Monthly Car Sales news

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + MS3
I think Honda is years behind Hyundai/Kia.

There's not a single product from Honda right now that I would recommend anyone to buy because there are just better cars out there in every segment that Honda used to completely dominate.
See here is my main problem with Hyundai/Kia and also the reason why I think they're so much cheap when you compare equipped cars is that they save so much in R&D? Now this is coming from the top of my head, but I dont think Hyundai/Kia are an innovative car company except for styling.

To me all it seems like they do, and do very great for that matter, is observe the market and build a car tailored to the general market. They basically steal tech from other manufacturers.

Now Honda really does need to upgrade their tech. It seems as if they have a lot of things in the works and maybe the refresh for the civic came at a bad time, but the tech we saw in new acura RL is suppose to be in the NSX and I think it was seen in the accord too (different variations) and they're developing an 8 speed too right?

We'll see what happens but if Honda doesn't hurry up in the next decade Hyundai may actually pass Honda and I'd rather not see that happen.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:58 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Hyundai/Kia are definitely not very much of an innovative company. They just take out all the good things from "this and that products, put those things together and build something that's better than the competitors. China is trying to do this with their car companies but they just don't know what the hell they are doing.

Hyundai/Kia just are being very smart with whatever they are doing post-Genesis era.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
yup but doing that will only get you so far

Also why China won't surpass the US economically at least I hope not lol. Read about that somewhere a while back
Old 05-02-2012, 05:45 PM
I drive a Subata.

Trust me. They know what they are doing.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
I actually agree with what you've just posted.

But it's just that I know Civic just came out not long ago, but it just still feels like it's pretty much the same thing as the previous generation. And the Accord seems like it's been million years since that generation came out. I don't know. Back in the days, I used to think that whatever Honda came out with new generations of their products, I could have confidently said "those are great cars because it's made by Honda." But nowadays, they all look pretty much outdated and get blown away by its competitors.
Since picking up a new Accord sedan back in November, I've had a chance to check out a new Sonata and Optima with a similar trim level to my EX. While I came away generally pleased with both and even moreso impressed with how far both brands have come, neither made me regret purchasing an Accord. (....backtracking to the VWs, I have an allergy to being stuck on the shoulder or changing bulb regularly....so that was never a consideration.)

But that Honda needs to move on from resting on its Laurels.....and there are signs that it's doing so in the form of the new RDX, Concept C and maybe even the ILX (though I still think that one belongs in a Honda showroom).
The following users liked this post:
JS + XES (05-02-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
See here is my main problem with Hyundai/Kia and also the reason why I think they're so much cheap when you compare equipped cars is that they save so much in R&D? Now this is coming from the top of my head, but I dont think Hyundai/Kia are an innovative car company except for styling.

To me all it seems like they do, and do very great for that matter, is observe the market and build a car tailored to the general market. They basically steal tech from other manufacturers.

Now Honda really does need to upgrade their tech. It seems as if they have a lot of things in the works and maybe the refresh for the civic came at a bad time, but the tech we saw in new acura RL is suppose to be in the NSX and I think it was seen in the accord too (different variations) and they're developing an 8 speed too right?

We'll see what happens but if Honda doesn't hurry up in the next decade Hyundai may actually pass Honda and I'd rather not see that happen.
They are working on a new CVT, a new 7-speed DCT, and also a 9-speed auto as far as I know.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:11 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Hyundai/Kia are definitely not very much of an innovative company. They just take out all the good things from "this and that products, put those things together and build something that's better than the competitors. China is trying to do this with their car companies but they just don't know what the hell they are doing.

Hyundai/Kia just are being very smart with whatever they are doing post-Genesis era.
Hyundai/Kia weren't very much of an innovative company, but they're good in giving consumers the latest and the greatest auto technologies.

Innovation is good, but quick to follow the latest technologies is even better in turning out advanced vehicle products.

Direct injection, sport coupe, 429hp-V8, 8-speed auto, RWD, .....

Listed above are some of the latest technologies from Hyundai, that Honda/Acura don't even have.

If the trend continues like this, Hyundai will eventually leapfrog Honda some years down the road, both in technology and in sales.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:47 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
They are working on a new CVT, a new 7-speed DCT, and also looking to source a 9-speed auto from ZF as far as I know.
Fixed.

Last edited by dom; 05-03-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:00 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Hyundai/Kia weren't very much of an innovative company, but they're good in giving consumers the latest and the greatest auto technologies.

Innovation is good, but quick to follow the latest technologies is even better in turning out advanced vehicle products.

Direct injection, sport coupe, 429hp-V8, 8-speed auto, RWD, .....

Listed above are some of the latest technologies from Hyundai, that Honda/Acura don't even have.

If the trend continues like this, Hyundai will eventually leapfrog Honda some years down the road, both in technology and in sales.
That's my point. Yes. Offering the latest technologies and engineering is very.... normal.

It's just Honda/Acura who don't like doing what others are doing. Advancing.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Double-edged sword, folks. GM used/uses heavy discounts to move inventory and look what it did/does to their resale value.

I wonder why the Fit is hurting so badly. We can't keep them on the lot. We do have tons of Civics though, including one Si coupe and one Si sedan.
yep! We've been moving Jeeps and Chryslers like were giving them away. However Mitsu being the idiots they are keep lowering incentives(generally) and even lowering incentives for me selling them but I'm sitting on an EVO GSR, a Ralliart and have another GSR as well as an MR coming in this month.

Actually your civic situation sounds like our Forte situation. We've got tons of them, their great on gas, but don't move to quick, Rio's are like hotcakes though.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:46 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by dom
Fixed.
Thank you.

On another note....RWD and V8 aren't really latest technologies as I believe they have been around for ages......if anything, I'd say Hyundai/Kia is more willing to follow the trend and more satisfy with making "me too" products.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:35 PM
6G TLX-S

The concept of V8 may not be the latest technology, but the high-tech GDI V8 from Hyundai certainly is.
The following users liked this post:
JS + XES (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 09:30 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Thank you.

On another note....RWD and V8 aren't really latest technologies as I believe they have been around for ages......if anything, I'd say Hyundai/Kia is more willing to follow the trend and more satisfy with making "me too" products.
Then FWD is "me too" as well. The first cars on the road were RWD IIRC. At this point it's either or, there"s no following when it comes to drive wheels. Hyundai has simply adopted a successful formula, a formula preferred by most to make a high end more engaging car.

At this point not following would be someone coming out with a 6 wheeled car.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:34 AM
6G TLX-S

A 6-wheeled car. The Tyrrell P34 Formula 1 car.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:51 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Acura: Advance
The following 2 users liked this post by phile:
Costco (05-05-2012), ttribe (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
I love my 09 MDX but for the same money I'd get the X5 (E70) in a hearbeat.
Unless it is X5M.
Standard X5 is not as good as MDX Advance with active magnetic suspension.
http://reviews.cnet.com/suv/2011-acu...contentBody;3r
Finding ourselves hot on the tail of a fellow enthusiast in a Volkswagen GTI, we were impressed by how well our 4,550-pound beast stuck to the rear bumper of the nimble hatchback. Of course, with almost 100 horsepower more, you'd expect the MDX to keep up with the VW on the straights, but on twisty roads such as this one, raw power loses to handling. Still, there we were, keeping up the chase through the mountains. There was a noticeable bit of body roll, but the MDX felt planted through the gentler turns and the SH-AWD system brought the vehicle's tail around nicely in the more aggressive switchbacks.
Reaching the top of the hill, we paused to give our arms a break from sawing away at the steering wheel, when we noticed that during the entire trip up the mountain, the MDX's adjustable suspension had been in its Comfort mode. Switching the suspension into its Sport setting to match the transmission, we again tossed the MDX into the twists and turns of the mountain road--this time headed downhill. The difference in the handing characteristics of the SUV was immediately noticeable. The body roll we noticed on the way up was drastically reduced, allowing the MDX to stay flatter in the turns and enabling the SH-AWD system to really scoot the ute's tail end around as we powered through turns at speeds that a seven-passenger SUV shouldn't be capable of. We found ourselves grinning as we dove into bends carrying more and more speed before our fun was abruptly brought to a halt by a flashing amber light on the instrument cluster.
but there is compromise with X5M. you have to use skinny performance tires to get that kind of handling performance. These BMWs always play games with Rims/Tires/ride height. The rear tires are even skinnier than than the front. (see BMW 5 series bald tires problem)
and with extra wide tires than standard X5 it provides more grip but suffer fuel economic.

With MDX advance you get the same standard Car.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:18 PM
I drive a Subata.

Advance.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:04 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Hyundai has pretty similar deals as Honda. and Honda vehicles are strip down compared to Hyundia. No 6 speed auto or push start or DI engines. Honda is still selling 15 year old technology. IF BMW tries to do the same like Honda. They will have take 50% of price. Hyundai/Kia wont even sell.

Genesis V8 is $7k off.

http://stevenscreekhyundai.rtrk.com/...id=14834105755
What one dealer is offering in a particular market is not indicative of all markets and I'm pretty sure RLs have been discounted for just as much.

According to Truecar, H/K's incentive spending per vehicle was $1,223 while Honda/Acura's was $2,398 or 5.6% and 9.0% in relation to avg. transaction price.

http://blog.truecar.com/2012/05/01/t...o-truecar-com/

Take out Kia and Hyundai's incentive spending is more like $900 per vehicle.

This is part of the reason why Hyundai has the 2nd best margins in the industry after BMW.

Originally Posted by speedemon90
And yet Daimler wanted to partner up with Hyundai a while back on 4 cyl powerplants (but Hyundai turned Daimler down) and apparently Hyundai and BMW are in talks about partnering up on joint-development projects.

Last edited by YEH; 05-06-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by YEH
What one dealer is offering in a particular market is not indicative of all markets and I'm pretty sure RLs have been discounted for just as much.
There is not many RLs for sale. so incentives on it are moot point. There are far more Genesis on sale. Hyundai give you alot more for less money.
http://www.cammisahyundai.com/RoadsideAssistance_D

According to Truecar, H/K's incentive spending per vehicle was $1,223 while Honda/Acura's was $2,398 or 5.6% and 9.0% in relation to avg. transaction price.
Honda cars have higher MSRP , lower content, older tech with shorter warranties. So $1000 MSRP from is not a big deal consider SUV are now approaching 50% of Honda and Acura Sales.
http://blog.truecar.com/2012/05/01/t...o-truecar-com/

Take out Kia and Hyundai's incentive spending is more like $900 per vehicle.

This is part of the reason why Hyundai has the 2nd best margins in the industry after BMW.
Honda do research on alot of other things. like composites, aeroplanes, robots. and so some the fixed costs may have been allocated across the board. THere are alot of issues with ownership in German firms. I am not going into that at this point.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/08/b...dis-is-better/
It reported a record profit margin, but BMW still wasn't as profitable as its rival Audi. According to a report in Automotive News, BMW booked an 11.8-percent profit margin, up from eight percent last year. Audi, however, managed 12.1 percent.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:18 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

^ Doesn't matter if there are no longer a lot of RLs to sell, even when there were, Acura still had big discounts and still couldn't move them.

There are more Genesis to sell b/c more Genesis are being sold.

Honda used to have the lowest amount of incentive spending in the industry.

Automakers in the U.S. increased spending on incentives in April by 4.7 percent to an average of $2,428 per vehicle, according to Autodata Corp.

Nissan Motor Co. (7201) boosted spending on discounts and promotions by 19 percent to $2,375 per vehicle, Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey-based Autodata said in an e-mailed statement. Chrysler Group LLC, majority owned by Fiat SpA (F), raised incentives by 17 percent to an average of $3,283, the researcher said.

Honda Motor Co.’s spending rose 15 percent to $2,486 on average. Toyota Motor Corp. (7203)’s discounts and promotions fell 11 percent to $1,688. Incentives increased 3.1 percent for General Motors Co. (GM) and 0.9 percent for Ford Motor Co. (F)
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...data-says.html

Now, according to some analysts, Honda's spends more on incentives than Nissan.

Honda has been throwing incentives at not only the Accord, but the "new" Civic as well. The new CR-V, otoh, has been selling well w/o any such incentives (as it should for a new model).

And the Elantra is besting the Civic (and Corolla) in ATP.

According to research by Edmunds.com, the $19,711 average transaction price of the 2012 Hyundai Elantra is besting that of its chief rivals, the Toyota Corolla by $1,500 and the new Honda Civic by $500. The great big cherry on top of that sundae for Hyundai? Elantra sales were up more than 40 percent last year.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by YEH
^ Doesn't matter if there are no longer a lot of RLs to sell, even when there were, Acura still had big discounts and still couldn't move them.
First show me inventory of RL before making statements that Acura cannot move them.
There are more Genesis to sell b/c more Genesis are being sold.
Why not admit it. that maximum price of Genesis is lower than RL. but still it needs big incentives. It has $1500 competitive offer. The car was numerous times since its introduction in 2008.
Honda used to have the lowest amount of incentive spending in the industry.
Honda also used to have lower prices. There was no such thing as Advance packages before.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...data-says.html

Now, according to some analysts, Honda's spends more on incentives than Nissan.

Honda has been throwing incentives at not only the Accord, but the "new" Civic as well. The new CR-V, otoh, has been selling well w/o any such incentives (as it should for a new model).

And the Elantra is besting the Civic (and Corolla) in ATP.
Honda does not sell crap to Fleets. so its incentives cannot be more than Nissan periord. Elantra offer alot more than Civic for same price. The long warranty, 6speed auto,rearview camera,push buttton start, road side assistance etc. Civic is the same as it was introduced in Summer of 2005.
why not admit that you misrpesented facts before. First is Audi, Second is BMW in profit margin. Edmunds is not wrong when it said Honda/Acura brand the best resale value. $70k for 6 year used NSX.
http://acura.niello.com/Sacramento/F...w-Car/8639487/
Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 AM
I drive a Subata.

wow you guys make so much sense. wow. yes.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:34 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by dom
Then FWD is "me too" as well. The first cars on the road were RWD IIRC. At this point it's either or, there"s no following when it comes to drive wheels. Hyundai has simply adopted a successful formula, a formula preferred by most to make a high end more engaging car.

At this point not following would be someone coming out with a 6 wheeled car.
Of course FWD is also a me too product. All I'm saying is, V8 and RWD aren't exactly new technologies. And of course, I'm not saying RWD is not engaging to drive. It depends a lot on what car it is. You can have a BRZ, FRS, or Miata that are extremely fun to drive and have RWD....on the other hand, you can have a IS250 RWD that is a POS to drive.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:14 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I'd say Hyundai/Kia is more willing to follow the trend
What trend are you referring to here? We can safely say RWD and a V8 isn't a trend, its a choice. So I'm still not clear on how they're following?
Old 05-07-2012, 04:22 PM
I drive a Subata.

Of course FWD is also a me too product. All I'm saying is, V8 and RWD aren't exactly new technologies. And of course, I'm not saying RWD is not engaging to drive. It depends a lot on what car it is. You can have a BRZ, FRS, or Miata that are extremely fun to drive and have RWD....on the other hand, you can have a IS250 RWD that is a POS to drive.
It's boring due to the lack of punch in acceleration. But with that being said, it's certainly not a POS car to drive.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 PM
6G TLX-S

It's boring due to the lack of punch in acceleration. But with that being said, it's certainly not a POS car to drive.
Exactly, with either the 300+hp V6 or the 400+hp V8, the IS is transformed to be a POS car no more; even though the underlying RWD chassis is still the same.

And this brings back to the hp discussion. High hp rules, especially for the luxury auto brands.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:46 PM
I drive a Subata.

Exactly, with either the 300+hp V6 or the 400+hp V8, the IS is transformed to be a POS car no more; even though the underlying RWD chassis is still the same.

And this brings back to the hp discussion. High hp rules, especially for the luxury auto brands.
And Acura doesn't get this, which frustrates me so much because I used to love the brand.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:56 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by dom
What trend are you referring to here? We can safely say RWD and a V8 isn't a trend, its a choice. So I'm still not clear on how they're following?
Not sure if trend is the right word. But as Edward mentioned before, Lexus, MB, BMW, Infiniti, and Cadillac all use RWD and V8. I guess the choice to use V8 and RWD for luxury cars is a trend?

lol may be POS is a bit too strong..... I guess it depends on your perspective. From my experience, the acceleration is adequate. But its handling and fun to drive factor is no match for cars in its class like the 3 series (335i), G35 (2005 one). Never driven the other ones like 328i or new G37 and I'm only talking about handling, not acceleration.

yes, IS350 & IS-F are obviously different animals than IS250.....still..the handling of the IS350.....at least to me, it's no match against the G or 3 series.

And Acura doesn't get this, which frustrates me so much because I used to love the brand.
hmmm....I really don't recall Honda being the hp king at all......and more importantly, being the fastest in drag racing for many years already. Even the 2g TL-S with its 260hp engine wasn't faster than the E46 330i 6MT, Maxima, G35, or I35.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:19 PM
I drive a Subata.

lol may be POS is a bit too strong..... I guess it depends on your perspective. From my experience, the acceleration is adequate. But its handling and fun to drive factor is no match for cars in its class like the 3 series (335i), G35 (2005 one). Never driven the other ones like 328i or new G37 and I'm only talking about handling, not acceleration.
The lack of punch in acceleration kills the fun factor in the corner. It's a pretty fat car with like 200 hp.

You were saying IS250 is POS to drive even though it's a RWD platform. You have to factor in handling and acceleration together dude.

hmmm....I really don't recall Honda being the hp king at all......and more importantly, being the fastest in drag racing for many years already. Even the 2g TL-S with its 260hp engine wasn't faster than the E46 330i 6MT, Maxima, G35, or I35.
I don't understand you sometimes.

Of course we know that. All we are saying is that they need to keep up with the competition. Acura is not much "Advance". It's actually funny how they use the word "Advance".
Old 05-08-2012, 01:13 PM
6G TLX-S

2002 TL-S : 260hp
2001 E46 330i : 225hp
2006 E46 330i : 255hp
2002 Maxima : 255hp
2003 G35 sedan : 261hp
2002 I35 : 255hp

Let's get the fact straight.

Now you're talking hp king, not drag king. Back in 2002, the 2G TL-S was packed with more hp than any of the above sedans, except the G35 by 1hp.

Well, Honda is now behind it's time for it's aging J-series V6 anyway. But it's DOHC I4 families are still among the top in output hp for naturally-aspirated, non-hybrid engines.

But even if Honda is not the hp king, it doesn't mean it has to continue this way with it's V6 engines being trumped in output hp by all other top auto makers.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 5,922 Likes on 2,919 Posts
^^^^What about when the 3G first came out? I seem to remember Acura making a big deal out of the 270HP measurement (under the old standards).
Old 05-08-2012, 01:53 PM
I drive a Subata.

258hp with the new standard. My 3G TL certainly felt more like 258hp than 270hp.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:19 PM

258hp with the new standard. My 3G TL certainly felt more like 258hp than 270hp.
Oh, I know. I bought my '06 just after the after the new SAE standards were implemented.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:58 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

The lack of punch in acceleration kills the fun factor in the corner. It's a pretty fat car with like 200 hp.

You were saying IS250 is POS to drive even though it's a RWD platform. You have to factor in handling and acceleration together dude.

I don't understand you sometimes.

Of course we know that. All we are saying is that they need to keep up with the competition. Acura is not much "Advance". It's actually funny how they use the word "Advance".
Well I don't really punch the gas pedal every time I exit a corner.

I can see handling & acceleration are both important in determining whether a car is fun to drive or not. The IS250 isn't all that slow though. It's as fast as the 1g TSX and yet many would say the TSX is a more fun to drive car. An RWD example would be the Miata/MX-5 - not that fast in a straight line, but is one of the most fun to drive cars.

Edward said, "High hp rules, especially for the luxury auto brands." Then you replied, "Acura doesn't get this, which frustrates me so much because I used to love the brand."

Based on that, it seems like you think Acura does not get the fact that high hp rules. And that frustrates you. I figured you used to love the brand because the brand used to be famous for high hp? Is that a wrong assumption? If not, all I'm saying is, Honda hasn't really been the leader in terms of making the fastest cars. They HAD the most hp for a short time with the 2G TL-S, but it didn't last long until it was equalled. Back in the old days, the Accord, Civic, CR-V, all the way to the NSX were for the most part had less power than the competition.

2002 TL-S : 260hp
2001 E46 330i : 225hp
2006 E46 330i : 255hp
2002 Maxima : 255hp
2003 G35 sedan : 261hp
2002 I35 : 255hp

Let's get the fact straight.

Now you're talking hp king, not drag king. Back in 2002, the 2G TL-S was packed with more hp than any of the above sedans, except the G35 by 1hp.

Well, Honda is now behind it's time for it's aging J-series V6 anyway. But it's DOHC I4 families are still among the top in output hp for naturally-aspirated, non-hybrid engines.

But even if Honda is not the hp king, it doesn't mean it has to continue this way with it's V6 engines being trumped in output hp by all other top auto makers.
Hmm, I'm talking about both hp and actual performance numbers. This is why I said, even with the 260hp engine, it still wasn't as fast as the E46 330i 6MT, Maxima, etc. And later, G35 caught up. As you mentioned, the E46 330i only had 220-230hp and Maxima had 255hp. These cars are all faster than the TL-S. Despite having the most power, it was BEHIND by a bit. Now, the J series is trailing in power, but at least, in the TL 6MT configuration, it still matches cars that have more power in the 1/4 mile and 0-60mph. But as JS-MS3 said before, who cares about the few tenths of difference in acceleration? I think he said in other threads that only stupid people care about those small differences.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:06 PM
I drive a Subata.

Well I don't really punch the gas pedal every time I exit a corner.

I can see handling & acceleration are both important in determining whether a car is fun to drive or not. The IS250 isn't all that slow though. It's as fast as the 1g TSX and yet many would say the TSX is a more fun to drive car. An RWD example would be the Miata/MX-5 - not that fast in a straight line, but is one of the most fun to drive cars.

Edward said, "High hp rules, especially for the luxury auto brands." Then you replied, "Acura doesn't get this, which frustrates me so much because I used to love the brand."

Based on that, it seems like you think Acura does not get the fact that high hp rules. And that frustrates you. I figured you used to love the brand because the brand used to be famous for high hp? Is that a wrong assumption? If not, all I'm saying is, Honda hasn't really been the leader in terms of making the fastest cars. They HAD the most hp for a short time with the 2G TL-S, but it didn't last long until it was equalled. Back in the old days, the Accord, Civic, CR-V, all the way to the NSX were for the most part had less power than the competition.

Hmm, I'm talking about both hp and actual performance numbers. This is why I said, even with the 260hp engine, it still wasn't as fast as the E46 330i 6MT, Maxima, etc. And later, G35 caught up. As you mentioned, the E46 330i only had 220-230hp and Maxima had 255hp. These cars are all faster than the TL-S. Despite having the most power, it was BEHIND by a bit. Now, the J series is trailing in power, but at least, in the TL 6MT configuration, it still matches cars that have more power in the 1/4 mile and 0-60mph. But as JS-MS3 said before, who cares about the few tenths of difference in acceleration? I think he said in other threads that only stupid people care about those small differences.
I used to love Honda/Acura because it used to offer great overall value in comparison to its competitors.

But nowadays, not really. They don't seem to come out with something that's "better" in each and every new generation.

All the competitor brands are coming out with the cars that packs more power and amenities that people really want. In the meantime, Acura had been still rocking the not-much-improved same J-series engine.

It's just sad because they are not very "Advance" in many different ways compare to other brands.

And dude, I drive a high powered fail wheel drive. It's a BLAST to drive around. It's a pretty damn capable machine, but if I have the same car with a RWD, that would be more fun. That's just how it is.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:22 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Not sure if trend is the right word. But as Edward mentioned before, Lexus, MB, BMW, Infiniti, and Cadillac all use RWD and V8. I guess the choice to use V8 and RWD for luxury cars is a trend?
Not a trend, but rather the traditional set-up (RWD + V8) for luxury sedans at the upper end.

When Cadillac has its RWD sedan lineup in place - the ATS, the larger, more luxurious CTS and the Omega flagship - which domestic luxury brand (Cadillac or Lincoln) will be compared to the Mercedes and BMW and which will be able to command higher prices?

First show me inventory of RL before making statements that Acura cannot move them.
Yeah, and I supposed "inventory" was the reason why Acura couldn't move the RL for pretty much its entire run.

If the RL was still in demand (not that it ever was), you could be sure Acura would be churning them out due to the high profit margins.

The Mercedes S Class did over 900 units last month despite it being at the end of its cycle (the S Class is even older than the LS460).

The Nissan Altima in March did over 30k units since Nissan decided to have one last blow-out hurrah before production of the new Altima gets into gear and hits the dealer lots.

Acura has sold a whopping 132 RLs for the 1st 4 months of 2012, do you really think Acura didn't have a few more RL's to sell?

For both 2010 and 2009, Acura only moved 2k RLs - do you really think supply was a problem for those years? (During those years, they sold 30k of both the TSX and TL; if there had been demand for the RL, they would have shifted production to the more profitable RL, if production capacity was an issue - which it wasn't).

Honda/Acura execs have admitted that the RL was a flop; evidently some people didn't get the memo.

Why not admit it. that maximum price of Genesis is lower than RL. but still it needs big incentives. It has $1500 competitive offer. The car was numerous times since its introduction in 2008.
And yet, sales of the Genesis keeps on increasing (despite heading into its 5th year of sale in the US) w/ the average MSRP being over $40k (due to the high V8-take rate) and that's despite the Genesis not being available w/ AWD.

The all new Genesis w/ AWD is not far away, due to launch in 2013.

And the Equus, which is more expensive than the RL, and also w/o AWD, has done about 10X the sales volume of the RL YTD.

Honda does not sell crap to Fleets. so its incentives cannot be more than Nissan periord. Elantra offer alot more than Civic for same price. The long warranty, 6speed auto,rearview camera,push buttton start, road side assistance etc. Civic is the same as it was introduced in Summer of 2005.
Blah, blah, blah - excuses.

Honda used to be able to not have to rely on incentives and commanded higher prices across the board, irrespective of what the competition had to offer.

The new CR-V still has a 5 spd, etc., but it is selling quickly and at good margins for Honda, unlike the Civic and Accord.

"The consumer is back for Toyota," said AutoNation COO Mike Maroone. "That's more important than Toyota getting product back."

But it's a different story at Honda. While its bigger rival shakes off two years of turmoil, Honda is still struggling, still trying to rebound from the March 2011 earthquake in Japan and a disappointing response to some of its new models last year.

"Toyota is back, and all the way back in just four months," said TrueCar.com analyst Jesse Toprak. "Meanwhile, Honda may be discovering that some of its 2011 losses are permanent."

Toyota Motor and Chrysler Group, which was up 20 percent, were the only major groups to outperform the U.S. market's 2 percent sales gain in April. Hyundai-Kia eked out a 1 percent increase, and Nissan North America was flat. Ford Motor Co. was down 5 percent, and General Motors dropped 8 percent.

But sales of 1.2 million light vehicles kept the seasonally adjusted annual selling rate at 14.4 million, the same as March and the fourth straight month above 14 million.

How did Toyota get its customers back so quickly?

Not only did it restock; it rearmed with a redesigned Camry and other new models. And with the demand for more fuel-efficient vehicles, Prius sales surged 102 percent in April and are up 56 percent for the year.

Meanwhile, sales of Honda's most fuel-efficient cars are lagging, even with gasoline not far below $4 a gallon.

Toyota also was a bit faster than Honda in restoring its global production and resupplying U.S. dealers. Still, Maroone said, Honda has plenty of vehicles to sell.

Toyota has closed the gap with the U.S. sales leaders. In April, Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. pulled within 2,000 units of No. 2 Ford Motor and 36,000 units of No. 1 GM.

Among brands, Toyota Division, up 14 percent over last year, finished only 500 units behind No. 2 Chevrolet and 18,000 behind No. 1 Ford. Among the five top-selling brands, only Toyota improved over April 2011.

American Honda fell 2 percent compared with April 2011, its 10th year-on-year decline in 12 months. The group's 9.5 percent market share in the first four months of 2012 was 0.8 percentage points below the same period last year.

Honda executives say the year-on-year comparisons are somewhat skewed. Last April, the Honda brand was up 10 percent, and Acura rose 8 percent as customers anticipated that the quake would soon cause a shortage of vehicles.

Boosting incentives
Toyota is not all the way back. It is still well short of its peak 17 percent share in 2009 before the unintended-acceleration controversy hurt its image. To regain ground, both Toyota and Honda have boosted incentives substantially.

Just three years ago the two had the lowest incentives in the industry. Last month, Honda spent $2,398 per vehicle, $48 below the industry average. And while Toyota's April incentives were about $50 lower than last year, its $1,823 average was $600 higher than Hyundai-Kia's.

And Toyota will keep the pressure on. It started May with an incentives push: 0 percent financing on its seven best-selling models and special lease rates on "nearly every model in our lineup," Carter said.

Meanwhile, Toyota is boosting capacity at its 14 North American plants.

Toyota has boosted fleet sales to "an untypical high" 15 percent of its U.S. sales mix so far this year, Carter said, rather than its normal 8 to 9 percent.

Toyota says it is supplying fleet buyers after it diverted sales to retail during the shortage last year and it will continue the fleet emphasis in May.

Honda can't match that. It lets dealers handle all fleet sales. Most industry insiders estimate fleet at a flat 2 percent of Honda overall sales.

Both Toyota and Honda have problem areas in their lineups.

While Camry and Prius hybrid sales are strong, Toyota Corolla volume is down 8 percent this year, and that will continue until production ramps up at the new Tupelo, Miss., plant. Sales of the Tundra pickup also are down.

At Honda, the redesigned CR-V is up 24 percent through April, replacing the outgoing Accord sedan as the brand's top seller, 98,214 to 96,517. But Honda's fuel-sippers haven't benefited much from the high price of gasoline. So far the Fit small car is down 33 percent, the CR-Z coupe is off 69 percent, and Insight hybrid is down 65 percent. Civic sales fell 9 percent in April.

Spokesman Chuck Schifsky concedes that Honda is not all the way back.

"Dealers don't have the selection they want yet," he said. "They may be short on hot products, such as the CR-V. Production is back to normal but getting dealers back to normal may take a little longer. We're fairly happy but it's a work in progress."
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...IL01/305079957

Last edited by YEH; 05-09-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:36 PM
I drive a Subata.

And now that I look at your post again. You are talking about the auto industry back in 2003.

The trend of market is changing every second, it seems to me that all other brands are trying very hard to adapt to the changing trend, but Acura is the only brand that is still living in early 2000.

And about that few tenths of difference in acceleration. I always say that because I hate when some people say that "lololol my car is couple tenths second faster than your car from 0 to 60. that means i'm ALWAYS faster! hahahaha". Only dumb ricers read magazine and say their cars are faster because it's faster in 0-60.

0-60 doesn't matter much, period. The quarter mile time and trap speed matter much more than 0-60. That's my point.

But who cares in reality though? :snikers:
Old 05-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Post April Movers

Plugging in seems to be popular for at least one automaker. Toyota's Prius Plug-In was the 3rd-fastest-selling car in the U.S. in April. In March, it was the 2nd-fastest. We reported last week that Prius Plug-In sales bested those of the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf, and if it keeps selling at this pace, we could see even larger sales numbers in the future.

The average time it took to sell a new 2012 or 2013 model — from the time it arrived on dealer lots until the paperwork was signed — increased to 45 days in April from 41 in March. But March was and is traditionally a busier sales month. The 45-day mark bested April 2011's 48-day average.

Luxury SUVs also were hot. BMW has turned over to the 2013 model year for the X3 and X5 and that propelled the newcomers to the top of the Movers list, selling in just 4 days. The all-new Infiniti JX and redesigned Acura RDX also moved quickly at a rate of 6 and 7 days, respectively.

The slowest-selling cars aren't really a surprise in April except for 1. BMW redesigned its 6 Series convertible and coupe for 2012 and overall, they're excellent machines. Here the story seems to be the engine and drivetrain selections.

While the turbocharged 6-cylinder 640i isn't selling quickly in the coupe body style, it is as a convertible with a stark difference of 111 days versus 43 days.

Folks who want the robust power of the twin-turbo V-8 in the 650 didn't want it in the droptop. It took 128 days to sell it. The coupe, however, was a different story, selling in just 34 days. The selections make sense to us with convertible buyers looking for style over performance and coupe buyers going after power above all else.

Our picks for potential deals are varied, so if you're looking for a sporty convertible it might be a good time to look at the Ford Mustang — unless you can afford a BMW 650i. Luxury sedan shoppers also could find dealers wanting to move the outgoing Lincoln MKZ and the current Infiniti G37 sedan.
Movers

2013 BMW X3: 4 days
2013 BMW X5: 4 days
2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In: 5 days
2013 Hyundai Sonata: 5 days
2013 Hyundai Elantra: 6 days
2013 Infiniti JX: 6 days
2012 Toyota Prius c: 7 days
2013 Acura RDX: 7 days
2012 Hyundai Azera: 8 days
2012 Subaru Impreza: 8 days
2013 Hyundai Genesis coupe: 9 days
2012 Porsche Cayenne: 10 days
2013 Lincoln MKS: 10 days
2012 Kia Soul: 11 days
2013 Ford Mustang coupe: 11 days

Losers

2012 Porsche Boxster: 250 days
2012 Infiniti M35h: 174 days
2012 Infiniti EX35: 134 days
2012 BMW 650i convertible: 128 days
2012 Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet: 120 days
2012 Volkswagen Eos: 115 days
2012 Mitsubishi Outlander: 115 days
2012 BMW 750Li xDrive: 114 days
2012 Nissan NV cargo van: 113 days
2012 BMW 640i coupe: 111 days

Cars.com Recommends

2012 Volkswagen Golf 2-door: 60 days
2012 Nissan Maxima: 62 days
2012 Lincoln MKZ: 67 days
2012 Infiniti G37 sedan: 74 days
2012 Ford Mustang convertible: 79 days
About the Lists
The Movers and Losers list reports the average number of days it takes to sell models from the day they arrive on the lot until the final paperwork is signed by a buyer. This is not a days-of-inventory list like you may find on other websites. We're now focusing on only 2012 and 2013 model years.

For Movers, we only list vehicles that pass a certain threshold of sales in order to weed out limited editions, ultra-high-performance cars and others that might skew the numbers or otherwise inaccurately portray popularity. For Losers, we have removed any threshold to reflect 2012 models that may have the greatest incentives.

We changed the headline of our Movers and Losers starting this month. But will continue to call the lists themselves Movers and Losers.

Last edited by TSX69; 05-10-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:35 AM
I drive a Subata.

Hyundai is clearly stagnating.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:40 AM

Hyundai is clearly stagnating.
If not moving backward.

Quick Reply: Monthly Car Sales news