Laser Shifter ZR3 Installation Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 01:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Laser Shifter ZR3 Installation Instructions

(Mods, sorry if this is the wrong section for this, I didn't see an "electronics" section)

Ok, well, I have the TL - but I am pretty sure the installation for the laser jammer is the same in the TSX.

The only differences would be that if you wanted to put the display in the center console, you do not have to disassemble the entire dash, you can simply pull out the center container to drill the hole.

Oh, also, the fuses may have a different layout in the TSX than the TL - so you want to check to make sure you are using the correct one.

And, in the trunk, the TSX has a lot of little plastic pieces also, but they use a phillips screw instead of a simple pop out like in the TL.

See the web site to try to understand what on earth I am speaking of.

http://www.acurakid.com/laser.html

If somebody does use this, please let me know if it works for the TSX. Also, modify the instructions/pictures and post it for others to use on their TSX. Hopefully, however, this will help somebody here.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:13 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write up on your website! Does this thing really work though?
Old 12-27-2004, 01:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PixelHarmony
Nice write up on your website! Does this thing really work though?

Some claim it do, some claim it don't. I guess only time will tell. There is somebody on the TL board who has a family member (cousin I think?) who is a state cop and is going to test it sometime in the upcoming months. I hope soon, so I know if it actually works or not.

My only speeding ticket (thusfar) has been from laser, so I figured it won't hurt to have this.

These instructions will also work for any hidden radar detector systems.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:20 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I thought laser jammers and shifters were illegal in most states?
Old 12-27-2004, 08:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Radar jammers are illegal in all states... laser jammers are not (if i remember correctly there is one state which it is illegal in... i cant remember which one though)
Old 12-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

theyre only illegal if theyre powered on or in any case visibile. unless theyre searching your vehical im sure they wont find it. they wont be happy any way if they do. most cases the laser deterrent will run so the first time u get shot it will read a mis read the second time it wont allowing you to thus slow down to the speed by time then and the wont bother you. i think it was 5th gear that was doing a special on it the other day. in europe they come in a box for "garage door openers" or something of that sort...... i forgot where else i read this, a year or so back my uncle was looking into one but lost interest
Old 12-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Originally Posted by vikrampatel
Some claim it do, some claim it don't. I guess only time will tell. There is somebody on the TL board who has a family member (cousin I think?) who is a state cop and is going to test it sometime in the upcoming months. I hope soon, so I know if it actually works or not.

My only speeding ticket (thusfar) has been from laser, so I figured it won't hurt to have this.

These instructions will also work for any hidden radar detector systems.
Oh wow, a cousin that's a cop. Now that's a plus! How many cops use a laser instead of a Radar though?
Old 12-27-2004, 10:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed2102
theyre only illegal if theyre powered on or in any case visibile. unless theyre searching your vehical im sure they wont find it. they wont be happy any way if they do. most cases the laser deterrent will run so the first time u get shot it will read a mis read the second time it wont allowing you to thus slow down to the speed by time then and the wont bother you. i think it was 5th gear that was doing a special on it the other day. in europe they come in a box for "garage door openers" or something of that sort...... i forgot where else i read this, a year or so back my uncle was looking into one but lost interest

interesting, thx for the info... but i must question, why would they be illegal if they are powered on or visible? if they are illegal they are illegal, if they are legal they are legal right? lol... but yes, if a cop sees it, they will be pissed
Old 12-27-2004, 10:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PixelHarmony
Oh wow, a cousin that's a cop. Now that's a plus! How many cops use a laser instead of a Radar though?
Im sure VERY few... ive only gotten laser alert three times with my valentine one (from a real cop that is... some cars, e.g. the infiniti fx use a laser for active cruise control, and the FX also uses it for brake assist, so if one of the FX35/45's passes you and they have the technology package, it is likely the laser on your radar detector will alert you - same goes for if you are behind many GM SUV's - when they hit their brakes the laser alert will beep - the 3rd brake light is on the same wave lenght as the laser guns)

But anyways, my only speeding ticket was from laser... so thats why I decided to invest in this.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

do not dismiss laser. around here they use it alot when you have the cop sittin on the side of the road gunning people. its hard to detect compared to the broad radar.
ive seen laser lots, and my detecter barely goes off
Old 12-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vikrampatel
interesting, thx for the info... but i must question, why would they be illegal if they are powered on or visible? if they are illegal they are illegal, if they are legal they are legal right? lol... but yes, if a cop sees it, they will be pissed

if they are powered on theyre illegal beucase then they are considered obstruction towards a police officer. If they are not powered they can be considered useless electronics, tho this would not make a cop very happy if he sees it beucase he knows what you will be using it for. thus the reason why u can HAVE a radar in the restricted states but u cannot have it on or accessable to the driver or something of that sort. every state is different. so basically you can say your trasnfering it or something of that sort.

best piece of advice is be smart, out of sight out of mind (mount the stuff behind all of those little doors we have), and when you see a cop slow down! it can only help you if u know to react once u realzie your being shot at. most places now if you do get a ticket ask for the damn slip! cops have VERY little leverage when they "eye ball" how fast you were going. cuz honestly, the same speed redlining the TSX seems a hell of alot faster to a bystander than if it was cruising along, mostly beucase of the sound and what not.

there usta be a web site around here with all this information on it. i was really looking into this stuff when like i said my uncle was asking about it. they really get intricate, espeically on high end vehicals like ferraris and porsches.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:26 AM
Cruisin'

Radar and lasser are illegal in both VA and washington DC. I live in MD, and work in VA. I have a V1 and ZR3 jammers and they've been a great help. The seem to false alot w/ the bright sun or LED tail lights. I've had no complaints so far... and more importantly, no tickets.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

the V1 falses with LED tail lights or the sun??? lol i thought V1 and passport were best money can buy

edit: self compact detector (meaning one box, dash mounted, ive seen some pretty elaborate systems where theres sensors planted around the vehical and the price is more than double the v1)
Old 12-28-2004, 09:45 AM
Suzuka Master

I have never seen the V1 false with the sun. The led tail lights (the 3rd brake light in many GM SUV's) sets off the laser alert on all good radar/laser detectors because it is on the same frequency.