Fuses for my Distribution block

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fuses for my Distribution block

I'm about to buy a new fused distribution block on Ebay and I have a couple of questions about the fuses.

I going to buy this distribution block:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...71131&tc=photo

The seller also had these fuses:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...31508&tc=photo

The fuses are rated at 60 amps and I'm wondering if this is what I want or not.

Is there such a thing has having a fuse that is rated too high?
If this fuse is rated higher than the amount of current that my AMP is drawing then, would my amp blow before this fuse blows?

I want to also hook up the following things to the distribution block:
Pioneer GEX-P6400TV - TV Tuner
Pioneer SIR-PNR1 - Sirius Tuner
Rosen 10 Disc DVD/mp3 changer

Will these fuses also be what I want for the components listed above? Or is 60 AMP too high for these components?

I appreciate the help guys!
Old 02-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
does that block have room for only 1 fuse? If so, its ok if its larger than your amp fuses (they will blow if necessary). I have a 150 amp fuse - the one that came with my wire kit.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

What up OU!

Well in looking at the pics it looks like it actually has room for 4 fuses. 1 for each 8 guage output.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:24 PM
2004 TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsx536
Pioneer GEX-P6400TV - TV Tuner
Pioneer SIR-PNR1 - Sirius Tuner
Rosen 10 Disc DVD/mp3 changer
!
I would guess(reading your manuals can help here), you only need about a 10 amp fuse on the TV tuner, a 10 amp fuse on the Sirius tuner and 15 MAYBE 20 amp fuse on the changer....

But if all the units have their own fuses anyway, then adding extra fuses doesn't really do anything except maybe protect the car(put only on the piece of wire between the fuse and the unit , I hope this is clear) depending on your install:::: explained in next paragraph..

I'm guessing the 150 amp fuse ou sig is talking about is one that would be at the battery and this is for protecting the car, not the equipment...Which you would also want on your install...
Old 02-03-2005, 04:33 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Putting the above another way, any wire connected to the battery (by you) should have a fuse or fusible link within 12-18 inches of the (+) battery terminal. Then the fuses in your dist block will fuse each feed and ONLY protect the wire from the d-block to the component, and the component itself.

However, it seems that most of what's connecting to the d-block is 5-10 amps. That block is best when you are using 3-4 amplfiers with big draws, not one amplifier and 3 piddly items. I hate using those big fuses for tiny current draws... I think 10A is as small as you can get.

How many amps you using? If one, don't buy this DB, and use an ATC fuse block for your small items. If more than one amp, then this one is OK, but still get an ATC FB, and feed it off of one of the fuese in this big FB.

As Musicbox said, if you have protected the wire at teh battery, and your components have fuses on them, you aren't gaining much... protecting against shorts in your 18 ga Rosen changer power wire that won't blow your battery fuse, is all.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Thanks for the help MusicBox. Hey what happened to your avatar? I haven't seen it since the changeover.

Yeah I already have a fuse under the hood at the battery.
Hmm...now that I think about it....
The Pioneer TV tuner I have does have an in line fuses on the wires and my amp has an internal fuse.

I haven't gotten the Sirius Tuner or the DVD changer yet, but I'm assuming those should have inline fuses.

In all of my other cars, I've always had a distribution block. Do you think having one is kinda overkill? Is it not really needed?
Old 02-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by elduderino
How many amps you using? If one, don't buy this DB, and use an ATC fuse block for your small items. If more than one amp, then this one is OK, but still get an ATC FB, and feed it off of one of the fuese in this big FB.

As Musicbox said, if you have protected the wire at teh battery, and your components have fuses on them, you aren't gaining much... protecting against shorts in your 18 ga Rosen changer power wire that won't blow your battery fuse, is all.
Thanks Eld. I think I understand now. I thought that it was overkill, but I always try to be safe. I won't be getting the distribution block now.

The Pioneer components should come with inline fuses, but I'm not sure about the Rosen DVD changer. That's still in the mail. If that doesn't come with an inline fuse, I'll just go pick up a cheap one at a auto store.

I'm going to be hooked the components directly to my 1/2 farat capacitor.
Does that make a difference?
Is it still safe without having a fused DB?
Old 02-03-2005, 05:54 PM
VP Electricity

I like smaller ATC style Fuse/dist blocks for stuff like that... Honestly, I can't remember if the Rosen changer has a fuse or not, and I should remember. I THINK the answer is no...

Here's one: http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...cat=746&page=1

Tap this off of your cap...
Old 02-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

You da man Eld! Thanks!

Also, so is Rosen a decent company? I got a very good price on the changer, so that's why I picked it up. I had never heard of Rosen before buying, but the deal was just too good to pass up.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:41 PM
VP Electricity

Rosen is a decent company, their specialty is high-end overhead monitors and all-in-ones... that changer is actually used by several brands (including Sony! it's true...it's their DVD changer as well) and Rosen doesn't make it per se. It's made by a Taiwanese supplier - who sells it to a few different people.

You have to turn it on every time after you turn off the ignition - it wakes up "off".
Old 02-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
What up OU!

Well in looking at the pics it looks like it actually has room for 4 fuses. 1 for each 8 guage output.
What up man, ya my fuse is like they said, real close to the battery on my main power line to the distribution block in the trunk. Really doesnt matter how you do it, just make sure you have fuse protection on everything and one main one close to your battery...In other words, you dont need a distribution block w/fuses because all the items that require power will have their own correct fuses built in.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:11 PM
2004 TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help MusicBox. Hey what happened to your avatar? I haven't seen it since the changeover.
?
I just never fixed it, here, I fixed it now...