BMW: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
I don't have much confidence in this voluntary recall when they're still using the same pumps that have been failing before.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alex2364
This story is making national TV news tomorrow. Good Morning America and Nightline are doing a story on it.
Originally Posted by ELITE TYPE S
BMW Announces Voluntary N54 Engine (HPFP) and X5 Recall
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447263
Old 10-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I don't have much confidence in this voluntary recall when they're still using the same pumps that have been failing before.

Also what brand of gas you putting in your car?

Reason i ask is that my buddies who use Shell havent had issues with their pumps. One guy has 35k miles with no problems as well.

Sucks though that BMW hasnt fixed this though after so many years. Its like the 2nd gen Acura tranny all over again.

At least the M3 is pretty reliable.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've been using whatever is the most convenient/cheapest. Usually it's Exxon. I've heard the stuff about different kinds of gas and ethanol.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:20 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by ELITE TYPE S
BMW Announces Voluntary N54 Engine (HPFP) and X5 Recall
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447263
If I'm reading this correctly, the 3 and 5 series x Drive models are NOT affected? Ie. 335xi, 535xi?

How can that be?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^it says '335i models' which i would assume includes 335i xDrive. anyway the xDrive sedans suck compared to RWD models

Last edited by ghttf; 10-26-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:34 AM
Senior Moderator

I've been using whatever is the most convenient/cheapest. Usually it's Exxon. I've heard the stuff about different kinds of gas and ethanol.

BMW even states to not use cheap fuel in the N54. My service department even has a huge sign saying which gasoline is recommended for the engine.

In Europe they dont seem to have fuel pump failures which could be due to the fact they get much better quality fuel than we do.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:34 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,823 Likes on 3,735 Posts
^
BMW should know the world's fuel supply varies, and they can't depend on the best fuel being used in their N54.
The pump is a faulty design, no matter how anyone slices it. They (BMW) need to get their act together, and come up with a permanant solution.

Any data on how all of this has effected the sales of these cars?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:08 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I heard about the recall this morning. Funny... All the annoying issues I've had, my HPFP hasn't failed.

I can't believe they going to use the same damn thing for the recall. That makes a lot of sense.

Mobil gas here (mostly)... I think it's seen a few stops at BP.

Does it make sense to go and get it replaced if it HASN'T failed?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
BMW even states to not use cheap fuel in the N54. My service department even has a huge sign saying which gasoline is recommended for the engine.

In Europe they dont seem to have fuel pump failures which could be due to the fact they get much better quality fuel than we do.
Do you know where I can get a list of recommended gas stations? I usually use Exxon or Shell.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:11 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by Scrib
Does it make sense to go and get it replaced if it HASN'T failed?
I don't think so. Just keep driving around with your fingers crossed.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:14 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I definitely don't want the SW upgrade if it's going to down tune my turbos (assuming I don't already have it).
Old 10-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
What I am not following is how they're calling this a "recall" yet there's no guarantee that the pump will be replaced? Wouldn't this fall more under a TSB-type of notification vs. an actual recall. There is an actual inspection that is to occue and IF the inspection determines a failure then you get the HPFP replaced vs. doesn't matter if it's broke or not, it will get replaced.

I'm confused. Seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Senior Moderator

DRIVING FROM THE FRONT

Why a new philosophy for BMW will keep the company at the forefront of the Premium market.

Beginning in 2011 we will see the first results of this strategy within the new BMW 1er Sporthatch and BMW 3er Sedan which will be unveiled just before the end of 2011.
Another new exciting additions for the M-Division include the exciting new 1 series M Coupe and the sixth generation BMW M5.

The Premium market will welcome a new luxury set of BMW 6er Coupe and Convertible. Whilst the first evidence of the Gran coupe will be seen on the streets of Munich.
The new BMW X3 begins it's first year on the market with additional engines in europe along with a new four cylinder petrol turbo which will be announced later in the year. The BMW X1 continues it's success with over 100,000 units sold and top place in the market with an additional M-Sport packet. And the long awaited US launch at the NYIAS in April.
The BMW X6 which recently celebrated it's three years launch in December 2007 will see a slight refresh life cycle improvement.

Although this is just the tip of the iceberg.
In 2011 you will get to hear more regarding BMW's innovative think-tank on sustainable future mobility as BMW begin preparing the world for it's innovative new Sub brand. New innovations Aswell as exciting new Concepts scheduled for Detroit , Geneva , Shanghai and Frankfurt. all to show BMW's leadership of the premium segment.

Nothing to fear from this B.rave N.ew W.orld.

As you know BMW have announced that between now and 2015 they will bring 20 new models to the market covering a vast range of segments.
With the future growth of the small compact city , Premium Compact and Premium Entry segments in the minds of the product planners. BMW will unleash a greater majority of models based on this model matrix to increase it's volumes in the Premium segment. With the Compact /MINI , Premium Compact and Premium Entry classes BMW have invested in their future.
These three segments are the ones that wiill show considerable growth than any other segment. Which is why BMW have invested specifically within these segments over the past few years and why BMW who will be the first manufacturer to showcase this new future strategy, it is BMW once again showing everyone “who is the leader”.

It is true that a variety of models will be created off the new modular structure BMW has invested in to accomodate both the 1er and 3er and the MINI and Compact. But with being modular you can add and subtract , increase length and width and so on. This will help BMW distinguish each model – This is not the VW one platform many models. this is like Meccano you build to your desire or subtract to your required needs.
This helps greatly for the chassis engineers because they can adapt their chassis to the model that will be on top. ” The platform is described as one head with many hats".

Front Wheel drive will not only allow BMW and MINI to co-exist in engineering it will also propell BMW further in meeting emissions target, to which BMW is almost there with our competitors still facing to meet reductions by about 42 and 45% respectively. In Europe the C-segment MPV market is increasing but when looking at the availablity you are left with a Van with windows. For BMW that is an un-tapped market and there is a market for such a BMW but done in a more stylish direction. The FAST Family Activity Sport Tourer is a mixture of Touring , MPV and an X model it is an entirely new concept but it looks great , very innovative aswell as uber stylish.

It's What?, No Really...

When Norbert Reithofer. BMW's chairman of the Board announced that 80% of BMW owners thought that their BMW 1er was front wheel drive , many were astounded at that statement when it was mentioned regarding BMW's shock-announcement of it's intentions into Front wheel drive. As many , the world over believe that the concept of Front Wheel drive in a BMW is not only sacreligious and blasphemy but something that BMW had fought to distinguish their cars from their competitors.
Till the latest winter photographs and videos of people across the world trying to get mobile by either equipping their front wheels with snowchains or trying to clear a path for the front wheels, getting nowhere sometime to hilarious and expected consequences. Norbert Reithofer was therefore justified in his statement.

Looking at BMW Differently...

BMW are not just going Front Wheel Drive to further eclipse their emissions targets. But to provide a profitable strategy by developing a new platform structure , modular in form to accomodate both MINI and BMW.
First of all contrary to media reports and enthusiasts of the BMW brand , Front Wheel Drive is part of a strategy to help the next generation MINI and it's future variants to become more profitable and more cost effective for BMW to produce.

Initial strategies in the beginning had lead to talks with PSA , Fiat and of course Daimler where the beginnings of a proposed MINI and Smart sharing programme disintegrated when BMW decided to go it alone.

No Reasons to Panic

When I say Front wheel Drive BMW the panic sets in and goes against BMW's core marketing message: Image , Dynamics and Rear Wheel Drive.
Some journalists have pointed out that the new 1er is Front Wheel Drive and so is the 3er and so will this eventually and so on.
The new BMW 1er which will be seen in a few months time remains Rear Wheel Drive, The new BMW 3er which will debut in November also remains Rear Wheel Drive.

What the Front Wheel Drive BMW consist of however is a range of small concepts designed to appeal to a growing demographic in the demand for more compact premium concepts.

A New World of Difference: The Concepts.

BMW Compact
BMW Compactive Sport Gran Tourer
BMW F.amily A.ctivity S.ports T.ourer

First of all will see the new BMW Compact. BMW's interpretation of a Front Wheel Drive city car or a MINI. You will have typical BMW design elements but reinterpreted to give a new impression of a totally different idea of a BMW. In order for the concept to appeal it has to be eye-catching and stand out amongst it's competitors.

A Sexy Kind of Blasphemy.

The overall shape of the car differs completely from the typical MINI or conventional 3dr hatch format , the closest intention on the market today is possibly the Honda CR-Z but not directly.
In order to really sell home the concept. BMW wants the car to really strike out not just from the MINI but also it's competition.

The designers have gone for an edgier three-dimensional appearance in it's explanation it forgoes the use of lines to enhance wheelarches and now becomes more Three-Dimension as it is now stamped so you can see the widening of the rear quarter.

One idea intended to signify the new direction for BMW is expanded design cues talked about previously such as an enclosed normal glasshouse that is pushed inwards allowing the metal around the rear to enclose the glasshouse allowing a line that curves around the rear window forming the typical BMW kink impression in metal instead of the glass that swipes strikingly through the doors to the front wing.
The A-Pillars follow the direction shown with the Vision Efficient Dynamics concept and continue down into the front wing leaving a typical BMW wheel at each corner look , triangular shaped lights sit upon each corner of the rear. The roof is towards the rear a typical BMW sloping roof.

With the typical BMW double round headlights stepped with one slightly below the other another idea is the inclusion of indicator signals directly underneath the angel eyes.
The front of the car gets a smaller twin kidney grille again more three-dimensional as the front of the car allows the grille to be pushed further back.

The stand-out stylish design has been chosen to really signify the new direction , a regular typical hatch would not be a major selling point to deliver the concept.

The BMW Compactive Gran Sport Tourer - Fullfills the need for a segment BMW have not yet targeted mainly the multi-purpose vehicle segment which is expected to see sales rises from 45% per year. BMW plan a two prong attack but will not offer a typical MPV concept in which some look like Vans with additional windows.
what BMW intend to offer is a raised Five Dr hatch-Tourer concept with a raised driving position , stretched wheelbase with room for five made possible by positioning the engine transversely and removing the transmission tunnel.
It will not be a Five Dr variant of the compact. It will inherit a very unique design.
[/FONT

The BMW F.amily A.ctivity S.port T.ourer is seen as a more Sporty orientated synergy of a Touring MPV and an X model. Again it will be uniquely designed , look sporty.
Like the Mega City Vehicle , the car will feature rear-hinged doors for access to the cabin The concept has proved successful in presentations that BMW have commenced work on a 3er F.A.S.T. But will be Rear/All Wheel Drive.

Can the BMW Compact and MINI co-exist ?

The key to this is a brand new compact platform shared with the MINI that if the first outcome is successful then BMW might consider a further range of models to support it's new segment.
This new Platform which has been engineered to support the MINI and BMW 1001 Compact will be used within each Brands variants. MINI of course will be the first to expand and after an establishment period has indicated that BMW's concept was a success then BMW's design teams have on the table a range of additional concepts for the expansion. Another key to the cost effectiveness of the car is that engines will also be shared as well manual,automatic and electric drivetrains. Engines will also be shared ranging from three and Four cylinders in both petrol and diesel format.

In distinguishing both cars visually another key factor for BMW is the driving characteristics and how the engineers will go to lengths to make sure that both MINI and the BMW Compact offer an individual driving experience that distinguishes both cars.
The MINI of course will retain it's typical MINI Go-Kart trademark handling whilst BMW will be looking for a more dynamic approach , both levels of dynamics for both cars are attainable.

The BMW Front Wheel Drive Family will not be transferred to the core BMW family – that will remain RWD. I have seen the Family and they are nothing like what you expect such a car to be , Adrian Van Hooydunk has seen to that they emulate a very different persona and offer the new direction a striking modern appearance.

One thing I should mention though is that they all maintain a “premium” image. Throughout the FWD process premium is still associated with the concepts BMW will introduce.
The Audi A1 which is based on the VW Polo shows what happens when you chase for growth without thinking about the product. The Polo is not only less expensive than the A1 it also drives and rides better and the German media have made that point. Both BMW and MINI can co-exist and that is why BMW will not make the same mistake – Premium has to be individual from mainstream or it does not work with the customer.

Why the need for a Premium Front wheel drive Concept from BMW?

The recent recession taught us that customers are willing to downsize to other segments if there vehicles offer the same luxuries and features as traditional luxury concepts. The prime example being MINI where in some markets for MINI sales were actually rising it was only to further examination that a higher majority of these cars were being built with nearly every option available maximising profits for MINI and showing that customers were willing to move to more efficient vehicles but with the same level of comforts and luxuries.

The online enthusiast board reaction has been to overwhelm the negatives of the BMW philosophy but some overlook one very important ideal - BMW already do Front Wheel Drive and do it well , a car that has seen off new impressive competition such as the Fiat 500 and Audi A1 when it comes to make a Front Wheel drive car that handles , has a great image and offers the customer a perfect choice of flexibility. It is called the MINI.

So many people seem to forget that.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473065
Old 01-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
OMG, the sky is falling - BMW is going the Honda way and making sporty FWD cars.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I think I'd rather have some sort of all-wheel drive ... Even if it was a quasi-AWD and not something like Quattro.

But FWD is probably also cheaper ... But with all that crap up front you're looking at different designs than what a RWD car looks like, no?

Transverse mounted engines versus longitudinally, etc ...
Old 01-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Senior Moderator

I think the idea is they want to offer Mini-like cars for city drivers who want compact cars.

Plus gain profits of course.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't be surprise if Infiniti follows BMW in the coming year and offer FWD again since Infiniti is a big competitor to BMW. It's going to be harder for Infiniti to pull it off though since that has always been a big differentiator between Nissan and Infiniti. If they do it right without making it a glorified Nissan then I think Infiniti can pull it off. Might get MB involved on it too.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Senior Moderator

What i dont get is.. if theres a market for this then why doesnt the Audi A3 sell well?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Race Director

^ in Europe it does. It's a brand thing in the US.

When Norbert Reithofer. BMW's chairman of the Board announced that 80% of BMW owners thought that their BMW 1er was front wheel drive , many were astounded at that statement when it was mentioned regarding BMW's shock-announcement of it's intentions into Front wheel drive.
That figure is still amazing - just goes to show how little people know or care which wheels drive the car.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by biker
^ in Europe it does. It's a brand thing in the US.

That figure is still amazing - just goes to show how little people know or care which wheels drive the car.
Exactly, that is a main reason why Audi has such trouble and struggles to sell their products in this country. I always find it laughable when Audi fanatics on here put that company on the level of MB, BMW, and Lexus yet criticize Acura to know end despite the fact that even though Audi has a more balanced line-up and offering then Acura does, it suffers from similar problems that Acura does in the luxury community with brand recognition, sales, reliability, dealership experience, etc.

It's also interesting to note that when people claim Acura needs a more balanced line-up to compete properly, that doesn't necessarily mean they will b/c as I just said, look at Audi, they have a line-up similar to BMW, MB, and Lexus yet do not have sales or the reputation even close to what the other three do and on top of that they still have the largest amount of reliability problems compared to MB and BMW so having a balanced line-up doesn't necessarily mean anything. Plus, Acura is still selling more than Audi even without that and the fugly noses.

Its a shame b/c personally, I like Audi's designs the best of the big German 3. BMW though is beginning to finally get some designs I might take a look at though.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
^ Shocking, 80% of people buy a BMW solely for the badge.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:51 PM
My first Avatar....

Will there be any RWD cars left?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl
Will there be any RWD cars left?
It says right there in the article that the 1 series and 3 series will continue to be RWD. I make the assumption that the 7, 6 and 5 will all remain RWD since they've all been recently redesigned.

So to answer your question yes.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Exactly, same is said for MB and even Lexus to a certain extent. But then that must mean Audi does not have the brand recognition or "badge name" that BMW, MB, and Lexus do.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,653 Likes on 13,892 Posts
BMW: Vision ConnectedDrive news

Press release...

At the beginning of the 1970s BMW began work on networking the vehicle with the outside world and networking the vehicle’s own systems with each other in order to realise innovative information, communication and assistance systems. Since those early days, enormous progress in networking has been made - progress that was primarily driven forward by the creative, innovative strength of the BMW Development Engineers. Many of these innovations such as the Park Distance Control or the Integrated Navigation System have set standards for the entire automotive industry.

Today, BMW ConnectedDrive is the epitome of intelligent networking of driver, vehicle and the environment. In the meantime, the BMW ConnectedDrive product portfolio includes numerous innovative features which considerably raise the level of comfort during the journey, allow Infotainment to be experienced in a whole new dimension and which significantly increase the level of safety for people both inside BMW automobiles and for those in the vicinity.

The BMW Vision ConnectedDrive concept study extrapolates the principle of intelligent networking of driver, vehicle and the outside world into the future. The vehicle is transformed perfectly naturally into a fully integrated part of the networked world and sets new standards in future comfort, infotainment and safety features. The BMW Vision ConnectedDrive shows most impressively the potential that BMW ConnectedDrive technologies hold for the future. The
concept study should be viewed as a sculpture, as a vision, giving these innovative technologies and forward-looking ideas physical form, portraying them and breathing life into them. Please visit www.visionconnecteddrive.de
on the Web or www.visionconnecteddrive.mobi via a mobile device for visual impressions and detailed information on the BMW Vision ConnectedDrive.

Design expresses networking

The overall theme of the emphatic design of the BMW Vision ConnectedDrive vehicle is “connect and network” and is divided into the three areas of safety, infotainment and comfort. The fundamental concept of BMW ConnectedDrive - the intelligent networking of driver, vehicle and the outside world - is expressed on four levels: the display and operating concept, an unparalleled light installation, the design itself and the integration of the whole concept into the multimedia setting of the stand at the motor show.

From the inside to the outside – the vehicle concept

The human being stands firmly in the focus of BMW Vision ConnectedDrive, more so than with any other vehicle. The vehicle and its functions have been designed to cater to the needs of the driver and the passenger - they are the starting point and the end of each and every interaction. This orientation towards the passengers is most obvious in the interior. Clear, enclosing symbolism divides the interior into three levels that could also be described as layers or shells. Each level expresses one of the three themes of BMW ConnectedDrive - comfort, Infotainment and safety - and integrates the appropriate functionality, operating panels and displays. By creating the three layers in the BMW Vision ConnectedDrive’s interior, the layering principle, something also well known from BMW Vision EfficientDynamics, has been consistently further developed. The term “layering” describes a new approach to the BMW Group’s concept of design and its design language, redefining the way surfaces, interfaces and materials have been treated in the past. By working with different layers, organic radii and surfaces, the layering concept breaks up large volumes like the instrument panel, thus creating free space for features such as ventilation, operating elements or trays. The result is a modern, organically aesthetic, light and emotional design.

Fibre optics in various colours define the three levels and formally underscore the differentiation between each distinct area. All three areas have a dedicated, individual light installation, each discerned by colour, but also by rhythm, motion and texture. When a feature is activated, the path taken by the information through the vehicle is illustrated by means of transparent surfaces and fibre optic lighting, quite literally highlighting the interaction between the environment, the vehicle and the driver in the context of BMW ConnectedDrive.

Safety - focussing on the vehicle’s primary task

The central area of safety symbolises the interaction between the driver and the environment with active safety measures such as driver assistance systems. These are features that enable the vehicle to pass information relevant to safety on to the driver. Very clearly outlined, the first level encompasses the driver in the interior of the vehicle like a ribbon, thus defining his area of responsibility. To further aid clarification, red/orange fibre optic strands run from the sensors at the front of the vehicle, are routed very closely around the driver’s zone and continue to the rear lights. All of the lines of the first shell come together in the cockpit that is extended into the “cone of vision”, a transparent cone-shaped surface open to the driver on the bonnet. The cone of vision symbolises the driver’s focus on the road ahead and on the concentration of information that is flowing in the opposite direction, towards him.

The safety layer bundles all of the information and operating elements relevant to driving the vehicle as is characteristic and typical of BMW’s driver orientation. This is where the two instruments that provide the driver with access to the entire spectrum of relevant information are located. The windscreen is an integral part of the Head-Up Display and provides important current information about the journey - including speed, navigation instructions and fuel consumption - to the driver without him ever having to take his eyes off the road. In addition, if required, the freely programmable instrument cluster located in the scoop will provide extra in-depth information to supplement the Head-Up Display.

The orange fibre optic strands running below and alongside the cone of vision represent the safety-specific information flow in the direction of the driver and are the link between the sensors in the front and rear of the vehicle and the driver. Numerous sensors monitor the environment in front, behind and on both sides of the vehicle. These are capable of recognising people and other vehicles and pass relevant information to the driver. The entire front sensing system is integrated into the headlights, the “eyes” of the vehicle, scanning the space ahead. The same applies to the rear. The sensing system for monitoring the space behind the vehicle, including cameras, is integrated into the taillights.

[u]Infotainment - connection instead of isolation[u]

The second level, the infotainment level, encompasses the safety level and extends the sphere of action to the passenger. With an embracing gesture encompassing both seats, the Infotainment zone defines a communication level between the driver and the passenger and also spatially promotes active social exchange and the encounter between the two. In the Infotainment layer too, fibre optic strands outline the space. The receiving antenna with a Perspex cover is located between the two seats is the source of this blue-themed light installation. From the point of origin the information symbolised here by light flows to the information displays in the driver’s and passenger’s individual information zones via a yoke enclosing both seats.

The Passenger Information Display is mounted in the instrument panel in front of the passenger and is the gateway to the passenger’s world of entertainment. When it is inactive, it is invisibly integrated into the instrument panel. However touching the area below, which is covered with a transparent, conductive fabric, will bring it to life. Using the touch-sensitive area, the Infotainment features on the display can be manipulated and controlled at just the touch of a finger. Light sources in the fabric glow when touched and provide the passengers with feedback on their actions, i.e. the vehicle interacts with the passenger. The antenna, which can be seen under a Perspex cover in the middle of the vehicle behind the headrests, is the link between the BMW Vision ConnectedDrive and the world of Infotainment. This antenna does a very similar job to the well-established fin-shaped antennas mounted on production cars.

Comfort - communication between the vehicle and the environment

The third level comprises the vehicle itself and focuses on the communications level of the two passengers and the outside world, something central to BMW ConnectedDrive. In the BMW Vision ConnectedDrive, the connection between the vehicle and the environment is expressed primarily in the peripheral zone of the automobile. Instead of two wing mirrors, two fin-shaped antennas provide the link to the world of data. No matter whether navigation and traffic information or mobile Internet, these antennas either pick up information relevant to the comfort of the passengers and channel it to the interior of the vehicle or they transmit information to the outside world.

Since the vehicle itself acts as the link to the outside world, the green fibre optic strands depict the comfort layer around the entire vehicle. The light flows via the antennas into and out of the vehicle; the outside areas of the vehicle are particularly emphasised.

The division of the three levels is also reflected in the conception of the colours and materials. Seat shells, clearly separated from one another, in premium grey leather portray the first level and the individuality of the passengers while a ribbon of anthracite grey nubuck leather unites the two areas over the door and the instrument panel, depicting the second level. Interactive Silver, the colour of the exclusive exterior paintwork, is a light, smoky grey with a silk matt finish, stressing the technical character of the vehicle and accentuating the language of form. The consciously understated, achromatic colours accentuate the orange red, blue and green light installations, effectively highlighting the three levels.

The exterior design - a true BMW

As a two-seater roadster charged with emotion, the BMW Vision ConnectedDrive is a particularly dynamic, purist interpretation of the characteristic BMW language of form: the long bonnet, the long wheelbase and the passenger compartment set well back seem to accelerate the vehicle even at a standstill. The bonnet and the windscreen flow into one another to form a homogenous surface and endow the BMW Vision ConnectedDrive with an extraordinarily flat, sporting silhouette.

Within these tight roadster proportions, distinctive, concise lines flow over the taut surfaces of the vehicle’s bodywork. The resulting play of light and shadow imparts a fascinating and emotional character to this concept study. The expressive 20-inch wheels, fashioned in three dimensions, underscore the sporting, dynamic character of the vehicle.

The front of the BMW Vision ConnectedDrive manifests the typical characteristics of BMW design, with a strong horizontal orientation, stressing width. The kidney grilles and dual, round headlights have been designed in a particularly flat fashion and lend the front a dynamic, modern expression. Below these, two large air vents emphasise the width of the vehicle, giving it a decidedly sporty look.

The door concept is a particularly distinctive feature of the exterior of the BMW Vision ConnectedDrive. Developed with the innovative, electro-mechanical retracting door mechanism of the BMW Z1 in mind, which can be legally driven with its doors open, the idea has been extended and now finds application in the BMW Vision ConnectedDrive. Two sliding door elements - one inside, one outside - disappear into the bodywork of the vehicle when the door is opened, enabling entry. While the outer shell slides forward, the inner shell disappears into the rear area of the vehicle with a movement in the opposite direction. The BMW Vision ConnectedDrive can also be driven with the outer doors open, a central aspect of the vehicle.

The expressive, modern surface work evident at the front and on the sides of the vehicle is continued at the rear. Two large air outlets make the formal connection to the front and underline the sportiness of the vehicle at the rear. The rear lights, placed at the extreme outside of the back of the vehicle, feature the distinct BMW L-design and have a strong sculptural character. Just as at the front of the vehicle, the rear sensor technology is also integrated into the lights. The concept of layering used in the interior, in which a component takes on a number of tasks, is thus carried over to the exterior. The BMW Vision ConnectedDrive concept car was consciously designed as a roadster, as the vehicle is able to show its overall creative concept best by way of the open roadster design. Seen from above, the interior design, light concept and exterior design fuse into a very clear, unmistakable statement: BMW ConnectedDrive.

Changing perspectives - the Motor Show presentation

In order to do full justice to the BMW Vision ConnectedDrive at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show with all of its advances and innovations, the presentation not only includes the concept car itself thus but also a display of the vehicle on a large high-resolution LED screen. The motor show visitors thus experience the BMW Vision ConnectedDrive from two perspectives. At first, the vehicle drives through three virtual scenes, which highlight the features of the individual levels of safety, Infotainment and comfort. Any additional information made available to the passengers, via the Head-Up Display for instance, is embedded into this virtual presentation.

In the second scene, the perspective changes to a bird’s eye view. A part of the LED screen slides away, revealing a second actual physical model of the BMW Vision ConnectedDrive, integrated into the media wall. This “avatar technique”, a real actor in a virtual environment, makes the bird’s eye view possible and allows the visitors to better experience the events in and around the vehicle portrayed in the scenes specific to the three levels. The individual levels are thus presented to their best advantage by the light installations and the network that exists between the vehicle and its environment, unseen in practice, is rendered visible. The transparent surfaces, fibre optic cables and antennas demonstrate how the different information flows move, which paths they follow when specific events take place and how the vehicle is linked to the environment, the driver and the passenger.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 02-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
I think that thing looks BAD ASS
Old 02-11-2011, 06:35 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
interesting
Old 02-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Very cool....
Old 02-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Senior Moderator

BMW: ActiveE news

Press release...

With the world premiere of the BMW Concept ActiveE at the beginning of 2010, just a year after presenting the MINI E, the BMW Group underscored the rapid and consistent continuation of its intensive research and development activities in the field of electric mobility. This concept has now become perceptible and tangible reality in the form of the BMW ActiveE.

project i - research and development of tomorrow’s mobility.

The BMW ActiveE is the BMW Group’s next systematic step towards an emission-free, mass-produced electric vehicle. Within the framework of project i, the BMW Group is carrying out research and development work on the realisation of electrically powered vehicles. The main focus is on the concept of a Megacity Vehicle (MCV) that meets the demands of a sustainable mobility solution for congested urban areas. For this purpose, the BMW Group is conducting field tests on an internationally unparalleled scale for the use of purely electrically driven vehicles in everyday road traffic.

Ongoing field tests in the USA and Europe involving more than 600 MINI E cars are already providing vital knowledge about the demands on future electrically powered production vehicles. Starting in 2011 in the USA, Europe and China, a test fleet of over 1000 BMW ActiveE vehicles, produced at the Leipzig plant, will provide further valuable insights into the everyday use of the vehicle. The findings will serve to deepen the knowledge already gained on the everyday use of electric vehicles and to learn more about customer requirements. The feedback from customers testing the MINI E and the
BMW ActiveE will be fed directly into series production of the MCV, which the BMW Group will be launching under a new sub-brand in 2013.

With the BMW ActiveE, the BMW Group is extending field tests on electric mobility with a clear perspective of series-production capability and is intensifying research into electric mobility in everyday road traffic. For this reason, the drive components and energy storage units that will be used in the MCV are being tested on the BMW ActiveE at a pre-production stage. The knowledge gained will be fed directly into series development of the MCV. With the BMW ActiveE, the future of individual mobility combining driving pleasure with CO2-free driving is one step closer.

Electric mobility as a supporting pillar of the EfficientDynamics development strategy.

In the development of groundbreaking vehicle concepts and drive technologies within the framework of the EfficientDynamics strategy, the BMW Group attaches key importance to electric mobility. With EfficientDynamics the BMW Group has for some time now been very successful in reducing fuel consumption and emission levels through new and highly-efficient engine generations, enhancement of aerodynamics, the use of innovative lightweight construction and intelligent engine management - and with better performance into the bargain. For instance, CO2 emissions of the entire vehicle fleet were reduced by around one third in the years 1995 to 2009. Thanks to EfficientDynamics, the company is now able to realise additional economy advantages through the further electrification of the drive train and hybridisation. In the medium term, the BMW Group is developing vehicle concepts for emission-free mobility in larger urban areas. In the long term, EfficientDynamics means the transition to emission-free mobility - using both battery power and regeneratively produced hydrogen.

On the way to sustainable, CO2-free mobility, the BMW Group now presents the next major milestone - the BMW ActiveE. Following the MINI E, the BMW ActiveE is the BMW Group’s second electric prototype. With a power output of 125 kW/170 bhp and maximum torque of 250 Nm, the car accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 9 seconds, demonstrating the dynamic and agile characteristics of a BMW, and as is typical of electric vehicles, straight from a standstill. At the same time, newly conceived lithium-ion energy storage units facilitate a vehicle range of around 160 kilometres (100 miles) in everyday operation.

Just like the MINI E, the BMW ActiveE is a conversion car, an electric vehicle based on the body shell of a vehicle with a combustion engine. The BMW ActiveE integrates all electric drive components such as energy storage unit, electric motor and power electronics in a vehicle body that was not originally intended for this purpose - and without compromising on space or comfort in the interior. Therefore, the BMW ActiveE is the BMW Group’s first electric vehicle to offer four fully-fledged seats and a 200-litre luggage compartment. This achievement by BMW developers is even more impressive in terms of the vehicle’s role during the initial testing phase. The BMW ActiveE incorporates a pilot series version of the drive train and energy storage unit from the MCV with a partly identical, partly similar geometry in a vehicle from a different concept so that these components may undergo preliminary testing. However, except for a small scoop in the bonnet and a smaller boot, the exterior and the interior design is virtually the same as that of the series production vehicle.

Intelligent utilisation of construction space to ensure optimal functionality.

The BMW ActiveE is equipped with three large energy storage units that are positioned in the area where the engine block, power transmission to the rear wheels and the tank are to be found in a vehicle with a combustion engine. The drive train of the BMW ActiveE - i.e. the electric motor with gear and power electronics - directly on the rear axle in order to save space. Thanks to this measure, the BMW ActiveE corresponds to a conventional

BMW 1 Series Coupe with regard to available interior space. Driver and front-seat passenger as well as passengers at the rear have the same amount of space at their disposal as in the BMW 1 Series Coupe and do not have to suffer any disadvantages at all with regard to headroom, legroom or shoulder room. This is due to the ideal positioning of the power electronics, which are located for functional reasons above the rear-axle mounted electric motor. With a volume of 200 litres, the boot offers sufficient space for bottle crates or two 46-inch golf bags.

Crash safety has top priority.

Within the framework of the conversion of the BMW 1 Series Coupe into the BMW ActiveE, 350 newly developed body components, which are invisible to the observer, ensure that the car fulfils the same high standards with regard to crash safety, construction space and comfort as the original vehicle with a combustion engine. One of the major challenges in this respect was the intelligent integration of the energy storage units and drive components into the space made available due to the omission of combustion engine components. At the same time, it was necessary to ensure that the three large energy storage units located at the front end as well as the tunnel and tank could not be damaged or destroyed.

The front end: crash structure and energy storage units instead of a combustion engine.

In order to achieve the best possible range, the BMW ActiveE is the first limited production electric vehicle in which part of the high voltage storage units is integrated into the front end of the vehicle at the cowl. There, one of the three energy storage units of the BMW ActiveE takes up around half of the construction space normally occupied by the combustion engine. Extensive measures implemented in this area guarantee optimal passenger safety in the event of a crash and also ensure that the high-voltage storage unit, ancillary components and battery fluid containers remain undamaged. Hence the BMW ActiveE meets the same high safety standards as a BMW 1 Series with combustion engine, fulfilling not only crash safety requirements stipulated by the government, but also the stringent BMW corporate demands on passive safety, some of which are even higher than those required by law.

Construction space measures and weight optimisation.

In addition to passenger crash safety, BMW Group engineers focused in particular on the integration of the required battery capacity without having to compromise on interior space. Many of the well-thought-out solutions are to be found in the details. For example, a modified tunnel housing in the undercarriage facilitates a larger tunnel volume without reducing the amount of space available to passengers. In another area, a slightly modified centre console angle provides more construction space resulting in increased battery capacity.

Moreover, in order to increase the car’s range even further, it was necessary to keep the overall weight of the vehicle down to a minimum. The conversion concept sets certain limits for weight optimisation as the concept necessitates the incorporation of more parts, nevertheless the engineers working on the BMW ActiveE have managed to achieve the best possible reduction in weight. Throughout the entire development process, all new components were constantly optimised with regard to function and weight. Consequently, the BMW ActiveE offers the best possible solution in terms of weight reduction within the framework of a conversion concept. However, weight-optimised electric mobility can only be demonstrated in the form of a purpose-built car such as the MCV, as it is ideally adapted to the conditions and requirements of electric mobility.

The design: clearly a BMW, clearly a very special concept.

The BMW ActiveE is based on the BMW compact-class model known for its outstanding agility and efficiency - the BMW 1 Series Coupe. With its powerful-looking proportions, the BMW ActiveE stands for compact agility, the convex-concave design vocabulary giving the vehicle an even more dynamic appearance. However, specific visual interior and exterior accents give indication of the exceptional character of the purely electrically powered BMW. Silver coloured, circuit-inspired graphic elements on an Electric Blue background run over the entire Alpine White car body. The intentional asymmetry of the graphic elements gives the vehicle a uniquely distinctive and agile appearance, the blue shadowing providing additional depth.

Furthermore, the flowing design of the scoop in the bonnet differentiates the exterior design of the BMW ActiveE from a conventional BMW 1 Series Coupe. It provides space for the energy storage unit located beneath it. The completely closed rear apron is a distinctive feature of the BMW ActiveE. As the ActiveE does not have a combustion engine, there is no need for tailpipes and an exhaust system. Where the tailpipes are normally located, the BMW ActiveE boasts a silver-blue accentuating trim in the completely closed rear apron that indicates that the vehicle is free of emissions. Further differentiating features are the logo “ActiveE” on the back of the car and the “eDrive” logos on the side panels as well as the high-quality chrome kidney grille.

In order to increase the vehicle’s range even further, the BMW ActiveE rides on wheels of the latest generation of tyres with optimised rolling resistance. This results in a rolling resistance that is up to twenty percent lower compared to previous series production tyres. The wheels of the BMW ActiveE are complemented with by far the lightest 16-inch alloys by BMW and boast a double V-spoke design. A more sporty 17-inch aero wheel rim with a five-spoke design is also available.

In the interior the features of a BMW 1 Series Coupe are also combined with individual details that emphasise the unique BMW ActiveE concept. Blue contrasting seams accentuate the Dakota Leather seats in exclusive Pearl Grey. Dashboard and door linings are fitted with interior trim in Alpine White, which is available for the first time, and sport a high-quality “ActiveE” appliqué that transfers the exterior graphics into the interior of the car. The shift lever plaque in black and blue complements the overall graphic concept.

BMW eDrive - the BMW ActiveE’s control display concept.

The instrument cluster und the control system iDrive were adapted to the electric drive concept of the BMW ActiveE and enhanced by specific display functions. Instead of indicating the engine speed, the instrument on the right of the cluster shows the amount of energy being taken from the battery or the current amount being supplied to it through recuperation. When the vehicle is at a standstill, the middle position of the needle indicates that the vehicle is ready to drive, as the BMW ActiveE has no engine sound to inform the driver whether or not the engine is ready to be started. If the vehicle is not ready to drive, the needle rests at the bottom left of the instrument. The “fuel gauge” below it indicates the battery charge level. Furthermore, the onboard computer provides additional vital information such as the remaining vehicle range, for example.

The eDrive display functions on the Central Information Display depict vehicle energy flows to make electric mobility even more perceptible and comprehensible. During the journey an active schematic representation of the vehicle informs the driver whether energy is currently being taken from the battery or being fed in to it via recuperation. Moreover, the driver can see the current charge state of the battery and also check whether the air conditioning or the heating system is working. This representation can, if required, also be shown as a spilt screen to allow the simultaneous display of additional infotainment contents or the route guidance of the navigation system. When the vehicle is at a standstill, it is also possible to see on the display whether the vehicle is currently being charged or whether the battery and interior are being conditioned. In addition, a special battery information menu provides information on the battery energy level as well as the current and remaining vehicle range. During charging it also indicates the remaining charging time.

Optimum comfort, optimum efficiency - the ECO PRO Mode.

If the driver wishes to increase the range of the BMW ActiveE even further, it is now possible to do this via the ECO PRO Mode. As soon as the driver activates the switch on the centre console, the vehicle’s drive configuration and comfort functions are modified to facilitate an even more efficient driving style. Due to an adapted accelerator pedal characteristic, less power is demanded in the ECO PRO Mode than in the normal driving mode, but with the same pedal travel. Also, the heating and cooling characteristics of the heating and air conditioning systems have a flatter setting and therefore use less energy. The driver is also provided with tips on how to reduce energy consumption even further for the best possible motoring efficiency.

Emission-free, powerful and compact: the drive system of theBMW ActiveE.

The BMW ActiveE represents typical BMW driving pleasure in a new, emission-free form. The heart of the BMW ActiveE is the powerful electric synchronous motor, the components of which were designed with the requirements of the MCV in mind and which are now being tested in a pilot production series. Maximum power output of the electric drive system is 125 kW/170 bhp. Maximum torque of 250 Nm is - as is typical of electric vehicles - available from a standstill and, for the first time, remains utilisable across an exceptionally broad load range. As a result, the BMW ActiveE accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in just 9 seconds, the 60 km mark being reached in less than 4.5 seconds. Top speed is electronically limited at around 145 km/h (90 mph).

The permanent-magnet hybrid synchronous motor and the power electronics of the BMW ActiveE were developed entirely in-house and are characterised in this combination by exceptional efficiency, optimised power development and a compact design. The innovative character of the electric drive system is reflected above all in the relation between engine output and space requirement. The entire power pack including power electronics and transmission with differential is integrated into the modified rear-axle support of the BMW ActiveE, and with a 125 kW output, still has a total weight that falls below 100 kilograms.

Drive and slow down with the accelerator pedal.

Not only does the spontaneous response enhance the intensive driving experience in the BMW ActiveE, but also the possibility to slow down using the accelerator pedal. When the driver takes his or her foot off the pedal, the electric motor assumes the function of a generator that feeds the electricity gained from kinetic energy back into the vehicle battery. At the same time, braking torque is created, which effectively slows the vehicle down. In this way, the accelerator pedal becomes a “drive pedal”. In urban traffic around 75 percent of all deceleration processes can be performed without using the brake pedal. Intensive use of this so-called recuperation of energy via the motor also results in a range increase of up to 20 percent. Only when the driver wishes to slow the vehicle down faster by stepping on the brake pedal does the conventional braking system of the BMW ActiveE additionally intervene.

Gliding - “coasting” along the road.

Unlike the MINI E, the BMW ActiveE features a distinctive “intermediate position” of the accelerator pedal, allowing the vehicle to “glide”. As a result, the vehicle does not immediately recuperate when the driver decelerates, but “de-clutches” using the electric motor’s zero momentum control, thereby utilising its own kinetic energy to move forward. The BMW ActiveE then “glides” along the road without using energy. In addition to foresighted driving, gliding offers a most convenient way of increasing the vehicle’s range. A further result of the modification of the accelerator pedal characteristic curve is a significantly more precise pedal response and there are virtually no noticeable load changes.

Intelligent vehicle dynamics through Stability Management for Regeneration.

When the driver releases the accelerator pedal in order to slow down, the recuperative brake torque only has an effect on the rear wheels. For this reason the BMW ActiveE features an adapted drive-active vehicle dynamics interface, “Stability Management for Regeneration”, in order to also ensure adequate vehicle stability during recuperation. The familiar traction control system ASC and Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) have been adapted to the specific characteristics of the electric drive train. Based on various parameters, Stability Management for Regeneration adapts the recuperation level to each driving situation, combining the highest level of recuperation with best possible vehicle stability when decelerating in any situation. Should a situation arise that is critical for vehicle stability when using recuperative or hydraulic brakes, the optimised DSC function ensures constant vehicle stability by means of targeted intervention into the braking system and engine management. Furthermore, the ASC system ensures that the rear wheels are able to transfer the high torque of the electric drive into maximum propulsion when starting off.

Well-adjusted: the lithium-ion storage unit with its own liquid cooling system.

Specially developed lithium-ion storage cells ensure the energy supply of the drive system and all further functions of the BMW ActiveE. These high-voltage battery units excel above all through their high storage capacity. The BMW ActiveE features storage cells, which are being used for the first time and were jointly developed by the BMW Group and its associate partner SB LiMotive exclusively for automotive use. The technological competence of the cooperation partner SB LiMotive ensures that the high storage capacity and cycle stability of the lithium-ion batteries are also guaranteed under the exceptional conditions of automotive use and the associated demands with regard to lifespan, operational stability and safety.

With the BMW ActiveE developers are testing the storage cells and the storage electronics, which are to be installed later in the MCV. Combined into modules of six, eight or ten storage cells, they fit literally perfectly into the available construction space in the BMW ActiveE. Construction space, which is reserved in vehicles featuring a combustion engine for components the electrically powered BMW 1 Series Coupe does not require, is intelligently utilised. The large battery unit of the BMW ActiveE takes up the space in the lower area of the vehicle normally intended for the conventional drive train. In order to accommodate additional storage cells, the space at the rear that has become available through the omission of a fuel tank is utilised. Further lithium-ion cells are located at the front end in front of the cowl.

The BMW ActiveE’s three large storage modules are each protected by a specially constructed steel-plate battery housing with integrated liquid cooling system. The cooling system constantly maintains the ideal operating temperature of the energy storage units, thereby significantly contributing towards an increase in the service capability and lifespan of the battery cells. The air conditioning/heating system tempers the liquid running through the storage unit housing via a heat exchanger. If necessary, the liquid can also be heated in order to bring the energy storage units up to the ideal temperature of approximately 20° Celsius even during the winter.

Thanks to these measures, the BMW ActiveE achieves a range of around 160 kilometres (100 miles) with a full battery charge and auxiliary consumers switched on. According to the American consumption cycle FTP72, the vehicle has a range of up to 240 kilometres (150 miles). Intelligent battery management especially developed for the BMW ActiveE ensures that this range can be achieved as far as possible independently of external climatic conditions.

Fast and flexible retrieval of fresh energy.

The consistent development of electrically driven series production vehicles also encompasses innovative solutions for flexible, convenient and user-friendly charging of the vehicle’s energy storage systems. The lithium-ion battery units featured in the BMW ActiveE can be supplied with fresh energy from the most diverse external power sources. The vehicle is not dependent on a specific battery charging terminal and, depending on availability, electricity of varying current strength can be fed into the storage unit. The respective transformation is guaranteed by the integrated, highly efficient comfort battery charger. As a result the driver has a significantly higher degree of flexibility.

In addition to using the so-called wallbox, a 32-ampere power supply terminal, installed at the user’s home and optimised to obtain the shortest possible charging times, the driver can also connect the vehicle to a conventional power socket or a publicly accessible charging station. The standardised
US plug SAE1772 on the vehicle constantly ensures unvarying access to the charging point and special battery charger leads with corresponding standardised adapters ensure trouble-free connection in every country in which the system is available.

The energy storage units can be fully charged within four to five hours using the wallbox at 32 amperes. A range of around 40 kilometres is possible after just a one-hour charge at the wallbox. Using a conventional socket in Europe, the energy storage unit is fully charged over night.

The power electronics - greater efficiency, enhanced development of power.

The BMW ActiveE’s power electronics developed by BMW regulate the required strength and voltage of the supply of electricity to the electric motor. They ensure full utilisation of the drive system’s full dynamic potential. Only the correct power supply to the aggregate will release the high output and guarantee homogeneous development of power. As in the future MCV, the BMW ActiveE’s power electronics are located above the rear axle on the electric motor, forming a complete unit together with the aggregate.

Apart from controlling the electric motor, the power electronics also ensure the power supply to the onboard electrical systems. With the aid of a voltage transformer and incorporating intelligent battery management, they ensure the reliable supply of electricity to all vehicle functions including the comfort and infotainment features. Central control functions, which are integrated into both the power electronics as well as the energy storage system, permanently monitor all components. The driver is immediately informed of any possible malfunctions, in the event of which the system is automatically secured and switched off if necessary.

Everything from a single source - BMW Group drive technology competence.

The performance of the drive system in the BMW ActiveE is typical of a BMW. The exceptional dynamics, agility and efficiency are the result of intensive development efforts. With the exception of the storage cell, BMW Group engineers develop everything that constitutes an electric vehicle – the energy storage module and its wiring, the electric motor, the power electronics and the transmission. After all, the BMW Group wishes to continue upholding its claim to producing the world’s best drive systems - drive systems that stand out from the competition through efficiency, performance and running smoothness, even when electric power and not fuel is being transformed into movement. The harmonious interaction between drive train and power electronics, road performance and range demonstrate the BMW Group’s high degree of competence in this field.

Superior and comfortable - typical BMW, even with regard to handling.

On the road, the BMW ActiveE offers the typical BMW driving experience. Weighing a total of approximately 1,800 kilograms, the coherent overall concept comprising drive train, handling characteristics and package guarantee the familiar supreme and agile road performance of a
BMW 1 Series Coupe. The positioning of the energy storage units results in a beneficial lowering of the vehicle’s centre of gravity. Moreover, the flexible distribution of the storage units facilitates the well-balanced 50:50 axle load distribution so typical of BMW automobiles. Thanks to the dynamic wheel load shift, more weight bears down on the drive wheels, facilitating enhanced traction and power transfer of the high torque.

In addition to the adaptation of the rear axle to accommodate the electric drive, the BMW ActiveE’s suspension-related modifications are mainly restricted to components. For example, steering characteristics, springs and dampers are adapted to the higher weight in comparison to the series production version in order to reproduce typical BMW 1 Series handling in combination with the electric drive train. The suspension setting was chosen with a special focus on comfortable and superior driving in cities and the urban environment for which the BMW ActiveE is predominantly designed.

BMW ConnectedDrive remote functions for the BMW ActiveE.

With BMW MyRemote, BMW enables the user to access the extensive range of BMW ConnectedDrive functions via an app for the Apple iPhone (from 3G) and the iPad. The user has at his or her disposal all BMW ConnectedDrive remote functions using the CE device such as locking and unlocking the doors, the activation of the horn or headlamp flasher for locating the vehicle within sighting or hearing range, the CarFinder for locating the car within a radius of up to 1,000 metres as well as the Google Local Search function.

In addition, new remote functions developed especially for the BMW ActiveE for battery charge control and vehicle preconditioning have been incorporated into the range of functions. Via the customer’s Connected Drive Account the iPhone application establishes a unique connection with the vehicle and automatically displays the additional range of functions as soon as the Connected Drive Account has been identified. This kind of connection between remote controlled services and electric mobility is unique. However, prerequisite for all remote functions is that both the vehicle and the user are receiving a signal. Of course, the driver has access to the BMW ConnectedDrive functions without using an iPhone. This serves solely as a remote control and information device.

eCommand: charge level, range and preconditioning at a glance.

The specific electric car functions - eCommand in short - comprise both charge control and control of the preconditioning of the energy storage unit and with it the air conditioning of the interior. The charge control function allows the user to start and finish the charging process as well as the setting of the charge starting time via the charge timer inside the vehicle. Via charge control the user can view the charge level at any time and see whether the vehicle is currently being charged. Users are informed of the battery charge level (SoC - State of Charge), the vehicle’s current travel range with a full battery charge and the time remaining until the batteries are fully charged. A further display function informs users how far away they are from work or the destination that has been predefined as their home, so that they are able to make a best possible estimation of the distance they are still able to travel. Moreover, the app informs users where the nearest battery charging stations are, offering at the same time the possibility to add these directly to the navigation system’s routing function as an interim destination. A statistics function with historical data pertaining to consumption and range enables BMW ActiveE drivers to compare consumption with other drivers on a special website.

Preconditioning for enhanced vehicle range.

Unlike the MINI E, the BMW ActiveE offers the user for the first time the possibility to cool or heat both the energy storage unit and the car interior using intelligent preconditioning, thus bringing them up to the ideal operating temperature even before setting off. A preconditioned vehicle offers two advantages: firstly, the ideal operating temperature of the energy storage unit guarantees highest possible power output and hence a longer range. Secondly, the interior is already adjusted to a pleasant temperature prior to starting a journey - both in the summer and the winter. Intelligent preconditioning of the BMW ActiveE automatically determines according to the ambient temperature to what extent the vehicle and the battery should be pre-cooled or heated.

Preconditioning can be activated directly or the user can determine via the timer when preconditioning should start. For instance, he or she can ensure that the vehicle is pre-cooled or heated in the mornings before they use the car. However, it is only possible to precondition the car if it is connected to a charging terminal via a battery charging lead. This ensures that the vehicle’s range is not shortened due to the comfort function. On the contrary, it actually increases it. Due to the heating and cooling process while the vehicle is connected to the power supply, the energy required for this is no longer drawn from the battery during the journey. Charging and preconditioning functions are, of course, also directly accessible and controllable from inside the vehicle.

BMW ConnectedDrive assists in assessing field test results.

Access to the vehicle via BMW ConnectedDrive remote functions is also BMW’s feedback channel for the data recorded during field tests. When the charging process has finished and/or when network connectivity is established, the vehicle sends the vehicle data history recorded during the previous five hours to the BMW Backend for further analysing. Here, only development-related data such as distance travelled, maximum vehicle ranges as well as charging times and behaviour is collected, transferred and allocated to each respective vehicle. The objective is a comprehensive vehicle-specific documentation in order to obtain knowledge that can be used for further development. Anonymity of recorded data is, of course, guaranteed at all times.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 02-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Race Director

MCV, which the BMW Group will be launching under a new sub-brand in 2013.
I guess this will be the answer to Prius.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Coal

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
first BMW i looked at and said "wow"
Old 05-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow M 1

There are a lot of rumors about multiple projects surrounding BMW’s M-Division. That includes word of a 1-Series M-Convertible, an X3 M, and a new Z4 M. But what we just learned is that BMW could serious about producing an exclusive mid-engined car that could compete with the likes of either the Audi R8 or even the lesser Porsche Cayman.

According to an inside source within BMW, the engine canditates for the internally dubbed “M One” could either be the F30 M3’s turbocharged 6-cylinder or the new F10’s twin-turbo V8. The most far-fetched, but still not extremely unlikely idea, is that BMW could be using their new sustainability programs as part of the R&D involved with this potential new car and suggests that a twin-turbo 3 or 4 cylinder engine could also be a possibility.

Either way, BMW is planning the new 3-Series to be a “modular” architecture, which means much of its design can be shared with other platforms to keep costs down. That alone increases the possibility for such a car. Should it be a result of the efforts from BMW’s sustainability program and share technology with the i3 and the i8 or be a traditional gut-wrenching mid-engined super/sports car? Only time will tell.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Ironically European badges are bordering on meaningless these days. Everybody and their mom drives Bimmer, Benz, Audi, etc. because they've all steadily but surely turning into high volume mainstream manufacturers attempting to compete with US and Japanese makers
Old 07-12-2011, 03:36 PM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
BMW: Performance Edition news

Another day, another special edition... from BMW. Only this time, the latest Bimmer specials commemorate a special event with a whole lot of extra kit.

Building on its position as Official Automotive Partner of the 2012 London Olympics, BMW has released a pair of special Performance Editions based on its 1 Series and 3 Series.

The 1 Series Performance Edition is available in 116i, 116d and 118d guise with either three doors or five, but it's based on the outgoing model. It starts off with the full M visuals, including aero kit, 18-inch wheels and sport suspension, plus darkened exterior trim and an interior does up with blue trim. All this for just £1,500 (around $2,400 USD) over a comparable ES model, but with a lot of extra equipment thrown in.

The 3 Series Performance Edition, meanwhile, doesn't get the full M suspension package, but does get the aero kit and 18-inch alloys and more, and it's available on the 318i sedan for just £500 extra ($800).

Both the 1 and 3 Series specials can be had in Alpine White, Titanium Silver, Bluewater or Black Sapphire, and naturally come with the requisite special badging. But as you might have guessed, this pair is available exclusively in the UK.

Press Release:

The new BMW London 2012 Performance Editions

To celebrate BMW's sponsorship of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, and inspired by the BMW London 2012 Performance Team, BMW has introduced two new Performance Edition models based on the popular BMW 1 Series and 3 Series.

Building on the sporting looks of the popular 1 Series Sports Hatch, the 1 Series Performance Edition comes with M aerodynamic bodystyling, dark chrome 18-inch M light alloy wheels, High-gloss Shadowline exterior trim, dark chrome exhaust tailpipe and dark line rear lights. Enhancing its sporty driving style is the addition of M Sport Suspension, while sport seats with Royal Blue stitching, M Sport multi-function leather steering wheel and gearshift leaver, floor mats with Royal Blue piping and London 2012 exterior badges complete the sporty look.

Available on the 116i, 116d and 118d three- and five-door models, the BMW 1 Series Performance Edition costs just £1,500 more than the equivalent ES model, representing a saving for customers of £1,725. Prices start at £19,530 OTR for a BMW 116i Performance Edition three-door.

The BMW 3 Series Saloon is also getting a Performance Edition revision. Available on the 118i and 118d, the BMW 3 Series Performance Edition will gain an M aerodynamic body kit, M sport multi-function leather steering wheel, sport seats, floor mats with blue piping, 18-inch light alloy wheel, chrome exhaust finisher and London 2012 exterior badges, making the BMW 3 Series a winner in the style race.

The BMW 3 Series Performance Edition costs just £500 more than the equivalent 3 Series ES Saloon, saving customers a substantial £2,030. Prices start at £23,195 OTR for the BMW 318i Performance Edition Saloon.

The BMW Performance Editions are available in a choice of four colours; Alpine White, Titanium Silver, Bluewater and Black Sapphire, and are on sale now.

Chosen by London 2012 as the Official Automotive Partner, BMW's sustainability credentials will help London 2012 deliver a sustainable Games. As part of the partnership, BMW will supply a range of Efficient Dynamic diesel cars, hybrids and electric vehicles, achieving average CO2 emissions below the LOCOG target of 120g/km, as well as bicycles and motorcycles. The BMW London 2012 Performance Team will also benefit by being provided with vehicles to support them in their preparation for the Games.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:39 PM
I love me some Curry...!

Old 07-12-2011, 03:43 PM
I love me some Curry...!

sorry here is the link

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/12/b...edition-1-and/
Old 07-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Ok, I'll say it. Those 1er hatches are fargin ugly.

I'd get a GTI-R before I'd get a 130i.

Quick Reply: BMW: Development and Technology News