Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bi-xenon headlamps are a xenon headlamp which uses a single xenon lamp to produce both the high beam and the low beam. The full light beam is used to produce the high beam, while the low beam is produced by moving a shutter between the bulb and the lens, thus blocking off a portion of the light. The bi-xenon headlamp option for the S-Class (standard on the S 600) also incorporates dynamic range adjustment, which automatically varies the pitch of the headlamps in accordance with the movements of the body and which also compensates for brake dive and squat.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:03 PM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
I think I will go to the grave not knowing the difference between HID and Xenon. To me, they are the same thing...
Hello-

Exactly right...my understanding is that Xenon=HID and HID=Xenon. A Xenon headlight must be HID (high intensity discharge) to ignite, right?

SPUDMTN
Old 07-15-2003, 04:30 PM
Pro

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
Hello-

Exactly right...my understanding is that Xenon=HID and HID=Xenon. A Xenon headlight must be HID (high intensity discharge) to ignite, right?

SPUDMTN
OK, this is my expertise.

Xenon bulbs do NOT mean HID (high intensity discharge)

The HID lamps used in cars have a very small (extremely small) amount of Xenon gas in them. The marketing gurus decided that “Xenon” sounded sexier than “HID” or High Intensity Discharge” so they dubbed them Xenon.

The rest of the car companies followed suit not to be outdone by the other maker.

There is an after market head light maker that makes halogen bulbs filled with Xenon gas (Xenon can be used as one of the halogen gases), so they can call them xenon and all the young punks think they are getting HID lights.

It is true that Xenon filled Halogen bulbs are slightly brighter, than std halogen, but, it is not the blue – white HID headlight color or brightness.

You can also buy Xenon flashlights (using xenon gas filled incandescent bulbs) in the market, these existed long before the HID head lights on cars. Also Xenon bulbs for everyday use are becoming more standard, but are NOT HID like on cars.

HID lights use a high voltage arc (hence all the warning stickers around HID lights) to create the light (unlike incandescent and halogen bulbs that use a glowing wire to create the light). HID last so long as there is no filament wire to vibrate and break (or evaporate).

HID bulbs in cars are descendents (better color correction and lower wattage) of the streetlights in use today.

I guess as always, the truth is buyer beware as xenon does not equal HID in the car world.

That's the story -
Old 07-15-2003, 04:31 PM
9th Gear

Just to clear something up before the fan blades get soiled...

My earlier posts regarding the VTM4 AWD system were intended to show how the current system would be less than ideal in this application. By no means do I claim to know whether or not an AWD system will be offered. And, of course, Acura might adapt the current design with some new gizmo that reduces of eliminates those issues. I'm all for it as it might get passed on down to other vehicles in the Honda/Acura lines.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:51 PM
Registered AssHat

HID = High Intensity Discharge
Xenon = Gas in bulb

Thus, Xenon = HID, but not all HID = Xenon.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:06 PM
Pro

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
HID = High Intensity Discharge
Xenon = Gas in bulb

Thus, Xenon = HID, but not all HID = Xenon.
Final word on this from me,

Xenon does not always equal HID (can be non - HID as in flashlights)

and

HID does not always equal Xenon (unless the HID construction uses xenon gas in it, not all do)
Old 07-15-2003, 05:15 PM
Racer

Originally posted by need4spd
OK, lets go back (sorry if I am bringing up bad memories).

1. NO AWD - not to get technical, but isn't the VTM-4 NOT considered a full time All Wheel Drive system, so could we still be hopefull that Justin is correct (I do not despute him, so no hate mail please!)

2. No 8" on the non-nav - could it be a 6" or 4" panel?

3. 270hp approx, makes sence, approx can be +/-10% so 280 is still in that range.

4. The rest of it makes sense, or we have heard before.

Just thought I would throw this out there.
as for the AWD it isn't the VTM-4 system. Only Standard FWD.

and no on the 6" or 4" panel too

why don't you accept PM's larchmont????
Old 07-15-2003, 05:52 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Stash
why don't you accept PM's larchmont????
Thanks for the information/clarification.

What do you mean "PM's larchmount"

Sorry for not understanding - sometimes the brain takes a break.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

larchmount, the user name of a member, has PM's (Private Messages) disabled :P
Old 07-15-2003, 06:47 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally posted by planman
I have to go with Need on this one. With the TSX bumping against the bottom of the TL price range now, I'd bet the '04 TL will start more in the range of the current Type S.
When I went to put my deposit down, my sales rep told me that a base model '04 TL will start in the price range of the current TL Type S.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:58 PM
Burning Brakes

grrr I need more new TL scoop to feed off of. I don't care at this point, someone make up something!
Old 07-15-2003, 07:04 PM
More On

......why don't you accept PM's larchmont????
I guess you wanted to bring me up to speed on some stuff -- which I appreciate.

The reason I don't PM is basically that this isn't my computer (I really am a fossil!), and the owner is kind of protective. We did try to activate PM briefly on "the other side," and probably coincidentally, exactly at that time the computer went spooey and among other things the owner's e-mail got totally screwed up. So that's the answer.

BTW I am in touch in other ways with some of the other people that you seem to confab with, so maybe you can get some info to me through them if you'd like.

I hope you weren't offended by any of my stuff. As I said, I do value your info greatly, and in fact when I first discovered the old site, your posts were a big part of what made it seem so impressive and worthwhile to me. But I did feel that about the post in question, you didn't take some things into account.

Thanks again for following up.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Racer

The reason I don't PM is basically that this isn't my computer (I really am a fossil!), and the owner is kind of protective. We did try to activate PM briefly on "the other side," and probably coincidentally, exactly at that time the computer went spooey and among other things the owner's e-mail got totally screwed up. So that's the answer.
That makes absolutely no sense computer speaking but whatever

No I didn't take offense to what you remarked but I was wanting to explain any confusion you may have had but in a private manner.

Join the chat room if you can
Old 07-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Justin, anyone... What is the word on ventilated seats?

How about power lumbar or bolster adjustment? Heated rear seats?

Will the rear seats finally fold down?

How about central locking?

Retained accessory power? I know we have windows and moonroof now.

Full size spare? No spare with a tire pressure monitoring system?

Auto Up/Down on all windows?

Will the DVD-Audio system also support MP3's?

Hope to get these questions answered and also generate some fresh conversation.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:15 PM
More On

That makes absolutely no sense computer speaking but whatever....
I'm sure you're right. But the thing is, in terms of my own knowledge I have no way to be 100% sure one way or the other, so I defer to the owner -- who isn't in a position to know either but bends toward caution.

P.S. Will probably come into the chat late this evening.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

i'm pretty sure the new TL will have a tire pressure monitoring system. It's going to be required on ALL new cars by the federal government by 2004, at least an indicator light that tells if a tire is low on air. But being a luxury car, I would expect psi read outs.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
Justin, anyone... What is the word on ventilated seats?

How about power lumbar or bolster adjustment? Heated rear seats?

Will the rear seats finally fold down?

How about central locking?

Retained accessory power? I know we have windows and moonroof now.

Full size spare? No spare with a tire pressure monitoring system?

Auto Up/Down on all windows?

Will the DVD-Audio system also support MP3's?

Hope to get these questions answered and also generate some fresh conversation.
Well, we got a pretty good answer regarding the Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

Any thoughts on the other stuff?
Old 07-15-2003, 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

I'll take a few guesses:

1) I doubt ventilated seats, maybe on the RL
2) I'm sure there will be driver's lumbar adjustment at least
3) Don't the current TL's rear seats fold down? Anyways, I think yes, split
4) What is central locking?
5) What else? You mean radio and nav? I doubt it
6) I doubt a full size spare, but yes a spare
7) No I think auto up/down is just a driver's thing
8) Good question, that's a dvd audio question though
9) Me too
Old 07-15-2003, 07:31 PM
has been here awhile

Hello-

I'm just going to take some educated guesses on a few of these.

Power lumbar support -- I can see this on the driver's seat. The 2004 RL has it, so Acura has the parts for it.

Spare tire -- Probably. There's no spare tire standard only if the vehicle is equipped with run-flat tires.

Auto up/down windows -- I'd say maybe. It has to be on the driver's window, for sure. How expensive could it be to put it on all four windows? Besides, all of the competition have this feature on all four.

As for tire-pressure monitors being mandatory, I just read an article dated 2000 saying that automakers had a three-year deadline. Maybe it was extended or... Anyway, I think RJC is right about the tire pressure monitor being on this new car.

SPUDMTN
Old 07-15-2003, 07:34 PM
More On

"Full-size spare tire" isn't really that important, is it?
Old 07-15-2003, 07:38 PM
has been here awhile

Hello-

I remember VW used to proudly advertise that their new Jetta came with a full-size spare tire. Not really that big of a deal, but it does make having a flat tire more convenient--that way you don't have to get your other tire fixed right away (and spares the embarassment of rolling around on a bike tire).

SPUDMTN
Old 07-15-2003, 07:42 PM
has been here awhile

I just thought of something...

I wonder if the TL will get a key w/ integrate remote? I'm guessing we won't find this out until the production model is released...

SPUDMTN
Old 07-15-2003, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by RJC RSX
I'll take a few guesses:

1) I doubt ventilated seats, maybe on the RL
2) I'm sure there will be driver's lumbar adjustment at least
3) Don't the current TL's rear seats fold down? Anyways, I think yes, split
4) What is central locking?
5) What else? You mean radio and nav? I doubt it
6) I doubt a full size spare, but yes a spare
7) No I think auto up/down is just a driver's thing
8) Good question, that's a dvd audio question though
9) Me too
Thanks for the guesses.
2) We have driver's seat today, I'd like to see power adjust for both front seats, at least the driver.
3) Believe it or not, the rear seats do not fold down
4) Central locking is being able to close the entire car (locks, windows, moonroof either from the transmitter or the driver's key hole
5) I do not care about Navi, but would like to see radio

As for the remote, my wife's 03 Accord EX-V6-Navi has everything integrated into the key.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:14 PM
Intermediate

I'll just chime in with my take on everything going on at Acura. Here's Acura's dilemma: Do we equip our lower level cars with more and better features than our flagship RL?
Basically, I think the answer is no. The RL is already pretty dead, and if they unveiled a TL or even a TSX with AWD (at the least), the RL would not sell at all. I don't think we're going to see anything on the TL or TSX that will jeopardize the RL. Therefore, I believe that ventilated seats won't show up on the TL, I don't think power lumbar will show up, the TL won't have run-flats or even a full-size spare, it won't get HiDS (not the lights, the system), etc. There will be minimal things that the TL will get that the RL doesn't have, like the DVD Audio. But, I think we'll have to wait until the RL debuts next year to see anything REALLY special on any Acura...and even then it would probably have to wait until the mid-cycle refresh....if then.

Personally, I think Acura screwed up BIG TIME by offering the TSX first, then the 04TL, and then the 05RL. In my opinion, they should've rushed the RL to market ahead of the TSX (God knows they've had plenty of time to see its bombing). Give it all the goodies, thus saving the flagship from another embarrassing year and showcasing much of what Acura has to offer. Then they should've released the TSX, with a trickle-down effect - getting some features from the RL (maybe AWD, etc). Obviously, the wouldn't put more than the TL and RL have now (like they did this year with the memory seats), because they still need to protect the out-going TL....but it should be saved (and hopefully is) for when the 05RL comes out. Then bring out the bread-and-butter sedan, the 04TL with AWD and most of the features of the RL. Then the line-up would/could be all AWD and with the latest technology without sacrificing sales at the top end of the spectrum. Anyway, I think we're gonna have to wait until MY2005 to see any Acura car with AWD.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:28 PM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by PokeyD16Z
I'll just chime in with my take on everything going on at Acura. Here's Acura's dilemma: Do we equip our lower level cars with more and better features than our flagship RL?...
Hello-

I think the answer is, yes, we do equip it with more features than the current RL. The current RL is OLD! Why release a brand-spankin' new TL with less technology and features than the eight (yes, eight!) year old RL? If Acura gives us a techonlogical tour-de-force on this new TL it can only make more people hang on and wait for an even more lavishly equipped flagship sedan. This TL is going to just be a preview of the things to come...kind of like "this is what we can do with a relatively small budget--wait till you see what we can do with a larger one!"

SPUDMTN
Old 07-15-2003, 08:59 PM
Advanced

good point, very good point
Old 07-15-2003, 09:01 PM
Advanced

This TL should be a preview of things to come from acura
Old 07-15-2003, 09:01 PM
Racer

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
I just thought of something...

I wonder if the TL will get a key w/ integrate remote? I'm guessing we won't find this out until the production model is released...

SPUDMTN
I am going to say no integrated key
Old 07-15-2003, 09:11 PM
has been here awhile

I am going to say no integrated key
Hello-

So...how about the key-card system? I can at least try asking, right? Do you know why Honda isn't giving Acura the integrated remote key? It seems that they should have released it on their luxury brand first, not just their basic stuff. Most luxury brands have a non-conventional key...how long is it going to take for us to get the integrated key?

SPUDMTN
Old 07-15-2003, 09:28 PM
Burning Brakes

key-card? heated rear seats? Come on guys, this ain't gonna be an S600... let's talk reasonable, like 5-series stuff
Old 07-15-2003, 10:30 PM
has been here awhile

Hello-

Believe it or not (if you haven't heard), but the key card system is very realistic for an Acura. Check out the Euro & JDM Accord--they have the key cards. As for heated rear-seats--maybe just a little bit of wishful thinking for a Honda designed vehicle But those could very well make it in the RL. I would say that both of these features are very realistic and very easy to do.

I've heard that Honda of America wants most of the features that they have on the other side of the pond, but Honda of Japan is reluctant (for some weird reason) to give them to us. Come on Honda! Give us the goods!

SPUDMTN
Old 07-15-2003, 10:35 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember, Acura has a team of people whose jobs are to disperse misinformation in order to generate rumors. I'm not making any accusations here, but it's just something to remember.
How can you make such a claim after only 61 posts?
Old 07-15-2003, 10:49 PM
Racer

It's quite common for large companies that produce products for the general public to send out people to control correct or incorrect rumors. Companies go to great lengths to protect the secrecy of their products before they debut to the world.

Case in point: Disney is known to give out false information about coming rides and attractions to their Cast Members. Often as a way of weeding out and firing the "mole." Since legally these employees have signed disclosure agreements.

Just thought I'd add that in...
Old 07-15-2003, 10:57 PM
has been here awhile

Hello-

Thanks for the post--I want to be hired by a company to do that! Sounds fun to me...

By the way, welcome to the forum, BuddySol!

SPUDMTN
Old 07-15-2003, 11:03 PM
Racer

Thank you. I used to peruse the other board every once in a while, with my whole total post count of like 10. I even gave them permission to watermark my images that I posted of the TSX. Then one day everyone left and took me a while to figure out where exactly they went...

I'm sure that position would be a PR related matter, so I suppose you can look for jobs in that department of any big company.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call me selfish, but I wanted to get our deposit secured (already 6 of them placed before us) before I posted that info here, because I realize a lot of the members here are from the DC area, and I didn't want to cause a stampede down to Pohanka before we could reserve ours.
I don't think you have to worry about the members of THIS forum stampeding down to place a deposit on a TL. Been there, done that. I took delivery of my new TSX in April, as did many of us here. Most of us are not rich enough to trade in a new car on another new car, and the new TL is out of my price range.

And besides, I loooove my TSX!!!
Old 07-15-2003, 11:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Jason
How can you make such a claim after only 61 posts?
And my post count has to do with what now? It's common knowledge
Old 07-15-2003, 11:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Iceman
I don't think you have to worry about the members of THIS forum stampeding down to place a deposit on a TL. Been there, done that. I took delivery of my new TSX in April, as did many of us here. Most of us are not rich enough to trade in a new car on another new car, and the new TL is out of my price range.

And besides, I loooove my TSX!!!
Well you never know. Since this is the new TL source right now, there are probably tons of guests reading these forums. With only 6 left at the time, I couldn't take any chances.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:14 PM
More On

Originally posted by PokeyD16Z
.....Personally, I think Acura screwed up BIG TIME by offering the TSX first, then the 04TL, and then the 05RL. In my opinion, they should've rushed the RL to market ahead of the TSX (God knows they've had plenty of time to see its bombing).....
I think Acura did it right by coming out with the TSX when they did.
There was a huge gap in the market that was waiting to be filled, and they did with the TSX.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:15 PM
More On

And my post count has to do with what now? It's common knowledge
To properly interpret Jason's posts, you have to know the meaning of "sarcastic."

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News