Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 07:10 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
Seems like they followed in the footsteps of the new Accord. Compared to my '06 Accord, the new Accord's interior felt cheaper, had more hard plastic all around, had less padding all around, and the carpet was cheap and thin too.

From looking at the pictures online, I got the feeling of a lower quality interior. You pretty much confirmed it.

If I have time this weekend, I'll swing by my dealer to check it out myself and take them (I4 and V6) for a test drive.
Haven't seen the TLX yet, but a friend just picked up a 2014 EX-L and we were looking at it and thought it was much better quality of materials/fit/finish and features/functions compared to a neighbor's 2006 EX. The 7G Accord seems cheap looking to me it was the low-point in quality/feature/function of the Accords. They started to improve on the next 8G and alot more on the 9G. Honda really stepped up Accord on the current gen.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-10-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:49 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
It depends on where they're touching the interior. I personally think the new Accord's interior improved over the outgoing model, particularly in the areas of soft touch plastics. What I don't like is the Accord's trim pieces - the one on the passenger dash and doors - I still cannot figure out what that is. It's not simulated wood, it's not the plastic metal look, it's just some weird trim with texture on it.

So I was quite disappointed to read Liq's review that there were some cost cutting, cause the TLX has a pretty solid foundation to build up from. I did notice the lack of any leatherette covered surfaces surrounding the dash (which is becoming de-rigueur in the luxury class), but I was hoping they'd offset that by high quality material bare plastics. Guess not.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:12 AM
AZ Community Team

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPuCTIXJ3kQ#t=143

RACER: Peter Cunningham Acura TLX World Challenge GT Tech Review
Old 08-10-2014, 01:22 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Haven't seen the TLX yet, but a friend just picked up a 2014 EX-L and we were looking at it and thought it was much better quality of materials/fit/finish and features/functions compared to a neighbor's 2006 EX.
How well does your neighbor take care of the '06 EX?

Better features/functions? Yes

Better fit/finish? Maybe

Better materials? Not IMO. Feel the carpet and floor mats, door panel materials, and even seat fabric. I could immediately tell they were lower quality. Definitely thinner. There are a bunch of people on a Accord forum who've complained about wearing a hole into their floor mats in under a year.... there's even one person who's on his 3rd set (all replaced under warranty).
Old 08-10-2014, 03:01 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Thanks for the clarification, I toggle through the various screens rarely if at all, but leave it on the "mini" nav screen.

My wife's key fob is programmed to normal, and my fob is programmed to sport.
Even my wife finds the steering assist in any IDS setting other than "Sport", is too excessive.

That's why the MDX is always set to the "Sport" mode.

I just wish that the IDS could also change the suspension damper rate as well.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:38 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
New TLX GT Racecar- Powered by 0.3 liter engine.

The following users liked this post:
jwong77 (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by MTEAZY
New TLX GT Racecar- Powered by 0.3 liter engine.

first i thought you were kidding.. but i guess not..

why do you need a radiator for .3L engine?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:15 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I just wish that the IDS could also change the suspension damper rate as well.
Agreed. It is somewhat odd that adjustable dampers only lasted one generation in the 2G MDX and didn't migrate to any other vehicle in the Acura lineup. Along with SH-AWD, it is a pretty strong differentiator if you ask me and should be at least an optional feature in every Acura.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:25 AM
AZ Community Team

It's all opinion, but IMO the quality of the interior materials of the 7G Accord are below the 6G and 8G. I've looked at 7G's in the past and considered one when I when I bought my 05 TL. I was disappointed in the quality of the materials used in the interior (plastic, seats, fabric, switches, displays, ....).

Honda cheapen out the 7G Accord similar to the pre-MMC 9G Civic which Honda rectified. The 9G Accord interior materials feel and look better than the previous two gens.

Originally Posted by AZuser
How well does your neighbor take care of the '06 EX?

Better features/functions? Yes

Better fit/finish? Maybe

Better materials? Not IMO. Feel the carpet and floor mats, door panel materials, and even seat fabric. I could immediately tell they were lower quality. Definitely thinner. There are a bunch of people on a Accord forum who've complained about wearing a hole into their floor mats in under a year.... there's even one person who's on his 3rd set (all replaced under warranty).
Old 08-11-2014, 10:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by iforyou
Hmmm...the IS350 F Sport definitely has a more exciting instrument cluster....The TLX is all about being conservative....
+1, I think conservative display was important for the TLX. It's also competing with the ES (and A4/3/C/...) with more traditional instrument clusters.
While I love some electronic displays, I imagine the general population probably do not. One thing for a C7, Ferrari, and IS-F another for a mainstream sedan.

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
It comes with IS250 too.

But yes, it's AMAZING.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-c5IQZZ8Xfs" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
That is a really cool display.
I'd like to see how well it fares with sunlight shining on it to see if it washes out with no or little contrast.
That's always a potential issue with electronic displays, one advantage mechanical displays don't have.

My fav electronic display is the C7

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-11-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:17 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by LiQiCE
I didn't play with the MID display too much - its possible that you can turn on the IDS display for the MID. I don't think the MID was displaying anything when I was driving it - but if I pressed the IDS button, a list of all the modes comes up and it shows the one you've got selected highlighted. A second press of the IDS button would cause the IDS mode to select the next one and so on...
Can't wait to test drive it and see how it works in person!

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
I think IS is the only car that has something like it in that category. It's inspired by their LFA clusters.

Lexus clearly knows how to milk out their Halo car.
For sure. That's why Lexus is so successful and is a well established Japanese luxury brand unlike Acura and Infiniti.

The issue I have with the "cool" factor of push button drive selection is that it promises performance that doesn't exist in the TLX. Acura should have spent their money elsewhere on this car.
I see what you mean...they could have use the money for even better materials for example.

But for sure the electronic gear selector is something that can be seen and acknowledged right away, "hey this car has push button gear selector! cool!" This might be more appealing to most average TLX buyers?

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

For the latest 3G MDX, the driver has a choice to select one out of a total of 10 information screens to show up in the MID display.

One screen is the SH-AWD torque distribution information, and at the bottom of this screen is showing the chosen IDS mode.

As long as this screen is set as the default MID display screen, the chosen IDS mode will always be shown as well.

This arrangement is the same on the RLX, and highly likely also on the TLX as well.
So what do you think about the learning curve of this 2-screen system? Are you getting used to it? Do you prefer this system more, or the old system where there's one screen with tons of buttons? Would be nice to see some feedback from actual owners.

+1, I think conservative display was important for the TLX. It's also competing with the ES (and A4/3/C/...) with more traditional instrument clusters.
Not a deal breaker I think since most cars in this class use traditional display.

However, a display similar to the IS would be welcome if there's a TLX Type S.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 707 Likes on 426 Posts
That is a really cool display.
I'd like to see how well it fares with sunlight shining on it to see if it washes out with no or little contrast.
That's always a potential issue with electronic displays, one advantage mechanical displays don't have.
I test drove the IS with that display. It's REALLY cool, definitely a must-have feature on that car. I didn't see any issues with glare or anything.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:43 PM
brahs be jelly

You guys should see the ATS gauges. Looks like a 90's Buick cluster with an LCD slapped on.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:20 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
that's pretty bad.......
Old 08-11-2014, 05:31 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
You guys should see the ATS gauges. Looks like a 90's Buick cluster with an LCD slapped on.

That's like straight out of the '90s! Looks more like econobox than sports sedan.

Are the other trim levels different?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:35 PM
I feel the need...

Old 08-11-2014, 05:37 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
I test drove the IS with that display. It's REALLY cool, definitely a must-have feature on that car. I didn't see any issues with glare or anything.
Is it really a "must have"?

Not that I'm in the market for a Benz, but I think the fake gauges in the S-class are gross, at least from the pics.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:44 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou

So what do you think about the learning curve of this 2-screen system? Are you getting used to it? Do you prefer this system more, or the old system where there's one screen with tons of buttons? Would be nice to see some feedback from actual owners.
The learning curve is definitely steep for this dual-screen setup, with multiple menus embedded inside menus.

Many "used-to-be-button" operations become very clumsy and attention grabbing, even with the tactile vibration feedback on the main touch screen.

One typical example is to change the "Fresh-air/Recirculate-air" mode. It takes two screen touches to achieve an otherwise single-press-button operation.

To change mode, a first screen-touch on the "Fresh/Recir" screen icon is to bring up the "Fresh/Recir" menu, and a 2nd touch to select the either "Fresh" or "Recirulate" button on the popped-up menu.

Acura could have make the "Fresh/Recir" screen icon as a single-touch toggle operation, with which each touch of the icon would toggle between the "Fresh" mode and the "Recir" mode, just like a conventional mechanical switch would be.

Take a visit to the 3G MDX forum, and you can check out the threads (mostly negative) on the new dual-screen MDX system.

Incidently, there seems to have less complaints on the dual-screen RLX system on the RLX forum, even though the MDX and the RLX dual-screen systems are almost identical.

I guess it may have to do with the runaway sales of the MDX versus the stagnant RLX sales, and as a result, only a handful of RLX owners can get to try out the new dual-screen system.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Team Owner

Not that I'm in the market for a Benz, but I think the fake gauges in the S-class are gross, at least from the pics.
you, my friend bought a 4G TL.

You shouldn't comment on what looks gross.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Team Owner

I think 1 screen is enough and a BIG one. You still can do all the things you want to on the screen when you want to show off to your friends. But for everyday use, you can't beat the simplicity of knobs and buttons. So it should have both. (like the GS)

There is enough distraction on the road already. Last thing i need is going through endless pages while i am driving just to adjust temp or change radio station and etc..

but dual screens definitely look high tech... until you actually use it. or at least dont connect functionality between 2 screens.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 08-11-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:08 PM
brahs be jelly

Originally Posted by Costco
That's like straight out of the '90s! Looks more like econobox than sports sedan.

Are the other trim levels different?
No, that's all you get on the ATS... and what's worse is that the CTS also comes standard with those gauges unless you spec the highest trim.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
I have friends that just bought an IS-350 F sport and the gauges are truly amazing. Hands down the best in the class.

Now I know why GM is idling the plant for 3 weeks due to slow sales...... That doesn't look fit for a $15,000 car let alone a $30,000+
Old 08-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Team Owner

No, that's all you get on the ATS... and what's worse is that the CTS also comes standard with those gauges unless you spec the highest trim.
while American cars have definitely improved but the mentality of designing things will not change.

I think culture and environment have big effect on this.

Japanese and German historically are good at this kinda stuff.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:47 PM
brahs be jelly

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
while American cars have definitely improved but the mentality of designing things will not change.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I like pulling for the home team, but some of their decisions are just head scratchers.

Like in the new Escalade.. everything is covered in wood, leather, and suede, but they somehow stuck in a work truck column shifter and DVD headrests from 2003.

I used to appreciate the attention to detail that went into import cars.

These days, although they don't make bone-headed interior decisions, most feel built to a price unfortunately.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:09 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I like pulling for the home team, but some of their decisions are just head scratchers.

Like in the new Escalade.. everything is covered in wood, leather, and suede, but they somehow stuck in a work truck column shifter and DVD headrests from 2003.

I used to appreciate the attention to detail that went into import cars.

These days, although they don't make bone-headed interior decisions, most feel built to a price unfortunately.
Yeah those look like crap. Really no point for DVD headrests in today's world of iPads and tablets. DVD is a dying breed.

Thankfully its only an option.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Considering the TLX was designed by Americans - what does that say about your opinion of the TLX?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Yup and its even cheaper looking in person. I have to believe this is a parts share with a minivan somewhere in gm lineup.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by jwong77
Yup and its even cheaper looking in person. I have to believe this is a parts share with a minivan somewhere in gm lineup.
That is borderline nauseating.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
Considering the TLX was designed by Americans - what does that say about your opinion of the TLX?
you know exactly what my opinion is on TLX.

and also those designs still have to be approved by the real Japanese people.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:57 PM
Team Owner

column shifter

Nothing screams more gangsta in a Escalate than a column shifter.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,814 Likes on 13,990 Posts
Here's Acura's marketing campaign videos:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FM7PcYMH67c?list=PLxDNKxVW_TO9MRX5GZ1_P9vULS-kn9Oep" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-12-2014, 12:33 AM
Team Owner

i actually like it.. it is more emotionally connected than say... the stupid Seinfeld crap.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:53 AM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
^+1
Old 08-12-2014, 08:21 AM

Received 5,460 Likes on 3,732 Posts

The "gauges" in the S are actually fine in person. I really like the big screen in lieu of real gauges. Didn't think I would from pictures, but it works in person.
From the 2 times I've driver my grandmother's '14 S550, I've yet to find anything I don't like (aside from the disable-able stop/start function), other than it's not in my garage
Old 08-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Holy crap that's awful... I think my friend's Chevy Sonic has a more expensive looking cluster.

I don't see anything wrong with the cluster they put in the TLX, but I would have taken the one from the IS F, that's just awesome.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:06 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,473 Likes on 930 Posts
My (previous) Acura dealer has 5 TLXs in inventory right now. All are the 3.5L V6.

Crystal Black Pearl / Espresso Leather with Advance Package
Bellanova White Pearl / Graystone Leather with Advance Package
Graphite Luster Metallic / Ebony Leather with Advance Package
Basque Red Pearl II / Parchment Leather with Technology Package
Fathom Blue Pearl / Graystone Leather with Technology Package

Where are the 4-cyl? Already sold?
Old 08-12-2014, 12:15 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 707 Likes on 426 Posts

In the S-class they're completely fake (not that I've seen them) but in the IS the silver circle is physical and the LCD behind shows electronic gauges (and the picture moves along with the physical circle). You should go for a test drive.

I know I wouldn't buy an IS without that. Too bad the rest of their multimedia system is not as nice as Audi/BMW, they could improve it a lot just by giving it nicer graphics.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Team Owner

i don't understand what is a Fake gauge?
Old 08-12-2014, 12:56 PM
AZ Community Team

i don't understand what is a Fake gauge?
^ I presume he means using needles and circle dials on a dot-matrix display such as how some manufacturers do.

With the "Torque" Android app you can select dial, number, or graph for instrumentation. Really cool OBD2 app.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:57 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News