Acura TLX Type S: 355 HP / 354 TQ est.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 04:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Didn't read through the whole thread but they are sandbagging the numbers. why would they estimate 355, 354 if they know exactly what it makes because they Designed it the last 3+ years in the making! they are Trolling. When it comes out itll have E Turbo Technology or Mild Hybrid(think baby nsx). It'lll Have 400tq for sure and about 386hp.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by types1987
didn't read through the whole thread but they are sandbagging the numbers. Why would they estimate 355, 354 if they know exactly what it makes because they designed it the last 3+ years in the making! They are trolling. When it comes out itll have e turbo technology or mild hybrid(think baby nsx). It'lll have 400tq for sure and about 386hp.
lol
Old 09-02-2020, 04:47 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by TypeS1987
Didn't read through the whole thread but they are sandbagging the numbers. why would they estimate 355, 354 if they know exactly what it makes because they Designed it the last 3+ years in the making! they are Trolling. When it comes out itll have E Turbo Technology or Mild Hybrid(think baby nsx). It'lll Have 400tq for sure and about 386hp.
They may give you that much HP out of a full electric powertrain around 2030.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:10 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Yes, with our feelings
The following users liked this post:
Speed Guy (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 05:32 PM
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
Did you forget to end the post "/s"?

Who, exactly, is trolling?! They might be sandbagging, but not that much. Do Acura buyers REALLY care that much about HP numbers? I don't think they want to compete with the S4 or the 340i. The real targets are non-Germans and base level Germans (A4, A6, 330xi, etc.). It's a way for those who WANT the 340i but can't afford it to feel like they have a sport-sedan. I might consider one.
Shadow2056 (09-08-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 06:14 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed Guy
Did you forget to end the post "/s"?

Who, exactly, is trolling?! They might be sandbagging, but not that much. Do Acura buyers REALLY care that much about HP numbers? I don't think they want to compete with the S4 or the 340i. The real targets are non-Germans and base level Germans (A4, A6, 330xi, etc.). It's a way for those who WANT the 340i but can't afford it to feel like they have a sport-sedan. I might consider one.
Yeah, everything we seen so far with the Type-S shouts "tweener". It's an interesting niche to target and we shall see if this plays out in Acura's favor.
BEAR-AvHistory (09-05-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 12:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
I had posted a while back brand new GT2 Stingers selling for 40K which is insane for the amount of vehicle you get for that money. If you can get past the badge, it's money well spent IMO.

Here's a 2020 GT2 Stinger for $42,981 in Federation Orange

Here's a 2020 GT2 Stinger for $44,999 in Hichroma Red (Beautiful color)

It has everything you need and then some. Even rear heated seats, which our Optima had and our X3 M40i has, it's a great feature for passengers on a cold day. I'd have my passengers say "wow, rear heated seats! that's awesome!" . On a hot summer day, the cooled front seats make a difference. I couldn't get another vehicle without this option and we got lucky the X3 M40i we bought had this option. Even the heads up display, is such a bad ass option and the stinger has it. It's really worth getting the GT2, if you can find it new in the low 40's and slightly used even in the mid 30's. Think about it this way, Doug Demuro sold his Mercedes AMG E63 wagon and bought a GT Stinger. This is a guy who has reviewed COUNTLESS vehicles from A to Z and still bought a KIA.

EDIT: He makes a valid point, the same point I've been making. For 40K, you should get a vehicle that has everything you want. It's the same reason I looked at the stinger with the rest of my list as mentioned above. To be clear, I don't want a new vehicle, I prefer buying slightly used. 45K was my budget and we bought the 2019 X3 M40i about 47K out the door.
Should be fine as long as it doesn't catch-on-fire.

Don't kill the messengers (second story).

Old 09-08-2020, 02:33 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Scotty Kilmer is a hack. The only reason he's gotten so popular is because he caters to the lowest common denominator and spews nonsense that mouth breathers want to hear. Japanese good, American and German bad. Mechanics are crooks. Dealerships, might as well call 'em stealerships! Haw haw!! He unabashedly slams BMW and talks about how only unintelligent people or people who like to throw money into the toilet buy BMWs. Then goes and buys a MKV Toyota Supra with the money he's made off YouTube. WHAT?!

My guess is that GM is looking more to benefit from the tech and engineering of Honda via funding. I would expect Honda to do most of the engineering and development, while using GM capital to back their R&D. GM gets hybrids that aren't completely terrible, and Honda is able to do things they wouldn't be with their own budget. I mean, just look at what happens when Honda uses their own budget to create a new product. Something completely mediocre and outdated before it even comes out. *cough*TLX Type-S*cough*

Last edited by leomio85; 09-08-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Maybe this means Honda will finally have a real truck in their lineup
Old 09-08-2020, 02:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leomio85
Scotty Kilmer is a hack.
Well, he's just reporting the news. You might not like his added opinions and commentary, but both the Kia/Hyundai ABS-fires and the Honda/GM partnership are really happening.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...o-fire-recall/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...edona-sorento/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKBN25U1UN

I think he's funny. It's like automotive comedy. I don't Subscribe, but YouTube keeps suggesting I watch him.
I suspect it's been many years since he's done any serious work on cars, but even semi-retired technicians and mechanics tend to know a bit about cars and machines.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 09-08-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Well, he's just reporting the news. You might not like his added opinions and commentary, but both the Kia/Hyundai ABS-fires and the Honda/GM partnership are really happening.
I never contested the info he was reporting on. There are better places to get your automotive news than this hoarse, screaming shill ... including on YouTube.
The following 2 users liked this post by leomio85:
04WDPSeDaN (09-08-2020), BEAR-AvHistory (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 03:08 PM
Safety Car

Rev up your enginessssssss
Old 09-08-2020, 03:17 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Should be fine as long as it doesn't catch-on-fire.

Don't kill the messengers (second story).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGVgEr30oJA
Hyundai and Kia will recall more than 591,000 sedans and crossovers for a faulty anti-lock braking system that can cause an electrical short, which may lead to a fire, the automakers reported to federal safety officials last month.

Hyundai announced it will recall 151,205 2013-2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport crossovers and Kia announced it will recall 283,803 2013-2015 Kia Optima sedans and 156,567 2013-2015 Kia Sorento crossovers. The affected vehicles were made between June 2013 and May 2015 at Kia's manufacturing plant in Georgia.

At issue is a hydraulic valve within the cars' anti-lock braking systems (ABS) that can leak brake fluid and cause an electrical short within the system, which increases the risk of a fire within the engine compartment. Kia and Hyundai said they are aware of 23 engine fires that are related to the issue but did not report any injuries.

Both automakers said defective systems can warn drivers with illuminated ABS lights, check engine lights, odors of burning or melted plastics, or smoke from the engine compartment.

Kia and Hyundai said they will notify affected owners to bring their cars into dealerships beginning in October. There, dealers will inspect the vehicles and replace defective ABS modules for free. To see if your vehicle is affected, go to the NHTSA's recall website or call Hyundai's customer service at 855-371-9460 or Kia's customer service line at 800-333-4542. NOT the stingers.

As for Scotty, he's completely bias and full of bs. He said his supra has one supercharger and the Z4 has two superchargers (B58 uses a single twin scroll turbocharger). He bashes BMW, yet drives one.. I personally don't have any desire for his stuff. savagegeese and thestraightpipes are the only ones I prefer to get an honest review.

EDIT:

IMO, the GT2 Stinger is still a better bargain for the cost, performance and options. The refreshed version is well done.

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 09-08-2020 at 03:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
leomio85 (09-08-2020), nist7 (09-09-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 08:27 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Too early to KNOW

If Acura were to read these threads, I think it will teach them to never release info on a car this early.

Sounds like most Acura enthusiasts that were originally interested in the Type-S have already talked-themselves out of it ... before it even hits the showroom floor.
I've owned many Acuras and have grown to like them and appreciate what they are for the money. I had a TLX A-Spec, white/red, Sh-Awd and I actually miss it. That V6
was pretty quick and the AWD really made it move around corners with ease at higher speeds. I pushed that car fairly hard on a highway to see how quick it was and how
it felt at 100 mph. Solid! If a person gripes about HP...buy a Hemi. Buy the car that gives you the most HP out there. But, pure driving experience is more than HP. Yes, I
like power. I've had strong V-8's, and currently have a '19 Mustang GT with select mods. Still NA, but, I'm right at 500 HP., and almost 450 lb ft of torque. It IS quick. But,
the overall comfort and driving experience is also found in that TLX I owned. HP is not always the answer. NO, I would not prefer less than the 290 HP my TLX had. But,
I am willing to bet, that for a true car purist that appreciates many aspects of the driving experience, I think we'll all find that the new Type S will be very quick and the overall
driving experience very satisfying. I will be looking at the '21 A-Spec which will arrive at my dealer at the end of this month, and my name is on it IF I want it. I mainly want to
just be able to see what the TLX is like. IF I really like what I see, then I just may opt for the Type S when it arrives. And my name will be on one of those first ones.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I will be looking at the '21 A-Spec which will arrive at my dealer at the end of this month, and my name is on it IF I want it. I mainly want to
just be able to see what the TLX is like. IF I really like what I see, then I just may opt for the Type S when it arrives. And my name will be on one of those first ones.
What's the "IF" condition? What if it costs a bit more but goes a little slower versus V6. Would that still be enough versus slightly better interior?
Old 09-08-2020, 11:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I've owned many Acuras and have grown to like them and appreciate what they are for the money. I had a TLX A-Spec, white/red, Sh-Awd and I actually miss it. That V6
was pretty quick and the AWD really made it move around corners with ease at higher speeds. I pushed that car fairly hard on a highway to see how quick it was and how
it felt at 100 mph. Solid! If a person gripes about HP...buy a Hemi. Buy the car that gives you the most HP out there. But, pure driving experience is more than HP. Yes, I
like power. I've had strong V-8's, and currently have a '19 Mustang GT with select mods. Still NA, but, I'm right at 500 HP., and almost 450 lb ft of torque. It IS quick. But,
the overall comfort and driving experience is also found in that TLX I owned. HP is not always the answer. NO, I would not prefer less than the 290 HP my TLX had. But,
I am willing to bet, that for a true car purist that appreciates many aspects of the driving experience, I think we'll all find that the new Type S will be very quick and the overall
driving experience very satisfying. I will be looking at the '21 A-Spec which will arrive at my dealer at the end of this month, and my name is on it IF I want it. I mainly want to
Good to finally hear from someone that is also excited enough about this car to actually reserve one (by my count, that makes 3 of us here).
Mine is a 2021 TLX 2.0T Tech SH-AWD White/Ebony ( reserved about 5 weeks ago).

Since we just bought the Audi-Q5e, I only get to buy one more car. I was planning to Finance it and keep it 6-8 years. Something dependable (like our old Acura MDX) luxurious, maybe kinda sporty, and more recent Tech is my main objective (the Accord-V6 doesn't even have Bluetooth). I can't mess-up this purchase.

Right, the Tech/SH-AWD if I like it. Or special-order an Advance with Parchment and Folding Mirrors instead (but it's up to $49k). So much for my plan to buy "something a little better and slightly more expensive than an Accord 2.0T". Or just wait for Type-S (but it's missing stuff like Folding-Mirrors and HUD). Or wait and get a 2022 TLX model. Or since we are up to $54k, why not just go get a 2020/2021 Audi A4 45-Quattro Prestige or S4 (they have plenty) .

It would have been easier to just buy the G1 2020 TLX back in May and be done with it. I would have but they didn't have a White/Parchment V6 Tech (and hemmed-and-hawed about getting one) at full-price MSRP of course. Hurry-up and wait, just like the 2014-MDX purchase in 2013.
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#post16625460

And I have to get-rid of my beloved white Accord-V6 (plenty fast so apparently 240hp is plenty for me) because I like to garage my cars. Driving it around today in the rain. A sure-footed, solid, paid-for, well-maintained, good-running/fast car with only 80k miles on it . Didn't have to worry about it getting dinged in the parking lot. Now, why I am I getting rid of it again? Or, yeah ... it is old and we need new things.

I was so excited about this car back then. I was impressed with Jon and his (not actors) team. I thought I was lucky to find a forum with a dedicated G2 TLX section. All these guys have nice cars, know Premium cars, and we can talk about how cool the new TLX models are going to be. Sure not turning out like I envisioned.

Sorry this was so long. Maybe read it in two sittings?

Last edited by Tesla1856; 09-08-2020 at 11:09 PM.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (09-09-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 11:26 PM
Safety Car

I was so excited about this car back then. I was impressed with Jon and his (not actors) team. I thought I was lucky to find a forum with a dedicated G2 TLX section. All these guys have nice cars, know Premium cars, and we can talk about how cool the new TLX models are going to be. Sure not turning out like I envisioned.
Unfortunately, you're about 10 years too late. Back in the mid-2000s, Acura was riding high with some really good cars. Unfortunately, since then the Germans have taken a huge leap forward in terms of performance and tech, and Acura just hasn't .
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
BEAR-AvHistory (09-09-2020), pyrodan007 (09-09-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 11:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Beware the agendas of self admitted enthusiasts who have repeatedly talked about the need for more performance. However, some of these folks seem to have written off the TLX 2.0 and the Type S before they have sat in or driven one, for decidely non performance reasons such as price, trims, lack of a full digital dash, etc. From what we know this car could perform (steering, handling, acceleration, cornering, etc) as well or better than it's direct German competitors. The point is we just dont have the information to make that assessment, unless of course you are looking for more of a video game than a driving experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
Legend2TL (09-09-2020), Tony Pac (09-09-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 11:49 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
From what we know this car could perform (steering, handling, acceleration, cornering, etc) as well or better than it's direct German competitors.
I think you mean to say "for what we know", because "from what we know" (which is the power and weight) it's sounding like it will underperform its direct German competitors.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Unfortunately, you're about 10 years too late. Back in the mid-2000s, Acura was riding high with some really good cars. Unfortunately, since then the Germans have taken a huge leap forward in terms of performance and tech, and Acura just hasn't .
German auto sales in the US have exploded in the US since 2000. Acura has been basically stagnant, with some highs and lows, but not a huge change overall in the past 20yrs. Acura once did over double the sales of Audi. Now, Audi in the past 5yrs has matched or beaten Acura’s all time US sales peak. The kicker is that they’re still the lowest selling German brand by a substantial margin. Lexus too has grown vastly in the 20yrs. BMW and Mercedes have even surpasses Lexus tho in sales.

I always figured Toyota, and namely Lexus, was the company who rested on their laurels, and had blindly loyal people who would buy a Toyota/Lexus no matter what kind of crap they put out. Maybe I’m wrong about that which brand takes the cake in that regards. Love the whole “well rounded” argument too. What an absolute joke. As if the Germans haven’t gotten that down to a T and are what the Japanese have literally been chasing.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts
I think you mean to say "for what we know", because "from what we know" (which is the power and weight) it's sounding like it will underperform its direct German competitors.
Performance is not all about acceleration. Weight might be an enemy to handling, but TLX appears to put all its weight down low so the impact should not be so bad.

On the other hand, I still have a hard time understanding why TLX and RDX can be in the same ballpark in weight. TLX has more aluminum parts, no heavy panoramic roof, smaller size, and similar equipments/powertrain. IMHO it should be 100-200lbs lighter than the pre-annoucned weight, but what do I know...
Midnight Mystery (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 05:57 AM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyfever
Performance is not all about acceleration. Weight might be an enemy to handling, but TLX appears to put all its weight down low so the impact should not be so bad.

On the other hand, I still have a hard time understanding why TLX and RDX can be in the same ballpark in weight. TLX has more aluminum parts, no heavy panoramic roof, smaller size, and similar equipments/powertrain. IMHO it should be 100-200lbs lighter than the pre-annoucned weight, but what do I know...
I think they're going to revise that spec sheet. FWIW, they took down the original spec sheet and replaced it with a new one that says "TBD" for the weights. Also, there's no way the new TLX has 6" less front leg room than a Honda Fit.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:31 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Good to finally hear from someone that is also excited enough about this car to actually reserve one (by my count, that makes 3 of us here).

Since we just bought the Audi-Q5e, I only get to buy one more car. I was planning to Finance it and keep it 6-8 years. Something dependable (like our old Acura MDX) luxurious, maybe kinda sporty, and more recent Tech is my main objective (the Accord-V6 doesn't even have Bluetooth). I can't mess-up this purchase.

Right, the Tech/SH-AWD if I like it. Or special-order an Advance with Parchment and Folding Mirrors instead (but it's up to $49k). So much for my plan to buy "something a little better and slightly more expensive than an Accord 2.0T". Or just wait for Type-S (but it's missing stuff like Folding-Mirrors and HUD). Or wait and get a 2022 TLX model. Or since we are up to $54k, why not just go get a 2020/2021 Audi A4 45-Quattro Prestige or S4 (they have plenty) .

It would have been easier to just buy the G1 2020 TLX back in May and be done with it. I would have but they didn't have a White/Parchment V6 Tech (and hemmed-and-hawed about getting one) at full-price MSRP of course. Hurry-up and wait, just like the 2014-MDX purchase in 2013.
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#post16625460

And I have to get-rid of my beloved white Accord-V6 (plenty fast so apparently 240hp is plenty for me) because I like to garage my cars. Driving it around today in the rain. A sure-footed, solid, paid-for, well-maintained, good-running/fast car with only 80k miles on it . Didn't have to worry about it getting dinged in the parking lot. Now, why I am I getting rid of it again? Or, yeah ... it is old and we need new things.

Sorry this was so long. Maybe read it in two sittings?
One thing to consider on any enthusiast platform, true enthusiasts aren't brand loyal. They join a specific platform because of the vehicle they own / had owned. When it comes times for a replacement (for whatever reason) most end up picking another brand, nothing wrong with that. A majority of true enthusiasts are knowledgeable about many different types of vehicles, parts ect. It's like meeting up at a car meet and talking to car guys that know their shit and aren't bias or just a fanboy of one specific brand. That usually ends up with in an argument or an awkward situation. Reminds me of the civic guys that owned anything from the 90's that swore that their civics can out perform in every category when against any vehicle in the world. Yeah, those types of delusional fan boys, which unfortunately are on this site as well. I value an enthusiast over a fanboy. Everyone signed up to Acurazine because of one thing, they had an Acura. A majority here no longer have Acuras but stay because this forum is one of the best around and is active with same minded users. It's part of being in a car community. In short, we can all agree to disagree but one thing is for sure, the market has changed and consumers aren't thinking the same way they were 10-15 years ago. The market has drastically changed and consumers are buying with a different mentality. As prices have gone through the roof for vehicles, most are buying for the best bang for buck. Less money, more options, great on gas, economical, looks great ect. This is why the Accord, the Optima or sonata, camry ect have done well. By the way, I know it's been discussed in here but the 2022 G70 details were released and the vehicle looks great.

ESHBG (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 07:44 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
German auto sales in the US have exploded in the US since 2000. Acura has been basically stagnant, with some highs and lows, but not a huge change overall in the past 20yrs. Acura once did over double the sales of Audi. Now, Audi in the past 5yrs has matched or beaten Acura’s all time US sales peak. The kicker is that they’re still the lowest selling German brand by a substantial margin. Lexus too has grown vastly in the 20yrs. BMW and Mercedes have even surpasses Lexus tho in sales.

I always figured Toyota, and namely Lexus, was the company who rested on their laurels, and had blindly loyal people who would buy a Toyota/Lexus no matter what kind of crap they put out. Maybe I’m wrong about that which brand takes the cake in that regards. Love the whole “well rounded” argument too. What an absolute joke. As if the Germans haven’t gotten that down to a T and are what the Japanese have literally been chasing.

Important distinction in 2005 Acura vs Audi in the past few years in US annual sales.

in 2005 Acura peak US sales was doing it with five basic models (two of which were old by then NSX and RSX and would be discontinued within a year) RL, TL, MDX, NSX, RSX
Audi is doing recent sales with eleven basic models, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, Q3, Q5, Q7, R8, TT

Also Audi learned a very important lesson from the 2000's, if you make nice cars but are reliability junk within a few years they won't get far.
That was their approach through the 70's, 80's, 90's, and 00's.
2010's Audi finally heavily revised their overall quality/engineering/operations policies and procedures.
Finally starting making nice cars that didn't fail frequently or be worthless in 100k miles.
Proof of that was when CR gave them a CR recommended.

Question now is where will Acura be a in a few years? ....with some of the recent successes (3G RDX in sales and 2G NSX in tech) and perhaps now the TLX, Acura is looking better... time will tell

Last edited by Legend2TL; 09-09-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Would not read much into that. The BMW Z4 which generally sells less than 300 a month, starts with a base price of $50,000 all ready has quite a few more build orders than that at the BMW site. Personally not feeling all that much pent-up TLX demand where the guys will put the money where their keyboard is.

Guess I just got used to the pre-release ($1,000 minimum deposit)feeding frenzy at the C8 site where they had near 30,000 pre-orders. Basically the first years production run was sold out before a car ever left the production line.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 09-09-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:11 AM
Advanced

If the car performs well in the rag's tests, it'll sell. But it has to at least keep pace with the Germans, or come close with a lower price.

If not, expect possible buyers to turn to new Genesis models or buy CPO.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Perhaps within your somewhat narrow definition of performance, but my wording was deliberate.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:20 AM
Safety Car

Perhaps within your somewhat narrow definition of performance, but my wording was deliberate.
Pray tell, what else do we know thus far that would make you optimistic about the performance in your view? DWB? SH-AWD? Brembos up front? Am I missing anything else that we already know?
Old 09-09-2020, 11:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

One thing to consider on any enthusiast platform, true enthusiasts aren't brand loyal. They join a specific platform because of the vehicle they own / had owned. When it comes times for a replacement (for whatever reason) most end up picking another brand, nothing wrong with that. A majority of true enthusiasts are knowledgeable about many different types of vehicles, parts ect. It's like meeting up at a car meet and talking to car guys that know their shit and aren't bias or just a fanboy of one specific brand. That usually ends up with in an argument or an awkward situation. Reminds me of the civic guys that owned anything from the 90's that swore that their civics can out perform in every category when against any vehicle in the world. Yeah, those types of delusional fan boys, which unfortunately are on this site as well. I value an enthusiast over a fanboy. Everyone signed up to Acurazine because of one thing, they had an Acura. A majority here no longer have Acuras but stay because this forum is one of the best around and is active with same minded users. It's part of being in a car community. In short, we can all agree to disagree but one thing is for sure, the market has changed and consumers aren't thinking the same way they were 10-15 years ago. The market has drastically changed and consumers are buying with a different mentality. As prices have gone through the roof for vehicles, most are buying for the best bang for buck. Less money, more options, great on gas, economical, looks great ect. This is why the Accord, the Optima or sonata, camry ect have done well.
Hmm, where do I start....
1. Agree with most of your initial sentences, but please eliminate the use of the word fanboy and stop at fan...it's petty and insulting, unless we agree to use Enthusiast whore instead of Enthusiast.
2. I have seen very few "fans" on this site, in the manner that you describe Civic lovers in the 90's. Those of us who enjoy their Acuras are well aware of their limitations in comparison to other generally more expensive competitors.
3. I couldn't agree more regarding the buying patterns of consumers these days. Your statements can aptly describe the approach that many consumers take for all major purchases, however, moreso for Millenials and Gen Zs.
4. There is another group of us, albeit small, that are missing from your commentary. I have owned Toyotas, Nissans, Hondas, and Acuras and would not describe myself as brand loyal. Rather, for the last 12 years leasing Acura, I would call myself Dealer loyal as much or more than brand loyal. The deals, service, and relationships I have developed with people that are still there is a big reason while I am with Acura, as well as liking the vehicle. Whether I go Hybrid Camry, TLX 2.0, Audi, Accord Hybridi, etc. for my next vehicle will depend upon those factors, as well as the vehicle.

Finally, there seem to be a few folks here who's main objective is to go out of their way to bash both the existing TLX and the yet to be driven new version. For the most part, these are people who had unfortunate experiences with the 2015 V6 TLX. Many 1st gen TLX owners are quite happy with their subsequent purchases, particularly from 2018 up, for reasons that have been discussed ad nausium on the 1st Gen forum. We all know we have settled, all of you have "settled" based on likes and pocketbook. However, whether we appreciate a vehicle is ultimately subjective, so perhaps a little less arrogance and a little less zeal to convert fans to haters, therapeutic or not. "I think" vs "I know" when it comes to discussing preferences and value propositions goes a long way.

Back to the regularly scheduled program.....
The following 4 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
a35tl (09-09-2020), Legend2TL (09-10-2020), steve_97060 (09-09-2020), Tony Pac (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 11:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
The deals, service, and relationships I have developed with people that are still there is a big reason while I am with Acura, as well as liking the vehicle. Whether I go Hybrid Camry, TLX 2.0, Audi, Accord Hybridi, etc. for my next vehicle will depend upon those factors, as well as the vehicle.
How often do you go to dealership? I go once a year to Audi for oil change, and as long as the work gets done and price is fair, I don't give a shit about chatting. Especially during the back and forth when buying a car. I too thought my seller would be fair at Acura (same dealer for TL and TLX) come time to go from 2015 to 2018 ... didn't budge on price.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 09-09-2020 at 11:25 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
04WDPSeDaN (09-09-2020), leomio85 (09-09-2020), Tesla1856 (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 11:35 AM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
By the way, I know it's been discussed in here but the 2022 G70 details were released and the vehicle looks great.

This looks great! Dare I say it looks even better than the G80? I don't know if anyone else can see it, but I can see some of the Stinger on the front fascia.

Last edited by ZipSpeed; 09-09-2020 at 11:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZipSpeed:
04WDPSeDaN (09-09-2020), ESHBG (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 11:53 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
G70 sure looks great but I bet just like with the 2nd Gen TLX there will be a hefty price increase on this new Generation as well. Their new SUV's have gone in price. Let's see how this one plays out for Genesis. Definitely a great option for potential future TLX buyers....
Old 09-09-2020, 11:58 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dmski
G70 sure looks great but I bet just like with the 2nd Gen TLX there will be a hefty price increase on this new Generation as well. Their new SUV's have gone in price. Let's see how this one plays out for Genesis. Definitely a great option for potential future TLX buyers....
I think that many sales will go to Genesis. ASP on 3.3t are as low as $40K. No way the Type-S gets that kind of discount.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:20 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
This looks great! Dare I say it looks even better than the G80? I don't know if anyone else can see it, but I can see some of the Stinger on the front fascia.
I think it looks incredible! I've been waiting for official GV70 photos. Yes, I agree, it has a bit of Stinger design to it.
ZipSpeed (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 01:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts
Pray tell, what else do we know thus far that would make you optimistic about the performance in your view? DWB? SH-AWD? Brembos up front? Am I missing anything else that we already know?
I forgot if you drive a 3G RDX or not. If you do, you should know the car has all the right ingredients for an entry-level sports sedan. Adding the better front suspension, more refined EPS, lower CG/weight, and super stiff chassis, TLX should do just fine for what it is. Want more power? Pay more and get Type-S for not much more than a reasonably loaded 330i. Sounda fair to me? Of course, buyers can always buy the oh-so-great stinger and genesis that so many here seem really fond of. Everything is good enough these days, just depends on your budget and your priority.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:42 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sonyfever
I forgot if you drive a 3G RDX or not. If you do, you should know the car has all the right ingredients for an entry-level sports sedan. Adding the better front suspension, more refined EPS, lower CG/weight, and super stiff chassis, TLX should do just fine for what it is. Want more power? Pay more and get Type-S for not much more than a reasonably loaded 330i. Sounda fair to me? Of course, buyers can always buy the oh-so-great stinger and genesis that so many here seem really fond of. Everything is good enough these days, just depends on your budget and your priority.
This is the Type-S thread...why bring up the 2.0T? I've already mentioned that the 2.0T will probably perform similarly to the RDX but with a lower center of gravity for better handling. Heck, they weigh almost the same so I'd expect acceleration to be nearly identical. However, based on what we know already for the Type-S (which admittedly is limited thanks to Acura's secrecy), it's not looking nearly as rosy.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:09 PM
Advanced

This is the Type-S thread...why bring up the 2.0T? I've already mentioned that the 2.0T will probably perform similarly to the RDX but with a lower center of gravity for better handling. Heck, they weigh almost the same so I'd expect acceleration to be nearly identical. However, based on what we know already for the Type-S (which admittedly is limited thanks to Acura's secrecy), it's not looking nearly as rosy.
Is it just as equally possible that they sandbagged the numbers, tuned it aggressively, and will have a car that actually performs like the S4? Acura itself said that the S4 was the benchmark - and that pricing has to be close. "The Audi S4 is a key performance benchmark for the Type S model," Rivers explained while also noting that the TLX will sit comfortably below RS, M, and AMG cars in terms of performance and price. https://carbuzz.com/news/acuras-new-...e-audi-worried

Those were the benchmarks, why would you build something against that benchmark, price it similarly, but underperform? That doesn't make any sense. But, maybe they just totally screwed up?
Old 09-09-2020, 02:17 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Speed Guy
Is it just as equally possible that they sandbagged the numbers, tuned it aggressively, and will have a car that actually performs like the S4? Acura itself said that the S4 was the benchmark - and that pricing has to be close. "The Audi S4 is a key performance benchmark for the Type S model," Rivers explained while also noting that the TLX will sit comfortably below RS, M, and AMG cars in terms of performance and price. https://carbuzz.com/news/acuras-new-...e-audi-worried

Those were the benchmarks, why would you build something against that benchmark, price it similarly, but underperform? That doesn't make any sense. But, maybe they just totally screwed up?
I think it will be faster than the S4 on a track, and it’ll probably be more engaging and fun to drive, but then again the S4 is the least performance oriented of the three Germans. It’s a nominally upgraded A4 with a bigger motor. That said, I’m not convinced the Type-S will be faster than it in a straight line given how much it’s expected to weigh. So at the end of the day, Acura can lay claim to it outperforming the S4 where “real drivers” drive, but I suspect it may not be able to claim victory as easily as a street-going car.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

1. One thing to consider on any enthusiast platform, true enthusiasts aren't brand loyal. They join a specific platform because of the vehicle they own / had owned. When it comes times for a replacement (for whatever reason) most end up picking another brand, nothing wrong with that. A majority of true enthusiasts are knowledgeable about many different types of vehicles, parts ect.

Everyone signed up to Acurazine because of one thing, they had an Acura. A majority here no longer have Acuras but stay because this forum is one of the best around and is active with same minded users. It's part of being in a car community.

2. but one thing is for sure, the market has changed and consumers aren't thinking the same way they were 10-15 years ago. The market has drastically changed and consumers are buying with a different mentality. As prices have gone through the roof for vehicles, most are buying for the best bang for buck.
1. I think you are on-to-something here. Never before have I joined an enthusiasts forum for a car BEFORE I bought it ... so we are talking about the purchasing decision (features, price, etc). It's quite a bit different conversation topics.

I'm sure Acura was smart to hype it up (still say the video was excellent) WITHOUT Pricing or Spec-Sheets. But, it's almost seems like the car was released months ago, but I just can't have one yet. No Soup TLX for you.

2. Agreed. Personally, I'm sick of the whole "cheaper is better and good enough" that is prevalent with all machines now-days. But with these features and prices (for not even a short range PHEV), current world health crisis (some say the end is near) ... I'm falling into that mindset it myself. It's just a car.

Enough of my whine-crying. Thanks again to all yall helping me with this important financial decision.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 09-09-2020 at 02:33 PM.
04WDPSeDaN (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 02:44 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
Beware the agendas of self admitted enthusiasts who have repeatedly talked about the need for more performance. However, some of these folks seem to have written off the TLX 2.0 and the Type S before they have sat in or driven one, for decidely non performance reasons such as price, trims, lack of a full digital dash, etc. From what we know this car could perform (steering, handling, acceleration, cornering, etc) as well or better than it's direct German competitors. The point is we just dont have the information to make that assessment, unless of course you are looking for more of a video game than a driving experience.

NAILED IT!!!

That's why it's very important to go a step further when you are looking for others people's opinion, review and feedback. It's a very simple few steps but those who aren't familiar with forums and internet may get the wrong information and make a decision.

The rule is whenever you are asking for feedback in a forum like AcuraZine. Just go and read the other posts of that member. We have at least 4-5 members that are here just to point the negatives and nothing else. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we have to respect that. But just posting non stop saying Acura sux, it's a different story. And when you point at them, their argument is "They want Acura to do better" hahah!

The good news is that people are smart now, and they don't rely on your and my opinion to buy a car at $40-$50K. People do a lot more research than AcuraZine or watch Alex on Auto review
The following 3 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
a35tl (09-09-2020), mapleloaf (09-11-2020), steve_97060 (09-09-2020)

Quick Reply: Acura TLX Type S: 355 HP / 354 TQ est.