Hyundai: Genesis News

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 06:03 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
...they are a HELL of a lot closer to competing with the Germans than Acura is.
Oh boy, that's a good one...
Old 11-15-2013, 06:16 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 842 Likes on 524 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
No. Current Rspec V8 is NA, so you can't say from German Brands unless the Rspec V8 is FIed too. How do you know if the TT Tau V8 is not going to be as good as Germans?

Turbo cars have huge advantage in 1/4 race for obvious reasons. I drove the Rspec when it came out. It is A LOT A LOT A LOT faster than the V6 accord at any speed.
Hmm...not every turbo car has huge advantage in 1/4 race, the veloster turbo is an excellent example:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...to-test-review

Those numbers are not quite at the same level as the VW GTI or Civic Si. If you want, I can post their numbers along with sources.

I think you are missing the point. The Accord has 278hp. The Genesis has 429hp. The Genesis is supposed to be WAY faster than the Accord, even if you factor in the weight difference.

Again, the point here is that, on paper, the Genesis looks like a beast with its 429hp engine and 8AT. But when you pit it against other cars with similar power to weight ratios, it's just not as fast.

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
I'm always amazed at how you make everything so simple.

You basically listed out hp/weight/0-60/qt mile and stated Genesis is slower than the "supposed" competitors, despite having better hp to weight ratio. So they better bring +500hp on the next generation to really have a chance to stack up against the competition. Comparison done. So simple.

Before you posted that, have you ever thought about WHY the car is slower than the number suggests?

Here's a pretty fair review on the car. Took me like 20 seconds to find an article that goes over why the car isn't as fast as it should be.

http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2012-h...-35414204.html

The car isn't always about the horsepower to weight, iforyou. It's not that simple.

Next time if you want to magazine race pew-pewing power to weight ratio, at least spend some time to read couple different publications to see what really is going on with the cars instead of stating something like "they inflated the horsepower # for the previous car, they better bring much more horsepower."
Straight line performance is indeed pretty simple.

Sure, the Genesis has a "restrictive" tranny. But is that a Hyundai's issue, or is that our issue? Does the typical customer care about that? It's just like the 4G TL, if you brake torque it, the car would accelerate much slower. Does it matter? At the end of the day, most customers only care about how fast the car really is. Heck, Porsche didn't spend all that money and effort on their PDK system for nothing. It's all about the end result. If the 8AT does not deliver, then perhaps Hyundai should get that fixed for the next gen.

Beside, I didn't say Hyundai inflated the figures for the Genesis. I said I'd look further into it, and make comparisons. I also said Hyundai has a history of inflating power figures, which Hyundai admitted to that already.

Originally Posted by YEH
People are awfully dense if they think a RWD Genesis is going to be quicker to 0-60 than an AWD Audi.

The Genesis R-Spec has gotten the same 0-60 time as the BMW 550i in numerous tests (yeah, the R-Spec has a little more HP but BMW is known to underrate and has better torque nos.); note the C&D test was done when the R-Spec was equipped w/ crappy Dunlops (since then Hyundai has upgraded the rubber which improved both acceleration and ride).

The next gen Genesis will be quicker since Hyundai wisely decided to err more on performance than fuel economy (so no more lag in transmission shifts).
You missed the part where I said, ignore the 0-60mph times for both S6 and E550 since both are AWD. I clearly said to focus on the 1/4 mile trap speeds, which are not affected by the AWD advantage. Having better tires also won't affect the trap speed much.

We also don't always need to go to the German brands. We can take a look at the excellent CTS Vsport, or the aging Dodge Charger R/T.

Charger R/T
370hp
395lbft
4345lb
5AT
0-60mph: 5.2s
1/4 mile: 13.8@104mph
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-t-test-review
*** the SRT-8 version with 470hp would totally demolish the Genesis R-spec. It's not even a fair race as it can trap at 115mph.

CTS Vsport
420hp
430lbft
3966lb
8AT
0-60mph: 4.4s
1/4 mile: 12.9s@111mph
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-6-test-review

As I've been saying, all of these numbers don't necessarily mean Hyundai is overrating the Genesis R-spec. It's probably that most other manufacturers like Audi, Dodge, Mercedes, Honda, etc are all underrating their engines. Whatever the case is, based on the existing real-world performance data, don't you guys think there's room for improvement for the Genesis R-spec? As shown in this post and my previous posts, most of the cars that weigh around 4000lb with around 400hp are mostly trapping at 110mph or higher. It would be nice if the next gen R-spec can achieve that while keeping the price down.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
This pan-Asian xenophobic bullshit in Automotive News is getting old.

Can't we just talk about cars?
The following 2 users liked this post by charliemike:
jwong77 (11-27-2013), ttribe (11-15-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by MuGen7Modulo
Oh boy, that's a good one...
You need to put down the Honda koolaid if you thing otherwise.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:23 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
First Drive: 2015 Hyundai Genesis

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/26/2...w-first-drive/

In its first generation (referred to as "BH" internally) the rear-wheel-drive-only Genesis sedan came in for plenty of praise for its powertrain and surprisingly ballsy driving character. In V8 trim – both the original 4.6 liter and the later, heroic 5.0 liter – the sedan was smooth and fast and just a little numb, and playfully able to wag its tail when one mixed throttle application and steering lock.

The very last BH Genesis that I'd driven before winging out to the Korean peninsula was the 5.0 R-Spec, a bruiser of an executive sled whose lovely engine and eight-speed transmission combo was only let down by its overly squishy handling. As far as I was concerned while slotting myself behind the wheel of a camouflage-clad test version of the new-generation, "DH" Genesis, the engineers could have increased lateral stiffness a bit and otherwise left everything else the hell alone.

Sadly, my visitor's badge read "Top US Media" (ego-boosting shot, that) and not "Ride and Handling Decision Maker," so the choice to do a lot more than stand pat was Hyundai's to make, not mine. And, as you'd expect, the company has in fact wrought some significant changes to the way the car goes down the road, even while keeping its powertrain more or less unaltered for the 2015 car.

The headlining change for the Genesis is the addition of an all-wheel-drive system, dubbed HTRAC in Hyundai parlance, and developed with global supplier Magna Powertrain. The AWD setup uses an electric transfer case and a multi-plate clutch, and works in concert with the Genesis' two-mode suspension damping (Sport and Normal) to distribute front/rear torque based on load and slip. As a default, the all-wheel Genesis sends 60 percent of engine torque to the rear wheels; that can be increased to 90 percent in an aggressive handling situation, or reversed to send 90 percent of torque to the front wheels in a very low traction "escape" environment. Further, Hyundai tells us that a fuel economy mode can be triggered, presumably at a steady state cruise, with 100 percent of the power going to the rear wheels.

My first driving sample was at the helm of a Genesis 5.0 AWD for a stint on Hyundai's rather tight, technical road course, and I found the results to be pretty promising. I started with the Intelligent Drive Mode Select at the Normal setting – meaning the aforementioned selective damping was less aggressive, along with settings for the transmission, throttle and stability control. In this standard setup the big sedan was pretty competent at rounding the handling circuit with pace and confidence, albeit with understeer more pronounced than I'd recalled from the last-gen rear-drive car.

In Sport mode, however, the AWD car loosened up quite nicely. Deactivating the normally aggressive ESC made the car feel far more fluid through consecutive turns, with excellent balance and nice, rear-biased reactions. Still, the added grip from the AWD system was definitely present, reducing that play in the rear section I'd remembered from the BH sedan, and cleaning up my rounding of corners at speed rather neatly.

I'd love to tell you that I finished up with the V8 AWD Genesis and then took another few laps of the track in a rear-drive car, or one equipped with the 3.8-liter V6, but that didn't happen. The sad truth is that we Top Media had about 10 minutes worth of seat time on the handling track, and in just the one flavor of car. Suffice it to say that I'll need more time to make up my mind as to just how much better the second-gen Genesis handles than the first. Still, I feel confident in reporting that it's a step forward, and movement in the direction of the class leaders in terms of driving dynamics.

Improvements in handling and ride will be critical for Hyundai to telegraph to potential customers, since the rest of the spec sheet is likely to look very similar to that of the BH. The 2015 Genesis will be available with the very same two-engine lineup as it has today, with both powerplants connected to the current eight-speed automatic transmission. That isn't to say the gear hasn't been fussed over some; the Tau 5.0-liter V8 sees changes to its intake runners, exhaust cam profile and air intakes, and the Lambda 3.8-liter V6 also has a new, three-stage intake and "optimized" fuel injector spray patterns.

The goal of all these modifications is increased mid-range engine torque for both mills while improving efficiency, though the expectation is that the current power and torque outputs will stay the same. That means 333 horsepower and 291 pound-feet of torque for the 3.8L, and 429 hp and 376 lb-ft for the 5.0L. Neither the V8 nor the V6 felt anything less than sprightly in terms of acceleration, during my testing in Namyang. It has built a reputation as a quick sedan, and that continues with this DH model.

In similar fashion, the anticipated fuel economy should be in lock step with the EPA ratings for today's Genesis. The DH has gained roughly 130 pounds over its predecessor, so the company will count it a success if it's able to maintain ratings of 18 miles per gallon city and 27 mpg highway for the V6, with a 15/23 split for the V8. Those numbers are only just class-competitive as of today. It's fair to say that customers considering fuel economy highly might very well have their heads turned by more parsimonious options by the time the 2015 model year cars start hitting showrooms.

Of course, the difference between a few miles per gallon here and a handful of horsepower there is really insignificant when compared with the vast stylistic leap the car has made in a single generation. I love the oily bits, but many real shoppers in this segment will undoubtedly look before they drive.

Styling doesn't seem to be particularly iterative here in Korea, or at least it hasn't been until now. My hosts were extremely kind in taking us through the Hyundai museum that is onsite in Namyang – a collection that is strikingly conservative given that it represents the lineage of what is now the world's eighth-largest automaker. Just 20 cars fill the showroom section of the museum, and only 10 of those are on the Hyundai side of the aisle (the other half representing Kia's separate heritage). The progression from the 1975 Hyundai Pony – that's the one wearing the Mustang emblem – through to the export-spec Accent of the mid 1990s is halting and fragmented. Certainly it will be at least decades before Hyundai could spawn its own J Mays-ian retro-futurism period, as there is simply not a deep design well on which to draw at this point.

By its own admission Hyundai has pursued a "fast follower" strategy over its first two decades of global expansion, a period that found its terminus with the introduction of the Fluidic Sculpture design language in 2009. This Genesis marks the debut of Fluidic Sculpture 2.0, and, perhaps more importantly, seems to break the cycle of eternal design reinvention for the more confident cadence of significant evolution.

Just looking at the original Genesis sedan (pre Fluidic Sculpture) and this new one (FS 2.0), tells a tale of the old versus new thought in Korean car design. The original car is stately enough, but borders on the gauche where it isn't biting fashion cues from Mercedes-Benz and Lexus. All car styling is derivative to some extent, but the effect is set in stark relief when a brand or model doesn't have a clear history to point to.

It is hard for me to describe the overall effect of the 2015 Genesis succinctly without using the word "elegant." Here Hyundai has merged the visual weight and solidity of the outgoing sedan with the interesting line work and flowing shapes that have made cars like Sonata and Azera earn such praise. An aggressively long silhouette conveys a feeling of speed and real luxury (despite Hyundai's insistence in describing the Genesis as a "premium" sedan rather than a "luxury" one). Bodysides are uncomplicated, but flowing and trim thanks to an adroit, concave curve at the bottom of the doors that flares out into the rocker panels.

Any view of the front of the Genesis is commanded by the hexagonal grille cleverly stocked with six thin slats and surrounded with a bezel that's just on the right side of "bold" to my eyes. I'll admit that there were times and angles that made the grille surround look a bit like silver lipstick to me, but at the end of the day I believe the ornamentation works for a modern car, while still paying winsome homage to the baroque fasciae of Korean cars from the 1980s and '90s.

In fact, the only part of the car's face that stands out as particularly grating is the translucent panel that protects the front-facing camera system. You can't really help but see it reflecting light in all of our photos of the car, though I found it less obvious in real life. It reminds me of the static cling plastics that protect new electronics when they ship; I'd like to think that future Genesis owners could simply peel it off when they get the car home.

Step inside the new Genesis and you'll find that work has been done to bring the material quality and interior design up to the standard set by the new sheet metal. Still, there feels to be less of a quantum leap in terms of interior refinement, for a few reasons, I think. The first is that the outgoing cabin wasn't particularly down-market, so there's slightly less room to climb the ladder inside. Designers have made an effort to use authentic materials in this space – real leather, real wood, real aluminum – and the colors and design feel a full grade higher than in the outgoing Genesis. Yet, in the prototype version of the cars I sampled, the fitment and finish of some of the trim pieces wasn't quite right: gaps a bit too large, edges sometimes rough or overly sharp. Under the circumstances, I'll assume the positive and believe that those small failures will be rectified by the time the full-on production cars are ready for market.

That market should prepare itself for a slew of creature comforts in this Genesis, too. Hyundai is particularly proud of two advanced features: a CO2 sensor in the cabin of the car, and a smarter-then-the-rest Smart Trunk.

The thinking behind the CO2 sensor – conceived of by an engineer with an especially taxing commute – is that the exhaled gas can cause a driver to feel drowsy over the course of a few hours. The solution is a sensor that reacts when CO2 concentration goes above 2,500 parts per million, then venting the cabin by way of the HVAC system and bringing in fresh air in the process.

Hyundai's version of the smart-opening trunk is an equally sensible improvement over the industry-standard systems. A driver with the car's proximity key in her purse or pocket needs simply stand near the perimeter of the truck for three seconds before that sucker pops right up, like it knows you're there. (It does.) I saw the quasi-sentient trunk in operation and it worked beautifully, allowing a bin-holding Mark Vaughn (of Autoweek) unfettered access to the boot. Cool trick.

The DH Genesis adds lane keep assist and automatic emergency braking, a heads-up display with blind spot detection baked in and an updated navigation system with all-new infotainment software to a list of other expected luxury addendums. The result looks to be an available feature set that will rival any car in the segment.

Perhaps most compelling of all, I can only imagine that this stuffed-to-the-gills premium sedan will come to market with a price tag that is astonishingly competitive. If there's one legacy that the Korean company has cemented into the minds of US buyers, it is that of huge value for their dollars. It's likely that Hyundai will charge more for this newly sexy Genesis than it did for the last one, but a modest increase in its current base price of $38,200 (for the V6) will keep it at the top of the class.

My return trip from Seoul to Detroit was even longer than the one that brought me in, the travel being somewhat fuzzier for the lingering effects of an epic, soju-suffused dinner followed by a daylong tour of the ancient parts of the city. Seoul moves effortlessly from medieval to bleeding-edge modern in the space of a few blocks, and I was happily captivated there as a tourist in earnest, despite my Hyundai corporate-spec hangover. Even through the fog, it resonated that a country so steeped in the legacy of centuries could move forward with such singular purpose, rather than simply clinging to the past.The journey from the Hyundai Pony to the 2015 Hyundai Genesis is somewhat less majestic than the confluence of ancient temples and 21st Century skyscrapers, but it's impressive to the motor-minded. This is not the car that began Hyundai's company, but I think it will be seen as the scion to a new luxury lineage, all the same.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I still don't like the grille. If there was some sort of body color piece breaking it up (into upper and lower), it would be much better. Or even just more sloped at the top so it was less boxy at the top corners (pedestrian standards be damned!). Other than that, it's a great looking car.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,555 Posts
Love the side profile. Hate the grill. Interior is excellent.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by chill_dog
I still don't like the grille. If there was some sort of body color piece breaking it up (into upper and lower), it would be much better. Or even just more sloped at the top so it was less boxy at the top corners (pedestrian standards be damned!). Other than that, it's a great looking car.
I'm wondering if black horizontal slats would make it look better.

Great looking car.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:53 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Looking goooooood.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:34 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Wow that interior looks fantastic.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:28 PM

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,927 Posts
It's official for me - I don't like the front end. Not at all.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

That is a fantastic looking car inside and out. This is what the RLX (or TLX should be with the RLX what the next gen Equus will be) should have been.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:52 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
I dig it!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:04 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I like it.

The front grille is growing on me. It's very vertical in a Mercedes Benz sort of way.

The interior finally has a grown up, up-scale design. Well done.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
A $40k car that has Real leather, real wood and real aluminum?

Very rare in today's market.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:52 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

The front looks so blunt while the rear keeps reminding me of the new Mazda 6. The side profile looks nice though.

The interior has this Audi feel to it. The steering wheel looks kinda boring...
Old 11-26-2013, 06:11 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Snout looks a little droopy, but overall I like it.

This could be the first Hyundai product I would consider owning.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
That interior is totally Audi. I like the Kia K9 better, seems like the ideas were more original.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:00 PM
I drive a Subata.

Acura execs are probably scratching their heads at LA Auto Show in front of their $70k RLX.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:57 PM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
wowwer...... love it.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:10 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts

Old 11-26-2013, 11:50 PM
I drive a Subata.

That back end looks sexy as hell. Classy and sexy.

Thanks for that image meathead.
The following users liked this post:
charliemike (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 12:03 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Well good to know that the VW looks nothing like the Genny.
NSXNEXT (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 02:43 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
I prefer the front of the current one.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:55 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by biker
I prefer the front of the current one.
If Hyundai wants to sell the Genesis in Europe, I think they had to change the front end for pedestrian impact compliance.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Acura execs are probably scratching their heads at LA Auto Show in front of their $70k RLX.
If they arent worried they should be, and should be fired.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 AM
_

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
If they arent worried they should be, and should be fired.
Or at least have the dignity to quit for all these failures and poor decisions. But apparently, some think that's a bad thing. It's not like we're saying commit seppuku.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AZuser
Or at least have the dignity to quit for all these failures and poor decisions. But apparently, some think that's a bad thing. It's not like we're saying commit seppuku.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:48 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Might as well put up a pick of the Genesis rear with the rear of a Ford Pinto.

The similarities between the two might be closer than that of the Passat.

Some clownz try too hard.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:50 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Not really at all.

They are too busy smoking that good stuff that they smoke over at Honda/Acura.

It's really great stuff! I mean, you gotta be under the influence of something incredible to come up with their designs......let alone price it at near 70 large.

Pass the pipe!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:07 PM
brahs be jelly

You're all on the Hyundai koolaid. The trunk/taillight area is clearly a mix of the Passat and GS. The straked bumper is off an F30, they just moved the reflectors. The flat upper trunk edge is also a BMW thing.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:38 PM
I drive a Subata.

Damn. Hyundai really has come a long way.

That back end looks as sexy as Lexus and BMW.

Thanks for pointing that out meatman.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Hyundai's koolaid? None of us owns Genesis and i don't think any of us will buy a Genesis. If the car looks good then it looks good. Dont have to bash it just because it looks better than RLX.
You might as well put Audi in there too., So Genesis looks like Passat, GS, 3 Series and Audi.

Therefore, GS looks like 3 series, Audi, Passat, and Genesis
3 Series looks like GS, Audi, Passat and Genesis,
Audi looks like Genesis, GS, Audi, Passat
You get the idea...

Last edited by oonowindoo; 11-27-2013 at 02:59 PM.
dom (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 03:00 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Whatever it looks like it looks good.

So who cares.
The following 2 users liked this post by dom:
Costco (11-29-2013), Sarlacc (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 03:11 PM
I drive a Subata.

Acura should start doing what Hyundai is doing.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:19 PM
brahs be jelly

Hyundai's koolaid? None of us owns Genesis and i don't think any of us will buy a Genesis. If the car looks good then it looks good. Dont have to bash it just because it looks better than RLX.
You might as well put Audi in there too., So Genesis looks like Passat, GS, 3 Series and Audi.

You get the idea...
Doesn't have anything to do with FaiLX. You are right about the Audi grille. Last time they went with Mercedes.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:48 PM
_

Acura should start doing what Hyundai is doing.
Sheet, Acura could do what Lincoln's doing with the MKS and they'd still be better off.

Year to date, Lincoln's sold 8,985 MKS's vs Acura's 3,780 RLX's

Old 11-27-2013, 06:08 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by MTEAZY
You're all on the Hyundai koolaid. The trunk/taillight area is clearly a mix of the Passat and GS. The straked bumper is off an F30, they just moved the reflectors. The flat upper trunk edge is also a BMW thing.

You see, it's perfectly fine if Hyundai/Kia uses elements from other cars since most people have lower expectations on Hyundai/Kia due to their past and prices. But if Acura does the same, it could be an issue since people would start asking, "Can't Acura design their own cars? Why are they copying?" This could hurt the brand even more than using their current bland designs.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

You get the idea...
Actually a few do own the Genesis, R-spec too. If it was in my budget right now id own one too.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:49 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
You see, it's perfectly fine if Hyundai/Kia uses elements from other cars since most people have lower expectations on Hyundai/Kia due to their past and prices. But if Acura does the same, it could be an issue since people would start asking, "Can't Acura design their own cars? Why are they copying?" This could hurt the brand even more than using their current bland designs.
Have you seen the rear end of the RLX? They ARE copying. BMW in the RLX's case.

Quick Reply: Hyundai: Genesis News