2021 Acura TLX Test Drive Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 08:24 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
It screams for the body kit. Otherwise, it looks like a rental car.
The following 4 users liked this post by Carnage719:
04WDPSeDaN (10-24-2020), BEAR-AvHistory (10-22-2020), Monte TLS,MAX (10-23-2020), SebringSilver (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 10:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Carnage719
It screams for the body kit. Otherwise, it looks like a rental car.
Are the body-kit pieces that come on the Type-S, the same as the ones now available for the TLX-2.0T in the online builder?

Maybe they look different in person, but when I add front/back/side spoilers to Advance ... they don't change the look much at all. They seem very minimalistic.

And while the black A-Spec/Type-S trunk spoiler might look nice on a white one, the one available for Advance is color-matched. Maybe that is the right choice for this car (toned down a bit) but strange I can't try/buy either.

But just experimenting. Not like I need to raise the price any higher than it already is. However, that white Type-S in the beginning of the official video is sweet. If a Type-S is in my future, I would just buy a clone of that one.

But yeah, the TLX Advance is just a normal premium sedan ... maybe wrong, but I think of it as the classy/luxury version.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 10-22-2020 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:01 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Are the body-kit pieces that come on the Type-S, the same as the ones now available for the TLX-2.0T in the online builder?

Maybe they look different in person, but when I add front/back/side spoilers to Advance ... they don't change the look much at all. They seem very minimalistic.

And while the black A-Spec/Type-S trunk spoiler might look nice on a white one, the one available for Advance is color-matched. Maybe that is the right choice for this car (toned down a bit) but strange I can't try/buy either.

But just experimenting. Not like I need to raise the price any higher than it already is. However, that white Type-S in the beginning of the official video is sweet. If a Type-S is in my future, I would just buy a clone of that one.

But yeah, the TLX Advance is just a normal premium sedan ... maybe wrong, but I think of it as the classy/luxury version.
You always have the option of mounting the non-Aspec black spoiler on your Advance. There’s nothing stopping you from doing that. With the Advance probably best just to go with the spoiler and the splash guards to keep the look clean.

Last edited by Honda430; 10-22-2020 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:06 PM
Racer

Are the body-kit pieces that come on the Type-S, the same as the ones now available for the TLX-2.0T in the online builder? No, the Type-S has it's own styling.

Maybe they look different in person, but when I add front/back/side spoilers to Advance ... they don't change the look much at all. They seem very minimalistic. In one of the threads, there's a video with a full install of the body kit on the ASpec model. Quite frankly, it's a noticeable difference, and how the ASpec should've come standard vs another $1500 add-on.
/

Last edited by Carnage719; 10-22-2020 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Honda430
You always have the option of mounting the non-Aspec black spoiler on your Advance. There’s nothing stopping you from doing that.
Right. And yes, if you want it ... Advance should get (toned down) color matched trunk fin. The Type-S (and I suppose A-Spec) gets the black one ... but this is not those cars.

I figured-out the online builder, and I'm trying different things. You know ... rental-car or not, I think I just like the cleaner look.
I don't care for the design of the front and side spoilers.
Cheap Rear-Diffuser, and color-matched Mud-Flaps and trunk-fin looks OK to me. But really, I think it looks fine the way it comes normally.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:23 PM
Burning Brakes

1. No, the Type-S has it's own styling.

2. In one of the threads, there's a video with a full install of the body kit on the ASpec model. Quite frankly, it's a noticeable difference, and how the ASpec should've come standard vs another $1500 add-on.
1. As it should I suppose. Thanks for verifying.

2. Oh yeah, the blue car.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 543 Likes on 351 Posts
Nice review, @Tesla1856 . Please report back on your thoughts about the A4 and how they compare.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Smile

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Nice review, @Tesla1856 . Please report back on your thoughts about the A4 and how they compare.
Thanks and will do.

So, I kinda ruined now. I have said things like “I should have just bought the 2020-TLX and be done with it”. Yeah, well ... even if heavily discounted, I don’t think I could really do that now.

Even the Acura salesman admitted that Honda kinda lost its way between 2013-2019. And since the TLX was based on the Accord … all that filtered down to the Acura line.
Well, not any more. This is something different. Now that I have seen and driven one, I‘m really starting to understand the importance of this new “exclusive platform” and what that really means.

This TLX is like the Honda’s and Acura’s from 10 years ago (heavy, safe, sturdy, quality) but with today’s technology (like a new loaded Audi) but with more of a Japanese luxury feel (that many of us have been yearning for). Still conservative, but not as much as before. No, it’s not perfect, but they seem to be heading in a better direction now. New vehicles (especially premium ones) have gotten so expensive, but I think Acura is trying to deliver nice cars while still staying profitable and in business.

Along with the car’s new hardware, the new AcuraWatch-AI is impressive and any prospective customers should probably read-up on it’s full features. While you might never use some of it’s features, the car could very well save you or a family member from serious injury one day (or even step-in and prevent the accident all together). And I still think SH-AWD is best-safety feature for driving in rain and weather (due to its superior traction and control).

Last edited by Tesla1856; 10-23-2020 at 01:17 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tesla1856:
dio (10-23-2020), ESHBG (10-23-2020), Nedmundo (10-24-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 05:37 AM
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts
Along with the car’s new hardware, the new AcuraWatch-AI is impressive and any prospective customers should probably read-up on it’s full features. While you might never use some of it’s features, the car could very well save you or a family member from serious injury one day (or even step-in and prevent the accident all together). And I still think SH-AWD is best-safety feature for driving in rain and weather (due to its superior traction and control).
I couldn't agree more. I had a very close call on a freeway while driving an A4 with Audi Pre-sense braking. A car ahead of me stopped abruptly (still unclear why), and fortunately the A4's autonomous braking activated a good half-second before I slammed on the breaks. Stopped with about 2-3 inches to spare!
Old 10-23-2020, 08:35 AM
Racer

I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot of reviews, and every one defines itself in compromise. "Nice car, but...", and sure, no car hits every mark. But the decision to buy the 2G depends on your experience with the brand and the category you fall in, fanboy, loyalist, or realist. Since my TLX is my first Acura and I'm a sedan vs SUV/crossover guy, the added length and weight, switch to a turbo with undesirable (for me) power delivery, and significant increase in cost vs value ratio, likely killed any future purchase in the brand for me. I'd probably love the Type-S if all options were available (again, compromise), but I walked away from an S5 Sportback because I'm not in the market for a $55-60K car.

Last edited by Carnage719; 10-23-2020 at 08:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 01:37 PM
Burning Brakes

AcuraWatch 2020

Originally Posted by bilirubin
I couldn't agree more. I had a very close call on a freeway while driving an A4 with Audi Pre-sense braking. A car ahead of me stopped abruptly (still unclear why), and fortunately the A4's autonomous braking activated a good half-second before I slammed on the breaks. Stopped with about 2-3 inches to spare!
Excellent. Luckily, we haven't had to rely on the Q5e's Audi Pre-Sense to step-in yet, but we feel safer knowing it is there, watching-out for us. Yes, both the Audi and Acura systems seem to be very fast and alert ... at highway-speeds 0.5-1.0 seconds can make a big difference (between a collision and just a close-call).

The owner's manual is more complete, but the 2021 TLX's AcuraWatch-AI should be the same as this video for a newer RDX. All the (what has now-days become) "usual features" but take-note:
- Low-Speed-Follow will now resume from a complete stop, without pressing gas-petal or pressing Resume button.
- Road-Departure-Mitigation seems to indicate that it knows the difference between lanes vs roads and going off the road is a more critical situation. Think ditch, hill-side, etc..
- Collision-Mitigation-Braking-System has 4 stages ... that all happen in a fraction of a second (I assume faster at higher speeds)

So, the word of the day is MITIGATION

Old 10-23-2020, 02:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks and will do.

So, I kinda ruined now. I have said things like “I should have just bought the 2020-TLX and be done with it”. Yeah, well ... even if heavily discounted, I don’t think I could really do that now.

Even the Acura salesman admitted that Honda kinda lost its way between 2013-2019. And since the TLX was based on the Accord … all that filtered down to the Acura line.
Well, not any more. This is something different. Now that I have seen and driven one, I‘m really starting to understand the importance of this new “exclusive platform” and what that really means.

This TLX is like the Honda’s and Acura’s from 10 years ago (heavy, safe, sturdy, quality) but with today’s technology (like a new loaded Audi) but with more of a Japanese luxury feel (that many of us have been yearning for). Still conservative, but not as much as before. No, it’s not perfect, but they seem to be heading in a better direction now. New vehicles (especially premium ones) have gotten so expensive, but I think Acura is trying to deliver nice cars while still staying profitable and in business.

Glad you enjoyed your test drive and that you haven't wavered too much from your original plan in the mist of some harsh chatter surrounding this vehicle. As I implied before, this TLX takes almost everything good about my 4G TL and makes it great and as MT aptly stated, "Appreciate the 2021 Acura TLX for its many strengths, but don't dwell too much on the numbers."
Tesla1856 (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot of reviews, and every one defines itself in compromise. "Nice car, but...", and sure, no car hits every mark. But the decision to buy the 2G depends on your experience with the brand and the category you fall in, fanboy, loyalist, or realist. Since my TLX is my first Acura and I'm a sedan vs SUV/crossover guy, the added length and weight, switch to a turbo with undesirable (for me) power delivery, and significant increase in cost vs value ratio, likely killed any future purchase in the brand for me. I'd probably love the Type-S if all options were available (again, compromise), but I walked away from an S5 Sportback because I'm not in the market for a $55-60K car.
I hear you.
But the only compromise I see is the engine. And really, I think that's only because everyone has moved to Turbos instead of (unfortunately usually higher maintenance) Super-Changers.
But all these Premium AWD mid-sized sedans (TLX, Audi-A4, BMW, MB ) come with 4-cylinder-Turbos instead of a (usually lower HP) NA-V6 . I was even thinking of not-selling my 240-hp V6-Accord ... but really ... when will I ever drive it when I have a new TLX or A4 to drive?

Personally, I'm trying to forget the subconscious $50k barrier. It's just a number and I think we passed it a few years ago.

Being realistic, I wanted to spend around $45k.
But now that we are spoiled with Audi-Q5e-Prestige (yes, wife is spoiled too and agrees) ... add 10% for Acura-Advance (or A4-Prestige + Ventilated-Seats)
So now we are at $50k.
If you want a V6 (like TLX-Type-S or Audi-S4) ... that's going to cost another 10% ($5,000) .
An extra 10-20% is not a fortune to get what you want (aka spending your hard-earned money on).

And yes, when you are truly Buying/Financing it's a major decision. Unless you are wealthy, I think that is why many Lease when you get this high. Just accept the fact (and budget) that you are going to have a car-payment for the next 10 years. But instead of 1 car, you will be driving 3 new cars during that time. However, you can also Buy and sell/trade early. If you take good-care of your cars (do maintenance, don't scrape, trash, or crash it) ... these premium cars tend to retain their values fairly well.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

1. I'm a sedan vs SUV/crossover guy,

2. the added length and weight,
1. So am I. Actually, I'd still be driving large-coupes if I could, but I can only fit 2 cars in garage. Luckily, the wife likes sedans also sometimes, we we get to have one of each.

2. You know everyone (including Acura) keeps talking about dimensions. When I first saw it, it looks normal (if anything low and sleek). Not a big car, and not long-hooded. I think the extra width makes it look lower and helps with the handling. Isn't it only a few hundred pounds heavier than others ? I've always thought of Acuras/Hondas as big/heavy/sturdy (in a good way) ... but maybe that is just me.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 10-23-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Well, the 2021 TLX Tech/SH-AWD (white/ebony) finally arrived at the dealer a few days ago. We went to go test drive it yesterday.
My first impression was that the TLX was low, sleek, and sporty-looking.

While the white is a metallic (not a pure white) it is very bright. We liked it. I guess everyone has their preferences on color, but I thought the white tends to show-off the lines and body work nicely. Then you have the black parts and a bit of chrome.
The 19-inch Sparkle Silver wheels look acceptable, but I think it might be because the car is white with chrome accents. Unless you look closely, they can almost pass for bare-alloy. It's SH-AWD so has the better Michelin tires.
I think the hood and fenders are one of those things that you have to see in person to really appreciate. The LED day-time running lights look cool, as do the tail-lights with the faint Acura branding. The simplified roof seams might go un-noticed (but we that know about the welding can still appreciate it).
The trunk seems average, but easy to use. I think it will (barely) hold the mother-in-law’s wheelchair. The battery in lower-trunk looked larger than a normal car battery. Our salesman said you could remove the gray styrofoam and insert a real (donut) spare in its place.
Engine compartment is color-matched painted, roomy, and only radiator in very front is covered with a (smaller) pop-off cover. There is a "hood open" sensor.

No wood in the Tech Package It is a bronze metallic-like material. Dash is low and hood looks long and sculptured while driving. Center console is high (but comfortable) and utility is good.
It will take some getting used-to reaching that far to change gears, but there is a special “brake-hold” button for red-lights and drive-thrus.
Touch-Pad takes some getting used to (remember to use corners). Main screen has good image. You can usually see 2-things at once (with a 70/30 split-screen). Seats are very comfortable and adjustable (even front passenger’s).
The gauges look nice, flat, and easy to read ... and with the LCD wrapping-around them in the middle … the whole thing almost looks fully digital.
Even the Tech-Package has Iconic-Drive and Ambient LED light-strips.
For some reason, HomeLink was moved to bottom of (rimless) rear-view mirror, but Acura-Link and other-stuff is still on roof console.
Sound system sounded fine, but I just played some local (strong) FM-HD as we had many things to evaluate and test.
Steering-wheel is manual (fully) adjustable, but driver-seat powers-back when you un-lock car to allow easy entry (and then moves to old preset location).
The back-seat seemed fine to us (about the same as the old Accord and acceptable). It’s really just us now-days and neither one of us are considered tall.

I brought-up Individual Mode (seemed to impress salesman) and set all to Sport, Idle-Stop off. All settings survive turning-off car.
We got to take it out by ourselves, for a 30 minute test-drive.
In both Engine=Sport & Normal … if you floor-it from stand-still you don't move very quick/far for first 0.5 seconds or so. But once the RPMs rise, you take off pretty quick (so hang on). Hesitation in not the right word … It’s more like “spooling up”. You should not have a problem turning-out into-traffic in front of someone (at least I didn’t). You will be going forward, and by the time you get the wheel straighten-out, you are going to be picking-up speed no problem. It launches like a family-car not a sports-car. I was wondering why wheels never “spun out” but in retrospect, I realize I forgot to experiment with traction-control OFF.
Acceleration from 30-70mph (like for passing or getting on highway) was not great but it was acceptable. 90 feels sturdy and safe and more like 70 in the old Accord.
Brakes work fine and have a good feel (not over-sensitive nor weak). On extreme tests, we felt the seat-belts tighten to hold us back in seats. Stopping distance seemed correct.
SH-AWD feels very planted and non-slip in curves. The rear-end responds almost independently and I think that is why some call a "wormy” feeling. Steering and handling is very good. My wife was the passenger (so I didn’t drive it like a mad-man) but I did push it a bit and I never heard the tires squeal. You can do a (simulated) emergency lane-change at highway speed and it feels controlled and safe. Lane keeping, blind-spot, sign-recognition, super-cruise … all the AcuraWatch stuff I tested worked fine. It will steer and follow by itself, but it will complain if you leave your hands off the steering-wheel for too long.
Turning radius is kinda wide so I hope it is not hard to park (but all the sensors should help). The parking-sensors all have 2-3 levels and it shows on screen.
Normally, the ride is very good (even in Sport) but other modes are softer. Cabin noise is good ( it is very quiet inside). Bad roads and speed-bumps are not a problem. When in Engine=Sport you do get the piped-in Engine noises. They aren’t as bad as I imagined, but I think I would rather them off most of the time. They make me feel like I am racing/rev-ing the engine more than I really am. Using one of the other Engine Modes seemed to lessen them.

In the black Advance, the dash and leather seats are different and better looking ( contrasting-stitching and maybe different materials). Only THESE side mirrors are power-folding, dimmable, surround camera capable, and puddle-lights equipped. Yes, the Surround-Cams help with parking. The Hud looked fine (but did not drive this one or see in full sun). The (black) ventilated seats felt great in a Texas-sun heated car. The wife and I definitely liked the Advance model better (we thought the extras were worth the extra $5000 or 10% ) … as the Tech is $45,000 already anyway … it’s only money right?

Like any nice new (premium brand) sedan … it was very nice. High-Tech Japanese luxury style inside and sleek & sporty outside. They were both priced at full MSRP (+ $500 for special paint + $1025 destination), but there was a $1000 discount (Loyalty or Conquest ). Just TTL (no strange extras/up-charges on pricing worksheets).

Now that we have seen the various ones, if we end-up buying one, I think it will be:
2021 TLX Advance SH-AWD White paint. Interior should have the dark-wood (with either Ebony or Espresso leather).
They have something like that already on pre-order (being built now), so we will see that in a month or so.

Now it’s time to go test drive a loaded 2021 Audi A4 and compare (while the TLX is still fresh in my mind).

2021 TLX Tech / SH-AWD

2021 TLX Tech / SH-AWD

2021 TLX Advance / SH-AWD
Im confused as to which model you drove. You started out saying the technology car. The way I read it only the advance has adjustable dampers. I certainly could be wrong though.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
1. So am I. Actually, I'd still be driving large-coupes if I could, but I can only fit 2 cars in garage. Luckily, the wife likes sedans also sometimes, we we get to have one of each.

2. You know everyone (including Acura) keeps talking about dimensions. When I first saw it, it looks normal (if anything low and sleek). Not a big car, and not long-hooded. I think the extra width makes it look lower and helps with the handling. Isn't it only a few hundred pounds heavier than others ? I've always thought of Acuras/Hondas as big/heavy/sturdy (in a good way) ... but maybe that is just me.
Historically, Hondas and Acuras have always been considerably lighter than the competition. They were always able to punch above their weight (literally) in terms of performance and efficiency by being lightweight. That's also one of the reasons older Acuras were never seen as luxury cars, because they were always quite tinny and just didn't feel substantial at all. Whereas German cars feel like they're carved out of a single block of steel, Japanese cars have always felt like it was welded together with tin cans.
SebringSilver (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 05:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jjsC5
I'm confused as to which model you drove. You started out saying the technology car. The way I read it only the advance has adjustable dampers. I certainly could be wrong though.
I drove the TLX with Tech-Package and SH-AWD. On that car, (in Individual Mode), there were multiple settings for Suspension.
What they actually do ... I can't really speak in detail to that.
I can tell you that the ride was good-to-acceptable the whole time, however I WAS frequently changing road-surface quality types and various IDS settings.

The two kinds of Dampers are listed here.
https://www.acurainfocenter.com/vehi...nefits/chassis

I only sat-in the Advance (toward the end of our visit) to observe the added Interior features.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Historically, Hondas and Acuras have always been considerably lighter than the competition.
Interesting. So it was just my perception. Figures, since I don't buy lots of cars.
It just always seemed like my old Accords and the 2014-MDX were "heavy and substantial"
compared to ...
my old Maxima-V6 and some Hyundai rentals I've had in the past.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:56 PM
2nd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Dissappointed

Looking to replace my '14 Accord V6 w/147k I test drove a 2021TLX AWD Tech yesterday. Love the look, love the interior, liked the steering and the brakes. Very comfortable with the Honda family "fit." Driving for 25 minutes I did notice a significant "lag" accelerating from stop and accelerating during travel even though I set it to "sport" first thing. Once the turbo (or the transmission) catches up the car's power is fine. Acceleration is strong and smooth--but the lag was very noticeable to me and incredibly annoying. The rear seat is a joke, but no different than other of the cars in this class. Given the exterior dimensions it is hard to understand why a few more inches couldn't be found. Most problematic for me was getting back into my well-used Accord and driving to the Audi dealership. My V6 pulls strong without lag. The A4 Premium Plus Quattro I drove really put the lag in perspective. Before driving the Audi I was concerned. I didn't think I was imagining it. The Acura just felt slow. The Audi makes the TLX a joke. Instant power. Consistent power. Plenty of power as soon as you press the pedal. The difference driving the two -- even with driving my Accord 8 miles in between -- was stunning.

The Audi interior is minimalist/spartan. I slightly prefer the TLX, but why the TLX doesn't have a touchscreen is beyond me. The Audi panel is so much easier to use. Every time I hit a bump in the TLX the cursor would move and I would have to get it back where I intended. This may improve with use, but it is an extra step that seems stupid when the touch tech is easily available. I did like the TLX seats better--probably just because I spend so much time in my Honda.

Initial internet price quotes had the Audi cheaper. The Acura salesperson told me that they were "dealing" however. I assume they would work out almost the same.

All in all I was disappointed. I really expected more. More sport, more tech, just "more." I will go back for a longer drive of the TLX, but, sadly, already think this is off the list.
The following 3 users liked this post by cjconrad:
ESHBG (10-24-2020), Jrvtecaccord (10-25-2020), RedOctober (10-24-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 06:17 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by cjconrad
Looking to replace my '14 Accord V6 w/147k I test drove a 2021TLX AWD Tech yesterday. Love the look, love the interior, liked the steering and the brakes. Very comfortable with the Honda family "fit." Driving for 25 minutes I did notice a significant "lag" accelerating from stop and accelerating during travel even though I set it to "sport" first thing. Once the turbo (or the transmission) catches up the car's power is fine. Acceleration is strong and smooth--but the lag was very noticeable to me and incredibly annoying. The rear seat is a joke, but no different than other of the cars in this class. Given the exterior dimensions it is hard to understand why a few more inches couldn't be found. Most problematic for me was getting back into my well-used Accord and driving to the Audi dealership. My V6 pulls strong without lag. The A4 Premium Plus Quattro I drove really put the lag in perspective. Before driving the Audi I was concerned. I didn't think I was imagining it. The Acura just felt slow. The Audi makes the TLX a joke. Instant power. Consistent power. Plenty of power as soon as you press the pedal. The difference driving the two -- even with driving my Accord 8 miles in between -- was stunning.

The Audi interior is minimalist/spartan. I slightly prefer the TLX, but why the TLX doesn't have a touchscreen is beyond me. The Audi panel is so much easier to use. Every time I hit a bump in the TLX the cursor would move and I would have to get it back where I intended. This may improve with use, but it is an extra step that seems stupid when the touch tech is easily available. I did like the TLX seats better--probably just because I spend so much time in my Honda.

Initial internet price quotes had the Audi cheaper. The Acura salesperson told me that they were "dealing" however. I assume they would work out almost the same.

All in all I was disappointed. I really expected more. More sport, more tech, just "more." I will go back for a longer drive of the TLX, but, sadly, already think this is off the list.
Honestly if you're looking to replace an aging Accord, give the 2020 TLX V6 Tech and higher (Tech, A-Spec, Advance, FWD or AWD) a test drive. There are INCREDIBLE closeout deals on the 2020, with V6 Techs going cheaper than Accord Tourings.

The rear seat on the 2020 seems more usable than the 2021. Although the legroom specs are similar, the overall space seems larger on the 2020. The 2020 also has touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Sure it's not as nice as the Audi, but at >25% off, the 2020 TLX is priced as mainstream sedan.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:48 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts

Test drove S4 the other day and there's also noticeable lag from the start, mind you it's very short before the car takes off like hell.... However, the AUDI is also cramped inside, TLX felt much roomier to me, especially in the front. I have not driven the 2nd Gen TLX but have a feeling the lag is the same as in the RDX which I agree is just awful, especially off the line. If you hit the gas pedal hard you just sit there which seems like an eternity. I could not handle this every day. Test drive 1st gen TLX.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
Looking to replace my '14 Accord V6 w/147k I test drove a 2021TLX AWD Tech yesterday. Love the look, love the interior, liked the steering and the brakes. Very comfortable with the Honda family "fit." Driving for 25 minutes I did notice a significant "lag" accelerating from stop and accelerating during travel even though I set it to "sport" first thing. Once the turbo (or the transmission) catches up the car's power is fine. Acceleration is strong and smooth--but the lag was very noticeable to me and incredibly annoying. The rear seat is a joke, but no different than other of the cars in this class. Given the exterior dimensions it is hard to understand why a few more inches couldn't be found.
I totally understand your disappointment. J35 V6 delivers smooth/linear power that in-line turbo simply cannot match. It is really all about expectation - once you get used to the different power characteristics, you will like it more. If you want to give TLX a second chance, try find a higher-mileage one (in the hundred) for your second test drive. Low-mileage K20c can feel sluggish.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:59 PM
2nd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
Honestly if you're looking to replace an aging Accord, give the 2020 TLX V6 Tech and higher (Tech, A-Spec, Advance, FWD or AWD) a test drive. There are INCREDIBLE closeout deals on the 2020, with V6 Techs going cheaper than Accord Tourings.

The rear seat on the 2020 seems more usable than the 2021. Although the legroom specs are similar, the overall space seems larger on the 2020. The 2020 also has touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Sure it's not as nice as the Audi, but at >25% off, the 2020 TLX is priced as mainstream sedan.
Thank you. I had driven a 2019 TLX V6 over a year ago and didn't pull the trigger because there was really no difference over the Accord. I had been hoping to "upgrade" after my last kid graduated college this spring, but I put so many miles on my cars I have always been unwilling to go really large. With the demise of the V6 Accord and not willing to shell out 50k, you raise an interesting option.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
Test drove S4 the other day and there's also noticeable lag from the start, mind you it's very short before the car takes off like hell.... However, the AUDI is also cramped inside, TLX felt much roomier to me, especially in the front. I have not driven the 2nd Gen TLX but have a feeling the lag is the same as in the RDX which I agree is just awful, especially off the line. If you hit the gas pedal hard you just sit there which seems like an eternity. I could not handle this every day. Test drive 1st gen TLX.
You know what’s even worse than the lag you feel in the RDX/TLX from a dead stop? It’s the even more pronounced lag you feel when you’re coming to a stop (but haven’t stoppped entirely) and you want to get back on the gas. It’s absolutely brutal and quite possibly dangerous.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:00 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyfever
I totally understand your disappointment. J35 V6 delivers smooth/linear power that in-line turbo simply cannot match. It is really all about expectation - once you get used to the different power characteristics, you will like it more. If you want to give TLX a second chance, try find a higher-mileage one (in the hundred) for your second test drive. Low-mileage K20c can feel sluggish.
Seriously recommend giving the 2020 TLX V6 Tech and above a test drive. I went from a similar V6 Accord to a 2020 TLX V6 Tech PAWS and am really happy with my TLX. It is an upgrade all around vs. Accord with the same smooth J35 V6 engine. The seats are much more comfortable, much less road noise, and much better audio.

Would I buy the 2020 TLX for $42k? Heck no, but for ~$31k, I'm very happy with it. Closeout deals priced it below many mainstream vehicles, making it an excellent value for what it is. Maybe the deals are even better now. 0-60 in 5.7 seconds with no turbo lag. Transmission in the 2020 is smooth.

Last edited by AcuraGuy2016; 10-24-2020 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts
Interesting. So it was just my perception. Figures, since I don't buy lots of cars.
It just always seemed like my old Accords and the 2014-MDX were "heavy and substantial"
compared to ...
my old Maxima-V6 and some Hyundai rentals I've had in the past.

It's not your perception, Acura's typically weight within ~5% percent (in both lighter and heavier) of their German counterparts.

Here's a 3G TL(3483 Lbs), E39 5 Series (3307 Lbs), and Mercedes E class W211 (3406 Lbs) all of the same era in the early 2000's.

https://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-co...ss-(W211).html

Here's a 2G Legend (3616 Lbs) compared to the 2G BMW 7-series (3748 Lbs).

https://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-co...-7-Series.html

It's a myth to think Acura's from the early 90's to current are significantly lighter than the similar sized/capacity German cars/SUV's
Alot also deals with car configuration but most unibody cars are designed with similar mechanical engineering CAD/CAE tools, structural engineering elements, assembly and materials (newer high tensile steel alloys changed car structures in the mid/late 90's) so it's not much of a surprise.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 10-24-2020 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:21 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
You know what’s even worse than the lag you feel in the RDX/TLX from a dead stop? It’s the even more pronounced lag you feel when you’re coming to a stop (but haven’t stoppped entirely) and you want to get back on the gas. It’s absolutely brutal and quite possibly dangerous.
I'm glad i'm not the only one. It makes me really mad sometimes.. i always say bad words when it happens. And you press the pedal and keep pressing and by the time it starts going it sends more power than you intended because your foot it is half throttle.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
It's not your perception, Acura's typically weight within ~5% percent (in both lighter and heavier) of their German counterparts.

Here's a 3G TL(3483 Lbs), E39 5 Series (3307 Lbs), and Mercedes E class W211 (3406 Lbs) all of the same era in the early 2000's.

Here's a 2G Legend (3616 Lbs) compared to the 2G BMW 7-series (3748 Lbs).

https://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-co...-7-Series.html

It's a myth to think Acura's from the early 90's to current are significantly lighter than the similar sized/capacity German cars/SUV's
Alot also deals with car configuration but most unibody cars are designed with similar mechanical engineering CAD/CAE tools, structural engineering elements, assembly and materials (newer high tensile steel alloys changed car structures in the mid/late 90's) so it's not much of a surprise.
You might want to check the numbers; the ones from ultimate specs doesn't match up with the numbers from anywhere else. For instance, it claims a W211 E320 weights only 3406lb, but everywhere else says it's over 3600lb. Also, it doesn't seem particularly accurate to compare the 3G TL to the E39 seeing as how they're not of the same era...the E39 was already done by the time the 3G TL was introduced; a fairer comparison would be the E60.

I still contend that most Acuras (and Japanese cars) tend to weigh less than the American and German cars of similar size. For instance, the Acura Vigor weighs 3200lb. A smaller W124 E320 weighs 3525lb, and an even smaller E34 525i weighs 3483lb.

Last edited by fiatlux; 10-24-2020 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:00 PM
Pro

Based on your test drive it appears the car won’t fit your needs. I do have a question though, what exactly do you mean when you refer to a cursor on the infotainment system? The system does not employ a cursor. Nonetheless if hitting a bump resulted in your moving from one app to another you most likely had something that was resting on the touch pad.

Just a suggestion if you drive the car again try using the middle portion of the gas pedal and apply firm even pressure.

Yes, in comfort and normal the transmission can be caught sleeping every now and then, though it is never dangerous. That behavior pretty much disappears in sport or in individual with all sport setting and the engine set to normal. As to the turbo lag from stop it’s nowhere near as long as you perceived. If I was the car could never turn a 6 second 0-60.

Last edited by Honda430; 10-24-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Based on your test drive it appears the car won’t fit your needs. I do have a question though, what exactly do you mean when you refer to a cursor on the infotainment system? The system does not employ a cursor. Nonetheless if hitting a bump resulted in your moving from one app to another you most likely had something that was resting on the touch pad.

Just a suggestion if you drive the car again try using the middle portion of the gas pedal and apply firm even pressure.

Yes, in comfort and normal the transmission can be caught sleeping every now and then, though it is never dangerous. That behavior pretty much disappears in sport or in individual with all sport setting and the engine set to normal. As to the turbo lag from stop it’s nowhere near as long as you perceived. If I was the car could never turn a 6 second 0-60.
How can you say this. Depending on what else someone has driven the lag could feel excessive. For someone used to slow cars it might feel just right or even quick. For someone used to quick turbo cars it might feel like a doggy.

"If I was the car could never turn a 6 second 0-60." ??
Not sure what you are saying here.

Personal opinion you should not have to go to sport mode to get a smooth quick transmission shifting gears without hunting for the right gear. That is just poor programing. Seems like Honda has had transmission issues going back to the last century.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:58 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
How can you say this. Depending on what else someone has driven the lag could feel excessive. For someone used to slow cars it might feel just right or even quick. For someone used to quick turbo cars it might feel like a doggy.

"If I was the car could never turn a 6 second 0-60." ??
Not sure what you are saying here.

Personal opinion you should not have to go to sport mode to get a smooth quick transmission shifting gears without hunting for the right gear. That is just poor programing. Seems like Honda has had transmission issues going back to the last century.
I don’t know. I kinda concluded if you were waiting 2 seconds for the turbo to kick in it would be difficult to reach 60 from that point in 6 seconds. I might be wrong since I’m simply using deductive reasoning here. I will acknowledge something, the poster said he was driving a 2014 Accord V6. I’ve driven that car and the engine was way too much for that suspension. If you’ve tamed that beast a well sorted out vehicle would probably seem a bit boring.

As to the TLX transmission most people seem to believe that it shifts well enough. I guess the usage problem would be if you couldn’t set it up in sport.

I defer to your expertise. I would suppose though if one wanted a sports car he wouldn’t be looking at a TLX. The car is a very capable DD that rides and handles very well. It fits my needs where a 340i, to use as an example, would be a bit of overkill and much more car than I can afford. Unfortunately for some of us life is about compromises.

Last edited by Honda430; 10-25-2020 at 01:08 AM.
BEAR-AvHistory (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 01:16 AM
Safety Car

I don’t know. I kinda concluded if you were waiting 2 seconds for the turbo to kick in it would be difficult to reach 60 from that point in 6 seconds. I might be wrong since I’m simply using deductive reasoning here. I will acknowledge something, the poster said he was driving a 2014 Accord V6. I’ve driven that car and the engine was way too much for that suspension. If you’ve tamed that beast a well sorted out vehicle would probably seem a bit boring.

As to the TLX transmission most people seem to believe that it shifts well enough. I guess the usage problem would be if you couldn’t set it up in sport.

I defer to your expertise. I would suppose though if one wanted a sports car he wouldn’t be looking at a TLX. The car is a very capable DD that rides and handles very well. It fits my needs where a 340i, to use as an example, would be a bit of overkill and much more car than I can afford. Unfortunately for some of us life is about compromises.
All the 0-60 tests are done by brake torqueing, which allows the turbos to spool up to eliminate turbo lag (er, technically, to get it past the boost threshold) before you even start the timer. However, in the real world, I doubt many of us would be that abusive to our car, and we're more likely to just stomp on the accelerator after we take our foot off the brakes. In that case, the engine does need to rev a bit before the turbos start to spool up. It's not that bad in the TLX compared to some of the older small displacement turbos, but it's not particularly great either (especially compared to Audi's EA888s), and it's certainly noticeably worse than in a V6.

Last edited by fiatlux; 10-25-2020 at 01:19 AM.
BEAR-AvHistory (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 03:23 AM
Burning Brakes

1. Looking to replace my '14 Accord V6 w/147k
Most problematic for me was getting back into my well-used Accord and driving to the Audi dealership. My V6 pulls strong without lag.

2. I test drove a 2021TLX AWD Tech yesterday.
Love the look,
love the interior,
liked the steering
and the brakes.
Very comfortable with the Honda family "fit."

3. I did like the TLX seats better--probably just because I spend so much time in my Honda. The Audi interior is minimalist/spartan.

4. Driving for 25 minutes I did notice a significant "lag" accelerating from stop and accelerating during travel even though I set it to "sport" first thing. Once the turbo (or the transmission) catches up the car's power is fine. Acceleration is strong and smooth--but the lag was very noticeable to me and incredibly annoying.

5. The A4 Premium Plus Quattro I drove really put the lag in perspective. Before driving the Audi I was concerned. I didn't think I was imagining it. The Acura just felt slow. The Audi makes the TLX a joke. Instant power. Consistent power. Plenty of power as soon as you press the pedal. The difference driving the two -- even with driving my Accord 8 miles in between -- was stunning.

6. but why the TLX doesn't have a touchscreen is beyond me. The Audi panel is so much easier to use. Every time I hit a bump in the TLX the cursor would move and I would have to get it back where I intended. This may improve with use, but it is an extra step that seems stupid when the touch tech is easily available.
1. Our Accord's (with NA V6's ) have spoiled us. If yours had less miles (and could drive/stop itself and had closer to 2020 tech) I would be temped to offer to buy it from you.

2. Agreed. Without comparing, those statements are true to me also.

3. Yes, they are very nice. Try the Audi ventilated seats. That's just German luxury interior compared to Japanese luxury.

4. Yes, it has some turbo-lag (0.5-1.0 seconds depending on various settings and conditions). I've been trying to excuse it in various ways (see my recent posts). I don't race around too much, but I do need to safely pull-out into traffic and pass.

5. I haven't made it to the Audi dealership yet. At least it sounds like I don't have to upgrade to the S4 to match my V6 Accord . Yes, I've considered it. Might be a good way to spend an extra $10k. But then, I would be further obligated to keep it 8-10 years.

6. It does take some getting used to. But I don't think its the missing Touch-Screen capability because the Knob (and 2 toggle-switches) in our Q5-e also works fine ... and very easy to use while driving.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
You might want to check the numbers; the ones from ultimate specs doesn't match up with the numbers from anywhere else. For instance, it claims a W211 E320 weights only 3406lb, but everywhere else says it's over 3600lb. Also, it doesn't seem particularly accurate to compare the 3G TL to the E39 seeing as how they're not of the same era...the E39 was already done by the time the 3G TL was introduced; a fairer comparison would be the E60.

I still contend that most Acuras (and Japanese cars) tend to weigh less than the American and German cars of similar size. For instance, the Acura Vigor weighs 3200lb. A smaller W124 E320 weighs 3525lb, and an even smaller E34 525i weighs 3483lb.
Links for those?

As for the Vigor, which one? A GS can weight 3150 LS or 3212 GS https://www.edmunds.com/acura/vigor/...eatures-specs/

As I pointed out
Alot also deals with car configuration
which means while dimensions tend to stay mostly static on cars for a particular generation, weight varies some for options, trim packages, and sometimes country.
Add in that models from different don't necessary overlap from one to another in terms of size.

I happened to point out two close comparisons for close models but here's the E60 and it still weights less than the TL which didn't surprise me since the E60 used alot of lightweight aluminum front structural frame that was bonded to the steel uni-body from the firewall
back however here's Edmunds data which tend to be US models only

https://www.edmunds.com/car-comparis...veh3=100444949

TL - 3482
5 - 3472
E - 3691

What's interesting to note is the TL is smallest of the threes sedans yet still weights more.

Here's another source of data, in all metric and does not exactly match up with the above data but again proves the fact that the Acura is fairly close in weight to the 5 and E classes.

https://www.auto-data.net/en/compare...7&carId3=28170

As for Ultimatespecs data, I'm not gonna check all their data but did spot check their 3G TL 6MT and it's weight number match up with Acura press release for that model, 3483lbs.

Car and Driver did a comparison tests (unfortunately the comparison data sheet is gone from even archive.org) in 2005 for a variety of the top luxury sport sedans BUT used the Acura RL to compare to the 5 and E and the RL was ~4000lb which was more than the E and 5 series.

Again models from different manufacturers don't always lines up but the myth that Acura's weight significantly less is not true using real data that's available.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 10-25-2020 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I drove the TLX with Tech-Package and SH-AWD. On that car, (in Individual Mode), there were multiple settings for Suspension.
What they actually do ... I can't really speak in detail to that.
I can tell you that the ride was good-to-acceptable the whole time, however I WAS frequently changing road-surface quality types and various IDS settings.

The two kinds of Dampers are listed here.
https://www.acurainfocenter.com/vehi...nefits/chassis

I only sat-in the Advance (toward the end of our visit) to observe the added Interior features.
I had read that it had that “amplitude” suspension but didn’t know what it meant. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Had my first chance to see one up close at Costco low price program area in our local store. Was white a color I have never & will never buy but it still looked very nice. Will agree its pretty big but that seems to be outside of the cockpit section of the structure. Inside is a tight fit for the rear seats. Was the current high end version & Interior look is very nice some of it reminds me of my 440.

Think they will have issues with the pricing structure, hard to see $50K OTD in it. They are trying to sell a mid level version for more than their top end generation 1 V6 SHAWD. Acura does not IMO have the brand status recognition to be successful in pulling that off.

Be interesting to see how it works out for them.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jjsC5
I had read that it had that “amplitude” suspension but didn’t know what it meant. Thanks.
Marketing speak for a duel piston single shaft shock absorber. Pistons are stacked one above another on the shaft. One piston fits softly to filter light vibrations while the other is the main piston & fits tight to filter heavy vibrations.

The tech has been around for awhile. Oehlins Racing filed for a patent in 2008 got approved in 2014. Expect Honda is using something similar or has a license for the shock if it makes them itself.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-25-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:15 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Pricing is way off. I see the same units sitting at my local dealership. Given that sedans are a dying breed mixed with Covid and economy not doing well they have no choice but to start discounting them. Let's see how long it takes them...
lindros2 (10-26-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 10:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dmski
Test drove S4 the other day and there's also noticeable lag from the start, mind you it's very short before the car takes off like hell....
Please define "very short" time in seconds.
Was that a 2021 Audi S4 ?
IIRC, the proper Mode is Dynamic. Also, did you have Idle-Stop turned off ?
Not sure about S4, but the A4 is significantly upgraded between 2020 and 2021. Does the 2021-S4 also have the new 12v Mild-Hybrid system?

Reason I ask is because @cjconrad says this about the (less powerful and cheaper)
2021 Audi A4 45-TFSI Quattro Premium-Plus (Mild Hybrid)
"The A4 Premium Plus Quattro I drove really put the (2021 TLX) lag in perspective. The Acura just felt slow. The Audi makes the TLX a joke. Instant power. Consistent power. Plenty of power as soon as you press the pedal."

Also, in Raiti's review of older 2020 S4, you don't really see any turbo-lag, nor does he mention any. In fact, he says "on throttle" and car takes off and he's doing 80 seconds later.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 10-25-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Please define "very short" time in seconds.
Was that a 2021 Audi S4 ?
IIRC, the proper Mode is Dynamic. Also, did you have Idle-Stop turned off ?
Not sure about S4, but the A4 is significantly upgraded between 2020 and 2021. Does the 2021-S4 also have the new 12v Mild-Hybrid system?

Reason I ask is because @cjconrad says this about the (less powerful and cheaper)
2021 Audi A4 45-TFSI Quattro Premium-Plus (Mild Hybrid)
"The A4 Premium Plus Quattro I drove really put the (2021 TLX) lag in perspective. The Acura just felt slow. The Audi makes the TLX a joke. Instant power. Consistent power. Plenty of power as soon as you press the pedal."

Also, in Raiti's review of older 2020 S4, you don't really see any turbo-lag, nor does he mention any. In fact, he says "on throttle" and car takes off and he's doing 80 seconds later.
Think idle stop is a major point when talking about lag from a standing start. Engine is dead & turbo is free wheeling if it has not in fact spun all the way down depending on how long the light was red. On the road for a pass its pure lag if there is a pause before you get boost.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Test Drive Impressions