2021 Acura TLX Test Drive Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 12:42 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Think idle stop is a major point when talking about lag from a standing start. Engine is dead & turbo is free wheeling if it has not in fact spun all the way down depending on how long the light was red. On the road for a pass its pure lag if there is a pause before you get boost.
One thing I noticed in the RDX is that if the algorithm has sent the command to idle the engine and at the same time you hit the peddle to go you’re going to get a couple of seconds hesitation before the engine responds to the throttle command.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:46 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Think idle stop is a major point when talking about lag from a standing start. Engine is dead & turbo is free wheeling if it has not in fact spun all the way down depending on how long the light was red. On the road for a pass its pure lag if there is a pause before you get boost.
Neither Acura - nor Toyota, Nissan, etc. - offer a true 48V mild hybrid.
You're offering facts of a start/stop program that has been around for years, and many of us hate and disable (on my Odyssey, every time I enter the car; on my BMW, I had it coded to stay off). Side-note - you can't disable start/stop on 48V mild hybrids...
So in summary - the TLX and other Honda/Acuras have the crap system. German cars have a much better and newer generation.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
I'm glad i'm not the only one. It makes me really mad sometimes.. i always say bad words when it happens. And you press the pedal and keep pressing and by the time it starts going it sends more power than you intended because your foot it is half throttle.
Being annoyed is one thing, but there are times when it’s genuinely dangerous, like if you’re approaching some stopped cars on the left lane because someone is trying to make a left turn. Of course you slow down, but if there’s an opening on the right lane, you’d want to make that lane change but the throttle lag means that the car that’s approaching from behind in that very same right lane which you thought was quite far away is now much much too close for comfort. You can adjust your driving to accommodate for this behavior of course, but I would prefer the car to just do what I want, when I want.
The following users liked this post:
Neoforever (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 07:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Being annoyed is one thing, but there are times when it’s genuinely dangerous, like if you’re approaching some stopped cars on the left lane because someone is trying to make a left turn. Of course you slow down, but if there’s an opening on the right lane, you’d want to make that lane change but the throttle lag means that the car that’s approaching from behind in that very same right lane which you thought was quite far away is now much much too close for comfort. You can adjust your driving to accommodate for this behavior of course, but I would prefer the car to just do what I want, when I want.
Exactly.
Or pulling-out from strip-center onto (what is usually around here) the highway's (loop or interstate) access-road. People are flying-down the access-roads (usually going 45-50mph). Lots of cars on them, and several-cars behind you waiting to get out. No signal light of course.
You need to be able to pull-out into traffic and GO.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tesla1856:
Neoforever (10-26-2020), SebringSilver (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 11:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Please define "very short" time in seconds.
Does the 2021-S4 also have the new 12v Mild-Hybrid system?
Sadly it does not, V6T engine remains the same. One of the reasons why getting a used S4/5 SB is not a bad idea. Europe gets the diesel which has a 48V mild hybrid.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Though this review was interesting. Not the car specifically but how they deal with Luxury Sedan & Sports Sedan on the same platform. They treat them as two totally different items & do not try to mix them

Taken from MT comparison Genesis G80 vs. Mercedes-Benz E450

"Instead of trying to be a sport sedan, the E 450 is a pure luxury car. On the track, the Benz went from 0 to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds, while completing the quarter mile in 13.3 seconds at 103.2 mph. Those numbers are not eye-popping, but rather than mixing the sport and luxury world under one hood, Mercedes offers different flavors of the E-Class depending on your needs. Want something sportier? The AMG E 63 S gets to 60 mph in 3 seconds flat and crushes the quarter mile in 11.2 seconds at 124.2 mph. Of course, its 603-hp V-8 twin-turbo deserves much of that credit, but what stands out is the flexibility of the E-Class chassis, which supports different body styles (coupe, convertible, wagon, and sedan) and powertrains (four-, six-, and eight-cylinder options)."

What is also interesting is MB is moving away from the V6 & moving back to the classic I6. Their Sports Sedan V8 throws down some interesting performance numbers. Dead even with the new Corvette C8 StingRay.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:56 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Impression on the TLX-Advanced after second drive

I have now taken the 2021 Advanced model out twice for a test drive and I will give you my impressions of the car. I am coming from a 05 TL AT-6 that I purchased new. The TL has been reliable for me over the years and I have very good Acura dealership. We have owned Honda/Acura since 1983 and have very good luck with them.

I wanted to replace the TL in 2015 with the first gen TLX but was very disappointed in the ELS audio system in the car compared to the TL. I also test drove the A4 back then as well, but there was no comparison of the V6 in the TLX compared to the Turbo4. Then as time went on the ZF9 transmission issues started coming up along with the vibration issue on the expressway with the AWD version. I test drove the MMC version on several occasions as a loner car and still would not buy it.

On the 2021 TLX, they are correct, the car does look much better in person than the pictures. I really like the styling inside and out, very sporty looking and the inside is like sitting in a cockpit the way it wraps around you. Some downsides, the car is longer and wider than the TL which will take up more space in the garage. The bad part about it there is no gain in the interior space or the trunk area. Seems like such a waste, plus it is 500lbs heavier than the TL.

I do like the dash and driver’s side instruments; a virtual one would be better but the TLX version does look nice. The material inside was very nice. Not a fan of the wood and trackpad, would much rather have a touch screen, however I am thinking most of the time I would be using the controls on the steering wheel. The display screen is a little far away from the driver/passenger so we found it hard to read the text on the screen. HUD display is nice to have. I would prefer a gear shifter rather than the buttons, but could get used to that. My wife and I are not tall 5’6” so our adult kids have enough room in the back seat. Glad to have the heated rear seats but no USB port, really? The ELS sound system is very good, so a major improvement over the 1st Gen TLX

The test drive. The car accelerates OK for me, at my age I am not interested in the best 0-60 time, a second or so more is not a big deal to me. I was little disappointing to hear they are going to put the V6-NA engine in the 2022 MDX base, that would have been perfect in this car. I will always take V6 over a turbo4. The 10-speed transmission shifted smoothly, but way too many gears. At times I could tell a little hesitation not sure if it is the transmission looking to change gears or turbo lag, not to mention additional weight. I did not think this was a big issue, and not that noticeable most of the time but wanted to mention it, but not a concern to me. I found the ride to be very comfortable and quiet, steering very quick. The seats are very comfortable. I would rather have a spare tire donut than the fix a flat and air compressor.

I would classify this car as a luxury sedan that looks very sporty. I can understand how some members are disappointed in this version of the car especially following the marketing campaign. I do think the Type-S with the turbo6 will make a huge difference in the performance of this car. For me this car checks off a lot of the boxes for what I am looking for. I could see taking this car on a trip and feeling very relaxed when we get there. A very smooth and quiet ride compared to my TL. I will be keeping this car on my short list. I also test drove a 2021 A4 Premium Plus S-line the same day and that one will stay on my short list as well.
The following 4 users liked this post by DLM1213:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (11-09-2020), hadokenuh (11-17-2020), Jrvtecaccord (11-09-2020), mapleloaf (11-08-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 08:28 AM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
Originally Posted by DLM1213
I have now taken the 2021 Advanced model out twice for a test drive and I will give you my impressions of the car. I am coming from a 05 TL AT-6 that I purchased new. The TL has been reliable for me over the years and I have very good Acura dealership. We have owned Honda/Acura since 1983 and have very good luck with them.

I wanted to replace the TL in 2015 with the first gen TLX but was very disappointed in the ELS audio system in the car compared to the TL. I also test drove the A4 back then as well, but there was no comparison of the V6 in the TLX compared to the Turbo4. Then as time went on the ZF9 transmission issues started coming up along with the vibration issue on the expressway with the AWD version. I test drove the MMC version on several occasions as a loner car and still would not buy it.

On the 2021 TLX, they are correct, the car does look much better in person than the pictures. I really like the styling inside and out, very sporty looking and the inside is like sitting in a cockpit the way it wraps around you. Some downsides, the car is longer and wider than the TL which will take up more space in the garage. The bad part about it there is no gain in the interior space or the trunk area. Seems like such a waste, plus it is 500lbs heavier than the TL.

I do like the dash and driver’s side instruments; a virtual one would be better but the TLX version does look nice. The material inside was very nice. Not a fan of the wood and trackpad, would much rather have a touch screen, however I am thinking most of the time I would be using the controls on the steering wheel. The display screen is a little far away from the driver/passenger so we found it hard to read the text on the screen. HUD display is nice to have. I would prefer a gear shifter rather than the buttons, but could get used to that. My wife and I are not tall 5’6” so our adult kids have enough room in the back seat. Glad to have the heated rear seats but no USB port, really? The ELS sound system is very good, so a major improvement over the 1st Gen TLX

The test drive. The car accelerates OK for me, at my age I am not interested in the best 0-60 time, a second or so more is not a big deal to me. I was little disappointing to hear they are going to put the V6-NA engine in the 2022 MDX base, that would have been perfect in this car. I will always take V6 over a turbo4. The 10-speed transmission shifted smoothly, but way too many gears. At times I could tell a little hesitation not sure if it is the transmission looking to change gears or turbo lag, not to mention additional weight. I did not think this was a big issue, and not that noticeable most of the time but wanted to mention it, but not a concern to me. I found the ride to be very comfortable and quiet, steering very quick. The seats are very comfortable. I would rather have a spare tire donut than the fix a flat and air compressor.

I would classify this car as a luxury sedan that looks very sporty. I can understand how some members are disappointed in this version of the car especially following the marketing campaign. I do think the Type-S with the turbo6 will make a huge difference in the performance of this car. For me this car checks off a lot of the boxes for what I am looking for. I could see taking this car on a trip and feeling very relaxed when we get there. A very smooth and quiet ride compared to my TL. I will be keeping this car on my short list. I also test drove a 2021 A4 Premium Plus S-line the same day and that one will stay on my short list as well.

If this car is on your short list, you may want to check out the owner's thread for some early comments:

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...thread-990844/