Acura: RLX News

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013 | 06:42 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
So in other words, 1/4 mile will be slower than what a "true" 370hp car.

Not that it matters.

but wait, more rear leg room and superior ground clearance will make up for it.
Don't forget the proper location of A/C vents to the Nav Screen.
Old 04-25-2013 | 09:26 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by knavinusa
The Accord 6MT is a low 14 second, maybe high 13 car at best with a good driver. The BMW will run low-mid 13s all day long even with a mediocre driver.
so C&D people are mediocre drivers. only half second difference in 0-120mph timings. Accord 6AT while 335 is 6MT. Accord is on grand touring all seaon while 335 is on summer performance tires. put identical set of tires Accord coupe is likely to be faster car.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...an-test-review
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ic-test-review
Yes... because AWD allows your all-seasons to stop like winter tires in the snow.
All those SUV dont need winter tires. they are sufficient capable.
Old 04-26-2013 | 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
so C&D people are mediocre drivers. only half second difference in 0-120mph timings. Accord 6AT while 335 is 6MT. Accord is on grand touring all seaon while 335 is on summer performance tires. put identical set of tires Accord coupe is likely to be faster car.

Summer tires will not make the accord faster Especially on a roll out where traction isnt as critical.

You really dont get what snow tires are for do you? They arent so much for the Traction or ability to go thru more snow(which they do help for it) But What they offer is superior braking (where at 30mph there is over a 30ft difference in stopping distances) and cornering (avoidance maneuverability) that NO All season can match, and that is something that has NOTHING to do with AWD (because if there isnt traction for the tires awd isnt going to be able to do anything, simple physics)
Once again, know your facts about snow tire benefits.
Old 04-26-2013 | 09:38 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Your going to make the ricer kids mad if you keep saying stuff like this.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Summer tires will not make the accord faster Especially on a roll out where traction isnt as critical.
Old 04-26-2013 | 11:22 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Really i thought it was 370 HP with battery included. I do not believe RLX will feel like it has 370hp without the help from battery.
Peak total system power is about 370 hp, but the car feels stronger thanks to the instantaneous torque of the electric motors, which assist propulsion up to 75 mph.
Yea the rated total output is 370hp with battery included. But the quote from C/D seems to suggests that with a full charge, below 75mph, the car feels like it has more than 370hp. After 75mph, still at full charge, it starts to feel like a 370hp car. It doesn't say what happens if the battery is out of juice. Like you, I'd assume that it will feel like a car with less than 370hp.
Old 04-26-2013 | 11:26 AM
Team Owner

First of all, 335i have RFT and they are shit.

It appears that their driver is Mediocre to get 5.3 secs in 335 because even i can get 5.3 secs from 0-60 and you would assume their "Professional" driver should be better.
Put the heavier RFT on accord? sure if you want to make it slower.
and to get better MPG, BMW put 225 all around on the non Msport 335. So you have no traction at all with 300 lbs of torque.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 04-26-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-26-2013 | 12:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Black Tire
Your going to make the ricer kids mad if you keep saying stuff like this.
I should have said faster than the car he is comparing to.
Old 04-26-2013 | 02:30 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by iforyou
Yea the rated total output is 370hp with battery included. But the quote from C/D seems to suggests that with a full charge, below 75mph, the car feels like it has more than 370hp. After 75mph, still at full charge, it starts to feel like a 370hp car. It doesn't say what happens if the battery is out of juice. Like you, I'd assume that it will feel like a car with less than 370hp.
When the battery is out of juice, the car will very likely feel like just have the gasoline-generated 310hp.
Old 04-26-2013 | 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
When the battery is out of juice, the car will very likely feel like just have the gasoline-generated 310hp.
I dont want a vehicle that runs out of juice. I want it when i want it as long as i want it. I hope the system on these cars (nsx/rdx) rapidly recharges
Old 04-26-2013 | 05:24 PM
Team Owner

If that is the case, then RLX SHAWD will be even slower than the FWD RLX when the battery is out of juice.
Old 04-26-2013 | 05:29 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I dont want a vehicle that runs out of juice. I want it when i want it as long as i want it. I hope the system on these cars (nsx/rdx) rapidly recharges
Plus the added weight of the hybrid system too.

My understanding is that the torque vectoring part would still work though since only the front motor will not be generating thrust. For instance, when turning left, the left rear wheel will be charging the battery and transferring that power to overdrive the right rear wheel.

Last edited by iforyou; 04-26-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2013 | 02:53 AM
Safety Car

It does. see Civic Sedan Si with Pilot Sport tires. 0-60 in 6.1 seconds. 0-100mph in 15.7 seconds.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ed-test-review

Civic Sedan has power to weight ratio alot worse than Accord V6 coupe. Civic Sedan lacks DI engine. Imagine Accord Coupe V6 6MT with DI engine and LSD with Pilot Super Sport. It will be in class of M3.
You really dont get what snow tires are for do you? They arent so much for the Traction or ability to go thru more snow(which they do help for it) But What they offer is superior braking (where at 30mph there is over a 30ft difference in stopping distances) and cornering (avoidance maneuverability) that NO All season can match, and that is something that has NOTHING to do with AWD (because if there isnt traction for the tires awd isnt going to be able to do anything, simple physics)
I know all those things. the point i am making is All season is sufficent compromise with AWD system.
Old 04-27-2013 | 08:26 PM
6G TLX-S

I know all those things. the point i am making is All season is sufficent compromise with AWD system.
I too know all those things. But I'm also one step ahead than just plain knowing.

I have bought snow tires (not just regular snow tires, but high-performance snow tires) for my AWD TL, because I know all-season tires just won't cut it in the snow and on ice.

Because I keep telling people that no matter how good it is the factory suspension tuning and how advance it is the torque-vectoring AWD system, it all comes down to the 4 small patches of tire rubber that come in contact with the roads.

An AWD car with snow tires is virtually invincible in the snow as long as the vehicle ground clearance will allow.
The following users liked this post:
Ken1997TL (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013 | 08:41 PM
Ultra Negro

It does. see Civic Sedan Si with Pilot Sport tires. 0-60 in 6.1 seconds. 0-100mph in 15.7 seconds.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ed-test-review

Civic Sedan has power to weight ratio alot worse than Accord V6 coupe. Civic Sedan lacks DI engine. Imagine Accord Coupe V6 6MT with DI engine and LSD with Pilot Super Sport. It will be in class of M3.

How are you able to still post with ignorance and fanboi power of this magnitude?
Old 04-28-2013 | 09:02 PM

Imagine Accord Coupe V6 6MT with DI engine and LSD with Pilot Super Sport. It will be in class of M3.
Old 04-28-2013 | 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Exactly. Snow tires are pliable in colder temperatures, thus traction especially braking traction remains. Meanwhile a crappy all-season turns into a hockey puck.
Old 04-29-2013 | 06:38 AM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
How are you able to still post with ignorance and fanboi power of this magnitude?
Originally Posted by ttribe

...and the beat goes on.....
Old 04-29-2013 | 06:59 AM
Pinky all stinky

I can't believe you guys
Old 05-25-2013 | 06:59 AM
Safety Car

Cool Not Really Sure Where to Put This So ...

Ludacris is keepin' it real.

Appearing on Chelsea Lately last night, the rapper-actor not only dished to Chelsea Handler on the charity work he's been doing with Jane Fonda in his hometown of Atlanta lately, but also revealed why he's still driving the same car for the past 20 years despite earning enough money to buy a whole fleet.

"I just found out that you drive a 1993 Acura Legend?" asked the funny lady.

"This is the car that I've had way before all the commercial success. So I still drive it. It has like over 240,000 miles on the car. Yeah," replied Luda.

"That is the same kind of car my drug dealer in high school had," quipped Chelsea. "Yeah, he had a black Acura with tinted windows and we would drive to Plainfield, New Jersey and buy little baggies of weed."

"You know, I think the Acura Legend was the signature drug dealer car back around then. So it's a good thing," added the hip-hopster.

The car talk is appropriate, especially given Ludacris is costarring in Fast and Furious 6, which hits theaters today.
The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
H_CAR (05-25-2013), Legend2TL (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013 | 07:07 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by TSX69
"You know, I think the Acura Legend was the signature drug dealer car back around then. So it's a good thing," added the hip-hopster.

Why on earth isn't Acura using this guy as a spokesman?

"Yeah there was this loser around my high-school who had the same car, that's why it's cool".
Old 05-25-2013 | 04:08 PM

At the acura dealer... First time seeing this in person...
Old 05-26-2013 | 07:08 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Belzebutt

Why on earth isn't Acura using this guy as a spokesman?

"Yeah there was this loser around my high-school who had the same car, that's why it's cool".
Old 05-28-2013 | 05:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Although there was a pattern with the former here in NJ circa mid-90s, on the latter comment.
Old 05-30-2013 | 08:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Little more fuel to the fire. Reviewer picks new Impala over RLX.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo

You’ve hit that point when you deserve a little leather in your life. You’ve logged countless hours during the daily commute, staring at a hard plastic dashboard, and it’s time to move onward and upward.

You’ve not a person of pretensions though. No sports car for you, middle-age crisis or not, and perhaps you’d like to buy American. I have a proposition: A Chevy.

A 2014 Chevrolet Impala LTZ. The fully-equipped Impala has LED running lights at the corners of the fascia, a detail most often found on Audis and Mercedes-Benzes. Source: General Motors via Bloomberg

A 2014 Chevrolet Impala LTZ. The new Impala is available with a 3.6-liter V-6 with 305 horsepower and 264 pound-feet of torque. Source: General Motors via Bloomberg

A 2014 Chevrolet Impala. The base Impala is $27,500, but the 2LTZ package with leather and a V-6 engine starts at $36,500. Source: General Motors via Bloomberg

The interior of a 2014 Chevrolet Impala. Completely redesigned for 2014, nicely equipped models like the 2LTZ are fairly luxurious. Source: General Motors via Bloomberg
The Impala, specifically: a full-size sedan with a long and storied history, some of it stylish and grand, some not. The new incarnation, the 2014-model year, falls on the good side, mostly. While the base price is $27,500, the 2LTZ is the package you’ll want, with leather and great safety features and a V-6 engine that’ll get you places, starting at $36,500.
The Impala has been totally redesigned, and along the way it filched technology and features from upscale General Motors (GM) brethren Cadillac and Buick. While a luxurious Chevy may sound like an oxymoron, the Impala certainly tilts in that direction.
With front-wheel-drive and no option for all-wheel-drive, it’s no sports car. Yet the 3.6-liter V-6, married to a six-speed automatic transmission, has plenty of pull at 305 horsepower, and the overall drive is pleasant.

The sedan is roomy, seating five comfortably. The trunk is huge. And it has a real sense of road presence with masculine lines, a tall hood and authoritative grill.
The fully equipped Impala even has LED running lights at the corners of the fascia, proving that automobile fads are a lot like fashion fads. They begin at the top (in this case, Audi was the first major carmaker to use them as a design element) and eventually trickle downward.

Bat Wings

The Impala got its start in the late 1950s, and it was a stylish machine indeed. Various model years had long, extended trunks, with expressive design cues like wild rear fins sometimes described as “bat wings.” By the late 1970s the Impala was downgraded to an entry-level car, its stylish days at an end. (The 2013 model-year Impala? Not a pretty thing.)

Today, the all-new interior is perhaps the best return to form. My test model, pushing $40,000 with options (a ticket of $39,510) had a black and tan color scheme and even at first glance was a surprise. A swathe of tan-stitched leather sat atop the dashboard, spread over soft-touch plastic as if it were a bear-skin rug thrown over flooring. The leather panels were thick, begging to be squeezed.

There was laminated wood on the doors, hide-bound seats and a steering wheel of wood and leather. Chevy craftsman had to work around a number of complicated interior angles, and while the fit and finish wasn’t perfect -- I’m not sure it would pass an Audi inspector -- it was still pretty darn good.

Power Sunroof
The array of convenience features on the 2LTZ also struck me. It has one-touch power windows throughout, a rear-vision camera, lane-departure warning and rear cross-traffic alert (which proved quite helpful when backing out of a tricky parking spot). A power sunroof and second-row skylight are standard on the upmarket model, as are the heated seats. You get 10 airbags, too.

The GPS and infotainment system, called MyLink, is similar to Cadillac’s CUE, with an eight-inch touchscreen.

Unlike the Cadillac, though, it still has buttons and knobs, making the controls far easier to access. You want to turn up the air? There’s a knob with a digital readout inside. Simple and genius.

Still, many buyers might balk at a Chevy sedan at this price. (The Spark, Sonic and Cruze all start at well less than $20,000.) I couldn’t help but compare it to another flagship sedan I recently tested, the Acura RLX. That all-new model starts at just under $50,000 and is about $55,000 with a technology package.

Athletic Stance
The Acura’s 3.5-liter V-6 has 310 hp, only five more horses than the Impala’s. The RLX, wider and shorter than the Impala, has a more athletic stance. And it gets better gas mileage (20 city, 31 highway, versus 18 and 28).
In terms of overall comfort, luxury and drivability, in many ways I preferred the Impala. Both are front-wheel-drive. The steering and feel of the pedals were firm on the Impala and far too slack on the RLX. The Impala’s exterior was more interesting than the RLX’s generic lines.

And ultimately the Chevrolet is less expensive. There’s value at that $36,500 price, making it a pretty good way to introduce some leather to your daily commute.

The 2014 Chevrolet Impala 2LTZ at a Glance
Engine: 3.6-liter V-6 with 305 horsepower rand 264 pound-feet of torque.
Transmission: Six-speed automatic.
Speed: 0 to 60 mph in 6.8 seconds.
Gas mileage per gallon: 18 city, 28 highway.
Price as tested: $39,510.
Best feature: Array of convenience items.
Worst feature: Less-than-smooth six-speed automatic transmission.
Target buyer: Driver who wants a little leather in his life.
Old 05-30-2013 | 09:04 AM
Safety Car

Wink Kicking Tires

Although the brand-new 2014 Acura RLX is bigger than a midsize sedan, it's not big enough to fit 3 child-safety seats across its backseat. A raised center seating position and larger seat bolsters hindered our ability to install 3 car seats. However, 2 car seats fit easily in the RLX.

How many car seats fit in the 2nd row? 2

What We Like

2 sets of easy-to-access Latch anchors in the outboard seats
Lots of room for rear-facing infant-safety and convertible seats
Outboard seat belt buckles are on rigid bases, making them easy for younger kids to use
Bolstered seats cradled our high-back booster seat

What We Don't

Rear-facing convertible was difficult to install because its base blocked access to the Latch anchors
Center seat's buckle has a floppy base, making it difficult for kids in booster seats to grasp

Grading Scale

A: Plenty of room for the car seat and the child; doesn't impact driver or front-passenger legroom. Easy to find and connect to Latch and tether anchors. No fit issues involving head restraint or seat contouring. Easy access to the 3rd row.

B: Plenty of room. 1 fit or connection issue. Some problems accessing 3rd row.

C: Marginal room. 2 fit or connection issues. Difficult to access 3rd row.

D: Insufficient room. 2 or more fit or connection issues.

F: Does not fit or is unsafe.

About Cars.com's Car Seat Checks
Editors Jennifer Geiger and Jennifer Newman are certified child safety seat installation technicians.

For the Car Seat Check, we use a Graco SnugRide 30 infant-safety seat, a Britax Roundabout convertible seat and Graco TurboBooster seat. The front seats are adjusted for a 6-foot driver and a 5-foot-8 passenger. The 3 child seats are installed in the 2nd row. The booster seat sits behind the driver's seat, and the infant and convertible seats are installed behind the front passenger seat.

We also install the forward-facing convertible in the 2nd row's middle seat with the booster and infant seat in the outboard seats to see if 3 car seats will fit; a child sitting in the booster seat must be able to reach the seat belt buckle. If there's a 3rd row, we install the booster seat and a forward-facing convertible.

Parents should also remember that they can use the Latch system or a seat belt to install a car seat.
F23A4 (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013 | 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

As someone with a six year old (booster seat) and a two year old (car seat), who sometimes travels with an 18 month old grandson (car seat), that's really important. Good info.
Old 05-30-2013 | 02:02 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT

The idea of a $40,000 Impala blows my mind for some reason. It's probably bias because the only GM car I've been in lately was a Camaro SS Convertible.
Old 05-30-2013 | 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

And for the money, the Accord beats both of them.
F23A4 (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013 | 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by charliemike
The idea of a $40,000 Impala blows my mind for some reason. It's probably bias because the only GM car I've been in lately was a Camaro SS Convertible.
It's the same as the Pontiac G8. You're really buying a Vauxhall
Old 05-30-2013 | 05:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
And for the money, the Accord beats both of them.
...and that's a sad fact for Acura with the new RLX. Not to mention it already puts the 5G TL in a precarious position. (For some reason, I can picture Acura discontinuing both the TSX and TL. )
Old 05-30-2013 | 05:29 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by F23A4
...and that's a sad fact for Acura with the new RLX. Not to mention it already puts the 5G TL in a precarious position. (For some reason, I can picture Acura discontinuing both the TSX and TL. )
And then there's the XTS which is doing really well in terms of sales.....
Old 05-30-2013 | 11:39 PM
Safety Car

I dont think this person has tested RLX and does not even understand Premium brand. Impala is too cheap from inside. It is like comparing ILX with Civic LX.
On Edmunds test Impala felt way slower, poor handlling, noisy and 4 mpg worse than RLX. long term resale will be another negative.

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/imp...st-specs1.html

Old 05-31-2013 | 06:26 AM
Race Director

It's the same as the Pontiac G8. You're really buying a Vauxhall
I think you have it confused with the SS.
Old 05-31-2013 | 06:32 AM
Race Director

I dont think this person has tested RLX and does not even understand Premium brand.
....and there's the rub. Some folks don't give a sh$t about brand (Premium or otherwise) and shop strictly by price, features and feel. For those people and this reviewer (why would he lie about testing the RLX?) something like the Impala could be better than the RLX. Granted there are few people that would cross shop an RLX and an Impala, but on paper they are competitors.
Old 05-31-2013 | 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by biker
I think you have it confused with the SS.
Whoops. Yup.
Old 05-31-2013 | 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator

...long term resale will be another negative.
Yes I finally agree with you. The long term resale on the RLX will be another negative.
Old 05-31-2013 | 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

with biker ....and honestly with some models there is clearly some overlap between mainstream and premium segments. (I recall the Pontiac G8 being compared with the BMW E60.) While I tend to prefer premium brands, I do cross shop both segments before making my purchase.

Last edited by F23A4; 05-31-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-31-2013 | 12:14 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea it's like why the TL Sh-AWD is being compared to the S4 when there's a 15-25k difference.
Old 05-31-2013 | 03:51 PM
I'm the Firestarter

....and there's the rub. Some folks don't give a sh$t about brand (Premium or otherwise) and shop strictly by price, features and feel. For those people and this reviewer (why would he lie about testing the RLX?) something like the Impala could be better than the RLX. Granted there are few people that would cross shop an RLX and an Impala, but on paper they are competitors.
On the other hand I have to say that in recent years when I go to car shows and look at the low-end cars, the quality has massively improved compared to premium cars. I think the difference has shrunk somewhat.
Old 06-01-2013 | 03:27 AM
Safety Car

feature and feel? how can you feel substandard interior as superior? and what kind of features?. Does it have ELS stereo system?. how on paper they are comparable?
In real world Accord Touring is faster than BMW 535, Accord is more spacious, handles as well on all season setup, more reliable, TSP+ safety ratings, More quieter, more fuel efficient, it will not get bald tires in less than a year. There is not a single objective criteria where BMW is superior.

Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News