8sp DCT Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ That is really unfortunate. Hopefully they can solve your problems once and for all.

Someone I knew really well and that I respected greatly told me (when the new MDX came out) that he was getting really worried by seeing the type of problems being experienced by owners and how he quality had gone down. He told me that he would not sell me one even if I begged him and told me to wait at least a year for "the glue to dry" on the TLX before getting one....Looks like he may have been on to something.

This was from a guy that I respect TREMENDOUSLY and for which has never steered me wrong about any of my Acura experience. I know these experiences are not affecting everyone but I seem to read more problems on the TLX/MDX than I did with the ILX/RDX.
The RLX are so few that it is hard to get a good sense of where their reliability sits....
The following users liked this post:
ITdude (02-11-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrior 6
Update: 2/8/15: Car at Nalley Service since 2/5/15, Service Manager states they are working with Tech Line to resolve the issue, shooting for pickup on Wednesday of this coming week. Personally, think they are blowing smoke and walking circles, and ACURA has no clue how to remedy this issue. The company should be ashamed of themselves for selling a car that was not through the entire Easy Bake Oven process.....as stated earlier, will endure these required steps of resolution to four trips to fix, and if they cannot have secured a lawyer and we will be exercising the Lemon Law of the State of Georgia and ACURA can have this awful car back. Will let you know what develops, driving a 3.5 with 9spd trans, and it also shifts horribly. Just Damn!!
I understand your frustration, but why post in the 8sp transmission thread (as well as the correct thread)?
Old 02-08-2015, 06:57 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Because his TLX has a 8sp transmission! It is his loaner TLX that is v6 with 9sp.
Warrior 6 (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 09:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
car is finally back

So, after 8 days in the shop, finally got my car back. I've had it 3 days now, and I will say it is noticeably better so far. They performed 2 software updates, and idle learn after (the idle speed was way off previously so this needed to be done either way). The numbers on my paper work are 3677500 and DFA550/37805-RDF-A55. The first one they say did little, the second seems to have done some good. They also guarantee me that another update is yet to come this month, even though the second one just came out the 2nd of February. Its from techline direct and is exclusive to the clutch.

Driving the car feels better. (one note: Denver is having all time record highs and some things seem related to cold so the weather isn't helping with an apples to apples vs when I bought it in. car went in when it was 20 degree highs and now we are in the 70s). three straight days from r to d with no clunk, no delay. Shifting is smooth through the gears in all driving modes.

The only complaints I still have are (and they may be me being hypersensitive now):
1. when starting out in sport mode from a stop the car really takes off and lurches forward. This could be just sport mode but it didn't used to do this. normal and econ are fine.
2. when coasting at about 35 mph and then pressing the gas hard the car seems pretty confused. there's a long delay, the rpms go up, it down shifts and then jumps forward.
3. There is also some play in the gas pedal before the car responds . This seems like a throttle response item, and may also be contributing to items above.

Overall the trans is no longer clunking or missing or scaring me to death. If the car drove like this I probably wouldn't have taken it in and just thought its the cars characteristics. Now that im hyper sensitive I notice them.

I'm really really wanting some cold weather however, as the car started out in august pretty well and deteriorated as the weather got colder. I've also noted some people have said the car works better after the updates and then goes downhill again. So i'll keep everyone posted as time progresses and after the mid February software update. but crossing my fingers for now.
The following 3 users liked this post by colohusker:
jeremyw (02-10-2015), sstfnv (02-10-2015), tlxsteve (02-10-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Good to hear, I too have the clunk from reverse to drive (sometimes especially when it's cold weather). I have 80% oil life left and waiting to see if any new updates come out, before I bring it in. Please keep us posted.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:45 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Good to hear, colohusker. It's refreshing to have someone give an update when there's an improvement, rather than just drop a bombshell and abandon it. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:30 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by colohusker
They also guarantee me that another update is yet to come this month, even though the second one just came out the 2nd of February. Its from techline direct and is exclusive to the clutch.

three straight days from r to d with no clunk, no delay.

Anyone who thinks Acura doesn't care about the issues really needs to think about how many updates we've read about over the past couple months. It looks to me like they're really scrambling to address this - hopefully it's just a matter of time before they hit the magic update.

Also - do I read this correctly that you no longer have the 3 second delay while shifting from R to D?
The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
Stew4HD (02-10-2015), tlxsteve (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Autoweek tests the ILX

Agreed it looks like they worked on it, good results apparently.
"The eight-speed dual-clutch performed beautifully in slow speed situations, thanks in most part to also having a torque converter, and when you’re really on it running through the gears using the steering wheel paddles. Shift response is quick and gear changes are close to seamless. Audi’s S-tronic is a smidge smoother and quicker in operation, but the Acura unit is right there, which is comforting after experiencing some hiccups in a TLX test car we had in Detroit a couple months back."
2016 Acura ILX drive review | Autoweek
Old 02-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Intermediate

Also - do I read this correctly that you no longer have the 3 second delay while shifting from R to D?[/QUOTE]

Correct. Very Small delay but nothing like it used to be (not 3 seconds) and nothing a typical car wouldn't have. Put it in drive and it's ready.
The following 2 users liked this post by colohusker:
jim256 (02-11-2015), tlxsteve (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 05:59 PM
Instructor

2. when coasting at about 35 mph and then pressing the gas hard the car seems pretty confused. there's a long delay, the rpms go up, it down shifts and then jumps forward.

3. There is also some play in the gas pedal before the car responds . This seems like a throttle response item, and may also be contributing to items above.
As you have two TCM software updates on your car and I have only one, it is worth to do a comparison to see what incrementally Acura has changed with the second update. I assume that the first one was released by Acura in early Jan/late Dec which I currently have; the second one is the most recent release on 02/02.

For your item 2, I am having the same problem. When coasting at 35 mph, engine rpm is around 14k. Press gas pedal reasonably hard to accelerate, engine revs to 30 to 35k but my TLX's speed does not seem to change at all. The transmission does not seem to know which gear to downshift to and this causes a 2-second delay. This indicates Acura's most recent update (02/02) has not resolved this problem.

For your item 3, are you on ECON mode? my TLX's throttle response is fairly good in the Normal mode and very responsive in the SPORT mode. It is not responsive in the ECON mode. However, I think this is by design. If after the second update, you have lost sensitivity of the throttle response in the NORMAL and SPORT modes, then there is a problem--perhaps ACURA's latest attempt to fix has sacrificed throttle response.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2/2 TCM software update

So, after 8 days in the shop, finally got my car back. I've had it 3 days now, and I will say it is noticeably better so far. They performed 2 software updates, and idle learn after (the idle speed was way off previously so this needed to be done either way). The numbers on my paper work are 3677500 and DFA550/37805-RDF-A55. The first one they say did little, the second seems to have done some good. They also guarantee me that another update is yet to come this month, even though the second one just came out the 2nd of February. Its from techline direct and is exclusive to the clutch.

Driving the car feels better. (one note: Denver is having all time record highs and some things seem related to cold so the weather isn't helping with an apples to apples vs when I bought it in. car went in when it was 20 degree highs and now we are in the 70s). three straight days from r to d with no clunk, no delay. Shifting is smooth through the gears in all driving modes.

The only complaints I still have are (and they may be me being hypersensitive now):
1. when starting out in sport mode from a stop the car really takes off and lurches forward. This could be just sport mode but it didn't used to do this. normal and econ are fine.

Overall the trans is no longer clunking or missing or scaring me to death. If the car drove like this I probably wouldn't have taken it in and just thought its the cars characteristics. Now that im hyper sensitive I notice them.

I'm really really wanting some cold weather however, as the car started out in august pretty well and deteriorated as the weather got colder. I've also noted some people have said the car works better after the updates and then goes downhill again. So i'll keep everyone posted as time progresses and after the mid February software update. but crossing my fingers for now.
I took my car in yesterday to get the latest TCM update released on 2/2/15, and waited for 2 1/2 hours while they updated my car and did the clutch re-learn process. I was hesitant to post this so soon after the update, but feeling such positive results I wanted to give you all some hope.

I have driven my car three times today, and two of those times it had sat for at least 6 hours or overnight. So far, it feels a lot better. I have not felt the harsh shifting when it is cold, and it did not clunk when shifting from R to D, as it has everyday for the past couple of weeks. The delay from R to D is also much better, and I would say not any different from any other automatic now. These observations are of course after only one day of driving, but I'm hopeful that they are on the right track in resolving some of these problems.

The technician working on my car, also mentioned that Acura is planing another update this month. Time will tell if these symptoms return, but for the time being, it seems it has greatly improved. I have been driving in "normal" IDS mode since I took it home, so I haven't had a chance to test the other modes.
The following 4 users liked this post by NRS78:
gottatlx (02-16-2015), jeremyw (02-11-2015), quantum7 (02-11-2015), sstfnv (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 07:56 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Great news and promising indeed. I just hope the patch last and will be applied to all TLX owners having these issues. It is encouraging that most of these issues are more software related than hardware....I say most, not all (referring to the inspection recall)
Old 02-10-2015, 07:56 PM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same update as well. Feels good but is it possible for symptoms to return? This update feels much better than any other update so far.
sstfnv (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 09:58 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Well having access to updates being a Honda tech. My 1st update felt like the best one. It shifted great. No lurching, immediate downshifts, etc. Then when I saw 2nd update in early Feb, I applied it. It lurched 2-3 times when coming to a stop (like I got rear ended) right after the update. Downshifts are slow to respond again. But how can I know this until after the updates. I can't go back to update 1. I'll try the next update of coarse. And I am going to try and get in touch with my Honda/Acura training instructors to see if they know of any fix.
tlxsteve (02-11-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 10:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jeremyw
As you have two TCM software updates on your car and I have only one, it is worth to do a comparison to see what incrementally Acura has changed with the second update. I assume that the first one was released by Acura in early Jan/late Dec which I currently have; the second one is the most recent release on 02/02.

For your item 2, I am having the same problem. When coasting at 35 mph, engine rpm is around 14k. Press gas pedal reasonably hard to accelerate, engine revs to 30 to 35k but my TLX's speed does not seem to change at all. The transmission does not seem to know which gear to downshift to and this causes a 2-second delay. This indicates Acura's most recent update (02/02) has not resolved this problem.

For your item 3, are you on ECON mode? my TLX's throttle response is fairly good in the Normal mode and very responsive in the SPORT mode. It is not responsive in the ECON mode. However, I think this is by design. If after the second update, you have lost sensitivity of the throttle response in the NORMAL and SPORT modes, then there is a problem--perhaps ACURA's latest attempt to fix has sacrificed throttle response.
Jeremyw - yes, you are correct, the first one they tried was the late December update. Did very little they say, but I never even got to try it as they kept it the hole time to try the next one. The 2/2 is the one that had more success.

From my perspective it's safe to say the second update does not resolve item 2. I drive in sport most of time which is why the delay bothers me. It really Jumps off the line from a stop, almost too quick like I said, but when ur moving/coasting its a good 2 seconds before it chooses to downshift and go if you really need it. It's a little tough to drive when one moment the car is hyper sensitive and the next its beyond sluggish.

Item 3...I'm now not sure this is throttle response. When coasting I can tap - soft press the gas a little and the rpms go up but the car doesn't react. The rpms indicate throttle response. Lack of reaction seems more like a mini version of item 2.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:19 AM
15 TLX Tech

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dutchy
Well having access to updates being a Honda tech. My 1st update felt like the best one. It shifted great. No lurching, immediate downshifts, etc. Then when I saw 2nd update in early Feb, I applied it. It lurched 2-3 times when coming to a stop (like I got rear ended) right after the update. Downshifts are slow to respond again. But how can I know this until after the updates. I can't go back to update 1. I'll try the next update of coarse. And I am going to try and get in touch with my Honda/Acura training instructors to see if they know of any fix.

I had the update installed mid-December. It seemed to help a little, but the downshifts from 2-1 are still very harsh, especially when the car is cold. I contacted Client Relations and they were aware of a software update coming out very soon. Let us know when the new update is released. I inquired with my Service Manager last week and he said it was rumored of another update as well.
tlxsteve (02-11-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 08:33 AM
Cruisin'

When i called the service dept they told me that there is no software update for 4cylinder DCT, yet i see here many have got the update. I can't wait to get the update done as my transmisson is performing worse than it used to.I think there is no service bulletin so i am trying to figure out if they have to search or call somewhere else to find out about this . Guide me plz. Thanks
Old 02-13-2015, 10:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Are you in the USA or Canada? Seems that Canada gets updates later.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:22 AM
Cruisin'

I am in USA. Maryland
Old 02-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Praj Prasai
When i called the service dept they told me that there is no software update for 4cylinder DCT, yet i see here many have got the update. I can't wait to get the update done as my transmisson is performing worse than it used to.I think there is no service bulletin so i am trying to figure out if they have to search or call somewhere else to find out about this . Guide me plz. Thanks
There is an update for the US. It was released on 2/2/15, however I don't think there is a TSB with it. Your dealership will need to contact Acura Techline, and open a ticket with them. The update will come through that. They may not know about it otherwise. I had the update installed on 2/9, and it is a significant improvement. I'm hoping it holds, and the previous issues don't return. So far so good.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dutchy
Dutchy - When the technician installed the latest update on my car on Monday, he said that it was very critical the transmission be at specific temperature range, and that if it got to hot, they would have to stop and let it cool down while it was going through the cluch re-learn procedure. Did you go through that process when you installed the latest update on your car?
Old 02-13-2015, 03:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NRS78
Dutchy - When the technician installed the latest update on my car on Monday, he said that it was very critical the transmission be at specific temperature range, and that if it got to hot, they would have to stop and let it cool down while it was going through the cluch re-learn procedure. Did you go through that process when you installed the latest update on your car?

No I just did the update to the PCM. I did not perform the re-learn procedure. I should try that next time though.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TSXtravis
I had the update installed mid-December. It seemed to help a little, but the downshifts from 2-1 are still very harsh, especially when the car is cold. I contacted Client Relations and they were aware of a software update coming out very soon. Let us know when the new update is released. I inquired with my Service Manager last week and he said it was rumored of another update as well.

Will let you know. I haven't seen anything yet.
TSXtravis (02-13-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 05:32 PM
RLTW!!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Update - 2/4/15: Working with my service adviser at Nalley Acura in Marietta, GA. They have opened a ticket with TECH LINE and they want the car there to start diagnosis. This whole process is like watching paint dry. My gut is telling me they do not have a clue......will keep you posted. Sure hope bdwpac81 and I are not starting a new Nalley Acura TLX fan club......
Update - 2/14/15: Dealership still has the car and is awaiting update via TECH LINE. No date set for receipt. Waiting................BTW, the I4 DCT loaner exhibits the same transmission woes, but not as severe as my TLX. Very strange.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:52 AM
Instructor

A quick update on the latest TCM update released on 2/2/15: I drove a loaner TLX (8-spd DCT) in the last few days which had the latest TCM update performed. Echoing NRS78, this is probably the best update so far. The loaner TLX's DCT transmission was smooth. Its shifting between the lower gears has much improved. I will post again next week after I get my TLX back which has been in the shop to perform this TCM update. It should not take this long. But I was unavailable to pick it up last Friday.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:41 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Update - 2/14/15: Dealership still has the car and is awaiting update via TECH LINE. No date set for receipt. Waiting................BTW, the I4 DCT loaner exhibits the same transmission woes, but not as severe as my TLX. Very strange.
Originally Posted by jeremyw
A quick update on the latest TCM update released on 2/2/15: I drove a loaner TLX (8-spd DCT) in the last few days which had the latest TCM update performed. Echoing NRS78, this is probably the best update so far. The loaner TLX's DCT transmission was smooth. Its shifting between the lower gears has much improved. I will post again next week after I get my TLX back which has been in the shop to perform this TCM update. It should not take this long. But I was unavailable to pick it up last Friday.
I think the wide variability in the performance of these transmissions has a lot to do with the lack of consistent clutch learn procedure. You can bet they are not doing this at the factory. The car just 'learns' however it does while being driven at all different temperatures and speeds and gears. They probably developed this detailed clutch setting procedure to remove as much of that variability as they could. They need to fix the root problem though, they can't do this will all TLX's.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:51 PM
Instructor

Update with my TLX's transmission (8-spd DCT) after PCM (TCM) software update (released on 2/2/15). I have driven my TLX for 4 days with mostly city driving. I can confidently say this is by far the best update with noticeable improvement. I recommend people experiencing abnormal transmission problems consult with their service adviser and ask for this update. I believe Acura has it in the service bulletin already. Below is the complete description from my invoice.

"PCM software 2235A2-223092-223099-03214 1.10 per super tech meeting updated TCM with new software and performed break in procedure. Test drove and car drove much better!!"

I hope this helps.
The following 3 users liked this post by jeremyw:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (02-20-2015), Warrior 6 (02-20-2015), wlkeel (02-20-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 12:26 PM
15 TLX Tech

Supposingly a new update is being released this week as per Acura Client Relations. The ACR person that I spoke with said he confirmed this with the engineers, however, dealers may not get the info until later this week. So I will hold off until Thur or Fri before I contact my Service Manager. He did say that this was a new software update from the one that was released earlier this month.

ACR said the update was specific to the harsh downshifts when the car is cold.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:36 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXtravis
Supposingly a new update is being released this week as per Acura Client Relations. The ACR person that I spoke with said he confirmed this with the engineers, however, dealers may not get the info until later this week. So I will hold off until Thur or Fri before I contact my Service Manager. He did say that this was a new software update from the one that was released earlier this month.

ACR said the update was specific to the harsh downshifts when the car is cold.
I just purchased my TLX last week and am glad I stumbled across this site, lots of great information.

Mine has a some of the symptoms others have described, but I feel like mine aren't as extreme (or maybe I just don't notice) as others, but am interested in the update.

Will this new update you mentioned coming this week include the fixes released on 2/2 or are they handled separately?

Also, is there a way to determine which version you are on yourself or does the dealer have to do that?
Old 02-23-2015, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I too would like to know if one did not get any of the earlier updates, does that effect how the upcoming update is handled. Are they seperate or are they cumalatively bundled as a single update?
Old 02-23-2015, 11:08 PM
Advanced

DCT Updates

Just so everyone knows. As far as I could tell from reading Service Manuals online. Stroke sensor and valve body learning is only done when the valve body assembly or other internal parts of the DCT are replaced. Including shift fork position sensor, and PCM replacement. Just updating the software/firmware of the PCM only requires the Idle Learn Process. Until I see an actual Service Bulletin on this. That's all I could find.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:19 PM
Advanced

I am also waiting for a final fix to this transmission. One day it shifts and acts normal (80 % of the time). Sometimes it feels totally messed up. I feel it must be software related or else it would be crappy all the time. I still have to get in touch with my Honda training instructors to see if they heard anything.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:34 AM
15 TLX Tech

Originally Posted by Tjb117
I just purchased my TLX last week and am glad I stumbled across this site, lots of great information.

Mine has a some of the symptoms others have described, but I feel like mine aren't as extreme (or maybe I just don't notice) as others, but am interested in the update.

Will this new update you mentioned coming this week include the fixes released on 2/2 or are they handled separately?

Also, is there a way to determine which version you are on yourself or does the dealer have to do that?

From what the ACR (Acura Client Relations) person told me, the update this week will include any prior updates. I did not have the early February update done and he said that he was told that this new update will have some enhancements. I do not know of a way to check the version. I suppose the dealer will know based on the service history.

I got my car in the begining of October. I did not start expierencing any transmission issues until about 45 days later. And even now, it's hit or miss for the harsh downshifts.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:12 PM
Instructor

Your dealer will know which version of the software your TCM has by connecting your TLX to a computer instrument. I do not think one can know it by checking your infotainment display. If you just bought your car, you need to bring it to your dealer to figure out the version of the software. However, do not bother to do it until you start feeling the abnormal transmission shifts. It may never happen to your TLX (then you are in good luck).
Old 02-24-2015, 07:31 PM
Suzuka Master

I am far from being a car engineer or expert but if it sis a software problem, why are some vehicles that were build a while ago behave differently from vehicles to vehicles? I mean if they all rolled out of the assembly plant at the same time, you would think that they'd all behave the same if they have the same software install.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:56 PM
9th Gear

the software issues don't hold. The car continues its jerky shifts. Client relations will tell you there's s fix but eventually the car demonstrates jerky shifts. Buyer Beware
Old 02-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Devonalexei
the software issues don't hold. The car continues its jerky shifts. Client relations will tell you there's s fix but eventually the car demonstrates jerky shifts. Buyer Beware
I was suspicious after twice being told by my Acura dealer that it would be better after TCM software updates and a few days later experiencing the same rough shifting problems again. However, I can confidently say that the recent update (02/02/2015) will make a real difference. Give it a try if you have not.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
I am far from being a car engineer or expert but if it sis a software problem, why are some vehicles that were build a while ago behave differently from vehicles to vehicles? I mean if they all rolled out of the assembly plant at the same time, you would think that they'd all behave the same if they have the same software install.
I agree. It is indeed bizarre.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I agree that it is odd. I received my TLX on September 12, 2014 and have never seen a transmission issue with or without updates. I can imagine there are plenty other lucky TLX owners, but I still find it odd. I have been waiting, almost expecting tranny issues after reading these posts, but I continue to roll on without one issue after 8,400+ miles.

It's also odd that some software fixes / learns resolved some issues, while others did not. I know there are issues with the tranny, but like you said, "Why don't we see these in batches?".
Old 02-24-2015, 09:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tlxsteve
I agree that it is odd. I received my TLX on September 12, 2014 and have never seen a transmission issue with or without updates. I can imagine there are plenty other lucky TLX owners, but I still find it odd. I have been waiting, almost expecting tranny issues after reading these posts, but I continue to roll on without one issue after 8,400+ miles.

It's also odd that some software fixes / learns resolved some issues, while others did not. I know there are issues with the tranny, but like you said, "Why don't we see these in batches?".
I notice that your location is in south Florida. I think your "luck" with your TLX may have a lot to do with the outside temperature. I have noticed most transmission shifting symptoms (from reading the posts and the case of my TLX) happen in cold temperature and during a cold start. But I agree that not all TLX drivers living in the cold climate experience those transmission problems. It is odd.

Quick Reply: 8sp DCT Transmission issues