Honda: Civic News

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 11:41 AM

Received 5,562 Likes on 3,797 Posts
The Accord X is huge, but drives like it's a lot smaller.

Having had a 6G (97 EX 5MT Coupe) & 7G (04 LX 4AT Sedan) Civic, I'd be interested to try our the 11G Civic; though it wouldn't be near the top of my list for a Malibu replacement. Probably something taller & 4WD when it's time.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:22 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,193 Likes on 4,062 Posts
I saw my first one out in the wild and they fucking nailed it. It looks sooo good.

obv not as good as a Tesla though. Buy one while you can. The market share for the Civic will be 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000001% by the end of next year once the new Tesla factory gets off the ground.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
I saw my first one out in the wild and they fucking nailed it. It looks sooo good.

obv not as good as a Tesla though. Buy one while you can. The market share for the Civic will be 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000001% by the end of next year once the new Tesla factory gets off the ground.
Yah it is so good that people who can only afford to get Civic will line up for Model 3.. they will take out a 2nd mortgage for it... Tesla is that good
Old 07-23-2021, 01:52 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,463 Likes on 4,981 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Yah it is so good that people who can only afford to get Civic will line up for Model 3.. they will take out a 2nd mortgage for it... Tesla is that good
No way, they're just going to get that $25k Tesla that was coming a few years ago. It'll be here any day now.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:44 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
No way, they're just going to get that $25k Tesla that was coming a few years ago. It'll be here any day now.
Oh yah what happened to the 30k Model 3? the EV for everyone!

I just checked it starts at 40k now
Old 07-23-2021, 02:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,442 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I can't imagine why anyone would rather buy a Corolla over a Civic if they sit in both. Practiciality, interior quality, features, power, and looks inside and out (subjective) are all in the Civic's favor. Honda knocked it out of the park with this, and the amazing thing is that this isn't even a huge departure from the 10G when it comes to the mechanicals and platform. This is more of an evolution on top of the 10G than a big leap like 7G->8G or 9G->10G. Now to see if Acura can take this tremendous starting point and give us an ILX that's actually competitive. Anything less than class-leading is going to be a huge miss.

Last edited by fiatlux; 07-23-2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I can't imagine why anyone would rather buy a Corolla over a Civic if they sit in both. Practiciality, interior quality, features, power, and looks inside and out (subjective) are all in the Civic's favor. Honda knocked it out of the park with this, and the amazing thing is that this isn't even a huge departure from the 10G when it comes to the mechanicals and platform. This is more of an evolution on top of the 10G than a big leap like 7G->8G or 9G->10G. Now to see if Acura can take this tremendous starting point and give us an ILX that's actually competitive. Anything less than class-leading is going to be a huge miss.
Are you talking about ILX being class leading with what Civic can offer?

There is nothing in Honda's line up except putting CTR's engine in ILX can make ILX class leading in anything... the class with M230i and A35/45 and A3/S3/RS3
It can make it somehwat competitive with the lower trim, but class leading is a different story.
I mean Acura could put the 2.0T in the ILX with 270hp and give it SHAWD, that will make things very interesting... but knowing Acura, next ILX will get the same engine from Si with 1.5T 210hp, CVT.

As far as you can't imagine why would anyone buy Corolla over Civic... People who will buy Civic will buy Civic regardless how good Corolla may be and people who would buy Corolla will buy Corolla.. Similar story can be said about Camry and Accord. I dont know why would anyone buy Camry over Accord, yet plenty of people did and will continue to do so.

I could not imagine why would anyone buy TLX and some people still did.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 07-23-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:19 PM
Safety Car

Are you talking about ILX being class leading with what Civic can offer?

There is nothing in Honda's line up except putting CTR's engine in ILX can make ILX class leading in anything... the class with M230i and A35/45 and A3/S3/RS3
It can make it somehwat competitive with the lower trim, but class leading is a different story.
I mean Acura could put the 2.0T in the ILX with 270hp and give it SHAWD, that will make things very interesting... but knowing Acura, next ILX will get the same engine from Si with 1.5T 210hp, CVT.

As far as you can't imagine why would anyone buy Corolla over Civic... People who will buy Civic will buy Civic regardless how good Corolla may be and people who would buy Corolla will buy Corolla.. Similar story can be said about Camry and Accord. I dont know why would anyone buy Camry over Accord, yet plenty of people did and will continue to do so.

I could not imagine why would anyone buy TLX and some people still did.
I mean class leading vis a vis the appropriate models. A3, A220/CL250, 228i GC, etc.

As for the performance models, obviously Acura has nothing to compete with the RS3, A45 AMG, etc. but the CTR K20 + SHAWD could make it competitive against cars like the S3, M235i GC, A35, etc. The bar is fairly low for those cars (consider the the M235i is a gloried Mini Clubman JCW), and if Acura is serious I think an ILX could give them a run for their money. Especially if they don't ruin the excellent packaging of the Civic. The A3, A-Class, and 2GC are all diminutive and small on the inside, way smaller than the Civic. If the ILX can retain the same packaging as the Civic it'll win in the practicality category by a country mile.

Last edited by fiatlux; 07-23-2021 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:29 PM
Team Owner

I mean class leading vis a vis the appropriate models. A3, A220/CL250, 228i GC, etc.

As for the performance models, obviously Acura has nothing to compete with the RS3, A45 AMG, etc. but the CTR K20 + SHAWD could make it competitive against cars like the S3, M235i GC, A35, etc. The bar is fairly low for those cars (consider the the M235i is a gloried Mini Clubman JCW), and if Acura is serious I think an ILX could give them a run for their money.
\

Both You and I know that is not gonna happen. But who knows maybe Acura wakes up 1 day and say hey let's make a ILX Type S with CTR's engine.... like i said, that would make things very interesting....But there comes the cost. with added luxury features and SHAWD the ILX Type S would be 45k.. considering a FWD CTR is already $37k. and they pretty much killed CTR in the process by doing that to the ILX.

So it is more likely that ILX will continue to use whatever SI offers at $30k

Old 07-23-2021, 04:00 PM
Safety Car

\

Both You and I know that is not gonna happen. But who knows maybe Acura wakes up 1 day and say hey let's make a ILX Type S with CTR's engine.... like i said, that would make things very interesting....But there comes the cost. with added luxury features and SHAWD the ILX Type S would be 45k.. considering a FWD CTR is already $37k. and they pretty much killed CTR in the process by doing that to the ILX.

So it is more likely that ILX will continue to use whatever SI offers at $30k
The fact that the CTR already exists is what makes me bullish that we may see a Type S with that powertrain in it. This isn't like the TLX Type S where Acura needed to spend money developing a brand new engine and beef up the 10AT just to be able to come to market with something. The K20C1 already exists, the R&D cost to beef up the 10AT has already been incurred, and the fixed tooling costs to produce these components have already been paid for. With this type of head start, anythinng less from Acura would be a disappointment since all the pieces already exist.

BMW followed this recipe for the M235i GC, and Audi followed this receipe for the S3. I can't imagine why Acura can't do the same. The only reason I can think of why they won't do this is if they need to protect the TLX Type S. I don't think they would permit building an ILX Type S that outperforms the TLX Type S, and frankly if the ILX Type S is competitive with the M235i and S3, it'll be faster than the TLX Type S.

Last edited by fiatlux; 07-23-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:00 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,848 Likes on 4,288 Posts

Waiting for ssftsx to come in and extol the supremacy and untold wisdom of honda/acura.
The following 2 users liked this post by pttl:
civicdrivr (07-23-2021), Legend2TL (07-27-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 04:23 PM
Team Owner

The fact that the CTR already exists is what makes me bullish that we may see a Type S with that powertrain in it. This isn't like the TLX Type S where Acura needed to spend money developing a brand new engine and beef up the 10AT just to be able to come to market with something. The K20C1 already exists, the R&D cost to beef up the 10AT has already been incurred, and the fixed tooling costs to produce these components have already been paid for. With this type of head start, anythinng less from Acura would be a disappointment since all the pieces already exist.

BMW followed this recipe for the M235i GC, and Audi followed this receipe for the S3. I can't imagine why Acura can't do the same. The only reason I can think of why they won't do this is if they need to protect the TLX Type S. I don't think they would permit building an ILX Type S that outperforms the TLX Type S, and frankly if the ILX Type S is competitive with the M235i and S3, it'll be faster than the TLX Type S.
hold those thoughts, then wait and see.

Also the sales # of TLX Type-S and MDX Type S is also a big factor on rest of the lineup. If people are rushing to buy TLX-S and MDX-S, then maybe Acura will milk the Type S through the entire line up. If sale # on the Type S trim sucks, then i dont see why they would do that to another model.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 07-23-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pttl

Waiting for ssftsx to come in and extol the supremacy and untold wisdom of honda/acura.
If you haven't noticed, the "wisdom" he has been telling lately is getting a little out there even by his own standard.
I guess that is normal since he already used every exterior pieces, superior BHP, aero, ground clearance, AC vents and tires repeatedly.. he is running out of categories

The following users liked this post:
pttl (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Safety Car

hold those thoughts, then wait and see.

Also the sales # of TLX Type-S and MDX Type S is also a big factor on rest of the lineup. If people are rushing to buy TLX-S and MDX-S, then maybe Acura will milk the Type S through the entire line up. If sale # on the Type S trim sucks, then i dont see why they would do that to another model.
Notice that I said can't, not won't. I would not be surprised if they once again underdeliver and give us yet another mediocre offering that doesn't stand out from the competition. It would be even more egregious this time because they're being gifted a 5-run lead in the bottom of the ningth in the form of the 11G Civic. Hope springs eternal, I guess.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:03 PM
Ex-OEM King

I'm honestly just itching for a ssftsx vs stunna/comfy gang war. Should be pretty popcorn worthy.
The following 3 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
civicdrivr (07-23-2021), Legend2TL (07-27-2021), pttl (07-23-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 09:16 AM

Saw my first 11G on our way into Austin over the weekend. At a quick glance (they were turning & we passed doing 60mph), it looks great.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:32 AM

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...e-ecu-reflash/

For the last several years, any time Honda introduces a new vehicle that carries even an inkling of potential aftermarket interest—like, say, the new 11th-generation Civic—the engine computer gurus at Hondata waste no time in working their tuning magic. Long serving as a front-runner in Honda ECU development, the group has been hard at work with the 2022 Civic sedan, and it found some promising initial results from its ECU re-flash to share.

Like the 10th-generation Civic family, much of the new 11th-gen Civic bloodline will revolve around a turbocharged 1.5-liter engine, with the sedan model relying on a continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) while the
hatchback will be blessed with a manual transmission option. Of course, when the Si and Type R finally break ground, both will offer six-speed manuals, as well.For now, Hondata is developing a FlashPro for its 11th-gen Civic sedan test mule and has already found some hidden power with a tune that will most likely be available once the FlashPro is ready for consumer release.

If you're not entirely familiar with FlashPro, it's a small device with one end that plugs directly into the car's OBD-II port and the other connecting to a laptop running Hondata's software. It can be used to upload various off-the-shelf power-increasing tunes that Hondata includes and often adds to with free updates, much of which are tailored to support aftermarket intake, exhaust, and other bolt-on changes, or you can have a professional tuner come up with its own recipe. The user-friendly process of uploading a new throttle map takes but a few minutes and converting back to factory specs is just as fast—an important factor for California enthusiasts, especially with the new tuned ECU guidelines it recently added to its emissions-testing process.

Honda rates the new Civic sedan's boosted 1.5-liter I-4 at 180 hp and 177 lb-ft of torque, which is flywheel rated horsepower. Of course, that number comes down when transferred to the front wheels. For Hondata's tuning purposes, it uses a Dynapack measuring device which attaches to the vehicle's front hubs, and in factory form it measured 162 hp and 163 lb-ft of torque as the factory baseline using its evaluation method.

On premium fuel and after altering the factory ECU parameters that include fuel trim, timing, and boost pressure, Hondata unlocked an additional 34 horsepower and 50 lb-ft of torque from the turbo four, bringing those numbers up to 196 and 213 respectively. Those figures mark significant jumps for the CVT-equipped sedan. We saw Hondata make similar strides when the previous-generation Civic was still brand-new back in early 2017. Since then the FlashPro has been used to tune thousands of eager, power hungry Civics and Accords of various trim levels.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Cool HatchBack

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-au...l-transmission

All-New 2022 Civic Hatchback Goes On Sale with Euro-Inspired Design, Enhanced Sporty Driving Character, and an Available Manual Transmission

September 20, 2021 — TORRANCE, Calif.
  • All-new Civic Hatchback is aimed at young, active buyers with sleek fastback design and sporty driving character
    • Short-throw 6-speed manual transmission available with either the 2.0-liter normally aspirated, or 1.5-liter turbo engine
      • New sporty and simple interior design includes increased versatility and the largest back seat ever in a Civic Hatchback
        • Civic Hatchback is built in the U.S. for the first time and continues to offer exceptional value

The best Civic Hatchback ever goes on sale today combining Euro-inspired fastback style and world-class driving dynamics with improved versatility and an available 6-speed manual transmission. All-new, the 2022 Honda Civic Hatchback has a starting Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP)1 of $22,900 (excluding $1,015 destination charge).

To meet the needs and desires of young, active buyers, the new Civic Hatchback also features new standard safety technologies and a new sporty and simple interior design with increased versatility, including the largest back seat inCivic Hatchback history. For the first time, Civic Hatchback is built in the U.S. with production at the Honda auto plant in Greensburg, Indiana using domestic and globally-sourced parts.

"This is the most fun-to-drive Civic Hatchback we've ever made," said Dave Gardner, executive vice president of National Operations at American Honda Motor Co., Inc."Our 11th-generation Civic Sedan is already a runaway success and now this all-new Civic Hatchback further amplifies the performance of the Civic lineup."

Civic Hatchback is the second in a series of new 11th generation Civic variants that also will include the high-performance Si and Civic Type R models.
More Fun to Drive and Value Packed
Civic Hatchback has grown to represent more than 25 percent of all Civic sales and the all-new 2022 Civic Hatchback expands its appeal with an even sportier driving character, especially when equipped with theavailable6-speed manual transmission. Built on the same world-class platform as the all-new critically acclaimed 11th generation Civic Sedan, every 2022 Civic Hatchback benefits from extensive improvements to the body, chassis, powertrain, safety technology and overall performance. It's the most fun-to-drive, refined, comfortable, versatile and value-packed Civic Hatchback ever.

Cutting-edge safety technology is standard on all Civics. All 2022 Civic Hatchbacks include Honda's new next-gen driver and front passenger airbags and an expanded Honda Sensing® suite of driver-assistive and safety technology that adds Traffic Jam Assist and a smoother, more natural feeling to functions like Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and the Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS). A rear seat reminder and rear seatbelt reminder are also new and standard across the lineup.

New for 2022, Civic Hatchback LX ($22,900 MSRP) comes standard with a smooth and responsive naturally-aspirated 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine that produces 158-horsepower (@ 6,500 rpm, SAE net) paired with a continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT). Civic LX also features an easy-to-use 7-inch color touchscreen with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ integration, push-button start, partial digital instrumentation, LED headlights, and a 60/40 split fold-down rear seat. Cargo space is an expansive 24.5 cu.-ft.

Civic Hatchback Sport ($24,100 MSRP) brings additional styling flair and its naturally-aspirated 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine can be paired with an available slick-shifting 6-speed manual transmission. A new Sport driving mode is standard with the CVT. Gloss Berlina Black 18-inch wheels are standard along with low-profile 235/40R-18 tires, black exterior accents and a chrome exhaust finisher. Sport's interior upgrades include an 8-speaker audio system, Sport-specific seating surfaces, leather-wrapped shift knob and steering wheel, paddle shifters (CVT only) and sport pedals.

Civic Hatchback EX-L ($26,600 MSRP) includes a more powerful and refined 1.5-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine and a CVT that's been retuned for improved response and drivability. Now with exhaust-side VTEC®, the engine produces 180-horsepower (@ 6,000 rpm, SAE net) and 177 lb.-ft. of torque (@ 1,700 to 4,500 rpm, SAE net) on regular unleaded gas. Blind-spot information (BSI), leather upholstery, an 8-way power driver's seat, heated front seats, heated outside mirrors, a one-touch power sliding moonroof, and dual-zone automatic climate control are all standard on EX-L.

Packed with additional features, the $29,400 (MSRP) Civic Hatchback Sport Touring sits atop the lineup. It comes standard with the 1.5-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine and CVT, and for those seeking maximum driver engagement, the 6-speed manual transmission is available. LED fog lights and machine-finished 18-inch alloy wheels are standard along with front and rear parking sensors, Low Speed Braking Control, and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA).

Inside, Sport Touring features a Bose premium audio system, with a new 9-inch color touchscreen display with wireless Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ integration. An all-digital and customizable 10.2-inch instrument display is standard, along with dual rear 2.5-amp USB charging points, 4-way power passenger seat and leather-wrapped steering wheel.

Complete details on the all-new 2022 Honda Civic Hatchback, including a full list of specs and features, are available on the Civic Hatchback pages on HondaNews.com.

About Honda
Honda offers a full line of clean, safe, fun and connected vehicles sold through more than 1,000 independent U.S. Honda dealers. Honda has the highest fleet average fuel economy and lowest CO2 emissions of any major full-line automaker in America, according to the latest data from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The Honda lineup includes the Civic, Insight, Accord and Clarity series passenger cars, along with the HR-V, CR-V, Passport and Pilot sport utility vehicles, the Ridgeline pickup and the Odyssey minivan. Honda's electrified vehicle lineup includes the Accord Hybrid, CR-V Hybrid, Insight hybrid-electric sedan, and the Clarity Fuel Cell and Clarity Plug-In Hybrid.

Honda has been producing automobiles in America for 38 years and currently operates 18 major manufacturing facilities in North America. In 2020, more than 95 percent of all Honda vehicles sold in the U.S. were made in North America, using domestic and globally sourced parts.

Legend2TL (10-05-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 02:20 PM

https://www.motor1.com/news/538196/2...type-r-teaser/

Even though Honda has yet to reveal the new Civic Si, the Japanese marque appears to be eager to preview the next Type R ahead of its 2022 release. The hot hatchback will be heading to the Nürburgring for additional testing, but before that, it's posing for the camera wearing full camouflage attire. Already visible are the Brembo red brake calipers and grippy Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires.

It would appear the new Type R has far fewer faux air vents than its predecessor as the large plastic bits at the back are gone. Interestingly, the center-mounted triple exhaust is still there, but the middle tip is now larger than the outer ones. In the old version, the middle exhaust tip is smaller and serves as a resonator. Also noticeable is the position of the rear wing since it now sits slightly higher on the tailgate and has a flatter shape.

Much like the regular 2022 Civic has a significantly cleaner design than its predecessor, the Type R also does away with the busy look of the old one. The front end appears more aggressive with a larger lower air intake flanked by what we are hoping to be real vents hiding under the red and black camouflage. The upper grille seems to be chunkier as well and has a honeycomb pattern slightly different compared to the standard Civic Hatchback.

Honda is being tight-lipped about the technical specifications for the time being, but we do know from previous statements both the Si and Type R will come exclusively with a manual gearbox. Wild rumors had suggested a 400-hp hybrid powertrain and even AWD for the hot hatch, but the latest intel indicates it will be an evolution of today's 2.0-liter FWD recipe, presumably with a bit more power.

The Civic Type R will be the last Honda in Europe to feature a pure gasoline engine once it will arrive at some point next year. Meanwhile, the Si's debut in North America is allegedly imminent.

civicdrivr (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 02:30 PM
Safety Car

Kind of neat that the camo is actually outlines of the CTR and a stylized R.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:36 AM

https://www.motor1.com/news/539891/2...vic-si-teased/

Honda revealed the 11th-generation Civic back in April, introducing a completely redesigned model. We were uncertain how the Civic’s new styling would adapt for the sportier Si trim, though our first set of teasers gives us a good indication. Honda is prepping the Civic Si to race in this year’s 25 Hours of Thunderhill, and it’s showing off a camouflaged test vehicle sporting a massive rear wing.

The test vehicle wears a tight camouflage wrap, though it doesn’t look too different from the standard sedan. The front fascia looks unchanged, though there is a sizable chin spoiler hanging off the bumper. The rear has that massive wing, with dual exhaust tips tucked under the familiar-looking bumper. The rear fascia looks a bit more aggressive, though we need a closer look to be sure. We doubt the massive wing will make it to the production version, though we expect it to wear a wing that honors its audaciousness.

While Honda gave the popular model a complete redesign for its 11th generation, the powertrain lineup remains unchanged. However, there were some improvements in fuel efficiency and power. The next-gen Si is expected to keep the same turbocharged 1.5-liter four-cylinder found in the current model, though its output should increase slightly. The current-gen Si makes 205 horsepower (153 kilowatts) and 192 pound-feet (260 Newton-meters) of torque.

The Civic Si is rumored to arrive on dealer lots sometime this month, though the company hasn’t announced an official debut date. Honda said it’ll be revealed soon. We hope to see the production version break cover before the racing version, which is set to race at Thunderhill on December 3. It’ll be available in several colors, too: Crystal Black Pearl, Aegean Blue Metallic, Red Sonic Gray, Platinum White Pearl, and Blazing Orange. The performance-oriented Civic Type R is expected to launch sometime next year.

Old 10-12-2021, 12:12 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,848 Likes on 4,288 Posts
That wing has to be a joke. Has to be.
There's no way that's going to be on a production Si.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:29 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
That wing has to be a joke. Has to be.
There's no way that's going to be on a production Si.
the article and pictures dont really match up..

that is the thunderhill racing Si.
not to be confused with the production car.

25 hours of racing at thunderhill
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
civicdrivr (10-13-2021), pttl (10-12-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 09:46 AM

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Understanding the new-for-2022 Honda Civic hatchback is a simple three-step process. Step one: Remember that the Accord—particularly the turbocharged 2.0-liter Sport version that we've lauded for years—is a level-headed combination of practicality and over-the-road finesse. Step two: Consider that the new Civic sedan introduced earlier this year is so mature, refined, and adept that we kept calling it the Accord by mistake during our recent small-sedan comparison test—which it won handily. Step three: Now imagine a Civic hatchback that resembles the Civic sedan so closely it's hard to tell the two apart, even when they're parked side by side. That's all there is to your homework assignment.

Indeed, the previous Civic hatchback was chunky, flamboyantly edgy, and festooned with enough goofy fake air intakes and outlets that its looks bordered on jet-age caricature. The new hatchback, however, echoes the latest Civic sedan's understated, fluid lines right down to the elegant sweep of its roof. The hatchback model has grown a mere 1.1 inches in length over the previous version but looks much larger outside, virtually as long as its handsome sedan sibling even though it's 5.0 inches shorter. Legroom in the rear seat subjectively feels every bit as generous as in the sedan now; the old hatchback's rear legroom seemed considerably tighter. Some of that rear-seat room advantage is down to the new car's 1.4-inch longer wheelbase—the Civic sedan and hatchback again roll on identical wheelbases—which stretches the cabin that much more.

While passenger room is virtually identical between the new Civic sedan and hatchback, there's no question which one enables the bigger Costco run. The sedan's trunk holds 14 cubic feet of freshly purchased goods, but the hatchback can carry 25 cubic feet behind its fold-down rear seat. Cargo-hauling capability isn't the only thing that makes the hatchback stand out in the Civic lineup, though. It also offers a manual transmission, just as it did in the previous generation. The sedan doesn't.

Two of the four hatchback models, the mid-level Sport and our top-spec Sport Touring test car, can be equipped with the manual as a no-cost option. The base LX and the EX-L are available only with Honda's continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT). The $25,115 Sport would be our pick for the best balance of price and stick-shift fun, but it comes only with the base 158-hp, 2.0-liter inline-four. The loaded Sport Touring is powered by the brawnier, 180-hp turbocharged 1.5-liter four, by far the livelier combination, but at a base price of $30, 415, its sticker is closing in on that of the superb 252-hp, turbocharged 2.0-liter Accord Sport, which went for $33,125 in 2021 (prices aren't yet out for the 2022 Accord line). Then again, the Accord is no longer available with a manual gearbox.

Our Sonic Gray Civic Sport Touring test car gave off a sporty vibe thanks to its standard blacked-out trim and hunky 235/40R-18 Continental ContiProContact all-season tires on great-looking 10-spoke wheels. The six-speed manual certainly makes the Sport Touring more engaging. The clutch is effortless, and the shift action is good—not as well-oiled as in Honda's best manual gearboxes, but precise and easy to use. The engine purrs softly even when worked hard, and it propelled the stick-shift hatchback to 60 mph in 7.3 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 15.5 seconds at 91 mph. That's no real advantage over the CVT, where we recorded a 7.2-second zero-to-60-mph sprint and a 15.6-second quarter in a Civic Sport Touring sedan, but the manual certainly is more fun. Our manually equipped test car showed less than 400 miles on the odometer, and with a few more break-in miles, we expect there to be more separation between the two.

Stick shift or no, the Sport Touring, like its Civic sedan sister ship, had us thinking "little Accord" more than "sport sedan." The hatchback's ride is supple and its handling secure, although it reveals surprising poise when pushed aggressively on a twisty two-lane. We recorded an impressive 0.90 g of cornering grip on our skidpad, which would easily have been higher had the stability control not intervened. This is a car that doesn't fall to its knees when pressed, which is exactly what we say of the Accord Sport.

The interior of the Civic Sport Touring looks and feels Accord-like as well; it's similarly well appointed and conservative in design. The standard leather seats are comfortable, and the cabin materials are good looking, with many softly padded surfaces and not much in the way of hard plastic trim. We especially like the designer's touch evident in the intricate metal honeycomb panel that stretches across the dash and hides the air vents.

The Sport Touring trim also offers the kind of upscale equipment that's become common across the small-car segment in recent years. Features include a Bose premium audio system, a 9.0-inch touchscreen with navigation, a 10.2-inch digital instrument cluster, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, dual rear 2.5-amp USB ports, a sunroof, dual-zone climate control, power seats, wireless phone charging, and much more. Honda's lane-keeping and active cruise-control systems are standard on all hatchbacks.

The hatchback lineup starts at $23,915, $1000 more than the sedan. That relatively small price step up from the sedan brings with it a choice for Civic buyers. The hatchback looks virtually the same as the handsome sedan. It's just as roomy, it's equally comfortable, it feels as solid, and it drives every bit as well. Plus, it offers both a manual transmission and near-SUV cargo capacity. You can't go wrong with either model, but as fans of do-it-yourself shifting, we know which one we'd take.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:33 AM
Ex-OEM King

7.3s to 60? That's...leisurely...
Old 10-13-2021, 10:51 AM

And that's not including the .4s rollout.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:52 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
^^^^^

Honda has got to cut some slack for the upcoming (faster) Civic Si.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:04 AM

That's a lot of slack to cut...
Old 10-14-2021, 11:23 AM
Ex-OEM King

For some perspective, 7.7s to 60 is nearly a second slower than my wife's mainstream non-luxury three row SUV.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:22 PM
Team Owner

I thought it has the same engine as the previous gen... why is this one so much slower?
Old 10-14-2021, 03:29 PM
Safety Car

I thought it has the same engine as the previous gen... why is this one so much slower?
It gained about a hundred pounds for one thing. It's not like the old one was particularly fast either; C&D clocked a 10G 1.5T+6MT Hatchback at 7.0s without rollout.

Last edited by fiatlux; 10-14-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:44 PM
Team Owner

I remember i read it was a mid 6 sec car, either way that is almost a full sec slower in both CVT and 6mt...

I dont think 100 lbs would make that kind of difference,,,
Old 10-14-2021, 04:56 PM
Safety Car

I remember i read it was a mid 6 sec car, either way that is almost a full sec slower in both CVT and 6mt...

I dont think 100 lbs would make that kind of difference,,,
Per C&D it's 0.3s slower, not a full second.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...l-test-review/
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
Old 10-14-2021, 05:26 PM
Team Owner

either way, it is never a good thing for a car that is not so fast to begin with to become slower with the newer Gen.... I still suspect there is more than just that 100 lbs in place for the cars to be slower.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:03 PM
Safety Car

either way, it is never a good thing for a car that is not so fast to begin with to become slower with the newer Gen.... I still suspect there is more than just that 100 lbs in place for the cars to be slower.
156lb according to C&D's scale
Old 10-14-2021, 06:14 PM
Team Owner

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tes...-favorite.html

It seems like this review hits all the points we are talking about.

A tale of three Civics

We still haven't answered the question then. Truth is, we're not entirely sure why our 2022 Civic Touring test car brings up the rear among this trio. Here are the numbers in full if you want to geek out with us. As noted, all three test cars were sedans with the 1.5-liter turbocharged engine and the CVT.

Date Temp Weight Acceleration
0-60 Acceleration1/4-Mile
2016 Honda Civic Touring 12/1/15 60 deg 2,920 lbs 6.7 sec 14.8 sec @ 95.7 mph
2016 Honda Civic Touring 2/23/16 80 deg 2,920 lbs 6.9 sec 15.1 sec @ 93.4 mph
2022 Honda Civic Touring 5/24/21 77 deg 3,081 lbs 7.9 sec 15.9 sec @ 90.2 mph

One thing we haven't discussed yet is "trap speed," or the speed the car's traveling at the quarter-mile mark. Here again the new Civic is oddly behind the times. You can see that the second 2016 Civic had a lower trap speed than the first, which we can attribute to the 20-degree bump in temperature. But on a day that was three degrees cooler, the 2022 Civic was 3.2 mph slower.

For the record, the 1.5T engine's nominal output has actually gone up for 2022, checking in at 180 horsepower and 177 lb-ft of torque versus the previous version's 174 hp and 162 lb-ft.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 10-14-2021 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Old 10-15-2021, 09:26 AM
Ex-OEM King

I really don't get the power thing. Power is cheap and easy to come by these days so why not up that to 200hp and call it good?
Old 10-15-2021, 11:38 AM

Maybe reliability? Maybe the CVT can't support it?

I saw a sedan two days ago - it really is a mini Accord. And that's not a bad thing. It looks good.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:06 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Maybe reliability? Maybe the CVT can't support it?

I saw a sedan two days ago - it really is a mini Accord. And that's not a bad thing. It looks good.
The 270hp turbo 4 in our Subaru is hooked up to a CVT so they can certainly handle it if properly designed.

Quick Reply: Honda: Civic News