Honda: CR-Z News **Facelift Revealed (page 31)**

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
The car should have been designed from the onset to accommodate back seats in North America. I don't think a CR-Z with back seats = an Insight. This was simply a case of Honda either not doing their homework or being too lazy or cheap to add a back seat. Either way I think its cost them some sales and will continue to do so.
I agree that a LWB CR-Z is an Insight. I say put the CR-Z drivetrain (6MT) in the Insight, I still can't believe they're only using this 6MT in one car (unless it's the same unit in Civic/TSX?).

The CRX didn't have a back seat and I don't recall people complaining about that. Anyway, it's a niche vehicle that (not counting the Tsunami disruption) seems to be selling in line with expectations. Considering the exchange rates these days, they probably don't care to sell 40K in NA even if they could (unless they thought they could squeeze in a price increase). Hopefully, an Si version will come along to keep the line fresh (also remember that the Si didn't debut with the CRX launch either) to help sustain sales as it progresses through it's lifecycle.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:14 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I agree that a LWB CR-Z is an Insight. I say put the CR-Z drivetrain (6MT) in the Insight, I still can't believe they're only using this 6MT in one car (unless it's the same unit in Civic/TSX?).
LWB?

The CRX didn't have a back seat and I don't recall people complaining about that.
That was years ago. How many 2 seaters (besides all out sports cars or convertibles) have been released in NA since the CRX? Not many, and there's a very good reason for that.

Anyway, it's a niche vehicle that (not counting the Tsunami disruption) seems to be selling in line with expectations. Considering the exchange rates these days, they probably don't care to sell 40K in NA even if they could (unless they thought they could squeeze in a price increase).
Sorry Colin, I've never and still don't buy the whole "Honda probably doesn't want to sell too many" argument. A sale is a sale. Getting your cars on the street is a good thing. Exchange or not, I can't ever imagine a scenario where a maker didn't want to sell a car and I can't imagine Honda is all that thrilled about the CR-Z's reception or sales in NA.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:20 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 841 Likes on 524 Posts
LWB = Long Wheelbase
Old 12-30-2011, 01:25 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Thanks. So you guys are saying that a CR-Z with a back seat would be as fun to drive as an Insight? An Insight has 4 doors and is as fun to drive as a wheelbarrow loaded with bricks. At least that's what it felt like in my test drive.

Am I missing the connection here?

EDIT: Never drive a CR-Z so I can't compare the two.

Last edited by dom; 12-30-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
That was years ago. How many 2 seaters (besides all out sports cars or convertibles) have been released in NA since the CRX? Not many, and there's a very good reason for that.

Sorry Colin, I've never and still don't buy the whole "Honda probably doesn't want to sell too many" argument. A sale is a sale. Getting your cars on the street is a good thing. Exchange or not, I can't ever imagine a scenario where a maker didn't want to sell a car and I can't imagine Honda is all that thrilled about the CR-Z's reception or sales in NA.
I just feel that any back seat that is too small to actually use (Fiat 500 etc,) is so useless, you might as well leave it out. As for the other argument, what if you were actually losing money on the car? What if you decided that it was important to be in the segment, and 'some' loss was acceptable? What if you calculated the amount you'd lose at 75 Yen/dollar, how much you lose at 80 yen, or at 70 yen. Then you align production to meet those criteria? Anyway, I'm not saying this is what's going on, but things along this train of thought has been discussed with me by factory types.

BTW, I can't believe you've never driven a CR-Z?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:46 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I just feel that any back seat that is too small to actually use (Fiat 500 etc,) is so useless, you might as well leave it out.
Agreed. Which is why I earlier said.

The car should have been designed from the onset to accommodate back seats in North America.

As for the other argument, what if you were actually losing money on the car? What if you decided that it was important to be in the segment, and 'some' loss was acceptable? What if you calculated the amount you'd lose at 75 Yen/dollar, how much you lose at 80 yen, or at 70 yen. Then you align production to meet those criteria? Anyway, I'm not saying this is what's going on, but things along this train of thought has been discussed with me by factory types.
If that's the case. then it was a poor business plan to begin with. In reality, my guess is that they're making some money of each car sold in NA. The more they sell, the more money they make and the more people they have talking about a Honda and a Honda hybrid. I just don't see how selling more of these can be bad for Honda. Even if they're breaking even, which again, is unlikely IMO.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
If that's the case. then it was a poor business plan to begin with. In reality, my guess is that they're making some money of each car sold in NA. The more they sell, the more money they make and the more people they have talking about a Honda and a Honda hybrid. I just don't see how selling more of these can be bad for Honda. Even if they're breaking even, which again, is unlikely IMO.
Well, with all plans you try your best to anticipate the market, but can you tell me what the Yen will be in 2015 please?

The car should have been designed from the onset to accommodate back seats in North America.
But then you have an Insight, and people would complain that the cars are too close in size and Honda's all screwed up...
Old 12-30-2011, 02:16 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Well, with all plans you try your best to anticipate the market, but can you tell me what the Yen will be in 2015 please?
Lemme gas up my time machine.

But then you have an Insight, and people would complain that the cars are too close in size and Honda's all screwed up...
Honda has a Civic coupe and sedan, Accord coupe and sedan. Insight and Insight coupe (CR-Z). What's done is done. Can't fix it now so lets just hope for an Si version to spice it up.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
Can't fix it now so lets just hope for an Si version to spice it up.
I think that's all but confirmed, they only have to bring it out to properly disappoint everyone. Seriously though, you should check out a MT version (if you can find one). When viewed for what it is, a commuter car, it's pretty well executed. I couldn't see ourselves in an Echo, Fit, Aveo or any of the 'true' commuters and compared to the other 'high end' small cars like the Mini, 500 it's ... well it's a Honda. My biggest criticism is the rear suspension tuning. It's seems to be a little soft with too little rebound dampening. But on the plus side, I guess it help a SWB car from feeling too 'choppy' riding.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:32 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I think that's all but confirmed, they only have to bring it out to properly disappoint everyone. Seriously though, you should check out a MT version (if you can find one). When viewed for what it is, a commuter car, it's pretty well executed. I couldn't see ourselves in an Echo, Fit, Aveo or any of the 'true' commuters and compared to the other 'high end' small cars like the Mini, 500 it's ... well it's a Honda. My biggest criticism is the rear suspension tuning. It's seems to be a little soft with too little rebound dampening. But on the plus side, I guess it help a SWB car from feeling too 'choppy' riding.
My local dealer has 1 in stock
Milano Red with a MT

http://www.boltonhonda.ca/new-invent...&SBprice=clear

With 2 kids, I could never buy a seater so I won't waste a salesman time. I like car salesman too much to do that.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
With 2 kids...
Funny. My first 2 seater was in '88 MR-2 SC, followed by '93 MR-2 Turbo, '00 S2000, '04 S2000. That was almost 20 years of only 2 seats, only broken by the '07 TSX and now the RSX.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:04 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Must be nice. I can't see myself in a 2 seater until the nest is empty.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:07 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Teaser... MUGEN RR Power in CR-Z

Old 08-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Jackson Racing releases new supercharger

From Autoblog:
Jackson Racing, the guys who have been modifying and racing Hondas (and Acuras) for more than thirty years, have announced the arrival of a new supercharger system for the Honda CR-Z equipped with a six-speed manual transmission. The bolt-on blower may effectively address the primary complaint lodged against the frugal two-seater, its lack of sporty grunt.

According to the California-based tuner, the supercharger (providing eight psi of boost) effectively boosts output of the 1.5-liter gasoline-fed four-cylinder from 113 horsepower and 106 pound-feet of torque to 163 horsepower and 151 pound-feet of torque. Coupled with the brushless DC electric assist motor (Jackson Racing says the Honda IMA hybrid system works seamlessly with the supercharger) the combined power rating jumps to 172 horsepower and 168 pound-feet of torque. The stock CR-Z is classified as an Advanced Technology-Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (AT-PZEV). To retain the rating, Jackson Racing has reportedly spent the past eight months refining emissions to obtain the necessary exemptions from the California Air Resources Board (CARB) – certification is pending.

As of now, the supercharger system has only been engineered for the manual gearbox (a clutch upgrade is recommended for those who drive aggressively), but the tuner is evaluating the demand for the automatic transmission. There are three different kits, all providing the same horsepower, with the most basic system starting at $3,995.

It's about time someone released this to the public.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:48 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Press Release

Jackson Racing releases their new supercharger system for US MT Honda CR-Z

AUGUST 1st, 2012 - Yorba Linda, California - World leading Honda Supercharger experts Jackson Racing are proud to announce their next generation supercharger system for the Honda CR-Z is now available from $3995USD. The power and torque delivery of the Jackson Racing CR-Z is perfectly balanced with the Honda IMA hybrid system to provide a smooth, strong and sporty power delivery that will make you fall in love with your Honda again. The supercharger kit delivers an additional 50 horsepower and 45 ft-lbs of torque, an impressive 40% increase HP and 38% increase in torque. All while maintaining the excellent fuel economy expected from the CR-Z Hybrid.

The Jackson Racing CR-Z supercharger system has been through extensive durability testing to ensure factory drivability is retained, while giving a substantial boost in performance. This testing includes track time by seasoned drivers, taking the car and supercharger system to the limit. The Jackson Racing CR-Z attended Super Lap Battle 2011, and on its first try broke the previous Hybrid record by almost 6 seconds.

"We realize that performance tuning for the next generation of Hondas requires maintaining excellent fuel economy and adapting to new technologies," said Oscar Jackson Sr., President and Chief Engineer of Jackson Racing. "The Jackson Racing CR-Z supercharger system embodies the best of our 30+ years of experience in building quality performance upgrades for Honda and Acura automobiles."

Key Points:

• An additional 50 hp and 45 ft-lbs torque
• Maintains excellent fuel economy when driven normally
• Restores the performance "Honda" engine feel
• Works in harmony with Honda's IMA hybrid system

System Includes:

• Rotrex C30-74 Supercharger
• Jackson Racing Precision CNC-machined Components
• Jackson Racing Belt Drive and Tensioning System
• Jackson Racing Intercooler System w/ Aluminum Piping
• High Quality Metric Fasteners and Hardware
• Color Installation Manual
• Industry Leading Customer Service and Support

Pricing and Availability

Tune Yourself (TY) Kit $3995

- 8 PSI Jackson Racing CR-Z Supercharger System
- Engine Management Not Included

Factory Tuned System $4495

- Hondata ECU Reflash
- High Flow Fuel Injectors

FlashPro Tuner System $4995

- Hondata FlashPro
- Jackson Racing CR-Z FlashPro Calibration
- High Flow Fuel Injectors

The TY kit is ideal if you already have engine management and want to do your own tuning.

The Factory Tuned system is our plug-n-play system. This system provides the same power and drivability as the Tuner kit without the added expense of the FlashPro tuning solution or hassle of flashing the ECU yourself. Install and enjoy.

The FlashPro Tuner system includes the Hondata FlashPro and the Jackson Racing CR-Z calibration. This system is ideal if you are looking for the data-rich features of FlashPro, and to learn more about your CR-Z.

More product details for the Jackson Racing CR-Z Supercharger System are available online at:
http://jacksonracing.com/shop/superc...harger-system/

FAQ

Q: Will I need a clutch upgrade?
A: The Jackson Racing CR-Z has done over 20,000 miles including several track days all using the stock clutch. If you have an aggressive style of driving we would recommend a clutch upgrade.

Q: Why is the kit not offered for the CR-Z CVT?
A: Jackson Racing's immediate focus is on the manual transmission CR-Z but will evaluate the demand for a CVT supercharger kit.

Q: Will you offer a kit for Japanese and European owners?
A: The Tuner kit will be available for international customers in the future. Visit http://www.hondata.com/flashpro_cr-z.html to view the supported ECUs.

Q: Will my CR-Z pass emissions?
A: The CR-Z is an Advanced Technology-Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (AT-PZEV), which is the cleanest gasoline engine standard. With 8 months of solid emissions lab testing, we have worked really hard to bring an emissions certified product to the CR-Z. We are happy to report, we have completed and passed all emissions lab testing and are currently awaiting exemption from California Air Resources Board.

Q: Will I be able to adjust and custom tune the Jackson Racing FlashPro calibration?
A: The calibration provided by Jackson Racing with the FlashPro cannot be modified.

Q: Will performance upgrades be available for the Jackson Racing systems?
A: Yes, performance upgrades are currently being tested and will be available.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:51 PM
_

Even with a supercharger, it's still Then again, nothing a set of wheels and body kit can't fix.

Should have kept it like the concept though.

Last edited by AZuser; 08-03-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
Even with a supercharger, it's still Then again, nothing a set of wheels and body kit can't fix.

Should have kept it like the concept though.

.......that front overhang.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
It's not even close to that bad.

I own one.

Here's a photo from Road and Track.

Keep in mind that the bumper only juts out at the very center of the vehicle, towards the wheel wells there is very little ahead of them.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:03 AM
_

^ Supercharge it. You know you want to.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb Mmc

Honda has dropped another teaser image for the upcoming 2013 CR-Z, a model set to debut at the fast-approaching Paris Motor Show.

While there are few real details to go with the shadowy hybrid image, Honda says its updated CR-Z will receive power bumps for both its gasoline engine and its electric motor. Said output enhancements will not compromise fuel economy or emissions performance, either.

This dead-on front image of the car makes plain a few of the styling changes, too. The new CR-Z is running a strip of LED lighting under its HID headlights. The new front grille is filled with a honeycomb insert, losing the horizontal upper slats of the current car. The lower front fascia has been altered, as well.

Stay tuned for loads more information about the 2013 Honda CR-Z as we move closer to the September 27 opening day of the Paris show.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Unless they plan on announcing an Si version with a back seat for NA....not much to see here, move along. They may move from selling 300 to 350 a month with those changes mentioned.

Meanwhile... Hyundai keeps moving 3-4K Velosters a month.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Old 09-20-2012, 03:29 PM
_

Face-lifted CR-Z at Indonesia International Motor Show.

Last edited by AZuser; 09-20-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Not much of a change. Curious what the S+ button does.

I'm supercharging my wife's CR-Z
Old 09-20-2012, 10:22 PM
_

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Curious what the S+ button does.
For more swag
Old 09-28-2012, 05:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow S+

What you see here is the revised and somewhat facelifted Honda CR-Z Hybrid hatchback. Making its debut at the 2012 Paris Motor Show today, the new 2013 Honda CR-Z gets a range of upgrades with a focus on style and performance.

Look closely and you’ll see some minor changes to the exterior and the interior. The front bumper, grille, headlamp have all been revised along with the addition of 17-inch alloy wheels and 2 new exterior colors including Energetic Yellow and Aurora Violet. The interior was updated with new color schemes and door casings that improve on storage.

Honda says that the 1.5 liter engine in the CR-Z has been improved to produce more power – up from 112-hp to 119-hp. Along with the improvement to the electric-motor, total output of the 2013 CR-Z now comes in at 135-hp. 0 to 62 mph takes 9.0 seconds (from 9.7) with a top speed of 124 mph. Fuel-economy was not compromised.

Honda has also introduced something called Plus Sport (S+).

“If the battery is more than 50 per cent charged, the driver can activate this system using the S+ button on the steering wheel,” Honda said in a statement. “When the accelerator is pressed the electric boost begins, delivering increased acceleration for up to 10 seconds. A flashing gauge on the dashboard indicates when the system is active. S+ can be used in ECON, Normal or Sport modes.”

Sales start Jan. 2013.
The following users liked this post:
Ken1997TL (10-05-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Still lame. They should have offered a non hybrid sport version
Old 10-05-2012, 01:43 PM
_

Honda CR-Z Mugen RZ Edition

On September 27th MUGEN (M-TEC Co., Ltd.) (Hereinafter called MUGEN) announced to release the complete car "Honda CR-Z MUGEN RZ", which is based on the Honda CR-Z. Exclusively developed suspension, brake system, and wheels, exterior parts designed considering aerodynamics, and the centrifugal supercharger as well are installed to improve performance.

MUGEN will install the parts on their own on the CR-Z (6MT) provided by Honda Motor Co., Ltd. and start to sell 300 complete cars from November 26th. Limited sales in Japan.

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS

POWER UNIT
1.5L i-VTEC ENGINE + SUPER CHARGER 115kw (156ps) / 6,600rpm
185N.m(18.9kgf.m) / 5,200rpm

IMA SYSTEM 15kw (20ps) / 2,000rpm
78N.m (8.0kgf.m / 1,000rpm)

CAT-BACK EXHAUST
TITANIUM DUAL FINISHERS

SUSPENSION
5 ADJ. SUSPENSION
17inch FORGED ALLOY WHEEL 17 x 7J
17inch HIGH PERFORMANCE TIRE 205/45R17, DUNLOP DIREZZA ZⅡ

BRAKE SYSTEM
ACTIVE GATE BIG SIZE BRAKE ROTORS for FRONT, ø300mm. t=25mm
REINFORCED BRAKE CALIPERS for FRONT
REINFORCED BRAKE PADS for FRONT
MICRO MESH BRAKE LINES for FRONT

EXTERIOR
FRONT GRILLE
ADJUSTABLE FRONT UNDER SPOILER with LED ILLUMINATIONS
SIDE SPOILERS
REAR UNDER SPOILER & DIFFUSER with LED FOG LAMP
ADJUSTABLE REAR WING CFRP
SPECIAL BODY COLOR AZURE BLUE METALLIC

INTERIOR
SPECIALLY COLORED FRONT SEAT BLUE & BLACK
SPECIALLY COLORED STEERING WHEEL BLUE STITCH
CFRP SHIFT KNOB
BOOST METER
SERIAL NO. PLATE

PRICE
JPY 4,494,000 Including 5% consumption tax
Old 10-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Still lame. They should have offered a non hybrid sport version
Yep, fortunately Jackson Racing made a sweet supercharger
Old 10-05-2012, 04:23 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Sadly this thing might be dead sooner than later.

Simple fix, Honda: Put a back seat in the car, & offer a non-hybrid version, and a boosted non-hybrid version.

You will then see the sales you were hoping for.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Sadly this thing might be dead sooner than later.

Simple fix, Honda: Put a back seat in the car, & offer a non-hybrid version, and a boosted non-hybrid version.

You will then see the sales you were hoping for.
And build it in the US. Honda doesn't make any money on the cars themselves as is.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
I saw a lowered CRZ on Volks last night and was impressed; it looked very nice & distinctive compared to the insect-esque Veloster & breadvan Golf. All it needs is some more power.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:21 AM
_

Originally Posted by MTEAZY
All it needs is some more power.
And a re-design
Old 10-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AZuser
And a re-design
Whats wrong with it besides lack of power?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:23 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
it looks like a chinchilla
Old 10-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by phee
it looks like a chinchilla
The CR-Z gets more compliments than any other car I've owned. Even the S2000.

Most people seem to like it. The rear though could use some real improvement.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:47 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
It's subjective... I think the fact that the car is still new, uncommon and sorta unique looking lends to that too.

A lot of 4G TL members say they've gotten compliments on their car personally I didn't like the CR-Z at all at first, but it's grown on me a lot.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 135 Posts
We've had three of them at work just sitting on the lot for almost 4 months now. 1 Auto, 2 MT. Sales on them are absolutely terrible and honestly a complete waste due to the fact that there isnt a non Hybrid version. Would be cool to see a Si version of the vehicle to help boost sales.

I mean come on... the non hybrid gas engine civic gets better gas mileage than the CRZ which has more power, larger vehicle and no IMA system. Get with the program Honda.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Senior Moderator

On paper perhaps. CR-Z owners are seeing low 40's consistently. My wife's CR-Z 6MT got 42.3 mpg over an 950 mile trip last month, that includes stop-n-go traffic in downtown Seattle and rush hour there. Not to mention it out-handles a similar Civic coupe and is faster...
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,392 Likes on 4,937 Posts
I love the exterior and the interior, its the drivetrain that drives me insane. I really wish you could drive it off the lot with a K20 under the hood

Quick Reply: Honda: CR-Z News **Facelift Revealed (page 31)**