Tesla: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 02:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
I don’t understand your logic. So you are saying a used car should have higher prices than a brand new car? You’re the boss man. I need to learn from you how to present everything upside down.
it will take some time for you to understand. These are shell games of Elon. offloading the lowest Model he makes on rental market and forcing consumers to buy the expensive versions much later and at higher prices.
other firms are upfront. they no longer selling to fleets and gearing production to loaded versions. Musk cannot even manage rims let alone productions. he is laughing stock. do you think those rental Model 3 coming with 19inch rims?
why do you think Acura introduce Advance-Aspec in RDX in addition to PMC?. rich are getting richer but total volume will go down.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:29 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,193 Likes on 4,062 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
seems there is not much demand for base version of Model 3. too many in used car market that less than 1 years old. and since this only thing Tesla can built in numbers. so better offload on Hertz.
consumers will be forced to buy the expensive versions.
base Model 3 with 18inch rims delivery is September next year. it is forcing people to buy with 19inch rims at $1500. I have doubt with 19inch rims this Tesla can go even 180 miles at highway speeds. Who want to rent it for day and waste time on over price supercharging.
You can get Accord Hybrid leather (50mpg, 600 mile range) interior with 17inch rims for $12K less and less wait.
I can tell you with 100000% certainty that a Tesla with 20" wheels can do 280 miles at highway speeds. Why? Because I have one and have done it.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:47 PM
Safety Car

i am referring to base version. you are still not getting over 300.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:03 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
I can tell you with 100000% certainty that a Tesla with 20" wheels can do 280 miles at highway speeds. Why? Because I have one and have done it.
You may be able to do that with 20” rims, but not with 19” rims. .
Old 10-27-2021, 06:28 PM
Ex-OEM King

i am referring to base version. you are still not getting over 300.
Don't move the goal posts. You specifically said that a Tesla on 19's cannot do over 180 miles on the highway and that is tangibly false and I have personally verified that it very much can a handful of times and am about to do so again on Friday.

I'll wait for you to admit that you are, once again, wrong.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:35 PM
Safety Car

I did i said long range version?. Hertz are not buying those for $43K. It is first time base version with 19inch rims are mixed. performance will be awful.
I only referring to rental value. Cars that will be repeatedly charged. unreliability with 19inch rims.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:31 AM
Ex-OEM King

I did i said long range version?. Hertz are not buying those for $43K. It is first time base version with 19inch rims are mixed. performance will be awful.
I only referring to rental value. Cars that will be repeatedly charged. unreliability with 19inch rims.
You said a Tesla with 19" wheels cannot do 180 miles. That is false. The rest of your stuff is bullshit, please stop lying. Please let the world know that you were wrong. No one likes a liar
Old 10-28-2021, 11:40 AM

Received 5,939 Likes on 2,930 Posts
You said a Tesla with 19" wheels cannot do 180 miles. That is false. The rest of your stuff is bullshit, please stop lying. Please let the world know that you were wrong. No one likes a liar
Lying or just...delusional?
Old 10-28-2021, 11:46 AM

Received 5,562 Likes on 3,797 Posts
^ Always moving the goal posts
Old 10-28-2021, 11:54 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Oh great, as if Comfy and Stunna didn't post whore enough the Tesla threads.......
The following users liked this post:
pttl (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 12:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
everyone should step aside and let the delusional vs. propaganda machine continue... i have been waiting for this to happen...

Honda/Toyota vs. Tesla...
The following 2 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
civicdrivr (11-03-2021), Comfy (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 01:20 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by ttribe
Lying or just...delusional?
We know he's delusional in general but this is just a flat out lie. I can deal with people being idiots but being a known liar is something unforgivable.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:26 PM
Safety Car

I am only discussing Hertz purchase and its version since there is no 18inch rims available. . dont extrapolate to other versions and prices. Please dont reply if you dont understand what i am referring too

Old 10-28-2021, 01:37 PM

^ Except he is an actual owner, giving real world experience, in a version with larger & (I assume) heavier unsprung weight.
I'm sure we can all find videos to counter & get to the result we want, but I'd give more preference to the actual Tesla owners we have here & their personal experience.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:43 PM
Ex-OEM King

I am only discussing Hertz purchase and its version since there is no 18inch rims available. . dont extrapolate to other versions and prices. Please dont reply if you dont understand what i am referring too
Do you even know what version of car they bought? If you do then you either work for Tesla fleet sales or for Hertz purchasing because it wasn't made public. They probably all come with the aero wheels because they're cheaper. You made a comment that is flat out false, even a standard range Model 3 can do more than 200 miles on a charge with 19" wheels. Either admit that you are wrong and lied or get out.

You do this all the time, when caught red handed you fight for a bit and then ghost out. When are you going to bring that Ridgeline to throw up against my Fiat off road???
Old 10-28-2021, 01:54 PM
Safety Car

Hertz is purchasing 100,00k vehicles for $4.2B. It is highly unlikely Tesla is giving them discounts to buy over $50k car for this prices.

I am very clear that Tesla has no rim size problem. that i identify for both Model 3 and Model Y. They are pushing the expensive larger rims to base models. Please read the whole thread. also look at the picture from Carvana to understand meaning of that pictures and why that version of Model 3 at Carvana.. Also look at links of Base model 2021 prices from Craigslist that i posted.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:10 PM
Ex-OEM King

Hertz is purchasing 100,00k vehicles for $4.2B. It is highly unlikely Tesla is giving them discounts to buy over $50k car for this prices.

I am very clear that Tesla has no rim size problem. that i identify for both Model 3 and Model Y. They are pushing the expensive larger rims to base models. Please read the whole thread. also look at the picture from Carvana to understand meaning of that pictures and why that version of Model 3 at Carvana.. Also look at links of Base model 2021 prices from Craigslist that i posted.
The SR+ with the 19" wheels and no other options is $45k so they're not getting that either. So it's the SR+ with 18" aero wheels. Carvana has nothing to do with anything and you don't know how/when these cars will get produced and in what configuration. Per your comment on price, ALL 100k cars will have to be white with black interior, no FSD, and 18" wheels to meet that price target. That is almost certainly not going to happen. Now STFU.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:30 PM
Safety Car

he can give small discounts if all same color, same interior. its clear they are getting the base version. so its unlikely they getting any usefull range version.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:35 PM

Plenty of range for the average rental user I'm sure. I imagine these will be going to large metro areas & likely for the short term, around town renter.
anything more & Hertz has plenty of ICE cars to rent to you.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:48 PM
Ex-OEM King

he can give small discounts if all same color, same interior. its clear they are getting the base version. so its unlikely they getting any usefull range version.
You clearly said no discounts. There's also no way Hertz is buying 100k of the exact same car lol. So now you're again moving goalposts in converting from "can't do 180 miles" to "useful range" lol.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:16 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,820 Likes on 6,574 Posts
I look forward to seeing how y'all will try to spin these facts as a negative for Tesla

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 10-28-2021 at 09:27 PM.
Comfy (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 11:40 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,820 Likes on 6,574 Posts
Comfy (10-29-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 07:31 AM
Race Director

Here's one which can't be fixed OTA:

Tesla is recalling a total of just under 3,000 2020-2021 Model Ys and 2019-2021 Model 3s to address a potential suspension separation issue. As of June 2, 2021, Tesla service departments had reported 39 instances of one or both front suspension lateral link fasteners being found loose or missing.

This is not the first time Tesla's quality control has been subverted by a semi-sentient torque wrench. Recall campaigns have been launched to address similar issues with the company's front seat belts, brakes and suspension control arms.

"The front suspension lateral link on Model 3 and Model Y vehicles is attached to the sub-frame using two fasteners. If a fastener is not secured to the correct specification, the fastener may loosen over time or separate from the subframe, which could cause the lateral link to separate from the sub-frame," Tesla's report to NHTSA said. The issue appears to stem from a combination of human and quality control process error, which Tesla also described in the report:

"During assembly, the operator is tasked with securing both fasteners to the correct specification, which are registered in the torque record for the vehicle. In rare circumstances, if the operator made several unsuccessful attempts to torque a fastener to specification, the operator may have subsequently loosened a properly secured fastener. The torque record may not have accounted for the loosening of the fastener."

An improperly torqued lateral link fastener shouldn't pose an immediate threat, but as it works itself loose, it can alter the car's alignment and make the car less predictable while turning or braking. It can also lead to accelerated, uneven tire wear and prematurely fatigue other suspension components. Tesla says the loose component will be audible before it completely separates. If you hear clunking noises that persist after bumps, your car may not be safe to operate.
Tesla recalls Model 3, Model Y for potential suspension separation (autoblog.com)
Old 10-30-2021, 02:26 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Why Did Hertz Choose Tesla Over Other EVs, And Pay Full Price?

Hertz's Tesla deal was more about convenience than emissions. The company could have picked up other EVs super cheap.

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:11am ET

Posted on EVANNEX on October 30, 2021 by Charles Morris

Car rental companies have been thinking about going electric for some time, but outside of Norway and California, there’s been little real action—until now. Rental giant Hertz theoretically began introducing EVs to its fleet in 2011, and competitors soon followed. However, they were offered only in select markets, sometimes at super-premium prices. Meanwhile, Teslas became popular on the peer-to-peer rental network Turo.
Above: Hertz is all-in with their upcoming buy with Tesla (Source: Hertz)Now Florida-based Hertz, which rents cars at some 12,000 locations in 160 countries, says it will place “an initial order of 100,000 Teslas by the end of 2022,” and will install “thousands of chargers throughout its location network.” Naturally, Hertz customers will also have access to Tesla’s Supercharger network.

“EVs will comprise more than 20 percent of Hertz’s global fleet and [are] expected to be supported by a combination of Level 2 and DC fast charging in approximately 65 markets by the end of 2022, and more than 100 markets by the end of 2023,” says the company. “Beginning in early November, customers will be able to rent a Tesla Model 3 at Hertz airport and neighborhood locations in US major markets and select cities in Europe.”

Bloomberg reported that Tesla is expected to earn around $4.2 billion of revenue from the deal. Doing the math implies that Hertz is paying something near the list price for the cars, which would be highly unusual for an order of this size—rental agencies and other fleet buyers usually secure substantial discounts from automakers.

We know that Tesla is allergic to discounts of any kind, but why did Hertz opt to lay out such a large sum on pricey Teslas, instead of buying a much cheaper American-made EV such as the https://insideevs.com/chevrolet/bolt/? One obvious reason is that Tesla’s prestige, in addition to allowing Hertz to charge a premium price, may mitigate customers’ reluctance to try driving electric. Another sweetener is the Supercharger network, a superior charging experience that no other automaker can offer. In the words of EV journalist
, “the Tesla Supercharger network made the sale.”
However, there’s another big reason that a Tesla is superior to any other EV for rental applications. One of the reasons the legacy rental agencies have been losing business to Turo is the latter’s far more convenient user experience. Depending on the airport, renting a car the old-fashioned way can involve waiting for a shuttle bus to an off-site lot, filling out paper forms and waiting in line to pick up your keys. When you rent a Tesla on Turo, you go directly to the airport parking garage, open the car with an app, get in and go—and all this is enabled by Tesla’s unique connectivity features.

For years, car rental firms have been working to streamline the pick-up and drop-off experience, but their efforts are often constrained by the logistics at America’s aging airports. If Hertz can take full advantage of Tesla’s features, it could offer superlatively seamless service. A Tesla could drive itself directly to baggage claim, with the AC already on and the seats already adjusted to your personal preferences. (Unfortunately, the obligatory sales pitch for expensive, unwanted insurance products is sure to remain part of the rental experience.)

It sounds like Hertz does indeed plan to take full advantage of Tesla’s autonomy and connectivity features. It will offer “a premium and differentiated rental experience for the Tesla EVs. This includes digitized guidance to educate customers about the electric vehicle to get them on their way quickly, and coming soon, an expedited EV rental booking process through the Hertz mobile app.” However, you can bet that, like the vehicles themselves, this service will not be cheap.

Will Tesla be able to deliver all these cars in a timely manner? Hertz says they will be delivered over the next 14 months. Tesla is already dealing with a supply crunch—it’s been raising prices on a regular basis, there’s a months-long waiting list, and used Teslas are selling for more than new ones. The Austin and Berlin Gigafactories are supposed to start production soon, so we’ll see.

“Electric vehicles are now mainstream, and we’ve only just begun to see rising global demand and interest,” said Hertz Interim CEO Mark Fields (who, ironically, stepped down as CEO of Ford in 2017 amid accusations that he wasn’t taking EVs seriously enough). “The new Hertz is going to lead the way as a mobility company, starting with the largest EV rental fleet in North America.”

https://insideevs.com/news/544435/he...t-convenience/
Old 11-01-2021, 07:43 PM
Race Director

Tesla says that sharing its Supercharger network has always been a company’s ambition. Sure: this is why it waited almost ten years to start doing so, not because the U.S. government promised incentives only to charging networks that are not brand-exclusive. Curiously, it created a pilot program in the Netherlands to test the idea, but there are good reasons for that.
22 phot
The first is that Tesla does not use its charging standard in Europe. The company adopts CCS2 connectors there, which other EVs also use. That prevents owners of EVs from different brands from needing adapters to use Superchargers.

The second is that Europe has way fewer Tesla vehicles than the U.S. Evaluating how things go on a small scale can help solve them before expanding the idea to Supercharging stations with more demand. That's a clear concern for the company: it said it “will be closely monitoring each site for congestion and listening to customers about their experiences.”

The list of Supercharging stations confirms that. Tesla opened the Apeldoorn Oost, Breukelen, Duiven, Eemnes, Hengelo, Meerkerk, Naarden, Sassenheim, Tilburg, and Zwolle stations to EVs from other manufacturers. As the map shows, most of them are not that close to major cities such as Amsterdam and have high evaluation scores, according to Google Maps. The high scores show these are locations less prone to present problems.

The pilot program is limited to people resident in the Netherlands, which means tourists and visitors will not be able to charge their EVs from other brands in these stations.

The EV users willing to use Tesla Superchargers will have to download the app, create an account, pick the option “Charge Your Non-Tesla,” add a payment method, select a stall, and click on “Start Charging.” This is the first point in which Tesla expects people to notice the difference between having a Tesla and an EV from another brand: the process to Supercharge a Tesla is seamless.

Another differentiation Tesla plans to offer its customers is lower prices for charging: the same ones they face nowadays. The explanation is simple: Tesla will charge more from non-Tesla owners.

People who have Teslas and EVs from other brands will be able to charge their other EVs in Superchargers with the same Tesla account. Idle fees will also apply to non-Tesla EVs so that they will not occupy a stall without adequately using it. That may catch some of these customers off guard.

If Tesla manages to avoid getting Superchargers so crowded that it will hurt the experience its regular customers have, sharing the network may be a great way to present the advantages of its products. It may also be an issue if Tesla customers are not that friendly to these new users or decide to share their problems with Tesla cars. Whatever the result is, Tesla will not reveal it to the press: we’ll have to wait for tweets from users and Elon Musk to discover how things are going. We’ll follow that anyway: it will be interesting to watch.
Tesla Starts Supercharger Pilot Program for Non-Tesla EVs in the Netherlands - autoevolution
Old 11-02-2021, 07:43 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I’d say, they really need to increase the supercharger density at least three times before they open it to everyone in the states.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:40 AM
Ex-OEM King

I’d say, they really need to increase the supercharger density at least three times before they open it to everyone in the states.
1.) Why do you care? Not like it matters to you.
2.) I don't think they should open it up at all.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:55 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,463 Likes on 4,981 Posts
I thought there were plenty of chargers across the country?
Old 11-03-2021, 09:01 AM

More is always better. There's 9 gas stations within about 2 miles of my house, some across the street from each other.
If EV adoption is going to increase, the charging infrastructure has to follow suit as well.

Granted, I live in the suburbs in a heavily residential area, so most would just charge at home, so charger density in my immediate area isn't a big deal.
Comfy (11-03-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 06:31 AM
Race Director

Today, Tesla has updated its pricing for Model 3 and Model Y vehicles to increase prices across the board once more.

The automaker’s cheapest vehicle has now increased in price by over 20% this year alone.

Tesla prices have increased widely across the entire lineup in 2021.

Last month alone, there were two significant price increases on Model 3 and Model Y.

Now Tesla is starting November with another based on an overnight update of its online configurator.

This time, along with the base price update, Tesla also changed the pricing of the paint options.

Solid Black costs now $500 more at $1,500 and Midnight Silver Metallic has been added as a standard option.

It means that Tesla now offers two paint colors at no additional cost: Pearl White Multi-Coat and Midnight Silver Metallic.

Tesla Model 3 Prices

Model 3 was hit the hardest in terms of price increases this year, and this new price increase was no exception.

Here are all the prices of the different versions of the Model 3:
  • Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus: price went from $43,990 to $44,990
  • Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD: price went from $49,990 to $50,990
  • Tesla Model 3 Performance: price went from $57,990 to $58,990
Here’s what the updated online configurator looks like now:
The Model 3 Standard Range Plus, which Tesla recently started calling Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive, has now increased in price by 21% this year.

It was selling for just $37,000 earlier this year and now it goes for $45,000, up by another $1,000 today.

At least, buyers are getting a little more out of the vehicle with this price increase.

Sources familiar with the matter told Electrek that the base version of the Model 3 will now come standard with a heated steering wheel and heated rear seats.

Tesla Model Y prices

With today’s online configurator update, Tesla also increased the prices of both versions of the Model Y.

Here are all the updated prices for all versions of the Model Y:
  • Tesla Model Y Long Range Dual Motor: price went from $56,99 to $57,990
  • Tesla Model Y Performance: price went from $61,990 to $62,990
Here’s what Tesla’s Model Y configurator looks like after the overnight update:
Model Y has received the same changes to the paint options like the Model 3.

With the update, Tesla also changed the delivery timelines based on adding options to the configurations.
Tesla increases Model 3 and Model Y prices across the board again, adds new standard paint - Electrek
Old 11-05-2021, 08:52 AM
Ex-OEM King

Glad I got in when I did... I probably would have gone for the silver if it was free back when I bought.

Also, there's this! Gotta finance the piss out of that car just so you can look cool to your friends. I guess this explains why I see WAY more people driving $50k-$60k cars around than I've ever seen before. Not like incomes have gone up that much.
  • Tesla buyers take on the longest loan terms, at an average of 67.1 months. Buyers of Ram trucks follow at 66.3 months, on average, while Mini and Lexus buyers take out the shortest loans, at an average of 59.7 and 60.4 months, respectively.
https://www.lendingtree.com/auto/lon...o-loans-study/
Old 11-05-2021, 09:11 AM

^ If you look at advertising (other mfgs) 60 months would be on the short side, with many hyping up 72-84 month loans.
60 has long been the 'norm' for car finance, and generally keeps you near or better from being upside down in it.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:30 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
^ If you look at advertising (other mfgs) 60 months would be on the short side, with many hyping up 72-84 month loans.
60 has long been the 'norm' for car finance, and generally keeps you near or better from being upside down in it.
Agreed but longest is still longest lol.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:44 AM

True, be curious to see that data once dealer stocks get closer to normal again, I'd expect that number to trend upward a bit.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
True, be curious to see that data once dealer stocks get closer to normal again, I'd expect that number to trend upward a bit.
It's trended upward throughout 2021 but the study was done over the past three years:

Analysts reviewed a sample of more than 29,000 auto loans that closed between Oct. 12, 2018, and Oct. 12, 2021, from consumers who were matched to their lender on the LendingTree platform.
00TL-P3.2 (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 11:42 AM
Ex-OEM King

Question is when are comfy and stunna going to take out that 72 month loan to buy a Model 3 standard range RWD?
Old 11-05-2021, 01:35 PM

The day Full Self Driving comes out of Beta.
Slpr04UA6 (11-12-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 02:15 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
The day Full Self Driving comes out of Beta.
So...never?
The following 2 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
civicdrivr (11-05-2021), Slpr04UA6 (11-12-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 03:20 PM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
Old 11-05-2021, 05:41 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Question is when are comfy and stunna going to take out that 72 month loan to buy a Model 3 standard range RWD?
I used to be a buy with cash only guy. But now I’ll only take a loan, probably 36-48 months, better keep that cash in TSLA.

Quick Reply: Tesla: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News