Honda: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
No idea why I'm even responding but...We already get an Acurarized Civic up here in Canada, (CSX) and let me assure you its no where near the car a first gen TSX was. In every conceivable area. And I had it as a loaner for 3 days so I've had plenty of wheel time.
so ur basing on Canadian CSX example for US market. there is reason it is not here. because it is not upscale enough. just like 2.0L EuroAccord.
I have driven in Euro Civic R few years back and it is far better than IG TSX and is priced closer to 2G TSX.
If it is $29k fully loaded in US market. It will reflect all that attributes.
It will be more closer to HS250 which is 1G TSX size. and if RDX has SH-AWD i dont see any reason of this USDM Acura not getting SH-AWD.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,367 Likes on 4,922 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
so ur basing on Canadian CSX example for US market.
Youre one to talk Mr. Acura-Number-One-Best-Super-Most-Auto-Maker-Ever-Because-Euro-Accord-Is-Reliable.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:43 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
so ur basing on Canadian CSX example for US market.
Let me remind you what you posted.

So i dont see how current Civic is lesser car than 1G TSX once you load it up with standard features.
The CSX is that same Civic with most if not all of those standard features. I was trying to explain to you how a current gen Civic is in fact a lesser car than the first gen TSX. So, yes, I'm basing that off the CSX since there's nothing else to go by. Please don't reply because I won't be responding.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dom
Let me remind you what you posted.

The CSX is that same Civic with most if not all of those standard features. I was trying to explain to you how a current gen Civic is in fact a lesser car than the first gen TSX. So, yes, I'm basing that off the CSX since there's nothing else to go by. Please don't reply because I won't be responding.
Well i have seen 6MT Civic SI numbers. surely it is not as refined as 1G TSX but in Performance/handling it outstrip IG TSX and that what counts. Look at R&T comparision test. you cannot deduce from Civic Si Acura model based on it. just like RDX/CRV. Pilot/MDX. Civic Si is not cheap car. it is priced as RSX.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Well i have seen 6MT Civic SI numbers. surely it is not as refined as 1G TSX but in Performance/handling it outstrip IG TSX and that what counts. Look at R&T comparision test. you cannot deduce from Civic Si Acura model based on it. just like RDX/CRV. Pilot/MDX. Civic Si is not cheap car. it is priced as RSX.
at comparing the pricing of the current civic to the RSX which was last available in the states nearly 5 years ago!
Old 11-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
at comparing the pricing of the current civic to the RSX which was last available in the states nearly 5 years ago!
Civic prices hasnt moved that much. standard Si dont have leather.
except for EX-L leather Civic was introduced.
Sub TSX Acura version will be much more upscale in interior & sound dreadening. It will be heavier car.
I dont see CSX as relevent to US market as it is essentially Civic Si.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I don't believe we are getting the CSX, here's a quote of what you're looking at.

The new entry level sub-TSX model is on track to be shown next year. The source says it will be offered with gasoline and hybrid powertrains. Also, and I quote: "We have been told it is very edgy and very affordable. 'Think aggressive IS350' we were told."
I wouldn't call it an Accord platform or Civic platform necessarily, it's more like compact and mid versions. The global mid platform has gotten to large to really accomodate a vehicle of smaller dimensions. Not necessarily a fault to Honda/Acura more to the general direction of the market. I know many harp over a smaller, lighter Acura vehicle (some of which say you preffered but at the same time didn't fit in) but really there is less and less market for that in a luxury division, that's what Honda is for now. I think some are lucky to be getting this as the TSX fits the new standard for entry sized.

You can't fault them for aligning their products with everyone else's. I remember hearing how Acura would never be taken too seriously by offereing several small entry disquised 4 cyl Hondas, they answered those critics but now a new set has emerged for the things people were against just a few years ago. You can't please everyone, and rarely do you get to have it all or have your cake and eat it too, it's as simple as that but at least they are trying and deserve credit for that.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 11-16-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:49 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
I don't believe we are getting the CSX, here's a quote of what you're looking at.

I wouldn't call it an Accord platform or Civic platform necessarily, it's more like compact and mid versions.
So, you're suggesting the sub TSX Acura will be on another platform?

The global mid platform has gotten to large to really accomodate a vehicle of smaller dimensions. Not necessarily a fault to Honda/Acura more to the general direction of the market. I know many harp over a smaller, lighter Acura vehicle (some of which say you preffered but at the same time didn't fit in)
I fit just fine.

but really there is less and less market for that in a luxury division, that's what Honda is for now. I think some are lucky to be getting this as the TSX fits the new standard for entry sized.
Then why is Acura coming out with a sub TSX Acura?

You can't fault them for aligning their products with everyone else's. I remember hearing how Acura would never be taken too seriously by offereing several small entry disquised 4 cyl Hondas, they answered those critics but now a new set has emerged for the things people were against just a few years ago. You can't please everyone, and rarely do you get to have it all or have your cake and eat it too, it's as simple as that but at least they are trying and deserve credit for that.
I have no problem with re-badged Civic as an Acura. Seems to work well up here. I just think some of you should ease up on your expectations. If you think this will be anything other than a re-badged Honda Civic I think you'll be in for a huge letdown. Again, nothing wrong with that car, but it is what it is. CSX's are made along Civic's in Ontario. I don't see how that's going to change.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I realize I'm in the minority but the first gen TSX was the PERFECT size car. Never mind the weight, I realize it was going to get heavier but they could have kept those same dimensions. All it needed was more power. I think Jeff at TOV drove a Euro-R, equipped with the 2.0L 225HP engine and loved it. I would have loved to give that a try.

And I love how SSFTSX posts pictures of the TL as if we're going to see something we missed before and now suddenly love its styling. We've seen the car several times, please stop posting pictures.
While I like the 2G TSX a little bit more than the 1G on the whole, I do agree that the 1G was a nice size. As mentioned, the size difference between the 1G TSX and 3G TL was not that much so if you wanted something bigger, like I did, it was easy to upgrade into the TL. Now the difference in size between the 2G TSX and 4G TL is tremendous. Its much harder to do with price in size. Hopefully, Acura will realize this and when the next gen's come out, the size differences will be more proportional like they used to be so people can upgrade more easily.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pttl

Notice the square edges.
plus, the exterior and interior colors match pretty nicely and it squares out in most areas! plus don't forget about its excellent water clearance!
Old 11-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Safety Car

TSX is Honda Euro Accord. I dont see rebadge Civic as Sub TSX. but i see more on the lines of Honda Next Euro Civic R.
Rebadging Honda Civic for Acura will be like rebadging Asian Accord and call it TL.

Honda will not put Acura badge on this car and call it TL.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

that G20 is now replaced by G25. I30 FWD is G37. and the coupe/convertible is over the top of that.

Since TL/RL are identical size cars so they are essentially counted as one. No other premium brand has two identical size cars competing against each other.

Infiniti has 3 SUVs while Acura has 2 SUVs. Acura has 4 cylinder SUV
Only a premium brand can sell 4cylinder SUV at that price.

Infinti has the cheapest V6 car (Didnt you claim in TSX forum that once Cheaper Infiniti is lunched people will jump into the brand. I told there that Infiniti is bargain basement brand. People buy it to get cheapest entry into power per dollar). It is not the Badge but the cheap horsepower that is Infiniti Selling point.
It is pathetic that with so much bhp/latest transmission/RWD/Sport suspension/Options/Imported from Japan. It barely is competitive against standardized domestic FWD Acuras.
Acura will continue with FWD/AWD and will be far more successfull than Infiniti.
that G35 is now replaced by G37. TSX FWD is TL. and there is a lack of coupe/convertible is over the top of that.

Since G25/G37 are identical size cars so they are essentially counted as one. Most other premium brand has two identical size cars competing against each other.

Only a premium brand can sell 8cylinder SUV at that price. Only non premium brands sell 4cyl SUVs!

Acura has the cheapest I4 car (Didnt you claim in TSX forum that once Cheaper Acura is lunched people will jump into the brand. I told there that Acura is bargain basement brand. People buy it to get cheapest entry into power per dollar). It is not the Badge but the cheap horsepower that is Acura Selling point.
It is pathetic that with so much bhp/latest transmission/FWD/Sport suspension/Options/Imported from Japan. It barely is competitive against standardized domestic FWD Buicks.
Infiniti will continue with RWD/AWD and will be far more successfull than Acura .
Old 11-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by smarty666
that G35 is now replaced by G37. TSX FWD is TL. and there is a lack of coupe/convertible is over the top of that.

Since G25/G37 are identical size cars so they are essentially counted as one. Most other premium brand has two identical size cars competing against each other.

Only a premium brand can sell 8cylinder SUV at that price. Only non premium brands sell 4cyl SUVs!

Acura has the cheapest I4 car (Didnt you claim in TSX forum that once Cheaper Acura is lunched people will jump into the brand. I told there that Acura is bargain basement brand. People buy it to get cheapest entry into power per dollar). It is not the Badge but the cheap horsepower that is Acura Selling point.
It is pathetic that with so much bhp/latest transmission/FWD/Sport suspension/Options/Imported from Japan. It barely is competitive against standardized domestic FWD Buicks.
Infiniti will continue with RWD/AWD and will be far more successfull than Acura .
Yes G25 & G37 are same cars that why there is 110bhp difference among them. not to mention navigation and other options.
TL & RL are same size/power and 95% options. infact RL lacks 19inch HP rims/HDD navigation untill this point.
Only non-premium brand needs V8 selling at price lesser than non-premium 3 year old. (See Land Crusier V8).
You need to be alot smater than that to differentiate a value brand from Premium brand.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:24 PM

Notice the square edges.
Actually, thats just the concept. This is the production model:

The front overhang is actually shorter!! And look at those mirrors!
Old 11-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Old 11-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
So, you're suggesting the sub TSX Acura will be on another platform?
No, chances are it will be a on the platform the Civic shares but I don't necessarily call it the Civic platform or Accord platform, that's not actually how they are designed, that's what they are mostly used in.

I fit just fine.
It's not if you fit or not, it's more if that's the type of car you are looking for and would actually consider.

Then why is Acura coming out with a sub TSX Acura?
For the record, I think it is a good idea from a busniess standpoint, I am not suggesting otherwise. Obviously there is some market for it, although small but that doesn't mean they can't make money on it. The big thing is it's very cost effective to build and might be the most net profitable Acura per unit. Plus it helps indentify the new TL and TSX positions which create a bit of confusion and they want to try to appeal to more people. They seem to only offer specific products for specific demographics and a few niche vehicles so anything they can add will help.

I have no problem with re-badged Civic as an Acura. Seems to work well up here. I just think some of you should ease up on your expectations. If you think this will be anything other than a re-badged Honda Civic I think you'll be in for a huge letdown. Again, nothing wrong with that car, but it is what it is. CSX's are made along Civic's in Ontario. I don't see how that's going to change.
I have no expectations for it really as I don't have interest in that type of vehicle. I would be surprised if it was anything but the same platform as the new Civic. I just think whatver it is, it will be good for the brand and consumers as they can get into a smaller, cheaper Acura, maybe at the expense of Honda but whatever, it's more profits.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 11-16-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

It's not if you fit or not, it's more if that's the type of car you are looking for and would actually consider.

Im 6'5. Most of my height is in my legs, But I came about 2" short on head room in the 1g TSX. I would liked to have fit in it.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:07 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,303 Likes on 4,028 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr

Now THAT is fawkin SWEET! I'm in!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:14 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

No, chances are it will be a on the platform the Civic shares but I don't necessarily call it the Civic platform or Accord platform, that's not actually how they are designed, that's what they are mostly used in.
I have no expectations for it really as I don't have interest in that type of vehicle. I would be surprised if it was anything but the same platform as the new Civic. I just think whatver it is, it will be good for the brand and consumers as they can get into a smaller, cheaper Acura, maybe at the expense of Honda but whatever, it's more profits.
The CSX and Civic share a platform and assembly line. All I'm thinking is that won't change. Which means CSX/Whatever they call it = Dressed up Civic. We shall see.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow Update

Honda Fit EV
The all-new Fit EV Concept electric vehicle made its world debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show and strongly suggests the direction and styling of an upcoming production Fit EV all-electric vehicle, which will be introduced to the U.S. and Japan in 2012. The Fit EV is designed to meet the daily driving needs of the average metropolitan commuter. When the Fit EV is introduced, it will feature:

* Same 5-passenger packaging found in the popular Fit hatchback.
* The Fit EV will achieve an estimated 100-mile driving range per charge using the US EPA LA4 city cycle (70 miles when applying EPA's adjustment factor).
* Lithium-ion battery.
* High-density coaxial electric motor derived from the FCX Clarity.
* 3-mode E-Drive system with Econ, Normal and Sport modes to maximize efficiency or improve acceleration.
* Battery fully recharged in less than 12 hours with 120-volt outlet and fully recharged in less than 6 hours with 240-volt outlet.
* Standard connectivity system provides driver connectivity to the Fit EV from smartphone and personal computer or the Honda-exclusive interactive remote.
* Connectivity system allows the driver to: check state of charge, initiate charging and remotely activate the air conditioning.
* Mobile application and website offer additional features: set charging schedule to optimize utility rates, send charging alerts and notifications, locate nearest charging station, and provide 24-hour roadside assistance connectivity.
* Standard Honda Satellite Linked Navigation System™ with charging station locator capability.

Plug-In Hybrid
The Honda plug-in hybrid platform was unveiled for the first time at the Los Angeles Auto Show. A plug-in hybrid sedan will be introduced to the U.S. and Japan in 2012. The plug-in hybrid is designed to be compatible with daily driving habits, allowing for short, frequent trips in all-electric mode while providing long-distance, fuel-efficient driving capability when needed.

The platform features:

* Next-generation 2-motor Honda hybrid system.
* 3 different driving modes to maximize efficiency: all-electric, gasoline-electric and engine direct drive.
* For all-electric driving, the vehicle uses a 6kWh lithium-ion battery and a 120 kW motor.
* All-electric range of 10-15 miles with top speed of 62 mph.
* Battery fully recharged in 2- 2.5 hours using 120-volt outlet, 1-1.5 hours using 240-volt outlet.

Honda Advanced Technology Demonstration Program

Honda will launch an Advanced Technology Demonstration Program this year to provide real-world testing of its new vehicles. Participants include: Stanford University, City of Torrance, Calif. and Google, Inc.
In addition to real-world testing, the 3 participants will focus on the following issues:

* Stanford University: behavioral and usability research surrounding the adoption of electric vehicles. Additional research will be conducted on transportation systems and battery electric sustainability. Honda will be working with the Center for Automotive Research at Stanford (CARS).
* City of Torrance: charging infrastructure development, public education and awareness about electric vehicles as well as promoting sustainable community initiatives. Honda will be working with several city departments, including the Community Development department and Public Works office, along with the Economic Development office.
* Google, Inc: collaboration through Google's RechargeIT initiative to evaluate the benefits of plug-in vehicles and accelerate their adoption. The vehicle will be tested through the Gfleet, Google's employee car-sharing service. The partnership will involve analysis of vehicle usage including CO2 reduction, energy consumption on a miles/kWh basis and overall energy cost.

Honda Electric Mobility Network and Energy Management

Together with the FCX Clarity fuel cell electric vehicle, the Fit EV and the future plug-in hybrid vehicle will be a part of the company's new comprehensive approach to reducing CO2 emissions. Honda's approach includes the following initiatives:

* Honda Electric Mobility Network: Introducing products equipped with the latest in advanced environmental technologies that meet the daily driving needs of customers.
* Energy production: Manufacturing thin-film solar panels and developing innovative ways to produce and distribute energy using sustainable methods.
* Energy management: Development of home energy management systems that utilize micro-cogeneration technology and solar cell modules.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:34 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 836 Likes on 520 Posts
Finally a decent hybrid system suitable for higher-end Honda/Acura models....
Old 11-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its disturbing how many people actually buy the CSX (or even the EL). Its pretty expensive for a rebadged civic. They could have atleast made it available in coupe form with a nice A-Spec kit....maybe even make the 200hp motor standard
Old 11-17-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts

[pic]

and the "water clearance" comment sent me over the top!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts

Old 11-18-2010, 05:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Now THAT is fawkin SWEET! I'm in!
4 tailpipes.. it's a V8 RWD??
Old 11-18-2010, 10:14 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

All sounds very promising. Time to deliver!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:15 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

http://www.hondanews.com/channels/co...eles-auto-show

Honda today unveiled the all-new Fit EV Concept electric vehicle and the platform for a midsize plug-in hybrid vehicle. Both vehicles are integral to the Honda Electric Mobility Network, the company's comprehensive approach to reducing CO2 emissions through innovative products, energy-management and energy-production technologies.

The Fit EV Concept hints strongly at the direction and styling for Honda's upcoming production Fit EV all-electric vehicle, which will be introduced to the U.S. and Japan in 2012. The all-new plug-in hybrid platform showcases Honda's next-generation, two-motor hybrid technology set to debut in 2012.

"Honda's long history with electromotive technologies has enabled us to understand customer requirements," said Takanobu Ito, Honda Motor Co., Ltd. President and CEO. "In Honda's view, an electric vehicle must offer great utility and be fun to drive. Fit EV's urban commuting capability will be a perfect addition to the full-function mobility of the plug-in hybrid and FCX Clarity fuel cell electric vehicle."

Honda Fit EV
The Fit EV is designed to meet the daily driving needs of the average metropolitan commuter and utilizes the same 5-passenger layout found in the popular Fit hatchback. When the Fit EV production model is introduced, it will be powered by a lithium-ion battery and coaxial electric motor.

The high-density motor, derived from the FCX Clarity fuel cell electric vehicle, delivers excellent efficiency and power while remaining quiet at high speeds. The Fit EV will have a top speed of 90 mph.

The Fit EV will achieve an estimated 100-mile driving range per charge using the US EPA LA4* city cycle (70 miles when applying EPA's adjustment factor). Driving range can be maximized by use of an innovative 3-mode electric drive system, adapted from the 2011 Honda CR-Z sport hybrid. The system allows the driver to select between Econ, Normal, and Sport to instantly and seamlessly change the driving experience to maximize efficiency or improve acceleration. While in Econ mode, practical driving range can increase by as much as 17 percent, compared to driving in Normal mode, and up to 25 percent compared to driving in Sport mode. Acceleration improves significantly when in Sport mode, generating performance similar to a vehicle equipped with a 2.0-liter gasoline engine.

In addition to the 3-mode E-Drive system, the Fit EV will include several interactive coaching systems to assist the driver in maximizing battery range.

A special meter display advises the driver when to shut off air conditioning and other accessories to conserve battery power.

To help the driver manage the electric vehicle ownership experience, the Fit EV will have a standard connectivity system that allows the driver to stay connected through a smartphone and personal computer, or the Honda-exclusive interactive remote, while away from the vehicle. The pocket-friendly, interactive remote provides connectivity to the vehicle without the need for an internet connection or mobile phone signal. Through the connectivity system, drivers will be able to remotely view the vehicle's state of charge, initiate charging and activate the air conditioning, even while connected to the grid, to reduce the drain on the battery at start-up. The mobile application and website also offers the ability to set charging notifications and alerts to optimize utility rates, and provides 24-hour roadside assistance, along with a public charging station locator. The Fit EV will come equipped with a standard Honda Satellite Linked Navigation System™ that includes a public charging-station locator capability.

The Fit EV is designed to be easy and convenient to charge. Battery recharging can be accomplished in less than 12 hours when using a conventional 120-volt outlet, and less than six hours when using a 240-volt outlet.
The Fit EV Concept displayed at the Los Angeles Auto Show features an exclusive Deep Clear Blue Pearl exterior color and distinctive five-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels with blue inserts. The Concept has unique LED headlights, a chrome front fascia, aerodynamic bumper, clear LED taillights and EV decals. Inside, the Fit EV Concept is outfitted in an eco-friendly gray bio-fabric on the seating surfaces.

Displayed alongside the Fit EV Concept at the show is a prototype Honda charging stand. To begin charging, the driver swipes a card in front of the screen and then connects the charger to the vehicle. The Honda charging stand provides a glimpse at the future of an electric-charging infrastructure that is easy to use and intuitive for consumers.

Honda Plug-in Hybrid
Honda also unveiled a plug-in hybrid platform, which showcases Honda's next-generation two-motor hybrid system. Integrated into a mid-size sedan platform, the plug-in hybrid is designed to be compatible with daily driving habits, allowing for short, frequent trips in all-electric mode, while providing long-distance driving capability when needed. The Honda two-motor system continuously moves through three different modes to maximize driving efficiency: all-electric, gasoline-electric and a unique, engine direct-drive mode. The plug-in hybrid also uses regenerative braking to charge the battery.

In all-electric mode, the vehicle uses a 6kWh lithium-ion battery and a powerful 120 kW electric motor. The all-electric mode achieves a range of approximately 10-15 miles in city driving and a top speed of 62 mph. Fully recharging the battery will take 2 to 2.5 hours using a 120-volt outlet and 1 to 1.5 hours using a 240-volt outlet.

The vehicle can also run in a gasoline-electric hybrid mode, the platform features a fuel-efficient 2.0-liter, i-VTEC® inline 4-cylinder, Atkinson cycle engine, paired with an electric Continuously Variable Transmission (E-CVT). An onboard generator adds to the battery powering the electric motor.

For more efficient high-speed cruising, the vehicle can engage in a direct-drive mode, in which only the engine drives the front wheels.

Advanced Technology Demonstration Program
Honda will launch an Advanced Technology Demonstration Program this year to provide real-world testing of its new vehicles, as well as research into customer behavior and usability, public charging infrastructure planning and sustainability initiatives. Partners in the program will include Stanford University, City of Torrance, Calif. and Google, Inc.

Honda Electric Mobility Network and Energy Management
Together with the Honda FCX Clarity fuel cell electric vehicle, the Fit EV and the future plug-in hybrid vehicle are a part of the company's comprehensive approach to reducing CO2 emissions. Honda is unique in its efforts to create both environmentally-responsible products and the renewable energy solutions to power them. Honda is currently producing and marketing thin-film solar panels in Japan, and an installation is planned at Honda Performance Development in Southern California in early 2011. Honda is also using innovative ways to produce and distribute energy through sustainable methods, such as using solar power to produce hydrogen fuel from water. Additionally, Honda is developing home energy-management systems that utilize micro-cogeneration technology and solar cell modules to power and heat homes as well as charge electric vehicles. The Honda Electric Mobility Network joins clean vehicle technology, renewable energy production and energy management solutions for the benefit of customers and society.

Honda Environmental Leadership
The Fit EV and a plug-in hybrid sedan will be introduced to the U.S. and Japan in 2012, joining Honda's diverse lineup of environmentally-responsible vehicles, which include the FCX Clarity fuel cell electric vehicle, the Civic GX compressed natural gas-powered sedan (U.S. only) and four distinct gasoline-electric hybrid models: Civic Hybrid; CR-Z sport hybrid; Insight hybrid and Fit Hybrid (Japan and Europe only).

Honda was recently named America's "Greenest Automaker" for the fifth consecutive time by the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS). The award is earned by the company with the lowest combined smog-forming and greenhouse-gas emissions (primarily CO2) in its U.S. automobile fleet.

Honda has led the UCS rankings of overall vehicle environmental performance since the first UCS study in 2000, marking a decade of Honda leadership in reduced vehicle emissions. Honda earned the recognition this year with an industry-best score based on model year 2008 data, the latest available for analysis.

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda began operations in the U.S. in 1959 with the establishment of American Honda Motor Co., Inc., Honda's first overseas subsidiary. Honda began U.S. production of motorcycles in 1979 and automobiles in 1982. With nine U.S. plants, Honda has invested more than $12.7 billion in its U.S. operations. The company employs nearly 25,000 associates and annually purchases $12 billion in parts and materials from more than 530 U.S. suppliers. Honda vehicles are manufactured using domestic and globally sourced parts.

For high-resolution photos, broadcast quality videos and media information from the Los Angeles Auto Show announcements, please visit www.hondanews.com.

Sounds good. Lets hope its affordable.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 708 Likes on 427 Posts
I just hope it doesn't look like shit.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I would like to have one?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:22 AM
My first Avatar....

12 hour recharge?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:30 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

12 hour recharge?
I think that's about the same as the Volt and less than the Leaf.

Its 6 hours on 240.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:35 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by dom

Its 6 hours on 240.
12 hours is still WAAAAAYYYY too much. This would completely keep me out of the EV market.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Leaf

Using the on-board 3.3 kW charger[38] and 7.5 m (25 ft)[39] cable included by Nissan, the Leaf can be fully recharged from empty in under 20 hours from a standard household outlet (120 volt, 15 amp breaker, 12 amp maximum allowable draw[40], 1.4 kW) in North America and Japan; recharging a partially discharged pack requires less time.[41] It can be charged in 8 hours from a 220/240 volt 30 amp supply (5.2 kW allowable draw[40]) that can provide the on-board charger its full 3.3 kW of usable power.[4
Volt
A full charge via a 110-volt outlet is expected to take six to seven hours, and GM anticipates a two-to-three-hour charge time with the optional, Chevy-supplied 240-volt charging system.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:38 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

12 hours is still WAAAAAYYYY too much. This would completely keep me out of the EV market.
Its intended purpose is nothing but a commuter car. Get home at 6pm, charge until 6am. 20 hours is where there should be concern.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by krio
4 tailpipes.. it's a V8 RWD??
Nope, its the new J38 with 309hp. It is the most powerful Acura ever.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Nope, its the new J38 with 309hp. It is the most powerful Acura ever.
<-------- Runs out to store to buy one.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:10 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
<-------- Runs out to store to buy one.
Darth Vader in the new RL. Only if it's black.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:35 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I guess that's one of the reasons why they still make hybrids, in particular plug-in hybrids?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:17 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by dom
Its intended purpose is nothing but a commuter car. Get home at 6pm, charge until 6am. 20 hours is where there should be concern.
20 hours is absurd. You'd use the car every other day.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:26 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,594 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

Its 6 hours on 240.
I think most of the manufacturers are pushing the 240V charge on the owners. Trouble is, unless there's a 240V outlet in or near the garage that's a problem. I guess 240V extentions are the only solution since full charging doesn't seem realistic with 120V.

Quick Reply: Honda: Development and Technology News