AZ Community Team

Received 4,230 Likes on 2,612 Posts
2022 Honda Civic Sport Touring Manual Hatchback - POV Review

Fairly objective review

Old 10-15-2021, 01:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
I really don't get the power thing. Power is cheap and easy to come by these days so why not up that to 200hp and call it good?

Because you will be getting too close to Si at the end of the day it is still a 1.5L... I mean they could squeeze 300hp out of it if they wanted to if Mercedes could do 450+ with 2L...
But these are mid 20k cars.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:31 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,097 Likes on 4,001 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Because you will be getting too close to Si at the end of the day it is still a 1.5L... I mean they could squeeze 300hp out of it if they wanted to if Mercedes could do 450+ with 2L...
But these are mid 20k cars.
I'm not talking even that much but 200hp out of a "normal" car isn't too much to ask for these days. Even Hyundai offers the Elantra with 200hp on the N-Line model.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:40 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,391 Likes on 4,937 Posts
The 270hp turbo 4 in our Subaru is hooked up to a CVT so they can certainly handle it if properly designed.
Yeah but this is a Honda transmission...
Old 10-15-2021, 01:55 PM
Team Owner

I'm not talking even that much but 200hp out of a "normal" car isn't too much to ask for these days. Even Hyundai offers the Elantra with 200hp on the N-Line model.
It is not a lot to ask.

The issue is Si only has 205 hp... So i just dont see the normal Civic has more HP than Si...

I have been saying this for a while now... drop that sorry ass NA 150hp Sport Trim and just make the SI THE sport level with CVT as the option.
They are like $2000 apart...
Old 10-15-2021, 02:32 PM
Ex-OEM King

It is not a lot to ask.

The issue is Si only has 205 hp... So i just dont see the normal Civic has more HP than Si...

I have been saying this for a while now... drop that sorry ass NA 150hp Sport Trim and just make the SI THE sport level with CVT as the option.
They are like $2000 apart...
Then give the Si even MORE power than the base. Shit, put it up against the GTI, which is what it's advertised to do, which comes with ~230hp (in the mk7, 250 in the mk8). Selling a 150hp car as a "sport" model is straight up stupid these days.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,433 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Then give the Si even MORE power than the base. Shit, put it up against the GTI, which is what it's advertised to do, which comes with ~230hp (in the mk7, 250 in the mk8). Selling a 150hp car as a "sport" model is straight up stupid these days.
That wouldn't be the Honda way. <5hp bumps is a longstanding tradition.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:10 PM
Team Owner

You would think so.. there is 100 hp gap between SI and CTR... you would think Honda would use Si to fill in the gap. Nope... 2022 Si still has 205 hp... It will have trouble beating that Grandma in her 4 banger Camry...

That kinda sealed the cap for rest of the Civic line up... on top of that they are even SLOWER than the previous Gen...

Not trying to hate on Honda/Acura, but i just dont understand

But i gotta say, despite what i said before about the looks of the new Civic, they are decent looking in person.... Then i quickly reminded myself that they only have 150hp... (I rarely see Sport Touring Civic, since most of the civic buyers wont spend that kind of $$)

Last edited by oonowindoo; 10-15-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:22 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,387 Likes on 4,069 Posts
You would think so.. there is 100 hp gap between SI and CTR... you would think Honda would use Si to fill in the gap. Nope... 2022 Si still has 205 hp... It will have trouble beating that Grandma in her 4 banger Camry...

That kinda sealed the cap for rest of the Civic line up... on top of that they are even SLOWER than the previous Gen...

Not trying to hate on Honda/Acura, but i just dont understand

But i gotta say, despite what i said before about the looks of the new Civic, they are decent looking in person.... Then i quickly reminded myself that they only have 150hp... (I rarely see Sport Touring Civic, since most of the civic buyers wont spend that kind of $$)

Has that been confirmed?
Old 10-15-2021, 04:00 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pttl

Has that been confirmed?
I dont know if it is confirmed. But this is what it says online 3 days ago
Considering all other engines are carried over from previous gen, i dont see how Si would be any different. I mean they could claim "more powerful engine with more performance" and you end up getting 2hp gain that no one could verify

Honda said the road-going Civic Si is coming soon, and that it will be the “best-handling” and “most fun-to-drive” Civic Si yet. That's likely thanks in part to the stiffer body and chassis (8% better torsional rigidity and 13% better bending rigidity) of the 11th-generation Civic. The wheelbase and track width have also been increased over the previous generation.

There's no word on the powertrain but expect the previous Civic Si's 1.5-liter turbocharged inline-4 to carry over into the new model, along with the front-wheel-drive configuration. The 205 hp and 192 lb-ft of torque peak output will likely be unchanged. A manual should be standard and Honda may offer the regular Civic's continuously variable transmission as an option.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...of-thunderhill

Last edited by oonowindoo; 10-15-2021 at 04:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pttl (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 04:48 PM
My first Avatar....

Wow! If Honda doesn't give the Si a decent bump in power i suppose they are just throwing in the towel.
F23A4 (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 05:01 PM
Team Owner

In Contrast, Hyundai/Kia are stepping up their games...

Every time i see a K5 GT on the road, it broke my neck...
Old 10-15-2021, 05:18 PM
My first Avatar....

I'll be seriously looking at the N models from hyundai.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
I'll play devil's advocate on this one. Spent almost 5 years working at a Honda dealership and still have many close friends that work in both sales and service at various Honda dealerships. So I do feel my prospective has some merit outside of throwing around horsepower numbers, which outside of Type-R owners, 99% off Civic (including SI) owners could give two shits about. During my entire tenure I cannot recall a single time we had more than one SI in stock. It was actually rare that we even had one in stock. When we did have one in stock, it often sold immediately because someone always went out their way to get it. I don't have any exact sales figures to pull from and I assume the SI is a super low production car for Honda, but I can guarantee if we had more, we would have sold way more of them. My point being, the market is still there for them even at these horsepower figures. Check out what people are willing to pay for 9th Gen Civic SIs. They are rivaling Tacomas when it comes to resale value.

In Contrast, Hyundai/Kia are stepping up their games...

Every time i see a K5 GT on the road, it broke my neck...
Wife and I played that game in 2015 and I've had enough to keep me away for at least the next couple car purchases. We bought new and I won't even get into the headaches we have run into with a 2.4 N/A engine. They should work on their internal combination game and stop focusing on shoving as much tech as possible into every model. I do really like both of their current model lineups (Telluride, Sorento, etc.), but if I'm going to have to deal with average to below average reliability, personally, I'm going used German.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:30 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
While we were keeping a close eye on the upcoming Civic Type R, Honda has just announced that the all-new Civic Si is just a day away from being officially shown to the world.

6 photos

The hot model, which will bridge the gap between the new-gen Civic family and the 2023 Civic Type R hot hatch, will be unveiled on October 19, at 6:00 a.m. PT (9:00 a.m. ET / 15:00 CET).

Accompanying the announcement is a teaser image that partially reveals the rear design of the car. The model is presented as a sedan, but for now, it is unknown whether this will be the only body style available or if it will be sold as a hatchback too.

Compared to the four-door variant of the 2022 Honda Civic, the new Civic Si sports a similar looking bumper, with horizontal reflectors mounted on each side. The diffuser is a bit more aggressive here, however, and incorporates an exhaust pipe on the right side that will likely be mirrored on the left side too. The red ‘Si’ logo bedecks the trunk lid, and we can also see that it sports a ducktail spoiler in black, contrasting the orange body, and darkened taillamps.

Expected to arrive at dealers across the United States next month, the new generation Civic Si's powertrain is a big unknown. Its predecessor came with a turbocharged 1.5-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine, making 205 hp and 192 lb-ft (260 Nm) of torque, and was offered in the Coupe and Sedan flavors. We’d expect a bit more from the upcoming model, though not way more, because it won’t step on the new Civic Type R’s toes.

The range-topping variant of the family will retain the turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, mated to a six-speed manual transmission and front-wheel drive. Its predecessor had 306 hp and 295 lb-ft (400 Nm) in the U.S.-spec, so the new one, which is due next year, should be punchier.
2022 Honda Civic Si Shows Sexy Back End Ahead of Tomorrow’s Unveiling - autoevolution
Old 10-18-2021, 12:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I'll play devil's advocate on this one. Spent almost 5 years working at a Honda dealership and still have many close friends that work in both sales and service at various Honda dealerships. So I do feel my prospective has some merit outside of throwing around horsepower numbers, which outside of Type-R owners, 99% off Civic (including SI) owners could give two shits about. During my entire tenure I cannot recall a single time we had more than one SI in stock. It was actually rare that we even had one in stock. When we did have one in stock, it often sold immediately because someone always went out their way to get it. I don't have any exact sales figures to pull from and I assume the SI is a super low production car for Honda, but I can guarantee if we had more, we would have sold way more of them. My point being, the market is still there for them even at these horsepower figures. Check out what people are willing to pay for 9th Gen Civic SIs. They are rivaling Tacomas when it comes to resale value.

Wife and I played that game in 2015 and I've had enough to keep me away for at least the next couple car purchases. We bought new and I won't even get into the headaches we have run into with a 2.4 N/A engine. They should work on their internal combination game and stop focusing on shoving as much tech as possible into every model. I do really like both of their current model lineups (Telluride, Sorento, etc.), but if I'm going to have to deal with average to below average reliability, personally, I'm going used German.
I have my doubts on how many they can sell especially given SI is 6mt only. Honda knew that and that is why there was never a lot of SI to begin with.

I have never owned KIA or Hyundai but per every report, they are just as reliable as anyone. I have had some major issues with every Honda and Acura car i have owned (except the current CR-V) and I am not here to say they are not reliable.

I dont use current resale value of any car as a indicator of desirability. Our company just sold a 3 years old Odyssey for $30k and it was only $35k brand new 3 years ago. Oh yah it is inflated on so many levels.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 10-18-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:59 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,475 Likes on 932 Posts
Looks like a Jetta in that shot.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:06 PM
Team Owner

I am sure it will look better than the current Jetta.... VW fucked it up so badly. The proportion looks so off.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:07 AM
Race Director

A symbol of affordable performance, the new Civic Si is here to deliver more bang for the buck despite the fact it's slightly less powerful than its predecessor. The turbocharged 1.5-liter gasoline engine now produces 200 horsepower, which means it's down by five ponies compared to the model it replaces. However, the horsepower number doesn't tell the whole story as the engineers have found other ways to improve the sporty sedan.

For example, the 192 pound-feet (260 Newton-meters) of torque you got in the previous-generation Civic Si now kicks in 300 rpm earlier, at 1,800 rpm, which should translate into more spirited acceleration off the line. At the other end of the rpm scale, Honda says it has tweaked the engine to deliver more power than before between the 6,000 rpm peak and the 6,500 rpm redline.

As previously announced, the 2022 Civic Si is a manual-only affair by featuring an upgraded six-speed gearbox with rev-matching tech borrowed from the Type R. The engineers have revised the transmission to deliver 10 percent shorter throws and a better shift feel, enhanced by the aluminum shift knob with leather inspired by the one you'll find in the Type R.

For the latest iteration of its VW Jetta GLI rival, Honda has developed a new dual exhaust system with 27 percent better exhaust flow than the regular Civic Touring. In addition, the single-mass flywheel is now 26 percent lighter than the single-mass unit of the previous Civic Si and the engine delivers a quicker throttle response thanks to a 30 percent decrease in the flywheel's inertia.

7 Photos
A limited-slip differential is part of the standard equipment, as is the multi-link rear suspension. As you would expect, the Si's brakes are bigger than those of the regular Civic, with 12.3-inch rotors at the front axle (+1.2 inches) and 11.1-inch rotors at the rear (+0.9 inches). Those 18-inch wheels with a 10-spoke design and a matte black finish are exclusive to the spicy version and come wrapped in 235/40 R18 all-season performance tires or optional summer rubber. The Blazing Orange Pearl paint we first saw in November 2020 on the Civic Prototype is also only for the Si.

The exterior styling brings a more aggressive yet subtle evolution of the regular model, with a trunk lid spoiler finished in glossy black to complement the dark finish of the side mirror caps and window surrounds. An underbody spoiler at the front denotes it's the Si, along with the red badge on the front grille taken from the 2022 Civic Hatchback.

The interior has been largely carried over from the regular 2022 Civic Sedan, but with a multitude of red accents, aluminum pedals, and a pair of sporty seats with integrated headrests and improved lateral support. Much like the standard compact sedan, it gets a seven-inch digital driver's display and a nine-inch touchscreen with wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. As standard, the Si features a 12-inch Bose sound system with a subwoofer.

With Honda axing the coupe body style for the Civic's eleventh generation, there's not going to be another two-door Si. The sedan will go on sale before the end of the year and will be followed by the manual-only Type R hatchback in 2022. Also next year, we're going to see the much-hyped Acura Integra as a five-door sporty liftback with three pedals and presumably related in terms of underpinnings to one of the hotter Civics.
2022 Honda Civic Si Revealed: Less Power, But More Exciting To Drive (motor1.com)

Last edited by biker; 10-19-2021 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:08 AM

​​​​​At least it looks good, but the GLI offers so much more for the money.
pttl (10-20-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 08:16 AM
Race Director

Honda has revealed the 2022 Civic Si, which it calls the best-handling, best-equipped, and most fun-to-drive Civic Si ever. The latest hot Civic is powered by an updated 1.5-liter engine and comes exclusively with a six-speed manual transmission, featuring the same rev-matching technology as found in the Type R.

Honda hopes that enthusiasts will look past the fact that the new Civic Si makes 200 hp (202 PS/149 kW), instead of the outgoing model‘s 205 hp and no more torque (both make 192 lb-ft [260 Nm] of torque). What the car lacks in peak power, it makes up for in better power delivery, always according to the carmaker.

Peak torque comes in 300 rpm sooner than it did previously, which Honda says allows it to launch better. At the top of the rev range, meanwhile, the engine maintains more of its power between 6,000 rpm and its 6,500 rpm redline than it did before, giving you more of the rev range to play with.

The engine also has a snappier response thanks to its new flywheel that weighs 26 percent less than that in the previous Si. It will also sound better thanks to a dual-coil silencer exhaust system that increases gas flow by 27 percent (compared to the Civic Touring). Active sound will also play artificial sounds inside the cabin.

You’ll be able to catch those speedy revs thanks to a new six-speed manual transmission, featuring a stiffer shifter with 10 percent shorter throws. The manual transmission, the only option available to the Si, now comes with the Civic Type R‘s rev-matching system, which responds in 430 m/s in sport mode to help you drive as smoothly as possible.

The Most Rigid Civic Si Ever

The 2022 Civic Si benefits from a new body with 8 percent more torsional rigidity and 13 percent more bending rigidity than the outgoing model. That is more impressive if you consider that it also gets a half-an-inch (12.7mm) wider rear track for stability and a 1.4-inch (35.5 mm) longer wheelbase for a smoother ride.

The suspension, too, has been optimized with front springs that are eight percent stiffer and rear springs are 54 percent stiffer than they are on a standard 2022 Civic. The dampers, meanwhile, have been tuned specifically for the Si and the front MacPherson struts reinforced at the upper mount to handle increased cornering loads. Thicker stabilizer bars at the front and rear also help minimize body roll.

To improve stability, the front compliance bushings, borrowed from the Civic Type R, are 79 percent stiffer than the Civic EX sedan. The rear compliance bushings, upper arms, and lower B-arms are also all sourced from the Type R. Steering feel, meanwhile, is improved thanks to a 60 percent stiffer torsion bar connecting the steering shaft to the pinion gear.

To help bring it all to a stop, the Si gets bigger brakes, with 12.3-inch rotors at the front and 11.1-inch rotors at the back (1.2-inches and 0.9-inches larger, respectively). These are helped by standard 235/40R18 all-season performance tires, though summer tires are also available as a factory option.

Some Of Beauty Is Skin Deep

Outside, the Si gets a few choice modifications over the standard sedan. The upper front bumper is more aggressive, while the rear bumper has been modified to allow for the Si’s two exhaust tips.

A front spoiler, hidden under the vehicle and a gloss black rear spoiler mounted on top of the trunk lid add downforce to improve high-speed stability, while gloss black trim on the mirror caps just make it look better.

LED headlights and taillights are standard, as are 18-inch 10-spoke alloy wheels finished in Si-specific matte-black paint. Blazing Orange, the color seen here, is also an Si-exclusive color for 2022.

Some Beauty Is More Than Skin Deep

Inside, the front occupants are greeted by Si-exclusive sports seats with built-in head restraints and more prominent shoulder and thigh supports. The lower cushion has been raised by 0.5-inches at the front, providing better support.

The new Civic Si also gets sport pedals and red contrast stitching on the doors, the steering wheel, the center armrest, the shift boot, and the shift knob. A seven-inch color instrument display with a digital tach on the left side helps give the driver all the information they need, while a nine-inch color touchscreen has wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration. A 12-speaker Bose premium sound system helps ensure that if you do choose to listen to something other than the exhaust note, it will also sound excellent.

Available This Year

“Civic Si is a performance icon that has offered affordable high-performance for four decades and the new Honda Civic Si continues that legacy,” said Dave Gardner, executive vice president of National Operations, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. “It isn’t just a blast to drive, it’s hands down the best Civic Si we’ve ever offered to our customers.”

Although the price of the 2022 Honda Civic Si has not yet been revealed, the automaker plans to have it dealerships before the end of the year, so pricing information should follow soon.
Honda Reveals New 2022 Civic Si With 200 HP Turbo And Type R's Rev-Matching Tech | Carscoops
Old 10-19-2021, 08:26 AM
My first Avatar....

Honda improves the car in every way, except they give it LESS power.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:42 AM
Ex-OEM King

For the latest iteration of its VW Jetta GLI rival, Honda has developed a new dual exhaust system with 27 percent better exhaust flow than the regular Civic Touring. In addition, the single-mass flywheel is now 26 percent lighter than the single-mass unit of the previous Civic Si and the engine delivers a quicker throttle response thanks to a 30 percent decrease in the flywheel's inertia.
All this work and the engine makes...*checks notes*...less power????
Old 10-19-2021, 08:45 AM
Race Director

We don't yet know what effect the fewer ponies will have on performance and it may be related to the coming tougher mileage rules.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:49 AM

My guess - it's slower.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:50 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by biker
We don't yet know what effect the fewer ponies will have on performance and it may be related to the coming tougher mileage rules.
Fewer ponies due to tougher emissions rules? Well then surely the mk8 GTI will have less pow....wait what?...it has a lot more? Well shit.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:55 AM
Race Director

Fewer ponies due to tougher emissions rules? Well then surely the mk8 GTI will have less pow....wait what?...it has a lot more? Well shit.
Read the A/S3 review - Audi did the same (lower HP on AWD) for mileage reasons.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:58 AM
Ex-OEM King

Read the A/S3 review - Audi did the same (lower HP on AWD) for mileage reasons.
They increased the S3 output by 18hp and dropped the 0-60 time because it's the performance model and people buying it are sure to care about such things. Care to try again?
Old 10-19-2021, 09:55 AM
Race Director

They increased the S3 output by 18hp and dropped the 0-60 time because it's the performance model and people buying it are sure to care about such things. Care to try again?
I said the AWD (in the A3, not S3) - it went from 228 down to 201. Honda apparently doesn't really care if you are buying the Si for "performance" - they won't give you more of it.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:00 AM
Ex-OEM King

I said the AWD (in the A3, not S3) - it went from 228 down to 201. Honda apparently doesn't really care if you are buying the Si for "performance" - they won't give you more of it.
Which, again, is fine for the A3 as it's not the performance model. People buying that one are doing so for the drive and the badge more so than performance. Similarly people would do the same for the Civic vs the Si. I don't think anyone would care if the Civic went down a bit on power for a substantial gain in fuel economy but it matters for a performance minded model.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:23 AM
Safety Car

Can't help but wonder if they had to nerf the power on the Si in order to make space for the Integra. Wouldn't surprise me; typical Honda/Acura to hamstring a lower model/trim to protect the model/trim above it rather than just make the model/trim above it better.
civicdrivr (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 11:24 AM
Safety Car

And more weight...and less features like heated seats, dual zone climate control, and adaptive dampers, all of which were on the 10G model.
RPhilMan1 (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 11:31 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by fiatlux
And more weight...and less features like heated seats, dual zone climate control, and adaptive dampers, all of which were on the 10G model.
Didn't realize all this.

Seems like the only mainstream car company that's really trying to improve their vehicles is hyundai/kia.

Civic Si. <---- Off the list.

Last edited by pttl; 10-19-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:23 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,475 Likes on 932 Posts
I don't mind the rear styling but I really don't like the front at all.

This is disappointing, Honda.

Originally Posted by fiatlux
And that would be a deal breaker for me. Hell, no heated seats in the CTR was one big reason not to pursue one.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:26 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
I don't mind the rear styling but I really don't like the front at all.

This is disappointing, Honda.

And that would be a deal breaker for me. Hell, no heated seats in the CTR was one big reason not to pursue one.
The main aim might be to cut costs in order to undercut the competition, but I'm seriously thinking that they're doing this to create more separation with the Integra, especially if the base Integra winds up getting the same 1.5T + 6MT. If you want heated seats and dual zone climate, gotta step up to Acura.

Can't help but wonder if the renewed focus on Acura is going to actually neuter Honda...
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
00TL-P3.2 (10-19-2021), biker (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 04:30 PM
Team Owner

I guess i gave Honda too much credit for keeping its sorry 205hp... they proved me wrong....

Old 10-19-2021, 04:33 PM
Team Owner

now thinking about to rest of the Civic 1.5T lineup.. all of a sudden it makes sense why the 1.5T Sport touring is slower than the previous gen...

Old 10-19-2021, 07:13 PM
Safety Car

now thinking about to rest of the Civic 1.5T lineup.. all of a sudden it makes sense why the 1.5T Sport touring is slower than the previous gen...
Both Hondata and PRL put the 2022 on a dyno and the results were...disappointing.
Hondata got 190whp for the 10G vs 162whp for the 11G on a dynapack (so really more like bhp)
PRL got 183whp for the 10G vs 169whp for the 11G on a dynojet.

Seems like not only is the 11G heavier, but it actually puts down less power for whatever reason.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:03 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^I think you called it; they want that separation between the integra and civic

160ish whp is fine for an econobox
Old 10-20-2021, 08:56 AM

Received 5,485 Likes on 3,744 Posts
< Has 170/160 & car is just barely sufficient. Takes 2 downshifts for hills around here sometimes.

But, turbo torque makes up for some of it, compared to my N/A 2.4 I4.

Quick Reply: Honda: Civic News