2021 Acura TLX Test Drive Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 06:25 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
2021 Acura TLX Test Drive Impressions

It may be helpful to separate actual driving impressions from forum members vs the professional reviews. Feel free to post your impressions and pros/cons as you see them.

Popular Reply

09-29-2020, 11:58 AM
Honda430
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
I bought a Apex Blue A-spec last night and drove it for a few hours. The 2021 is yards better that the 2020 in all aspects excepting for the smooth V-6. And my goodness is it a looker. Nothing in the class is sexier. Ride quality is excellent. Noise levels are much improved over the 2020. The ELS system is simply fantastic. Engine response is peppy. Track car it’s not, but it will be one hell of a daily driver and that blonde in the 3 series next to you just might smile at you.

Last but not least, the A-spec interior is a work of art. Folks can complain about the mix of materials yet it all flows extremely well. It’s without a doubt the best interior Acura has ever had in one of there vehicles.

Folks can talk shit all they want abou the car before driving or seeing it up close. I implore you to go look and drive the car. Then come back here and honestly give your opinion.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:42 AM
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Test drove an A spec AWD a couple days ago. Still holding out for the type s in a few months. First impressions is it’s very small inside, much smaller than I anticipated. I’m coming from the ‘17 accord touring and it seems the Honda is twice as roomy. Materials were all well made looking and feeling. Seemed to have plenty of power for the casual driver but much to small to be a family sedan if that’s what you’re looking for. My biggest gripe is when flooring it. There seemed to be at least a 1 second delay from flooring it until the car responded. I’m hoping the type s doesn’t have this delay. Car was very good looking and if I wasn’t set on red interior I’d get the red exterior. All around a great car For the most part depending on what you’re in the market for.
The following 3 users liked this post by Beaverking:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (09-28-2020), ESHBG (09-28-2020), hadokenuh (09-30-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 09:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Copying and pasting mine from the other thread

I went to one of the local dealerships today (OK local is a bit of a stretch but it was the only one within 50 miles to have a TLX on the lot) to test drive the new car. White SH-AWD Advanced. My impressions:
  • Not a fan of the Platinum White Pearl. I think Modern Steel Metallic or Apex Blue would look much better, but unfortunately the only ones they had on the lot were white.
  • The car looks noticeably bigger. I keep seeing the word "presence" being thrown around...I suppose that's one way to look at it. From the rear it doesn't actually look that big or wide, but from the front it definitely looks like it's a class bigger than the competition.
  • Interior of the Advanced package is really nice. They also had an A-Spec model with the red interior. Even in person I'm still not a fan of that red. But back to the Advanced interior, the materials all felt high quality and there was plenty of soft-touch stuff going on. The "leather" stitched dash actually feels higher quality than the real leather stitched dash in my Volvo. This isn't like a Hyundai interior that looks nice, but feels cheap. I know it's subjective, but other than the gauge cluster and infotainment system, I like this interior more than A4, 3-series, C-Class, and S60. It just feels more inviting.
  • The MID in the middle is larger than I had thought, but I still wish they would have went with a fully digital dash.
  • Infotainment feels a little snappier than in the RDX loaners I've had, but I'm still not a fan of the truetouch trackpad. I would take any of the competitors infotainment system (except for Lexus) over this one.
  • With the front seat adjusted for my height, rear legroom is virtually identical to that of the 1G. I can confirm that you can indeed move the front seat farther back than in the 1G. Rear legroom is terrible for its size, but it's about average when compared against the competition, just like for the 1G.
Ok now for the driving. Let me preface this by saying that I couldn't drive it like a loon during the test drive, but there were a few sweepers and corners I was able to take fairly aggressively.
  • Steering feel is great, turn-in is sharp and immediate, they did a good job with the steering responsiveness.
  • On simple turns, the SH-AWD does a great job of providing power-on traction. Tires would squeal like a pig even though I wasn't driving that aggressively, but the frontend never felt like it was going to wash out. SH-AWD good, tires bad bad bad.
  • On complex turns like an S or chicane, you really feel the weight of the car as it shifts around. The car doesn't feel unsettled, but you definitely feel more pronounced body roll. SH-AWD might be able to work its magic pulling you through a corner, but it can't beat physics when it comes to weight transfer.
  • In comfort mode, the suspension is supple and compliant. Not as soft as an ES350, but definitely softer than stock 1G ride. In sport mode, the suspension is firmed up noticeably, but I wish it were a bit firmer to help remove some of that body roll. Sport feels about as firm as the normal setting in my Volvo.
  • The pumped in engine noises...I'm conflicted. It doesn't sound bad...but it definitely sounds artificial.
  • The braking feel is really really good. Pedal travel is very short, almost like in an EV where the regen braking kicks in immediately when you press down on the brakes. Some might complain about it being touchy, but once you get used to it, going back to a regular braking setup is quite jarring how deep into the pedal travel you have to go before the brakes actually engage. I'm a big fan of this setup.
  • ELS system is good I guess. I'm not an audiophile so all this stuff is wasted on me. I can tell it's not bad, but I can't tell you how good it is.
  • Road and wind noise is about the same as the 1G TLX, which is quite good.
  • Over bumps and imperfections in the road, the car feels very solid, very European. Very 1G TLX like.
Now for the part I know you're all waiting for...
  • When you cruising along at slower speeds and mash the gas pedal, there indeed is quite a noticeable delay before the car actually accelerates forward, and for the first split second it really feels like either power is being pulled or something is slipping .
  • If you use the paddle shifters to get yourself into the right gear, there's no delay, although it doesn't feel like you have the full allotment of power immediately
  • If you're cruising at highway speeds when you mash the gas pedal, the transmission responds much quicker and the acceleration feels stronger.
  • In all other situations, the 10AT feels way better than the ZF9.
  • As I expected, the car pulls hard when everything is lined up (i.e. you're in the right gear, you're under 5000RPMs, etc.)
  • Turbo lag is minimal, mid-range torque is great, but the small turbo runs out of steam starting around 5000RPMs just like in the RDX.
  • Upshifts are fast, but the transmission doesn't respond to the paddles as quickly as I'd like, and downshifts are a little slow.
Basically if you've driven the RDX, it feels pretty much the same. I have a hard time believing the engineers spent much time making changes to the powertrain before dropping it into this car.

So what does this all mean? Well, for me the acceleration responsiveness thing isn't necessarily a deal-breaker because it seems to be a problem in just that one scenario (low speed cruising). Also, subpar 0-60 times I'm not too concerned about because the mid-range where you'll spend most of the time in the real world is strong. As a DD, I like this more than the J35, though at the track I'd prefer the J35. That said, the powertrain does feel average to slightly below average when compared to the competition. Yes, it makes the most advertised horsepower, but you wouldn't be able to tell by driving it. It just doesn't have that same sense of urgency or immediate power or oomph that the A4 and C300 has (haven't driven the new 330i yet). I still very much prefer the EA888 in the Audi. On the other hand, there's a lot to like about the rest of the car. As a car, it's pretty great. Even the backseat is OK; if you were OK with the 1G TLX, then you'll be OK with this. But would I buy it? If the powertrain performed as well as it does in the Accord 2.0T, yes. But unfortunately, the powertrain is just not up to par. It's a bummer, because I really do like the rest of the car save for the weight. It does so many things so well, and maybe my standards for performance are just unrealistically high, but if they could just replace this powertrain with the Audi's, it would be a no-brainer. As it currently stands...it's a good to great car, but as a sports sedan it's a mixed bag.
The following 12 users liked this post by fiatlux:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (09-28-2020), cjconrad (10-24-2020), CoquiTSX (10-25-2020), Curious3GTL (09-30-2020), dregsfan (10-22-2020), ELIN (11-16-2020), Entrepid (10-06-2020), hadokenuh (09-30-2020), mapleloaf (09-29-2020), Nedmundo (09-29-2020), SebringSilver (09-30-2020), Tesla1856 (09-29-2020) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-28-2020, 02:53 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
My first impression of the 2021 TLX - A- SPEC!

There are a lot of negativity is going around and some people are just trying to find little issues and that's all. And of course, we have some super biased opinions as well. At the end of the day, neither party will help a real buyer. That's why I always say, don't rely on our opinion and preferences. Go test drive the car and spend a good 2-3 hours before spending $45-50K. if you have to do multiple test drive, go do it!

Interior: Acura has done a phenomenal job in this department. You can clearly see they put a lot of effort to make the new TLX upscale and match it to the Germans rather than Japanese manufactures. Everything in the car looks solid, real and premium. However, Acura failed to implement the same quality and premium material on the door panels (Advances is good, I am referring to the A-SPEC). I believe the door materials are inconsistent and the upper portion looks cheap. In addition, the infotainment and the touchpad require a little adjustment. It's not a walk in the park. I can see some people may not like the experience and it moves too fast.

Exterior: Look is subjective. I think it looks great from the front end and the design is excellent. The back is also decent but not as good as the front. Wheels are not great at all. Acura should redesign these wheels and gives us the 1st Gen A-SPEC wheels. Also, the exhausts in A-SEPC is not exciting. Acura wanted to cut cost and put the same ones in all models. Poor decision.

Driving and Handling: I truly enjoyed the the 30-45 min ride. The car drives smooth, handles very good and it's not slow at all. I drove the BMW 330 rights after the TLX and honestly you don't feel much difference. I felt BMW a bit faster when it takes off but once you are on the highway and you are pushing the car. I felt the TLX is faster. I haven't driven C300 and A4, so I cannot comment. Now, I am not a race car driver or taken the car to a race track to test. But in this segment, TLX won't disappoint you. It has sufficient power to bring a smile on your face. The SH-AWD is a magic when you are turning in tight corners. If you are from MTL, Quebec, test drive it from highway 40 East merging to 15 North. Keep pushing the car and see it for yourself. So Acura is giving is much more HP than the Germans. But it doesn't feel faster (at least with 330 test that I did). is this disappointing? YES! Why can't Acura get better power with more HP?? I am sure it has to do with weight, tuning and etc. But that's the reality. The car's weight felt more like 4th TL to me.

Conclusion: An A-SPEC is around $55k CAD. Acura gives you pretty much all the bells and whistles for this money but the price difference from the Germans are not far away, especially if you compare the price to an Audi A4. Also, Acura does not have the same brand prestige as a MB or BMW. To conclude, Acura has built a great product and you can see it from design, to handling and material. I definitely recommend anyone buying a car in the $50-55K range to test the new TLX. At the end of the day, you are writing the check
The following 6 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (09-29-2020), CoquiTSX (10-25-2020), ELIN (11-16-2020), hadokenuh (09-30-2020), mapleloaf (09-29-2020), Nedmundo (09-29-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-28-2020, 02:57 PM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
My first impression of the 2021 TLX - A- SPEC!

There are a lot of negativity is going around and some people are just trying to find little issues and that's all. And of course, we have some super biased opinions as well. At the end of the day, neither party will help a real buyer. That's why I always say, don't rely on our opinion and preferences. Go test drive the car and spend a good 2-3 hours before spending $45-50K. if you have to do multiple test drive, go do it!

Conclusion: An A-SPEC is around $55k CAD. Acura gives you pretty much all the bells and whistles for this money but the price difference from the Germans are not far away, especially if you compare the price to an Audi A4. Also, Acura does not have the same brand prestige as a MB or BMW. To conclude, Acura has built a great product and you can see it from design, to handling and material. I definitely recommend anyone buying a car in the $50-55K range to test the new TLX. At the end of the day, you are writing the check
that therein lies the issue.
only dumb money is buying.

smart money aint buying these things.
The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 03:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
I would suggest staying away from the first model year no matter what anybody says.
The following 5 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
fiatlux (09-28-2020), hadokenuh (09-30-2020), Monte TLS,MAX (09-29-2020), pyrodan007 (09-28-2020), RedOctober (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 03:54 PM
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
When you cruising along at slower speeds and mash the gas pedal, there indeed is quite a noticeable delay before the car actually accelerates forward, and for the first split second it really feels like either power is being pulled or something is slipping.
That's unfortunate. What drive modes did you use? Did it make any difference?
Old 09-28-2020, 03:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bilirubin
That's unfortunate. What drive modes did you use? Did it make any difference?
I tried it in normal and sport. In sport it’s better, but still pretty noticeable. Throttle response is better, but the transmission still takes time to kick down, and for the first second as you start moving it just feels like something is holding it back, even taking into account turbo lag.
bilirubin (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 06:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just test drove the A-spec for about 30 minutes. I went by myself without a salesperson so I was able to give it the beans on some on ramps and also on the freeway itself. For the most part, it drives like a 3G RDX with a lower center of gravity.

The front suspension set up is pretty good: firm but compliant. Steering turn-in is definitely better than in the RDX but as a result it felt a bit more nervous or touchy at highway speeds, the way you’d expect a sports car to behave, which is good and bad depending on your driving style.

The driving position is quite good with good visibility all around, but in terms of touch points, the leather, leather-like materials, the soft-touch plastics etc are still not as good as they are on a German car. The window sill plastic material was shockingly cheap in fact and I would say the RDX’s is better.

There are plenty of little nooks and crannies in the front area of the cabin to offer useful stowage, and the spaciousness is quite good. The back seats however are meant for people you don’t really like. No USB ports of any kind back there in this day and age, really Acura? Both front and back seats are too short in my opinion, which was a problem only for the front seats in my RDX. I think the front seats, at the very least, should be about 1.5” longer to be a more comfortable proposition, especially for long drives.

The air-conditioning is much more powerful than in my RDX for some reason, which is a good thing. And having a digital speedometer is definitely a big plus.

When I slammed the trunk lid shut, there was a more solid thunk than what I would hear on any of my three previous TLXs, almost on par with an Audi’s, but not quite. You have to pay extra for grocery bag hooks but they come standard on Audis and I believe the other Germans as well (correct me if I’m wrong). The hooks are also not very well designed making it hard to hang your grocery bags onto them.

As for driving dynamics, others have covered this topic quite extensively so I’ll just say that in terms of acceleration, it’s adequate for most people. You will NOT win any stoplight battles, period. I drove the car in Normal and Sport, with the gearbox in both D and in S. The dreaded hesitation is definitely still there in Normal and D. In Normal and S, it is a bit better which is something I’d also say about the RDX. In Sport mode, choosing D or S didn’t seem to make much difference which someone else on this board had also mentioned, but for some reason it seems to make a difference on my RDX. Driving in Sport mode the car is much more responsive to throttle inputs which is expected. And overall, the car felt smoother in terms of gear changes (especially in Sport) than in the RDX.

As for braking, the initial bite is more pronounced than in the RDX. I liked that. However, I don’t know if objectively the car decelerates any faster than the RDX.

I sat in a Platinum Elite but didn’t get to drive one and I have to say I like that interior more than the A-spec’s. Given the performance is likely to be identical, if money is not an issue and you absolutely have to have a TLX, I would recommend getting the Platinum Elite. With either trim, I would definitely get aftermarket wheels.
The following 5 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
a35tl (09-28-2020), CheeseyPoofs McNut (09-29-2020), ELIN (11-16-2020), ESHBG (09-28-2020), Nedmundo (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 02:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I test drove a red ASpec today for about 30 minutes on my own. Including the Platinum Elite WHite and Phantom Violet Pearl versions in the showroom, this is one fine looking car, somewhat better in person (especially the back end). Actual real exhaust tips! As far as inside materials, after sitting in my friends newer high end Q7 jlast weekend, I must say I prefer the Acura interior. Materials are excellent, for the most part, and the overall look is warmer and more of a cockpit style feeling. I'm not big on the more spartan look of the Audi and others, but that of course is a very subjective thing. I know there is a lot of angst here about the back seat area, but with the driver seat in place for my six foot frame, I had ample room in the back leg room wise, and the width is more than ample for 3 people. Having said that, my back seat is used maybe 5% of the time I drive a car. Disappointed that there wasn't at least 1 USB charging port for back seat occupants, but perhaps taking the kids phones away to charge upfront provides an opportunity for family dialogue

The sound system is absolutely sublime. As much as I enjoy my current 10 speaker ELS, this system adds more layers of sound while providing more of the bass that our younger enthusiasts crave. As for the true touch pad, I've had some experience with it and as I enjoy adapting to new technologies, even those that don't imitate an IPAD, I'm fine with it. A touch screen is easier but not quite as safe and does leave fingerprints. I'll admit that I kinda like having something different.

The Auto Stop mode is very well implemented in this car, and I appreciate having that option. The steering wheel is a little more button heavy than my current 2018 Elite, but I adjusted quickly to the few changes. I do appreciate having the larger 7 inch digital screen between the two analogue gauges, especially as it includes a digital speedometer as an option. I'm okay with the ASpec white and red gauges, but I prefer the non Aspec gauges. Given the features I want, I would likely opt for a Platinum Elite in White with Parchment seats, or Metallic Grey with Saddle Brown seats, or possibly the very striking Phantom Violet Pearl with black leather...I wish this colour had the Parchment interior option.

Regarding the drive, I made a point of imitating the low speed rapid accelerations to evaluate the lag that some folks here have discussed at length. In Comfort, I noticed it but nothing that would ever give me pause or concern that this was dangerous. I have driven 4 cylinder NA cars almost my entire 48 years of driving (16 months in a 2015 3.5 TLX), most of them with less power and torque than my current TLX, and have never needed better acceleration to avoid an accident. Generally, accident avoidance is enhanced when you have good reflexes, drive defensively, and have a car that handles well. In Normal, the lag was less noticeable, and in Sport pretty much non-existent. Having said all of that, I suspect this is a deal breaker for some. At mid to hign speeds, when faster acceleration is more likely, there isn't an issue. To quote A on A, this was a fun car to drive, given the excellent and wonderful handling of the SH-AWD and the stiffer chasis. The 10 speed performed surprisingly well, although not quite on the same level as my 8 DCT. You will win plenty of stop light battles if thats your thing, just not all of them. This is definitely a sports sedan, just not the fastest kid on the block. If getting to 60 mph a half second earlier is a must have, perhaps to compensate for other "shortcomings", then move along...nothing to see here.

For my needs and wants, this car ticks off a lot of boxes for me. It ups the exterior looks a little, the interior look and feel quite a bit, and is a hoot to drive. I know that a segment of the 6 cylinder crowd will want more than the 2.0 Turbo, which is where the Type S comes in. I am just past two years into my 4 year lease, so would likely wait for the 2022 version, which is never a bad idea. I will also look to test drive a current A4 for comparison purposes. From a looks point of view, I would describe the Audi as a "handsome woman" and the TLX as the "sporty blonde". From a price perspective, the Acura is still cheaper, but that gap grows because of the 2% loyalty discount on a lease that I get from Acura. Thats basically like putting 2.5K down. I may also find some time to drive the Accord 2.0T.

As mentioned by a few people, the only way to make a good selection is to go and drive this and other cars you are interested in. Sit in them, play with the tech, drive them throughly the way you normally drive and decide accordingly.
The following 12 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
a35tl (09-29-2020), CheeseyPoofs McNut (09-29-2020), Curious3GTL (09-30-2020), dregsfan (10-22-2020), ELIN (11-16-2020), hadokenuh (09-30-2020), Jrvtecaccord (09-30-2020), MiaQbn23 (10-04-2020), Nedmundo (09-29-2020), steve_97060 (10-01-2020), Tesla1856 (09-29-2020), Tony Pac (09-29-2020) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-29-2020, 10:14 AM
dio
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
I test drove the TLX Aspec over the weekend, I believe it was the Silver Luna Metallic at Rick Case Acura.. The car I test drove had 50 miles and was the only Aspec they had, they also had a couple of the entry level TLX there as well.
My first impressions was very positive coming from two 2018 TLX v6, 1 Black and 1 White both red leather as a point of reference, my two leases end within the next couple of months.

First, the exterior is an evolution of the outgoing, the car is a little wider, a tad longer and some tweaks, but again for the most part not a revolutionary in the exterior of the car.
The interior is where the car really shines, the build quality, materials and fit and finish are all a major upgrade and makes my current TLX feel old.

The interior of the 2021 reminded me a lot of the interiors of some of the German luxury brands, which frankly no other Acura car has had that effect on me getting into the cars like the 2021 TLX, and I've owned 11 Acura since 2007.

The tech on this new vehicle is terrific, the ELS sound system, dash, screen are all major improvements. The seating and customizations are all nice upgrades from the outgoing and the heat and vents now cool and heat the back of seats as well and more seating adjustments are available too.

The drive in my opinion is a nice improvement, the steering is improved, the tranny is improved and I like the feel of the cars driving dynamics vs the outgoing, a lot more fun to drive.
I’m in my 50’s and I don’t need anything extraordinary, I need a car that will go when I ask and get out of dumb traffic when asked, this car will do just that.

For members of these forums to say the car is not an improvement need to see it in person and drive it. Am, I happy that the cars MSRP has increased by 6k on the outgoing, of course not.

I say drive the car, spend some time with it and inform your own opinion and wait till the hype is gone, and I ‘am certain we can all negotiate a good deal.

I will own this car and be very happy. I've been loyal to the brand, and Acura in my opinion still offers a ton of value relative to the competition.

Last edited by dio; 09-29-2020 at 10:23 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by dio:
a35tl (09-29-2020), CheeseyPoofs McNut (09-29-2020), Curious3GTL (09-30-2020), ELIN (11-16-2020), JT 50 (09-29-2020), mapleloaf (09-30-2020), steve_97060 (10-01-2020), Tony Pac (09-29-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-29-2020, 11:58 AM
Pro

I bought a Apex Blue A-spec last night and drove it for a few hours. The 2021 is yards better that the 2020 in all aspects excepting for the smooth V-6. And my goodness is it a looker. Nothing in the class is sexier. Ride quality is excellent. Noise levels are much improved over the 2020. The ELS system is simply fantastic. Engine response is peppy. Track car it’s not, but it will be one hell of a daily driver and that blonde in the 3 series next to you just might smile at you.

Last but not least, the A-spec interior is a work of art. Folks can complain about the mix of materials yet it all flows extremely well. It’s without a doubt the best interior Acura has ever had in one of there vehicles.

Folks can talk shit all they want abou the car before driving or seeing it up close. I implore you to go look and drive the car. Then come back here and honestly give your opinion.

The following 23 users liked this post by Honda430:
a35tl (09-29-2020), acuranj18 (09-29-2020), amcobra (09-30-2020), benjaminh (10-06-2020), CadiGTi (10-07-2020), CheeseyPoofs McNut (09-29-2020), CoquiTSX (10-25-2020), Curious3GTL (09-30-2020), DreamTSX (09-29-2020), Drei (09-29-2020), ELIN (11-16-2020), FLYGUY31 (09-30-2020), hadokenuh (09-30-2020), Legend2TL (09-29-2020), Mak P (09-29-2020), mapleloaf (09-30-2020), Nedmundo (09-29-2020), Pens Fan (09-29-2020), Rocket_man (10-11-2020), silverTL6 (10-02-2020), steve_97060 (10-01-2020), Tesla1856 (09-29-2020), Tony Pac (09-29-2020) and 18 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-29-2020, 12:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Honda430

Congrats on the car! Would you mind sharing whether the dealership was willing to budge on price? The one I went to said he wasn't excepting to go any lower than sticker until at least next year.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Congrats on your news TLX, enjoy in safe travels!
Old 09-29-2020, 12:11 PM
Pro

I got $300 in addition to the loyalty bonus for a total of $1,300. The best price I got was $1,500 discount including loyalty. However, they didn't have the color I wanted. I spoke with 4 dealers total. One wanted over MSRP. Another wanted to add in $200 worth of paint protection and loyalty. Got less on my trade-in than I anticipated. They offered me $400 less than the Car Max quote. I didn't want to go through the hassle of dealing with Car Max so I accepted their offer. One bonus was their letting me pay my $6,000 down with my credit card so I got 6,000 FF miles off the card.

Last edited by Honda430; 09-29-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Congratulations.

What else did you test drive before committing to the TLX?
Old 09-29-2020, 01:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Congratulations.

What else did you test drive before committing to the TLX?
No other test drives. I bought the TLX-2 because of the styling. I don’t find any of the other cars in that class attractive. I think both the Stinger and G70 exterior style wise are failures.

I like the water flow dash layout In the TLX. While the cabin appointments are stellar with a lot of the competition I simply abhor a dash that looks like it was stuck on the front of the cabin as an after thought. As an example I ubered in ES 350 with the 12.3” screen. My god was that thing was ugly.

As to driving dynamics at some point simply good is good enough. After owning a 2006 and 2018 Aspec I had no reservations about whether Acura could setup a suspension that would meet by requirements. After the driving the car they certainly have accomplished that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
steve_97060 (10-01-2020), Tony Pac (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 02:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

No other test drives. I bought the TLX-2 because of the styling. I don’t find any of the other cars in that class attractive. I think both the Stinger and G70 exterior style wise are failures.

I like the water flow dash layout In the TLX. While the cabin appointments are stellar with a lot of the competition I simply abhor a dash that looks like it was stuck on the front of the cabin as an after thought. As an example I ubered in ES 350 with the 12.3” screen. My god was that thing was ugly.

As to driving dynamics at some point simply good is good enough. After owning a 2006 and 2018 Aspec I had no reservations about whether Acura could setup a suspension that would meet by requirements. After the driving the car they certainly have accomplished that.
I agree the styling on the new TLX is very well done. It’s good to see someone who’s happy with their purchase. If the Type S can be had with HUD, I will still consider it as my new daily driver.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:42 PM
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
I agree the styling on the new TLX is very well done. It’s good to see someone who’s happy with their purchase. If the Type S can be had with HUD, I will still consider it as my new daily driver.
Ive been told by people at Acura that the HUD is not only not standard on the Type S but that it won’t even be an option as an add on. Pretty bummed myself about that.
SebringSilver (09-30-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 04:43 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
I would suggest staying away from the first model year no matter what anybody says.
I generally agree, but I think it's less risky here because the drivetrain components have been on the road for awhile in other models. If it were an all-new engine and transmission, no freakin' way. Back in 2006, we bought a first-year Mazda5 microvan (5MT no less), and I wasn't worried because the drivetrain was straight out of the Mazda 3. Almost nothing went wrong, but the sliding doors could freeze shut under some conditions, and they were of course components new to the 5. Oh well.

Anyway, I sat in an A-Spec today, and I thought the interior was just fantastic. Loved the gauges, high quality materials, and the wonderful seats. IMO, Acura has some of the best seats in the biz, and these are awesome.

For perception of size, flatlux is right on. Standing at the rear door, it doesn't look like a big car. Move to the front, and the length is really obvious. And it's not just the long hood, but the large front overhang, which I question from a design perspective.

I think it looks great.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:01 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Beaverking
Ive been told by people at Acura that the HUD is not only not standard on the Type S but that it won’t even be an option as an add on. Pretty bummed myself about that.
That is one of the downsides to buying an Acura/Honda. They create the packages available, and you cannot decide to add something that is not part of their standard packages. German manufacturers usually allow more customization, if you are willing to pay up.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:05 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
My last four Acura/Honda purchases were all first year models, and I did not experience any major problems with any of the vehicles. However, I would probably wait for the second year to get better pricing.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:33 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
My last four Acura/Honda purchases were all first year models, and I did not experience any major problems with any of the vehicles. However, I would probably wait for the second year to get better pricing.
Three of our last five Honda/Acura's were first year models (2003 Pilot, 2016 Civic, 2017 CR-V). Pilot has been exceptional 320k miles and relatively trouble-free besides maintenance. Civic and CR-V are ~50k miles and been trouble-free except for shifter button recall on the CR-V (which broke). Agree on the pricing, our Pilot was list price and still had to wait a couple months for it.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:38 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts

Folks can talk shit all they want about the car before driving or seeing it up close. I implore you to go look and drive the car. Then come back here and honestly give your opinion.

That looks incredible at night - usually all the people talking shit own pos Hyundai's and/or Kia's so I'd ignore them...

The TLX I leased 3 years ago was amazing - I'm confident the quality and driving dynamics improved with this new TLX! Enjoy it!
Tony Pac (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 09:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Drei
That looks incredible at night - usually all the people talking shit own pos Hyundai's and/or Kia's so I'd ignore them...

The TLX I leased 3 years ago was amazing - I'm confident the quality and driving dynamics improved with this new TLX! Enjoy it!
Are you implying people who drive Acuras are in some way inherently superior to people who drive Kias and Hyundais? As a TLX driver, do you feel inferior to, say, Mercedes and Audi drivers? Not being sarcastic. I’m genuinely curious.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Congrats
Old 09-29-2020, 10:14 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts

Congrats! Drive safe and enjoy!
Old 09-29-2020, 10:57 PM
Safety Car

Are you implying people who drive Acuras are in some way inherently superior to people who drive Kias and Hyundais? As a TLX driver, do you feel inferior to, say, Mercedes and Audi drivers? Not being sarcastic. I’m genuinely curious.

The following 10 users liked this post by fiatlux:
AcuraFan1980 (09-30-2020), BEAR-AvHistory (09-30-2020), ESHBG (09-30-2020), leomio85 (09-30-2020), pyrodan007 (09-30-2020), RedOctober (09-29-2020), SebringSilver (09-29-2020), sonyfever (09-30-2020), Terragotti (10-02-2020), Tesla1856 (09-29-2020) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-29-2020, 11:14 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux

RedOctober (09-29-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 12:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
That looks absolutely amazing!! Congrats on the purchase and enjoy!
Old 09-30-2020, 12:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, blue looks awesome on the new TLX!
Old 09-30-2020, 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Beaverking
There is a few other things that are not on the Type-S, rain sensing wipers and a few other things. It is almost like the Type-S is an upgrade for the ASPEC vs. the Advanced. I really want a Type-S, but will not pay $55K or more for a car with features removed. I have been eyeing a G70 Sport or the Special Edition when they release that.
The following 2 users liked this post by KeithL:
ELIN (11-16-2020), Mak P (10-01-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 06:21 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
There is a few other things that are not on the Type-S, rain sensing wipers and a few other things. It is almost like the Type-S is an upgrade for the ASPEC vs. the Advanced. I really want a Type-S, but will not pay $55K or more for a car with features removed. I have been eyeing a G70 Sport or the Special Edition when they release that.
Same here, I'm waiting for the Type-S but I really don't get Acura's approach on this. Why not at least offer these options on the Type-S for those willing to pay for them? It makes no sense.
a35tl (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by KeithL
They've been saying it basically since the unveiling of the Type S that it will be an A-Spec + performance goodies. So, any of the features the A-Spec does or doesn't have will be what the Type S comes with. The larger engine, wheels/tires and suspension upgrades are going to be the additions. There will not be any features exclusive to the Advance on the Type S. It's not "almost like" ... it's what Acura has stated. If that's a dealbreaker for you, I'd start shopping elsewhere. I was hoping this meant keeping costs down on the Type S, but that theory already got shot to shit, especially with the Advance already being $50k, and the price steadily climbing as the reveal draws nearer. I remember when people believed the Type-S was going to be under $50k ... now it's looking more like mid-$50k ... and will be revealed being just under $60k with the way it's going.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by MM_CHI20
Same here, I'm waiting for the Type-S but I really don't get Acura's approach on this. Why not at least offer these options on the Type-S for those willing to pay for them? It makes no sense.
Because it keeps costs down ... even though Acura completely lost all propositions of being a "bargain" with the price hike of the more pedestrian models of the TLX, and the fact that the Type S is going to be nipping at the heels of similarly optioned German rivals. At least that's what the brand nutswingers keep saying.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:08 AM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I test drove an A-Spec AWD 2021 TLX today. Overall I liked it but could tell it isn’t going to win any drag races, and I’m coming from a 2016 Mustang Ecoboost Manual. I think if I were to buy this car I’d wait for the Type-S with the caveat that I’m not sure I can stomache dropping about 55k on a new car. Here are some notes:

1. The red interior looks far better in person than the pictures. Darker vs the bright red in the pictures. It might take a bit of getting used to but I did like it. I compared it to an advance with the tan interior and liked it better. The dash being black in the A-Spec red interior vs being tan like the seats in the Advance to me made it look better. I think the Advance package is targeting a different buyer than me.

2. I’m just shy of 6 feet and sat in the back seat with no issues. My head did not hit the ceiling and there was “enough” leg room. Not a lot but i was not pushed up against the driver or passenger seat.

3. The trunk looks a bit small. Probably a result of the same design decision that led to the long hood and smaller back seat. Usable though and it looked like you can fit a full size suitcase in there.

4. The interior is button heavy to the point of being silly. However, I’m pretty sure I’d get used to it after a week. The trackpad for the nav system seemed like it would also take a few days to get used to but I was able to manipulate it while driving. The navigation screen is far enough away that touching it while driving did not seem practical.

5. The white color did not seem to be particularly striking and looked like a fancy Honda Accord. The A-Spec Blue and Black look really really nice. There were no other colors at the dealership I went to. I’d buy the blue personally.
mapleloaf (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 02:58 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I also drove a TLX A-Spec today. Based on the price, it is NOT AWD: https://www.edvoylesacura.com/invent...ub5f5xma000312

Generally speaking (and I've owned seven Acuras, eight Hondas, and a ton of other cars), it's okay.
Apples-to-apples with my current Nissan Maxima Platinum Reserve (don't judge, don't flame me), it seems a lot smaller/tighter on the inside. Rear seat legroom and trunk (cargo) space are smaller than I could handle in a car (although similar to a Genesis G70, which appears to be the benchmark IMHO).

Driving was adequate. Car was well insulated/isolated. Comfort and Normal modes are okay, as you'd expect. Pickup from the 270-HP 4-cylinder seems to be in the 6-second range, but not sure if AWD would sap a full second of power.

The infotainment is... unusual. The "finger in a spot maps 1:1 to screen" is fine, BUT (big but), as a CarPlay user, I had to balance (carefully) my finger to drag and point in CarPlay mode. Not optimal.

It's a comfortable car, with decent infotainment, good seats, and a chubby steering wheel. But worth $49k or an $800 lease? No.

The following 2 users liked this post by lindros2:
ESHBG (10-01-2020), RedOctober (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by lindros2
It's a comfortable car, with decent infotainment, good seats, and a chubby steering wheel. But worth $49k or an $800 lease? No.
This is the biggest issue I think. Is it an objectively bad car? No, I don't think so. But is it worth a $4,500 price hike? Absolutely not.
ESHBG (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 04:59 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
This is the biggest issue I think. Is it an objectively bad car? No, I don't think so. But is it worth a $4,500 price hike? Absolutely not.
Well stated. and true. It's... average. No one will put it on a track. Too heavy, too loaded with comfort stuff.

Also -> sorry - my photos included a 2020 PMC edition... for comparison.
The following 2 users liked this post by lindros2:
ESHBG (10-01-2020), RedOctober (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 06:17 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by lindros2
Well stated. and true. It's... average. No one will put it on a track. Too heavy, too loaded with comfort stuff.
That's the thing - you shouldn't get hung up with what the marketing department says - but rather look at the actual products they're developing.

Acura never intended to compete head on with BMW or Mercedes. They're the luxury division of Honda. They're making really nice Hondas! (NSX notwithstanding) They're intended to be the upgrade path for those Accord/Civic/CRV/Pilot drivers who want a little more luxury and more of a drivers car. They're happy to take customers from Infinity or Lexus etc etc too I'm sure.

With regards to the pricing - time will tell how long they can stay close to MSRP. The market will determine if that strategy will work.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Test Drive Impressions