Acura: RDX News

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012 | 05:23 PM
I'm Craig

Originally Posted by Litt
To me it looks like a miniaturized MDX. I think it will sell well when people come in to look for an MDX and see this is big enough and a lot cheaper. It also has a much nicer interior.
Push button start is such a nice feature.
This is all win, except for the loss of SH-AWD.
I don't doubt that it'll sell well. Its not missing much and the styling isn't too over the top. Conservative sure sells. Look at Toyota/Lexus.
Old 02-09-2012 | 06:27 PM
I feel the need...

Tough crowd.

I was there on media day when they unveiled the NSX. Also glanced at both the ILX and the RDX and thought they looked okay for their respective classes and price points. I just find it hilarious that their SoCal designers insist on continuing the near universally panned power plenum. Its like Honda is just a glutton for punishment.

The whole "corporate face" thing is so played out and overdone. Just design nice looking cars. If you really want unlearned consumers on the road to recognize your brand, just slap a dinner plate sized logo on the front like Benz does. I'd much prefer that than the dynamic power plenum.

Oh, and would you please, please drop the old school halogen DRL's. You don't have to copy Audi, but give us something more ADVANCE'd than a 1995 Geo Metro.

Since "they" are listening to the internets.
The following users liked this post:
Hapa DC5 (02-10-2012)
Old 02-09-2012 | 06:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black Tire
OMG that RDX looks very boring. Almost Lexus boring.
I disagree. I find Lexus' new design language much more interesting than Acura's.
Old 02-09-2012 | 07:40 PM
Drifting

I've never owned an SUV or crossover, but the RDX is on my short list now to replace my 3G TL in case it croaks before I get to see the next IS, TL, etc. That FWD's mileage is pretty nice. I always thought the existing RDX was pathetic in that regard. The looks aren't as cartoonish as the last gen, but I like the subdued look more than, what I thought, was a schizo design language in the last one. I'm not as keen on the interior of the new RDX, but it's still not bad.
Old 02-10-2012 | 01:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Tough crowd.
I just find it hilarious that their SoCal designers insist on continuing the near universally panned power plenum.

The whole "corporate face" thing is so played out and overdone.
I actually like the toned down power plenum. People need to get over it or move on. It isn't going anywhere, anything soon. Unless you make a living off H/A I really don't understand why people get their panties in a bunch over a car brand. If you don't like what brand 'A' is selling, go buy something from brand 'B'. Is it really that hard?
The following 2 users liked this post by Mansa24:
VTEC Racer (02-10-2012), vybzkartel (02-10-2012)
Old 02-10-2012 | 02:21 AM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by Mansa24
I actually like the toned down power plenum. People need to get over it or move on. It isn't going anywhere, anything soon. Unless you make a living off H/A I really don't understand why people get their panties in a bunch over a car brand. If you don't like what brand 'A' is selling, go buy something from brand 'B'. Is it really that hard?
no shit. that's what we all have been doing.
The following users liked this post:
jwong77 (02-13-2012)
Old 02-10-2012 | 04:39 AM
Senior Moderator

To me it looks like a miniaturized MDX. I think it will sell well when people come in to look for an MDX and see this is big enough and a lot cheaper. It also has a much nicer interior.
Inside and out, clearly Acura used the current MDX as a template for the 2G RDX....and that's not a bad thing at all.
Old 02-10-2012 | 10:17 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
no shit. that's what we all have been doing.
hence why acura's sales have been going down..I think they sold like 8 zdx's in the month of september and like 40-something rls. That's across the whole country.
Old 02-10-2012 | 10:23 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mansa24
We get upset because we are all die-hard fans of the way the brand used to be and when they decide to bastardize it, it's only natural to be upset / be expressive of our opinion. It's like when your favorite sports team does something stupid like make their best player a free agent or something.

Also, it's not as easy as going from brand a to brand b...brand B may not have the reliability, price, financing options that brand A has. There's more to buying a car than picking out which one looks prettier, etc.

To put this into perspective, I was going to buy an Evo, but Mitsu was being stingy with credit, I walked into the bmw dealer the next day and leased a x5 (which, in lease payments alone cost as much as the evo) without a co-signer
Old 02-10-2012 | 12:35 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I just find it hilarious that their SoCal designers insist on continuing the near universally panned power plenum. Its like Honda is just a glutton for punishment.

The whole "corporate face" thing is so played out and overdone. Just design nice looking cars. If you really want unlearned consumers on the road to recognize your brand, just slap a dinner plate sized logo on the front like Benz does. I'd much prefer that than the dynamic power plenum.
Can I get an AMEN!!!!!!

Preach it brother!!! Preach it!!!

I've been saying this for years....corporate face is only for a few makes who can actually pull it off and they have a heritage to go with said design.

Acura? Nope. Not to mention the Pentagon shaped grille since the early 2000's is a HORRIBLE design to create your vehicle around.

Acura continues to be handcuffed by the poorly designed corporate grille/face.
Old 02-11-2012 | 08:12 AM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
We get upset because we are all die-hard fans of the way the brand used to be and when they decide to bastardize it, it's only natural to be upset / be expressive of our opinion.
Fondly recall my two preludes, they were cheap and bulletproof even as heavily used cars when acquired. Kept my first gen TSX for almost six years which is the longest I ever owned the same car and speaks to how much it was appreciated as a commuter.

It's like when your favorite sports team does something stupid like make their best player a free agent or something.
Or when team management keeps the same coaching philosophy which causes the team to lose year after year and the fan base keeps eroding, but insists that their strategy will work because??? But hey, if you look up in the rafters they still have a few championship banners from twenty years ago. Dumb.

Mansa's right though, shouldn't get my panties in a bunch, instead send Honda a thank you note for the 'ugly' discount on my 6MT TL. Keep up the great work Acura, I prefer buying cars below invoice.
Old 02-11-2012 | 08:22 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Fondly recall my two preludes, they were cheap and bulletproof even as heavily used cars when acquired. Kept my first gen TSX for almost six years which is the longest I ever owned the same car and speaks to how much it was appreciated as a commuter.

Or when team management keeps the same coaching philosophy which causes the team to lose year after year and the fan base keeps eroding, but insists that their strategy will work because??? But hey, if you look up in the rafters they still have a few championship banners from twenty years ago. Dumb.

Mansa's right though, shouldn't get my panties in a bunch, instead send Honda a thank you note for the 'ugly' discount on my 6MT TL. Keep up the great work Acura, I prefer buying cars below invoice.
Glad to see you've moved past defending the styling.
Old 02-11-2012 | 08:56 AM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Glad to see you've moved past defending the styling.

Think I was just trying to justify my purchase at the time.
Old 02-11-2012 | 03:00 PM
brahs be jelly

While we are complaining about Honda- bring back 4 wheel double-wishbones!
Old 02-11-2012 | 09:00 PM
Drifting

For the target audience, I doubt anybody's going to care about the SH-AWD. It'll have AWD if needed, and I'm betting that's all most people care about. I think when you get on forums like this is where people get picky (Seinfeld : "not that there's anything wrong with that").

I sat in a current-model RDX for the first time today and must say I liked the interior. I still can't fall in love with the exterior. Staring at it head-on, I felt like I was looking at a manta ray about to devour me. One thing I did like about the interior on the current model over the apparent design in the 2013 version is the way the center stack flowed into the gearbox and armrest - there was no break. I love that design. Am I remembering that correctly? I only sat in it for a minute or two.

Also interesting is that they're saying the RDX is a bigger vehicle. Hopefully they didn't make it overly big because at that point, I'd start wondering how many MDX sales it would eat into. Plus, there's a niche for smaller SUV's. We'll see.
Old 02-11-2012 | 11:47 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
For the target audience, I doubt anybody's going to care about the SH-AWD.
Bingo.

Acura rolled out the SH-AWD in 3 platforms (RL, MDX, RDX) that have the least ability to benefit from the dry weather handling advantage of torque vectoring. When I'm rolling the wifey's MDX to Costco, you really have to be driving very aggressively to feel the SH-AWD and the way she drives it it, might as well just be the RT-AWD which was in her previous CRV.

The RDX powertrain would have been great in the TSX with a 6MT though. I enjoy SH-AWD enough in the 6MT TL to overlook the dynamic power plenum and the power girdle, but would have preferred it in a lighter package.
Old 02-11-2012 | 11:59 PM
Senior Moderator

At least it looks better than the Infiniti EX
Old 02-12-2012 | 08:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
For the target audience, I doubt anybody's going to care about the SH-AWD.
You hit it right on the head of the nail!
Old 02-12-2012 | 10:15 PM
Coal

So boring I fell asleep halfway through the pictures.

and at the push button placement. by 2017 we'll have to crank the engine from the front ourselves.
Old 02-13-2012 | 09:15 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
No it doesn't.
Old 02-13-2012 | 03:15 PM
fap fap fap

still no rear air vents and no pano roof. advance.
Old 02-14-2012 | 04:34 PM
Instructor

"If you don't like what brand 'A' is selling, go buy something from brand 'B'. Is it really that hard?"

I did. I had a 2008 tech and was waiting to see what Acura was going to do with the RDX. I was hopeful they would include some of the features of the ZDX, like the panoramic roof and a Navi that competes with the other premium brands. The new RDX is not bad looking, but it lacks the features I was hoping for. The deletion of SH-AWD closed the door for me.

I've ended up buying a 2010 Audi Q5 Premium Plus with the S-Line package about a month ago. Included was a factory warranty through 2015 or 100,000. So far I really like it, but will admit it doesn't take the corners quite like the RDX did. The MMI is not as intuative, but once you get used to it, it works well. The 3.2 is a sweet engine, I love the acceleration when you get on it.

I've been an Acura/Honda customer since 1991, but they really seem to have lost their way. For years A/H seemed to lead the pack with features and performance, now they have Hyundai nipping at their heels.
Old 02-14-2012 | 06:53 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura

Pretty much everything looks better than the EX.
Old 02-14-2012 | 08:15 PM
Pinky all stinky

EX looks better
Old 02-15-2012 | 01:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

Pretty much everything looks better than the EX.
agree. true ugliness.
Old 02-15-2012 | 04:40 AM
Senior Moderator

I wouldn't compare the Infinti G wagon with the RDX. Two completely different segments, as far as I'm concerned. (And as much as I love Infiniti, I don't see the purpose of the the EX especially if it doesn't bring much more to the utility table -- if any -- than the G sedan.)

Last edited by F23A4; 02-15-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old 02-15-2012 | 10:34 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by tktommy
"If you don't like what brand 'A' is selling, go buy something from brand 'B'. Is it really that hard?"

I did. I had a 2008 tech and was waiting to see what Acura was going to do with the RDX. I was hopeful they would include some of the features of the ZDX, like the panoramic roof and a Navi that competes with the other premium brands. The new RDX is not bad looking, but it lacks the features I was hoping for. The deletion of SH-AWD closed the door for me.

I've ended up buying a 2010 Audi Q5 Premium Plus with the S-Line package about a month ago. Included was a factory warranty through 2015 or 100,000. So far I really like it, but will admit it doesn't take the corners quite like the RDX did. The MMI is not as intuative, but once you get used to it, it works well. The 3.2 is a sweet engine, I love the acceleration when you get on it.

I've been an Acura/Honda customer since 1991, but they really seem to have lost their way. For years A/H seemed to lead the pack with features and performance, now they have Hyundai nipping at their heels.
What? You seriously feel that your Q5 S-Line doesn't handle as good as the RDX??
Old 02-15-2012 | 11:26 AM
Instructor

Sor far I do. And this is with Bridgestone Wrangler summer tires. Some of this will be me getting used to the Q and gaining confidence. I just had some Continental DWS all-season tires put on, so I'll test the Q again.
Old 02-15-2012 | 11:43 AM
is out, so the

I have no doubt that this RDX will sell better than the last one.

I too am disappointed to see SH-AWD go, but I understand why. The average buyer for this RDX isn't going to be dogging it around every corner on the way to Wal-Mart.

As far as design, I think it's a pretty good package. The exterior does lack a little bit of sparkle. I think they could've dressed the front up with some satin trim pieces at least like the MMC TL. Those lower ports look pretty boring. Not saying they should douse it in chrome but a few finishing trim pieces wouldn't hurt. And I agree the halogen DRLs are pretty tired but PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THINGS HOLY DO NOT INSTALL LED DRLs. I'm disappointed to see there are no exhaust tips. What's that about? The rear end looks unfinished. Otherwise I think the rear looks good. I dig the rear spoiler too.

Sad to see no panoramic roof though. And honestly I think I liked the first gen interior better. I know this one is more 'mature' but I loved the way the first gens stack flowed into the console.

While it does look good, I hope Acura will offer accessories like the first gen. A front spoiler piece along with a rear skirt and some upgraded, more aggressive wheels could take it a long way.

I'd like to see it in a more exciting color too.
Old 02-15-2012 | 01:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I'm not sure if Honda/Acura had always been leading the pack with features and performance....

How long did it take before the Accord got a V6 engine. And when it finally got one, was it any better than the Maxima/Camry?

The Civic, it's been lacking behind the opposition in terms of power pretty much the whole time. Which car went to a 1.8L 120hp first? Corolla or Civic?

How about the 1st gen Odyssey? 4-banger minivan trying to compete with V6 competitors?

The only time that Honda and Acura were leading in terms of performance was when they launched the 260hp TL-S. Still, the G35 introduced soon after is on par with it, if not faster.

For the most part, Honda and Acura have been keeping up with performance and features, without really excelling. What they do well is delivering excellent REAL-WORLD performance and fuel economy (look at the torque curves and real world data). They have decent and useful features that are user-friendly. They have great quality. They are reliable. In short, they do well in subjective areas. I'm sure being a Honda guy since 1991, you are fully aware of all of the above.
Old 02-15-2012 | 01:20 PM
MechEng

i just noticed that too. where the %$&# are the exhaust tips?
Old 02-15-2012 | 01:55 PM
6G TLX-S

Sor far I do. And this is with Bridgestone Wrangler summer tires. Some of this will be me getting used to the Q and gaining confidence. I just had some Continental DWS all-season tires put on, so I'll test the Q again.
Oh yes, tires will make a big difference in handling performance.

Even better with extreme-performance summer tires, your Q will corner like it was on rail.
Old 02-23-2012 | 04:51 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yes, you’ve already seen the 2013 Acura RDX at two major auto shows this year, but until now we hadn’t seen official pricing for the brand’s latest compact luxury crossover. Acura announced today that the 2013 RDX will start at $35,205, including $885 in destination charges.

That price puts buyers into a base, front-wheel-drive RDX. For those keeping score, that’s about $1425 more than the previous front-wheel drive RDX – but considering the new model is all-new from head to toe and incorporates a number of new standard features, that may not be that sizable a premium.
As we’ve previously reported, the 2013 RDX does away with the old turbocharged I-4, and instead uses a 273-hp, 3.5-liter V-6. The five-speed automatic is also no more, as a new six-speed gearbox is now standard on both front- and all-wheel drive models. The new powertrain – along with a more efficient all-wheel drive system – promise to deliver better fuel economy than before; in fact, Acura predicts the front-wheel-drive model should return about 20/28 mpg (city/highway), which may put it near the top of its pack.
Standard equipment on the 2013 RDX includes leather-trimmed seating, a power moonroof, active noise cancellation, keyless entry and ignition, a multi-angle rear-view camera, Bluetooth phone connectivity, and a new infotainment system that incorporates text message integration and Pandora Internet radio connectivity. Adding all-wheel drive to the mix tacks on $1400 to the price tag, bringing the price up to $36,605.

Those seeking a fully-loaded 2013 RDX need only opt for the Technology Package, which throws in the brand’s signature ELS multichannel surround sound audio system, dual-zone automated climate control, a power liftgate, bi-xenon HID headlamps, fog lamps, and a navigation system tied to a 60-gigabyte hard disk. This package runs $3400; front- and all-wheel drive RDX models so equipped will be priced around $38,905 and $40,305, respectively.
At that price, the RDX keeps its stronghold as one of the least-expensive premium small crossovers. The 2013 RDX, with a base price of $35,205 exceeds that of the Volvo XC60 and Cadillac SRX, but is less than competitors offered by Infiniti, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, and BMW. For instance, a top-spec RDX with all-wheel drive and the Technology Package is out-priced by over $9000 by a comparably equipped BMW X3 xDrive28i.
Look for the 2013 Acura RDX to roll into dealers nationwide this spring.
Source: Acura

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/acura-anno...#ixzz1nFPxYocW
Roughly $1000-$2000 price increase (around 5%) depending on trims over the last gen. The AWD premium is noticeably less than before ($2000 for the last gen, $1400 for the new gen) since it's no longer SH.

The new gen is noticeably larger, with more standard features, more power, and way better fuel efficiency. It also seems to be more suitable for most people looking for a entry-level luxury CUV/SUV (aka: more bland......). It's around 5% more expensive than before, but still significant cheaper than most of the competitors. I personally don't like the fact that SH-AWD is now gone....but I understand the reasons behind that. Anyways, what do you guys think about the pricing?
Old 02-23-2012 | 11:34 PM
MechEng

the price/size increase could theoretically make room for a smaller SUV like a Q3/X1 fighter. but since they are Honda/Acura, they won't see this until 10 years from now.
Old 02-23-2012 | 11:41 PM
The Third Ball

The RX is still going to kick its ass.
Old 02-24-2012 | 12:02 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP
the price/size increase could theoretically make room for a smaller SUV like a Q3/X1 fighter. but since they are Honda/Acura, they won't see this until 10 years from now.
They first have to sell a car beneath the CR-V, then use that to make a Q3/X1 fighter...so ya...10 years sounds about right....haha
Old 02-24-2012 | 12:17 PM
6G TLX-S

No SH-AWD for the RDX. No more Acura "Advance" for the RDX !
Old 02-24-2012 | 02:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iforyou
It's around 5% more expensive than before, but still significant cheaper than most of the competitors. I personally don't like the fact that SH-AWD is now gone....but I understand the reasons behind that. Anyways, what do you guys think about the pricing?
US inflation rate is around 3% so the increase seems moderate, especially considering the added content. Still unclear on the status of HID in base models? Could they be referring to 'bi-xenon' vs. xenon or xenon vs. halogen? I'm guessing it's the later but it's not clearly stated.
Old 02-24-2012 | 05:13 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by Colin
US inflation rate is around 3% so the increase seems moderate, especially considering the added content. Still unclear on the status of HID in base models? Could they be referring to 'bi-xenon' vs. xenon or xenon vs. halogen? I'm guessing it's the later but it's not clearly stated.
Yea, the increase is actually not that much. However, psychologically, it sounds like a lot. The current model starts at $328xx. One will say that it starts at the low $30's. However, the new one has a base price of $343xx. And that's mid $30's. To some people, going from low $30's to mid $30's is a big jump, when it's only 5% or so in reality.
Old 02-24-2012 | 05:17 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

That's a lot of coin for a fancy CR-V.

Why not get a Q5 for that kind of $$$

Quick Reply: Acura: RDX News