Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 01:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
You have an inch on me but I really didn't find it a borderline call.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
I mean, I do

Work related purposes.
occupational hazard, huh? Touché!
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 02:53 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
The only real alternative these days is a SUV. I drove a 3G RDX ultimately I came to the conclusion I wasn’t an SUV guy and traded it in for a TLX-2 Aspec. Kids and wife are long gone so real need for a roomy rear seat.

About the BMW 5, I ubered in a 540i last year and was surprised at how much room there wasn’t in the rear and believe it or not the relative cheapness of the rear door panel inserts. They looked good, but I was expecting better in a $75K automobile.
Sadly you are probably right re: rear seating accommodations but I will not buy/lease SUV/CUV. Couple other alternatives to look at for me -- Genesis G80 (though not a fan of Hyundai/Kia) and lightly used Toyota Avalon (yes, I know -- old man's car -that's OK I'll have wife use that one, LOL. Agreed re: BMW. I'm not a fan of their current offerings. In a moment of weakness I almost bought an E39 (2003) BMW 530i but the arrogance of the local BMW dealer coupled with the ridiculous price told me to drive over to the Acura store where I had bought my first Acura in 2000. Within 10 minutes I had ordered the beloved 04 TL at invoice less any incentives. Easy/straightforward sales manager and now after 17.5 years that car owes me nothing however still looks/runs very nicely. I so love Acura of the 90s up through the end of the Gen III production run in 2008. I am not at all impressed with BMW's offerings.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:04 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuransx1
Presently I am in a holding pattern. Since the A6 has relatively low miles and I have a tech at the Audi dealer who is willing do work on the side for me I'm OK running that car another couple of years (only has 58K miles but, you know, German......anything can happen, LOL). I also still have the beloved 04 TL.

There isn't much on the market these days that will give me a mid to larger size sport sedan with a comfortable rear compartment. While not a sport sedan, the top spec Chevy Impala that I rented a few times for business trips was very nice (shocking, I know) -- kind of like A6 light -- 2/3 the cost and 85-90% as good. Sadly that one is out of production. I don't see myself as a Cadillac guy so that takes their sedans out of contention. Perhaps another A6 but to tell you the truth I'm waiting on the rumored new Mazda 6 and hoping that it has a decent size rear compartment. https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023...6-future-cars/ Ford has no sedans to sell, FCA/Stellantis only has very old platform cars and I don't really want a Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger and aside from Cadillac, GM has nothing.

I don't want anything as big as a 7 series BMW/Audi A8 or S Class Mercedes for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that I'd like to leave the German car maintenance costs and suspect reliability behind. I did stop by the BMW dealer on my way to the office and sat in the back of a 5 Series -- not as roomy/comfortable rear compartment as the A6.

Given the ever shrinking sedan lineup I'm not going to wait too long. Despite my desire to leave the Fatherland, I may execute on another A6 (may let someone else take the depreciation hit and get a CPO last year C7 platform [2018] since that has the supercharged engine with which I am familiar and like much more than the replacement /19 and newer turbo engine, assuming I can find one with low miles at right price with a good service history). Perhaps a lightly used 2020/21 Chevy Impala. While I'd love to return to the Honda/Acura camp I just can't find anything that suits my needs. I did drive the Accord and while it's not bad, I don't care for how it looks, especially the rear end.

I'm really hoping that Mazda comes out with something that speaks to me. I've driven a number of their cars over the years and of those I've driven I have found most very enjoyable to drive -- kind of like Honda/Acura of years past.

If you have any suggestions please share -- mabye I'm overlooking a viable candidate. Thanks!

Best,
Jeff
Kuddos for holding on to one of the best Acura's every produced. Do you have any pictures of your TL?
Old 08-28-2021, 03:11 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Audi A5, has space for 4 adults and luggage in the back without issues, no SUV required. Kia Stinger and VW Arteon are similar. Would personally avoid the Arteon due to the terrible sound system.
honestly it’s not that much of a difference compared to the tlx. I’m 5,10” and had zero issues in both cars. The only difference was I felt that I could put my feet further under the seat in the s5. You have more shoulder room in the tlx.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:19 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by motlagh
Have the guys complaining about back seat space actually sat in the rear of the car? I get the point that you might expect more space due to the exterior proportions, but I have to think we're talking about two different cars if you consider the back to be "tiny." At least for someone of average height, it is not "tight" or "tiny" by any fair use of the words. I found it comfortable and not cramped at all, but of course this will ultimately depend on your needs. For comparison, I agree that the A6 is much roomier on the inside, but in my view it's more of a dedicated passenger car (recently test drove).
I have and although I am only 5'10" I found it rather confining and not a place I would want to be for very long. I brought the Gen I TLX home when I decided to get something newer than my beloved 04 TL (still have it can't say enough good about it) in 2015 and my then 12 year old (pretty tall kid) immediately remarked that the back seat was smaller than in the old TL. I wish that the TLX Gen II had a roomier back seat. I would for certain be looking at the Type S if that were the case. Oh well......

Best,
Jeff
Old 08-28-2021, 03:23 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Some folks have been trying to frame the new TLX as a "family car" but having issues with necessities like seat comfort when a normal sized child seat is installed in the back.

I've said it a million times on AZ: the 2G TLX is not a good family car (small kids and/or small adults are ok).
Right - I'm 5'10" 175 and the front seat fits me like a glove - but I don't think someone who is 6'3" 210 would really like it. Same for the back. I can count on two hands the number of times I had someone in the back seat of my 2015 TLX so the back is of zero concern to me. We had 5 adults and 2 kids in the Pilot last night with no trouble at all so we're covered when we need/want to haul people.

It's really a red herring IMO - If the backseat was a big deal for me I would test drive a bunch of cars that I like and see what worked and what didn't work and go from there. Frankly I would likely get an Accord and call it a day.
ELIN (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 03:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by motlagh
Have the guys complaining about back seat space actually sat in the rear of the car? I get the point that you might expect more space due to the exterior proportions, but I have to think we're talking about two different cars if you consider the back to be "tiny." At least for someone of average height, it is not "tight" or "tiny" by any fair use of the words. I found it comfortable and not cramped at all, but of course this will ultimately depend on your needs. For comparison, I agree that the A6 is much roomier on the inside, but in my view it's more of a dedicated passenger car (recently test drove).
I've taken a tape measure and car seat to the dealership to objectively determine just how much usable space there actually is. Legroom notwithstanding, there's also a really poor amount of headroom, even less than the 1G TLX. The choice in rear bench design is also a problem; the middle seat is completely unusable for anyone over 5'5". I'm 5'8" and I have to hunch over quite a bit in that seat. And don't even think about putting a rear-facing car seat in the middle seat (which is the safest seat). There's a total lack of vertical space so loading a baby/toddler requires a bit of contorting. Believe it or not the Audi A5 Sportback has more rear legroom and headroom, even though it's 11 inches shorter and 2 inches lower. For whatever reason Acura decided to differentiate itself from Honda by completely eschewing practical and thoughtful interior design.

Last edited by fiatlux; 08-28-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:44 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by djhtsx
honestly it’s not that much of a difference compared to the tlx. I’m 5,10” and had zero issues in both cars. The only difference was I felt that I could put my feet further under the seat in the s5. You have more shoulder room in the tlx.
That was my impression when I got in the back of my car. I’m 5’11”. While forward knee room was barely acceptable the width of the car permitted me to widely open my legs and get relatively comfortable back there. I couldn’t even imagine sticking anyone in the center seat. That would border on cruel and unusual punishment. 😂
Old 08-28-2021, 03:51 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Kuddos for holding on to one of the best Acura's every produced. Do you have any pictures of your TL?
I'm a total luddite -- I do but might take me a week to figure out how to upload to this site! The TL is satin silver with the grey interior -- agree with you 100% absolutely best car I've ever had and at 191K miles uses no oil, engine never been opened, on its second timing belt/water pump, etc. replacement -- just love it. Hope it never leaves the family because it will be like death of a beloved pet. When I did the last TB/WP I also replaced the starter, alternator and PS pump, just because they all had 180K miles and were cheap (no more than $135 each) -- OEM parts (Denso in case of starter and alternator). I also replaced the three coil packs on the rear bank because they are so hard to get to without some level of disassembly. In the 17.5 years of ownership and the 191K miles approximately $2,000 of repairs -- throttle position sensor, a/c compressor at 14 years and some other electronic do-hicky can't remember exactly what it was. No complaints from this very satisfied customer!

While I would love a nice sport sedan a la TLX S Type, I'll content myself with my /94 NSX when I feel the need. I'm sure much slower than the S Type but I'll cope.

Best,
Jeff
04WDPSeDaN (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 03:54 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Right - I'm 5'10" 175 and the front seat fits me like a glove - but I don't think someone who is 6'3" 210 would really like it. Same for the back. I can count on two hands the number of times I had someone in the back seat of my 2015 TLX so the back is of zero concern to me. We had 5 adults and 2 kids in the Pilot last night with no trouble at all so we're covered when we need/want to haul people.

It's really a red herring IMO - If the backseat was a big deal for me I would test drive a bunch of cars that I like and see what worked and what didn't work and go from there. Frankly I would likely get an Accord and call it a day.
When I drove the Accord I was impressed with the size of the back seat -- bigger than my A6. I had high hopes that the Gen 2 TLX would grow a larger rear compartment. Sadly not. I can't warm up to the looks of the Accord, especially that droopy rear end.

Best,
Jeff
Old 08-28-2021, 04:53 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

I'm a total luddite -- I do but might take me a week to figure out how to upload to this site! The TL is satin silver with the grey interior -- agree with you 100% absolutely best car I've ever had and at 191K miles uses no oil, engine never been opened, on its second timing belt/water pump, etc. replacement -- just love it. Hope it never leaves the family because it will be like death of a beloved pet. When I did the last TB/WP I also replaced the starter, alternator and PS pump, just because they all had 180K miles and were cheap (no more than $135 each) -- OEM parts (Denso in case of starter and alternator). I also replaced the three coil packs on the rear bank because they are so hard to get to without some level of disassembly. In the 17.5 years of ownership and the 191K miles approximately $2,000 of repairs -- throttle position sensor, a/c compressor at 14 years and some other electronic do-hicky can't remember exactly what it was. No complaints from this very satisfied customer!

While I would love a nice sport sedan a la TLX S Type, I'll content myself with my /94 NSX when I feel the need. I'm sure much slower than the S Type but I'll cope.

Best,
Jeff
I have been a proud owner of my 2004 TL for 15 years. The vehicle is in near show room condition with no expense spared. I treat my TL as a classic. It's disappointing to see the condition of these vehicles today. My goal is to either keep it forever, or to list it on cars and bids at the 20 year old mark. Currently at 99,XXX miles and recently had it's 2nd paint correction / ceramic coating with very minor random dings removed. The car is soo damn flawless, I have yet to drive it since it had the work done.

The following 8 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-28-2021), F23A4 (08-28-2021), MarcoTLX (08-29-2021), mode360 (08-29-2021), Nexx (08-29-2021), Shadow2056 (08-29-2021), sonyfever (08-30-2021), vhtran (08-30-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-28-2021, 05:19 PM
10th Gear

04 -- YUMMY! And with the manual to boot. DOUBLE YUMMY. That's about near perfect, if not actually perfect. I'm a total sicko -- always looking at cargurus and other websites for a minty /08 with low miles, silver w/light color interior, from a location where rust not an issue but not too darn hot so as to avoid a cooked interior, no accidents, nice service history. Not looking for a bargain -- so much inherent goodness in the Gen III TL I'm not put off paying top dollar even though by now an /08 is 13/14 years old!

My good friend who is a 25 year + Acura tech had a customer of his give him his old 04 manual transmission TL. Care to know how many miles were on that car? Wait for it. 550,000 Not kidding. You have a few miles to go.

Thanks for sharing that pic. Mine with over twice the miles still looks very good but now showroom like yours.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:02 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Do you have any videos you can post?
Old 08-28-2021, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

I haven't seen a 3G TL in that kind of condition since 2008. Very nice!!!
Old 08-29-2021, 04:33 AM

When I drove the Accord I was impressed with the size of the back seat -- bigger than my A6. I had high hopes that the Gen 2 TLX would grow a larger rear compartment. Sadly not. I can't warm up to the looks of the Accord, especially that droopy rear end.

Best,
Jeff
I was excited to see the "all new" Accord redesign when they trotted it out only to be completely deflated when the new design was actually a Chevy Impala. That said - I've been worn down a bit over the years to the degree I considered an Accord Hybrid before I got the new TLX. That's not to say I like the Accord styling but I'm at the point where I could live with it because the car is super functional.
BEAR-AvHistory (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 08:22 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

04 -- YUMMY! And with the manual to boot. DOUBLE YUMMY. That's about near perfect, if not actually perfect. I'm a total sicko -- always looking at cargurus and other websites for a minty /08 with low miles, silver w/light color interior, from a location where rust not an issue but not too darn hot so as to avoid a cooked interior, no accidents, nice service history. Not looking for a bargain -- so much inherent goodness in the Gen III TL I'm not put off paying top dollar even though by now an /08 is 13/14 years old!

My good friend who is a 25 year + Acura tech had a customer of his give him his old 04 manual transmission TL. Care to know how many miles were on that car? Wait for it. 550,000 Not kidding. You have a few miles to go.

Thanks for sharing that pic. Mine with over twice the miles still looks very good but now showroom like yours.
Thank you for the kind words Acuransx! I'm confident these vehicles can go for the long run with the proper maintenance done. The ugly truth is, as these vehicles age, they tend to require a lot of work. Recently I helped out two 3rd gen TL owners. One individual I never met, I paypal him $100.00 to buy some used tires as his were completely smoked. The other being a friend of mine decided to go through high water and hydrolocked his motor. Last Sunday I worked on his TL to remove the water from the cylinders and paid for the supplies. After all said and done, I got this TL to run, but it had a knock and a misfire on cylinder 1. I told him, well you're on borrowed time for now. Needless to say, two days ago his motor went. I spent some time to find him a used motor. He called me because he needed money to fill up his bosses vehicle (which he was using til his car gets fixed) so I gave him money to get him by. The repair shop doing the work is a friend of mine so I had asked him to do his best on the labor. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people like this that are down on their luck. My wife got on my ass and told me to stop helping everyone because I end up being used. I've helped out many friends and members here before. Some try to push the helping hand a bit too much as in this case with my friend.

Originally Posted by dmski
Do you have any videos you can post?
I'm not sure If you're asking me but I do have two videos on my TL on youtube.

Originally Posted by F23A4
I haven't seen a 3G TL in that kind of condition since 2008. Very nice!!!
Thank you brotha! Hopefully one day we can meet up and you will see it in person.

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 08-29-2021 at 08:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-29-2021), F23A4 (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 01:31 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
My only point was that the lack of rear seat room would also be a problem for anyone looking to purchase a G70 yet no one here is criticizing the G70 for having a small back seat. The G70 is the smallest car in the segment and that includes the IS350. The most repeated complaint I’ve read from people who have shopped the G70 is that the interior of the car was too small for them. I’ve no doubt the G70 is a great car, but to overlook the fact that it’s small inside is giving the car more credit than it’s due.
You keep belaboring the point that we should all be dissing the G70 because it's small because we are critical of the Type-S for back seat room. I can't speak for the others here, but I don't give a $hit about the G70's rear room. It was never on my list to consider. Actually, 2 1/2 months ago the ONLY car I was considering was the Type-S. I didn't bring a tape measure with me, but it was obvious when I first saw the actual vehicle it was BIG. Much bigger than I expected. Yet for all the extra size, it was smaller in the rear than my TL Type-S. Alone, not a deal killer, but the cumulative effect of over marketing and then failing to meet the expectations they created was and remains a deal killer. If they had built the car they marketed I'd have cheerfully bought one.
BEAR-AvHistory (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 04:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mike03a3
You keep belaboring the point that we should all be dissing the G70 because it's small because we are critical of the Type-S for back seat room. I can't speak for the others here, but I don't give a $hit about the G70's rear room. It was never on my list to consider. Actually, 2 1/2 months ago the ONLY car I was considering was the Type-S. I didn't bring a tape measure with me, but it was obvious when I first saw the actual vehicle it was BIG. Much bigger than I expected. Yet for all the extra size, it was smaller in the rear than my TL Type-S. Alone, not a deal killer, but the cumulative effect of over marketing and then failing to meet the expectations they created was and remains a deal killer. If they had built the car they marketed I'd have cheerfully bought one.
Fair enough. Actually went to my local Genesis or should I say Hyundai dealer to check out the G70. Man was that place a dump. No way could I see myself wanting to go there for service. Anyone needing rear seat room is no even going to consider a G70. With the seat set to my driving position there was maybe an inch more of knee room. The main reason for this is that the seat back is thinner than that of my Aspec. Hip room was less than my car. You’re not sitting three people in the back of the G70 even if you wanted to add I think it would be a pain to put a child’s car seat back there. Two car seats would be a no do.

The thing that surprised me was that the driver’s well was too small for me to sit in comfortably. The portion of the center console is made of hard material that did not support my knee comfortably. The seats were also too narrow for my frame. I’m 6’ 200lbs. Other than that the cabin is premium though I don’t care for the waffle pattern on the door insets. Overall a good looking vehicle, but ultimately to small someone of my sature or larger.

Last edited by Honda430; 08-29-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:29 PM
10th Gear

I was excited to see the "all new" Accord redesign when they trotted it out only to be completely deflated when the new design was actually a Chevy Impala. That said - I've been worn down a bit over the years to the degree I considered an Accord Hybrid before I got the new TLX. That's not to say I like the Accord styling but I'm at the point where I co.uld live with it because the car is super functional.
Understand your sentiment fully. Yes the Accord is functional but then again, so is my refrigerator,, LOL. I've always enjoyed driving and aside from performance/utility I do consider the aesthetics so the Accord is a no go for me. As for the Impala, have you driven the top spec version with the 3.6 liter V6. The car is essentially a Cadillac CTS with a different body sans some of the fluffery that the Caddy has which I would happily live without. The Impala in Premier trim really impressed me and I'm not easily impressed. I'd take a chance on the Chevy before the Accord. My first car was a /77 Chevy Caprice Classic that I bought from the leasing company after my Dad was done with it @ 85K miles. I drove that baby to 200K miles -- very few issues with that buggy so I have a soft spot for full size Chevrolets.

Best,
Jeff
Old 08-29-2021, 06:33 PM
10th Gear

Fair enough. Actually went to my local Genesis or should I say Hyundai dealer to check out the G70. Man was that place a dump. No way could I see myself wanting to go there for service.
That's one of the knocks on Genesis -- Hyundai/Kia dealers cater to a different demographic. I've gotten used to what the Acura dealer used to be (my local dealer gave up the Acura franchise a year or so ago) but they were always great -- service and treatment was at the upper end of the spectrum. From what I hear in my part of Michigan the Hyundai/Kia dealers are awful. Uh, no thanks. Although the G80 is something I should try, I think I will pass.

Best,
Jeff
Old 08-29-2021, 07:44 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 339 Likes on 228 Posts
Acura wanted to create hype for the return of the Type-S after a decade and I presume marketing it as a performance sedan was the way to go what can you say?

Yesterday I saw the Type-S in person for the first time yesterday and it looks even better in person and the interior is nice and lush imo. I probably will test drive it soon but how I see it is it’s nicely balanced, it’s not the fastest but it’s not the slowest either. It’s a speedy daily driver that’s faster than most common cars on the road and that works for me. I wouldn’t be worried about backseat space since I don’t necessarily have to haul my immediate family around. I think it looks great, got good performance and handling.

my only nit pick is that the bulbous rear end of the car is a look that would have to grow on me (which it has started to do)

That being said, I am now considering trading in my current car (2016 TLX V6) and getting into a Type-S (or a 2018+ A-Spec at the very least) I do feel the msrp is abit steep for the TLX but not ludicrous as long as it can be bought at msrp only and no ADM and other unnecessary charges.

P.S. did anyone notice that the 2021 TLX A-Spec has fog lights but the Type-S doesn’t? I just noticed that yesterday lol

Last edited by MarcoTLX; 08-29-2021 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
Acura wanted to create hype for the return of the Type-S after a decade and I presume marketing it as a performance sedan was the way to go what can you say?

Yesterday I saw the Type-S in person for the first time yesterday and it looks even better in person and the interior is nice and lush imo. I probably will test drive it soon but how I see it is it’s nicely balanced, it’s not the fastest but it’s not the slowest either. It’s a speedy daily driver that’s faster than most common cars on the road and that works for me. I wouldn’t be worried about backseat space since I don’t necessarily have to haul my immediate family around. I think it looks great, got good performance and handling.

my only nit pick is that the bulbous rear end of the car is a look that would have to grow on me (which it has started to do)

That being said, I am now considering trading in my current car (2016 TLX V6) and getting into a Type-S (or a 2018+ A-Spec at the very least) I do feel the msrp is abit steep for the TLX but not ludicrous as long as it can be bought at msrp only and no ADM and other unnecessary charges.

P.S. did anyone notice that the 2021 TLX A-Spec has fog lights but the Type-S doesn’t? I just noticed that yesterday lol
It's been mentioned in a few reviews and there seems to be a functional reason for it, largely to increase air intake area.
MarcoTLX (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
A lot of complaining about the rear seat room, how many people have actually used it? I put an 8 and 10 year old in the back seats of my new type S daily and there is literally 0 issue. I was all concerned about it after hearing all the moaning, but they are more then comfortable back there. If multiple times a week youre driving with adults in the back ( in which case 99% if people in that situation would just buy an suv) maybe there is better options, but at 6’ i can fit comfortably, if not luxuriously, behind myself. Probably worth giving it an actual try before writting it off as an option.

one thing i will say is that the car doesnt work well with tall bottomed booster seats. If a childs feet are raised significantly off the floor because of a thick bottomed booster then they may have to sit a bit pigeon toed in winter boots or if the have abnormally large feet. I had these for my kids…

and didnt realize how obnoxiously thick they were until i put them in this car and it raised their feet 12” off the floor. I replaced them with these…

And now have no issues

im not saying its perfect for everyone, but as someone that uses the back seat every day i do not find it to be an issue.

Old 08-29-2021, 10:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Took a day trip with my 14 y/o and 11 y/o in the back seat of my A-Spec…..zero complaints; and my kids aren’t exactly known for withholding complaints.
MarcoTLX (08-30-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 11:20 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sombasol
A lot of complaining about the rear seat room, how many people have actually used it? I put an 8 and 10 year old in the back seats of my new type S daily and there is literally 0 issue. I was all concerned about it after hearing all the moaning, but they are more then comfortable back there. If multiple times a week youre driving with adults in the back ( in which case 99% if people in that situation would just buy an suv) maybe there is better options, but at 6’ i can fit comfortably, if not luxuriously, behind myself. Probably worth giving it an actual try before writting it off as an option.

one thing i will say is that the car doesnt work well with tall bottomed booster seats. If a childs feet are raised significantly off the floor because of a thick bottomed booster then they may have to sit a bit pigeon toed in winter boots or if the have abnormally large feet. I had these for my kids…

and didnt realize how obnoxiously thick they were until i put them in this car and it raised their feet 12” off the floor. I replaced them with these…

And now have no issues

im not saying its perfect for everyone, but as someone that uses the back seat every day i do not find it to be an issue.
Short of having amputees in your car, your kids are of the age where they require the least amount of space. Want to try to fit a rear facing car seat into the back without seriously encroaching on the front passenger's space? Good luck. Want to load a baby into said rear facing carseat without constantly bumping their head (or your head) on the low roof? Good luck.

And yes, I actually brought two different car seats to try out in the 2G TLX, and a tape measure. More than happy to share the measurements of how the front seats have to be positioned so you can see what I'm talking about.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:17 AM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Short of having amputees in your car, your kids are of the age where they require the least amount of space. Want to try to fit a rear facing car seat into the back without seriously encroaching on the front passenger's space? Good luck. Want to load a baby into said rear facing carseat without constantly bumping their head (or your head) on the low roof? Good luck.

And yes, I actually brought two different car seats to try out in the 2G TLX, and a tape measure. More than happy to share the measurements of how the front seats have to be positioned so you can see what I'm talking about.
you need an SUV if this is your problem. Not any car in this segment.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:38 AM
Safety Car

Believe it or not, an A5/S5 SB works just fine, as does my V60. Also tried a Model 3, and there were no problems with that. All three of those cars are a good foot shorter than the TLX, so what excuse does it have? Hell even a Civic does it better.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
pyrodan007 (08-30-2021), robnalex (08-30-2021), vhtran (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 08:49 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
FWIW did that vehicle selection and they're all pretty close in the back seat. SUV and minivans have higher seats so typically larger interior dimensions

that "good foot" is 6.3"-9.8", typical hater hyperbole and can't do math

https://www.edmunds.com/car-comparis...veh4=401865493

djhtsx (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 09:05 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
FWIW did that vehicle selection and they're all pretty close in the back seat. SUV and minivans have higher seats so typically larger interior dimensions

that "good foot" is 6.3"-9.8", typical hater hyperbole and can't do math

https://www.edmunds.com/car-comparis...veh4=401865493

Fine I'll update my statement to:

"Believe it or not, an A5/S5 SB works just fine, as does my V60. Also tried a Model 3, and there were no problems with that. All three of those cars are over a half foot shorter than the TLX, so what excuse does it have? Hell even a Civic does it better."

Does that make it any better?

Typical apologist; focus in on something inconsequential to defend their beloved brand.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:23 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts

"Believe it or not, an A5/S5 SB works just fine, as does my V60. Also tried a Model 3, and there were no problems with that. All three of those cars are over a half foot shorter than the TLX, so what excuse does it have? Hell even a Civic does it better."

Typical apologist; focus in on something inconsequential to defend their beloved brand.
typical hater, making exaggerations and have no clue what they're talking about. I'm only presenting information and facts to show all those vehicles are only 0.8" difference in rear legroom.

But hate on, it's all you got in life

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-30-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:30 AM

Let's keep the discussions focused on the topic at hand - further personal jabs will be deleted.
The following 3 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
bilirubin (08-30-2021), F23A4 (08-30-2021), Legend2TL (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 09:52 AM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts

i continue to not get these reactions. The car did not work for you, thats too bad, why occupy negitive space here? People “defend their beloved brand” because believe it or not it’s an acura forum, which may have an influence on peoples opinions who post here. People are here because they liked the car, are considering purchasing or have purchased it and want to intake knowledge on the subject. I had a 2014 q50 before this, i cant comprehend a reason to go back to a q50 forum and rip shit daily on what i found i eventually disliked about it. Who doesnt move on in their life like this?

The car doesnt work for you and does for other people. If a person is interested in the car, they should probably give it a try to see if it does work for them before taking the most vocally negitive responses as gospal (as i almost did before trying it out. i was prepared to eliminate it as an option simply from hearing a few vocal people say the back seat was unusable) because i and many others have found the rear seats to be much more functional then some responses would lead you to believe.
Perhaps the car is not great with rear facing car seats, if you have multiple rear facing car seats so one has to be positioned behind the driver, maybe it does not fit well, i had to sell a mazda 3 12 years ago for the same reason so i feel you. But if this is not the fairly rare position you find yourself in, then give it a try before believeing it wont work for you.
The following 3 users liked this post by sombasol:
a35tl (08-30-2021), djhtsx (08-30-2021), Legend2TL (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by sombasol
i continue to not get these reactions. The car did not work for you, thats too bad, why occupy negitive space here? People “defend their beloved brand” because believe it or not it’s an acura forum, which may have an influence on peoples opinions who post here. People are here because they liked the car, are considering purchasing or have purchased it and want to intake knowledge on the subject. I had a 2014 q50 before this, i cant comprehend a reason to go back to a q50 forum and rip shit daily on what i found i eventually disliked about it. Who doesnt move on in their life like this?

The car doesnt work for you and does for other people. If a person is interested in the car, they should probably give it a try to see if it does work for them before taking the most vocally negitive responses as gospal (as i almost did before trying it out. i was prepared to eliminate it as an option simply from hearing a few vocal people say the back seat was unusable) because i and many others have found the rear seats to be much more functional then some responses would lead you to believe.
Perhaps the car is not great with rear facing car seats, if you have multiple rear facing car seats so one has to be positioned behind the driver, maybe it does not fit well, i had to sell a mazda 3 12 years ago for the same reason so i feel you. But if this is not the fairly rare position you find yourself in, then give it a try before believeing it wont work for you.
The negatives are worth more than the positive fluff being thrown in this forum. You can only use so much of "it looks nice" comments. It's been proven multiple times you don't need a crossover to have a family. How did people get about in life before 2010? Sedans still sell very well in areas outside of NA and the Accord is the pinnacle of interior practicality. The TLX 2.0 is the text book example of how to waste space on purpose. Just look at Europe and Italy, with small towns and tiny streets the TLX would be a monumental waste of parking space.

Now cue the "TLX doesn't exist in Europe so who cares" comments ...

Last edited by pyrodan007; 08-30-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:56 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
typical hater, making exaggerations and have no clue what they're talking about. I'm only presenting information and facts to show all those vehicles are only 0.8" difference in rear legroom.

But hate on, it's all you got in life
Ah, it sounds like you've never bother to actually try fitting a car seat into the back of the 1G or 2G TLX. Otherwise, you'd know that a one-dimensional measurement like rear legroom is not always representative. So let me share some of my information and facts to show that the 0.8" difference doesn't tell the whole story.

Equipment: Cybex Aton M infant car seat, Nuna Exec convertible cars seat in the rear facing 1 position.
Car seat setup: Behind the passenger seat, LATCH connectors
Front seat setup: 15-degree seat back incline, 5-degree bottom cushion incline.
Distance from rear seatback to top of the front seat required: 30" for the Cybex, 30.5" for the Nuna.
Distance from front seatback to dashboard (using the Cybex for consistency):
1G TLX: 27"
2G TLX: 27.25"
A5 SB: 28.75"
Model 3: 29.25"
V60: 29"

Also, the official measurements for headroom is bogus. On the 1G TLX, the longest measurement I got was 35.25" against a claimed 36.7". On the 2G TLX, I got 35" against a claimed 36.3". On the A5 I got 37.5" against a claimed 37.4". On the V60 I got a whopping 40" against a claimed 38.1".

But, go ahead and tell me how my real world measurements are all wrong or that I'm making things up. I gave you the setup information; go and measure these yourself if you doubt the veracity of these real numbers.

Let's keep the discussions focused on the topic at hand - further personal jabs will be deleted.
Hopefully the above fits in with the Type S discussion at hand, since I'm just presenting real world numbers that could be helpful for any other parents looking at these cars.

Last edited by fiatlux; 08-30-2021 at 11:03 AM.
BEAR-AvHistory (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 11:11 AM
Pro

The negatives are worth more than the positive fluff being thrown in this forum. You can only use so much of "it looks nice" comments. It's been proven multiple times you don't need a crossover to have a family. How did people get about in life before 2010? Sedans still sell very well in areas outside of NA and the Accord is the pinnacle of interior practicality. The TLX 2.0 is the text book example of how to waste space on purpose. Just look at Europe and Italy, with small towns and tiny streets the TLX would be a monumental waste of parking space.

Now cue the "TLX doesn't exist in Europe so who cares" comments ...
Thats funny you bring up a nonsensical argument about how the TLX would not work in Europe, where we all know it’s not sold, then you attack in advance any one who would call you on your nonsensical argument. SMH

By the way the basis of this discussion was the misrepresentation of the TLX having far less back seat space than other cars in the segment. You dragging the Accord into the conversation is simply a distraction. This is why you guys get called haters. You cats continually crap on the TLX about things you forgive in other vehicles in the segment. One thing I forgot to note about my in person assessment of the G70 rear seat room. Exiting the rear seat proved to be a bit difficult because my feet got caught under the seat and I had to purposefully extract them. That was a first for me in exiting the back seat of any car I’ve ever been in.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Thats funny you bring up a nonsensical argument about how the TLX would not work in Europe, where we all know it’s not sold, then you attack in advance any one who would call you on your nonsensical argument. SMH

By the way the basis of this discussion was the misrepresentation of the TLX having far less back seat space than other cars in the segment. You dragging the Accord into the conversation is simply a distraction. This is why you guys get called haters. You cats continually crap on the TLX about things you forgive in other vehicles in the segment. One thing I forgot to note about my in person assessment of the G70 rear seat room. Exiting the rear seat proved to be a bit difficult because my feet got caught under the seat and I had to purposefully extract them. That was a first for me in exiting the back seat of any car I’ve ever been in.
Hook, line, and sinker

That's why Acura designed it that way for NA since there's no chance it would be a plus in Europe

Last edited by pyrodan007; 08-30-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:14 AM
Safety Car

Which segment again does the TLX play in? Exterior wise it's in the mid-size segment, so if we're talking about dimensions shouldn't we be comparing this against cars like the 5-series, A6, E-Class, G80, etc?

It's easier to forgive the A4, G70, etc. for having similar (or even slightly worse) rearseat room because those cars are squarely in the compact segment, and they give you the space efficiency you expect of a RWD compact car (or in the case of the A4, FWD compact car). The TLX is for all intents and purposes a FWD midsize car that happens to just have the interior space of a RWD compact car.

Last edited by fiatlux; 08-30-2021 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:14 AM
Pro

Hook line and sinker
Maybe you should read my first paragraph again.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Maybe you should read my first paragraph again.
Read my full response

Hook, line, and sinker

That's why Acura designed it that way for NA since there's no chance it would be a plus in Europe

Quick Reply: Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion