Bypassing Bose EQ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 04:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bypassing Bose EQ?

Hi Everyone, i have a 02 TL-S Non-Navi Bose HU and I had already replaced the stock speakers with aftermarket ones. It sounds much better now, but now I really do want to bypass the Bose EQ to help with the sound. I did a few searches but i'm having a hard time finding a wire diagram of the pinouts to the EQ and what i need to loopback to the HU (dead links or missing pictures). I already printed out a DIY about how to get to the back of the HU, but I need to know which pins to tap back to the HU.

Anyone with info or color codes for the wires on which harness, or a scan of the pin outs that would be great! I'm trying to do this on Thanksgiving so if anyone can help ASAP that would be great!

Thanks again!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If you bypass the amp i',m pretty sure your not gonna have sound cause the speakers dont run off the HU. I came to this assumption when i tried to hook up my house speakers to my Bose HU just to see if it worked and it didn't.

If you want better controls replace your headunit then the tuning is endless. Although I hated how it sounded with a Pioneer HU, I went back with the stock HU and I'm loving it. IMO the Bose speakers can't sound any better if you change the HU, the Stock HU will give the stock speakers the best sound.

Last edited by MOBB; 11-27-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Re read what he asked. Hes not bypassing the amp,(you cant its built into the HU) he wants to bypass the EQ, which will make his speakers sound better. Especially since he got rid of the shitty speakers it comes with.

And your wrong, the stock speakers can sound better.(not much but they can)

Goofytek, unfortunately all the old threads the pics are no longer working. I wont be by my manual for 5 or so more days to help out.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Intermediate

Ah thanks tho, I'll bump this thread again in a few days to see im able to get the scans. I've put off the bypass/loopback for now until i get more info on the wire/pinouts/color codes i need to work it out. I didnt want to pull it all apart and just try lol.

But from additional reading about this, seems like people say u do lose some gain from bypassing the EQ and It might not be loud enough at MAX Vol anymore, Maybe I might just amp them up as well while im at it. But first thing first i guess!

PS: If anyone is wondering, I don't really want to put an Aftermarket HU in the car, I have lost about 3-4 HU from all my other cars, so I really dont want to do that unless the Stock HU fails or breaksdown. Plus broken windows are not cool.

Thanks again!
Old 11-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Sok saBai jia dtay?

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If Ronco made stereo's

Originally Posted by goofytek
.......... seems like people say u do lose some gain from bypassing the EQ and It might not be loud enough at MAX Vol anymore, Maybe I might just amp them up as well while im at it. But first thing first i guess!
Thanks again!
Max volume & best audio quality on a Bose system is achieved by running ONLY their units in the system - period. They get max volume by setting an EQ curve that is uniquely matched to the compliance & crossover settings of the speakers. Replacing only the speakers (the most common first step) will often increase the high-end response & make people think they have better "sound". Too bad the loss of normal bass output leaves the results somewhat less than satisfactory = no gain. A better (i.e. more powerful) amp will simply overdrive speakers that are already matched correctly to the existing system parameters = no gain.
I always told customers that Bose made the best GOOD systems in the world, but every attempt to mix-n-match head units, amps, eqs, speakers - ended up in a far worse audio condition.
I was shopping today for parts for my new system, so we are both heading in the same direction. I have seen some incredible pic's of stereo systems in member's cars, but I am doing this myself and attempting to not pay anyone a dime for the install. The bummer so far is realizing that i'll lose my steering wheel controls.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
here ya go!

Sorry all the images from years ago disappeared.

Anyway, The bypass is rather simple:

Total of three cuts: B1-B3, B7-B9, B4-B8.

Here is some reading that may help out.

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/amp-installation-eq-bypass-229882/
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/engine-noise-no-fader-after-install-214005/

Also, if you want even more, do an advanced search with "bypass" as the
keyword and "iggy" as the username.

Iggy
Old 12-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Intermediate

Thanks! this is what I was looking for!

Old 12-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I hear you on the steering controls.......