You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
...and?
1.) 911 Carrera 4S Best lap: 1:04.4
2.) 911 Carrera S Best lap: 1:05.3
3.) 911 Carrera Best lap: 1:06.2
4.) 911 Carrera 4 Best lap: 1:05.9
5.) Nismo Fairlazy Z S-Tune Best lap: 1:06.8 (more than one second faster than stock 370Z)

The Nismo started in 1st place, but after 5 laps, it was quite a bit behind the 911's. The 911 4S was way ahead.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,869 Likes on 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
1.) 911 Carrera 4S Best lap: 1:04.4
2.) 911 Carrera S Best lap: 1:05.3
3.) 911 Carrera Best lap: 1:06.2
4.) 911 Carrera 4 Best lap: 1:05.9
5.) Nismo Fairlazy Z S-Tune Best lap: 1:06.8 (more than one second faster than stock 370Z)

The Nismo started in 1st place, but after 5 laps, it was quite a bit behind the 911's. The 911 4S was way ahead.
but the 4S is AWD tho, right? still impressive IMO... because I would think most people would categorize the Z with the Boxster S
Old 04-13-2009, 01:50 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
EVERYTHING Porsche is way overpriced. Excellent, excellent cars..... but until I become filthy rich, I think I'm going to stick with the idea of buying a really nice sports car that costs way less and having a decent daily on the side instead of sleeping in my car.

I'll still drool over them though.... but the bitter reality is that they're an aura of exclusivity to them, and people are willing to pay extra for that, and Porsche gladly agrees with them.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:04 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
but the 4S is AWD tho, right? still impressive IMO... because I would think most people would categorize the Z with the Boxster S

Yup, the 4S is AWD with 385hp. And all of these 911's have PDK and direct injection. The 4S in particular ran a 11.7s in the 1/4 mile test (also in that video).

I think it would be a close race between the Nismo Z and the Cayman S though. Hopefully they will have a race like that in the future. The Cayman S recently received DI and PDK as well. It has 320hp, but it only weighs 3000lbs. A race between the Cayman S, the Z, the Civic Type R, and the M3 would be cool to watch.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:12 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
finally stopped by a dealer to check out the new Z. I didnt drive one because they only had autos on the lot. But sitting in one is such a huge and nice improvement over the 350.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
god that looks SO much better than the last gen nismo.

I love the new gen Z...LOVE IT.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-14-2009, 10:33 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Nissan cuts Z sales projections by 2/3

Before the economic downturn slowed new car sales - especially those of so-called “lifestyle” vehicles that often take a second or third place in a garage - Nissan predicted it would sell about 30,000 of its all-new 370Zs worldwide this year; the automaker has lowered that projection to just 10,000.

“The economic conditions we are facing today hit this kind of car much harder than those in other segments,” Nissan product strategy and planning manager Thomas Ebeling told Automotive News Europe.

Nissan does expect to increase Europe’s global market share of the 370Z compared to the outgoing 350Z. Previously, about 15 percent of Zs landed in Europe and about 80 percent made their way to Canada and the United States. Now, with its refocused 370Z, Nissan has the Porsche Cayman in its sights and it hopes that Europe will account for about 3,000 cars this year, a roughly 30 percent share of the global Z market.

“In terms of performance, on a dollar or euro-per-horsepower comparison, there’s no question we’re going after the Cayman,” Ebeling said. “That was the benchmark all along.”

The automaker recently unveiled roadster and dedicated performance Nismo variants of its new 370Z at the New York International Auto Show.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/nissan-s...tml#more-16853
Old 04-14-2009, 11:12 AM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Really nice looking car
Old 04-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JJaber06
MSRP is probably going to break 40k...
I've little doubt of it. Still a great bang for the buck sports car, but you're definitely leaving the realm of "affordable" for many when you get close to and north of $40k.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Por Favor?

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
They had the convertible and Nismo 370z's outside my office this morning (Rockefeller center). Both actually looked really nice in person
You actually drive to Rockefeller Plaza every day for work? That's pretty baller!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Love this car (though I think I actually prefer the stock 370Z)....
Old 04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
I happen to like the "fang" front end a lot.

Also call me weird...but I prefer the non-navi dash too. Tired of the same old generic nissan navi display/buttons. The leather stitched cubby cover looks great.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:10 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
You actually drive to Rockefeller Plaza every day for work? That's pretty baller!

where in that quote does it say he drives to work. he just said he saw some cars outside the office building. unless i'm missing the rest of the post.

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I happen to like the "fang" front end a lot.

Also call me weird...but I prefer the non-navi dash too. Tired of the same old generic nissan navi display/buttons. The leather stitched cubby cover looks great.
i like the fangs too. in fact, i love the front end of the maxima (and the rest of the car, in fact) despite the wide grille. and the new muranos are growing on me and make the 1st gen look very, very boring.

and while i like the "generic" nissan dash and navi display, i think it works very well in this car without it.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:35 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
after checking out the 370 in person, i think i like the 350 better
Old 04-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JS + TL
after checking out the 370 in person, i think i like the 350 better
Go check again.....
Old 04-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Por Favor?

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks

where in that quote does it say he drives to work. he just said he saw some cars outside the office building. unless i'm missing the rest of the post.
I was just assuming. Maybe he only drives the M3 on weekends...
Old 04-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
yup, i like it. wouldn't mind looking for a less aggressive spoiler though.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2009 Nissan Nismo 370Z First Drive and Video

Still a Card-Carrying Badass

By Josh Jacquot, Senior Road Test Editor
Date posted: 06-09-2009

It's called "The Fastest Road in the West" for a reason. Willow Springs International Raceway is known for its staggeringly high lap speeds, and it defines itself with one of the gnarliest, high-speed corner combinations anywhere in the world: a long decreasing-radius bend from Turn 8 to Turn 9. And so in an effort to preserve the world's population of auto scribes like us, Nissan has created a makeshift chicane to successfully emasculate these corners during our test of the 2009 Nissan Nismo 370Z. Smart move.

Fortunately there are ample opportunities elsewhere on this track to explore the car's increased performance over the standard 2009 Nissan 370Z. Namely Turn 6, which apexes at a blind crest and is followed on the downhill side by a huge midcorner bump that makes the standard Z-car wallow like a Buick LeSabre over a Wyoming frost heave. It's here that the Nismo Z sells itself.

In the Sport Z-car we're afraid. Afraid of physics. Afraid that the track will toss us — like a Buick — into the unforgiving desert. But after a few laps in the Nismo Z, we're confident. And we're faster. We keep our right foot planted all the way over the Turn 6 crest and across the bump, gaining enough speed that a few hundred yards down the track we ingloriously annihilate most of the orange cones that Nissan deployed to keep us alive. Nice.

Stiffer and Stuff
Primarily this extra speed comes courtesy of the 2009 Nissan Nismo 370Z's all-new suspension components. Front and rear spring rates are up 15 and 10 percent, respectively. The front antiroll bar is 15 percent stiffer and the rear one is 50 percent stiffer. Front damping is increased 40 percent while rear damping is increased 140 percent. The combination yields a 15 percent increase in overall roll stiffness, the Nissan engineer tells us, making the already flat-cornering Z corner even more, well, flat.

Wider rear tires don't hurt, either. The 245/40ZR19 front and 275/35ZR19 rear Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires of the standard 370Z with Sport package have been replaced with 245/40ZR19 front and 285/35ZR19 rear Yokohama Advan Sport tires. The stickier rubber is mounted on forged-aluminum Rays wheels (19-by-9.5 inches front and 19-by-10.5 inches rear) with rims that are a half inch wider than the stock Z's cast-aluminum wheels.

Though the body of the 2007 Nissan Nismo 350Z was seam-welded like that of a racing car, the 370's only additional structural enhancement is a different front strut-tower brace. "This car's stock body is stiff enough to meet the additional demands placed on it by the Nismo hardware," says Nathaniel Mason, senior manager of product planning in Nissan's Specialty Vehicles division.

Like the Nismo 350Z, the 2009 Nismo 370Z utilizes two mass dampers between the unibody's frame rails (one front, one rear) to reduce the body vibration produced when the stiffer suspension encounters certain road surfaces. We'd tell you what the car is like without them except that we have no idea. But we can say you probably wouldn't want this structure any more rigid. Compliant it isn't.

Powertrain Tweaks
Nissan engineers found an additional 18 horsepower for the 3.7-liter V6 in Nismo tune. This raises output to a nice round 350 hp, but you'll have to rev the mill to 7,400 rpm to access it. Standard versions of the engine make peak power at 7,000 rpm. Torque is up 6 pound-feet to 276 lb-ft at 5,200 rpm — the same engine speed which the standard Z engine produces its torque peak. Redline remains at 7,500 rpm.

A recalibrated ECU and true dual exhaust (difficult to accomplish with this rear suspension configuration, we understand) are solely responsible for the additional power and torque. The exhaust utilizes a crossover pipe just downstream of the primary collectors and reduces backpressure by 30 percent. What it doesn't do, however, is add any meaningful character to the Nismo Z's engine note. There's slightly more engine sound at idle, but above that speed the engine makes the same coarse, blender-on-puree racket produced by the V6 in the standard car.

This is a disappointing oversight in the base-model Z, but the lack of engaging engine sound is really unacceptable in a specialty model like the Nismo Z.

The Obvious Changes
Overall length of the 2009 Nissan Nismo 370Z is up 7.1 inches from the standard car, most of which comes from the redesigned nose with its aero splitter, a feature that increases downforce without increasing drag. The Nismo's bodywork also features a new, larger rear wing and a functional rear aero diffuser. All the body changes combine to create 150 pounds of downforce at about 75 mph while generating less aerodynamic drag than the Nismo 350Z.

All these tweaks are still subtle enough to keep the Nismo 370Z under the radar relative to the earlier Nismo Z, which managed to look both obvious and homely. By comparison, the new car is subtle and gorgeous. Sure, there's still a big rear wing, but it's functional and not as obtrusive as some. The rest of the bodywork melds into a perfect balance of purposeful and aggressive, accentuating the Z's rear haunches and making the car faster at the same time.

There's no shortage of Nismo branding, which is sprinkled generously throughout — from the exhaust tips to the wheels to the seats. And of course there's a plaque between the seats on the rear shelf to celebrate the chassis number. Otherwise, this is largely the much-improved 370Z Touring interior we've already praised.

What It Still Needs
As purposeful as the changes are to the Nismo Z, there are a few areas Nissan didn't address. Most of all, the rear differential is the same viscous unit used in the standard car. A viscous limited-slip differential is notoriously slow to react and often lacks the durability required in a car of this caliber, although it is inexpensive and proves unobtrusive in everyday driving.

As a result, the 2009 Nissan Nismo 370Z spins its inside rear tire when exiting tight, slow corners under high load. An autocrosser, she's not.

What's more, the differential in the sole Nismo Z available for testing in the U.S. failed halfway through our evaluation, leaving the car on jack stands. Several journalists who hadn't driven the car as extensively as we had were wondering how they were going to report on a car they had not actually driven. After the differential had been repaired later in the day, one of the assembled journalists unceremoniously answered that question by driving off the track at Turn 3 and destroying the car entirely.

Another bit that didn't make production is an engine oil cooler, a $780 part that Nissan recommends for any Z-car that will see track use, because the electronics put the engine into limp-home mode with a reduced rpm limit as soon as they detect potentially destructive oil temperatures. The Nismo Z we drove had the cooler fitted, as does our long-term 370Z. Nevertheless, the production Nismo 370Z will not get one — an odd oversight in a performance model.

Back-to-Back
We drove the 2009 Nissan Nismo 370Z back-to-back on the street with a standard Z-car with a Sport package, and this is the experience that will separate the men from the boys when it comes to choosing which model to purchase.

On the road, the Nismo delivers more cornering grip and driver confidence, but so, too, does it transmit a lot more road harshness. What you gain in speed, you lose in compliance. If you're extreme enough to road trip in this machine, then we expect you're extreme enough to be drinking energy drinks with names like Monster, Amp, Pitbull and Beaver Buzz. And if you must energize while you drive, we suggest you also buy a sippy cup with a name like Munchkin or Mommy's Helper to keep the swill off your red-stitched Nismo seats. You're going to need it.

We see two different kinds of enthusiasts buying this car. The first is the kind who doesn't know (or care) enough about ride comfort to give a damn about how stiff his car rides. His girlfriend still thinks his spiky hair is cool and that's OK. We can appreciate this guy because there was a time when we were just like him. And it's good there's a car out there for him. The second buyer is the one who will use the car as a track-only driver. Both will appreciate the Nismo Z in different ways for the same reasons.

Get Yours Soon
Nissan expects the Nismo model to account for about 5 percent of 370Z sales. The car will be available in late June with one transmission option — the six-speed manual with SynchroRev Match. Pricing will start at less than $40,000 and five colors will be available: silver, gray, black, white and red.

We've got mixed feelings about the 2009 Nissan Nismo 370Z. We can't help but love a hard-core track version of an already highly capable sports car. But a track model that lacks several critical components for track use is frustrating. Still, it's difficult to overlook the value statement it makes. This is a lot of car for the money and there aren't many comparably priced machines that can match its combination of looks and speed — especially on a track.

And Turn 6? Well, few production cars handle it as capably as the Nismo 370Z. Just watch out for Turn 3. We hear that's the real killer.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..3.*
Old 06-04-2010, 03:49 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,869 Likes on 1,427 Posts
Next generation Nissan Z will use Mercedes engines

(sorry if this is old news)

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...s-ar91278.html

Nissan has recently launched the 370Z sports car and already the company has started working on the next generation Z. And with the new alliance between Renault-Nissan and Daimler, the next Z could be powered by new diesel engines and a four-cylinder hybrid powertrain.

Thanks to the new alliance, Renault-Nissan will supply three and four-cylinder petrol engines and electric technology to Daimler, while Daimler will return four, six, and eight-cylinder engines. This could turn out to be a great partnership because Mercedes is known for its fuel efficient diesel engines and Renault is in need for them with their launch into the electric car segment.

This leaves three options for the next generation Z. The first is a 3.5-liter V6 hybrid set-up used in Mercedes S400. This option provides 299hp and 284 ft.-lb. of torque. The next option is the V6 from the E350 CDI with an output of 170 kW/231 hp. Finally, the four-cylinder petrol in combination with a 15 KW compact electric motor from the forthcoming E300 Bluetec. This option delivers a total of 224 hp and a torque of over 580 Nm. However, Nissan also has under consideration the same engine used in the Infiniti M hybrid.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Punk Rocker

Why the hell does it have to be a stupid hybrid at all? I predict dismal sales if this happens...
Old 06-05-2010, 04:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They say it COULD happen...i dont see them discontinuing the use of the VQ. Although a smaller, thriftier engine could be successful as a cheaper entry level choice
Old 06-05-2010, 04:27 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
lol wow
Old 06-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
This is so far out there that anything could happen between now and then.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:43 PM
OG Member

Road & Track - Mercedes-Benz-Powered Nissan Z
When it was announced that Nissan /Renault was partnering with Daimler-Benz, we didn’t have a clue as to how close this relationship would be.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...wered-nissan-z

When it was announced that Nissan/Renault was partnering with Daimler-Benz, we didn’t have a clue as to how close this relationship would be. We’re now hearing that it will be quite close, with the two companies planning to extensively share platforms and engines. The first reports from Japan suggested that the next-generation Infiniti G sedan and coupe, as well as future M sedans, will be built on the Mercedes-Benz E-Class platform. Then came more interesting news: how this relationship would affect the 370Z.

There are reports that the Z’s VQ V-6 may start being phased out soon (this engine was introduced in 1995, meaning it’s already 15 years old). Replacing the VQ 3.7-liter V-6 in the Z may be a trio of Mercedes-Benz powerplants.

The likely candidates are the E-Class’s V-6 diesel engine, a V-6 hybrid setup and quite possibly a V-8. If a diesel makes its way into the Z, it will be the 3.0-liter unit from the E350 BlueTEC. This powerplant puts out 211 bhp, making it much less powerful than the gasoline engine in the current Z, but torque is rated at nearly 400 lb.-ft. The hybrid option will most likely be the 3.5-liter V-6 mated with an electric motor—the setup currently in the S400 sedan.

As for the possibility of a V-8-powered Z, we feel that it’s far-fetched at this point, but both Mercedes-Benz’s 5.5-liter and Nissan’s 5.6-liter make sense. If Nissan engineers design the next Z to accommodate one of these potent engines, then the Z will have the power-to-weight chops to take on the Chevrolet Corvette. Nissan can even toy with the idea of fitting Mercedes-Benz’s 500-plus-bhp AMG engine, creating a beast that’ll give the GT-R a run for its money.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,773 Likes on 13,967 Posts
I would love a V8 Z...
Old 07-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Nice if it all pans out!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

560z?
Old 07-20-2010, 06:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I don't see it ever getting a V8.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
I don't see it ever getting a V8.
Me either, but it remains enjoyable to fantasize about.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:20 PM
OG Member

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
Me either, but it remains enjoyable to fantasize about.
470Z Twin-Turbo has a nice ring to it...

435hp/516lb.ft
Old 07-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

The cost of maintenance and parts on a forced inducted German car.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
So Daimler first whores out an old E class platform to ChryCo and now a more updated E class platform (which will be old by the time the M gets redone) to Nissan.

None of those drivetrains make sense for a "regular" Z car - a diesel, a hybrid and a V8? Diesel and sports car don't normally go together and neither does hybrid (unless you are Honda and put a joke together like the CR-Z) and the V8 is too big. Where's the regular gas 3.5L V6 from the E350?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Punk Rocker

All of this is terrible news IMO. I don't want a MB Z-car, I want a Nissan! A diesel Z??? A hybrid Z??? What the &$^% is that?!?!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:23 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
So what's MB getting out of this partnership? Will I be able to walk into an MB dealership and be proudly told that some of these cars are based on a Nissan?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:30 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,064 Likes on 3,897 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
So what's MB getting out of this partnership? Will I be able to walk into an MB dealership and be proudly told that some of these cars are based on a Nissan?
They make and sell more motors?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:39 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
So Daimler first whores out an old E class platform to ChryCo and now a more updated E class platform (which will be old by the time the M gets redone) to Nissan.

None of those drivetrains make sense for a "regular" Z car - a diesel, a hybrid and a V8? Diesel and sports car don't normally go together and neither does hybrid (unless you are Honda and put a joke together like the CR-Z) and the V8 is too big. Where's the regular gas 3.5L V6 from the E350?
Agreed. None of this makes much sense. I'll blame shoddy reporting for now.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:51 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
im not happy about it either.

should be a v6 with a TT. built by nissan, not MB
Old 07-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I dunno, the VW BlueSport convertible looks interesting.

If a diesel Z wasn't slow as poop it might be interesting to have something that looks good and drives well as a high mpg daily driver.

Quick Reply: Nissan: 370Z News