BMW: 5-Series News

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:06 AM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
I really cant wait to see how aggressive the new M5 will look.
+1 i hope they do something better with the rear, i didnt like the current m5 rear much, the m3 has an even better rear
Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by alex2364
That's because only 800 5 Series wagons were sold in the US in 2009. No reason to bring them over when people barely buy them.
Isn't that roughly how many of a given Acura model get sold these days?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
me likey the new 5.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:30 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
me likey it a lot.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
That's because only 800 5 Series wagons were sold in the US in 2009. No reason to bring them over when people barely buy them.
Then what does Acura know to bring over the TSX wagon?
Old 01-24-2010, 02:36 PM

acura are contrarions.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:49 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alexSU
Awesome car but why does it have to get bigger and heavier with every redesign?? I think it's just getting too big.

Anyone else think the same?
I'd wait for the final numbers. the weight shown is probably for 535 with every option added on. size wise, the current 5 could use more room in the trunk and for rear passengers. if Accord can move to almost full size, other makers will do the same. Customers both in the U.S. and China demand big cars.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:51 PM
TMQ
Pro

Also because BMWNA only sells the expensive 535xiT. If they sell 528iT, 528xiT, 535iT, the wagons will be quite popular (see the previous gen). BMWNA would rather people buy X series and the GT vehicles (as most X series will be made in the U.S.).
Old 02-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts

Meet the car that's putting the 'lap' in Lapland! Our team of spies have caught the best pictures yet of BMW's latest super saloon, the M5, putting its traction control to the test in frosty conditions.

It's only been a matter of days since BMW allowed us behind the wheel of lesser models in the new 5-Series range, but already the flagship E63 AMG-rival is being prepped for production.

Judging by the light camouflage, visual differences to the standard car will be subtle. Expect deeper front and rear bumpers, a power bulge in the bonnet and the trademark 'gills' in the front flanks. At the rear the giveaways are more obvious, with four roaring exhaust pipes protruding from the bumper.

The big story with the all-new M5 though is the switch from a naturally-aspirated V10 to a direct-injection twin-turbo 4.4-litre V8 - a tweaked version of the unit used in the X6 M and X5 M. Despite the loss of two cylinders the forced-induction V8 will produce more power - around 570bhp - but emit less CO2. Expect a 0-60mph time of under 4.5 seconds and, as always, a limited top speed of 155mph.

Our sources have revealed that the M5 will go on sale in 2011 - meaning a public unveiling at the Paris Motor Show this October is likely.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...#ixzz0eLBw2xmv

Link: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...#ixzz0eJ1abPH4
Old 02-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Ohhhh, so thats what it looks like under the camo. I see BMW test cars with full body camo running around here all the time.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by TMQ
BMWNA would rather people buy X series and the GT vehicles (as most X series will be made in the U.S.).
with good reason. i doubt that americans are interested in rear-wheel, luxury wagons.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Drifting

I really like the new 5.
Too bad i can't afford it..
Old 02-10-2010, 02:05 PM
8th Gear

so beautiful
Old 03-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,810 Likes on 13,988 Posts
2010 BMW Concept 5 Series ActiveHybrid

Press release...

The new concept car offers a particularly good rendition of the new BMW 5 Series Sedan in all its dynamic, efficient and innovative qualities, at the same time representing the ongoing development of the BMW ActiveHybrid X6 and the BMW ActiveHybrid 7 with their drivetrain technology already in production.

The drive system featured in the BMW Concept 5 Series ActiveHybrid consists of a straight-six gasoline engine with TwinPower Turbo technology, eight-speed automatic transmission, and electric drive. Integration of BMW ActiveHybrid technology in a sedan already extremely efficient with its “conventional” combustion engine reduces both fuel consumption and emissions once again by more than 10 per cent. At the same time the electric motor offers a boost function, supporting the gasoline engine in generating particularly dynamic drive power for an even more sporting driving experience in the car.

Intelligent energy management likewise serves to enhance the efficiency of the overall system, its unique functions ensuring appropriate control and management of all energy paths within the car and appropriate interaction of the drivetrain components precisely adjusted to driving conditions.

The drivetrain technology featured in the BMW Concept 5 Series ActiveHybrid allows all-electric, zero-emission motoring in city traffic. At the same time a special hybrid-based Auto Start Stop function offers additional efficiency by consistently switching off the combustion engine when stopping at the traffic lights, a road junction, or in congested traffic. Optimised comfort, finally, is provided by the auxiliary climate control function already featured in the BMW ActiveHybrid 7.

Special development of ActiveHybrid technology as part of BMW EfficientDynamics.

The concept car based on the new BMW 5 Series Sedan for the first time presents the next generation of BMW ActiveHybrid technology, a special solution exclusive to BMW for intelligent interaction of the combustion engine and electric drive focused specifically on the requirements made of a dynamic sedan in the upper midrange segment.

Taking this approach, BMW is consistently continuing the development of hybrid technology according to a modular principle (best of hybrid), thus offering the optimum rendition of BMW ActiveHybrid technology for each concept and vehicle segment.

In accordance with the BMW EfficientDynamics development strategy, this ensures highly effective and practical use of hybrid technology for the reduction of both fuel consumption and emissions.

Also in the BMW Series Sedan segment: the BMW among hybrids combines supreme dynamics with maximum efficiency.

The combustion engine is supported in the BMW Concept 5 Series ActiveHybrid by an electrical drive system developed specifically for this model and arranged in compact dimensions between the straight-six combustion engine and the automatic transmission. Drawing its energy from a high-voltage battery at the back of the car, the electric motor develops maximum output of 40 kW.

An automatic clutch connects the gasoline engine and the electric motors.

Due to the particularly high level of torque generated from the start through the electric motors, the interaction of the two drive systems ensures extremely spontaneous and dynamic acceleration whenever required.

Perfectly integrated, precisely controlled: high-voltage battery supplying power to both the electric motor and the on-board network.

In overrun and when applying the brakes, the electric drive systems acts as a generator developing electric power fed into the high-voltage battery. This converts kinetic energy otherwise wasted as heat in the brake system into electric power saved for subsequent use.

Such energy obtained without any further consumption of fuel may then be used to generate drive power or operate electrical functions in the car.

This principle is the same as that of Brake Energy Regeneration already applied in BMW’s current production models, with the level of electrical energy generated by the electric motor being significantly greater and the increase in efficiency correspondingly higher.

The high-voltage battery likewise developed for this specific concept is fitted within a high-strength special case near the rear axle of the BMW Concept 5 Series ActiveHybrid. This leads to an optimum position in terms of both safety and harmonious weight distribution. An integrated control unit permanently analyses the charge status of the high-voltage battery and controls both the battery charge process by way of Brake Energy Regeneration and the system cooling process. Apart from the electric motor, the high-voltage battery also delivers electric power to the car’s on-board network. Among other things, this allows efficient operation of the car’s auxiliary climate control activated whenever required by a remote control function to cool down the car’s interior significantly even before starting the engine.

Convenient use of the all-electric driving mode and the Auto Start Stop function is likewise guaranteed in this way, with all electrical functions such as the audio system, climate control or navigation remaining fully available even with the combustion engine switched off.

Unique: intelligent energy management with advance analysis of driving conditions.

BMW ActiveHybrid technology provides its unique potential in terms of both efficiency and driving dynamics under all kinds of conditions and throughout a wide load range.

Unlike conventional hybrid cars whose extra efficiency is largely limited to city traffic, both the BMW ActiveHybrid X6 and the BMW ActiveHybrid 7, by combining the combustion engine and the electric motor, are able to offer significantly lower fuel consumption and emission ratings also at higher speeds. This is made possible by technically sophisticated power electronics masterminding the interaction of the combustion engine and electric motor and thus optimising the overall efficiency of the drive system as a whole.

The BMW Concept 5 Series ActiveHybrid once again raises the range of functions provided by such power electronics to an even higher standard. As an example, the energy contained in the fuel and provided by the high-voltage battery may now be used even more specifically and efficiently to provide that Sheer Driving Pleasure so typical of BMW.

Taking additional factors into account, the interaction of the two drive units in the BMW Concept 5 Series ActiveHybrid is tailored to the driver’s requirements and current driving conditions with maximum precision. At the same time the power electronics also control the operation of the car’s ancillary units and comfort functions, again in the interest of maximum efficiency.

The range and diversity of parameters taken into account by the system is indeed quite unique in the automobile, just as the number of functions controlled in this way. A high level of all-round networking allows the power electronics to provide intelligent energy management, thus optimising the operating strategy of the entire vehicle under all conditions.

A further unique feature of energy management in the BMW Concept 5 Series ActiveHybrid is the car’s ability to adjust its operating strategy not just to current, but also to upcoming driving conditions. To do this the power electronics from the start evaluate data indicating a possible change in exterior conditions or the driver’s wishes and prepare the components in the drivetrain as well as the car’s electronic system for a possible change in requirements.

To analyse driving conditions up front, the system uses data provided by engine and chassis management as well as the sensors in the driver assistance systems on board the car. Data saved in the navigation system on the route chosen by the driver likewise goes into the final calculation, enabling the system to forecast driving conditions on the route directly ahead. Then, proceeding from this analysis, the car is coordinated in advance and the optimum use of all systems serves to use the energy available with maximum efficiency.

Should the system determine, for example, that the autobahn ahead is about to lead downhill, the charge level of the high-voltage battery is intelligently controlled in advance to regain brake energy upfront with maximum efficiency.

Similarly, the high-voltage battery may be fully charged in good time before the driver reaches his destination, enabling the system to switch off the combustion engine at an early point and change to all-electric drive along the final stretch of road. Indeed, this forward-looking function is able to extend the cruising range on electric power by up to 30%.

The BMW Concept 5 Series ActiveHybrid: the future of driving pleasure
and efficiency in the upper midrange segment.

Optimised to an even higher standard in the BMW Concept 5 Series ActiveHybrid, the drivetrain and control systems underline the great significance of hybrid technology as a cornerstone of BMW EfficientDynamics. Looking at a new generation of hybrid technology from BMW featured in the BMW Concept 5 Series ActiveHybrid therefore offers particularly attractive perspectives, the ongoing development of BMW ActiveHybrid technology serving to provide substantial progress in all areas leading to a harmonious all-round concept with distinctive features typical of the brand.

The BMW Concept 5 Series ActiveHybrid is therefore more dynamic, efficient and more intelligent than conventional representatives of this drive technology, standing out clearly as the BMW among hybrid cars in this segment.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 03-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Yummy, have you seen anything on the M5?

I was looking at a UK mag (CAR or EVO), and they had a whole article on it with pics/stats etc.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Post 2010 BMW 5 Series Touring

Thank-you, BMW. THIS is a wagon!

Now, kill the Gran Turismo...

Old 03-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Pricing Announced for New BMW 5 Series Sedan
535i and 550i to start at $50,475 and $60,575 respectively

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – March 25, 2010… BMW has announced pricing for the all-new 2011 BMW 535i and 550i Sedans. Including $875 Destination & Handling, the new 535i Sedan will start at $50,475, and the V-8 powered 550i will start at $60,575. The 535i receives BMW’s newest 3.0-liter twin-scroll turbocharged inline, while the 550i will be powered by BMW’s reverse-flow 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8. Both will feature the new 8-speed automatic transmission. Inspite of enhancements such as these, the base-prices for both models are lower than their 2010 predecessors. The 535i and 550i continue a tradition that is the hallmark of the ultimate driving machine – the option of a manual transmission, in this case a six-speed. The option of a manual transmission has been a 5 Series tradition through all six generations since its introduction to the US 35 years ago.

As on any other BMW vehicle, BMW Ultimate Service, $0 maintenance for the first 4 years or 50,000 miles, is included.

The all-new 2011 BMW 5 Series combines a whole new look, inside and out, with new powertrain options and even more cutting-edge technology. Design features emblematic of BMW are to be found at the front with its kidney grille inclined slightly forward.

When equipped with the Sport Package, the new BMW 5 Series Sedan includes Adaptive Drive, which encompasses Driving Dynamics Control, Electronic Damper Control, and Active Roll Stabilization. Optional Integral Active Steering will virtually extend or shorten the vehicle’s wheelbase for improved stability at high speeds and enhanced agility at lower speeds.

The top-of-the-range BMW 550i arrives with BMW’s “reverse-flow” V-8 engine featuring twin turbochargers and High Precision direct injection for maximum output of 400 hp. The new inline-6 of the BMW 535i features a single twin-scroll turbocharger, High Precision direct injection, and, combined for the first time with turbocharging, VALVETRONIC throttle-less intake technology. It delivers a maximum output of 300 hp and 300 lb-ft. As noted, the 535i and 550i will be available with a choice of 6-speed manual transmission, BMW’s new 8-speed automatic transmission, or new “Sport Automatic” 8-speed.

BMW EfficientDynamics technologies are featured in appropriate combinations on each model, including features such as Brake Energy Regeneration, Electric Power Steering, a gearshift point indicator, active cooling air flaps, and on-demand operation of engine accessory drives. Lightweight materials are used to balance the vehicle. Components such as doors, hood, front fenders, and suspension assemblies are made of aluminum.

The driver assistance systems offered with the new 5 Series include an all-new Parking Assistant, Top View cameras, and Frontal Collision Warning with application of the brakes when ordered with Active Cruise Control plus Stop & Go. Other driver assistance features available include Blind Spot Warning, Lane Departure Warning, a Head-Up Display, BMW Night Vision with Pedestrian Detection.

Package and individual option pricing is noted below. The all-new 2011 BMW 5 Series makes its North American debut at the New York International Auto Show and will arrive at US BMW Centers in June 2010.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Press release for the Touring...

The new BMW 5 Series Touring is the perfect symbiosis of driving pleasure, efficiency, versatility and sporting elegance. The 4th generation of the Business Touring convinces through powerful design aesthetics, modern premium-level functionality and brand-typical driving dynamics combined with exemplary efficiency. Extensive comfort and safety features, which include numerous BMW exclusive driver assistance systems, substantiate the outstanding qualities of the new BMW 5 Series Touring as an upper midrange touring car.

Design: Individual styling, sporting elegance.

The design of the new BMW 5 Series Touring is characterised by a high level of individuality with regard to its proportions and surface design. Its uniqueness is reflected by dynamic and powerful looks. With its long bonnet, short overhangs, the longest wheelbase in its segment, the stretched silhouette and a steeply inclined roofline, the new BMW 5 Series Touring possesses an elegance unrivalled by its competitors.

Versatility: Intelligent solutions for modern functionality.

Thanks to a multi-functional interior and intelligent detail solutions, the new BMW 5 Series Touring is fully equipped to meet the most diverse demands. The luggage compartment has a capacity of 560 litres. If desired, an increase in capacity to a maximum of 1,670 litres is guaranteed by 40:20:40 split folding rear seats, which are unique in this segment. The backrest angle is variable by up to 11 degrees. The backrest can be folded down using two control levers inside the luggage compartment, the loading space cover of which is automatically lowered when the tailgate is closed. The separately opening rear window automatically swings upwards at the push of a button.

The driving experience: Supreme dynamics and outstanding comfort.

The most advanced drivetrain and suspension technologies ensure supreme sportiness and a higher level of motoring comfort. Optional Dynamic Driving Control enables drivers to set the suspension individually to their personal requirements. The new BMW 5 Series Touring features as standard pneumatic suspension on the rear axle, including automatic self-levelling. Adaptive Drive and Integral Active Steering are optionally available.

The new BMW 5 Series Touring is making its debut with a choice of two straight-six petrol engines as well as a four-cylinder and a six-cylinder diesel. The BMW 520d Touring is powered by a 135 kW/184 bhp four-cylinder turbo diesel power unit featuring an aluminium crankcase and Common Rail direct injection. It is equipped with Auto Start Stop function as a standard feature, and with an average fuel consumption of 5.2 litres/100km (54.3 mpg) and a CO2 emission level of 137 g/km in an EU test cycle, it achieves the best efficiency in its segment.

The straight-six engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo under the bonnet of the BMW 535i Touring, with High Precision Injection and VALVETRONIC, develops a power output of 225 kW/306 bhp. Maximum power output of the straight-six engine featured in the BMW 523i Touring in lean operation is 150 kW/204 bhp. The BMW 530d Touring features a straight six-cylinder diesel with a 180 kW/245 bhp output. Thanks to BMW BluePerformance technology it fulfils the EU6 emission standard. All versions of the new BMW 5 Series Touring fully comply with the EU5 requirement.

BMW EfficientDynamics: BMW 5 Series increases the lead even further.

All versions of the new BMW 5 Series Touring are optionally available with BMW’s eight-speed automatic transmission. Like the electro-mechanical power steering EPS utilised on all variants, it makes an additional contribution towards efficiency. Depending on the model, the standard BMW EfficientDynamics measures comprise brake energy regeneration, Auto Start Stop function (BMW 520d), gearshift point indicator, demand-dependant ancillary components and active air flap control. An intelligent lightweight construction is obtained through doors, bonnet, front side panels, drivetrain and suspension components made of aluminium.

Innovative driver assistance systems by BMW ConnectedDrive.

The spectrum of features offered by BMW ConnectedDrive comprises, inter alia, a Parking Assistant, Surround View, collision warning with brake activation in conjunction with Active Cruise Control, Lane Change Warning, Lane Departure Warning, Speed Limit Info, High-beam Assistant, BMW Night Vision with detection of persons as well as Head-up Display. Furthermore, innovative office functions can be utilised via Bluetooth.

Joint development and production together with the BMW 7 Series.

The BMW 5 Series Touring is based on a newly developed vehicle architecture also used for the BMW 7 Series luxury sedans. Joint production of the BMW 5 Series Touring, the BMW 5 Series Sedan, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo and the BMW 7 Series at the BMW Dingolfing Plant, combined with the extensive use of shared components, ensures highly efficient production incorporating maximum possible quality standards.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:59 AM

do want.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:42 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I love it love it love it

Euro wagons FTW
Old 03-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Yummy, the h fell off your name. I looked for it but couldn't find it

That 5 Touring looks to be the same size as an A4 Avant. Probably bigger but it seems the same in the photo.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:59 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Why they need that GT version when they have this beauty is anyone's guess.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Yep...as I said above, time to destory the GT. Because, I think the joke's over. It never was funny, BMW...
Old 03-25-2010, 12:09 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Great looking wagon!

Too bad it's $50K out of my price range.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
Great looking wagon!

Too bad it's $50K out of my price range.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:55 PM

if they make an M5 version of the wagon...

Old 03-25-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The 550i has a 4.4L twin-turbo V8.... the M5 is gonna be nuts. Twinned V10? Looks SO much better than the E60 too
Old 03-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by Yumcha
^ Yep...as I said above, time to destory the GT. Because, I think the joke's over. It never was funny, BMW...
The GranTurismo is a REALLLLLLY nice car in person though.

Yeah it's goofy as hell. But it's nice.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Hello!

Very nice pricing! Way to keep the manual option BMW
Old 03-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by charliemike

I find that hard to believe...but, okay if you say so.

It's probably BMW's 2nd biggest abomination on wheels next to the X6. But, hey...just my opinion.

But, this 5 Touring...man, is it how a wagon should be!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
The only problem in the US is that they always offer it with xdrive and usually with no MT.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

It's probably BMW's 2nd biggest abomination on wheels next to the X6. But, hey...just my opinion.

You need to see the GT in person. The materials and build quality are fantastic. You can tell BMW spent the money on the body panel fabrication (just like the X6).

BUT ... It's a fucking hatchback ... And I like hatchbacks but I don't like people who buy a hatchback and then say it's some sort of hipsterdoofus alternative lifestyle vehicle for DINKs and women with little white dogs.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator

You need to see the GT in person. The materials and build quality are fantastic. You can tell BMW spent the money on the body panel fabrication (just like the X6).

BUT ... It's a fucking hatchback ... And I like hatchbacks but I don't like people who buy a hatchback and then say it's some sort of hipsterdoofus alternative lifestyle vehicle for DINKs and women with little white dogs.
I suppose there are cars that just aren't photogenic and look better in person (i.e. best example I have for reference are Acura's latest models like the ZDX and TL)...

But, anyhow...what I'm not getting here is what's the point of the GT with the Touring and possibly M version to follow?
Old 03-25-2010, 02:44 PM

love that car.

love the X6 too.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Senior Moderator

You'd like the Aztek if it had a BMW logo on it, Robin.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:50 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
The TL looks better in person?
Old 03-25-2010, 02:54 PM

You'd like the Aztek if it had a BMW logo on it, Robin.
no i wouldn't. i think a lot of cars tend to look better in person than in pics.

the ZDX (and TL) are two that don't.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
no i wouldn't. i think a lot of cars tend to look better in person than in pics.

the ZDX (and TL) are two that don't.
Pffft...if BMW slapped the ZDX with their logo on it, you'd think it was hawt.

Same for the new RL and TL. It's too bad I'm not as rich as Gates or something, I'd do it just as a social/behavioral experiment.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:59 PM

if they fixed the front too, sure. i think the rest of the ZDX looks nice.

Quick Reply: BMW: 5-Series News