Monthly Car Sales news

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:10 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,194 Likes on 3,975 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
and it starts.......

meh...It's like having a period...it happens once a month.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
At least I can understand the Hyundai employee for doing this since they are getting paid to do it, but the fanbois? I don't get the blind faith.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Hyundia-kia sales growth on avg has droped to 10% and thats without competition introducing new products yet.

https://wot.motortrend.com/hyundai-k...er-227393.html
big reason why honda/toyota are up so high is because last year the supplies were low since this was months after the tsunami.

Hyundai/Kia cant keep climbing at 40% each time.

I dont think anyone on the forum said they were gonna pass honda in a year, i dont think they will ever pass honda honestly. But they will scare them.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl
meh...It's like having a period...it happens once a month.
yeah but if I can stab it and let it bleed for 7 days I doubt it'll live
The following users liked this post:
pttl (07-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
big reason why honda/toyota are up so high is because last year the supplies were low since this was months after the tsunami.

Hyundai/Kia cant keep climbing at 40% each time.

I dont think anyone on the forum said they were gonna pass honda in a year, i dont think they will ever pass honda honestly. But they will scare them.
VW/Audi are increasing at double digit with new model introduction.
biggest increase i am expecting from Nissan with new Sentra/Altima/Pathfinder.
Even Acura is increasing at much better rate. considering that they sold 1000 ILX with 10 year old technology at prices closer to $30k.
Now if Hyundai/Kia has to sell small $30k car. they will put turbo/DI/6speed with RWD at miminum. they simply dont have any brand.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:17 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Hyundia-kia sales growth on avg has droped to 10% and thats without competition introducing new products yet.
I wonder what it's gonna take before he undertands the meaning of capacity constrained?

For the year, Elantra and Sonata sales are on pace to sell 430,362 (Hyundai's capacity at its Alabama plant is around 315k).

Hyundai ended the month w/ just 8,160 Elantras in stock.

And the Optima and Sonata outsold the Camry for the month.

VW/Audi are increasing at double digit with new model introduction.
biggest increase i am expecting from Nissan with new Sentra/Altima/Pathfinder.
Even Acura is increasing at much better rate. considering that they sold 1000 ILX with 10 year old technology at prices closer to $30k.
They all have capacity at their plants.

Now if Hyundai/Kia has to sell small $30k car. they will put turbo/DI/6speed with RWD at miminum. they simply dont have any brand.
So?

If it hasn't affected Genesis or Equus sales, why would it affect a cheaper, entry level RWD sedan?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:20 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by speedemon90
The only way that H/K can pass Honda in the US is for them to build another US plant.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:45 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smarty666
I'm not going to even try to get trapped in your circular logic of BS. All I just heard was a lot of hot air about nothing. Bottom line is, the Genesis and Equus are not being cross shopped significantly with what Hyundai "Claims" they compete with nor could they match the sales of those supposed "claimed" vehicle competitors if the prices were the same. At least not with where Hyundai stands right now.
Nice cop-out (from trying to rebut anything that I had stated).

Still doesn't change a thing about how buyers looking for RWD+V8 are looking to the Genesis and Equus more so than anything from Acura.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by YEH
The only way that H/K can pass Honda in the US is for them to build another US plant.
Honda is going to produce next generation Fit in Mexico.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by YEH
I wonder what it's gonna take before he undertands the meaning of capacity constrained?

For the year, Elantra and Sonata sales are on pace to sell 430,362 (Hyundai's capacity at its Alabama plant is around 315k).

Hyundai ended the month w/ just 8,160 Elantras in stock.
As i mentioned before once new Accord and Altima with hybrid starts rolling out. You wont be discussing capacity constraints for H/K. This old excuse for past 3 years will be permanently gone.
And the Optima and Sonata outsold the Camry for the month.
It is like saying Prius/Camry outsold Sonata/Optima by 20k each month. As you know Prius platform is Avensis/Premio. which is Asian/EU counterpart to Camry.

They all have capacity at their plants.
every one has capacity but not H/K

So?

If it hasn't affected Genesis or Equus sales, why would it affect a cheaper, entry level RWD sedan?
Genesis is not selling that much more than TL despite having coupe, RWD, 8speed, V8 and all the kitchen sink.
Acura does not have vehcile in $60k Eqquus price range. once new RLX goes on sale. Those little sales of Eqquss will also be gone. I am not going into next LS coming up.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The only reason why he posts is because you guys pay him mind.

If someone on the street was preaching out loud spewing random BS and saying how you're all going to hell, would you stand there are talk about how stupid he is, or would you just walk away?
The following 2 users liked this post by Costco:
cp3117 (07-05-2012), dom (07-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 05:12 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,159 Likes on 2,583 Posts
Yeah, CRV, Odyssey, Pilot, Accord, Civic, Accord, and MDX all doing very well.

Pretty good for the MDX being the last year of it's production.

Still amusing how quiet this thread gets when HA sales rise, cue crickets chirping

Originally Posted by JAB00

The MDX is having monster sales and the redesigned RDX is doing quite well. The TL is respectable. Hopefully Honda learns it's mistake and doesn't make the same mistake with the 5G TL.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Pretty good for the MDX being the last year of it's production.
Actually, there is one more model year to go for the current car. I'm guessing it'll be a short one though. I think we're going to see RLX, MDX and TL(X?) next calendar year.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow MarketShare

DETROIT -- U.S. light-vehicle sales, paced by Toyota and Honda, rose 22% in June as U.S. consumers continued to shake off economic jitters and replace aging cars and light trucks.

Automakers -- also helped by falling gasoline prices and new models -- sold 1.29 million cars and light vehicles last month. The seasonally adjusted annual sales rate rebounded from May's 13.8 million to hit 14.1 million, well above forecasts.

Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co. continued to rebound strongly from last year's earthquake with sales gains of 60% and 49%, respectively.

"We expect to see continued stability in the automotive market during the 2nd half of 2012 thanks to pent-up demand, low interest rates and a continued influx of new products," said Bob Carter, general manager of Toyota Motor Sales.

General Motors benefited from a 30% increase in crossover deliveries and rising fleet sales in recording its biggest gain in 9 months -- 16%.

Nissan Motor Co. was up 28% and Chrysler Group rose 20% -- its 13th straight month with a gain at least that high. At Ford Motor Co., June sales advanced 7%.

Outweighing uncertainty

"The combination of new products, available credit, lower fuel prices and modest economic growth was a stronger influence on consumer behavior than economic and political uncertainty," said Kurt McNeil, vice president of U.S. sales for GM.

Analysts surveyed by Bloomberg expected light-vehicle sales in June to run at a 13.8 million seasonally adjusted annualized rate. Prior to May's dip, the 2012 annualized rate of sales had averaged 14.5 million through April. In June 2011, the annualized sales rate was 11.6 million.

Toyota said it sold 177,795 Toyota, Lexus and Scion vehicles in June. The 60% increase followed an 87% surge in May sales. Sales at the Toyota division jumped 55%.

Honda said its June sales jumped 49%. The Honda brand's 3 core products -- Accord, Civic, and CR-V -- each posted sales gains of 50% or more.

Sales at the Honda division advanced 46% while Acura volume jumped 77%.

"With robust inventories and great customer demand, it feels good to be back in the race,"
said John Mendel, American Honda's head of sales.

Kia reported a 14% increase and corporate sibling Hyundai advanced 8%.

GM's 16% increase was the biggest since a 20% gain last September. The automaker's retail sales increased 8% and fleet deliveries rose 36%.

Cadillac bounces back

Sales at Chevrolet and GMC rose 15% while Cadillac posted its 1st gain in volume -- 12% -- after 8 straight monthly declines.

Ford said its car sales were flat, utility-vehicle demand jumped 25% and pickup volume edged up 1.2%. Sales at the Ford division climbed 7%, while Lincoln climbed 2.5%.

Chrysler reported a 20% increase in June sales, with volume at the Chrysler brand rising 63 percent and Jeep deliveries increasing 23%. Dodge -- Chrysler's biggest division -- posted a 2% gain.

Chrysler's car sales rose 42%; truck deliveries were up 12%.

It was the 27th consecutive month Chrysler has posted an increase in U.S. sales. The automaker's share of the U.S. market had climbed to 11.5% this year through May, up from 9.8% through May 2011.

"Continuous improvement remains a key focus at Chrysler as we have steadily increased sales, improved quality, added production and created jobs," Reid Bigland, head of the Dodge brand and U.S. sales operations for Chrysler, said in a statement.

Nissan said its sales rose 28%, with Infiniti surging 66% for a 2nd straight month and the Nissan brand up 25%.

Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subaru and Volkswagen Group were the only automakers to gain market share last month.

Subaru said its June sales advanced 40% after the earthquake disrupted stockpiles a year ago.

Among other automakers, Porsche said June sales climbed 18% and Volvo said demand was flat at 7,107 units.

At Volkswagen Group's VW brand, June sales jumped 34%; Audi deliveries rose 26%.

Jaguar Land Rover said June sales were up 2% after Jaguar fell 26% and Land Rover gained 14%.

The BMW Group reported June sales of 27,720 BMW and Mini vehicles, an increase of 3% over June 2011. BMW brand deliveries rose 0.4%.

"Demand is strong though we've been constrained by new model ramp up but supply will soon catch up in the 2nd half of the year," Ludwig Willisch, CEO of BMW of North America, said in a statement.

Still on track

U.S. sales have advanced 15% this year through June to 7,272,096 units.

Toyota, Chrysler, VW Group and Daimler AG have gained share for the year, while GM, Ford, Hyundai-Kia, Nissan and BMW Group have lost ground. Honda's share has remained flat at 9.6%.

Despite mixed economic signals, analysts believe U.S. auto sales are on track to hit 14 million or more for the year -- the best annual showing since 2007.

"Despite some headwinds, we see rising U.S. auto sales in the 2nd half," S&P Capital equity analyst Efraim Levy said in a statement today.

While lackluster employment growth, weak consumer spending and extremely hot weather across much of the country may have dampened demand in June, falling gasoline prices, easing credit terms and pent-up demand are aiding new car and truck sales.

The average car and light truck on the road today is nearly 11 years old, indicating consumers are holding onto vehicles longer. Kelley Blue Book says the average new-car shopper during the 1st quarter owned an 8-year-old vehicle with 85,328 miles.

Analysts and dealers say demand was soft early in June and picked up as the month progressed, aided by falling gas prices and incentives tied to July 4 holiday promotions.

TrueCar.com said industrywide incentives averaged $2,432 last month, up 1.5% compared with June 2011. Chrysler, General Motors and Nissan offered some of the highest discounts in June, while Hyundai/Kia, Toyota and Honda offered some of the lowest deals, TrueCar said.

Storm clouds on horizon?

But the auto industry faces growing risks over the next 18 months, some analysts believe, fueled in part by uncertainty over the U.S. presidential election, softer economic growth, and Europe's mounting economic woes.

"There are signs that the current global economic slowdown may curtail future growth, leading to a leveled sales pace in the next 6 to 12 months," Kelley Blue Book analysts warned last week.

The Federal Reserve last month trimmed its outlook for U.S. economic growth to no more than 2.4% this year, down from an April forecast of no more than 2.9%.

Last month, Citigroup analyst Itay Michaeli and Deutsche Bank analyst Rod Lache each cut their 2013 industry sales estimates by 500,000 cars and light trucks, citing slowing growth and falling consumer confidence.

Michaeli cut his outlook for 2013 to 14.5 million sales from 15 million. Lache reduced his 2013 estimate to 14.2 million from 14.7 million.

"We see potential for additional headwinds from the crisis in Europe, and headwinds from U.S. federal budget cuts which may take effect in January,"
Lache wrote in a June 25 report.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:27 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
If someone on the street was preaching out loud spewing random BS and saying how you're all going to hell, would you stand there are talk about how stupid he is, or would you just walk away?
I would mess with him by standing there and pretending I agreed with him and ask questions... just to fuck with him.

Now that I think about it, when I was younger (high school) and would venture to downtown l.a. to mess around, my friends and I did do that to some crazy homeless dude once.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by YEH
Nice cop-out (from trying to rebut anything that I had stated).

Still doesn't change a thing about how buyers looking for RWD+V8 are looking to the Genesis and Equus more so than anything from Acura.
Your such full a bullshit it isn't even funny. No one ever said, especially not me, that the Genesis and Equus were not being shopped nor was I referencing Acura in their shopping.

All I was stating was this ridiculous notion, by Hyundai loyalist, such as yourself, that with the snap of one finger, Hyundai bringing the Genesis and Equus out automatically makes them equal and just as refined as a Lexus, Audi, MB, or BMW. No way in hell that Hyundai koolaid is going to poison the rest of us like it does you. It is going to take years, just like it did Lexus and Audi, for Hyundai to earn any kind of Luxury reputation at the dinner table with the other nameplates.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:52 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,159 Likes on 2,583 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Actually, there is one more model year to go for the current car. I'm guessing it'll be a short one though. I think we're going to see RLX, MDX and TL(X?) next calendar year.
With strong MDX sales, it's no wonder they'll keep in production. Should be a interesting 2013 for Acura, provide some entertainment in the threads.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Incentives

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Jul 03, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Automaker incentives remained stable in June, reports Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive information. According to Edmunds.com's True Cost of Incentives(R) (TCI(SM)), the auto industry spent $2,187 per vehicle this month, down 1.6% from May, and down 0.8% from June 2011.

"If you waited to buy a new car this month, it would have been very difficult to find better deals than you could have found in May," says Edmunds.com Senior Analyst Jessica Caldwell. "But as more 2013 model year vehicles hit dealer lots this summer, car buyers can start to expect better deals on the 2012 models that needed to be cleared out."

PHP Code:
                          Average True Cost of Incentives(R) (TCI(SM))

by Car Manufacturer
        Manufacturer    Jun
-12    May-12    Jun-11     June 2012 vs May 2012   June 2012 vs June 2011

------------    ------    ------    ------    ---------------------    ----------------------

Chrysler        $2,579    $2,614    $2,601                    -1.3%                     -0.8%
        ------------    ------    ------    ------    ---------------------    ----------------------

Ford            $2,626    $2,625    $2,707                     0.0%                     -3.0%

GM              $3,282    $3,441    $2,951                    -4.6%                     11.2%

Honda           $1,395    $1,425    $1,154                    -2.1%                     20.9%

Nissan          $2,383    $2,462    $2,033                    -3.2%                     17.2%

Toyota          $1,552    $1,589    $1,731                    -2.3%                    -10.3%

Industry        $2,187    $2,222    $2,204                    -1.6%                     -0.8%
As always, shoppers can find the vehicles with the most compelling deals on Edmunds.com's True Market Value(R) Deals of the Month page. Edmunds.com also helps consumers get a sense of whether right now is a good time to buy specific new car models with its TMV(R) Predicted Price Trends.

Edmunds.com's monthly True Cost of Incentives(R) (TCI(SM)) report takes into account all automakers' various U.S. incentives programs, including subvented interest rates and lease programs, as well as cash rebates to consumers and dealers. To ensure the greatest possible accuracy, Edmunds.com bases its calculations on sales volume, including the mix of vehicle makes and models for each month, as well as on the proportion of vehicles for which each type of incentive was used.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:14 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smarty666
Your such full a bullshit it isn't even funny. No one ever said, especially not me, that the Genesis and Equus were not being shopped nor was I referencing Acura in their shopping.
Yeah, right.

All I was stating was this ridiculous notion, by Hyundai loyalist, such as yourself, that with the snap of one finger, Hyundai bringing the Genesis and Equus out automatically makes them equal and just as refined as a Lexus, Audi, MB, or BMW. No way in hell that Hyundai koolaid is going to poison the rest of us like it does you. It is going to take years, just like it did Lexus and Audi, for Hyundai to earn any kind of Luxury reputation at the dinner table with the other nameplates.
Now who is BS'ing here?

Praytell where/when have I ever stated that?

I have stated numerous times that the design/materials used on the dash on the Genesis and Equus are not up to par.

I also would ridicule anyone who thinks that the Genesis or Equus have the combination of handling/ride of the Germans.

Now for the Genesis vs. the previous gen GS and the Equus vs. the LS460, that's a different matter, since a no. of reviews have stated that they are close.

It's BS'ers like you who make up your own claims, then try to pawn them off as those made by others, and the end result basically being you arguing w/ yourself.

Last edited by YEH; 07-18-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:35 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Honda is going to produce next generation Fit in Mexico.
Are you even aware that it underrides your argument?

Honda has a no. of factories all across NA, but Hyundai has one that is maxed out until a 3rd shift goes online later this year.

As i mentioned before once new Accord and Altima with hybrid starts rolling out. You wont be discussing capacity constraints for H/K. This old excuse for past 3 years will be permanently gone.
What does it matter to H/K?

As long as they are selling all their Sonatas/Optimas, doesn't matter what the Accord and Altima do.

It is like saying Prius/Camry outsold Sonata/Optima by 20k each month. As you know Prius platform is Avensis/Premio. which is Asian/EU counterpart to Camry.
Not quite b/c the platform underpinning the Avensis is smaller than the platform underpinning the Camry and they share nothing with regard to powertrains.

Besides, my point is that it is due to capacity; Hyundai only has 1 plant in the US which has to build both the Sonata and Elantra, but if they had Kia's US production capacity, it's likely that they would see sales up to that production capacity.

every one has capacity but not H/K
Everyone has numerous plants in NA; H/K only have one each (is this that difficult for you to wrap your head around?).

Hyundai is trying to retain 5% retail market share in the U.S. with only 2.5% of total inventory on dealer lots.

The moves prompted Hyundai to revise its full-year U.S. sales forecast to more than 700,000 this year, up from about 600,000 in 2011 and 500,000 in 2010. Fleet sales will end the year at about 7% of the total. Krafcik doesn’t want to sever fleet relationships completely.

The models in shortest supply are the new Veloster, the Azera fullsize sedan with a 12-day supply and the Accent and Elantra.

The lineup as a whole has a 25-27 day supply. Hyundai is struggling to provide dealers with 60,000 vehicles a month.“We’re selling vehicles off the trucks as they come in,” Krafcik said.
http://www.freep.com/article/2012071...002/1014/rss13

Hyundai started June w/ just a 23 day supply, which is way too low (lower than the supply constraints for the Japanese after the tsunami in June/July).

Also, of vehicles currently on the lots, 0% for Hyundai are 2011MY.

For Toyota, 1.1% of vehicles on the lots are 2011MY (and that's w/ the decreased supply due to the tsunami).

For Honda, it's 0.3%.

Genesis is not selling that much more than TL despite having coupe, RWD, 8speed, V8 and all the kitchen sink.
Sorry, but the TL does not compete in the same segment as the Genesis.

Acura does not have vehcile in $60k Eqquus price range. once new RLX goes on sale. Those little sales of Eqquss will also be gone. I am not going into next LS coming up.
The RLX won't be in the Equus price range and buyers in this segment are looking for RWD/AWD + V8.

So, the new LS is coming; so is the new Equus (this time wi/ AWD).

Last edited by YEH; 07-18-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:37 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,194 Likes on 3,975 Posts
Just thought I'd bring this onto the new page since we have new sales figures.

Why wait for the rush.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:56 PM
_

Kia Motors America Begins Second Half Of 2012 With Best-Ever July Sales

America's Fastest-Growing Car Company1 Achieves 23rd Consecutive Monthly Sales Record; Annual Sales up 15.9 Percent

IRVINE, Calif., Aug. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Kia Motors America's (KMA) record-setting momentum and growth continued last month with best-ever July sales of 48,074 units, a 5.6-percent increase over the same period last year. Kia's streak of consecutive year-over-year sales records now extends to a remarkable 23 months as the brand marches into the third quarter of 2012 well ahead of last year's all-time annual sales record pace. KMA's year-to-date sales are up 15.9 percent over 2011 due in large part to strong retail sales performances by the U.S.-built Sorento CUV and Optima midsize sedan*, as well as the popular Soul urban passenger vehicle.

The high-volume month of July also witnessed the Optima and Soul gain recognition as two of the most appealing vehicles amongst new car buyers in J.D. Power and Associates' Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) Study.

"The story of Kia's extraordinary growth continues, and after capturing our 23rd straight monthly sales record, it is that of a brand which is moving forward on all fronts with significant strides in satisfying customers and building owner loyalty," said Byung Mo Ahn, group president and CEO of KMA and KMMG. "Our model line is designed to meet and exceed the high expectations of discerning car buyers who want quality and tremendous value in one package, as evidenced by our latest accolades from two major J.D. Power and Associates' studies – IQS and APEAL. And with a number of fresh products coming in the year ahead, we are confident that Kia will continue to attract new customers to our showrooms going forward."

Hyundai Motor America Reports Record July Sales

- Newly launched Elantra GT and Elantra Coupe push Elantra sales up 22 percent

COSTA MESA, Calif., Aug. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Hyundai Motor America announced an all-time July sales record of 62,021 units, up four percent over last year's all-time July record and up 9.5 percent, year-to-date.

"July was another solid month for Hyundai with surging consumer demand dampened a bit by ongoing shortages of core products like Accent, Elantra, and Sonata. Our 27 day supply of vehicles is lowest of all brands and less than half of industry average inventory levels," said Dave Zuchowski, executive vice president of sales. "This is a challenging situation in this hyper-competitive retail environment, so we are looking forward to August with great anticipation. Relief is definitely on the way with the first shipments of our all-new Santa Fe, built in West Point, Georgia, heading to dealers now and improved availability of recently launched and red hot Veloster Turbo, Elantra GT and Elantra Coupe."

The all-new Azera continued its strong sales pace resulting in an incredible 578 percent gain over last July. The Elantra family and Tucson saw sales gains of 22 percent and 17 percent, respectively, over the same period a year ago. Hyundai fleet sales and mix remained relatively low at 12 percent mix for the month and a 9.7 percent mix year-to-date, among the lowest in the industry.

"With the imminent addition of the third shift at our plant in Alabama increasing Elantra and Sonata production, and the launch of the new Santa Fe in Georgia underway right now, we'll be better able to meet demand for our core products in the coming months," said John Krafcik president and CEO of Hyundai Motor America.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Safety Car

Post Gm

DETROIT – General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) today reported July U.S. sales of 201,237 vehicles, down 6% compared with a year ago. Sales to retail customers declined 3%. Sales to rental fleet customers declined 41%, in line with the company’s previous guidance.

In July, Cadillac sales were up 21% thanks to strong across-the-board results for the CTS, Escalade, SRX and the all-new XTS.

“Cadillac hit a home run and our newest Chevrolets and Buicks are performing very well,”
said Kurt McNeil, vice president, U.S. Sales Operations. “Signs of a housing recovery and good news on consumer confidence and household income should help keep the light vehicle selling rate in the 14-million range and drive seasonally higher truck sales as we move toward fall.”

All of GM newest vehicles performed well in July. Buick Verano sales were 4,235 units and have increased each month since the car launched in December 2011. Chevrolet Sonic sales were 6,278 units and it has been the retail sales leader in its segment since April 2012. In addition, Chevrolet Spark deliveries were 1,460 in its 1st month on sale.

GM’s combined retail sales of mini- , small, and compact cars were up 41% year over year. Retail passenger car sales in total were up 3 percent, retail crossover sales were up 2% and retail truck sales were down 12%.

2 all-new vehicles – the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu four-cylinder and Cadillac ATS – are now in production. Vehicles launching later this year include the Buick Verano Turbo, Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Malibu Turbo, Chevrolet Traverse and GMC Acadia.

GM said last month that sales to rental customers would be down sharply in July because planned deliveries occurred earlier in the year compared with 2011. GM’s commercial fleet sales were up 41%, the 28th consecutive monthly increase. Strong police vehicle deliveries to state and local agencies helped drive a 115% increase in government sales. Total fleet sales were down 15%.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Safety Car

Post Ford

Ford Motor Company’s U.S. retail sales increased2% in July versus year-ago levels, driven by strong retail customer demand for fuel-efficient vehicles.

Fusion exceeded its best-ever July sales record last month, with 23,326 vehicles sold. Mustang sales increased 8% versus last year, with 7,371 vehicles sold, representing its 3rd straight month of sales gains since 2013 models started arriving in dealerships.

Explorer sales totaled 11,313 vehicles in July – its best-ever July sales result since 2006.

Ford F-Series, America’s best-selling vehicle, reported its 12th straight month of sales increases, with 49,314 F-Series sold. EcoBoost-equipped F-150s made up 42% of retail sales in July.

Overall, Ford Motor Company sales were down 4% in July due to lower fleet sales. Fleet sales were down 16%. Retail sales were up 2%.

Last edited by TSX69; 08-01-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Safety Car

Post Audi

Audi reports 19th consecutive month of record sales; premium category vehicles (A8, A7, A6, and Q7) represents 30.4% of July demand Audi established a new July record, with sales of 11,707 new vehicles representing a 28% increase above the old mark set in July 2011. The best July in the brand’s U.S. history also stands as the 19th consecutive month of record performance. The results for the first seven months of 2012 set a year-to-date record, as well.

Sales of Audi premium category vehicles (the Audi A8, Audi A7, Audi A6, and Audi Q7) jumped 20% to equal 30.4% of total July sales demonstrating the brand move upmarket in the luxury sector is continuing unabated. Audi sales momentum benefitted strongly from robust demand for the technologically advanced Audi A6, with the model.line generating a 66.8% sales increase for the month and a 123.8% increase year to date.

Availability of enhanced 2013 models allowed many best-selling Audi cars to hit their stride in dealerships nationwide. Interest in the thoroughly updated Audi A4 sent sales of that top-selling model line up 51.7% in July, while new models boosted Audi A5 sales 31.9% for the month and 6.6% year-to-date. The Audi Q5 also performed favorably with an increase of 10.0% for the month.

“Audi models exude emotion and innovation, and consumers are responding,” said Mark Del Rosso, Chief Operating Officer, Audi of America. “A record July kicks off a second half that will see the brand gain even more sales momentum.”

Highlights:
• July 2012 ranks as the best July in Audi of America history
• Audi A4 sales up 51.7% compared to July 2011; YTD sales grew 4.4% compared to previous period.
• Audi A5 sales up 31.9% compared to July 2011; YTD sales grew 6.6% compared to previous period.
• Sales of Audi A6 increased 66.8% compared to July 2011; YTD sales up 123.8% compared to previous period.
• Sales of Audi Q5 increased 10% compared to July 2011; YTD sales up 19.9% compared to previous period.
• Sales mix for Audi TDI clean diesel models finish the month at 46.2% for the A3 TDI and 25.9% for Q7 TDI; sales of the Audi A3 TDI increased a solid 28.3% for the month.
• For the record-setting month of July 2012, four Audi models recorded year-over-year sales increases of 20% or more, including the Audi A3, the Audi A4, the Audi A5 and the Audi A6 models.
• Audi Certified pre-owned sales of 3,136 vehicles set a record as the second-best July despite the reduced inventory of available models for the program.

ABOUT AUDI

Audi of America, Inc. and its U.S. dealers offer a full line of German-engineered luxury vehicles. AUDI AG is among the most successful luxury automotive brands globally. Audi was a top-performing luxury brand in Europe during 2011, and broke all-time company sales records in the U.S. AUDI AG is planning to invest a total of EUR 13 billion over the period 2012 through 2016 on new products and technologies. Visit www.audiusa.com or www.audiusanews.com for more information regarding Audi vehicle and business issues.

PHP Code:
AUDI US SNAPSHOT                       --YTD--
Model Line     July '12 Actual     July '11 Actual     Yr/Yr change     July '12 YTD Actual     July '11 YTD Actual     Yr/Yr change
A3     651     436     49.3
%     4,229     3,803     11.2%
A4     3,449     2,274     51.7     22,008     21,085     4.4%
A5     1,732     1,313     31.9%     9,734     9,133     6.6%
A6     1,691     1,014     66.8%     10,275     4,591     123.8%
A7     578     709     -18.5%     4,827     2,701     78.7%
A8     401     450     -10.9%     2,949     3,300     -10.6%
Audi Q5     2,090     1,900     10.0%     15,634     13,035     19.9%
Audi Q7     891     790     12.8%     5,340     5,504     -3.0%
R8     55     82     -32.9%     558     682     -18.2%
TT     169     178     -5.1%     1,311     1,221     7.4%
Total Audi Sales     11,707     9,146     28.0%     76,865     65,055     18.2%
Total CPO Sales     3,136     3,506     -10.6%     21,475     22,348     -3.9
Safety Car

Post Nissan/Infiniti

FRANKLIN, Tenn. - Nissan North America, Inc. (NNA) today reported July U.S. sales of 98,341 units versus 84,601 units a year earlier, up 16.2 percent. Nissan Division sales increased 12.3 percent for the month at 86,722 units. Sales of Infiniti vehicles were up 56.8 percent over the prior year, to 11,619 units.

NISSAN HIGHLIGHTS

Nissan Division posted sales of 86,722 units, up 12.3 percent from last July’s 77,191 units.
Sales of the Nissan Altima achieved a July record of 26,602, up 24.7 percent from a year ago. July marked the first full month of sales for the all-new, 2013 Altima sedan.
Nissan Rogue also achieved best-ever July sales, with 13,193 units marking a 17.2 percent increase over July 2011.
Nissan’s car lineup posted overall strong sales, with cars collectively recording record July volume of 53,744 units, up 13.8 percent from a year ago.

"Sales of the all-new Altima sedan - the most innovative Altima ever - helped propel Nissan car sales to the best July on record at 53,744 cars sold," said Al Castignetti, vice president and general manager, Nissan Division. "Initial reception of the all-new, 2013 Altima proved to be strong, with total Altima sales reaching 26,602 vehicles sold in July."

INFINITI HIGHLIGHTS

Infiniti today reported sales of 11,619 units for July, an increase of 56.8 percent from 7,410 units a year earlier.
The Infiniti G Sedan, with sales of 6,078, had an increase of 88.8 percent versus last year, making it the best July in the sport sedan’s history.
The brand’s all-new 7-passenger luxury crossover, the Infiniti JX, saw sales of 1,999 in July and a total of 9,724 units since it went on sale in late March.
Overall, Infiniti had its best July in seven years.

Safety Car

Post Subaru

CHERRY HILL, N.J., Aug. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Subaru of America, Inc. today reported record sales for the month of July of 25,183 vehicles, a 16 percent increase over July 2011. The company also reported year-to-date sales of 189,487 – an impressive 23 percent increase over prior year.

Month-over-month sales for the 36 MPG all-wheel drive Impreza doubled. The recently refreshed Outback – which is now available with new Eyesight driver assistance technology – saw a 10 percent sales increase over July 2011.

"Subaru products represent safety, value and reliability, which is exactly what customers are looking for in these turbulent economic times," said Thomas J. Doll, executive vice president and COO, Subaru of America, Inc. "We are pleased to continue our trend of double digit monthly sales increases, and July represents the eighth consecutive month Subaru has established monthly sales records. The arrival of the all-new XV Crosstrek is right around the corner so we expect to see continued momentum into the 2nd half of the year."

"Subaru buyers continue to recognize the incredible value proposition of our vehicles," said Bill Cyphers, senior vice president of sales, Subaru of America, Inc. "Our buyers are savvy shoppers with active lifestyles. When shoppers seek safety, durability and a spirited drive, the Subaru line-up of vehicles offers a no-compromise solution."
Old 08-01-2012, 01:54 PM
_

Honda and Acura

Honda and Acura

Honda division sales up 46.4 percent, Acura sales up 36.4 percent

ORRANCE, California, August 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- American Honda today reported July 2012 U.S. sales of 116,944 units, an increase of 45.3 percent compared with July 2011 (an increase of 57.4 percent based on the daily selling rate*). The Honda Division posted July 2012 sales of 104,119 units, an increase of 46.4 percent compared with July 2011. Acura's U.S. July sales of 12,825 units increased 36.4 percent compared with July 2011.

Honda

- Honda division posts best seventh-month year-to-date sales total since 2008

- Accord sales pace strong at 28,639 units, up more than 70 percent; Civic sales up more than 78 percent with 25,004 units sold

- CR-V sets seventh consecutive monthly sales record with a new July record (20,554 units), up more than 47 percent from July 2011

- Odyssey sales up more than 88 percent from July 2011, with 11,953 units sold in July

"As our sales momentum continues to build through the summer, Honda is experiencing its best year-to-date sales in four years," said John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president of sales. "With success growing along with inventory, it's wonderful to once again be able to meet the strong retail customer demand for our great Honda products."

Acura

- Continuing its sales success, the new RDX delivered another record sales month (2,664 units), up more than 142 percent from July 2011

- MDX remains the top selling Acura vehicle with sales of 4,288 units, up more than 24 percent from July 2011

- Gaining momentum in only its second full month of sales, the all-new ILX posted sales of 1,410 units

"With the MDX continuing its reign as the top seven-passenger luxury SUV, and the new RDX leading the compact luxury segment, Acura light trucks lead the way for the Acura brand," said Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura sales. "With the ILX gaining its stride, Acura is sure to see robust sales increases for many months to come."
waiting for the sales chart...

HONDA: model -- july 2012 -- july 2011 -- DSR % change

[QUOTE]HONDA: Model .... July 2012 .... July 2011 .... DSR % change

Fit .... 4,608 .... 4,857 .... -5.1%
Memo: Fit-EV .... 7 .... 0 .... 0.0%

Accord .... 28,639 .... 16,831 .... 70.2%

Civic * .... 25,004 .... 14,006 .... 78.5%
Memo: Civic Hybrid .... 471 .... 311 .... 51.4%

S2000 .... 0 .... 0 .... 0.0%

Insight .... 419 .... 987 .... -57.5%

CR-Z .... 330 .... 878 .... -62.4%

FCX Clarity .... 0 .... 0 .... 0%

Odyssey .... 11,953 .... 6,332 .... 88.8%

Crosstour .... 1,874 .... 1,477 .... 26.9%

Pilot .... 9,757 .... 9,954 .... -2.0%

CR-V * .... 20,554 .... 13,943 .... 47.4%

Element .... 0 .... 1,458 ... -100.0%

Ridgeline .... 981 .... 377 .... 160.2%

ACURA: model -- july 2012 .... july 2011 .... DSR % change

TL .... 2,358 .... 2,555 .... -7.7%

TSX .... 1,980 .... 2,137 .... -7.3%
Memo: TSX Wagon .... 316 .... 249 .... 26.9%

ILX .... 1,410 .... 0 .... 0.0%
Memo: ILX Hybrid .... 110 .... 0 .... 0.0%

RL .... 40 .... 70 .... -42.9%

MDX .... 4,288 .... 3,438 .... 24.7%

ZDX .... 85 .... 102 .... -16.7%

RDX .... 2,664 .... 1,100 .... 142.2%

Last edited by Yumcha; 08-01-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^^
Old 08-01-2012, 02:42 PM
_

Originally Posted by neuronbob
^^^^
Looks like no hot linking because I don't see anything. Copied and rehosted. Thx.

Monthly Car Sales news-skifg.jpg

Last edited by AZuser; 08-01-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Crosstour sales are up? Looks like Arthur Andersen is back and in the taste game.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:39 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Looks like Hyundai/Kia are stagnating for another month
Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Safety Car

Post #s

Last month’s sales were a mixed bag for the auto industry, as 2 of Detroit’s biggest automakers slipped, while Japan’s Honda, Toyota and Nissan gained big.

But not all was quite as it seemed. The Japanese rebound comes in the wake of last year’s nearly depleted new vehicle supply caused by the earthquake and tsunami that crippled vehicle production on the island nation. Not only did Honda and Toyota, in particular, essentially stop building cars at home, they lost key parts suppliers that delivered components to their plants across the globe.

Meanwhile, Ford and GM said that their fleet sales to rental firms were way down last month. Ford has come under particularly heavy criticism from industry analysts for its high dependence of government and daily rental fleet sales.

Without further ado, here’s a look at this month’s numbers:

July’s Numbers
Acura – Up 36 percent to 12,825
Audi – Up 28 percent to 11,707
BMW – Down 1 percent to 21,297
Buick – Down 15 percent to 14,391
Cadillac – Up 21 percent to 13,417
Chevrolet – Down 7 percent to 138,942
Chrysler – Up 35 percent to 20,792
Dodge – Up 6 percent to 35,630
Fiat – Up 22 percent to 3,710
Ford – Down 4 percent to 166,507
GMC – Down 9 percent to 34,487
Honda – Up 46 percent to 104,119
Hyundai – Up 4 percent to 62,021
Infiniti – Up 57 percent to 11,619
Jaguar – Up 3 percent to 1,011
Jeep – Up 7 percent to 41,559
Kia – Up 6 percent to 48,074
Land Rover – Up 18 percent to 3,320
Lexus – Up 25 percent to 18,235
Lincoln - Down 11 percent to 6,975
Maserati – Up 5 percent to 208
Mazda – Down 7 percent to 19,318
Mercedes-Benz – Up 4 percent to 21,514
Mitsubishi – Down 47 percent to 4,194
MINI – Up 24 percent to 5,855
Nissan – Up 12 percent to 86,722
Porsche – Up 1 percent to 2,803
Ram – Up 15 percent to 24,398
Smart – Up 139 percent to 780
Subaru – Up 16 percent to 25,183
Suzuki – Down 7 percent to 2,266
Toyota (Includes Scion) – Up 24 percent to 139,759
Volkswagen – Up 28 percent to 48,893
Volvo – Up 2 percent to 5,717

BMW Group – Up 4 percent to 27,184
Chrysler – Up 13 percent to 126,089
Daimler – Up 6 percent to 22,298
Ford Motor Company – Down 4 percent to 173,482
General Motors – Down 6 percent to 201,237
American Honda – Up 45 percent to 116,944
Hyundai Group – Up 5 percent to 110,095
Jaguar Land Rover – Up 14 percent to 4,331
Nissan North America – Up 16 percent to 98,341
Toyota USA – Up 26 percent to 164,898

2012 YTD Numbers
Acura – Up 22 percent to 85,761
Audi – Up 18 percent to 76,865
BMW – Up 9 percent to 147,801
Buick – Down 5 percent to 104,589
Cadillac – own 13 percent to 76,229
Chevrolet – Up 5 percent to 1,100,604
Chrysler – Up 69 percent to 188,546
Dodge – Up 13 percent to 297,208
Fiat – Up 206 percent to 24,416
Ford – Up 5 percent to 1,264,928
GMC – Up 5 percent to 235,528
Honda – Up 19 percent to 732,165
Hyundai – Up 10 percent to 418,690
Infiniti – Up 21 percent to 65,966
Jaguar – Up 2 percent to 7,517
Jeep – Up 24 percent to 283,106
Kia – Up 16 percent to 336,781
Land Rover – Up 21 percent to 24,311
Lexus – Up 23 percent to 126,367
Lincoln - Down 2 percent to 48,937
Maserati – Up 15 percent to 1,496
Mazda – Up 14 percent to 163,115
Mercedes-Benz – Up 15 percent to 159,391
Mitsubishi – Down 29 percent to 37,067
MINI – Up 10 percent to 37,914
Nissan – Up 14 percent to 610,066
Porsche – Up 5 percent to 19,253
Ram – Up 15 percent to 464,089
Smart – Up 92 percent to 5,528
Subaru – Up 23 percent to 189,487
Suzuki – Down 4 percent to 15,260
Toyota (Includes Scion) – Up 29 percent to 1,084,627
Volkswagen – Up 30 percent to 323,853
Volvo – Down 4 percent to 40,333

BMW Group – Up 10 percent to 185,939
Chrysler – Up 28 percent to 960,157
Daimler – Up 16 percent to 164,947
Ford Motor Company – Up 5 percent to 1,313,865
General Motors – Up3 percent to 1,516,950
American Honda – Up 19 percent to 817,926
Hyundai Group – Up 12 percent to 755,471
Jaguar Land Rover – Up 16 percent to 31,828
Nissan North America – Up 15 percent to 676,062
Toyota USA – Up 28 percent to 1,210,994

The Domestics
Chrysler’s sales were up pretty much all around, with its biggest individual gainers the Dodge Journey (69 percent), Chrysler 200 (43 percent) and Dodge Avenger (43 percent). Some of its traditional stalwarts, like the Jeep Wrangler (down 15 percent) and Compass (down 7 percent) were off a bit.

Ford says that its retail sales were actually up 2 percent, but especially slow fleet sales dragged it down just short of 4 percent overall. In addition, Ford had high hopes for its new Escape crossover, but sales toppled 12 percent due in part to two recalls, 1 of which had dealers immediately fetching customer cars to repair them. There was some good news, however: The lame-duck Fusion had its best July ever, while the Explorer continues to perform strongly (up 14 percent).

Lincoln’s picture was hardly bright, either, although MKT sales were up 57 percent (to a still small 738 units) and the MKZ saw a 6 percent bump.

GM, meanwhile, readily acknowledged that both fleet and retail sales were down – 6 and 3 percent, respectively. Sales were a mixed bag; Chevrolet’s Cruze and Malibu tumbled more than 35 percent each, but the Equniox was up 17 eprcent to become the automaker’s best-selling non-pickup.

Cadillac, on the other hand, had an especially bright month, with its 13,417 units nearly toppling Buick’s 14,391. Of those Caddys, 1,739 were XTSs.

The Asians
Honda saw double digit growth for nearly all of its models, but nothing in its portfolio could top the 162 percent boost the redesigned Acura RDX saw over its predecessor (to 2,664 units). Especially strong performers included the Odyssey (up 104 percent) and the Civic (up 93 percent).

Hyundai broke a July record thanks in part to the introduction of its Elantra Coupe and GT models. Less profitable fleet sales were up a little – to 12 percent – but remain among the industry’s lower at 9.7 percent year-to-date.

Mazda was off a little last month, but the automaker did point out that 60 percent of the cars it sold were equipped with its eco-friendly Skyactiv 2.0-liter 4-cylinder gas engine (which is used in the CX-5 and certain Mazda3s).

At Nissan, the brand’s best performer was once again its Altima. With the new 2013 model officially in full supply, the brand saw sales up 25 percent to 26,602 units. Its second-best performer was the Rogue, which sold about half as many units – 13,193 (up 17 percent). Infiniti had a good month led by a huge 89 percent jump in sales for the G sedan, but the brand should also be pretty happy with the 1,999 JX crossovers it sold.

July was Subaru’s 8th consecutive month of increased sales and its biggest gainer was, once again, the Impreza (up 110 percent).

Toyota’s Camry was America’s most-popular sedan last month with just short of 30,000 deliveries. The automaker’s expanded Prius line also combined for a solid 16,643 units. Lexus had similarly strong numbers nearly across the board, including more than 7,300 RX crossovers.

The Europeans
BMW’s new 3-Series is proving to be a tough sell; sales were down 11 percent, but that wasn’t enough to offset gains in the X3, 7-Series, 5-Series and 6-Series models. The brand’s MINI line was all over the place: The Cooper and Countryman gained, while Convertibles and Clubmans slipped.

Mercedes-Benz is pretty happy with diesel sales; its BlueTEC models are up 45 percent this year thanks in part to the new M-Class crossover. At the opposite end of the automaker’s spectrum, the high performance AMG line was up 12 percent last month.

Volkswagen continues to gain market share; the automaker had its best July in nearly 40 years, even though Jetta sales tumbled 13 percent. More than 9,000 Passats found new owners last month, marking the model’s best ever July.

Volvo saw S60 sales up 22 percent, while its XC60 crossover was especially strong at 73 percent over last July.

Leftlane’s bottom line
July, never one of the stronger selling months of the year, delivered about what we expected for Japan’s biggest automakers: Dramatically increased sales. Hiding behind those big gains is the reality that last July was as weak a month as Honda and Toyota, in particular, have seen in decades.

But the month was more of a conundrum for Detroit’s Big Three. Chrysler continues to ride a strong wave, but we’re concerned that a large number of its midsize and fullsize sedan sales are to far less profitable fleets. That’s a problem that Ford and GM have acknowledged hurt them in July. Fleet sales are an easy way to build volume, but they come at a serious cost to resale. Just how (or even if) they’ll hurt Chrysler remains to be seen.

For now, there’s plenty of reason for cautious optimism.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Looks like Hyundai/Kia are stagnating for another month
sales growth is down to 4 or 5% and thats without Honda and Nissan new engines, transmission, hybrids.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:54 PM

Received 5,922 Likes on 2,919 Posts
sales growth is down to 4 or 5% and thats without Honda and Nissan new engines, transmission, hybrids.
Please...somebody make it stop.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Infiniti had a good month led by a huge 89 percent jump in sales for the G sedan.
That's something sure to horrify many Hondaphiles here. Imagine how great the TL would have done if production kept up with demand.

Toyota’s Camry was America’s most-popular sedan last month with just short of 30,000 deliveries.
No shocker here in central NJ. Most of the Indian temples in this area have parking lots that resemble Toyota dealerships.

More than 9,000 Passats found new owners last month, marking the model’s best ever July.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
So, that ILX sales figure seems a bit low, no?
Old 08-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Honda Gains Market Share

U.S. demand for light vehicles continued to defy mostly weak economic indicators by rising 9 percent in July.

Big sales gains at Japan's and Europe's top automakers -- Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Volkswagen -- offset declines at Ford Motor Co. and General Motors.

The seasonally adjusted annualized sales rate hit 14.1 million, in line with forecasts.

But July's 9 percent gain trailed analysts' projections as well as the double-digit increases of the two previous months. The industry's sales gain for the year is now 14 percent, down from 15 percent through June.

"Current data suggests that things are a little bit on the soft side compared with earlier in the year," Jenny Lin, Ford Motor Co.'s senior U.S. economist, said today.

Among major automakers, Toyota, Chrysler, Honda, and VW have gained market share this year through July, while GM, Ford and Hyundai-Kia have lost ground. Nissan's share has remained flat.

The Bureau of Economic Analysis said today it revised its seasonal factors used to determine the monthly calculation of seasonally adjusted sales rates, resulting in a lower SAAR for the first quarter of 2012 and slightly higher rates in the second quarter.

Under the revised figures, the SAAR has topped 14 million units each month this year except for May and January. Previously, May was the only month below 14 million.

On track

Analysts and automakers continue to cite pent-up demand, new models, low interest rates and easing credit terms for the industry's sales gains.

Many consumers are choosing to replace older, less fuel-efficient models, still placing the industry on track to surpass sales of 14 million units in 2012.

"Signs of a housing recovery and good news on consumer confidence and household income should help keep the light- vehicle selling rate in the 14-million range and drive seasonally higher truck sales as we move toward fall," Kurt McNeil, head of U.S. sales operations for GM, said in a statement.

Still, recent reports showing lackluster job creation and persistent worries about the U.S. and European economies, are keeping automakers on alert.

Jeff Schuster, senior vice president of forecasting at LMC Automotive, says the forecasting firm's 2012 sales forecast of 14.5 million could be reduced by 150,000 units if the U.S. economy slows further.

"The auto industry is closely watching the sales performance over the next two months as the industry wrestles with a mixed bag of economic signals," Schuster said.

GM and Ford tied their declines in July U.S. sales on falling fleet deliveries.

GM's sales dropped 6 percent last month, with deliveries to retail customers off 3 percent. The company said total fleet deliveries declined 15 percent, including a 41 percent drop in sales to rental customers.

Ford reported a 4 percent drop in sales last month, with retail volume up 2 percent and fleet down 16 percent.

Honda Motor Co., Toyota Motor Sales, Chrysler Group, Subaru, Nissan North America, and the Volkswagen Group all had double-digit increases.

Toyota recorded a 26 percent increase as it continued to recover from earthquake-related inventory shortages a year ago. The Toyota division, aided by the redesigned Camry, posted a 24 percent increase in July sales, while Lexus shipments jumped 25 percent.

Honda: strong retail demand

American Honda said its July sales surged 45 percent to 116,944 units, with the Honda brand up 46 percent and volume at Acura advancing 36 percent.

John Mendel, American Honda's head of sales, credited "growing inventory" and "strong retail customer demand" for the company's July results.

"Our sales momentum continues to build through the summer,"
Mendel said in a statement.

Demand for each of the Honda brand's four core models -- Accord, Odyssey, CR-V and Civic -- soared 47 percent or more compared with July 2011, when earthquake-related shortages dented sales.

Toyota and Honda continued to recover U.S. market share in July.

At GM, sales were down 15 percent at Buick, 9 percent at GMC and 7 percent at Chevrolet. Deliveries rose 21 percent at Cadillac.

GM indicated earlier that sales to rental customers would be down sharply in July because scheduled shipments occurred earlier in the year compared with 2011.

Sales at the Ford Division dropped 4 percent while Lincoln volume dropped 11 percent.

Chrysler rolls on

Chrysler said its sales rose 13 percent -- its 28th consecutive monthly gain, with car sales advancing 19 percent and light truck deliveries up 11 percent.

Chrysler brand sales jumped 35 percent, while deliveries increased 15 percent at the Ram brand, 7 percent at Jeep, 6 percent at Dodge and 22 percent at Fiat.

Chrysler said sales of the new Dodge Dart compact hit 772 units in July, the model's 1st full-month on the U.S. market.

"July was another solid month for Chrysler Group as we again demonstrated our disciplined and methodical approach to growing sales and profits," Reid Bigland, head of U.S. sales for Chrysler Group, said in a statement.

Nissan North America posted a 16 percent July gain, aided by a 57 percent increase at the Infiniti luxury unit. Nissan Division sales rose 12 percent.

Volkswagen Group said July sales rose 27 percent at the VW brand and 28 percent at Audi. Subaru was up 16 percent.

The Hyundai-Kia Group, hurt by shortages of key models, said sales rose 5 percent last month, with Kia up 6 percent and Hyundai volume advancing 4 percent. It was the 2nd-smallest monthly sales gain for the automaker since August 2010.

"This is a challenging situation in this hyper-competitive retail environment, so we are looking forward to August with great anticipation," said Dave Zuchowski, executive vice president of sales for the Hyundai brand. "Relief is on the way with the 1st shipments of our all-new Santa Fe ... and improved availability of [the] Veloster Turbo, Elantra GT and Elantra Coupe."

The BMW Group posted a 4 percent gain in July sales, with a 24 percent gain at Mini offsetting a 1 percent dip at the BMW brand. It was the 1st drop in monthly sales for the BMW brand since May 2010.

Tough decisions

Some automakers face tough decisions this summer amid signs that the recent gains in transaction prices are slowing, and incentives and inventories are increasing.

With some companies hiking output, the industry may face more pressure to raise incentives if demand moderates, as well.

"It's a brave moment for the industry," John Krafcik, head of American Hyundai, said last month. "We're at a turning point."

The U.S. auto industry started July with a 58-day supply of cars and light trucks, up from a 52-day supply at the beginning of June.

Average incentives fell 2.7 percent in July to $2,480 from June, TrueCar.com estimates.

Autodata Corp. estimates average industry incentives have climbed 3 percent this year through June to $2,507, compared with $2,437 during the same 2011 period.

Average transaction prices in July rose 1.6 percent to $30,369 compared to a year ago, TrueCar estimated.

TrueCar analyst Jesse Toprak expects average transaction prices to remain above $30,000 for the rest of the year, but some automakers, notably the Detroit 3, may see transaction prices soften, he said.

The outlook for transaction prices will depend on how much automakers have to discount to clear out 2012 models.

"With economic growth slowing, sales growth will likely level off," said Alec Gutierrez, senior market analyst of Automotive Insights at Kelley Blue Book. "Manufacturers will need to get creative to keep sales momentum moving forward."
Old 08-02-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 5,922 Likes on 2,919 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
So, that ILX sales figure seems a bit low, no?
I had the same reaction. Anyone know what Acura's expectations were at launch?
Old 08-02-2012, 12:54 PM
_

Originally Posted by ttribe
I had the same reaction. Anyone know what Acura's expectations were at launch?
40,000 per year for the ILX according to Acura. That's an average of 3,333 per month. 1,520 is less than half that. Acura sold 1,196 in June.

During a press drive event held this week in Scottsdale, AZ, for the second-generation RDX and all-new ILX small premium sedan, forecasted sales provided by Acura representatives for the two vehicles will account for an increase of 55,000 units. The bulk of that will come from the ILX, Acura believes, with sales of 40,000 units.

Last edited by AZuser; 08-02-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Monthly Car Sales news