Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
Motor seems interesting if true.

Source:
thanks,

I just sent this info to a friend who is looking for a hybrid that can carry 4 golf bags and is reliable and handles well.

Sounds like we have a winner.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:49 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
And you know about wiki that's amazing

If your argument here is universally true, AND if the RL is truly "better" than the competition, then it should follow that the RL would outsell its competition by leaps and bounds. Is that the case?
Those are your words and your argument. Hence I also used the word "some" in my statement.

The RL's failure has been discussed and debated in this thread ad nauseum.

No one forced you to defend VTech's statements. You took that one on yourself.
Not defending his post, just comparing with your statement

"Yes. Now I'd like some specific examples of this; throwing this statement against the wall doesn't make it true. I've been in plenty of Acuras (including RL's), and I've spent some time in an Audi 6 (that I almost bought) as well as more than a little time in a BMW 5 series. Acura fit and finish is not even in the same league as those two."

It was self-evident that I was making a smart-ass remark about your inclusion of the turbo chargers in your statement.
The RDX has a turbo (and yes it's not a RL), first time in a long time for a production Honda, haven't heard of any problems with them yet.

I'll concede the SH-AWD. It's a technological marvel. What else?
Currently nothing until the next RL comes out.

But that also means i don't think there's very little the competition has that's greater other than all so important power-train.

Radar cruise, active weather forecasting, power sunshades, iPhone integration (?), ... all of this is pretty much on par with the competition but the competition has more gears and more power and multiple engines.

The MMI? It's an infotainment system in Audis; how is that out of bounds?
That's fair, I just thought the bounds of the RL vs. the 5 were being expanded to highly subjective areas such as vehicle info tech systems which to me are very complex and dynamic systems that are hard to compare let alone contrast.

I did bring up the TL and then backed off when you called me on it. I thought that was fair.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:17 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
And you know about wiki that's amazing
Not once have I stooped to insults on your intelligence. Not once. Let it go.

Those are your words and your argument. Hence I also used the word "some" in my statement.
Are you telling me now that you didn't *know* the context?

The RL's failure has been discussed and debated in this thread ad nauseum.
And it's even more damning.

Not defending his post, just comparing with your statement

"Yes. Now I'd like some specific examples of this; throwing this statement against the wall doesn't make it true. I've been in plenty of Acuras (including RL's), and I've spent some time in an Audi 6 (that I almost bought) as well as more than a little time in a BMW 5 series. Acura fit and finish is not even in the same league as those two."
I asked HIM and it was based on a series of posts back and forth. If you don't take the time to inform yourself of the context, I'd suggest not jumping in with both feet.

The RDX has a turbo (and yes it's not a RL), first time in a long time for a production Honda, haven't heard of any problems with them yet.
So, now the RDX is in play, but you want me to stay focused on the RL. There go those goalposts again.

Currently nothing until the next RL comes out.

But that also means i don't think there's very little the competition has that's greater other than all so important power-train.

Radar cruise, active weather forecasting, power sunshades, iPhone integration (?), ... all of this is pretty much on par with the competition but the competition has more gears and more power and multiple engines.
But fit and finish isn't.

That's fair, I just thought the bounds of the RL vs. the 5 were being expanded to highly subjective areas such as vehicle info tech systems which to me are very complex and dynamic systems that are hard to compare let alone contrast.
How is that any less *objective* than the notion of fit and finish?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Please stop taking this thread off topic.
The following 2 users liked this post by jwong77:
VTEC Racer (01-25-2012), vybzkartel (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 08:57 PM
AZ Community Team

Agree, the previous postings were pointless and childish.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jwong77
Please stop taking this thread off topic.
Agreed!

I can't figure out if he is here just to argue or if he is actually being serious. TTRIBE, if you want to continue being off topic and discuss the Lexus LS in an Acura RL thread, then just PM me and you can continue your banter there.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
Agreed!

I can't figure out if he is here just to argue or if he is actually being serious. TTRIBE, if you want to continue being off topic and discuss the Lexus LS in an Acura RL thread, then just PM me and you can continue your banter there.
That's rich that you are blaming this on me.
The following users liked this post:
JS + XES (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 09:56 AM
AZ Community Team

I'll try an attempt to bring the subject matter back to the thread.

I wonder how Honda will be able to fit a larger interior to a car with roughly the same size as the curren 2G RL? With today's design tools I can see it, but with the newer federal safety/crash requirements I wonder how they will do it and meet the crashing testing goals? Honda alluded to the concept as being a 7 series interior in a 5 series body.

One area I know that gets looked at is the rear suspension upper arm mounting, spring and shock tower. That was done on the new Civic and it improves the rear seating room

Also if they go back to the 2G Legend 1G RL drivetrain with the longitudinal mounting and forward differential, they can increase the front legroom and foot wells.
VTEC Racer (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
I hope you guys are this interested when the fucking thing comes out. We know absolutely nothing about the car and this debate is balls out.
Allen- (01-31-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 12:56 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts

I wonder how Honda will be able to fit a larger interior to a car with roughly the same size as the curren 2G RL? With today's design tools I can see it, but with the newer federal safety/crash requirements I wonder how they will do it and meet the crashing testing goals? Honda alluded to the concept as being a 7 series interior in a 5 series body.

One area I know that gets looked at is the rear suspension upper arm mounting, spring and shock tower. That was done on the new Civic and it improves the rear seating room

Also if they go back to the 2G Legend 1G RL drivetrain with the longitudinal mounting and forward differential, they can increase the front legroom and foot wells.
Exterior wise, current RL, TL, and 5-series are very close to each other. The 7 series is 4 inches longer, 2 inches wider, and about 1 inch taller than the current RL.

Interior wise (legroom, headroom, shoulder room, etc), both RL, TL, and 5 series are again very similar. The 7 series has a noticeably bigger interior.

My understanding is that, for both the TL and RL, they are not exactly the best in terms of using every single inch of space. I think the AWD system is also taking up some space. I am sure there's a lot of room for improvement in the current RL, so I can see how Acura can make the interior roomier without making the car larger.
VTEC Racer (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Honda Fanboy

Great point!
Old 01-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Honda Fanboy

Originally Posted by KillerG
I hope you guys are this interested when the fucking thing comes out. We know absolutely nothing about the car and this debate is balls out.
It has already been confirmed to be released this year in the Fall.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Op is too busy to care

... thanks captan obvious, we know itll debut in fall, but we dont know really have anything confirmed about the actual car

all we know is e-shawd/v6/whatever came in the initial releases
Old 01-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
It has already been confirmed to be released this year in the Fall.
Was it confirmed it'll be out this year? I think we'll see the concept/prototype this year, but I think the release date will be in CY2013.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Honda Fanboy

Originally Posted by KillerG
... thanks captan obvious, we know itll debut in fall, but we dont know really have anything confirmed about the actual car

all we know is e-shawd/v6/whatever came in the initial releases
My bad. I misread your post.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Honda Fanboy

Originally Posted by Colin
Was it confirmed it'll be out this year? I think we'll see the concept/prototype this year, but I think the release date will be in CY2013.
Well according to Jeff, when they had the press-only event in Vegas, it was disclosed that the RL will debut at the New York Auto Show in April of 2012, and will hit showrooms in late 2012 as a 2013 MY.

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1020643
Old 01-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Well according to Jeff, when they had the press-only event in Vegas, it was disclosed that the RL will debut at the New York Auto Show in April of 2012, and will hit showrooms in late 2012 as a 2013 MY.

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1020643
I guess that makes sense. They had shown something else that suggested that the ZDX MMC could come this year. However, it would make sense that the RL comes sooner as it's more overdue. Then they could do a short 2013 MY ZDX and release the MMC 2014 sometime the following year. The TL and new MDX would round out the releases for CY2013. That would make 3 in 2012 and 3 in 2013.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:24 AM
AZ Community Team

Actually I was wrong the current RL does not use a coilover spring/shock in the rear suspension but does have a very wide upper A arm with two pickup points that takes up space in the wheel well that could be used for more interior room (trunk and rear seat area).

The 9G Civic is alot simpler with a much lower location of the upper A arm and does not have the extra lateral link of the RL (toward the top of the picture). None the less this may be a idea/concept Honda may use to get more rear interior volume on the next gen RL.

Originally Posted by iforyou
Exterior wise, current RL, TL, and 5-series are very close to each other. The 7 series is 4 inches longer, 2 inches wider, and about 1 inch taller than the current RL.

Interior wise (legroom, headroom, shoulder room, etc), both RL, TL, and 5 series are again very similar. The 7 series has a noticeably bigger interior.

My understanding is that, for both the TL and RL, they are not exactly the best in terms of using every single inch of space. I think the AWD system is also taking up some space. I am sure there's a lot of room for improvement in the current RL, so I can see how Acura can make the interior roomier without making the car larger.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:16 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Then they could do a short 2013 MY ZDX and release the MMC 2014 sometime the following year.
Are they really going to bother with the ZDX? Will we see a next gen?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Why would a someone who no longer owns an Acura and drives a BMW come to this forum and talk about how great other cars are is beyond me? We get it dude. You are all high and mighty drive an M5. Good for you. Now stop crapping on our cheap, and inferior "Hondas". It is clear that our cars are not up to your standards, and yes we all look up to getting a M5 one day. One can always dream right?
The following 3 users liked this post by iamitman:
KillerG (01-27-2012), VTEC Racer (01-27-2012), vybzkartel (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Op is too busy to care

Likely we wont be seeing a 2G ZDX, but it will probably make more sense for Acura to keep selling em even though they are poor movers, and since theyll probably keep it on cell for a while an MMC should be here in a year or two to keep it somewhat fresh

@2G RL: I was under the impression that acura was trying to say that they would have a 7 series quality interior in a 5 series sized package, or did they actually literally say that we would get a 7 series sized interior with 5 series exterior proportions?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:44 AM
AZ Community Team

^ "The new flagship sedan is said to have the cabin space of a BMW 7 Series with the agility of a 5 Series."

http://www.insideline.com/acura/rl/2...auto-show.html

So maybe not the size of a 5, perhaps their hope of the next gen SH-AWD system to make up for the size/mass?
KillerG (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 09:14 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,823 Likes on 3,735 Posts
Originally Posted by iamitman
Why would a someone who no longer owns an Acura and drives a BMW come to this forum and talk about how great other cars are is beyond me? We get it dude. You are all high and mighty drive an M5. Good for you. Now stop crapping on our cheap, and inferior "Hondas". It is clear that our cars are not up to your standards, and yes we all look up to getting a M5 one day. One can always dream right?
VTEC Racer (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 09:34 AM

That was not my intention at all. No reason for you to march into this thread and take a cheap shot at me.

Originally Posted by pttl
Not cool.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:59 AM
My first Avatar....

That was not my intention at all. No reason for you to march into this thread and take a cheap shot at me.

Not cool.
Sure it is. I love it when a "fan" comes in here and gets all butt hurt over what someone says about "their" car or car company. It cracks me the eff up!
Old 01-27-2012, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by pttl
Sure it is. I love it when a "fan" comes in here and gets all butt hurt over what someone says about "their" car or car company. It cracks me the eff up!
Then you don't know a thing about me, nor about what I was trying to say if you think I was just a butt-hurt fan boy.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:10 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Damn.

Sorry for reviving this thread.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Colin they really talked about end 2012 for the release of the new RL... the MDX will follow spring 2013.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Honda Fanboy

Dude, your best bet is to just ignore him. He bought himself a used BMW and now he is parking himself on an Acura forum so he can stroke his ego and argue with anyone about anything. I'm sure you've read the last two pages of this thread already...
Old 01-27-2012, 11:05 AM

Dude, your best bet is to just ignore him. He bought himself a used BMW and now he is parking himself on an Acura forum so he can stroke his ego and argue with anyone about anything. I'm sure you've read the last two pages of this thread already...
[sigh] This just isn't true.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Good god. Will you guys knock off the bickering already?
The following 2 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
jwong77 (01-27-2012), vybzkartel (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Good god. Will you guys knock off the bickering already?
Yep. Somehow I became a lightning rod. I'll go ahead and bow out of the thread to put an end to it.
VTEC Racer (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 12:12 PM
My first Avatar....

Then you don't know a thing about me, nor about what I was trying to say if you think I was just a butt-hurt fan boy.
I wasn't talking about you. But it doesn't really matter. Fanboys are funny.
Costco (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
Are they really going to bother with the ZDX? Will we see a next gen?
Without knowing for sure, I'd guesstimate that a MMC is budgeted into the project from it's outset. As for a 2G, I think that its somewhat a nascent niche that never developed so I'd hope they'll forgo another one.

Originally Posted by krio
Colin they really talked about end 2012 for the release of the new RL... the MDX will follow spring 2013.
Yes, saw the link provided. There is so much info swirling around that I missed/forget about that one. They released a list (to dealers) of new/revised product and it was ordered differently. I probably made an assumption and it got lodged in my memory.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:41 AM
AZ Community Team

What's kinda puzzling to me is why Acura didn't adopt the 5 link rear suspension from the 2G/3G TL for the 2G RL.

Curious since the 2G TL had gone this way in 1999?

None the less curious as to what technical approach the 3G RL will use for all it's systems.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
What's kinda puzzling to me is why Acura didn't adopt the 5 link rear suspension from the 2G/3G TL for the 2G RL.

Curious since the 2G TL had gone this way in 1999?

None the less curious as to what technical approach the 3G RL will use for all it's systems.
FWD setup vs. AWD setup?
Old 01-28-2012, 01:56 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by vybzkartel
FWD setup vs. AWD setup?
IIRC the 4G TL SH-AWD uses the same setup so who knows
Old 01-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Back on topic.....

Reading the Autoguide article yielded this tidbit: the drivetrain system being tested can get as much as 30% additional power compared to a standard V6.

Current RL: 300 hp. Add 30%.....390 hp. Hmmm...I'm listening, Honda.....
Old 01-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Back on topic.....

Reading the Autoguide article yielded this tidbit: the drivetrain system being tested can get as much as 30% additional power compared to a standard V6.

Current RL: 300 hp. Add 30%.....390 hp. Hmmm...I'm listening, Honda.....
Well, 20kW x 2 plus 30kW in the DSG would make it ~94 HP from the electric portion of the drivetrain. Add that to the gas portion and I think that figure is spot on. Then again, if you looked back at the Tokyo Motor Show presser, you'd see that their 'tidbit' was there for the taking. I even wrote about it back in December (satoauto.com)
Old 01-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^^
Sorry I missed that, Colin.

I know power output is not everything, but a number like that in reality would be wonderful to see. With the electric motors, the low end torque problem could be ameliorated, I'm sure. And a DSG transmission. Wow.

It'll be a long, sleepless wait until April for this RL fan if these goodies are true.

Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News