Honda: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 11:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I refuse to get something unreliable. I just won't do it.
How's that ticking time bomb (your AC) doing?

Sorry.

And aren't Jetta diesel's pretty much bullet proof? At least that what I hear about the older ones.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
How's that ticking time bomb (your AC) doing?

Sorry.

And aren't Jetta diesel's pretty much bullet proof? At least that what I hear about the older ones.
I have no idea, really, about the diesels. The brand in general is not something I'd call reliable, and I haven't heard great things about the dealership network, either. So yeah...pass.

I'll take my potential A/C problem over a VW any day.

Plus, I think the new Jetta looks like shyt anyway.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:14 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
If you want diesel that bad they'll be plenty of VW's, BMW's and Benz's for you to buy.

I guess they have the whole AT emissions issue sorted out.

But seriously, they have experience with diesels. Although experience is a poor choice of words since they sell more diesels than gas engines overseas. It shouldn't be surprising.
TDI's for everyone!

Another dropping of the ball....
Honda/Acura is running out of balls to drop.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:30 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
No thanks. I keep my cars past warranty.
Where do you see a BMW 3 series is any less reliable? BMWs can run just as long as any Honda, as long as you spend the money to maintain it. (And as long as you don't get too many electronic toys.)

If you are too cheap to change fluids, then that's a different problem.

Check Consumer reports and JD power.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:39 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by TMQ
Where do you see a BMW 3 series is any less reliable? BMWs can run just as long as any Honda, as long as you spend the money to maintain it. (And as long as you don't get too many electronic toys.)

All German cars are "built to break".
Old 10-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TMQ

But I want the electronic toys.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:34 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing runs forever. Not all Germans are alike, and in general, the Germans do make the cars that a lot of people would like to drive.

By the way, what electronic toys can you get on an Acura? Lane departure warning? Night vision? Head up display?
Old 10-31-2008, 06:36 AM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Although experience is a poor choice of words since they sell more diesels than gas engines overseas.
No they don't - the gasser still outsells the diesel. Actually, few diesels in any one model outsells the gasser equivalent.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:01 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by biker
No they don't - the gasser still outsells the diesel. Actually, few diesels in any one model outsells the gasser equivalent.
True...but they do sell alot.

Germany's Volkswagen (VW) is considered the benchmark of diesel technology. VW is Europe's biggest car maker and 40 per cent of the cars it sells in Germany have diesel engines. One high-volume model there is the Volkswagen Passat 1.9 TDI with a 1.9-litre turbo- diesel engine.
http://www.wildsingapore.com/news/20070910/070929-2.htm
Old 10-31-2008, 12:58 PM
Race Director

Actually, I though it was closer to 50%, especially for VW.

This was the prefect opportunity for Honda (with the USDM Accord) and Acura (with the TSX) to take lead in some automotive category - they probably could have outsold everyone else if they have enough production capacity. But it sounds like as usual they'll be coming late to the game, if ever. Somehow I don't see BMW or MB having issues with certification nor costs to delay their diesel debuts.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:40 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

@ this thread.

Not sure if you two noticed but its over 2 years old and the 'Clean diesel' has been delayed indefinitely.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Race Director

The iCTDi in the Euro Accord was built from the get go to make it to the US - this catalytic converter was the only hang up.
Apparently the converter and/or emissions may still be an issue or cost depending on which you want to believe.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:42 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
@ this thread.

Not sure if you two noticed but its over 2 years old and the 'Clean diesel' has been delayed indefinitely.
The bots have invaded!!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
It was a spammer and he's gone now. I would have caught this last night but the search wasn't working until now.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:29 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Didn't even check the post count....
Old 02-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Question Should the Accord Hybrid Make a Comeback

Now that I am seeing more & more Camry hybrids on the road, I started thinking whether or not Honda should take another stab @ the Accord hybrid ... especially since their diesel plans seem to be on hold.

Looking at the #s, the Accord Hybrid w/ its v6 engine obviously had a lot more HP & torque than the 4 cylinder Camry hybrid. The EPA estimates had them @ ~7mpg difference in combined driving {29/37 vs 43/37} & MotorTrend found there to be ~5mpg difference. Paired w/ a 4 instead of a 6 cylinder, the Accord Hybrid should definitely be able to close that gap.

If Honda really has cut the price of their IMA in half, then Accord Hybrid should look quite competitive ...
Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,772 Likes on 13,966 Posts
Merged...
Old 02-09-2009, 05:32 AM
Race Director

With the Insight intro, Honda has given up on any more hybrids. Heck even the Fusion beats the Camry. Honda has learned its lesson and will use hybrids only on smaller cars for fuel efficiency, not performance.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:59 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Honda abandons diesels in favor of hybrids

Thanks to stricter emissions regulations in the United States and Japan, Honda has officially canceled its future diesel plans. The Japanese automaker had planned diesel powerplants for a number of its Honda and Acura vehicles, but will now focus on hybrid technology.

Honda President Takeo Fukui says the decision to abandon diesels was largely based on the cost of making the oil burners compliant with regulations in the U.S. and Japan. “Even for larger-size vehicles, we think it’s more realistic to think about hybrids,” Fukui told Automotive News. “Therefore, we have changed our thinking.” Honda hasn’t made a large hybrid since the Accord Hybrid ended its production run in 2007.

Honda’s decision to abandon clean diesels has already become apparent in one production model. The Acura TSX was slated to get a diesel option this year, but Honda ultimately decided to go with a larger gas V6 engine to avoid any emissions headaches. The Honda Accord and Pilot were also slated to receive a diesel option, but those plans are likely DOA at this point.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-ab...tml#more-16407

sad
Old 04-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Our hopes of one day having a turbo diesel TSX to compete with the C class are vanquished.

I rode in my uncle's turbo diesel c-class in south africa. Thing is sick! With 5 adults in the car I was shocked at how hard that car pulled.

It may have been a bi-turbo but I don't recall.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
such BS.... ive lost all faith in honda and have no desire to own one of their lame duck automobiles. Hopefully one day this will change
Old 04-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Not just a smell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's pretty intelligent and forward thinking of Honda. Its a sad fact that few people realize replacing one fossil fuel with another is not a sustainable solution. Hybrids are a necessary development path for increasing battery/fuel cell performance.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishy
That's pretty intelligent and forward thinking of Honda. Its a sad fact that few people realize replacing one fossil fuel with another is not a sustainable solution. Hybrids are a necessary development path for increasing battery/fuel cell performance.

Hydrogen is better than the joke hybrids we're getting foisted upon us by Honda and Toyota.

And a 70mpg VW Polo diesel will be far more efficient than any Prius and doesn't have batteries that will have to be disposed of beneath a mountain in Nevada either.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Not just a smell

Originally Posted by charliemike
Hydrogen is better than the joke hybrids we're getting foisted upon us by Honda and Toyota...
Isn't hydrogen currently being made from fossile fuels? And biodiesel ultimately needs fertilizer made from natural gas to be commercially viable. The important point is that dependance on any fossil fuels is a short term solution. And a more important point is that the internal combustion engine is very inefficient and needs to be obsoleted.

Yes, the current hybrids suck or blow hard (depending on your preference) and cost more resources to make than they save in use but think of the current hybrid/electrics as Model T's. We'll have to suffer through some growing pains till batteries have more service life/capacity/power, and less disposal issues.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishy
Honda hasnt done any thing intelligent at all. They have lost their way.

Hybrids arent necessary. They arent the answer. Diesel is a far better solution for the mid term. Better mileage, much more durable, Can actually tow/haul things. doesnt ruin the environment with the batteries. Hydrogen is the future.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by charliemike

Hydrogen is better than the joke hybrids we're getting foisted upon us by Honda and Toyota.

And a 70mpg VW Polo diesel will be far more efficient than any Prius and doesn't have batteries that will have to be disposed of beneath a mountain in Nevada either.
Haven't you heard of the FCX Clarity? You're criticizing Honda, when the FCX Clarity is the only hydrogen fuel cell car on the market. Amazing.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Instructor

Sigh... I was still holding out some hope for the diesel, but this pretty much does it. After stringing me along for years with the temptation of a diesel, they've finally pulled the plug. I'm not sure I'll go forward with a TSX purchase with this news. I think Honda may have just lost themselves a potential Acura customer.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,772 Likes on 13,966 Posts
Merged.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:19 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Honda, drop your damn pride for being different from all other car makers. Forget about your "exotic metal catalyst" approach to curb diesel emissions, just follow others using urea injections.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:39 AM
Race Director

That article is such total crap - there's no way Honda can get out of the diesel business as long as it sells vehicles in Europe. Just as any automotive announcement introducing something new has to be taken with a grain of salt in this climate, any "cancellation" has to be regarded the same.

While it may not be a "diesel" engine, look for Honda to come out with an engine that can burn anything from gas to diesel (development has been going on for some time). Hybrids, electric, hydrogen, CNG and other alternatively powered cars will be niche for long time to come.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
You guys know my position when it comes to diesel vs hybrid.

Now bring back the Accord V6H and price it within $2,000 of the AV6 EX-L w/Navi and I'm in when the lease is up on my 07 AV6.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:12 PM
6G TLX-S

That article is such total crap - there's no way Honda can get out of the diesel business as long as it sells vehicles in Europe. Just as any automotive announcement introducing something new has to be taken with a grain of salt in this climate, any "cancellation" has to be regarded the same.

While it may not be a "diesel" engine, look for Honda to come out with an engine that can burn anything from gas to diesel (development has been going on for some time). Hybrids, electric, hydrogen, CNG and other alternatively powered cars will be niche for long time to come.
Honda has no problem whatsoever selling diesel engines in Europe. It's the too damn strict California emission regulations that the Honda diesel engines are having problem with.

In the worst case, Honda simply sells diesel engine vehicles everywhere in the world except North America.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:42 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Not sure if this has been posted before, but Honda recently signed a pact with GS Yuasa which is a battery company. Find more info here,

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=822923

Basically they will manufacture, R&D, and sell li-ion batteries. I guess it's safe to assume that these batteries will be used on future Honda Hybrids.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
They need to quit messing around with liquid fuels anyway and focus on making full electric more viable for day to day use. Basically that's what they're doing by focusing on the gas/electric hybrid, so I can't say I disagree with this strateegery.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Several weeks ago I sent a letter to Honda and Acura voicing my opinion regarding the then delay (impending cancellation) of the diesel TSX and diesel program. I received a letter from Acura saying to give a representative a call.

I just spoke with the Acura rep. He said Honda has temporarily stopped the diesel initiative due to present economic conditions, but that it may resume at some point in the future. He said they're currently focusing on the products their customers need, and while they are working on several technological advancements, some have been temporarily stopped because of the economy.

I noted to him that the CEO indicated the program had been canceled, and he said in present conditions, the company's stance can change day to day, so he can't assume Honda's current position on the program. According to him, at least, several programs, including the diesel may be resumed at any time if conditions change and they decide it's in their best interest. We'll see... Fukui's words seemed pretty certain, though just a year ago "we will put a diesel into an Acura in 2009" seemed pretty damn certain.

I also asked about the manual V6 TSX, and he said he doesn't know for sure, but given past history -- like with the TL -- there's a good chance it will get a MT in a year.

Anyway, the rep said he would forward my letter along with my interest in the MT V6 TSX to product planning and engineering so they can stay in the loop on what customers want.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Well that's slightly encouraging, anyway. Maybe I'll send a letter as well. I will say that I am a bit surprised that you got an actual response, even if it was a bit vague. I, too, wanted to purchase a diesel TSX, and was very disappointed by its cancellation.

I still think they should attempt diesels in the SUVs, due to these vehicles being so heavy and diesel engines being so full of torque. Hopefully they will bring the program back to life when the economy improves.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by spurfan15
Several weeks ago I sent a letter to Honda and Acura voicing my opinion regarding the then delay (impending cancellation) of the diesel TSX and diesel program. I received a letter from Acura saying to give a representative a call.

I just spoke with the Acura rep. He said Honda has temporarily stopped the diesel initiative due to present economic conditions, but that it may resume at some point in the future. He said they're currently focusing on the products their customers need, and while they are working on several technological advancements, some have been temporarily stopped because of the economy.

I noted to him that the CEO indicated the program had been canceled, and he said in present conditions, the company's stance can change day to day, so he can't assume Honda's current position on the program. According to him, at least, several programs, including the diesel may be resumed at any time if conditions change and they decide it's in their best interest. We'll see... Fukui's words seemed pretty certain, though just a year ago "we will put a diesel into an Acura in 2009" seemed pretty damn certain.

I also asked about the manual V6 TSX, and he said he doesn't know for sure, but given past history -- like with the TL -- there's a good chance it will get a MT in a year.

Anyway, the rep said he would forward my letter along with my interest in the MT V6 TSX to product planning and engineering so they can stay in the loop on what customers want.
I dont understand how V6 TSX is going to help Honda when it is surely going to cannablize V6 TL. and in down economy Fuel Economy and low maintainace is number one priority. It is because of diesel that VW has smallest decline in sales around the world.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=144990
Wegehaupt also confirmed that VW will add a diesel engine to the 2010 Golf lineup in the U.S. The engine, a 140-horsepower 2.0-liter inline-4, is also used in the Volkswagen Jetta. The diesel will be available this fall, he said.
http://subscribers.wardsauto.com/ar/...401/wall.html?
return=http://subscribers.wardsauto.com/ar/European_bullish_diesel_090401/
European Brands Still Bullish About Diesels
Volkswagen is seeing an 80% take rate for its TDI diesel option on the Jetta Sportwagen and a 30% take rate on the Jetta sedan. Mercedes is seeing strong ...
Old 04-06-2009, 05:19 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
SSFTSX, the V6 TSX is definitely not for you. It's for those that want some V6 performance in a smaller package than the current TL. I'm sure you have noticed (and you are probably one of them) that the current TL is too big for a lot of people. And when you look at the TSX forum, there had been many people asking for a V6 TSX, even though the 3G TL was available for them. So indeed, there's a demand.

No, not everyone needs or wants a V6 in a TSX, but there's enough demand out there to convince Honda to build a V6 TSX. In the last gen, they didn't put it in because re-engineering the 1st gen TSX to fit a V6 would cost way too much. However, this time around, the car's been engineered to accommodate the V6.

Will it cannibalize TL FWD's sale? May be? But perhaps the gains from selling more TSX is enough to offset the loss from selling less TL. We will know in the future.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:41 PM
6G TLX-S

^^^^^ Look at the TL & RL forums, also many people have been asking for a RWD chassis and a V8 for the RL. So indeed, there have been many demands too. But are we getting it ?? NO, it's just a bunch of lies.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
SSFTSX, the V6 TSX is definitely not for you. It's for those that want some V6 performance in a smaller package than the current TL. I'm sure you have noticed (and you are probably one of them) that the current TL is too big for a lot of people. And when you look at the TSX forum, there had been many people asking for a V6 TSX, even though the 3G TL was available for them. So indeed, there's a demand.

No, not everyone needs or wants a V6 in a TSX, but there's enough demand out there to convince Honda to build a V6 TSX. In the last gen, they didn't put it in because re-engineering the 1st gen TSX to fit a V6 would cost way too much. However, this time around, the car's been engineered to accommodate the V6.

Will it cannibalize TL FWD's sale? May be? But perhaps the gains from selling more TSX is enough to offset the loss from selling less TL. We will know in the future.
Yes there is damand for TSX with V6. There is even demand for TSX with SH-AWD. but it should not prevent Acura from introducing diesel TSX.
Look at Lexus. It has fallen behind MB/BMW in US market and it has the best hybrid/V6/transmission lineup.
so this news that hybrid alone works is US market is not true.
EuroAccord (TSX) not only needs 4 cylinder diesle but V6 high performance diesel like 335D. that is the best strategy for EU/China/US market.

Quick Reply: Honda: Development and Technology News