Honda: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
The main reason I think the TL gained size is because of the TSX. The 1G TSX was criticized for its small dimensions and lack of power. They address that by making it bigger and more powerful. That would make it almost the same size as the 3G TL and more powerful. This gives them the opportunity to make the TL bigger and try to move it upmarket (but it lacks too many features to play with the 5 series or E-Class).

Besides re-styling the TL, I think they need to fix the RL - make it bigger and more powerful. Then they need to design a coupe.
And that is something i dont understand. If you think the car is too small, how about buying the next car up, The TL. They keep making cars larger and larger and by doing so make the price go up. They took the fun out of the TSX by making it so large and heavy.

Shit, my mini is too small, can you make it the size of a 5 series.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:59 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,303 Likes on 4,028 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy

If Audi is the "best car company on earth" why don't you (and everyone else for that matter) just buy an Audi and be done with it, instead of constantly bitching about Acura's "failures"?
But I was talking about Acura, as being the best car company on earth. Acura has never failed. All other car companies pale in comparison to Acura.

Your paranoia is growing worse.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts

If Audi is the "best car company on earth" why don't you (and everyone else for that matter) just buy an Audi and be done with it, instead of constantly bitching about Acura's "failures"?
Originally Posted by pttl
But I was talking about Acura, as being the best car company on earth. Acura has never failed. All other car companies pale in comparison to Acura.

My god! You guys are all nuts. You all make it sound like there is no middle ground between abject failure and walking on water...
Old 11-15-2010, 11:03 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Well, why didn't you just say so then?

Sarcasm notwithstanding, Acura is the worst car company on earth.

Or is your hatred towards Acura growing exponentially?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:14 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
My god! You guys are all nuts. You all make it sound like there is no middle ground between abject failure and walking on water...
I'm certainly no "fanboy" but IMHO I think (for the most part) Acura's strengths outweigh its weakness.. much to the demise of the majority here on Cartalk/Autonews who think Acura is a total failure in every aspect b/c of its lack of RWD chasis, polarizing "keen edge" styling, and growing dimensions/weight.

Trying to keep the thread on topic (as alluded to above) as Acura continues to refine the dimensions/specs of the TSX and TL, and as Acura introduces the sub TSX model in the states, it should make a merrier and more pleasing lineup.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
And that is something i dont understand. If you think the car is too small, how about buying the next car up, The TL. They keep making cars larger and larger and by doing so make the price go up. They took the fun out of the TSX by making it so large and heavy.

Theres a big price difference. Not to mention maintenance, insurance and fuel costs.

The price of the TL went up but the price of the 2G TSX was lowered by $3,300 in Canada.

I agree that increasing the weight of a car is the worst thing for performance. But then again the 2G I4 is still faster than its predecessor. Not to mention the V6 TSX is probably alot more fun to drive than the 1G or 2G I4. Have you driven the new TSX? My only problem with its performance is the light steering feel - its got a numb on center feel

I dont notice the 65kg of additional weight (frankly if u can feel 65kg of additional weight u must have some kind of super power )

At the end of the day I dont mind the slight weight gains in ALL automobiles these days (not just Acura). Its not like manufacturers have a choice, they need to accomodate all the safety equipment to meet stricter requirements. Plus consumers want tons of goodies in their cars these days and that all adds weight.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mini came out with the Clubman and now the Countryman SUV because it was too small originally. Thats not a good example
Old 11-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by smarty666
Acura is brand that is only depended on single product. and that design is going to stale. Acura has no influence on Luxury market.
Infiniti is going to continue with RWD lineup and bringing small car. Infiniti is the least damage by current Financial meltdown as it does not have I35/G20 in sale lineup. and every one else is going to follow.

Even the RIMs are poor copy of G37.
In mid size segement G37 is by far the best and modern design both from inside and outside. Just the cohesive of interior flow.

Even MB E350 inteiro is Infiniti style which started from Nissan Maxima. look at the three dails and navi screen.

Infiniti has much more influence on Luxury world. Now every one is going to copy RWD/V6 just like every one is following Audi LEDs.

that G20 is now replaced by G25. I30 FWD is G37. and the coupe/convertible is over the top of that.

Since TL/RL are identical size cars so they are essentially counted as one. No other premium brand has two identical size cars competing against each other.

Infiniti has 3 SUVs while Acura has 2 SUVs. Acura has 4 cylinder SUV
Only a premium brand can sell 4cylinder SUV at that price.

Infinti has the cheapest V6 car (Didnt you claim in TSX forum that once Cheaper Infiniti is lunched people will jump into the brand. I told there that Infiniti is bargain basement brand. People buy it to get cheapest entry into power per dollar). It is not the Badge but the cheap horsepower that is Infiniti Selling point.
It is pathetic that with so much bhp/latest transmission/RWD/Sport suspension/Options/Imported from Japan. It barely is competitive against standardized domestic FWD Acuras.
Acura will continue with FWD/AWD and will be far more successfull than Infiniti.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:13 AM
Safety Car

Both Interior & Exterior colors have very good match. Every thing square edges.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:40 AM
My first Avatar....

There is no middle ground. Friend or foe....who goes there?
Old 11-16-2010, 06:42 AM
My first Avatar....

Well, why didn't you just say so then?

Sarcasm notwithstanding, Acura is the worst car company on earth.

Or is your hatred towards Acura growing exponentially?
Friend or foe...who goes there?

Old 11-16-2010, 06:54 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,594 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha

That being said, I'm that the NSX is gone. A proper RWD car is not available. A V8 engine in the fleet would also be nice. But, doesn't make me "hate" the brand. Call me moderate.

I've maintained that the current TL is not as ugly as it is in person. But, I could do without the beak. Who knows what my decision would be if I were starting out again...Would I buy an Acura product? In some ways, I'd can't say I wouldn't. The only reason I'm in an Infiniti is because I wanted to try something different since I had a CL-S for 9 years.

But, also...keep in mind, the most vocal critics are just a small handful. The rest are...I think more or less on the same boat I'm on...?
I'm in the same boat, mostly in the middle. Today there's not a single Acura product I would purchase for me, perhaps we'd get a MDX for my wife's Pilot replacement eventually. I would definitely buy my 3G TL again, but not a 4G.

And you're last statement is also very true.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Shift_Acura

Theres a big price difference. Not to mention maintenance, insurance and fuel costs.

The price of the TL went up but the price of the 2G TSX was lowered by $3,300 in Canada.

I agree that increasing the weight of a car is the worst thing for performance. But then again the 2G I4 is still faster than its predecessor. Not to mention the V6 TSX is probably alot more fun to drive than the 1G or 2G I4. Have you driven the new TSX? My only problem with its performance is the light steering feel - its got a numb on center feel

I dont notice the 65kg of additional weight (frankly if u can feel 65kg of additional weight u must have some kind of super power )

At the end of the day I dont mind the slight weight gains in ALL automobiles these days (not just Acura). Its not like manufacturers have a choice, they need to accomodate all the safety equipment to meet stricter requirements. Plus consumers want tons of goodies in their cars these days and that all adds weight.
Id didnt go down by 3300 here.
To me, the old car (gen 1) was much more nimble and more fun to drive (though i had very limited seat time because i didnt fit in it) (Please give me a option box to UNCHECK the moonroof option ON ALL ACURAS) but i preferred it to the new one. But that is just me.

And yes, i can feel the difference in 143 lbs (depending on where the weight is). I could tell the difference on the track pulling my sub box out and my spare tire which probably comes to 50lbs.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Colin, some of the extremists on this thread are amusing to say the least.

Fortunately we're not among them or live near them.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:06 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by smarty666
Yeah, the 3G was just the right size to fit easily in to most overhead storage compartments
Not on Southwest, they made me put my 3G into one of those baggage size check baskets to see if it would fit in
Old 11-16-2010, 07:49 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I realize I'm in the minority but the first gen TSX was the PERFECT size car. Never mind the weight, I realize it was going to get heavier but they could have kept those same dimensions. All it needed was more power. I think Jeff at TOV drove a Euro-R, equipped with the 2.0L 225HP engine and loved it. I would have loved to give that a try.

And I love how SSFTSX posts pictures of the TL as if we're going to see something we missed before and now suddenly love its styling. We've seen the car several times, please stop posting pictures.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
I realize I'm in the minority but the first gen TSX was the PERFECT size car. Never mind the weight, I realize it was going to get heavier but they could have kept those same dimensions. All it needed was more power. I think Jeff at TOV drove a Euro-R, equipped with the 2.0L 225HP engine and loved it. I would have loved to give that a try.

And I love how SSFTSX posts pictures of the TL as if we're going to see something we missed before and now suddenly love its styling. We've seen the car several times, please stop posting pictures.
I dont think you are in the minority. Minus the lack of head room it was the right size for the car.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:27 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 708 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Yes, please stop posting pictures, if the goal is to make us like the car they're really not helping your case...
Old 11-16-2010, 09:15 AM
My first Avatar....

^
You guys just can't appreciate true beauty.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

^
You guys just can't appreciate true beauty.
Yes, the high ground clearance and aerodynamic mirrors are like none other
Old 11-16-2010, 10:35 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by dom

You're not the only one, the 2G RL, 3G TL and 1G TSX were all sized pretty well to provide distinction between them. Almost like the 7/5/3 sizing. The 2G RL could be been slightly larger inside but I like that it like the 3G TL was slightly shorter but wider and taller than it's predecessor the 1G RL and 2G TL respectively.

Now the 4G TL grew into the 2G RL size and the 2G TSX also grew into roughly a 3G TL size. They've bunched up the platform sizing, personally they should have kept all three in their respective sizes. Curious what the next RL size will be.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 11-16-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:20 AM
My first Avatar....

Yes, the high ground clearance and aerodynamic mirrors are like none other
That and the square edges on everything....

Last edited by pttl; 11-16-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm the Firestarter

The 1st gen TSX was the perfect size for me too. With the 2nd gen I felt like they made the car look bigger but it wasn't any bigger on the inside. When I test-drove it I felt like they added a bunch of sheetmetal for no reason, the large hood felt kind of weird.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm the Firestarter

That and the square edges on everything....
And don't forget the perfect proportions, especially the ratio of the plenum grille to the size of the door latches.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
A lot of the issue comes from the fact that while the models are the same name in the TL and TSX their positions and markets have changed. The TSX has been made to reflect more of the previous TL market and the TL is more of an RL. This type of transition is unfortunately good for the long term but bad for the short term as they overlap and it left two gaps, one in betwen the TL and TSX and one below the TSX as well as the long time lack of a full sized vehicle but in time all of this will be squared away.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
but in time all of this will be squared away.
... much like the edges of the beautifully-proportioned TL.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:09 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Curious what the next RL size will be.

Notice the square edges.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,367 Likes on 4,922 Posts
Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts

I already drive an RL that feels like a boat, it too has square edges and therefore is superior..
Old 11-16-2010, 01:34 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
A lot of the issue comes from the fact that while the models are the same name in the TL and TSX their positions and markets have changed. The TSX has been made to reflect more of the previous TL market and the TL is more of an RL. This type of transition is unfortunately good for the long term but bad for the short term as they overlap and it left two gaps, one in betwen the TL and TSX and one below the TSX as well as the long time lack of a full sized vehicle but in time all of this will be squared away.
The issue I have with that is the next gen first gen TSX sized car will be based off a Civic. While the TSX was obviously an Accord. So now I'll be getting what could be a lesser automobile for the same money?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,817 Likes on 13,991 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

I already drive an RL that feels like a boat, it too has square edges and therefore is superior..
Slap a BMW badge on that and your car will be instant cum for all...
Old 11-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dom
The issue I have with that is the next gen first gen TSX sized car will be based off a Civic. While the TSX was obviously an Accord. So now I'll be getting what could be a lesser automobile for the same money?
Civic current generation has larger Wheel base than 1G TSX.
Current Civic is as wide as 1G TSX.
interior leg room is about the same.
Civic just lack features of 1G TSX like independent suspenion, rear disc brakes, HID, climate control.
So i dont see how current Civic is lesser car than 1G TSX once you load it up with standard features.
Fully loaded Civic SI 200bhp is already $25K car. That is only $5k difference from 1G TSX price. Putting Acura badge (extra warranty) with some extra features will further close the difference.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by dom
Well no because now a Civic will be just as good as the old Accord. The Fit will be the new Civic, for the poor people.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:09 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

No idea why I'm even responding but...We already get an Acurarized Civic up here in Canada, (CSX) and let me assure you its no where near the car a first gen TSX was. In every conceivable area. And I had it as a loaner for 3 days so I've had plenty of wheel time.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
No idea why I'm even responding but...We already get an Acurarized Civic up here in Canada, (CSX) and let me assure you its no where near the car a first gen TSX was. In every conceivable area. And I had it as a loaner for 3 days so I've had plenty of wheel time.
It does seem to sell well in Canada, the CSX...
Old 11-16-2010, 02:18 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Ya. There's nothing wrong with the car. But there's no hiding its a Civic.

I suspect Acura will simply carry on with the CSX and simply now make it available in the US. Of course based off the new Civic platform and adding a hybrid option etc....
Old 11-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 11-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
Ya. There's nothing wrong with the car. But there's no hiding its a Civic.

I suspect Acura will simply carry on with the CSX and simply now make it available in the US. Of course based off the new Civic and adding a hybrid option etc....
Imagine how it will look with the TL beak on it
Old 11-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Imagine how it will look with the TL beak on it
The current iteration does have a beak on it. Honestly, it's not horrid.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

The current iteration does have a beak on it. Honestly, it's not horrid.
yea well the direction Acura has gone as of late with the new version coming im sure it will grow to grotesque proportions

Quick Reply: Honda: Development and Technology News