Honda: CR-Z News **Facelift Revealed (page 31)**

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
^^^Interesting to see if this move makes it to the US or if they just drop the Civic Si 2.0 liter in there....
Old 12-06-2010, 11:16 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Definitely a nice addition. This is what a lot of people on this forum want too. If this is true, let's see how the sales number will change.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Saw this on autoblog - If it looks like this, could be one hot ride (minus the rear spoiler)

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/sema-...rid-r-concept/
Old 12-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,313 Likes on 4,897 Posts
^ While that looks nice Ill take mine looking like the base model.

If this turns out to be true the US better be getting this model as well.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
If we get the type r I will most likely buy it.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:16 PM

I will definitely buy it. The CL has alot of miles on it and I wouldnt mind a new daily.

Ive waiting for the Fiat 500 to come out here, but if this turns out to be true Id much rather stay with Honda.

Im actually curious to see how similar the mileage ratings would be between the two drivetrains.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would trade in the RSX.....IF we got the Turbo
Old 12-06-2010, 03:43 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Interesting.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
Saw the TV review (TSN's Motoring) recently...they seemed to like it.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:19 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by brian6speed
If we get the type r I will most likely buy it.
I'm still not very familiar with IMA, so excuse me if I'm wrong on any of this, but I think a limitation of having a hybrid motor is that it can't spin as fast, and after googling I found that the CR-Z has a redline of only 6300. It's obviously not a high-revving engine but I think the low displacement gives it that impression. I doubt we will get any Type-R models, and if anything not a CR-Z.

Now that I think about it, it seems at least initially there were a lot of hybrids coupled with CVTs. I know the benefits of CVT (not that I particularly care for them) but they're supposedly not as stout as traditional automatics... at the same time electric motors usually help the powertrain put out a good amount of torque
Old 12-06-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Costco
I'm still not very familiar with IMA, so excuse me if I'm wrong on any of this, but I think a limitation of having a hybrid motor is that it can't spin as fast, and after googling I found that the CR-Z has a redline of only 6300. It's obviously not a high-revving engine but I think the low displacement gives it that impression. I doubt we will get any Type-R models, and if anything not a CR-Z.

Now that I think about it, it seems at least initially there were a lot of hybrids coupled with CVTs. I know the benefits of CVT (not that I particularly care for them) but they're supposedly not as stout as traditional automatics... at the same time electric motors usually help the powertrain put out a good amount of torque
Not sure where youre going with that but my understanding is the turbo'd motors wont be crippled by IMA. But I doubt we will get a Type R as well. If we did get both the 160hp and the 200hp models I would most likely be looking at the 160hp model anyway unless the "Type R" is a decent price (i.e. - not stepping on the Accord 6-6 prices).
Old 12-06-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Not sure where youre going with that but my understanding is the turbo'd motors wont be crippled by IMA. But I doubt we will get a Type R as well. If we did get both the 160hp and the 200hp models I would most likely be looking at the 160hp model anyway unless the "Type R" is a decent price (i.e. - not stepping on the Accord 6-6 prices).
I totally missed krio's post on an upcoming turbo CR-Z

I thought it was speculated that there would be a traditional Type-R, as in a high-revving NA powerplant. Nevermind then.... a turbo powerplant is even better
Old 12-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by krio
Autocar

Honda is set to provide its CR-Z with an all-new, turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine option as part of plans to broaden the compact coupé’s appeal in key world markets, including the UK.

Currently available with just the one engine option — a hybrid that mates a 112bhp 1.5-litre petrol engine with a 14bhp electric motor — the CR-Z is earmarked to receive an all-new turbocharged 1.6-litre powerplant that is currently undergoing development at Honda’s Tochigi R&D centre.

The new engine, which is also planned for the Jazz, Civic and Accord, forms an integral part of a downsizing program instigated at Honda. With forced induction and Honda’s patented VTEC-i fully variable camshaft timing system, it is aimed at providing the performance of a typical 2.0-litre engine from a capacity of just 1.6 litres.

Autocar sources in Japan say the new engine is likely to come in two guises: a standard 160bhp model and a highly tuned 200bhp version aimed at matching the now defunct 2.0-litre VTEC engine in the Civic Type R. This more potent spec is likely to form the basis of a CR-Z Type R, tentatively due out late next year.

Plans for more than a hybrid engine for the Japanese Car of the Year come as sales of the two-door coupé have started to sag in the firm’s all-important home market.

Honda first hinted that it was planning to add another petrol engine when it unveiled the CR-Z Hybrid R concept at the recent SEMA tuning show in Las Vegas. Unlike the proposed production version, though, that car ran a turbocharged version of the CR-Z’s existing 1.5-litre engine rather than the new 1.6.
Definitely interesting!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Count me in for the ill buy it if it comes with a normal engine crew
Old 12-06-2010, 07:37 PM

30 years ago, a carbureted engine was a "normal engine"

I'm thinking 20 years from now a purely fuel injection powerplant in a car will seem antiquated.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I think that IMA to pump up the bottom and and a turbo for the top and would be an interesting combination.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Race Director

Received 629 Likes on 506 Posts
The new engine, which is also planned for the Jazz, Civic and Accord, forms an integral part of a downsizing program instigated at Honda. With forced induction and Honda’s patented VTEC-i fully variable camshaft timing system, it is aimed at providing the performance of a typical 2.0-litre engine from a capacity of just 1.6 litres.

Autocar sources in Japan say the new engine is likely to come in two guises: a standard 160bhp model and a highly tuned 200bhp version aimed at matching the now defunct 2.0-litre VTEC engine in the Civic Type R. This more potent spec is likely to form the basis of a CR-Z Type R, tentatively due out late next year.
Doesn't that seem like a lot of power for cars like the Fit, Civic and CR-Z, especially in light of upcoming EPA mileage rules? I can see it for the Accord/TSX.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:50 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I think a motor can spin fast, but it makes the most torque at low rev.

The CR-Z has a redline of only 6300rpm because it uses the L15 engine from the Fit.

I was thinking, if they use a k20 instead with a 8000rpm+ redline, mated to the IMA, it would be pretty decent. IMA to boost low end torque, while K20 will take care of the high rpm region.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:54 AM

I'm not too familiar with EPA rules, current or upcoming but I'm sure that continuous cam phasing will improve the ratings. Seems like they're downsizing the engines though, which ultimately may make the difference. Spiritual successor to the B16A?

As speculated, a turbo hybrid would be interesting. Also not too familiar with it but VW's Twincharger system supposedly allows for better gas mileage, by using a supercharger to bolster a turbo, as well as making the engines tiny - I think they put it on 1.4L gas engines.

Still not sold on the overall package, but if the improve on the performance increase is big enough, the MPGs at least stay the same and the price is still competitive, in my eyes it would hold more appeal.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by iforyou
I think a motor can spin fast, but it makes the most torque at low rev.

The CR-Z has a redline of only 6300rpm because it uses the L15 engine from the Fit.

I was thinking, if they use a k20 instead with a 8000rpm+ redline, mated to the IMA, it would be pretty decent. IMA to boost low end torque, while K20 will take care of the high rpm region.
I'm all for putting the K20 in the CR-Z, as are many others I'm sure. The problem there is it will probably start stepping on the toes of the Civic Si. Especially coupled with IMA it may bring improved low end torque which may steal some sales

Interesting.... the CR-Z has the same engine as the Fit. If only the CR-Z's weight was closer to the Fit's, I'm sure it would wring out more impressive performance both on the drag strip and in the EPA test routes.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo CR-Z???

They made a K23 fun in an RDX so I would love to try this out
Old 12-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Why does the title say "planned" and not "rumored"? IMO this is a huge rumor and will only add fuel to the "Honda changes plans again" fire if it doesn't pan out.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:14 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Blame Yumchah.

And who in NA uses 'Petrol' anyway. Edited.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
And who in NA uses 'Petrol' anyway. Edited.
LOL
Old 12-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Ill believe it when i see it.... Though i hope its true for honda sake. They need something sporty and quick.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Ill believe it when i see it.... Though i hope its true for honda sake. They need something sporty and quick.
to the moms who came to drop bombs.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:52 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I'm all for putting the K20 in the CR-Z, as are many others I'm sure. The problem there is it will probably start stepping on the toes of the Civic Si. Especially coupled with IMA it may bring improved low end torque which may steal some sales

Interesting.... the CR-Z has the same engine as the Fit. If only the CR-Z's weight was closer to the Fit's, I'm sure it would wring out more impressive performance both on the drag strip and in the EPA test routes.
The CR-Z is one stiff car; I believe it's even stiffer than the FD2 Type R. Because of that, it's heavier than expected. Nonetheless, I don't think it's really that much heavier than the Fit. The Fit is around 2500-2600lb, while the CR-Z is 2600-2700lb.

The extra stiffness would sure come in handy if they do make a Si version of the CR-Z!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
VW Jetta TDI tops Consumer Reports eco roundup, Honda CR-Z scores too low to recommend

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/07/v...ndup-honda-cr/

CONSUMER REPORTS:NEW FORD FIESTA AND MAZDA2 SAVE ON TRIPS TO THE PUMP IN TESTS OF FUEL-EFFICIENT CARS

Honda CR-Z rated too low for Consumer Reports to Recommend

Fuel Doctor FD-47 fuel saving device rated "Don't Buy: Performance Problem"

YONKERS, NY - The new Ford Fiesta and Mazda2 subcompacts posted "Very Good" ratings in Consumer Reports' ratings, are both fun to drive and deliver impressive fuel economy. The vehicles are part of a test in the January issue that featured four different types of fuel-efficient cars.

The new two-seat Honda CR-Z hybrid hatchback scored too low for CR to Recommend it. Despite getting 35 mpg overall and having a crisp manual transmission, its ride was stiff, visibility is lacking, and it isn't very sporty to drive. It was the lowest ranked of the four fuel-efficient cars that CR tested this month.

The Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI posted an "Excellent" score, delivering impressive, comfort, convenience and room.

The issue also features a claim check on the Fuel doctor FD-47 device whose packaging says it increases power and improves mpg. CR's engineers put it through extensive testing on a number of vehicles and found that it made no significant difference in any evaluation and rated the product a
"Don't Buy: Performance Problem."

"The Fiesta and Mazda2 are both fun to drive and provide excellent fuel economy, but there are trade-offs, like sluggish acceleration in the Fiesta and choppiness in the Mazda2's ride," said Rik Paul, Automotive Editor, Consumer Reports. "The CR-Z tries to sporty hybrid and it's not outstanding in either category. It's not fun to drive and the fuel economy is not what you'd expect from a hybrid."

Full tests and ratings for all the vehicles appear in the January issue of Consumer Reports, which goes on sale December 7. The reports are also available to subscribers of www.ConsumerReports.org.Updated daily,ConsumerReports.org is the go-to site for the latest auto reviews, product news, blogs on breaking news and car buying information.

Prices ranged from $14,770 for the Mazda2 Sport with manual transmission to $27,204 for the Vokswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI.

Vehicles were selected for this grouping because The CR-Z, Fiesta, and Mazda2 are all recent introductions. CR previously tested a Jetta TDI diesel sedan with a manual transmission and had not tested the diesel engine in a Jetta SportWagen with a manual transmission.

While the Jetta is Recommended, the Ford Fiesta and Mazda2 are too new for CR to have reliability data and the CR-Z scored too low in CR's road tests to be Recommended. CR only Recommends vehicles that have performed well in its tests, have at least average predicted reliability based on CR's Annual Auto Survey of its more than seven million print and Web subscribers, and performed at least adequately if crash-tested or included in a government rollover test.

The Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen is a premium compact wagon whose ride has an underlying firmness, especially at low speeds, but is supple and well controlled. The Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI ($27,204 MSRP as tested), is powered by a 140-hp 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbodiesel engine that that delivers leisurely acceleration and gets 36 mpg overall and a superb 49 mpg on the highway in CR's own fuel economy tests. The six-speed manual transmission shifts smoothly. Braking is Very Good. The interior is well-finished. Folding the 60/40-split rear seatbacks creates a spacious cargo area, which has a spacious cargo area.

Ford's subcompact Fiesta is enjoyable to drive. Its agile handling, relatively quiet cabin and composed ride are high points. The Ford Fiesta SE sedan ($16,595 MSRP as tested), is powered by a 120-hp, 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine that delivers adequate acceleration and gets 33 mpg overall. The six-speed automatic transmission shifts responsively. Braking is Good. The interior is well-finished. The trunk will hold three large upright suitcases and one large duffel bag.

The Mazda2 is fun to drive, with excellent fuel economy, responsive steering and a usable rear seat despite the car's modest dimensions. The Mazda2 Touring $17,075 MSRP as tested), is powered by a 100-hp 1.5-liter 4-cylinder engine that accelerates modestly and gets a very good 30mpg with the automatic transmission. The four-speed automatic transmission shifts smoothly. Braking is Good. The interior is well-finished. The cargo area can hold one large upright suitcase and two duffel bags with the rear seats in place.

The Honda CR-Z is a sporty-looking, two-seat hybrid that handles nimbly but it not very sporty otherwise. The ride is choppy, noise levels are high, and on-limit handling can be tricky. The Honda CR-Z EX ($21,510 MSRP as tested) is powered by a 122-hp, 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine with hybrid assist that is mild and gets 35 mpg overall. The six-speed manual transmission shifts effortlessly. Braking is Very Good. The interior materials look nice and most panels fit together nicely. A divider between the cabin and trunk folds down to reveal a large cargo area, but the 400-pound payload capacity is restrictive.

With more than 7 million print and online subscribers, Consumer Reports is one of the most trusted sources for information and advice on consumer products and services. It conducts the most comprehensive auto-test program of any U.S. publication or Web site and owns and operates a 327-acre Auto Test Center in Connecticut. The organization's auto experts have decades of experience in driving, testing, and reporting on cars. To subscribe, consumers can call 1-800-234-1645 or visit www.ConsumerReports.org.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:04 PM

^that Jetta TDI Sportwagen is a lot different from the CR-Z - likely quite a bit heavier, not to mention it's a wagon vs. a hatchback, and much more expensive. Still, with the assumed heavier mass I'm somewhat surprised it's getting that much fuel economy.

Bah. As much as I want to like the CR-Z, whenever I see the CR-Z winning in MPG tests, it's only slightly edging out the competition. However, on the other side of the fence you constantly see TDI-powered VWs getting mid-40s or better on the freeway despite the heavy diesel engine making almost every TDI-equipped car around ~3000+ lbs.

Originally Posted by iforyou
The CR-Z is one stiff car; I believe it's even stiffer than the FD2 Type R. Because of that, it's heavier than expected. Nonetheless, I don't think it's really that much heavier than the Fit. The Fit is around 2500-2600lb, while the CR-Z is 2600-2700lb.

The extra stiffness would sure come in handy if they do make a Si version of the CR-Z!
Keeping that in mind I really do hope they make an Si version of the CR-Z. The stiffness would definitely help and despite the weight several reviews have mention its tossability. Honda needs to take advantage of the CR-Z's strengths instead of trying to spread it thin as a jack of all trades, master of none type of car.... though I guess you could say in the high teens-low 20's price bracket, there isn't truly a "must-have" car that absolutely excels at everything. I'm likely being too harsh on the CR-Z and holding too high expectations for Honda; still, I can't help but feel if Honda focused more on the sport or more on the hybrid instead of trying to balance the two that they could make it more of an attractive package, looks notwithstanding.

That said, I think focusing more on the sport is more important. They already have a dedicated hybrid in the Insight, which IIRC isn't too bad sales-wise as a model, but is weak compared to the Prius. All of us here and waiting for Honda to inject some more excitement into their lineup.... a CR-Z Si would be a nice addition to a prospective car buyer's list, I think.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
why they are comparing 6MT with Autotransmission cars. and Fit beat Ford Fiesta in C&D test. There is not reason to believe CRZ slower or less efficient when CRZ has CVT.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:25 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

^that Jetta TDI Sportwagen is a lot different from the CR-Z - likely quite a bit heavier, not to mention it's a wagon vs. a hatchback, and much more expensive. Still, with the assumed heavier mass I'm somewhat surprised it's getting that much fuel economy.

Bah. As much as I want to like the CR-Z, whenever I see the CR-Z winning in MPG tests, it's only slightly edging out the competition. However, on the other side of the fence you constantly see TDI-powered VWs getting mid-40s or better on the freeway despite the heavy diesel engine making almost every TDI-equipped car around ~3000+ lbs.

Keeping that in mind I really do hope they make an Si version of the CR-Z. The stiffness would definitely help and despite the weight several reviews have mention its tossability. Honda needs to take advantage of the CR-Z's strengths instead of trying to spread it thin as a jack of all trades, master of none type of car.... though I guess you could say in the high teens-low 20's price bracket, there isn't truly a "must-have" car that absolutely excels at everything. I'm likely being too harsh on the CR-Z and holding too high expectations for Honda; still, I can't help but feel if Honda focused more on the sport or more on the hybrid instead of trying to balance the two that they could make it more of an attractive package, looks notwithstanding.

That said, I think focusing more on the sport is more important. They already have a dedicated hybrid in the Insight, which IIRC isn't too bad sales-wise as a model, but is weak compared to the Prius. All of us here and waiting for Honda to inject some more excitement into their lineup.... a CR-Z Si would be a nice addition to a prospective car buyer's list, I think.
The energy density of diesel fuel is 40.9MJ/L while petrol's figure is 34.8MJ/L. That's 18% of difference. Another difference is the compression ratio (20:1 to like 10:1). In general, higher compression ratio = more efficient. Based on the above two reasons alone, I don't think it will be too much of a surprise to you that diesel often gets great mpg.

I agree, don't waste what they have. The CR-Z has great potential. There's definitely room for a 2-door hot hatch in the Honda line-up. IMO, if they really want to build a true sporty hybrid car, they need a Si verison at the very minimum.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
@ petrol in the thread title.

AZ has gone Euro.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow Yet Another Rumor

The Honda CR-Z so far is getting mixed reviews from many publications. While the Consumer Reports says it can’t even recommend the hybrid hatchback after giving it low ratings, Top Gear Magazine named the car it’s 2011 Green Car of the Year. Whatever the case may be, Honda has some big plans for the CR-Z in the future.

Following reports of a 4-cylinder turbo gasoline model, we hear today that Honda is working on a drop-top CR-Z. Apparently, the Honda CR-Z hatchback and the convertible CR-Z were developed side-by-side. Of course, being a convertible would mean that the drop-top CR-Z will be a heavier car. With that in mind, sources say engineers are considering a beefier 200-hp gasoline-electric combination seen in the Hybrid R Concept.

The model will end up being the world’s 1st convertible hybrid and will take some inspiration from the Honda Open Study Concept.

When can we expect to see a drop-top CR-Z? We’d say sometime after 2012.

Refresher: The 2011 Honda CR-Z is powered by a 1.5L i-VTEC mated to Honda”s Integrated Motor Assist hybrid system. It produces a total of 122-hp and a maximum torque of 128 lb-ft. When mated to a 6-speed manual, the CR-Z returns an EPA-estimated 31/37/34 mpg (city/highway/combined). With the CVT transmission, the CR-Z returns 35/39/37 mpg. Prices in the United States start at $19,200.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:22 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
CR-Z can be a great car if Honda allows it....
Old 12-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Well, thought we'd have an Euro flavor to our thread, okay!??
Old 12-10-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
CR-Z can be a great car if Honda allows it....
Old 12-10-2010, 05:26 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Call me when there is a turbo 4 on board.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:03 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I was watching Best Motoring October 2010 and they did a comparison test between 10 different hatchbacks.

Renault Clio 2.0 16V RS - 201hp
Mini Cooper S - 181hp
Honda CR-Z Access Modulo - 123hp
Honda Civic Type R Euro - 201hp
Abarth 500 - 160hp
VW Golf GTI - 200hp
Mazdaspeeed 3 - 260hp
Renault Twingo RS - 130hp
Mitsubishi Colt RalliArt - 152hp
VW Polo 1.2 TSI - 105hp

They did time attack on Tsukuba, fuel economy test (road trip for around 400-500miles), winding road test, ride comfort, steering feel, fun to drive, etc. I can't remember the exact final score for each car, but 1st place was the Renault Clio 2.0 16V RS, it's also the fastest on Tsukuba. 2nd place and 3rd place go to the CR-Z and Civic Type R. The Polo comes in last place. The polo is also the slowest on Tsukuba (1:17). The CR-Z isn't much better though in terms of ranking, but nonetheless its laptime is significantly faster than the Polo (1:14) and it ties with the Renault Twingo RS. Obviously the CR-Z domininated the fuel economy at 18.6km/L or 43mpg (despite the fact that most of the trip involves highway/freeway driving which should put the CR-Z in a bad position). The much slower Polo with much less power despite using a 1.2L engine got 16.1km/L or almost 38mpg.

Once again the Tsukuba test shows how poor the Euro Civic Type R is compared to the JDM Civic Type R. The Euro version got 1:12 as the fastest lap while the Japanese version got 1:07. For comparison, Golf GTI, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini Cooper S, and Renault Clio RS got 1:11. Abarth 500 surprisingly only managed a 1:13 despite having similar power/weight ratio as the Cooper S.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
AWD, 6 peed tranny and turbo 4 would be heaven.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by rondog
AWD, 6 peed tranny and 300hp turbo 4 would be heaven.
Fixed....

Quick Reply: Honda: CR-Z News **Facelift Revealed (page 31)**