Acura TLX Type S: 355 HP / 354 TQ est.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
1. I have owned Toyotas, Nissans, Hondas, and Acuras and would not describe myself as brand loyal.

2. Rather, for the last 12 years leasing Acura, I would call myself Dealer loyal as much or more than brand loyal. The deals, service, and relationships I have developed with people that are still there is a big reason while I am with Acura, as well as liking the vehicle. Whether I go Hybrid Camry, TLX 2.0, Audi, Accord Hybridi, etc. for my next vehicle will depend upon those factors, as well as the vehicle.

3. For the most part, these are people who had unfortunate experiences with the 2015 V6 TLX. Many 1st gen TLX owners are quite happy with their subsequent purchases, particularly from 2018 up, for reasons that have been discussed ad nausium on the 1st Gen forum.
1. Me either. However, it sounds like we both like Japanese cars. It's gonna be hard for me to switch. But like Fiatlux says ... things are changing while I have not been buying new cars . And now that I'm a new Audi owner, I have been exposed to a whole other brand (and I like it so far). Still, I wanted the new sedan to be an Acura.

2. Same here (really like my Acura dealer) but they also own the Honda dealer down-the-street. I like to think the technicians are better trained, but I think the only real difference is the free service loaners. We have always liked supporting local businesses. If a business treats me fairly, I rarely switch to another.

3. Right. However, for the 6 years we owned the 2014-MDX (our first and only Acura so far) ... if it would have-had any major problems or be a lemon ... I really doubt I would even be considering buying another Acura.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 09-09-2020 at 02:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mapleloaf (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 03:39 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
1. I think you are on-to-something here. Never before have I joined an enthusiasts forum for a car BEFORE I bought it ... so we are talking about the purchasing decision (features, price, etc). It's quite a bit different conversation topics.

I'm sure Acura was smart to hype it up (still say the video was excellent) WITHOUT Pricing or Spec-Sheets. But, it's almost seems like the car was released months ago, but I just can't have one yet. No Soup TLX for you.

2. Agreed. Personally, I'm sick of the whole "cheaper is better and good enough" that is prevalent with all machines now-days. But with these features and prices (for not even a short range PHEV), current world health crisis (some say the end is near) ... I'm falling into that mindset it myself. It's just a car.

Enough of my whine-crying. Thanks again to all yall helping me with this important financial decision.
I'd like to personally let you know that I truly appreciate our conversations and I mean no harm or bash you in ANY way about buying the new TLX. I applaud you for being the 1st one on acurazine to put a deposit down on this vehicle. While the topic at hand has been somewhat adult like, it has crossed the line in some cases (including from myself). Part of being on such a forum allows us to have these conversations and appreciate each others opinions and real world feed backs. I'm all for your purchase (not so much with the Type-s) and I'm looking forward to your real world / long term experience.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
How often do you go to dealership? I go once a year to Audi for oil change, and as long as the work gets done and price is fair, I don't give a shit about chatting. Especially during the back and forth when buying a car. I too thought my seller would be fair at Acura (same dealer for TL and TLX) come time to go from 2015 to 2018 ... didn't budge on price.
Regular service, an ocasional warranty item, tire swap outs, new paint pen, occasional minor mod, etc. I also had my Nissan Altima serviced there, that now belongs to my daughter, etc. They also sponsor a Charity Golf Tournament I organize. They are on my way to numerous haunts of ours, so it's not an inconvenience. I usually chat with my sales manager about goings on in the car world, and the Service Customer Relations Manager who is just a nice human being with 6 kids who shares my love of CFL Football, and various other things. I enjoy talking to good people - I am retired after all. You must be a millenial?
The following 2 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
pyrodan007 (09-09-2020), Tony Pac (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 06:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Pray tell, what else do we know thus far that would make you optimistic about the performance in your view? DWB? SH-AWD? Brembos up front? Am I missing anything else that we already know?
So 4th generation SHAWD, a stiffer new chasis, longer wheel base, wider wheel base, slightly lower profile, more powerful engines, Brembos for Type S, a new 10 speed automatic with unique and sportier tuning for the Type S and a double wishbone suspension are all changes that should certainly improve the handling of an already good handling vehicle(s). Whether that "could" equal or surpass the performance of an Audi 4 or a BMW 3, as I postulated above, car weight not withstanding, remains to be seen. To be clear, i refer to performance as handling and acceleration in various conditions/situations.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:20 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
What's the "IF" condition? What if it costs a bit more but goes a little slower versus V6. Would that still be enough versus slightly better interior?
From what I can see the A-Spec and Type S will have very similar interiors. The "IF?"....I guess the overall driving experience with that 2.0T. It might surprise me and be
great. I know in the '19 RDX A-Spec I once owned, that engine/trans combo was way quicker than I expected. The TLX will weigh in less than the RDX. So, we'll see.
No, cost is not a factor.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:09 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Beware the agendas of self admitted enthusiasts who have repeatedly talked about the need for more performance. However, some of these folks seem to have written off the TLX 2.0 and the Type S before they have sat in or driven one, for decidely non performance reasons such as price, trims, lack of a full digital dash, etc. From what we know this car could perform (steering, handling, acceleration, cornering, etc) as well or better than it's direct German competitors. The point is we just dont have the information to make that assessment, unless of course you are looking for more of a video game than a driving experience.
Hmm, where do I start....
1. Agree with most of your initial sentences, but please eliminate the use of the word fanboy and stop at fan...it's petty and insulting, unless we agree to use Enthusiast whore instead of Enthusiast.
Finally, there seem to be a few folks here who's main objective is to go out of their way to bash both the existing TLX and the yet to be driven new version. For the most part, these are people who had unfortunate experiences with the 2015 V6 TLX. Many 1st gen TLX owners are quite happy with their subsequent purchases, particularly from 2018 up, for reasons that have been discussed ad nausium on the 1st Gen forum. We all know we have settled, all of you have "settled" based on likes and pocketbook. However, whether we appreciate a vehicle is ultimately subjective, so perhaps a little less arrogance and a little less zeal to convert fans to haters, therapeutic or not. "I think" vs "I know" when it comes to discussing preferences and value propositions goes a long way.

Back to the regularly scheduled program.....
Well written posts, gotta separate the self-proclaimers who categorize or pass judgement but it's the internet...

My favorite safe adjective for people that are into certain things is "passionate", of which it can be one model, one brand, lots of brands or types of cars. I see it at cars and coffees in the area or when I go to the Amelia Concours and get to met all kinds of people including having the good fortune to have lunch with Jack Telnack. We spent awhile talking quite awhile talking about our favorite car design which we had a couple (Porsche 928 by Tony Lapine and McLaren MP4/2 by John Barnard).

and yes back to the 2G TLX, so gotta throw in some content,
Ben Davidson, Chief Designer of the Acura Type S Concept

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-10-2020 at 12:14 PM.
mapleloaf (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
and yes back to the 2G TLX, so gotta throw in some content,
Ben Davidson, Chief Designer of the Acura Type S Concept
And also Lead Exterior Designer of the G2 TLX production model.
Yeah, Ben did good work.
Hopefully he gets his choice of a free TLX Advance or Type-S as a Christmas bonus.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:08 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Gotta love it. You disapprove of one vehicle, and suddenly you can't be an enthusiast. The short-sightedness of the self-proclaimed "auto enthusiast" is staggering. "The car isn't even out yet!" Yes, and your only asinine arguments for it are speculatory and that it may be a good all around driver. It may handle sharply, yet, still only on par or slightly worse than its competition. It may be under-rated from the factory, even though its competition does the same. The handful of us who are highly critical are looking at the hard figures and surmising figures and formulating opinions on that, rather than some nonsensical emotional connection to a brand. Ironic. I'm strongly considering cars from numerous Japanese automakers, BMW and Genesis as my next car ... but the ones slurping on Honda's phallus are the ones pointing and decrying anyone who denounces anything Honda/Acura unveils. How dare they point out the fact that this new vehicle is unequivocally mediocre!

The power output, the features, the weight (unless they were erroneous, since they pulled those figures - unless it was due to backlash) and price ... all disappointments. It's egregious how staunch certain people are at defending this thing when its given absolutely no justification for a defense. If they release it and the thing rips a mid-high 12s quarter @ 11x MPH (Audi S4 does it in 12.9s @ 109MPH [C&D*]), I'll gladly put my foot in my own ass and pony up the dough to pick one up. Looking at actual numbers and comparing it to what Acura has been able to do with the 1G TLX and 3G RDX, this will be a far-fetched dream for the TLX-S. When the thing isn't a performer, I wonder what apologetic excuses these weebs will be coming up with for it.

The TLX-S is still a consideration, but it's dropped to near the bottom of my list.
04WDPSeDaN (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 05:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
When the thing isn't a performer, I wonder what apologetic excuses these weebs will be coming up with for it.
#4-7 from my excuse generator
cheaper than the Germans
more reliable than the Germans
355 is more than enough power, nobody needs 400
SHAWD is a gamechanger
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
04WDPSeDaN (09-10-2020), leomio85 (09-11-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 06:13 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
And also Lead Exterior Designer of the G2 TLX production model.
Yeah, Ben did good work.
Hopefully he gets his choice of a free TLX Advance or Type-S as a Christmas bonus.

Yeah, hopefully that's a nice bonus for a good design.
Wonder if Michelle Christensen got a 2G NSX or Jon Ikeda got a 3G TL?
Gordon Murray couldn't afford a McLaren F1 but convinced his friend George Harrison to buy one.

Murray did own a NA1 1G NSX which has praised in editorials and said was partly the inspiration of the F1,
He wrote two paragraphs just describing the front suspension compliance pivot in design and operation.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...R-R83o/preview

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-10-2020 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
One thing to consider on any enthusiast platform, true enthusiasts aren't brand loyal. They join a specific platform because of the vehicle they own / had owned. When it comes times for a replacement (for whatever reason) most end up picking another brand, nothing wrong with that. A majority of true enthusiasts are knowledgeable about many different types of vehicles, parts ect. It's like meeting up at a car meet and talking to car guys that know their shit and aren't bias or just a fanboy of one specific brand. That usually ends up with in an argument or an awkward situation. Reminds me of the civic guys that owned anything from the 90's that swore that their civics can out perform in every category when against any vehicle in the world. Yeah, those types of delusional fan boys, which unfortunately are on this site as well. I value an enthusiast over a fanboy. Everyone signed up to Acurazine because of one thing, they had an Acura. A majority here no longer have Acuras but stay because this forum is one of the best around and is active with same minded users. It's part of being in a car community. In short, we can all agree to disagree but one thing is for sure, the market has changed and consumers aren't thinking the same way they were 10-15 years ago. The market has drastically changed and consumers are buying with a different mentality. As prices have gone through the roof for vehicles, most are buying for the best bang for buck. Less money, more options, great on gas, economical, looks great ect. This is why the Accord, the Optima or sonata, camry ect have done well. By the way, I know it's been discussed in here but the 2022 G70 details were released and the vehicle looks great.

the new Genesis grill looks fine on the G80 and G90, but the G7” Sport with that new grill just does not look sporty. I was real close to getting a G70 Sport last week as they put an amazing deal on the table, but I wanted to buy and the Havana Red Sport had over 2100 miles on it. These damn Genesis sales managers always grab the best car and it is rare. Had same issue 2 years ago wanted a G80 Sport AWD and only one within 500 miles was sales a manger car with over 2500 miles on it.