Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 711 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Just like the current "drop jaw" Audi signature grille, some people didn't like it initially. But Audi persisted and applied the unified grille on all Audi vehicles. And now, people can identify an Audi simply by it's signature grille.
Speaking for myself, it didn't take me very long to get used to the Audi grille (I didn't like it at first either). But 2-3 years later it looked fine, Audi just keeps making it bolder instead of toning it down, and very few people these days will criticize the look of Audis in the front. Today the new Audis look better than the old ones.

Acura on the other hand has had this beak for a few years now, they've been toning it down, and people still don't like it. Old Acuras look better than the new ones. The design is a failure. Acura also fails on the overall balance of the car, they give a huge beak to a car that already has a huge nose, it just doesn't make sense. If they're not willing to invest in a platform with short overhangs they should be trying to hide the nose instead of accentuating it.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:36 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 836 Likes on 520 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Speaking for myself, it didn't take me very long to get used to the Audi grille (I didn't like it at first either). But 2-3 years later it looked fine, Audi just keeps making it bolder instead of toning it down, and very few people these days will criticize the look of Audis in the front. Today the new Audis look better than the old ones.

Acura on the other hand has had this beak for a few years now, they've been toning it down, and people still don't like it. Old Acuras look better than the new ones. The design is a failure. Acura also fails on the overall balance of the car, they give a huge beak to a car that already has a huge nose, it just doesn't make sense. If they're not willing to invest in a platform with short overhangs they should be trying to hide the nose instead of accentuating it.
Interesting opinion. The Audi grille simply grew into me..I didn't think Audi really made it bolder or toned it down. I do feel that new Audi's look better, in a sense that they look more classy than other luxury brands.

Other than the 3G TL, I think most old Acura's are just more conservatively looking, hence people still feel they look good. I think it was wrong to go with such a large beak too. But they have made some significant changes that other than people from the internet, most are not complaining much now. Looking at sales numbers, the only casualty of the grille seems to be the 4G TL only.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:00 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,314 Likes on 4,032 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Interesting opinion. The Audi grille simply grew into me..I didn't think Audi really made it bolder or toned it down. I do feel that new Audi's look better, in a sense that they look more classy than other luxury brands.

Other than the 3G TL, I think most old Acura's are just more conservatively looking, hence people still feel they look good. I think it was wrong to go with such a large beak too. But they have made some significant changes that other than people from the internet, most are not complaining much now. Looking at sales numbers, the only casualty of the grille seems to be the 4G TL only.
Personally I couldn't care less about sales numbers.

IMO...the 3G TL was THE face of Ack during the years of its production, 04-08. While the beak has been continually modified as the years have moved along, the 4G TL is STILL unattractive because of the overall shape and proportions of the car.

The TSX is currently the most attractive sedan that Ack builds. The beak is still there, in it's current "toned down" form. But, the thing that makes the car attractive is the overall shape and proportion of the vehicle.

Beaks are beaks...proportion makes or breaks the aesthetics of a vehicle.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:31 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt

I've said this years ago...even back when I owned a CL-S...the 5 point grille design with the pointed front end is VERY limiting in terms of vehicle design.

It was over 10 years ago, and still is today...trouble is they double-downed on the poor design, and things have gotten worse.

They need to ditch this corporate front end, and come up with something else that does not limit their designs.
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (06-28-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow Honda/Acura June Sales

American Honda today reported June 2012 U.S. sales of 124,808 units, an increase of 48.8 percent compared with June 2011 (an increase of 43.3% based on the daily selling rate*). The Honda Division posted June 2012 sales of 109,438 units, an increase of 45.6% compared with June 2011. Acura's U.S. June sales of 15,370 units increased 76.5% compared with June 2011.

Honda
- CR-V sets 6th-consecutive monthly sales record with a new June record (23,282 units), up more than 50% from June 2011

- Accord sales top 28,000 units, up more than 80% from June 2011

- Exceptional month for core Honda products (Accord, Civic, CR-V) with sales up more than 50% from last June for each model

"With robust inventories and great customer demand, it feels good to be back in the race," said John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president of sales. "The strong performance of our core models, including another record-breaking month for the CR-V, demonstrates the fundamental competitiveness of Honda products."

Acura
- Total Acura sales of 15,370 units were up 76.5% over June 2011, the best June sales since 2007

- The new RDX continued its sales success with another record sales month (3,090 units), up 189.3%. In May, the RDX was the best-selling compact luxury SUV and is expected to retain that position for June

- Acura light trucks posted a best-ever June result of 8,278 units, up 82.1% from last year

- Both the TL and TSX enjoyed substantial sales increases over June 2011, up 47.1% and 43.9% respectively. With national advertising just starting in June, the all-new ILX has begun to build both inventory and awareness, posting June sales of 1,081 units

"The weather may be too hot in many parts of the country, but Acura sales are continuing to heat up," said Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura sales. "With our light trucks setting records and our volume sedans showing major increases, it's going to be a great summer for Acura."
Old 07-03-2012, 01:01 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by pttl
Personally I couldn't care less about sales numbers.

IMO...the 3G TL was THE face of Ack during the years of its production, 04-08. While the beak has been continually modified as the years have moved along, the 4G TL is STILL unattractive because of the overall shape and proportions of the car.

The TSX is currently the most attractive sedan that Ack builds. The beak is still there, in it's current "toned down" form. But, the thing that makes the car attractive is the overall shape and proportion of the vehicle.

Beaks are beaks...proportion makes or breaks the aesthetics of a vehicle.
I mentioned the sales numbers because of what Belzebutt said earlier regarding people still not accepting the newer grille.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
So now this thread will be PWed instead of the monthly sales thread?
Old 07-03-2012, 05:37 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
What is "PW" ?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Race Director

Post Whoring - that usually happens in the monthly sales thread after the news is posted - maybe we can avoid that here.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:56 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
What is "PW" ?
+1..didn't know what that means as well........
Old 07-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,830 Likes on 13,994 Posts
Here's a big-time head-scratching ad courtesy of Acura's marketing department: https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=899
Old 07-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,373 Likes on 4,926 Posts
^ I saw that in one of the car rags I got recently
Old 07-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Safety Car

Thumbs up AutoNews

LOS ANGELES -- American Honda, no longer hampered by last year's earthquake, posted its strongest June sales since 2008. Sales were up 49%over last year.

Sales of 124,808 cars and light trucks also helped the company recover market share. Honda captured 9.7% of the U.S. market last month, up from 8% in June 2011. Through 6 months, Honda's market share remains flat at 9.6%.

The recently redesigned CR-V crossover had its 6th-consecutive monthly sales record and its best June ever. The outgoing Accord, scheduled for a September redesign, is moving well in sell-down mode; more than 28,000 units were sold. Despite mixed reviews of the Civic, Honda's compact continues to sell well, with 27,500 sales.

"With robust inventories and great customer demand, it feels good to be back in the race," John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president of sales, said in a release.

"The strong performance of our core models, including another record-breaking month for the CR-V, demonstrates the fundamental competitiveness of Honda products," Mendel said.

The only downside was continued slow sales of the Insight and CR-Z hybrids.

Honda has restricted sales of the models in the United States to protect profits stemming from the strong yen back home, where the Insight and CR-Z are assembled.

On the Acura side, sales advanced 77% to 15,370 units.

The redesigned RDX crossover had its best month ever, making it the best-selling compact luxury SUV. The MDX mid-sized crossover continues to a strong volume leader.

The ILX compact sedan had its 1st full month of sales, so inventories are still trickling in to dealerships. Despite rumors that it would be discontinued when the ILX arrived, the TSX sedan shows little sign of letting up.

"The weather may be too hot in many parts of the country, but Acura sales are continuing to heat up," Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura sales, said in the statement. "With our light trucks setting records and our volume sedans showing major increases, it's going to be a great summer for Acura."
Old 07-05-2012, 11:43 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Here's a big-time head-scratching ad courtesy of Acura's marketing department: https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=899
As usual Honda has no clue on marketing.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (07-05-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb TV Spots

Venice, CA, July 16, 2012 | SHOOT Publicity Wire | --- The artists and producers from visual effects studio Brewster Parsons are very proud to detail their contributions to Acura's latest regional television spots from advertising agency rp& and Chelsea Pictures director Bruce Hunt. Spanning five :30 spots in all, the stylish campaign featuring a unique "day for night" look throughout debuted ads for the TL and MDX in May, while others for the TSX, RDX and ILX have followed over the past several weeks. All 5 spots are likely to continue airing across the U.S. throughout the summer.

"We wanted to develop a look for our regional work that could be unique while also giving us the chance to highlight the performance and beauty of these vehicles,"
said John Hage, rp&'s executive creative director.

"The whole visual idea was based on the look the agency wanted," began Brewster Parsons VFX supervisor Andrew Eksner. "The original 'day-for-night' concept was closer to 'day-for-eclipse': The daytime footage was converted to a darker look with the cars protected to keep them brighter," he explained. Gathering the live-action footage using the ARRI Alexa digital camera system, Hunt, director of photography Simon Duggan and the Chelsea Pictures crew used 1 day apiece for each Acura model, shooting for 3 days on the Warner Bros. backlot and 2 days at the Disney ranch.

http://vimeo.com/45736531
Acura 2.5 TL from Brewster Parsons on Vimeo.

Director Bruce Hunt provided these detailed insights into the project. "We really 'got the band back together' for this latest series of 5 Acura spots, bringing together the same great team from rp&, and the same great crew," he began. "My DP Simon Duggan, a fellow Aussie, joined us fresh off the set of 'The Great Gatsby.' The team from rp& served up another great visual challenge for me – a visually striking obstacle course, set at night on a Hollywood studio backlot. It allowed me the opportunity to capture all of that theatricality, while providing the Acuras' drivers all of the freedom of a closed course.

"Our Acura drivers Rich Rutherford and Greg Tracy did some amazing driving over tough night and day courses – memorable reverse 180°s, intercepts and hard drift turns, followed precisely by Randy of Pursuit Systems. The drivers' level of control and professionalism is incredible, and our car prep guys ran like a pit crew.

http://vimeo.com/45736530
Acura 2.5 MDX from Brewster Parsons on Vimeo.

"In dressing the backlot,"
he continued, "my production designer Mark Benson and I ran riot with this false world – it was art school heaven – making references to the surrealists, particularly Fellini's 'And the Ship Sails On' and '8½.' Painted Roman backdrops hung beside surrealist arches and prop statuary stood side-by-side life-sized cutouts of actors, directors and stagehands to populate the set. And most bizarre was interspersing real talent among the cutouts!

"Post was done by the clever and talented team at Brewster Parsons, enhancing the distinct look and feel of the 'day for night' shoot, lifting headlights and simplifying skies and backgrounds ever so slightly,"
Hunt concluded. "The edit was done by David Henegar of Butcher, who loved the pace and dynamics from the start, and did a great job."

http://vimeo.com/45736532
Acura 2.5 TSX from Brewster Parsons on Vimeo.

Since three of the spots were shot during the day and 2 at night, a main challenge for the Brewster Parsons team was making them all match visually. According to Eksner, the project's all-digital production workflow made it easier for him to perform tests during the shoots to ensure everyone was on-board with how they would ultimately look.

"The footage was transferred by MPC's Mark Gethin with a few different color passes - a darker 1 for the background and a brighter 'beauty' 1 for the cars," Eksner said. "Many elements were designed as far as brightness, highlights and other aspects of the look. Using all the color passes, I designed a hero look that pleased everyone."

For the VFX effort, Eksner's colleagues included his fellow Autodesk Flame artists Simon Brewster, Brad Scott, Simon Scott and Emily Bloom, and rotoscope artists Merlin Carroll, Mike Plescia, Holly Horter, Chris Buongiorno and Nathan James.

Along with John Hage, standing behind these spots for rp& are VP, head of art Phillip Squier, copywriter Rich Siegel, art director Brian Hall, VP, executive producer Jack Epsteen and senior producer Erin Finch. The team from Chelsea Pictures also included executive producer Allison Amon and line producer Greg Schultz. The team for Brewster Parsons also includes producer Georgina Poushkine and executive producer Darcy Parsons. Complete spot credits are available upon request.

For more information on Acura, please visit www.acura.com.

About Brewster Parsons
Brewster Parsons is an A-level visual effects studio specializing in photoreal imagery, extraordinary color and brilliant design solutions. Established in Venice, California, in 2007 by Darcy Parsons and award-winning VFX supervisor Simon Brewster, the artists and producers of Brewster Parsons collaborate with leading directors and creatives to produce stunning visual content for all media platforms. For more information, please call 1.310.736.1663 or visit www.brewsterparsons.com.

Contact Info
Darcy Leslie Parsons
Brewster Parsons
Phone: 1.310.736.1663
Contact Darcy via email

Drew Baldwin
Chelsea Pictures
Phone: 1.212.431.3434
Contact Drew via email
Old 07-17-2012, 06:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
As usual Honda has no clue on marketing.
That ad makes little sense. Not to mention, I'd still not purchase an "embellished" Civic if I didn't have kids.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:19 AM
Safety Car

Thumbs up AutoNews

Honda Motor Co.'s quarterly profit surged nearly 8-fold on a rebound in its key North American market, prompting Japan's 3rd-biggest carmaker to reaffirm its full-year earnings outlook and maintain its ambitious global sales target.

Sales volumes surged globally in the three months to June as Honda's restored production network, wrecked by last year's earthquake and tsunami in Japan and floods in Thailand, finally caught up with pent-up demand. The company's market share has recovered to pre-quake levels in the United States, its largest market, industry data shows. Honda reported its quarterly results earlier today.

While Honda still faces headwinds from a strong yen and its April-June profit missed analysts' forecasts, Japan's auto firms are showing signs of strength. Toyota Motor Corp. is set to raise its 2012 global sales target, according to Japanese media reports, while auto parts maker Denso Corp. boosted its full-year operating profit forecast by 22%.

"There's 2 tales here," said Christopher Richter, analyst at CLSA Asia-Pacific Markets, of Honda's quarterly results.

"They've had some huge growth and decent margins but at the same time below what analysts have been expecting."

Honda, which makes Accord sedans and Super Cub motorcycles, was hit much harder than rivals Nissan Motor Co. and Toyota in the last financial year by natural disasters in Japan and Thailand that disrupted supply chains.

It has set a global sales target of 4.3 million vehicles in the financial year to March 2013, up 38.4% from the previous year, with North America to account for about 40% of the total.

"While there are various risk factors such as economic conditions and currency moves, as well as a uncertainty over demand, Honda will maintain its forecast,"
Honda Chief Financial Officer Fumihiko Ike told reporters.

"We think that our (April-June) operating profit of 176 billion yen ($2.25 billion) is basically on track when we compare it with our guideline of 620 billion yen for the financial year," he said.

Revamped Accord

Whether Honda can achieve its ambitious sales target will depend in part on how its flagship Accord sedan is received in the U.S. market after a revamp this fall with a new generation of engines and transmissions to boost fuel efficiency.

But competition has heated up, especially from a resurgent U.S. industry and emerging South Korean rivals.

"There are too many models in a segment that used to be dominated by Japanese brands," Kunihiko Shiohara, managing director at Credit Suisse in Tokyo, said before the announcement.

Japan's auto giants have proved their resilience, however, with Toyota leapfrogging past General Motors Co. as the world's largest automaker in the 1st half of this year as its production network recovered from last year's disasters.

Toyota has forecast record sales of 9.58 million vehicles for this year, and the output revisions that Japanese media said today would soon be announced will bring it close to the 10 million mark.

Denso boosted its full-year operating profit forecast by 22% to 250 billion yen, lifting its shares by 1.8% to their highest close in 3 weeks.

But Japan's exporters have also got little respite from the steady rise in the yen, which reduces their competitiveness against South Korean automakers and other overseas rivals, and eats into income earned abroad when it is converted into yen.

Nissan, which was the quickest to recover from last year's disasters, reported a worse-than-expected 20 percent drop in quarterly profit last week.

The company stuck to its full-year target, however, vowing that a revamped version of its Altima sedan would bolster its earnings.

Honda is falling short of expectations in its latest quarter, said CLSA's Richter, followed the same pattern.

"I think it's similar to what we saw with Nissan -- higher sales expenses in North America ... geared to clearing out inventory and preparing for new launches."

Old 08-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Safety Car

Arrow July 2012

American Honda today reported July 2012 U.S. sales of 116,944 units, an increase of 45.3% compared with July 2011 (an increase of 57.4% based on the daily selling rate*). The Honda Division posted July 2012 sales of 104,119 units, an increase of 46.4% compared with July 2011. Acura’s U.S. July sales of 12,825 units increased 36.4% compared with July 2011.

Honda
- Honda division posts best 7th-month year-to-date sales total since 2008

- Accord sales pace strong at 28,639 units, up more than 70%; Civic sales up more than 78% with 25,004 units sold

- CR-V sets 7th consecutive monthly sales record with a new July record (20,554 units), up more than 47% from July 2011
- Odyssey sales up more than 88% from July 2011, with 11,953 units sold in July

"As our sales momentum continues to build through the summer, Honda is experiencing its best year-to-date sales in four years," said John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president of sales. "With success growing along with inventory, it's wonderful to once again be able to meet the strong retail customer demand for our great Honda products."

Acura
- Continuing its sales success, the new RDX delivered another record sales month (2,664 units), up more than 142% from July 2011

- MDX remains the top selling Acura vehicle with sales of 4,288 units, up more than 24% from July 2011

- Gaining momentum in only its 2nd full month of sales, the all-new ILX posted sales of 1,410 units

"With the MDX continuing its reign as the top 7-passenger luxury SUV, and the new RDX leading the compact luxury segment, Acura light trucks lead the way for the Acura brand," said Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura sales. "With the ILX gaining its stride, Acura is sure to see robust sales increases for many months to come."

*The daily selling rate (DSR) is calculated with 24 days for July 2012 and 26 days for July 2011. Year-to-date, the DSR is calculated with 178 days for 2012 and 178 days for 2011. All other percentages in release are unadjusted; see table for adjusted DSR figures.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Safety Car

Thumbs up AutoNews

American Honda Motor Co.'s sales continued a strong 2012 showing, led by the recently launched CR-V crossover hitting its 7th consecutive monthly sales record.

Last summer's inventories were severely crimped by the Japanese earthquake, skewing this July's 45% gain for American Honda overall. But the 2012 results are strong nonetheless.

American Honda's year-to-date performance is its best since 2008. Honda Division's sales increased by 46% in July, and Acura Division's increased by 36%.

"As our sales momentum continues to build through the summer, Honda is experiencing its best year-to-date sales in 4 years," John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president of sales, said in a statement. "With success growing along with inventory, it's wonderful to be able to meet the strong retail customer demand."

Despite media criticism of the Civic's cost-saving interior, Honda's compact car continues to outsell the Toyota Corolla and is the top seller in the compact segment. Honda sold 25,004 Civics in July -- up 79% over July 2011. For the year, Honda has delivered 187,586 Civics in the United States, up 33% over the same period of 2011 and well ahead of the Corolla's 175,366 units sold.

The sell-down of the Accord mid-sized sedan -- for which dealers have a stair-step volume incentive -- continues to work, with 28,639 units sold in July. It slightly trailed the July sales of the segment-leading Toyota Camry (29,913 units sold), which was redesigned last fall.

Made-in-Japan Honda vehicles continue to be slow sellers, as home-market incentives generate more profit for the parent company than units sold here. Shipments of the Fit were barely at last year's quake-affected levels, while Insight and CR-Z hybrid deliveries are a trickle.

On the truck side in July, the CR-V broke the 20,000-unit mark with 20,554 in sales, crushing the Toyota RAV4 (15,248 units sold) though edged by the Ford Escape (21,572).

The Odyssey minivan handily beat the Toyota Sienna, although the Pilot couldn't keep pace with Toyota's 4Runner. The Crosstour continues to struggle against the more traditionally styled Toyota Venza.

As for Acura, despite heavy advertising weight, the new entry-luxury ILX compact sedan is starting slowly, selling 1,410 units in July -- well below its annual target rate of 40,000 units. It was even outsold by the aging TSX sedan it is designed to replace, a dangerous sign.

Acura sales boss Jeff Conrad said in a release that the ILX is "gaining its stride."

Meanwhile, the recently redesigned RDX compact crossover hit another consecutive monthly sales record. The MDX mid-sized crossover -- slated for a summer 2013 redesign -- is still the brand's volume leader.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Safety Car

Post Aug 2012

American Honda today reported August 2012 U.S. sales of 131,321 units, an increase of 59.5% compared with August 2011 (an increase of 53.6% based on the daily selling rate*). The Honda Division posted August 2012 sales of 115,675 units, an increase of 57.9% compared with August 2011. Acura's U.S. August sales of 15,646 units increased 72.8% compared with August 2011.

Honda

Honda division posts strong August sales of 131,321, best August sales in 2 years
Accord posted its second best sales month of the year at 34,848 units, up 89 percent; Civic sales up 106 percent with 24,897 units sold
CR-V continues sales success at 23,877 units, up more than 44 percent
Odyssey sales up more than 61 percent from August 2011, with 12,750 units sold in August
"It's clear that demand for Honda products continues to be strong, and we're on track to post our best yearly sales results in 4 years," said John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president of sales. "Honda is finishing the summer on a high note, and there's more to come as we build momentum toward the fall launch of the all-new 2013 Accord."
Acura

RDX sets its 4th-consecutive record sales month with 2,926 units, up 156.9% compared to August 2011
MDX remains the top-selling Acura vehicle with sales of 5,549 units, up 77.5% from August 2011
The TL was Acura's best-selling sedan with sales of 3,201, up 33.2%

"Acura sales continue to show great upward momentum, led by our strong light truck lineup,"
said Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura sales. "The all-new 2013 Acura RDX is a hit with buyers thanks to its increased comfort, utility and power, along with class-leading fuel economy."

*The daily selling rate (DSR) is calculated with 27 days for August 2012 and 26 days for August 2011. Year-to-date, the DSR is calculated with 205 days for 2012 and 204 days for 2011. All other percentages in release are unadjusted; see table for adjusted DSR figures.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Race Director

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UF8gD7KPWo0

Honda is aiming to double down. It plans to produce twice as many vehicles as it does today.

That will take it to more than 6 million vehicles over the next five years as the Japanese automaker gears up for ambitious growth after bouncing back from last year's disasters.

"We have now reached the stage of going on the offensive," Honda President Takanobu Ito told reporters Friday, as he announced his worldwide target for the fiscal year ending March 2017. The automaker sold 3.1 million vehicles for the fiscal year through March 2012.

He said emerging markets would drive growth, including India and China, as Honda plans to strengthen its lineup of cheaper models tailored for such regions.

The remodeled Fit subcompact, which will be rolled out globally starting next year, and sold as the Jazz in some regions, will also help boost growth, Ito said at Honda's Tokyo headquarters. The Fit range of cars will also include a small SUV, he said.

Ito said model development will get quicker as Honda's engineers in all regions take part in the effort from the start, while adapting designs and other features to customer needs in each market.

Japanese automakers have been bouncing back from the global production disruptions caused by the disaster in northeastern Japan and Thai floods last year that froze supplies.

Also included in Honda's medium-term strategy:

A fuel-cell vehicle in 2015 in Japan, U.S. and Europe.
Maintaining production of 1 million vehicles in Japan, which has suffered stagnant demand.
Strengthening the mini-car lineup in Japan, introducing six such new models by the end of 2015.
Offering more hybrids, including a new plug-in early next year in the U.S.
Ito did not give prices for the new green cars. Cost is one obstacle for such technology becoming more widespread.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Race Director

Didn't VW make the same kind of projection? I think everyone is making projections that will be hard to meet.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:13 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
"We have now reached the stage of going on the offensive," Honda President Takanobu Ito told reporters Friday, as he announced his worldwide target for the fiscal year ending March 2017. The automaker sold 3.1 million vehicles for the fiscal year through March 2012.

He said emerging markets would drive growth, including India and China, as Honda plans to strengthen its lineup of cheaper models tailored for such regions.

Good luck with that.

Japan carmakers halt China business

Protests show no signs of abating as dealerships targeted

Several Japanese automakers have suspended production in China after demonstrators torched and vandalized dealerships selling Japanese brands, reflecting rising tensions between the governments over disputed islands in the East China Sea.

Toyota Motor Corp., Honda Motor Co. and Mazda Motor Corp. have suspended some operations, and many dealerships are closed until protests abate, according to Japanese media.

The territorial dispute over the uninhabited islands called the Senkaku islands by the Japanese and the Diaoyu by the Chinese shows no sign of abating, analysts said. Most of them don't expect prolonged tensions, but they say Chinese consumers may shun Japanese brands for a time.

Japanese shops and car dealerships are often targeted, as the authorities appear to turn a blind eye, at least for a while.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz27JWoeKhF
Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
This is real bad, because China has already displaced the US to become the world's largest market for new automobiles.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:21 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Every time I see those riots I feel bad for those Japanese car owners but at the same time can't help but laugh. WTF is the justification here?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:26 AM
Safety Car

Talking Deleted Scene w/ RDX

Old 10-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Safety Car

Post Sept

American Honda today reported September 2012 U.S. sales of 117,211 units, an increase of 30.9% compared with September 2011. The Honda Division posted September 2012 sales of 102,845 units, an increase of 29.3% compared with September 2011. Acura's U.S. September sales of 14,366 units increased 43.5% compared with September 2011.

Honda

Accord leads all Honda vehicles in September with 29,182 in sales posting a 56.6% gain compared to the year prior
Civic gains 57.0 percent compared with September 2011 with 21,546 in sales
CR-V sets a new September record with sales of 22,268, up 13.6%

"The all-new 2013 Accord hit dealerships in mid-September and our dealers are already seeing a significant increase in customer traffic surrounding the new model," said John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president of sales. "Combined with the strength of key models such as Civic, CR-V and Odyssey, Honda is once again firing on all cylinders as we enter fall."

Acura

RDX sets its 5th-consecutive record sales month with 2,938 units, up 119.9% compared to September 2011
MDX retains the top-selling Acura title with sales of 4,692 units, up more than 60.4% from September 2011
TL sedan sales up 29.1% from last year with 3,236 in monthly sales

"Acura's core models of TL and MDX continue as a driving force for the brand," said Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura sales. "Now, we have new products such as RDX setting monthly sales records and the ILX continuing to carve out a foothold as the gateway to our lineup."

The daily selling rate (DSR) is calculated with 25 days for September 2012 and 25 days for September 2011. Year-to-date, the DSR is calculated with 230 days for 2012 and 229 days for 2011. All other percentages in release are unadjusted; see table for adjusted DSR figures.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:12 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Brazil

Japan's Honda Motor Co. said on Monday it plans to sell its Acura brand in Brazil beginning in 2015, making it the latest carmaker to aim its luxury vehicle lineup at the country's buoyant high-end consumer market.

Honda CEO Takanobu Ito announced the arrival of Acura at the Sao Paulo auto show, where Honda was not the only company eyeing a luxury car market that has grown nearly 7-fold in 5 years.

"The rich are becoming richer in Brazil," General Motors' South American chief Jaime Ardila told reporters at the show. "It's time to start thinking about bringing Cadillac to Brazil."

Rising wages, especially for scarce highly skilled professionals, have made Brazil a bright spot in the global market for luxury goods. But both Honda and GM said luxury car sales in Brazil are still too slim to consider making it a base for producing their up-market offerings.

German automaker BMW AG, on the other hand, has decided to take the plunge with an investment of 200 million euros ($261 million) in a Brazilian factory announced on Monday after top executives met with President Dilma Rousseff.

The new factory in Brazil's southern state of Santa Catarina will begin producing by the end of 2014 at a rate of about 30,000 vehicles per year, Vice Chairman Ian Robertson told reporters.

That is a sharp jump from the roughly 15,000 imported cars BMW sold in Brazil last year, cornering nearly a 3rd of Brazil's high-end auto segment. Luxury vehicles represent just 1.3% of sales in the world's 4th largest auto market.

Brazil, China

Ford Motor Co. said in August that it would launch its luxury Lincoln brand in China within 2 years, but global sales chief Jim Farley said on Monday that the U.S. automaker has no plans to bring the brand to Brazil.

"We don't have any announcements to make here about Lincoln expanding beyond (China), but obviously as we refresh the entire lineup, we'll continue to look at where it makes sense," he told reporters at the auto show. "After we flawlessly execute there (in China), we can have more conversations about the global expansion."

GM is already pushing to boost Cadillac sales in China, the world's largest auto market, and hopes to compete for leadership in luxury car sales in the U.S. market within a few years.

GM's Ardila said while the company is considering selling Cadillacs, the brand portfolio will not expand to include either Europe's Opel brand or Buick. "Our brands in Brazil would be Chevrolet and Cadillac. Just that," he said.

Daimler AG's Mercedes was the 1st luxury automaker to build cars in Brazil, starting in 1999, but it ceased car production in December 2010 and switched to commercial vehicles.

Honda CEO Ito also announced plans to update the company's small cars in Brazil, the Fit and City, and bring a compact SUV into the market as part of a lineup overhaul beginning in 2014.

The new vehicles are part of Honda's push to sell 1 million autos in Brazil over the next 5 years, picking up the sales pace from about 93,000 vehicles in 2011.

Last edited by TSX69; 10-23-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:01 AM
Safety Car

Unhappy Sandy

Luxury-car brands such as Honda Motor Co. (7267)’s Acura and Daimler AG’s Mercedes-Benz will take a disproportionate hit from Hurricane Sandy, with as much as 25% of U.S. sales coming from cities in the storm’s path.

“The last week of the month is typically a big week in terms of new vehicle sales,” Larry Dixon, senior analyst for the National Automobile Dealers Association, based in McLean, Virginia. “Everyone’s trying to finish off the month on a high note. We might see October sales down just a bit from what everybody had anticipated.”

The New York, Washington and Philadelphia markets account for a quarter of Acura’s U.S. sales, 24% of Mercedes- Benz’s and 23% for Bayerische Motoren Werke AG and Volvo Cars, according to auto researcher Edmunds.com.

States affected by the hurricane, the biggest-ever Atlantic Ocean tropical storm, are home to 4,751 dealerships selling new cars, according to data compiled by the auto dealers’ group. Dealers increase sales at the end of the month and automakers report sales monthly at the beginning of the following month.

Those dealers may lose the last 3 days of October sales as Sandy pummels the Eastern seaboard, keeping prospective car buyers home.

Honda, Toyota

Honda is the most popular brand in New York, and in Washington it’s Toyota Motor Corp. (7203), according to Edmunds.

October is usually 1 of the slowest months for auto sales, with seasonally-adjusted sales about 1% lower than in September, Dixon said.

Sales of cars and light trucks in October may accelerate to a 14.8 million annualized rate, taking into account seasonal adjustments, according to the average estimate of 13 analysts surveyed by Bloomberg this week and last week. The pace was 13.3 million a year earlier and 14.9 million in September, according to researcher Autodata Corp.

September’s sales rate was the best since March 2008, before a global credit crisis.

To contact the reporter on this story: Angela Greiling Keane in Chicago at agreilingkea@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Bernard Kohn at bkohn2@bloomberg.net
Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Oct 2012

American Honda today reported October 2012 U.S. sales of 106,973 units, an increase of 8.8 percent compared with October 2011. The Honda Division posted October 2012 sales of 94,810 units, an increase of 8.7% compared with October 2011. Acura U.S. October sales of 12,163 units increased 9.4% compared with October 2011.

Honda
- Accord leads all Honda vehicles in October with sales of 28,349 units, posting a 25% gain compared to the year prior, as production of all-new 2013 Accord has ramped up

- Civic gains 27% compared with October 2011 with sales of 20,687 units

- CR-V, Crosstour, Ridgeline and Fit all post October sales gains

"The strong momentum of Honda sales continues despite the end-of-month timing of Hurricane Sandy, but our chief concern right now is with those who have been impacted by this devastating natural disaster," said John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president of Sales. "With sales of the all-new Accord building each month, we look forward to Honda's solid end-of-year finish."

Acura
- RDX sets its 6th-consecutive monthly sales record with 2,659 units, up 62% compared with October 2011 and is on track for an all-time annual sales mark

- MDX and RDX combine to set new October light-truck sales record of 6,476 units, up 18% from October 2011

"Acura's 1-2punch of luxury performance SUVs is obviously resonating with consumers, with new October records set for both RDX and our truck lineup," said Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura Sales. "With our sedan lineup growing stronger via the new ILX and the upcoming debut of the all-new Acura RLX, Acura continues to gain momentum."

The daily selling rate (DSR) is calculated with 26 days for October 2012 and 26 days for October 2011. Year-to-date, the DSR is calculated with 256 days for 2012 and 255 days for 2011. All other percentages in release are unadjusted; see table for adjusted DSR figures.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Safety Car

Arrow LA Times

Acura Seeks a Soultion to Its Identity Crisis
The Honda brand, seen as upscale but not luxury, is pinning its hopes for a revival on its new flagship RLX sedan. It will make its debut at the L.A. Auto Show.

When Honda's Acura brand shows off its new flagship RLX sedan at the Los Angles Auto Show on Wednesday, it will be confronted with a marketing conundrum — how to brand the car as a luxury rival to BMW or Lexus rather than just a more expensive Honda.

It's a problem of Honda's own making. When it launched Acura back in 1986, Honda conceived an "intercept" brand.

"It was to be the next step for the Accord owner," said John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., "a place to move up without going to the European luxury models."

That proved successful for years. Acura sales peaked at nearly 210,000 in 2005, according to automotive website MotorIntelligence. But as luxury car competition grew more varied and fierce, Acura became what Mendel called a "tweener" brand: upscale but not quite luxury. Sales plummeted to barely 123,000 last year — about half the annual volume of each of the top luxury makes: BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Lexus.

"Acura is not defined, other than to be a step up from Honda," said Thilo Koslowski, an automotive analyst at research firm Gartner Inc. "It needs a place within the premium domain. They need to be unique and differentiated."

Honda officials need look no further than the L.A. Auto Show to see the stiffening competition in selling cars to the affluent. Volkswagen's Audi division is rolling out 4 new models with powerful and efficient diesel engines, an increasingly sought-after drivetrain. BMW is showing off 2 fast and slick concepts, an electric and a plug-in hybrid. Jaguar and Land Rover, newly owned by Indian automaker Tata Motors, are together bringing 3 new models: a sport convertible, a flagship sedan and the latest Range Rover.

In all, 42 auto brands are bringing hundreds of new models to the show this week, which opens to the media Wednesday and Thursday, and to the public Friday through Dec. 9. About 50 of those models, including the flagship Acura, are world or North American debuts. The show, expected to draw about 1 million people to the Los Angeles Convention Center, also is a showcase for the latest automotive technology and for aftermarket makers of custom cars and parts.

The stakes are high for all the automakers bringing fresh models to 1 of the world's leading car shows. But no car means more to any automaker than the RLX means to Acura.

The RLX will define a brand that needs an identity. Other luxury leaders have well-established personalities, Koslowski said. BMW is known for design, sportiness, driving dynamics and technology. Lexus has carved out comfort, customer service and reliability. Jaguar has captured style, status and sportiness.

"That doesn't leave much room for Acura," Koslowski said.

Mendel wants to position Acura as a "smart luxury" brand. Mendel defines that as efficient and useful technology, wrapped in an elegant package that doesn't scream excess. He believes that the last recession changed consumer appetites for luxury goods. They pay for quality but are less interested in "look-at-me" consumption.

This means that the luxury market, while still growing, will downshift in both size and price. Fewer buyers will opt for, say, the stretched S class Mercedes-Benz or the long 7 series BMW sedans. Most of the recent growth in luxury brands owes to crossovers and cars at the entry point of the luxury segment, said Larry Dominique, president of ALG Inc., an auto industry data and consulting company.

That plays to Acura's strategy as a value-oriented luxury brand, said Dominique, the former vice president of product planning for Nissan in North and South America. It has 1 of the top small SUVs in the segment, the RDX, and is expected to announce a redesign of the larger MDX next year. Its newly released ILX sedan hits that entry point for the luxury segment but has not earned high marks from the automotive press.

That further raises the importance of the RLX, a stately sedan with a gentle "S" curve across the side body panels, giving the car a sense of motion.

Powering the RLX, which will go on sale this spring as a 2014 model, is a new 310-horsepower direct-injected V-6 that's expected to get fuel economy ratings of 20 miles per gallon in the city, 31 on the highway and 24 combined. Honda has not provided specific pricing but did say the sticker prices will start at less than $50,000.

Later in 2013, Acura will offer an RLX all-wheel-drive hybrid producing 370 horsepower and achieving 30 mpg in all conditions.

Hoping to brand Acura as having "efficient technology," as Mendel put it, the RLX will offer safety features that protect passengers and prevent collisions. These include lane departure warning, forward collision warning and automatic braking, as well as adaptive cruise control that keeps the vehicle at a constant distance behind other cars and various blind-spot information systems, such as a rear-view camera.

"Acura has always lived off the crumbs of Honda,"
Mendel said. "Now it needs to be a real destination brand."

Volkswagen provides a model with its revamping of Audi into 1 of today's hottest luxury brands, Dominique said.

"By going to unique design, unique powertrains and unique tuning, VW has done a good job of getting separation between VW and Audi," Dominique said.

For now, the RLX will carry Acura's identity. That starts with a cleaned-up dashboard, replacing 1 much-criticized for offering too many buttons and complicated controls.

"It is a massive simplification and will be more intuitive to use," Mendel said.

Sometime in the next 3 years, Acura will also launch the next NSX, last produced in 2005. The new version will be an all-wheel-drive hybrid supercar with styling evocative of a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

"NSX will be the sizzle for the brand," Mendel said. "You will think that anybody who can do that can make a real cool passenger car."

jerry.hirsch@latimes.com
Old 11-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Safety Car

Cool Not Sure If This is the Right Thready but ...

The Los Angeles trio Pac Div recruited the indie rapper Mac Miller for the single "Black Acura," off their album GMB, and they are clearly enjoying his company in the track's new video. It features shots of each member under colored filters and in ordinary spaces: a living room, a laundromat, a bar.

"The energy behind this song has a very laid back [yet] aggressive feel," Pac Div member Mibbs tells Rolling Stone. "It's the perfect medium for what we wanted to convey to the fans: a quiet cockiness." The arrogance is certainly there – the hook is "Y'all think I made it/ I'm just getting started" – but there's also a strong amount of humor, too. After Mibbs delivers the line "I just got excited, man/ I almost farted," his blonde companion looks over, disgusted.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:33 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Honda has not provided specific pricing but did say the sticker prices will start at less than $50,000.
Hope this is true......hopefully the previous estimate of $55k for the base FWD model was wrong....
Old 12-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Safety Car

Post Nov

American Honda reports an all-time record for the month of November, with November 2012 U.S. sales of 116,580 units, an increase of 38.9% compared with November 2011. The Honda Division posted November 2012 sales of 104,334 units, an increase of 41.0% compared with November 2011. Acura U.S. November sales of 12,246 units represents an increase of 23.6% over November 2011.

Honda
- Segment-leading Civic breaks 12-year-old November record (1990) with sales of 30,075 units, up 75% from a year ago

- All-new Accord continues to ramp up with 26,248 sales, up 82% from last November

- CR-V sets it 9th monthly sales record for 2012, up 36 percent to 22,333 sales

"We are now surpassing sales records set pre-recession, a true sign that our business has recovered," said John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president of Sales. "Honda's all-time best November demonstrates the fundamental strength of our core products. The new Accord is hitting its stride, and with the new Civic now arriving in dealerships, we're ready for a strong finish to 2012."

Acura
- RDX sets its 7th-consecutive monthly sales record, up 129% from a year ago with 3,036 sales

- MDX was the top selling Acura model in November, with 3,368 sales

- ILX gains traction as the top selling Acura sedan in November, with 2,108 sales

"While the MDX leads the lineup in sales, the record-setting sales of RDX and ILX are doing a great job as the gateway to the Acura lineup in bringing new customers to the brand," said Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura Sales. "The combination of Acura's growing lineup and rising industry sales are fueling Acura's momentum as we head into 2013."

The daily selling rate (DSR) is calculated with 25 days for November 2012 and 25 days for November 2011. Year-to-date, the DSR is calculated with 281 days for 2012 and 280 days for 2011. All other percentages in release are unadjusted; see table for adjusted DSR figures.

For more information about Honda vehicles, please visit www.automobiles.honda.com. For media inquiries please visit www.hondanews.com. For more information about Acura vehicles, please visit www.acura.com. For media inquiries please visit www.acuranews.com.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Haha lots of people bought the 2012 Civic...there must be some really tempting incentives....

Accord looks really strong, as is the RDX and MDX.

It also seems like the ILX is gaining traction, I'm guessing it's mainly due to the more aggressive lease deals that are available. I still don't think it will reach its true sales potential unless it gets some extra features and ED powertrains without adding any $$.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Safety Car

Post Dec 2012

Buoyed by strong December 2012 U.S. sales of 132,774 units, an increase of 26.2% compared with December 2011, American Honda posted annual vehicle sales of 1,422,785 units in 2012, up 24.0 percent compared with 2011. This makes 2012 American Honda's 4th-best sales year ever, and its best sales result since 2008.

Honda
The Honda Division posted December 2012 sales of 116,740 units, an increase of 26.8% compared with December 2011 and less than 500 units shy of an all-time December record. The Honda Division's 2012 annual sales of 1,266,569 increased 23.7% compared with 2011. The three top-selling Honda models for 2012 were Accord, 331,872; Civic, 317,909; and CR-V, 281,652.
- Civic sets all-time December record with sales of 33,118 units, up 61% from last year

- All-new 2013 Accord sales up 66% from last December with sales of 29,428 units

- CR-V sets an all-time annual sales record (281,652) and its 10th monthly sales record since launching last December, up 19% from last year to 25,733 sales
"Honda began the year intent on recovery," said John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president of Sales. "We ended 2012 with multiple product awards, a host of sales records, Honda's 2nd best December ever, and tremendous momentum as we head into 2013."

Acura
Acura U.S. December sales of 16,034 units represents an increase of 22.1% over December 2011. The Acura Division's year-end sales totaled 156,216, up 26.7% compared with 2011 results - and the brand's best sales results since 2007. The MDX led the division with annual sales of 50,854, followed by the TL with sales of 33,572 and the RDX with sales of 29,520.
- RDX sets its 8th-consecutive monthly sales record, up 155% from a year ago with 4,024 sales - setting monthly sales records in each month since going on sale in May 2012

- MDX was the top selling Acura model in December, with 5,069 sales, up 10% from 2011

- ILX is top selling Acura sedan in December with 2,485 sales
"December was another month of tremendous sales growth fueled by our newest products, the Acura ILX luxury compact sedan and the RDX crossover SUV," said Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura Sales, "Acura is primed for even more success in 2013, with the upcoming launch of the brand's flagship RLX sedan and the unveiling of the 2014 MDX Prototype at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show."

The daily selling rate (DSR) is calculated with 26 days for December 2012 and 27 days for December 2011. Year-to-date, the DSR is calculated with 307 days for 2012 and 307 days for 2011. All other percentages in release are unadjusted; see table for adjusted DSR figures.

For more information about Honda vehicles, please visit www.automobiles.honda.com. For media inquiries please visit www.hondanews.com. For more information about Acura vehicles, please visit www.acura.com. For media inquiries please visit www.acuranews.com.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Sounds like a strong month but the question is how do these numbers compare with the competition?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Safety Car

Arrow Competition #s

December Sales #s
Verano 4,820
ILX 2,485; hybrid 119
CT 1,598 -26.5%

ATS 2,979
IS 2,497 -28.5%
TSX 2,142 -37.3%; wagon 414 +45.7%
Regal 1,526 -50.6%
1series 757 -17.4%
A3 397 -37.5%
Bclass 1

3series 10,745 +26.6%
ES 7,987 +69.9%
Cclass 7,757 +0.2%
Gsedan 4,482 -17%; coupe 1,034 -8.7%
LaCrosse 4,074 -24%
A4 3,806 +2.3%
CTS 3,372 -37.8%
TL 2,246 -29%
MKZ 1,630 -33.1%

5series 8,385 +71.6%
Eclass 6,984 +31.7%
XTS 2,939
GS 2,796 +1,396.7%
A6 1,875 +1.1%
MKS 1,350 -1.9%
M 849 -21.7%
RL 18 -62.6%

7series 1,422 +16.7%
LS 1,286 +26.5%
Sclass 1,110 +3.4%
A8 900 +32.7%
Town Car 52 -84.1%

RX 12,534 +13.1%
x3 5,162 +46.1%
RDX 4,024 +165.2%
Q5 3,626 +55.2%
GLK 3,004 +28%
EX 334 -38.6%

SRX 6,400 -12.6%
Enclave 6,052 +8.9%
x5 5,722 -4.7%
MDX 5,069 +14.7%
Mclass 4,241 -20.2%
JX 2,708
MKX 2,617 -2.4%
Q7 1,493 +62.5%
GX 1,407 +19.9%
FX 988 -9.9%
MKT 653 +13.8%

X6 1,039 +36.5%
ZDX 50 -39.6%

500 3,707 +59%
Cooper 3,011 +9%
Spark 2,229
Smart 996 +40.3%
iQ 576 +141.2%

Versa 10,618 -3.6%
Dart 6,105
Sonic 5,990 +4.3%
Fiesta 5,612 +52.8%
Fit 3,680 -25.6%
2 2,967 +129.6%
Accent 2,933
Golf 2,854 +4%
Rio 2,343
Yaris 1,999 -54%

Civic 33,118 +67.4%; hybrid 512 -5.9%
Corolla 24,679 +22%
Focus 22,604 +58.3%
Cruze 21,230 +27.3%
Elantra 19,024
Jetta 15,661 +8.6%
3 10,297 +11.2%
Sentra 7,755 -11%
Impreza 5,863 +7.3%
Forte 4,276

Camry 31,407 -2.7%
Accord 29,428 +73%
Altima 23,966 -7.7%
Sonata 20,826
Fusion 19,283 -10.8%
Passat 14,462 +110.1%
Optima 12,008
Malibu 11,630 -10.8%
200 9,080 -1%
Avenger 7,382 +19%
Legacy 4,217 -8.8%
6 1,384 -54.9%

Impala 9,641 -8%
Charger 7,867 +9%
300 7,175 +40%
Taurus 6,159 +9%
Avalon 5,171 +66.3%
Maxima 4,137 -18.4%
Azera 847

Prius 20,040 +22.4%
C-MAX 4,310
Volt 2,633 +72.@
LEAF 1,489 +56.1%
Insight 310 -53.3%
CR-Z 243 -55.3%

Camaro 5,837 -13.6%
Mustang 5,537 +9.5%
Challenger 3,942 +20%
Genesis 2,397
FRS 1,495
BRZ 497
370z 406 -9.6%
MX5 Miata 394 +20.7%

OutBack 12,072 -10.1%
Venza 4,423 +46.4%
CrossTour 2,183 +75.1%

CR-V 25,733 +23.8%
Escape 20,131 -21.3%
Equinox 19,551 +7.5%
Rav4 14,351 +5.6%
Rogue 11,488 -6.5%
Forester 8,764 +1.9%
Journey 7,688 +63%
CX5 5,956
Patriot 4,566 +4%
Tucson 3,745
Tiguan 3,310 +37.7%
Compass 3,131 -26%
OutLander Sport 1,770
Sportage 1,696

Grand Cherokee 17,121 -1%
Explorer 16,695 +20.4%
Edge 12,434 +3%
HighLander 12,191 +7.5%
Pilot 11,366 +1.4%
Sorento 10,967
Pathfinder 7,939 +198.1%
Traverse 7,430 -20.3%
SantaFe 7,279
Durango 5,216 +9%
Murano 3,999 -26.9%
CX9 3,353 -20.3%
Toureg 1,408 +26.1%
Tribeca 189 -41.7%

Caravan 14,160 +19%
Sienna 10,885 -2.3%
Town & Country 9,258 -4%
Odyssey 9,126 -17.5%
Flex 2,172 -3.6%
Quest 1,200 -32.4%
Routan 560 +5.1%

2012 #s
Verano 41,042
CT 17,673 +22.9%
ILX 12,251; hybrid 972

TSX 28,865 -6.7%; wagon 4,234 +31.9%
IS 27,708 -6.6%
Regal 24,616 -38.7%
1series 7,689 -12.9%
A3 7,205 +9.8%
ATS 7,008
Bclass 29 +52.6%

3series 99,602 +5.5%
Cclass 81,697 +17.9%
LaCrosse 57,076 -2.4%
ES 56,158 +37.4%
CTS 46,979 -14.6%
Gsedan 46,828 +7%; coupe 13,016 -10.2%
A4 39,530 +9.4%
TL 33,572 +7.5%
MKZ 28,053 +1.9%

Eclass 65,171 +3.9%
5series 56,798 +10.3%
GS 22,160 +491.6%
A6 18,998 +70.8%
XTS 15,049
MKS 12,524 +2.5%
M 9,130 -15.6%
RL 379 -65.4%

Sclass 11,794 -3.8%
7series 11,098 -1.8%
LS 8,345 -12.8%
A8 6,002 +5.3%
Town Car 1,001 -89.4%

RX 95,381 +15.5%
x3 35,173 +26.6%
RDX 29,520 +94.3%
GLK 29,364 +20.8%
Q5 28,671 +15.1% +55.2%
EX 3,495 -42%

SRX 57,485 +1%
Enclave 56,703 -2.9%
MDX 50,854 +17.5%
x5 44,445 +9.6%
Mclass 38,101 +6.3%
MKX 25,107 +7.3%
JX 21,674
GX 11,039 -4.9%
Q7 11,008 +22.3%
FX 10,424 +4.9%
MKT 7,094 +41.2%

x6 6,749 +9%
ZDX 775 -50.4%

500 43,772 +121%
Cooper 29,278 +4.3%
Spark 12,385
Smart 10,009 +92.2%
iQ 8,878 +3,480.2%

Versa 113,327 +13.6%
Sonic 81,247 +414.9%
Accent 61,004
Fiesta 56,775 -17.2%
Fit 49,346 -16.7%
Golf 40,885 +17.8%
Rio 40,275
Yaris 30,580 -6.5%
Dart 25,303
2 19,315 +38.4%

Civic 317,909 +43.7%; hybrid 7,156 +52.2%
Corolla 290,947 +21.1%
Focus 245,922 +40%
Cruze 237,758 +2.6%
Elantra 202,034
Jetta 170,424 -3.9%
3 123,361 +20.4%
Sentra 114,991 -7.5%
Forte 75,681
Impreza 68,175 +148.9%

Camry 404,886 +31.2%
Accord 331,872 +40.8%
Altima 302,934 +12.6%
Fusion 241,263 -2.7%
Sonata 230,605
Malibu 210,951 +3%
Optima 152,399
200 125,476 +44%
Passat 117,023 +413.7%
Avenger 96,890 +51%
Legacy 47,127 +11.2%
6 33,756 -5.5%

Impala 169,351 -1.2%
Charger 92,592 +18%
300 70,747 +95%
Taurus 66,066 +4%
Maxima 59,349 +1%
Avalon 29,556 +2.2%
Azera 8,431

Prius 236,659 +73.4%
Volt 23,461 +205.8%
C-MAX 13,309
LEAF 9,819 +1.5%
Insight 5,846 -62.4%
CR-Z 4,192 -63%

Camaro 84,391 -4.4%
Mustang 82,995 +17.8%
Challenger 43,119 +9%
Genesis 33,973
FRS 11,417
370z 7,338 +0.1%
MX5 Miata 6,305 +11.1%
BRZ 4,144

OutBack 117,552 +12.6%
Venza 43,095 +10.8%
CrossTour 20,848 +16%

CR-V 281,652 +29%
Escape 261,008 +2.6%
Equinox 218,621 +13.1%
Rav4 171,877 +30%
Rogue 142,349 +14.3%
Journey 79,563 +44%
Forester 76,347 +.2%
Patriot 62,010 +13%
Tucson 48,878
CX5 43,319
Compass 40,235
Sportage 36,357
Tiguan 31,731 +22.1%

Explorer 158,344 +16.7%
Grand Cherokee 154,734 +21%
Edge 127,969 +5.1%
HighLander 121,055 +19.6%
Sorento 119,597
Pilot 114,848 -1.2%
Traverse 85,606 -20.1%
SantaFe 71,016
Murano 51,675 -3.6%
Pathfinder 42,621 +64.3%
Durango 42,589 -18%
CX9 24,442 -29%
Toureg 10,553 +40.1%
Tribeca 2,075 -25.7%

Caravan 141,468 +28%
Odyssey 125,980 +17.7%
Sienna 114,725 +3%
Town & Country 111,744 +18%
Flex 28,224 +2.9%
Quest 18,275 +49.8%
Routan 10,483 -16%
Old 01-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
From today's Cleveland Plain Dealer:

Luxury cars getting less flashy say Acura, Audi, Lincoln, Hyundai and Kia

http://www.cleveland.com/business/in...l#incart_river

Here's John Mendel's (Honda) take from the article:

Originally Posted by John Mendel
"We think there's a move to a more rational consumption of luxury products, inside the auto industry and out," American Honda sales chief John Mendel said. "A few years ago, people would go to Tiffany's and buy anything to get the blue box. Now they're still buying at Tiffany's, but they're asking for a white box."
Click the link for more from the other automakers.

OK.....so says every luxury automaker who's losing to BMW and Mercedes, who continue to make traditional luxury cars AND smaller cars with more features.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Safety Car

Arrow January 2013

American Honda today reported January 2013 U.S. sales of 93,626 units, an increase of 12.8 percent compared with January 2012. The Honda brand posted January 2013 sales of 84,137 units, an increase of 12.7 percent compared with January 2012. Acura U.S. January sales of 9,489 units increased 13.2 percent compared with January 2012.

Sales of the all-new 2013 Honda Accord were up more than 75 percent from last year - with 10,000 more Accords sold this January than in January 2012. The totally revised Accord has already become one of the most decorated vehicles in Honda history, garnering a host of awards that include being named for a record 27th time to Car and Driver magazine's 10Best Cars list, as well as winning key comparison tests against its mid-size rivals in comparisons from Car and Driver and Cars.com/USA Today/"MotorWeek".

Honda
- Sales of the all-new Accord are up 75.2 percent from last January with sales of 23,924 units
- Reflecting key changes, the new 2013 Crosstour sees sales jump 38.2 percent from last January
- Pilot sales are up 16.3 percent compared with last January, with sales of 7,405 units

"The all-new Accord has the Honda brand right where we left off in 2012 - powering significant sales gains in the new year," said John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president of Sales. "With our strongest vehicle lineup ever and continued sales momentum, we're optimistic 2013 will be a great year for the Honda brand."

Acura
- RDX sets its 9th-consecutive monthly sales record, up over 181.6 percent from last January with sales of 2,489 units
- MDX was the top selling Acura model in January, with sales of 2,575 units
- ILX was again the top selling Acura sedan in January with sales of 1,558 units

"Acura's newest products continue to drive our sales momentum as we begin a new year," said Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura Sales. "With the positive reception of the all-new Acura MDX Prototype in Detroit, and the upcoming launch of our new flagship RLX sedan, Acura is poised for even greater success in 2013."

The daily selling rate (DSR) is calculated with 25 days for January 2013 and 24 days for January 2012. Year-to-date, the DSR is calculated with 25 days for 2012 and 24 days for 2011. All percentages in release are unadjusted; see table for adjusted DSR figures.

Quick Reply: Acura: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News