Acura: RDX News

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
More notably, those numbers are below its main competitors such as the X3 (19/26) and Rav 4 (21/28).
Old 10-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Red face Sales

Those #s are about 1/2 of what they expected/hoped to sell but it still sells about the same as the X3, so I do not think that it is a total dud like the RL.

When Acura releases a new product, it is usually met w/ good reviews & recommendations but I have notice that the RDX has been in the middle of the road: not regarded highly but not heavily criticized either.

I think that the pricing would have been fair if it had all the basic luxury items like power passenger seats & not cheap looking plastics. As for MPG, I do not understand why they do not put their cylinder deactivation technology in, even if it just adds 1 or 2 miles per gallon.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:39 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
Those #s are about 1/2 of what they expected/hoped to sell but it still sells about the same as the X3, so I do not think that it is a total dud like the RL.

When Acura releases a new product, it is usually met w/ good reviews & recommendations but I have notice that the RDX has been in the middle of the road: not regarded highly but not heavily criticized either.

I think that the pricing would have been fair if it had all the basic luxury items like power passenger seats & not cheap looking plastics. As for MPG, I do not understand why they do not put their cylinder deactivation technology in, even if it just adds 1 or 2 miles per gallon.

You would like to see this thing try to run on 2 or 3 cylinders?!?!?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the RDX in the same class as the CX-9? If so, how could the RDX win a comparo, but loose SUV of the year award?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:42 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
The RDX is simply too expensive.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:44 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by joerockt
Is the RDX in the same class as the CX-9? If so, how could the RDX win a comparo, but loose SUV of the year award?

CX-9 is a seven seater. CX-7 competes with RDX.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Talking Vcm

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
You would like to see this thing try to run on 2 or 3 cylinders?!?!?
Sure why not? Unless I understand it incorrectly (which is highly possible) it only deactivates the cylinders when they are not needed like going down hill or coasting. It seems to work fine in the Pilot & Odyssey & they already have the technology so ...

The MPG seems to be the biggest complaint I have noticed so this could be a band aid of sorts until the diesel arrives (they say their hybrid system does not work on larger vehicles).

I forgot to mention my biggest dislike of the RDX: that hissing sound when you accelerate. I do not know if they can get rid of that or somehow reduct it but it is very annoying to my ears ....

Last edited by TSX69; 10-30-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts

^^^ A concept Toyota pretty much embraced during the timeline between the discontinuance of the Supra and the introduction of the 2GR motors.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:33 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts

I forgot to mention my biggest dislike of the RDX: that hissing sound when you accelerate. I do not know if they can get rid of that or somehow reduct it but it is very annoying to my ears ....
Active noise cancellation. Already in use in the new '08 Accord's.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
I forgot to mention my biggest dislike of the RDX: that hissing sound when you accelerate. I do not know if they can get rid of that or somehow reduct it but it is very annoying to my ears ....[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I had it as a loaner vehicle when I took the RL in for an oil change. The interior was definitely subpar and the turbolag was irritating as hell
Old 11-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree. The RDX is not a sales success. Acura press releases are just trying to put a positive spin on it. They can't be happy with those numbers.

I never drove one but I spent some time with one in the showroom. I didn't walk way impressed by it. Also, that 2.3L turbo with it's thirst for gas and wierd power curve is a turnoff to me.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Agree. The RDX is not a sales success. Acura press releases are just trying to put a positive spin on it. They can't be happy with those numbers.

I never drove one but I spent some time with one in the showroom. I didn't walk way impressed by it. Also, that 2.3L turbo with it's thirst for gas and wierd power curve is a turnoff to me.
You should be impressed by the RDX...look at all the cars it has smoked!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1538
Old 11-02-2007, 09:35 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Originally Posted by titan
hmph... Can't wait to see how it'll stack up against the EX35...
Old 11-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mrdeeno

Old 11-02-2007, 10:01 AM

at "5. Too many riced out integras, civics,etc... "

Old 11-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by mrdeeno

I know you're being sarcastic, but I checked out that thread anway

Like I said, I've never driven one, but, it's still hard to gauge anything from those comments. Based on the written specs, we can probably believe some of those stories where the RDX "beat" some of those other cars mentioned. Of course, what's the definition of beating them? With it's stated torque, it certainly could get a good jump on some heavier cars to the next traffic light. It's also probably fun to drive. But the TL-S (for example) would catch it soon enough. Then of course, it's still an SUV. Wouldn't want to race a G35 down a mountain road in one of them things (SHAWD or not). That would be ugly
Old 11-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator

I have had my RDX for about 4 months now and the turbo charged/VTEC 4 banger is a dream. Forget about 0-60 and Quarter miles, (seriously its a 4 thousand pound vehicle) that stated these are the cars i have beaten on the highway
1)Acura TL type S (yes the driver was in disbelief as well)
2)Infiniti G35 Coupe
and others i forget at the moment but those were the two big boys i am most pround of, I guess they just cant handle the 260 lbs of torque!
~everyone just list your victories and the look on the faces of the people you pass... ahahaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh...
Actually the word was "smoked" which I am inclined to believe means walking on the competition. (i.e.: Of all the cars I beat at the track, I smoked half of them.)

But what is comical to me is the "just cant handle the 260 lbs of torque" comment which totally ignores the fact that the G35C has 260-270 lb-ft and the TL-S has 256 lb-ft -- 4lb-ft less BUT, 450lbs lighter. (Racewise, I would rather lose 450lbs than gain 4 lb-ft)

I wish some of the people who are "into cars" (but know little about them) would find a new hobby....like knitting.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:17 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I wonder if Acura is smart?........and by that I mean is a V6 engine transplant on the drawing board for the next gen RDX? I doubt the mid-cycle revision in a year or two will see a V6...but the next gen for sure....right?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by F23A4
Actually the word was "smoked" which I am inclined to believe means walking on the competition. (i.e.: Of all the cars I beat at the track, I smoked half of them.)

But what is comical to me is the "just cant handle the 260 lbs of torque" comment which totally ignores the fact that the G35C has 260-270 lb-ft and the TL-S has 256 lb-ft -- 4lb-ft less BUT, 450lbs lighter. (Racewise, I would rather lose 450lbs than gain 4 lb-ft)

I wish some of the people who are "into cars" (but know little about them) would find a new hobby....like knitting.
Well, we sure know the RDX isn't going to "smoke" anything at the track from those mentioned cars. That's for sure. Sounds like some guys telling a few tall tales. We'll let them enjoy themselves

Bottom line; I'm just not that impressed with the total package and it's value. That was really my only observation. Obviously others see it too because they should be selling way more of these things.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:52 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
I wonder if Acura is smart?........

You sound serious.

If they were smart, it would have had a V6 out of the box.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:06 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
You sound serious.

If they were smart, it would have had a V6 out of the box.
You're right. The little faith I have left in Acura/Honda is getting smaller every day.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:38 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Problem is the world's largest engine manf. has little to choose when it comes to engines. But still, the RDX's styling is IMO its biggest hurdle. It just looks like total IMO. Droopy and not at all aggressive.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:40 PM

i liked the rear of the RDX, but the front needs improvement.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Bring the EX35 already!
Old 11-02-2007, 05:15 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
Problem is the world's largest engine manf. has little to choose when it comes to engines. But still, the RDX's styling is IMO its biggest hurdle. It just looks like total IMO. Droopy and not at all aggressive.
The styling is another big hurdle for the RSX...it's

I know you like the MDX, but I think Acura did a bad job on its styling as well.
Other than the TL (which is getting long in tooth), Acura's designs are not much to look at...and at time straight horrible. ...the TSX is nice...but it's not really an Acura design...just a carry-over Euro Accord with minor revisions. (it's looking outdated too).
Old 11-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

I thought I would like the MDX when I saw pictures of it. Now that I see it in person, I"m only so-so about it. Everything about it looks good, except for that hideous grille...it's like they tried to be more "radical", and fell right on their faces with that grille.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by nokiaman
Bring the EX35 already!
I don't know what it is, but those guys over on the RDX section have delusions of grandeur.

Add the Hondata reflash for $600 bucks and you are viewing the EX in the rear view mirror.
not sure how true it is, but i find it HARD to believe that a $600 reflash would add that much performance to ANY car.

as decent as the RDX is, people should accept it for what it is (rather than a high performance sports car).
Old 11-08-2007, 04:40 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, this coming from a magazine that voted Toyota Camry as Car of the Year. And LR2 over the X3? Give me a break. But I guess any publicity is good for the RDX.

It's not a bad vehicle, but the weakest points are - exterior just isn't inspiring, and the interior is just cheap. (the review said it too "cheap and fun"). Get some real wood, 10-way or more power seat.

From the information that I've gathered, RDX doesn't lack sportiness. If anything, it was too sporty and firm (and probably has been modified). Engine is strong despite just 4 cylinder (I now change my mind and think without V6 it's just fine), and chassis is terrific.

RDX has been criticized quite a bit, but unlike the RL, its performance is really great. It's utility is medium, and the biggest improvement needs to come from styling and luxury, the same key weaknesses of RL.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by TMQ
Well, this coming from a magazine that voted Toyota Camry as Car of the Year. And LR2 over the X3? Give me a break. But I guess any publicity is good for the RDX.

It's not a bad vehicle, but the weakest points are - exterior just isn't inspiring, and the interior is just cheap. (the review said it too "cheap and fun"). Get some real wood, 10-way or more power seat.

From the information that I've gathered, RDX doesn't lack sportiness. If anything, it was too sporty and firm (and probably has been modified). Engine is strong despite just 4 cylinder (I now change my mind and think without V6 it's just fine), and chassis is terrific.

RDX has been criticized quite a bit, but unlike the RL, its performance is really great. It's utility is medium, and the biggest improvement needs to come from styling and luxury, the same key weaknesses of RL.
Agree the RDX is the least inspiring looking of all the Acura's. And that's saying a lot considering none are really bold looking except the MDX.

The RL could definitely use some new bolder styling but luxury doesn't seem to be one of it's weaknesses. Not sure what you mean there. Sportiness is certainly lacking, but not luxury.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:43 PM
TMQ
Pro

Let me point out why RL is not luxury, when compared to the likes of BMW and Lexus.

- Seats, one of the most important things about driving. Where you interact with the vehicle the most. Level of heating: only 2. Rear seat heating: not available. Power seat: driver only 8 way, passenger only 4 way. Listen, the 5 series has an optional 20-way seat.

- Steering, the main way for you to communicate with the car: heated wheel? Not available.

- Wood: Is it real for all models? How many different wood style can you choose from?

- Leather: how many colors can you choose from?

These are luxury items. Luxury is about choice, about things that you don't necessarily need, but are available if you want them. Stuff like DVD-A are technology related items. Acura is doing fine with those.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Go Big Blue!

That's true. If Luxury is about choice, then the RL is in the basement. However, I've test drove the 5 series and E class. Borrowed my brothers 2005 MB-S many times, also drove a GS and LS on some lengthy test drives. None of them felt exceptionally "pampering" inside versus the RL. That's what I was thinking about when I considered the definition of luxury. One exception; my sister in laws 750Li. Can't say I think it's worth 90k, but, it's one nice car, inside and out. In my eyes it blows away any of those cars just mentioned in the lux category
Old 11-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMQ
Let me point out why RL is not luxury, when compared to the likes of BMW and Lexus.

- Seats, one of the most important things about driving. Where you interact with the vehicle the most. Level of heating: only 2. Rear seat heating: not available. Power seat: driver only 8 way, passenger only 4 way. Listen, the 5 series has an optional 20-way seat.

- Steering, the main way for you to communicate with the car: heated wheel? Not available.

- Wood: Is it real for all models? How many different wood style can you choose from?

- Leather: how many colors can you choose from?

These are luxury items. Luxury is about choice, about things that you don't necessarily need, but are available if you want them. Stuff like DVD-A are technology related items. Acura is doing fine with those.
I do agree with you to some extent. I ordered a 535xi for one of my clients over the summer (I work for a fleet leasing company, so I buy through the manufacturers). Anyway, the BMW had SO many options to choose from. In fact, that was precisely the reason I couldn't buy it off a dealership's lot - I just couldn't find with all the options (and only those options) requested.

On the other hand, in one sense this is what I like about Acura / Honda. There aren't a bunch of 'extras' to add on to the vehicle. It's very easy to compare one model to the next. When I was shopping for the TL, it was Base, Nav or Type-S. Sure, there are minimal dealer installed options, but those won't jack the price way up. This was especially convenient at the dealership, I didn't have to worry about finding the color I wanted, only to find out that it has a 'premium plus package' and the 'sport wheels' and the 'wood trim' - all things that don't interest me.

This was one of the reason I went with the TL. By the time I added all the options on the Lexus ES350 I was $4k more than the TL, only to have a comprable vehicle. Same with the BMW 3-series. Plus, I just liked the TL the best, always have (although I must admit, you can't go wrong on the BMW's styling).
Old 11-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
None of them felt exceptionally "pampering" inside versus the RL.
that was my first impression from the RL, it just felt really plush. Too bad Acura chose to put fake metal in the interior to drop it down a few notches.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

For all of the RL's shortcomings vs the E60, E-class, M and GS, I did not find its interior to be one that was glaring. Though it may have contours similar to the 03-05 Accord, I even find its exterior styling pretty attractive.

Back on topic, I personally like the RDX and hope that the introduction of the EX35 (and maybe an N54 powered E83) will spur Honda to up the output on the RDX.....hopefully without further degrading fuel economy. (Then again 335hp M45s, 360hp 550Is and 342hp Lexus GS460s -- all RWD V8s -- have not prompted anything more than a 290hp V6 powered FWD RL.... back to that again. )
Old 11-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX

Shoe me EX35
Old 11-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I must say that I was not impressed with the RDX (esp. with its styling) until I had the opportunity to drive it for a couple of days. It's a blast to drive that thing!!!

So, for those of you who judged against the RDX before you have even driven one, please consider driving one and then you may just change your mind... :-)
Old 11-12-2007, 10:23 PM
TMQ
Pro

That's true. If Luxury is about choice, then the RL is in the basement. However, I've test drove the 5 series and E class. Borrowed my brothers 2005 MB-S many times, also drove a GS and LS on some lengthy test drives. None of them felt exceptionally "pampering" inside versus the RL. That's what I was thinking about when I considered the definition of luxury. One exception; my sister in laws 750Li. Can't say I think it's worth 90k, but, it's one nice car, inside and out. In my eyes it blows away any of those cars just mentioned in the lux category
I'm not saying that the RL has a sub-par interior. It has a very nice interior, and to some look better than the 5 series or E class. However, cars like the 5 series allow people to really individualize. It's not cookie cutter results. There are people who want a certain color wood, leather, or certain features, and for RL to be a luxury maker's flagship sedan without such possibilities, it's a major disadvantage.

And consider the fact that in terms brand recognition, Acura already lacks far behind MB, BMW and Lexus. One would think that Acura needs to go the extra miles to make the flagship sedan more competitive. Instead, the RL comes way short in major areas that are important to the buyers in that segment. Exterior is one of them.

Furthermore, many people who buy BMW order their cars from dealers. The cars are built exactly to their spec and arrive in 7-10 weeks. It's very easy to compare shop with different dealers. Unless you want a car right away you may still find one on the dealer lot; people who want to buy a 50K sedan usually do have time for that.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Honda/Acura probably thinks "cookie-cutter" is a compliment. I can see the reaction of one of the execs now..."Ooh, magazine say our car rike cookie-cutter! I rike cookie!".

that would explain the design of most of their models.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:40 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by TMQ
I'm not saying that the RL has a sub-par interior. It has a very nice interior, and to some look better than the 5 series or E class. However, cars like the 5 series allow people to really individualize. It's not cookie cutter results. There are people who want a certain color wood, leather, or certain features, and for RL to be a luxury maker's flagship sedan without such possibilities, it's a major disadvantage.

And consider the fact that in terms brand recognition, Acura already lacks far behind MB, BMW and Lexus. One would think that Acura needs to go the extra miles to make the flagship sedan more competitive. Instead, the RL comes way short in major areas that are important to the buyers in that segment. Exterior is one of them.

Furthermore, many people who buy BMW order their cars from dealers. The cars are built exactly to their spec and arrive in 7-10 weeks. It's very easy to compare shop with different dealers. Unless you want a car right away you may still find one on the dealer lot; people who want to buy a 50K sedan usually do have time for that.
Can't disagree with anything you said. It's one of the flaws in the Acura line.

They want to sell a $40-$50k Acura like they sell a $15k Civic. Doesn't work. Maybe they will figure that out some day.

Quick Reply: Acura: RDX News