Porsche: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Not just a smell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
This right here tells me you know nothing. AWD in these conditions are going to help it out far more than the RWD of the porsche.
Third picture, which is a video with title "Behind the Scenes". Listen to Bruno Senna explain the cars and the conditions during his test. The relevant bits are from 0:45 to 1:12:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/2008/au...porsche-turbo/

Note that he also mentions the stock summer Bridgestones on the GT-R are not very good.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Not just a smell

...And your last statement makes you a even larger moron.
Originally Posted by nokiaman
That's the most foolish statement I've read in a while.
No, neither moronic nor foolish. It is a disparaging statement expressing my distain for the 911.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishy
No, neither moronic nor foolish. It is a disparaging statement expressing my distain for the 911.
Have you ever driven a recent, say 05 and newer 911?

I've driven nearly all variations from the base Carrera model to the GT3 RS and I have to tell you, saying that this car should only be used around oval banks, makes you sound like the most uninformed tool . I agree that it has a few imperfections as the front end is light when pushed extremely hard but in every other aspect it is on par if not superior to the competition.

I'm not going to further argue with you as anything to come out of germany seems to disgust you. I've loved my Bimmers ( ah that inline 6 ) and will get a Porsche soon enough.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:03 AM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
So basically, the 911's are more at home running on the high speed ovals than doing all that turning stuff. People should race them in the NASCAR series and leave the real road racing to better handling cars.

I actually thought most of your comments were just really sarcastic.

That is possibly the stupidest thing I've heard today and I have to talk to a lot of stupid people.

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
only solution:
lets get the STIG to take both out on the N-ring same day
agreed, however, that sexy German version of the Stig would be even more accurate.......(the van episode)
Old 11-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by black label
The people looking for Caymans, Boxsters, Cayennes and more basic 911's like Carrera S just weren't there anymore.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Myxomatosis
agreed, however, that sexy German version of the Stig would be even more accurate.......(the van episode)
u talking about sabine? yes! she should do a shootout
Old 11-30-2008, 01:47 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
"reacting to the fact that it may be inappropriate to pull up in a new Porsche when their neighbor's house is being foreclosed."
So because the economy is down it's politically incorrect to drive an expensive car? The well off will have to hide their goodies during every down cycle?
Old 11-30-2008, 06:47 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
u talking about sabine? yes! she should do a shootout

oh yes!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
So because the economy is down it's politically incorrect to drive an expensive car? The well off will have to hide their goodies during every down cycle?
I think that the statement you quoted was a bit of a cover up. What they were really trying to say is, "It would be really embarrassing for us to have cars sitting around on lots that we can't sell like we were Chevy or Chrysler. We don't ever want to have to offer 0% financing or dealer cash rebates to sell Porsches."

Selling cars in the low end of the extreme high end market is a tricky prospect. It's much better from Porsches perspective to keep demand high, even if it is lower than previous years. The only way to do that is keep production low, take orders for cars instead of selling ones that have already been produced. You can always increase production if the demand shows up but once you build them, you need to sell them.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Third picture, which is a video with title "Behind the Scenes". Listen to Bruno Senna explain the cars and the conditions during his test. The relevant bits are from 0:45 to 1:12:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/2008/au...porsche-turbo/

Note that he also mentions the stock summer Bridgestones on the GT-R are not very good.
And the Pilot sort cups are not good in damp conditions. The GT-R tires in the damp are far better.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Ah, the childish rebuttal: "Let's see you do better!". Your debating skills are weak.
The only thing childish is your knowledge of vehicle dynamics and road racing.

Yep I read the article. The problem with the GT-R is its weight. In anything but dry conditions, it can't utilize its AWD to the fullest in the turns.

It will lose traction and slide more than the lighter GT2 and lose its great cornering advantage. It needs to run tight fast lines and power out of turns to make up time over the GT2 because the GT2 will blow it away on the fast straights.

You can look at the track and conditions to see which car would be faster. The GTR would win in a dry technical course while the GT2 would win on damp high speed courses.

For the Ring on that day? Like I said, if Chris Harris was more familiar with the GT-R and drove it harder than you can with a borrowed private car, then he should have gone faster in the GT-R.

So basically, the 911's are more at home running on the high speed ovals than doing all that turning stuff. People should race them in the NASCAR series and leave the real road racing to better handling cars.
Your 5 paragraphs lead me to believe you've never set foot on a road course.

So you actually believe that the Porsche with it's R compound tires was putting power down efficiently? Both cars were handicapped by the conditions. I will take a AWD car on true street tires any day of the week. Again, your argument leads me to believe you are the typical armchair QB. The Porsche is running on Pilot Cup Sports, which are R compounds. R compounds need significant heat for them to grip effectively and obviously aren't great in the wet. In these conditions, the Michelins probably felt loose to Chris. The Bridgestones are a true street tire, which grip better in the wet and cold. Now, you will need to get a little heat in the Bridgestone too, but nothing like what's necessary for an R-compound.

In the conditions, AWD is a huge advantage.

Again, this is a test driven on the same day/same conditions/same driver. It's a good measuring stick for both cars capabilities.

Last edited by Maximized; 11-30-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

And the Pilot sort cups are not good in damp conditions. The GT-R tires in the damp are far better.
Yep, and the Pilot Cup Sports would be downright dangerous with standing water present.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Not just a smell

Originally Posted by Maximized
...So you actually believe that the Porsche with it's R compound tires was putting power down efficiently? Both cars were handicapped by the conditions. I will take a AWD car on true street tires any day of the week...
Ah guys, I did read the article... carefully. The GT2 had Pilot Sport Cup+. Plus! Plus! Plus! Here's the Michelin info:
"Easy to drive in wet conditions: wet road holding close to Michelin's sports tyre range (Pilot Sport 2) which was rated amongst the best in German press tests in March 2006 (ADAC, Sport Auto)."

http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk...312100262.html

Meanwhile the GT-R's summer Bridgestone RE070's suck in the dry and suck in the wet and definitely really suck in the cold and damp.

The critical issue for the GT-R is not putting the power down, it is having traction going into a turn to slow 400-500 extra lb's over the GT2. AWD does not make a difference here because its all brakes and tires. And if you don't have the traction, then you can't enter the turn correctly, which basically bollocks everything, including the exit.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Not just a smell

Originally Posted by nokiaman
I'm not going to further argue with you as anything to come out of germany seems to disgust you. I've loved my Bimmers ( ah that inline 6 ) and will get a Porsche soon enough.
No, I love the Cayman and the 5 series. Listen to the BMW engineers who chose the V8 for the M3. The I6 is obsolete.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:22 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Old 11-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Ah guys, I did read the article... carefully. The GT2 had Pilot Sport Cup+. Plus! Plus! Plus! Here's the Michelin info:
"Easy to drive in wet conditions: wet road holding close to Michelin's sports tyre range (Pilot Sport 2) which was rated amongst the best in German press tests in March 2006 (ADAC, Sport Auto)."

http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk...312100262.html

Meanwhile the GT-R's summer Bridgestone RE070's suck in the dry and suck in the wet and definitely really suck in the cold and damp.

The critical issue for the GT-R is not putting the power down, it is having traction going into a turn to slow 400-500 extra lb's over the GT2. AWD does not make a difference here because its all brakes and tires. And if you don't have the traction, then you can't enter the turn correctly, which basically bollocks everything, including the exit.
You are digging yourself deeper:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ilot+Sport+Cup

Take a peak at the wet ratings.

Quit while you are ahead.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I'd still take a GT-R over a GT2 mainly because the performance is at least equal but $70k is ALOT easier to come up with than $130k+.....
Old 11-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
@ Fishy...
Old 11-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Not just a smell

You are digging yourself deeper:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+ Cup

Take a peak at the wet ratings.

Quit while you are ahead.
Nah, you're just showing more and more of your inability to read. That page and review is for the Pilot Sport Cup. Look at the last paragraph:

"Original Equipment Pilot Sport Cup + (Plus) tires for BMW and N-Spec tires for Porsche applications feature a slightly different tread design with a thin circumferential groove around the outboard shoulder."

They are two different tires. The PSC is the original (dry) race tire. The PSC+ is less capable dry yet better wet and is more of a road tire than the original PSC.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Nah, you're just showing more and more of your inability to read. That page and review is for the Pilot Sport Cup. Look at the last paragraph:

"Original Equipment Pilot Sport Cup + (Plus) tires for BMW and N-Spec tires for Porsche applications feature a slightly different tread design with a thin circumferential groove around the outboard shoulder."

They are two different tires. The PSC is the original (dry) race tire. The PSC+ is less capable dry yet better wet and is more of a road tire than the original PSC.
I saw that and I knew that you would probably bring that up. I've seen these tires on GT3's at the track. They aren't a good wet tire due to the compound. Both tread paterns are R compound tires. Look at all the R compounds on TireRack and notice a trend in terms of wet weather.

I second @ Fishy

Again, you have no clue what you are talking about. You are better off getting back to playing Gran Turismo.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Not just a smell

...I've seen these tires on GT3's at the track. They aren't a good wet tire due to the compound.
Never said they were good wet tires, just better for the conditions on the GT2 than the RE070R's were on the GT-R.

...Both tread paterns are R compound tires. Look at all the R compounds on TireRack and notice a trend in terms of wet weather.
Let's look at a pic of the PSC+:
http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk...odeSite=MICHUK

Those inner grooves are 3-4 times wider than on the original PSC and sorry, the PSC+ looks more like my Pilot Alpin 3 snow tires than a dry track tire.

And well, if we're using tirerack, look at the extreme performance tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=EP

I'll concede that the GT-R might have had an advantage if it was shod with the Potenza RE-01R, but not the RE070R's, which are run-flats btw.

Again, you have no clue what you are talking about...
No, you're only thinking in simple generalities... track tire: bad wet! road tire: good wet!

How about you show a review of the RE070(R) as anything but useless in the cold and damp?
Old 11-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Never said they were good wet tires, just better for the conditions on the GT2 than the RE070R's were on the GT-R.
Do you understand what an "R Compound" is? It's apparent you do not. An R compound requires heat to stick and generally are poor in the wet. Read the actual reviews on Tire Rack if you don't believe me.

I still want to understand how a cold & damp day favors a rear weight biased RWD car on R compounds. Did you learn this playing Gran Turismo?

Let's look at a pic of the PSC+:
http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk...odeSite=MICHUK

Those inner grooves are 3-4 times wider than on the original PSC and sorry, the PSC+ looks more like my Pilot Alpin 3 snow tires than a dry track tire.
Again, both the standard PSC and PSC+ are R compound tires. See my post above. The + is simply a modified tread pattern.

And well, if we're using tirerack, look at the extreme performance tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=EP

I'll concede that the GT-R might have had an advantage if it was shod with the Potenza RE-01R, but not the RE070R's, which are run-flats btw.

No, you're only thinking in simple generalities... track tire: bad wet! road tire: good wet!

How about you show a review of the RE070(R) as anything but useless in the cold and damp?
I never said the RE070R's were great in the conditions. Max performance tires also are affected by the conditions, but not as much as an R compound. I have RE050A Pole Positions on my car and they would hook fairly well in the dry when the it was around 40 degrees out. That's in a RWD car putting down more power than the GTR. I'd imagine that with the GTR's AWD system, it would barely spin if it all.

Take the tin foil off your head. This test is one of the most comprehensive tests that has ever been done with the two cars. Just because the results don't favor your fanboism, doesn't mean the test is invalid. FYI, if I was in the market for a car that expensive I'd buy a Z06. To me, it's a more rewarding track car. I just wanted to put that out there so you know I am not a Porsche fanboy.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Here is the video with Chris's comments:
http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_t...&area=features
Old 12-01-2008, 02:16 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
@ Fishy +3

seems like I'm better off forcing myself to read Fishy's entire posts now instead of scanning over his name and the first line now, they're actually pretty good for a laugh. Its one thing to kick yourself in the head, but it's a whole 'nother thing to continue to do it over and over.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:45 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
omfg what the fuck is going on here??

can you guys just exchange cellphone numbers and debate on the phone?
Old 12-01-2008, 02:50 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
disregard ^ post.

After reading some of Fishy's posts.... I conclude that.... Fishy does not have a single idea in regards to CARS and racing.

wow just wow
Old 12-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Man you have really out done yourself with this comment. That tire is still shit in the rain compared to the tire on the GT-R. Run flat or not it doesnt make it a bad tire in the rain. Sure there are better tires in the rain , but the pilot sport cup+ are not it. They are a R compound and you obviously have no idea what that is. And your logic of AWD and this car are even worse than your understanding of the tires involved and you make it very obvious of that with your statements.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Not just a smell

...I still want to understand how a cold & damp day favors a rear weight biased RWD car on R compounds...
You don't need to understand that. Conditions where traction is sub-optimal favor the lighter car. The GT2 is a far lighter car than the GT-R and this, as noted by C. Harris and B. Senna is the dominant differentiating factor.
...Just because the results don't favor your fanboism, doesn't mean the test is invalid...
I'm not a GT-R fanboi and the test results are inline with what I expect given the pre-conditions. The only issue I have is with any coorelation between this test and Nissan's 7:29 run.
Man you have really out done yourself with this comment.
Thanks, I try
...the pilot sport cup+ are not it. They are a R compound...
Yes. As you and Maximized so eloquently eplained, PSC(+) have no place on a road car. The fact that Porsche and BMW OE them for homologation purposes on thinly veiled track spec cars is to be despised. Porsche accused Nissan of testing an out of spec GT-R, specifically the tires. Yet they are more guilty of this than Nissan.

The GT-R is a true road car under $100K and an apples to apples comparison with a Porsche would be the Carrera, which the GT-R beats soundly.

What is apparent, is that the Porsche drivers need an understanding on AWD driving in the GT-R more than I apparently need to . Nissan is being gracious by offering lessons and Porsche should take them up on it.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Suzuka Master

You don't need to understand that. Conditions where traction is sub-optimal favor the lighter car. The GT2 is a far lighter car than the GT-R and this, as noted by C. Harris and B. Senna is the dominant differentiating factor.
Did you watch the video? Chris was short shifting and not running the GT3 hard. Chris Harris's comments in the video prove that you are 100% WRONG.

What is apparent, is that the Porsche drivers need an understanding on AWD driving in the GT-R more than I apparently need to . Nissan is being gracious by offering lessons and Porsche should take them up on it.
And Porsche would simply have to do is post their motorsports accomplishments....Game, Set, Match. Porsche has been doing AWD sports cars for a long time. Nissan offering up driving lessons is a joke. I personally think that Nissan sent a ringer to the 'Ring and this and various other tests tend to support that theory.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I'd still take a GT-R over a GT2 mainly because the performance is at least equal but $70k is ALOT easier to come up with than $130k+.....
GT2 is roughly $200K so you would actually need you GT-R money + another $130K. I've got a 700 mile used GT2 that is stickered at $229,000.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:45 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
Not politically incorrect, but socially uncomfortable to drive a new Porsche next to a neighbor who is losing job, with the house foreclosing.

I think the general automotive industry has been functioning with growth that can not be sustained. There are just more cars than buyers. the industry needs changes.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
GT2 is roughly $200K so you would actually need you GT-R money + another $130K. I've got a 700 mile used GT2 that is stickered at $229,000.
Well there you go. THat makes my point even more so. Can you say GT-R, M3, S5, and CTS-V all for the price of one GT2!
Old 12-10-2008, 05:05 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
[COLOR="Red"]What I saw as last summer wore on was the people looking for big ticket items, 911 Turbos, Cayenne Turbos, people looking for a GT2, they were still their in full force. The people looking for Caymans, Boxsters, Cayennes and more basic 911's like Carrera S just weren't there anymore.
I think what separates this downturn from the shallow recessions of recent memory is that even the high-end wealthy consumer is pulling back. Luxury goods are suffering across the board -- that is what makes this retrenchment unique.

I'm not a baller, but to be perfectly frank, part of the reason I've hesitated to pull the trigger on a fun car is that while my neighbors are still relatively affluent -- it still seems a tad distasteful to tear around in a flossy car when you know people in the community in general are hurting.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Sneak Peak Inside Porsche's New €100 million Museum

Old 01-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
NICE. looks like a Zaha
Old 01-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Wow...this is a must-visit place...

Press release...

One of the greatest and most spectacular building projects in the history of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG was completed in December 2008: the new Porsche Museum in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen. Located directly in the very heart of this unique sports car company so rich in tradition, the Museum serves to present the fascinating thrill and diversity of the Porsche brand to visitors from all over the world.

More than 80 cars are on display in the 5,600 square metre (60,250 square feet) Exhibition Area styled and designed futuristically by the Viennese architects Delugan Meissl, ranging from the legendary wheel hub motor of the Lohner-Porsche, the world’s first hybrid automobile built as far back as in 1900, all the way to the latest generation of the Porsche 911.

No less than 170 architects from all over Europe applied for the project before the architects of the Delugan Meissl office won the tender in February 2005. Construction work at Porscheplatz in Zuffenhausen started just half a year later and in November 2007 the body of the Exhibition Building was lowered on to three concrete cores, the first exhibits moving into the Exhibition Area not even one year later. On 8 December 2008, finally, the Museum was handed over to Porsche exactly on time.

Porsche expects more than 200,000 visitors to the Museum each year, so-called Theme Islands and numerous small exhibits seeking to present the “Porsche Idea” in all its complexity. Apart from the exhibition itself, the historical archives and the “transparent” workshop for historical cars, the Museum offers a wide range of catering services complete with a coffee bar, a bistro and an exclusive restaurant, as well as generous conference areas finished mainly in white, the fundamental colour of the Museum.

The new Porsche Museum is also available as an event location for other purposes, for example for conferences, film screenings or concerts, quite independently of the usual exhibition activities.

The new building at Porscheplatz is located at a very important place in the history of German automobile production, since this is where the Porsche Design Office moved to from downtown Stuttgart to Plant 1 in Zuffenhausen back in 1938. In the same year the forerunners of the VW Beetle saw the light of day precisely here at this location, followed by the Type 64 Porsche as the ancestor of all Porsche sports cars, the legendary Berlin-Rome car, in 1939.

Sports cars proudly bearing the now world-famous Porsche logo have been built here in Zuffenhausen ever since 1950.

The exhibition concept

The actual Exhibition Area is made up of a daring steel structure resting on just three concrete cores and appearing to hover in space, covering a span of up to 60 metres or almost 200 feet. Inside the Museum Porsche’s historical cars and some 200 additional exhibits are grouped together in a carefully planned and highly attractive arrangement.

The visitor is guided through the Museum by the history of Porsche products, conveying the Porsche Idea through characteristic features such as “fast”, “light”, “clever”, “powerful”, “intense” and “consistent”.

Proceeding from precisely this fundamental philosophy, Porsche to this date has created trendsetting technical solutions for elementary challenges in automobile production. Just how consistently and convincingly the Porsche Idea has been conveyed into reality also follows from the development projects carried out by Porsche on behalf of other companies, Porsche Engineering, the subsidiary responsible for such projects, taking on a firm place in the Museum through selected examples of its work.

The exhibition concept of the new Porsche Museum was developed by the specialists of the Stuttgart HG Merz architects’ office in cooperation with Professor Gottfried Korff, a specialist on museology at Tübingen University not far from Stuttgart. Through their concept the creators of the Museum seek “to present issues of great significance to the Company and, at the same time, to document the long history of Porsche in its products.”

Indeed, this interaction of product history, the arrangement of specific themes and the Porsche Idea provides a perfect trinity of highlights borne out, for example, by the Porsche 356 America Roadster built in the early ’50s. Weighing less than 600 kg or 1,323 lb in road trim, this is indeed the ideal testimony to the concept of lightweight engineering. At the same time the Targa Florio theme underlines Porsche’s outstanding achievements again in lightweight engineering, combined with the success of Porsche’s extra-light racing cars also highlighted by the plastic body of the Porsche 908 race car.

In addition to all this, the interactive mediatheque, micro-cinemas and mobile audio-guides offer the visitor supplementary in-depth information.

From the exhibition straight to the road: the “Museum on Wheels”

Porsche cars do not grow old. Instead, they become classics still suited in every respect for road use. Indeed, this is one of the secrets behind the success of the brand, which is also why the exhibits proudly presented in the Porsche Museum are always on the move, nearly all of the vehicles exhibited being entered regularly in historical races and drive events as Porsche’s “Museum on Wheels”.

In 2009, for example, the 550 A Spyder will be making an appearance in the Italian Mille Miglia and the 356 Carrera Abarth GTL will be entering the Classic Adelaide in Australia. So instead of a conventional, static exhibition, the visitor is able to enjoy a constantly changing succession of cars with rarities re-arranged time and again.

Unique: the “transparent” Museum Workshop and the Porsche Archives

Porsche lives out its history – and customers live out Porsche’s history too. To ensure the highest level of care and maintenance for the brand’s historical cars, Porsche has established a special Museum Workshop where private customers are also able to have their classic cars restored. The visitor, in turn, has the opportunity to watch Porsche’s master mechanics and specialists working on all kinds of classic Porsches. For before the visitor even enters the exhibition, he will pass by the glass partition to the Museum Workshop, enjoying a truly unique experience of transparency offered the world over in this way only by the new Porsche Museum.

The historical Porsche Archives with all its treasures has also moved to the new Museum and is partly in sight through glass walls from the lobby. After registering in advance, specialists and enthusiasts are able to visit the archives for their research on the history of Porsche.

The Porsche Museum experience: the Catering and Event Area

Apart from the Museum shop, the coffee bar and the bistro, the new Porsche Museum offers two further highlights – the exclusive Christophorus Restaurant and a special Event Area. Visitors reach the restaurant through a separate entrance and may therefore enjoy all the culinary delights and amenities also after the Museum’s opening hours.

Looking out of the guest area, visitors enjoy a truly symbolic view, admiring not only the cars in the Exhibition Area but also Porscheplatz and the Porsche Plant itself to be seen clearly through the glass facade.

This interaction of past and future clearly underlines the pledge of the Company to its roots.

The third floor offers ample space for events of all kinds and size, providing an ideal setting for meetings, seminars, conferences, lectures, concerts and film presentations. This area is indeed highly flexible in its use, mobile partitions serving to adjust the Event Area to the number of guests.

The Event Level moves on directly to a generous roof terrace. This spectacular location out in the open is reserved for special highlights such as car launches or particular presentations benefiting from the large dimensions and impressive space available.

Spectacular architecture: the “hovering” Museum

Ingenious ideas, fascinating technology and legendary cars certainly deserve an appropriate setting offered in perfection by the architecture of Porsche’s new Museum. And one thing is for sure: the building designed by Delugan Meissl is a genuine eye-catcher. Resting on just three V-shaped pillars, the dominant main body of the Museum appears to hover high above the ground like a monolith. This is the venue of the actual Exhibition, the Christophorus Restaurant and the Event Area with its roof terrace.

The basic building structure beneath the monolith houses the Lobby, the Museum Workshop and the Archives, the bistro and coffee bar as well as the Museum shop.

The two bodies of the building are connected by a partly glazed, dynamically angled stairwell and a lift. A double-level underground garage with some 260 parking spaces, finally, offers visitors appropriate convenience in parking their car.

The monolith and the basic building structure stand out from every perspective through their polygonous, avantgarde shapes as well as their various structures and window areas differing consistently in their geometry. The glazed front side of the Museum measuring 23 metres or 75 feet in height and proudly presenting the name “Porsche” faces to the north, proudly welcoming visitors and passers-by driving into town in their car. Hence, the architects have succeeded on the one hand in creating an absolutely outstanding highlight ranking unique in its environment and, on the other hand, in generating a well-balanced overall impression.

“The new Porsche Museum creates a unique experience in space appropriately reflecting the self-confident attitude and the supreme standard of the Company through its architecture and at the same time bearing out all of Porsche’s dynamic character. Knowledge, credibility and a determined stance are just as much part of the Museum’s philosophy as courage, enthusiasm, power and independence. Every idea is seen as an opportunity to openly accept new challenges, to venture forward to the very limit, and at the same time to remain faithful to oneself. All this is to be reflected by this Museum”.

This is how the architects at Delugan Meissl express their dedication to the new Porsche Museum in Stuttgart. For it was this office from Vienna which in early 2005 won the architects’ contest for the development and construction of the new Porsche Museum in all its glory.

Welcoming the visitor as a true guest: generosity is seductive

The Porsche Museum welcomes the visitor with a generous gesture, the monolith opening up between the lower level and the street level to the generous height of 10 metres or almost 33 feet to enhance the broad open space of the area in front of the Museum. Having passed through the main entrance, the visitor will come to the Lobby leading on to the bistro and coffee bar as well as the Museum shop, the cloakroom and cash registers. The rising design of the roof on the basic building structure provides ample space opposite the entrance for a second floor where the reading hall of the Archives is clearly in sight.

Moving up an escalator, the visitor enters the Exhibition Area in the upper part of the building covering an area of approximately 5,600 square metres or 53,800 square feet. Now he can decide whether to start his tour of the Museum in chronological order with the history of the Company prior to 1948 or whether he would like to move on directly to the main exhibition area a few steps higher, following the likewise chronological presentation of the Company’s history after 1948.

The Museum Exhibition

The journey in time through the history of the Company starts in the Porsche Museum with a truly outstanding vision: At the entrance leading into the Exhibition the visitor will immediately admire the body of the legendary Porsche Type 64, the Berlin-Rome car built back in 1939. The Type 64 is indeed the great-grandfather of all Porsche cars already boasting the unmistakable DNA which makes the sports cars from Zuffenhausen so unique the world over to this very day.

Even though this trendsetting racing car was never raced on account of the war, it was the first rendition of numerous features characteristic of Porsche to this very day: lightweight technology and aerodynamic design, outstanding performance, reliable technology, and that typical look so characteristic of a Porsche. Precisely these features of the Type 64 clearly bear out the Porsche idea the visitor will experience so visibly through numerous highlights and examples in the Exhibition.

The Type 64 not only welcomes visitors to the Exhibition, but also serves as the link connecting the history of Porsche prior to and after 1948, the year in which the first Porsche 356 saw the light of day. Symbolically, it offers the visitor the alternative to either focus on the Prologue all about the early decades of Ferdinand Porsche as an automotive engineer and designer or to start his tour of the Museum with the history of Porsche as of 1948.

The Prologue: Porsche before 1948

Ranging from electrical wheel hub drive on the Lohner-Porsche as early as in the year 1900 all the way to the start of Porsche’s own car production in the Austrian town of Gmünd in 1948, the “Porsche before 1948” Exhibition Area describes the activities of Ferdinand Porsche in individual episodes.

Apart from various engines, the visitor is able to admire the Austro-Daimler Sascha and the Mercedes Monza racing car. The re-start of the Company after the war, in turn, is borne out by the Type 360 Cisitalia Grand Prix racing car developed by Porsche and, accounting for a production volume of 21.5 million units, the probably most-built Porsche construction ever – the Volkswagen Beetle.

The final highlight in this Prologue is reserved for the famous Porsche “Number 1”, the first prototype of the Porsche 356 built in 1948.

The exhibits represent various milestones in the life of Ferdinand Porsche and, as a result, the visions which have shaped the Company and the brand over so many years and decades.

The Porsche Idea accompanies the entire exhibition throughout the Museum: The chronological presentation of Porsche products following the Prologue guides the visitor in a clear process to the various theme arrangements focusing in detail on the Porsche Ideas and their practical results so typical of the brand. Ultimately, therefore, the visitor is guided through the entire Exhibition Level all the way to the final point on the Upper Platform.

The “lightweight” idea: the Porsche 356 America Roadster and the Targa Florio

The power-to-weight ratio of a vehicle has always been the decisive factor particularly in the construction of sports cars, that is the ratio between the weight of the car and its engine output. Precisely this is why Porsche has sought from the very beginning to reduce weight and ensure perfect lightweight engineering.

This “lightweight” idea is highlighted by exhibits focusing on the Targa Florio, the famous long-distance road race through the mountains of Sicily, and underlines lightweight technology as one of Porsche’s core skills.

Racing in the Targa Florio, Porsche’s race cars were superior to the competition and thus highly successful mainly on account of their light and agile construction. Right from the start, the Porsche 356 America Roadster was the lightest Porsche of its time.

Another example of this philosophy is the extremely thin plastic-fibre body of the short-tail Porsche 908 Coupé built in 1968 and illuminated from inside, weighing a mere 130 kg or 287 lb.

The “clever” idea: the Porsche 356 B 2000 GS Carrera GT and various Porsche concept cars

Taking up all kinds of challenges in technology, Porsche looks consistently not just for a fast solution, but rather for the best conceivable answer. Hence, the idea of being “clever” is borne out clearly in all of Porsche’s engineering activities. Ever since 1971 Porsche engineers at the Research and Development Centre in Weissach have been developing and optimising all kinds of technical solutions, nurturing their love for technical details going back all the way to Ferdinand Porsche himself.

Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB), VarioCam valve management and the Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) or double-clutch gearbox are just some examples of these technologies developed by Porsche.

Another example also presented here is the Porsche 356 B 2000 GS Carrera GT already featuring an all-synchromesh gearbox back in 1960.

This “clever” idea corresponds with other models presented as studies or concept cars, Porsche’s test vehicles and prototypes standing out clearly as supreme examples of technological innovation. And it is important to note that Porsche’s studies and concept cars are far more than just regular show cars of the usual kind.

On the contrary – all of these cars are fully functional and come with innovations offering both practical benefits and technical feasibility al in one.

The “fast” idea: the Porsche 911 Carrera RS 2.7 Coupé and the 24 Hours of Le Mans

The central themes of the “fast” idea are the aerodynamics and ease of control a car is able to offer. After all, even the most powerful engine is of no use if the driver does not remain in control. Precisely this is why Ferry Porsche sought from the beginning to make his cars both easy to control and aerodynamic, thus achieving even higher speeds on the road.

Superior aerodynamics is indeed one of the decisive factors crucial to superior speed, the Porsche 911 Carrera RS 2.7 Coupé with its characteristic “ducktail” rear spoiler making its appearance in 1973 as the fastest road-going car in Germany, with a top speed of 240 km/h or 149 mph.

In motorsport the benchmark for speed is Le Mans. For only the driver and manufacturer with a really robust car able to reach a high top speed is able to win this legendary 24-hour race, maximum speed being the all-important factor – more than in virtually any other race – on the long Hunaudières Straight.

Thanks to superior competence in aerodynamics clearly confirmed by legendary sports cars, Porsche has scored numerous class wins and no less than 16 overall victories in Le Mans. One example is the overall distance record of 5,335 kilometres or 3,308 miles set up in 1971 by the short-tail version of the Porsche 917 at an average speed of 222 km/h or 138 mph, which remains unbeaten to this very day.

Perhaps the leading technical exhibit for the concept of “fast” is the Porsche 956 suspended in spectacular arrangement above the visitor’s head from the ceiling of the Museum, demonstrating that at a speed of 321.4 km/h or 199.1 mph this unique racing car can theoretically drive along the ceiling.

The “powerful” idea: the Porsche 911 Turbo 3.0 Coupé and the era of the Porsche 917

In the early ‘70s Porsche was more successful in motorsport than ever before, dominating virtually all competitors. Indeed, this also led to a new technical commitment within the Company, Porsche now developing the most powerful engines in addition to the best cars in terms of lightweight technology.

High-performance power units and their particular features are therefore the highlight of this part of the exhibition. In motorsport it was the Porsche 917, that outstanding power machine, which dominated events for so long and is proudly presented to the visitor in this area.

A twelve-cylinder boxer engine stripped down to its individual parts serves as the exhibit. This generation of power units reached its climax in 1973 in the guise of the Porsche 917/30, a 1200-bhp turbocharged supersports and the most powerful Porsche of all times.

The technologies developed for even greater power and performance on the race track were subsequently carried over successfully to Porsche’s road-going sports cars, the turbocharged power unit soon hitting the headlines in the Porsche 911 Turbo presented here as the reference exhibit on the history of Porsche. The Turbo thus becomes the synonym of Porsche technology.

How is a Porsche created?

The question as to “how a Porsche is created?” is also answered right in the middle of this journey in time through the history of the Company: Reaching the central point on the Exhibition Level, the visitor is offered an insight into the Weissach Research and Development Centre as well as the Car Production Plant in Zuffenhausen. In the process, cutaway models demonstrate how a Porsche is created, developed and built for the customer.

The focus is on design, development and production, films and exhibits informing the visitor of development processes taking place in parallel and offering a good impression of how, through cooperation and networking, high-quality products may be developed to full production standard within a relatively short time.

The creative think-tank: Porsche Engineering

During his – or her – journey through the history of Porsche, the visitor will also encounter Porsche Engineering. Ever since Ferdinand Porsche established his Construction Office in 1931, Porsche has offered external clients a wide range of engineering services. Exceptional exhibits such as the rare Porsche Hunting Car built in 1956, the C88 concept car developed for the Chinese market in 1994, and the McLaren MP4 TAG Formula 1 racing car powered by a TAG Turbo engine made by Porsche emphasise the sheer diversity of Porsche’s development activities for other manufacturers.

Other highlights to be admired are truly unusual constructions and technology concepts not even recognisable at first sight as typical Porsche developments.

The “intense” idea: the Porsche 959 Coupé and motorsport

The Porsche 959 Coupé, a genuine dream and supersports car built in the ‘80s, impressively conveys the passion of Porsche’s engineers. Conceived originally as a Group B racing car for use in motorsport, the Porsche 959 stands in the new Porsche Museum for the “intense” idea so typical of motorsport with all its emotions.

Motorsport is indeed the starting point for Porsche in the development and improvement of production cars, but also stands for success, triumph and emotion. The passion of the Company, its engineers, mechanics, drivers and aficionados the world over is indeed the essential factor and the fundamental difference borne out in more than 28,000 racing victories.

Since it is impossible to present the thrill of motorsport through technical exhibits alone, not only legendary racing cars, but also emotional symbols such as the historical starter’s flag for the 24 Hours of Le Mans and more than 150 coveted trophies offer the visitor a truly “intense” experience of this idea.

The “consistent” idea: the Porsche 911 and its evolution

No other car the world over can look back at such a continuous tradition in design and style as the Porsche 911. Indeed, the 911 has been truly unmistakable ever since its introduction in 1964, regardless of the model generation and when the car was built.

Initiated by the current 911 Carrera, the “consistent” idea focuses on various design highlights of a Porsche.

First and foremost, the lines of a Porsche sports car are determined by consistent reduction to the essential – a philosophy carried forward over the years and decades from Ferdinand Porsche through his son Ferry all the way to his grandson Ferdinand Alexander. Taking models of the VW Beetle, the Porsche 550 and the Porsche 904 as examples, this area in the Exhibition highlights the design language of Porsche’s sports cars, the silhouettes of various models in the 356 and 911 range projected above one another exemplifying the closely related design of all Porsche cars.

This theme also presents the evolution of the Porsche 911 Turbo now in its sixth generation following the launch of the original model back in 1975. To clearly present this evolution, the various versions of the 911 Turbo are presented on pedestals turning in synchronised 90° steps and thus allowing a direct comparison from all angles.

Focusing on the present: “My Porsche”

Forming the final emotional highlight of the exhibition, “My Porsche” presents customer and cult cars in various designs on a kind of catwalk. The highlights to be admired here include a Porsche diesel tractor built in 1960 and a 911 Carrera painted by the famous Aboriginal artist Biggibilla.

Numerous model cars and toys relating to Porsche are also to be admired here, while that unique Porsche sound is presented in all its glory beneath three sound “showers”. As a result, “My Porsche” boasts the particularly close emotional relationship of countless enthusiasts the world over to that unique brand from Zuffenhausen.

The Museum Workshop and the Porsche Archives

Despite their excellent condition, the historical cars featured in Porsche’s “museum on wheels” obviously require regular care and maintenance in order to enter all kinds of competitions and events at any time. Precisely this is why specialists in the Museum Workshop prepare all historical racing and sports cars for their worldwide activities, conducting regular maintenance and carrying out repairs where required.

The same specialists are also at the disposal of private customers for the restoration of their classic Porsches, These include all road cars whose series production ended at least ten years ago, that is the 356, 914, 959 and 911 including the 964 model series, as well as water-cooled four- and eight-cylinder models.

These highly skilled specialists and mechanics do their wonderful job in public, instead of hiding behind closed doors: This is the world’s only Museum Workshop where the visitor is able to directly observe the work in progress, a glass partition in the lobby of the Museum offering a clear view of the Workshop.

Pooled skills: the Museum Workshop Team

The Workshop Team is made up of one master mechanic, three mechanics, an upholsterer and a customer advisor. Naturally they all have lots of experience with Porsche cars of all model years both in series production and motorsport. After all, it is also their job to correctly tune and set up the sensitive high-performance power units in classic racing cars such as the twelve-cylinder turbocharged engine of a Porsche 917.

To do this job with utmost perfection, the specialists benefit from the most advanced tooling and equipment with two car hoists, lathes and milling machines enabling them to carry out virtually all service, repair and restoration processes. And if necessary they are able to re-build even simple mechanical components.

Minor body repairs are also handled here, while the Workshop Team has full access to Porsche’s entire infrastructure for all ongoing work and requirements.

Porsche’s memory: the Historical Archives

The new Porsche Museum also houses a Central Department offering all the historical and contemporary knowledge about Porsche. Indeed, it was only logical for the Historical Archives of Porsche AG to move into the Museum, directly above the Museum Workshop.

Acting as the “memory” of the Porsche Group, the Porsche Archives collect all important information relating in commercial, technical, social or cultural terms to Porsche AG and its subsidiaries. The Archives maintain all knowledge, facts and figures of significance throughout the unique story of Porsche’s success, ranging from the early days of Ferdinand Porsche as an automotive engineer through the Construction Office established in 1931 all the way to Porsche AG as the Company exists today.

The Porsche Archives now extend along a total distance of approximately 2,000 metres or almost 6,600 feet, spread out on shelves, displays, steel cabinets and even vaults.

Conducting research on the spot: open also to visitors

The Historical Archives with all its sources is at the disposal not only of the Company’s own internal departments, but also of visitors and interested parties from outside the Company. So after registering in advance, journalists, scientists or owners of a classic Porsche are able to conduct their own personal research in the Archives’ reading area.

As one of the largest picture archives in the automotive industry, the Porsche Archives comprise more than 2.5 million pictures, a media archive with over 1,500 hours of footage, and a library with more than 3,000 car books. A further highlight is the comprehensive collection of written documents on the history of Porsche products, racing activities and the Company as such. These particularly highlights in the Archives are stored in some 3,500 special boxes.

Through a glass wall the visitor to the Museum enjoys a wonderful view of the reader’s room and the library. And the visitor inspired by this view is able to choose among a wide range of books about Porsche and a selection of authorised literature offered in the Museum Shop.

Events and Catering

Apart from the actual exhibition, the new Porsche Museum also has an exclusive Event Level as well as a truly versatile range of culinary highlights tailored to the individual wishes and preferences of Porsche’s guests. So whether it is a special cup of coffee, international snacks or the most exclusive cuisine – the Porsche Museum offers the right choice for everybody.

This in-house catering service is run by the Porsche Dienstleistungsgesellschaft (PDLG), Porsche’s Service and Catering Company.

Right from the start when entering the lobby, the visitor may go straight to the coffee bar or to the “Boxenstopp” Restaurant for guests, enjoying fresh meals in a friendly environment together with his or her family, friends or colleagues.

Wining and dining with a unique view: the Christophorus Restaurant

The Christophorus Restaurant on the second upper floor is on the same level as the Exhibition and is therefore accessible both through the Museum and through a separate entrance, that is beyond the regular opening hours of the Museum itself.

The Restaurant seeks to offer the highest standard of culinary excellence, enabling the gourmet to enjoy both Mediterranean and regional delicacies as well as the most exquisite wines. A particular highlight on the menu is US prime beef grilled fresh right in front of the eyes of the guest by Porsche’s very best chefs. And after visiting the Restaurant, the satisfied connoisseur may then enjoy the rest of the evening in the adjacent Cigar Lounge.

Looking through the generous glass façade, guests in the restaurant enjoy a wonderful panoramic view of Porscheplatz and the production building where Porsche sports cars and engines are built. And looking through another glass wall separating the Restaurant from the Exhibition, guests also have the opportunity to admire the various cars on display in the Museum itself.

For very special events: the Event Level

The third upper level in the Museum is available for all kinds of events varying in both nature and size. On an area of 600 square metres or almost 6,500 square feet, the Event Level offers the most advanced media technology for meetings, seminars, conferences, lectures, film presentations or concerts.

The facilities and equipment available include video-conferencing technology, large screens, interpreters’ booths and special-effect loudspeakers. Mobile partitions allow individual adjustment of room size depending on the number of guests attending an event. And a particular attraction of great interest is the 800 square metre (8,600 square feet) roof terrace which may be easily integrated in the Event Area.

Chronology of the New Porsche Museum

30 July 2004 The Board of Management of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG announces the decision to build the new Porsche Museum at Porscheplatz in Zuffenhausen.

October 2004 The final competition for the new Museum is held among ten renowned architects’ offices from Germany, Austria and Switzerland. In all, 170 European architects’ offices had applied for the project.

31 January 2005 The jury under the guidance of architect Professor Fritz Auer (Stuttgart/Munich) awards the first prize to the Viennese architects’ office Delugan Meissel for their draft of the Museum Building.

4 February 2005 The Vienna architects’ office Delugan Meissl receives the assignment from Porsche’s Board of Management to build the new Museum.

17 October 2005 Installation of an unconventional building placard marks the official starting point for the construction of the new Museum.

21 September 2006 The new Museum slowly takes shape, work on the first upper level and the three concrete cores ultimately supporting the dynamically shaped exhibition body proceeding in construction at a fast and dynamic pace. By this time some 21,000 cubic metres of concrete and 4,000 tonnes of reinforcement steel had already been used.

February 2007 Completion of the basic building structure. This marks the end of an important construction phase, with the underground garage, the ground floor, the first upper floor and the so-called cores (reinforced concrete carriers) all in place.

13 November 2007 The steel structure forming the 5,600 square metre (60,250 square feet) Exhibition Area is successfully lowered on to three reinforced concrete cores, construction of the actual exhibition surfaces starting immediately thereafter. These include the ceilings made of reinforced concrete as well as extra-large ramps and stairwells.

January 2008 Work starts on the exterior of the Museum facade, with the rhomboid structure being fitted in place.

October 2008 The displays and small exhibits are positioned on the Exhibition Level.

3 November 2008 The first twelve exhibition cars are moved to the second upper level of the new Museum. These first exhibits include a 356 Cabriolet, an original first-generation 911, and the first prototype of the Porsche 924.

5 November 2008 The Porsche brand name highlighting the Porsche Museum is fitted in position on the glass facade.

8 December 2008 The Museum is officially handed over to the building principal.

28 January 2009 Official opening of the Museum attended by Dr. Wolfgang Porsche, the Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, and his family, Dr. Wendelin Wiedeking, the Chairman of the Board of Management and Chief Executive Officer of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Günther Oettinger, the Prime Minister of Baden-Württemberg, and Dr. Wolfgang Schuster, the Lord Mayor of Stuttgart.

31 January 2009 The Museum is opened for visitors.

The Most Significant Museum Exhibits

Type 64 (re-built)

Year of production: 1939
Power unit: four-cylinder boxer engine
Capacity: 1131 cc
Output: 33 bhp (24 kW)
Top speed: 140 km/h (87 mph)
It was beautiful, dynamic and fast – and it quickly became Ferdinand Porsche’s great passion: Although this unique sports car built for the Berlin-Rome long-distance race bore nothing but the simple model designation “Type 64”, it is acknowledged as the “original Porsche”, the “great-grandfather” of all Porsches to follow. Within and beneath its streamlined aluminium body, Type 64 boasts the trendsetting concepts so characteristic of all Porsche sports cars following in the years to come. In terms of design and aerodynamics this unique Coupé was far ahead of its time, the symbiosis of motorsport qualities and production features creating an ideal grand touring car. On public roads Type 64 reached a top speed of no less than 130 km/h or 81 mph. Ferdinand Porsche often drove this car himself, showing his deep satisfaction by presenting the Porsche family name on the car itself.

VW Beetle

Year of production: 1950
Output: 25 bhp (18 kW)
Top speed: 105 km/h (65 mph)
When Ferdinand Porsche presented his “Study for the Construction of a German People’s Car” in January 1934, this was the eighth small car built under his guidance. Creating this compact model, Porsche and the engineers at his Construction Office offered highlights such as an air-cooled four-cylinder engine mounted at the rear, a crank arm axle, torsion bar suspension, and the subdivision of the car’s structure into a floorplate and the body itself. Through its design, the Beetle combined superior streamlining with sufficient space for four persons, in the process creating the famous Beetle silhouette. Total production of the Beetle by Volkswagen AG up to the year 2003 amounted to 21.5 million units worldwide.

Porsche 356 “No. 1” Roadster

Year of production: 1948
Output: 35 bhp (26 kW)
Top speed: 135 km/h (84 mph)
The first sports car to bear the name Porsche was built in spring 1948 in the small Austrian town of Gmünd (Province of Carinthia). Creating this unique vehicle, Ferry Porsche for the first time lived out his idea of a truly modern sports car. The prototype Porsche Type 356 “No. 1” was ready to go on 8 June and the Carinthian State Government issued a special permit for testing on public roads. This mid-engined sports car was powered by a VW engine increased in its output to 35 bhp. Weighing 585 kg or 1,290 lb, the Porsche 356 “No. 1” achieved a top speed of 135 km/h (84 mph). In August 1948 the car clearly proved its sporting qualities in the Innsbruck City Race.

Porsche 356 Coupé “Ferdinand”

Year of production: 1950
Capacity: 1086 cc
Output: 40 bhp (29 kW)
Top speed: 140 km/h (87 mph)
A new chapter in the history of Porsche started on the Thursday before Easter 1950 when the first Type 356 built in Stuttgart came out of the production hall. With all test cars by tradition receiving a name at Porsche, the model on display in the new Museum was called “Ferdinand” and was a gift for Ferdinand Porsche on his 75th birthday on 3 September 1950. The car was subsequently used as a “rolling test vehicle”.

Porsche 356 America Roadster

Year of production: 1953
Power unit: four-cylinder-boxer engine
Capacity: 1488 cc
Output: 70 bhp (51 kW)
Top speed: 177 km/h (110 mph)
A special roadster built exclusively for the North American market and significantly lighter than the other models in the 356 series produced at the same time.
The car reached its ideal weight of 605 kg or 1,334 lb through its extra-light aluminium body with low door cutouts, stick-on side windows and an emergency roof. This truly spartan forerunner to the 356 Speedster was conceived specifically for motorsport.

Porsche 550 A Spyder

Year of production: 1956
Capacity: 1498 cc
Output: 135 bhp (99 kW)
Top speed: 240 km/h (149 mph)
“Little Bastard” was the name that legendary US film star James Dean gave his Porsche 550 intentionally built with all the aggressive attributes required for motorsport. Just 24 years old, Dean died in his private Spyder in 1955 on his way to the race track in Salinas, California, when another driver took his right of way.

Type 754 “T7”

Year of production: 1959
Capacity: 1966 cc
Output: 130 bhp (96 kW)
Top speed: 200 km/h (124 mph)
Ferdinand Alexander Porsche’s T7 styling study was a milestone on the way to the final design of the 911. Since Ferry Porsche refused to build a regular four-seater, “T7” never entered standard production. But Ferry Porsche did have the car re-built as a 2+2-seater, jump seats at the rear maintaining the typical look of a fastback coupé.

356 B 2000 GS Carrera GT

Year of production: 1960
Capacity: 1966 cc
Output: 175 bhp (129 kW)
Top speed: 220 km/h (136 mph)
The Porsche 356 not only came with a new face, but also with innovative technology. The moving body parts made of aluminium are indeed a good example of such innovations. Other trendsetting features are the safety steering with hydraulic dampers and the optimised brake cooling system. The availability of various transmission ratios was likewise new. The additional name “Carrera” was borne as of 1955 on all models with a racing engine.

Porsche 911 2.0 Coupé

Year of production: 1964
Power unit: six-cylinder boxer engine
Capacity: 1991 cc
Output: 130 bhp (96 kW)
Top speed: 210 km/h (130 mph)
In 1963 Porsche proudly presented the successor to the 356 at the Frankfurt Motor Show: the original 911. The 911 differed in many respects from its predecessor, not only through its fast-revving six-cylinder power unit. And Ferry Porsche was happy “to be able at last to fit his golf set into the car without a problem.” Originally code-named the 901, the model designation had to be changed into the magical numbers 911, since Peugeot claimed the right to all three-digit numbers with a zero in the middle.

Porsche 914/8

Year of production: 1969
Power unit: eight-cylinder boxer engine
Capacity: 2997 cc
Output: 300 bhp (221 kW)
Top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph)
In the late ‘60s the close connection between Porsche and Volkswagen, which had grown consistently in the course of time, led to the construction of the VW-Porsche 914 – a dynamic but economical sports car. Apart from the four-cylinder VW version, there was a six-cylinder version of this very agile mid-engined sports car built exclusively for Porsche. And there were two cars with an eight-cylinder power unit carried over from motorsport, one of which was given to Ferry Porsche as a gift for his 60th birthday.

Porsche 911 S 2.2 Targa

Year of production: 1970
Capacity: 2195 cc
Output: 180 bhp (132 kW)
Top speed: 230 km/h (143 mph)
In response to new, strict legislation in the USA, Porsche built the first production safety convertible in the world to meet this challenge: In the mid-60s Porsche’s engineers created a special version of the 911 positioned in between the Cabriolet and the Coupé, inventing the Targa principle. This Targa version with its stable, removable roof quickly won over the hearts of a very special group of customers. Even the most powerful S-model (S for Sport) was available with the typical rollbar.

Porsche 908/03 Spyder

Year of production: 1970
Power unit: eight-cylinder boxer engine
Capacity: 2997 cc
Output: 350 bhp (257 kW)
Top speed: 275 km/h (171 mph)
Weighing just 545 kg or 1,202 lb, the Spyder was an extreme rendition of lightweight technology, the body made of reinforced-foam plastic weighing just 12 kilos or 26.5 lb. To ensure even better weight distribution, the driver and the power unit were moved to the front. The 908/3 Spyder to be admired here was raced only four times by the Works Team and won three races in the process, including its first race in the 1970 Targa Florio on Sicily with Jo Siffert and Brian Redman at the wheel.

Porsche 917 Short-Tail Coupé

Year of production: 1971
Power unit: twelve-cylinder boxer engine
Capacity: 4907 cc
Output: 600 bhp (441 kW)
Top speed: 360 km/h (223 mph)
In 1971 Gijs van Lennep and Helmut Marko set up a track record destined to go down in history. Averaging 222.30 km/h or 137.83 mph, they covered a distance of 5,335.16 kilometres (3,315.31 miles) in the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Once again Porsche’s engineers had gone for nothing but the best in terms of streamlining and low weight. The short-rear version of the 917 comes with shark fins on both sides of the rear hood, the frame is made of extra-light magnesium.

Porsche 917/30 Spyder

Year of production: 1973
Power unit: twelve-cylinder boxer engine, turbocharged
Capacity: 5374 cc
Output: 1200 bhp (882 kW)
Top speed: 385 km/h (239 mph)
It is referred to as the “most powerful racing car of all times” – the upgraded twelve-cylinder power unit which dominated race tracks all around the world. With Mark Donohue at the wheel a Porsche brought home superior victory in the CanAm Series also the second time around, way ahead of McLaren. For the first time the turbocharged power unit also showed its merits on a winding track.

Porsche 911 Carrera RS 2.7 Coupé

Year of production: 1973
Capacity: 2687 cc
Output: 210 bhp (154 kW)
The fastest German production car of its time was characterised by its unique rear spoiler referred to in popular terms as the “ducktail”. Introducing all kinds of aerodynamic improvements, Porsche set an important trend through this particular model, this spartan coupé living out the concept of “more power through more displacement and less weight” without the slightest compromise. The RS 2.7 was the first 911 to bear the name “Carrera” derived from the classic Carrera Panamericana road race.

Porsche 924

Year of production: 1974
Power unit: four-cylinder inline
Capacity: 1984 cc
Output: 125 bhp (92 kW)
Top speed: 200 km/h (124 mph)
Responding to the energy crisis in the mid-70s, VW decided to cancel a joint sports car project planned with Porsche. As a result Porsche created the 924 as its own entry-level model leading into the range. Right from the start, the first model was characterised by its large glass tailgate as a striking design feature. The 924 with its water-cooled front-mounted engine and transaxle configuration entered production at the Audi Plant in Neckarsulm in 1974.

Porsche 911 Turbo 3.0 Coupé

Year of production: 1976
Power unit: six-cylinder boxer engine, turbocharged
Capacity: 2994 cc
Output: 260 bhp (191 kW)
Porsche’s first production car to use an exhaust gas turbocharger for extra power developed an almost incredible 260 bhp at the time. And indeed, the 911 Turbo was a bold move in the days of the energy crisis. The 911 Turbo immediately took over the top position within Porsche’s model range, benefiting from technology proven in motorsport. Apart from the turbocharged power unit, this technology was to be admired above all on the brakes and the car’s streamlining.

Porsche 928 S

Year of production: 1983
Power unit: V8
Capacity: 4664 cc
Output: 300 bhp (221 kW)
The 928 was originally intended as the successor to the 911, but quickly emancipated into a unique model in its own right. In 1978, just one year after being launched into the market, the 928 became the first sports car in history to be elected as the “Car of the Year”.
In technical terms the concept differed fundamentally from the 911 through its transaxle transmission, the water-cooled V8 light-alloy power unit, and the aluminium suspension.

McLaren TAG MP 4/2 C Formula 1

Year of production: 1986
Power unit: V6, turbocharged
Capacity: 1499 cc
Output: 850 bhp (625 kW)
Top speed: approx 350 km/h (217 mph)
Developing new models of the highest calibre for external customers: Working in behalf of the TAG Group, Porsche built an engine destined to revolutionise Formula 1. This high-performance power unit displacing just 1 ½ litres developed enormous power in the McLaren Formula racing car, setting the foundation for three World Championship titles scored by Alain Prost and Niki Lauda as well as 25 Grand Prix wins between 1983 and 1987.

Porsche 959

Year of production: 1988
Power unit: six-cylinder boxer engine with register turbocharger
Capacity: 2849 cc
Output: 450 bhp (331 kW)
Top speed: 315 km/h (195 mph)
No other Porsche offers the same passionate symbiosis of competition and high technology as the 959. Originally conceived for the new Group B racing category, the 959 was built in an exclusive series of just 292 units as a spearhead in technology based on the 911 model series. Subsequent production models benefited significantly from this supersports car with its attractive looks. Despite its price tag of DM 420,000, the 959 was quickly sold out.

Panamericana Concept Car

Year of production: 1989
Capacity: 3557 cc
Output: 250 bhp (184 kW)
Top speed: 210 km/h (130 mph)
On his 80th birthday Ferry Porsche received a roadgoing concept car based on the 911 Carrera 4.
Bearing the name “Panamericana”, this unique model built in the course of only a few months was also presented at the 1989 Frankfurt Motor Show. The concept with its horizontal roof structure had a strong influence on the ongoing development of the 911 Targa and also paved the way for the construction of a new roadster, the Porsche Boxster soon to follow.

Porsche Boxster

Year of production: 1996
Capacity: 2480 cc
Output: 204 bhp (150 kW)
This two-seater roadster with its mid-mounted engine continued Porsche’s Spyder tradition, using modern technology in the process. Following an overwhelming response to the initial Boxster Show Car, the Company decided to build the production model. For technical reasons the roadgoing Boxster differed from the concept version but was nevertheless fully accepted as a thoroughbred Porsche. And while anticipating some features of the later generation of the 911, the Boxster always remained a unique model in its own right.

Porsche Carrera GT

Year of production: 2003
Power unit: V10
Capacity: 5733 cc
Output: 612 bhp (450 kW)
Top speed: 330 km/h (205 mph)
The driving experience is both undiluted and mind-boggling: Through its design language alone, the Carrera GT clearly stands out as an uncompromising top-level performer. Boasting all the values of a modern racing car – supreme performance, extreme lightweight engineering, superior safety – the Carrera GT was originally conceived for racing in Le Mans and was then built in an exclusive series of just 1,270 units in Leipzig, standing out forever as an ultra-low mid-engined supersports with a unique carbon-fibre body.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:53 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Wow. And I thought the Audi Museum was cool. This definitely is a must visit place.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:19 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
that place is huge!! cool though

Quick Reply: Porsche: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News