View Poll Results: What do you like Better?
Accord Concept Rims and Bodykit
73.97%
2004 Acura TL A-Spec Bodykit and Rims
26.03%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Honda: Accord News

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 04:33 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser

Tires add more rotational mass. Rotational mass bad because:

- reduce most important 0-110 mph acceleration time because without high speed performance its dangerous to overtake and merge lanes
- hurt fuel economic
- increase cost of ownership because tires need replaced
- can be damage by potholes as tires not pothole proof like Acura wheels
- Honda hp are much more than other company hp so TSX superior performance even with tires unlike GS350

FIFY (No SSFTSX post is complete without a picture)
Old 08-17-2015, 04:57 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
The person who designed this must have gotten their hands on the new Accord suspension work:

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
God damn.... That thing just looks like its set to go off roading
Old 09-15-2015, 08:22 AM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
Drove a '16 EX Sedan yesterday for the hell of it.

It drives just like the 13+, but the added tech is nice.. Remote start, touch screen audio, wifi( didn't get a chance to mess around with that) and the "Honda Sense" driver aid package was an extra 1k or so.

I still think the EX is the best value if you can do without leather. I just wish that the Sport package was a standalone option.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:33 AM

Received 5,299 Likes on 3,633 Posts
Saw one on my drive home yesterday, rear end looks fantastic, didn't get a great look at the front. Wheels were directional & looked wrong on the dark blue car.
Couldn't quite tell the trim level, likely a 4cyl, single exhaust, little wheels.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Saw one on my drive home yesterday, rear end looks fantastic, didn't get a great look at the front. Wheels were directional & looked wrong on the dark blue car.
Couldn't quite tell the trim level, likely a 4cyl, single exhaust, little wheels.
Couldn't agree with you more. Love the 2016 Accord from the rear and sides, but from the front it is They really uglified it. The 2015 front end looks so much more cleaner and put together. Now it looks like it doesn't know what it wants to be.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
<p>First thing I would swap out from the EX is the wheels.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>The front isn't bad.... If you bought a 4G TL, then you shouldn't think it's bad either.</p>
Old 09-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
saw the new 16 accord at the dealer when i was picking up a CRV...

better in pretty much every way, except for the wheels... every single one of those wheels is fugly.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Do not like the grill at all.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:12 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
saw the new 16 accord at the dealer when i was picking up a CRV...

better in pretty much every way, except for the wheels... every single one of those wheels is fugly.
You don't like these wheels as well?

Old 09-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Team Owner

did not see those wheels at the dealer.

I did notice however Honda's new trend with this wheels... rotational bi color fugly wheels.

Si, new Accord, Pilot, CRV Touring, fit... all of them are fugly for the same reason.

This is what i saw

Old 09-17-2015, 08:49 AM

Received 5,299 Likes on 3,633 Posts
Agreed the directional wheels don't look great. The Sport wheels look pretty decent though.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:02 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea, don't like the directional wheels either.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:31 AM
zac
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
All these new wheels from Honda look like they got a contract with Pep boys to supply them. They're terrible.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:18 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
My mom wants to get the 16 Accord Touring.. I keep telling her to go for a manual trans E90 M3 but she just doesn't understand..
Old 09-20-2015, 04:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a TL and MDX and I am looking for a 3rd car for a bigger family in 6MT Sedan so looking towards '16 Accord Sport or EX. Sport is my trim choice but missing the Moonroof, smartkey, Android Auto, that is on the EX but the EX has those nasty directional wheels, missing spoiler, side body kit, double exhaust, smaller brakes, soft suspension.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:42 PM
Team Owner

being on a car forum, most of us will trade moonroof, smartkey and an app for better wheels, spoiler, bodykit, dual exhaust, bigger brake and better suspension. and probably cheaper too.

getting everything exactly the way you wanted will cost a lot more.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:04 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by akaczr
2016 Accord in motion is pretty stunning

I've had a TL and MDX and I am looking for a 3rd car for a bigger family in 6MT Sedan so looking towards '16 Accord Sport or EX. Sport is my trim choice but missing the Moonroof, smartkey, Android Auto, that is on the EX but the EX has those nasty directional wheels, missing spoiler, side body kit, double exhaust, smaller brakes, soft suspension.
I'd lean toward the Sport, although I really the moon roofs and would miss that.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Incredibly ugly wheels on all but Touring, way worse than even ILX, TLX 2.4, RDX, and CRV touring.

Honda has to lose the direction thing, not a good look.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:59 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Woman is annoying, but it shows the new car close up

Old 09-21-2015, 01:51 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by akaczr
Sport is my trim choice but missing the Moonroof, smartkey, Android Auto, that is on the EX but the EX has those nasty directional wheels, missing spoiler, side body kit, double exhaust, smaller brakes, soft suspension.
Not sure for 2016, but in Canada we have the Touring trim with I4 and 6MT. It also has the nicer wheels, moonroof, smart key, Android Auto, etc. It wouldn't be too hard to add the lip kit on it.

With that said, would be nice if the Sport trim becomes a Sport package instead so that it can be equipped on all trims.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:07 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
<p>red is back for the accords!&nbsp;</p>
Old 09-23-2015, 09:40 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,835 Likes on 3,855 Posts
being on a car forum, most of us will trade moonroof, smartkey and an app for better wheels, spoiler, bodykit, dual exhaust, bigger brake and better suspension. and probably cheaper too.

getting everything exactly the way you wanted will cost a lot more.
I'd get the EX. All the stuff you listed is easier to add to the EX than it is to add the EX features to the Sport.

Also...

Dear Honda,
Please offer the Accord Sport with the options that most drivers actually want in their cars. People wanting the sporty driving experience still want a moonroof, smart key, nav, leather, heated seats, etc... It's not like it'll cost you that much to do this.

Sincerely,
Honda Enthusiasts
Old 09-23-2015, 09:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Dear SamDoe1,

We don't really care. We prefer to build "boutique", low volume selling cars, such as the CR-Z, RLX, or Element from years gone by. We don't think there is any value in catering to small groups of enthusiasts who in return spread our name out to the masses. We prefer to cater to hipsters and average Joes who really don't even care about cars.

Sincerely,
Honda

PS- the new NSX is never actually coming. We just needed a good laugh at HQ.
The following users liked this post:
fsttyms1 (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Dear SamDoe1,

We don't really care. We prefer to build "boutique", low volume selling cars, such as the CR-Z, RLX, or Element from years gone by. We don't think there is any value in catering to small groups of enthusiasts who in return spread our name out to the masses. We prefer to cater to hipsters and average Joes who really don't even care about cars.

Sincerely,
Honda

PS- the new NSX is never actually coming. We just needed a good laugh at HQ.

PPS. We here at Honda Hate you.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:32 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I enjoyed their newest commercial tho, it was a commercial about Honda,not necessarily for the Accords
Old 09-23-2015, 06:36 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Extremely frumpy looking something the pre-refresh cured from the past model year and something that frequently plagues Hondas. Outside of feature content, this is a step back. If I really wanted an Accord, I would look for a deal on a pre-refresh.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:45 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Honda Launches 2017 Accord Hybrid: America?s Most Sophisticated, Powerful and Fuel Efficient Midsize Hybrid Sedan - Honda News

Honda Launches 2017 Accord Hybrid: America’s Most Sophisticated, Powerful and Fuel Efficient Midsize Hybrid Sedan

Jun 15, 2016 - TORRANCE, Calif.
  • Next-generation two-motor hybrid powertrain with class-leading 212 horsepower and top-in-class EPA fuel economy ratings of 49/47/48 mpg1
  • Dynamic new styling and advanced features including standard Honda Sensing™ technology, plus available Display Audio with Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™
America's best-selling midsize sedan bolsters its resume for 2016 with the arrival of the restyled and reengineered 2017 Accord Hybrid, America's most powerful and fuel-efficient midsize hybrid sedan, launching today at Honda dealerships nationwide. Featuring an advanced second-generation two-motor hybrid powertrain, the 2017 Accord Hybrid delivers a knock-out combination of power, fuel efficiency and standard high-tech feature content with peak total system output of 212 horsepower, best-in-class EPA fuel economy ratings of 49/47/48 mpg (city/highway/combined)1, and a starting MSRP of $29,605.

In addition to its more powerful and fuel-efficient hybrid powertrain, the 2017 Accord Hybrid benefits from the extensive upgrades made to the Accord lineup for 2016 including dynamic new styling, sportier driving performance and the latest in advanced technology.

Available in three well-equipped trims – Hybrid, Hybrid EX-L and Hybrid Touring – all Accord Hybrids boast increased levels of standard and available equipment including the Honda Sensing™ suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies, offered as standard equipment on all models; and for EX-L and touring trims, Honda's newest Display Audio touchscreen interface featuring Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ compatibility.

"The Accord Hybrid is the ultimate Accord, offering exceptional dynamic qualities with the greatest technological sophistication and fuel efficiency in the Accord family," said Jeff Conrad, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Honda Division, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "Consumers have made Accord America's top selling midsize sedan, recognizing its unique combination of performance, value, efficiency and refinement, and the 2017 Accord Hybrid ups the game in each of these traits."

A 30-time recipient of Car and Driver magazine's "10 Best" award, unprecedented for any vehicle, the Honda Accord has been America's top retail selling car for three years running and is also the best-selling midsize car among under-35 year old car buyers. Through the end of April of 2016, Accord is the outright best-selling midsize car in America with sales up 13.2 percent versus year-ago results.

Additional new available features for the 2017 Accord Hybrid, depending on model and trim, include remote engine start, front and rear parking sensors, rain sensing wipers, heated rear seats and auto high-beam headlights. The Accord Hybrid will also feature new exterior colors and interior fabrics and décor. Hybrid-exclusive design features include a special aluminum hood and unique alloy wheel design, blue highlighted LED headlights and taillights and "Hybrid" exterior badging. A more compact hybrid battery pack increases trunk capacity to a class-leading 13.5 cu.-ft. in the midsize hybrid sedan segment.

Combining the next generation of Honda's two-motor hybrid system with an ultra-efficient 2.0-liter i-VTEC Atkinson Cycle engine, the 2017 Accord Hybrid powertrain achieves a peak combined output of 212 horsepower, the highest of any midsize hybrid sedan and up 16 horsepower over the 2015 Accord Hybrid. EPA fuel economy ratings of 49/47/48 (city/highway/combined) put the Accord Hybrid at the top of the class under a more stringent EPA ratings system for 2017 model year vehicles, making it the most powerful and fuel efficient midsize hybrid sedan in America.

The Accord Hybrid's two-motor hybrid powertrain takes an elegant and innovative approach to hybrid power, eliminating the need for a conventional mechanical transmission. The Accord Hybrid's powertrain seamlessly transitions between three modes of operation:
  • EV Drive – using its electric propulsion motor and lithium ion battery pack to drive the front wheels for short distances under light loads (with the engine turned off)
  • Hybrid Drive – the electric propulsion motor drives the front wheels while the gasoline engine powers a second motor/generator to supplement electrical current drawn from the battery pack
  • Engine Drive – using a lock-up clutch mechanism to connect the engine and propulsion motor, the front wheels are driven by both the motor and gasoline engine

Honda Sensing™

All 2017 Accord Hybrids come standard with Honda Sensing™, among the most comprehensive suites of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies in the competitive class. The following technologies comprise Honda Sensing:
  • Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS)
  • Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
  • Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
  • Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
  • Road Departure Mitigation (RDM)
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)

All 2017 Accord Hybrids also feature a standard Multi-Angle Rearview Camera with dynamic guidelines and Expanded View Driver's Mirror. The Touring trim adds new auto high-beam headlights that enhance nighttime visibility and driving convenience.

Exterior and Interior Design

The Accord Hybrid gets a major facelift for 2017 that closely follows the changes made to the gasoline-only powered 2016 Accord models. In place of the previous wrap-around front bumper is a more sharply creased and intricately structured front fascia, the lower portion of which tucks into large intake-like meshed areas that house new standard LED fog lights. An Accord Hybrid exclusive, elegantly contoured aluminum hood meets up with a brighter, more pronounced front grille. The more expressive face of Accord is complimented by a sharply sculpted rear bumper fascia and new LED taillight design. Blue-accents on the front grill, headlights and taillights of the 2017 Accord Hybrid, along with special "Hybrid" badging, provide a subtly distinctive look and visual differentiation between from its gasoline-only powered stable mates.

All Accord Hybrid trims have unique 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels and feature the expanded use of LED lighting – LED daytime running lights (DRLs), taillights and fog lights for all trims, and LED headlights for the Touring trim.

The Accord Hybrid also gets a revised exterior color palette with five new colors – out of the eight available – as well as new interior tricot seat fabric (base trim) and color schemes including a sophisticated new wood grain-style dashboard trim.

Body and Chassis Upgrades

The 2017 Accord Hybrid's sportier design is matched by its improved dynamic performance. High body rigidity is complimented by new high performance dampers and a retuned electric power steering system that delivers even more linear and precise response. All Accord Hybrid models are fitted with Amplitude Reactive Dampers with newly-tuned internals for a more supple, yet controlled ride, and new Straight Driving Assist technology that helps reduce the driver's workload when driving on a crowned or canted road surface.

Display Audio with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

The 2017 Accord Hybrid audio and digital experience is also significantly upgraded with the application of a new 7-inch touchscreen Display Audio interface (EX-L and above trims) featuring Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, as well as newly available HondaLink Assist (e911) and HD Radio®. Smartphone pairing is now simplified with a single USB cable connection, no longer requiring an HDMI cable connection. The new Display Audio system serves as the interface for new Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, offering a multitude of new functions and features, including smartphone-linked navigation (Apple Maps or Google Maps), audio streaming, voice-controlled SMS text messaging and more.

The lower 7-inch Display Audio touchscreen is paired with an upper 7.7-inch display screen and steering-wheel controls. The upper screen can display audio settings, turn-by-turn directions (from embedded navigation, when so equipped, or from Android Auto or Apple CarPlay navi apps), time and trip information (e.g. range, trip distance), LaneWatch and Rearview Camera displays, incoming calls, SMS text messages, and parking sensor alerts.

2017 Accord Hybrid Major Engineering Changes and Feature Upgrades

Body and Chassis
  • Increased body rigidity courtesy of multiple new stiffeners, a thicker front shock tower bar and sturdier rear bulkhead
  • Retuned electric power steering
  • Amplitude Reactive Dampers

Exterior
  • New, more dynamic front and rear styling
  • Restyled aluminum hood
  • Rear deck spoiler
  • Expanded application of LED lighting
  • New exterior color options and interior decoration
  • Rain-sensing wipers (Touring)
  • Front and rear parking sensors (Touring)
  • Side sill garnish (Touring)

Interior
  • Remote engine start
  • HondaLink Assist
  • 7-inch touch screen Display Audio system (EX-L)
  • Expanded application of SiriusXM Radio (added to EX-L) Android Auto and Apple CarPlay (EX-L and Touring)New HD Radio (EX-L and Touring)
  • 7-inch touch screen Display Audio+ with Navi system (Touring)
  • Heated rear seats (Touring)

Safety and Driver Assistive
  • Honda Sensing
  • Auto High-Beam headlights (Touring)
  • Front and rear parking sensors (Touring)

Powertrain

The 2017 Accord Hybrid features a significantly reengineered second-generation two-motor hybrid powertrain. The new hybrid powertrain benefits from numerous changes that reduce the physical size and weight of components while increasing efficiency, performance and cargo capacity. Total combined horsepower is up 16 horsepower to 212 HP and EPA fuel economy ratings are 49/47/48 mpg (city/highway/combined)1. These EPA fuel economy ratings are based on the new more stringent ratings requirements enacted by the U.S. EPA for the 2017 model year and cannot be directly compared to the figures for earlier model Accords or competing vehicles. Nevertheless, when compared using the same criteria, the 2017 Accord Hybrid bests the 2014/2015 model in all ratings.

Advanced Safety Performance

In keeping with Honda's commitment to safety, the 2017 Accord Hybrid is the first Honda vehicle to have as standard equipment the Honda Sensing suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies. Honda Sensing is designed to expand the driver's situational awareness while sensing and responding to potential road hazards, including other vehicles, road obstacles and even pedestrians, even to the point of mitigating the possibility or severity of a collision.

The 2017 Accord Hybrid is expected to receive the highest safety ratings – a 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score from the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and a TOP SAFETY PICK+ rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), including a GOOD rating in all crash modes.

The Accord Hybrid incorporates Honda's next-generation Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure, designed to more efficiently absorb and disperse the energy from a frontal collision, along with new ultra-high-strength door rings designed to help better protect occupants.

Standard safety and driver-assistive features include four-channel anti-lock brakes (ABS) with Brake Assist and Hill Start Assist; Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with Traction Control; an Expanded View Driver's Mirror; dual-stage, multiple-threshold front airbags, driver and front passenger side airbags and side-curtain airbags for all outboard seating positions; and Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).

Engine Type : i-VTEC, in-Line 4-Cyl., Atkinson Cycle

Displacement : 1,993 cc

Horsepower (SAE net) : 143 @ 6,200 rpm

Torque (SAE net) : 129 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm

Hybrid Electric Motors : AC Synchronous Permanent-Magnet

Horsepower (SAE net) : 181 @ 5,000-6,000 rpm

Torque (SAE net) : 232 lb-ft @ 0-2,000 rpm

Total System Horsepower : 212 @ 6,200 rpm

Transmission : Electronic Continuously Variable Transmission (E-CVT) with Sport Mode

Front Suspension : MacPherson Strut

Rear Suspension : Multi-Link

Steering : Electric Power-Assisted Rack-and-Pinion (EPS)

Brakes : Power-Assisted Ventilated Front Disc/Solid Rear Disc

Tires : All Season, 225/50 R17 94V

Wheelbase : 109.3 in

Length : 194.1 in

Height : 57.5 in

Width : 72.8 in

Track (front/rear) : 62.4 in / 62.7 in

Curb Weight (base) : 3483 lbs

Cargo Volume : 13.5 cu ft

Passenger Volume : 103.2

EPA Fuel Economy Ratings (City/Highway/Combined) : 49 / 47 / 48

Fuel Capacity : 15.8 gal
Old 06-16-2016, 01:05 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
A bit of weird math (or typo) when it comes to HP 143+181 = 212?
Old 06-16-2016, 01:53 AM
Team Owner

and the torque too.

can someone tell me what does " New, more dynamic front and rear styling "mean?

hopefully Honda will build more than just 20 of them this time because it is actually a good car. I would take that over Camry, Sonata, Altima hybrid any day.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:01 AM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
I was actually considering a used '14 EX-L Hybrid if my daily commute didn't change.

I think it's better than the other midsize hybrid options..it doesn't seem like a total penalty box.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:25 AM
_

Originally Posted by biker
How's the math weird?

143 HP + 181 HP - All Season tires = 212 HP
Old 06-16-2016, 10:26 AM
AZ Community Team

The torque and HP peaks are different for the electric and gas motors. Most hybrid manufacturers do not simply sum them.
They overlay the graphs and find the integrated peak for torque and HP.

and the torque too.

can someone tell me what does " New, more dynamic front and rear styling "mean?

hopefully Honda will build more than just 20 of them this time because it is actually a good car. I would take that over Camry, Sonata, Altima hybrid any day.
see above.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:50 AM
Team Owner

But that is how they calculated RLX SH's HP # and NSX's. Just add it on top of it.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AZuser
How's the math weird?

143 HP + 181 HP - All Season tires = 212 HP
Honda's bhp is superior. So 212hp = around 300hp for others.
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (06-17-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 12:14 PM
AZ Community Team

But that is how they calculated RLX SH's HP # and NSX's. Just add it on top of it.
Honda and Acura did not do that with NSX, and AFAIK they did not with the RLX either.
They've been pretty consistent with their spec'ing method for hybrid drivetrain being the power/torque integration.

2017 Acura NSX Specifications and Features - Specs & Features - Honda News

NSX combined HP 573, the four motors are 500, 2 x 36, 47 which summed are 619

Electric motors have phenomenal low end torque (pretty flat torque curve up to their max. RPM)
Old 06-16-2016, 12:26 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea, I know Ferrari, Porsche, and McLaren pretty much just add all the engine and motor hp and call it a day.

But Honda doesn't do that, along with some other manufacturers.

Other than the NSX as mentioned by Legend2TL, the RLX is another example:

Engine: 310hp
Front Motor: 47hp
Rear Motor 1: 36hp
Rear Motor 2: 36hp
Total: 429hp
Actual Rating: 377hp.

This is why I said that if Acura were to just sum up the figures with the NSX, it would be at 619hp. But it doesn't work that way.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:37 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Yeah, but at least those are in the ball park (429 vs 377 for RLX and 619 vs 573 for NSX) but this is 324 vs 212. I think that's a typo and the electric motor is supposed to be 81 not 181. 181 sounds way too high for the electric motor anyway.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:46 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Yeah, but at least those are in the ball park (429 vs 377 for RLX and 619 vs 573 for NSX) but this is 324 vs 212. I think that's a typo and the electric motor is supposed to be 81 not 181. 181 sounds way too high for the electric motor anyway.
Yeah, that sounds about right.

It only kind of matters. People getting the Accord Hybrid likely don't care anyway.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:06 AM
_

181 HP from electric motor isn't a typo. Legend2TL is correct. Honda states that the 212 HP is the "Total system horsepower as measured by the peak, concurrent output of the electric motor and gasoline engine"

More info on the powertrain

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Press Kit - Powertrain - Honda News

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Press Kit - Powertrain

Jun 15, 2016

Offering a significant powertrain upgrade from the previous Accord Hybrid, the 2017 model features the second-generation Intelligent Multi-Mode Drive (i-MMD) two-motor hybrid powertrain. This sophisticated, refined and seamlessly operating system further extends the Accord Hybrid's advantages over its competitors with even more power and fuel efficiency.

Honda's second-generation i-MMD uses a two-motor hybrid approach with three operating modes – EV Drive, Hybrid Drive and Engine Drive – responding to the demands of the driver while maximizing fuel efficiency. Under most conditions, the vehicle operates in Hybrid Drive mode, in which the gasoline engine operates as a generator, supplying electric power to the hybrid batteries, with motive power supplied by the electric propulsion motor. Under certain conditions, the Accord Hybrid can operate on electric power only, with the engine shut off. In Engine Drive Mode, used mainly during medium- to high-speed cruising, the vehicle can operate on gasoline engine power only.

Changes to the two-motor i-MMD for the 2017 Accord Hybrid include upgrades to the gasoline engine, electric generator, electric motor, Power Control Unit (PCU), Intelligent Power Unit (IPU) and lock-up clutch. These second-generation refinements reduce weight, size and complexity, and increase power and efficiency, all of which have packaging and performance benefits. Furthermore, to enhance the fun factor, the i-MMD includes a new Sport mode.

The result of the 2017 Accord Hybrid's cutting-edge powertrain technology is a fun-to-drive character, aided by a new Sport mode and an 8.2 percent increase in total system power to 212 horsepower (as measured by the peak, concurrent output of the two electric motors and gas engine), coupled with fuel efficiency unmatched in its segment. The Accord Hybrid has EPA fuel economy ratings of 49/47/48 mpg (city/highway/combined) – giving it by far the best-in-class ratings for midsize hybrid sedans. These EPA fuel economy ratings are based on new, more stringent ratings requirements enacted by the U.S. EPA for the 2017 model year.

Two-Motor Intelligent Multi-Mode Drive (i-MMD) Hybrid System Features

Engine
  1. 2.0-liter, DOHC, i-VTEC® inline-four
  2. Gasoline engine output: 107 kW (up from 105 kW)
  3. i-VTEC® (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) + Electric VTC
  4. Regular unleaded fuel
  5. Drive-by-Wire Throttle System™
  6. Close-coupled dual bed catalytic converter
  7. 100,000+/- miles engine tune-up interval

Transmission
  1. Electric Continuously Variable Transmission (E-CVT)
  2. Maintenance-free Electric motor output: 135-kW (up from 124 kW)

Battery
  1. 1.3 kWh Li-Ion battery
  2. Eight-year/100,000-mile or ten-year/150,000 mile Li-Ion battery limited warranty, depending on the state of purchase/registration.

Others
  1. Electric-servo braking system
  2. 24-hour roadside assistance (during initial warranty period)

Second-Generation Intelligent Multi-Mode Drive (i-MMD) Two-Motor Hybrid System

The 2017 Accord Hybrid's second-generation i-MMD two-motor hybrid system is a highly efficient powertrain that selects the optimal drive operation under a wide range of driving conditions to combine a fun-to-drive character with excellent fuel efficiency. Detailed energy management for each component, as controlled by the Power Control Unit (PCU), enables this system to make the best use of both the elTo help maximize efficiency on the road, the Accord Hybrid seamlessly shifts between three distinct drive operations: EV Drive (100 percent electric motor), Hybrid Drive (electric motor and gasoline engine [driving the generator motor]) and Engine Drive (gasoline engine). The Accord Hybrid's powertrain shifts seamlessly and smoothly among the three driving operations, utilizing power from the Atkinson-cycle i-VTEC® 4-cylinder engine and the electric motor to suit the driving conditions moment to moment. An animated visual display of current operation power flow, including regeneration, can be displayed on the Multi-Information Display (MID) in the center of the instrument cluster.

EV Drive Operation

All-electric drive EV Drive operation occurs when starting from a stop, during light cruising and acceleration, and when braking. The gasoline engine is off when the i-MMD is in EV Drive mode and is decoupled from the drivetrain to reduce friction.

Hybrid Drive Operation

The electric propulsion motor alone powers the front wheels, as the gasoline engine (decoupled from the drive wheels) powers the electric-generator motor, which in turn provides power to the battery pack. This allows the gas engine-generator motor combo to supplement the battery by providing added electrical power to the propulsion motor or, alternatively, to charge the battery. In this type of operation the system works as a "series hybrid." The electric propulsion motor offers crisp acceleration, and can reach maximum torque almost instantaneously, thanks to electrical power that can be supplied from both the gas engine-powered motor/generator and the battery.

Engine Drive Operation

When cruising at medium to high speeds, the high-efficiency Atkinson-cycle i-VTEC gasoline engine provides propulsion via a new higher capacity lock-up clutch, which connects the generator motor (always linked to the engine) and the electric drive motor, effectively sending motive power directly from the engine to the drive wheels. In this type of operation the system works as a "parallel hybrid" where both the gasoline engine and, when required – for instance upon quick acceleration – the electric propulsion motor, both provide power to the wheels. The i-MMD powertrain operates without the use of a conventional transmission.

2.0-liter Inline 4-cylinder Atkinson Cycle Engine

The 2017 Accord Hybrid's second-generation i-MMD system utilizes a 2.0-liter DOHC i-VTEC 4-cylinder Atkinson Cycle engine that develops a peak 143 horsepower at 6200 rpm and 129 lb.-ft. of torque at 4000 rpm, up from 141 horsepower and 122 lb.-ft. in the previous model. These increases were the result of engine control tuning that together with other technologies combine to create excellent power characteristics, exceptional fuel efficiency and very low exhaust emissions. This clean-running engine meets LEV3- AT-PZEV(SULEV30)/Interim Tier3 Bin30 emission standards, while contributing to the Accord Hybrid's total system output of 212 HP, an 8.2 percent increase from the first-generation i-MMD's output of 196 horsepower. The Accord Hybrid Sedan has an EPA fuel economy rating of 49/47/48 mpg city/hwy/combined. These EPA fuel economy ratings are based on new, more stringent ratings requirements enacted by the U.S. EPA for the 2017 model year. Based on the new requirements, Honda estimates the 2015 Accord Hybrid ratings would be 48/45/47 (actually rated at 50/45/47 under the previous method), indicating a +1/+2/+1 increase for the 2017 model over the previous version.Since the gasoline engine can be decoupled from the rest of the hybrid powertrain, it only operates as needed. Depending on the state of battery charge and other parameters, the engine will automatically shut off during deceleration and when the vehicle is at a stop or operating under battery power. When needed, the gasoline engine restarts automatically, without action from the driver.

Engine Block, Crankshaft and Pistons

The engine has a displacement of 1993cc. Cast-in iron cylinder liners provide long-lasting durability. Each journal on the forged-steel crankshaft is micro-polished to reduce internal friction. To improve smoothness throughout the rpm range and help lower noise levels, the Accord Hybrid is fitted with an internal balancer unit. Consisting of a pair of chain-driven counter-rotating shafts located in the oil pan, the balancing system helps quell the inherent second-order harmonic vibrations that are normally associated with inline 4-cylinder engines.The 2.0-liter engine has cylinder bores offset by 6.0 mm from the crankshaft to help reduce piston-sliding friction. This gives the connecting rods a more favorable angle during each power stroke, which reduces side loading on the pistons and, in turn, improves efficiency. The lightweight pistons have a carefully optimized skirt design to minimize reciprocating weight, and reduced weight minimizes vibration and increases operating efficiency.

Cylinder Head and Valvetrain

The Accord Hybrid 4-cylinder engine has a lightweight cylinder head that is made of pressure-cast aluminum alloy. A silent chain drives dual overhead cams and four valves per cylinder. The cam drive is maintenance free throughout the life of the engine.To help boost fuel efficiency and power, the engine has a 3.4-degree included angle between the intake and exhaust valves. The narrow valve angle decreases the surface-to-volume ratio and helps create a flatter, more compact combustion chamber that reduces unburned hydrocarbon emissions. This combustion chamber shape and the precise control enables a high compression ratio of 13.0:1, yet the engine still operates on regular unleaded fuel.

i-VTEC Valve Control System

The Accord Hybrid's 2.0-liter DOHC 16-valve i-VTEC engine uses an advanced valve-control system to combine high power output with high fuel efficiency and low emissions. The system combines E-VTC (Electronic Variable Timing Control), which continuously adjusts the intake camshaft phase, with Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC), which changes the lift profile, timing and duration of the intake valves' operation.

High-Efficiency Dual Bed Catalytic Converter

A key contributor to the Accord Hybrid's excellent emissions performance is a single dual bed catalytic converter that replaces the previous engine's two converters. The new converter mounts directly to the front of the cylinder head, close-coupled for fast activation after the engine is started. It uses a thin-wall design that increases internal reaction area and improves efficiency. A high-efficiency exhaust system and the dual bed, high-density catalytic converter help the Accord engine meet stringent LEV3- AT-PZEV(SULEV30)/Interim Tier3 Bin30 standards, which require reduced greenhouse gases compared to lower standards.Eliminating the second catalytic converter, that was previously mounted downstream on the exhaust system, beneath passenger compartment floor, made room for the exhaust heat recovery device.

Heat Recovery Device

The new heat recovery device contributes to the second-generation i-MMD's efficiency by helping to reduce power-robbing friction particularly during initial cold weather operation. Located downstream on the exhaust system, the heat recovery device uses hot exhaust gas to warm engine coolant quicker, especially during cold weather conditions. This brings the engine up to normal operating temperature quicker, reducing internal friction and allowing the i-MMD to operate in electric mode earlier. This helps to achieve improved fuel efficiency during cold weather operation.

Electric Motors

The 2017 Accord Hybrid uses two electric motors, a propulsion motor that drives the wheels and a generator motor that produces electricity, both of which have been upgraded from the previous generation i-MMD for more power, smaller size and lighter weight.When in regenerative mode, the propulsion motor converts the kinetic energy of the decelerating vehicle into electrical energy to recharge the battery. Its operation is seamlessly coordinated with the Accord Hybrid's electric-servo braking system. (See Chassis Section for more information.) A separate generator motor is driven by the gasoline engine to generate electric energy to drive the propulsion motor when the vehicle is operating in Hybrid Drive Mode. This generator motor can also restart the gasoline engine when the vehicle is in idle-stop mode.Both motors utilize segment conductor winding, where the coil is inserted from the axial direction of the stator core, providing a denser and more compact stator than the previous motors' distributed winding arrangement, where the coil is inserted from inside the state core. This change enables the electric motors to be significantly smaller and more than 23 percent lighter than the previous motors.An additional improvement in the motors is the replacement of two larger rotor magnets with three smaller and lighter magnets. The three magnets are arranged in an arc pattern that creates six magnetic poles, which helps to improve torque multiplication.These changes result in significantly increased output performance. The propulsion motor's maximum power is raised by 14.8 horsepower to 181 horsepower and torque is increased by 6 lb.-ft. to 232 lb.-ft. The generator motor's power was raised to 142 horsepower from 140.8 with torque remaining at 62.7 lb.-ft.

Intelligent Power Unit (IPU)

The Accord Hybrid's intelligent Power unit (IPU), located behind the rear seat, packages a DC-DC converter and a 1.3 kWh Li-Ion battery pack that powers the Accord Hybrid's electric propulsion motor. Significant changes to the IPU provide the same capacity and output but in a much more compact and lighter package. This was achieved by utilizing VDA standard, high energy density Li-Ion battery cells, unifying the battery ECU and cell voltage sensor into one component and utilizing a single rather than dual cooling duct. These changes reduced the overall volume of the IPU by more than 30 percent to 2.26 cubic feet from 3.32 cubic feet and reduced the weight by almost 13 percent to 99.2 lbs. from 113.8 lbs.The battery pack is recharged by the propulsion motor operating in regenerative braking mode, and by the generator motor, which is powered by the gasoline engine. Battery temperature is controlled by a fan system that pulls air from the interior of the vehicle via vents located beneath the left rear seat bottom. The battery pack is covered by a special warranty that covers defects in material and workmanship for eight-years/100,000-miles or ten-year/150,000 miles depending on the state of purchase/registration.

Power Control Unit (PCU)

The Power Control Unit (PCU), which is the real brains of the i-MMD system, dictates the power management strategy of the two-motor hybrid system, including motor power and battery recharge. In addition, the PCU increases the electric voltage up to 700 volts, enabling the propulsion motor to realize output as high as 181 horsepower.As with many components of the second-generation i-MMD, the 2017 Accord Hybrid's PCU was upgraded. The new design reduced the component weight by 27 percent and reduced its size by almost 23 percent. This, in turn, increased the power density 25 percent by volume. The new floating structure of the PCU's reactor greatly reduced vibration and high frequency noise.Along with the greatly reduced size, overall i-MMD component packaging was improved by directly mounting the PCU to the transmission and utilizing a three-phase connector, which eliminated the need for the previous frame mounting bracket and connection cable.

Drive Force Transfer

The Accord Hybrid is not equipped with a conventional mechanical transmission. Instead, motive force transfer is accomplished through the interaction of the Accord Hybrid's gasoline engine and two electric motors. Coordinated by the IPU, this form of drive force transfer offers smooth and predictable acceleration matched with efficient low-rpm highway cruising when the gasoline engine is in operation. Gasoline engine shutdown is seamlessly integrated into the operation of the Accord Hybrid when appropriate.The drive force transfer system operates without the need for a torque converter, mechanical pulley or belt. It instead uses two motors for driving and generating power. The system is optimally and rapidly able to control both engine and electric motor rotation in order to deliver higher fuel efficiency and quicker engine response in each driving mode.When cruising at mid- or high-speeds in the high-efficiency range of the engine, a lock-up clutch is engaged, connecting the drive motor to the generator motor to transmit engine torque directly to the drive wheels as efficiently as possible. In EV Drive operation, when the battery-powered drive motor is used for either acceleration or regenerative braking, a clutch disengages the stopped gasoline engine from the drivetrain to eliminate efficiency loss from mechanical friction in the engine.Improving efficiency and reducing weight and size, the drive force transfer system of the second-generation i-MMD integrates the torque limiter within the flywheel.

Automatic Modes

The transmission, with its console-mounted straight-gate shifter, can be operated in two different fully automatic modes. The D (Drive) mode is ideal for most driving situations, and combines fuel efficiency with smooth operation and responsive power when needed. The B (Brake) mode offers substantially increased regenerative braking to assist in more efficient hybrid operation and therefore increased fuel efficiency.

Sport Mode

For the first time the 2017 Accord Hybrid includes a sport mode that provides a more engaging driving experience by adding more battery assist to the propulsion motor for increased acceleration performance. It combines a sportier response to driver input with exhilarating acceleration feel. Sport mode is activated by pressing on the SPORT button located below the transmission straight-gate shifter and can be used in either Drive or Brake mode. A green SPORT icon lights on the instrument panel in this mode.

EV Button

Immediately behind the shifter is an EV button that lets the driver select purely electric operation. A green EV icon lights on the instrument panel in this mode. When the battery charge is sufficiently depleted, EV Mode is automatically cancelled and the gasoline engine will automatically restart to recharge the battery in Hybrid Drive operation or Engine Drive operation.

Electric Engine Accessories

The Accord Hybrid's engine accessories operate electrically, both for maximum efficiency and to allow their operation whether the gasoline engine is running or not. The air conditioning compressor and water pump are both powered by the electrical system. In addition, the Accord Hybrid has Electric Power Steering (EPS), which eliminates the traditional hydraulic power steering pump and its associated maintenance and energy costs. (See Chassis Section for more information.)

Last edited by AZuser; 06-17-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:23 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I see what you mean about the gap (i.e. 322hp vs 212hp).

The Accord hybrid system is different than the RLX and NSX though. so a like for like comparison wouldn't apply.

A more similar comparison can be made with the Camry Hybrid.

For the Camry:
Engine: 156hp
Motor: 141hp
Total System Power: 200hp

If you just add the engine and motor outputs together, you'd get 297hp.

You see a similar gap between for the Camry too (297hp vs 200hp).

With 181hp from the motor, it means that the Accord Hybrid can rely on EV mode for acceleration up to over 60mph effortlessly, assuming there's enough juice in the battery.

Quick Reply: Honda: Accord News