8sp DCT Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 06:22 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
I'm sure no expert, but it sounds more like a fuel or engine problem.

Please let us know what the dealer finds out. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wlkeel

Thanks for the ideas. Man I sure hope its not an engine issue.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:29 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Really reaching here-but cars now have software that disables the throttle if you apply the brake. Something may have gone amiss there and it thinks you have applied braking.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:15 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello , I own a 2015 acura TLX, i can also relate to the jerky transmission, but ive also been having a few other issue. Sometimes my steering wheel would start up unaligned, my side mirrors keep resetting themselves once or twice while im driving. Also a while ago , all my warning lights came on while i was driving, but as i drove off they just turned off and it never happened again. Very disappointed with the performance and the tech of this car. Bringing the car in for maintenance on saturday, hopefully they can do something about it.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:58 AM
Racer

^^ Go away.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:54 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are software updates worth it?

Hi all, newbie here. I just bought a 2015 TLX with the 8 speed DCT and this lurching thing GOT ME last night! I was pulling up to a parking space at work and was stopped or nearly stopped...when I decided I could pull up another inch or two. So I started to release my foot off the brake and BAM, the car lurched forward about 6 inches or more! Good thing I wasn't close enough to the curb in front to hit it. Anyway, I've read this entire thread and realize that the cold up here in New England isn't going to be fun to deal with this Fall/Winter. Was just wondering if anyone thinks the software update from the dealer is worth it. I've read that a lot of you got updates done and it was only a temporary help. Anyone here think I should even bother? For now, I've been letting the car warm up a good 2-3 minutes before I take off, and putting it in Sport mode until the car gets warm seems to help also. I hope to have a remote starter installed soon; hopefully that helps even more. Thank you for your anticipated opinions/replies. P.S. If my TL had comfy seats, I would not have traded it in and would still be driving it! Love my TLX so far but this tranny issue is scary and frustrating.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:16 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes it's a good idea to get the updates. There are 2 updates which will help but not resolve the clunky tranny. My personal experience is that in cold weather the tranny "acts up".
The following users liked this post:
Cougarbabe7 (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougarbabe7
Hi all, newbie here. I just bought a 2015 TLX with the 8 speed DCT and this lurching thing GOT ME last night! I was pulling up to a parking space at work and was stopped or nearly stopped...when I decided I could pull up another inch or two. So I started to release my foot off the brake and BAM, the car lurched forward about 6 inches or more! Good thing I wasn't close enough to the curb in front to hit it. Anyway, I've read this entire thread and realize that the cold up here in New England isn't going to be fun to deal with this Fall/Winter. Was just wondering if anyone thinks the software update from the dealer is worth it. I've read that a lot of you got updates done and it was only a temporary help. Anyone here think I should even bother? For now, I've been letting the car warm up a good 2-3 minutes before I take off, and putting it in Sport mode until the car gets warm seems to help also. I hope to have a remote starter installed soon; hopefully that helps even more. Thank you for your anticipated opinions/replies. P.S. If my TL had comfy seats, I would not have traded it in and would still be driving it! Love my TLX so far but this tranny issue is scary and frustrating.
You absolutely want to make sure all the DCT updates have been applied. They helped mine get to about 95% klunk-free. I haven't had the "hit from behind" lurch since having it applied but still get the occasional klunky downshift.
Cougarbabe7 (11-03-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 08:32 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
For owners of 2015 TLX i4 with the 8sp DCT... and for those that have over 10,000 miles... do y'all feel the noticeable shifts from 2 to 3? Because I sure do. Sure, it isn't significantly "herky jerky" but during cold starts it is definitely noticeable... I would say once the engine has been sufficiently warmed up that it can drop to barely notice-able. But the hard shift is still there, but perhaps not to the point where it is enough to bother most.

Do others feel it and have just accepted it as part of the ride? I've already taken in my car twice to the dealer (the first time I got a s/w update, but for the second time the dealership said there wasn't much that they could do).

It's certainly not pleasant, but then again, maybe that's what a rider must accept with a DCT? I haven't driven other DCTs before. I just know that with many other cars, I get a smooth acceleration at low speeds whereas this TLX does not have that... does anyone claim to have a completely smooth start?
Old 12-25-2016, 09:00 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by TLXVanquish
For owners of 2015 TLX i4 with the 8sp DCT... and for those that have over 10,000 miles... do y'all feel the noticeable shifts from 2 to 3? Because I sure do. Sure, it isn't significantly "herky jerky" but during cold starts it is definitely noticeable... I would say once the engine has been sufficiently warmed up that it can drop to barely notice-able. But the hard shift is still there, but perhaps not to the point where it is enough to bother most.

Do others feel it and have just accepted it as part of the ride? I've already taken in my car twice to the dealer (the first time I got a s/w update, but for the second time the dealership said there wasn't much that they could do).

It's certainly not pleasant, but then again, maybe that's what a rider must accept with a DCT? I haven't driven other DCTs before. I just know that with many other cars, I get a smooth acceleration at low speeds whereas this TLX does not have that... does anyone claim to have a completely smooth start?
I've got a 15 with almost 30k on it. After taking the car in a few times for this jerkiness, I've come to the realization that this is characteristic of this transmission. It's always worse when the temps drop below 55 and the car is cold. Once warmed up, there is a slight jerkiness, but nothing that I'd worry about.

This car blows away the 2012 BMW 528i I had.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LAMike240
I've got a 15 with almost 30k on it. After taking the car in a few times for this jerkiness, I've come to the realization that this is characteristic of this transmission. It's always worse when the temps drop below 55 and the car is cold. Once warmed up, there is a slight jerkiness, but nothing that I'd worry about.

Can you explain why you like it more than your 2012 BMW? I am on the other side...I have a 16 TLX with tech and wish I spent a little more to get a 320i (or 328i) with a few packages to make it equal in features.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by aggybong
Can you explain why you like it more than your 2012 BMW? I am on the other side...I have a 16 TLX with tech and wish I spent a little more to get a 320i (or 328i) with a few packages to make it equal in features.
Please note that I said "528i", not "320i or 328i"

The 2.0 twin scroll turbo is significantly under powered for the heavier 528. You think the TLX has a downshift delay until the power comes on? Wait till you try the 528. A pig.

I've had 328i and and X1 as loaners and the 2.0 is a great match for those smaller, lighter cars.

I got rid of my 528 within 5 weeks after obtaining it.

Is the TLX perfect? Nah. But I know it won't have the repair bills of a Bimmer when the warranty expires.

Will I buy another Acura after the TLX? Probably not. While the dealer experience is fine, Acura's corporate tagline of, "the others on the lot perform the same so this is normal"just doesn't fly with me any longer.

When they have replaced my drivers airbag twice because it causes noise in the steering wheel and they deny it the third time it happens by saying it's normal? WTF ACURA!?!?
Old 12-26-2016, 10:46 AM
Intermediate

I know you mentioned a 5 series...I was just curious to see if it was a general BMW issue, or something with that particular model. It sounds like it's a little bit of both.

I am probably sticking to leasing from here on out, so the long term maintenance isn't a concern like it used to be, so I am eyeing BMW\Audi for the next round. Seeing how I've never owned (though I've test driven some), I was curious on your opinion between BMW/Acura.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:02 AM
Racer

I know you mentioned a 5 series...I was just curious to see if it was a general BMW issue, or something with that particular model. It sounds like it's a little bit of both.

I am probably sticking to leasing from here on out, so the long term maintenance isn't a concern like it used to be, so I am eyeing BMW\Audi for the next round. Seeing how I've never owned (though I've test driven some), I was curious on your opinion between BMW/Acura.
The 528 was my 1st and only Bimmer. Did I make a mistake and buy the wrong car? Yes. I should have driven a 535 or 550. I probably would have been much happier.

Bring that I only owned it 5 weeks, I can say much about the ownership or dealer experience.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:04 PM
Advanced

Just a characteristic of the transmission... sigh, not a great result but perhaps accepting this as reality will be better to move past this. Aside from the noticeable shift, no other complaints about the i4 Tech here..
Old 12-27-2016, 02:30 PM
Instructor

Have 15k on the clock. Can confirm everything you are saying. Looks like it's the nature of the DCT beast.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:18 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts

That's pretty much the exact behaviour I get from mine - 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 are a little jerky when cold - after things warm up a bit it's not noticeable. I also sometimes get a clunky shift into 1 when coasting to a stop. Nothing major but it's there. If you want super smooth a DCT isn't your best choice methinks.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:10 PM
Advanced

Good to know folks, thanks for the feedback. I just wanted to make sure that my 2.4 wasn't exhibiting any abnormal behavior and have to unnecessarily take it into the dealership. It's something I can easily live with. I plan to drive this car for many years so just want to make sure I work out any potential issues before it starts seeing age. Still so much I'm enjoying with the car... smooth, quiet cabin ride on the highways... the P-AWS system and assuming it helps somewhat with my slow parking turn radius attempts... the blind-spot monitoring system and LKAS feature... ELS audio... etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by TLXVanquish:
Gen4MDX (12-28-2016), wlkeel (12-29-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 04:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Good to know folks, thanks for the feedback. I just wanted to make sure that my 2.4 wasn't exhibiting any abnormal behavior and have to unnecessarily take it into the dealership. It's something I can easily live with. I plan to drive this car for many years so just want to make sure I work out any potential issues before it starts seeing age. Still so much I'm enjoying with the car... smooth, quiet cabin ride on the highways... the P-AWS system and assuming it helps somewhat with my slow parking turn radius attempts... the blind-spot monitoring system and LKAS feature... ELS audio... etc.
it's great to hear your positive feedback on the TLX 2.4 Tech. So many people on this site just want to constantly complain and moan about the TLX. While it is not perfect, it still is a nice ride.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Has anyone noticed vibrations in the cabin (seat, steering wheel, etc) when the car is in gear (D or R) and stopped? These vibrations seemingly vary in intensity, at times barely noticeable and at other times quite pronounced. Vibrations dissipate as soon as you start driving...and come back as soon as you come to a stop. Appears to be related to idle RPM...

Took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't replicate the issue, which makes me wonder if this is 'normal' behavior for the tlx. I will say that the 2016 ilx loaner did not exhibit this behavior, however.

Last edited by Biggie_B; 12-28-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Biggie_B
Has anyone noticed vibrations in the cabin (seat, steering wheel, etc) when the car is in gear (D or R) and stopped? These vibrations seemingly vary in intensity, at times barely noticeable and at other times quite pronounced. Vibrations dissipate as soon as you start driving...and come back as soon as you come to a stop. Appears to be related to idle RPM...

Took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't replicate the issue, which makes me wonder if this is 'normal' behavior for the tlx. I will say that the 2016 ilx loaner did not exhibit this behavior, however.
Yes I've experienced those vibrations when stopped and in D, but I've also experienced them on other Hondas I've driven in the past. The vibrations are pretty minimal... how strong are yours? Is it enough to rattle a penny if it were on the dash or in the cup holders?

Sometimes, if it is vibrating I've noticed that the vibrations are reduced when you shut off the HVAC, or shift into neutral. Does your TLX do the same?
Old 12-29-2016, 07:54 AM
Instructor

Yes I have experienced those vibrations also. Is it normal, I don't know? They are not too bad but noticeable at times.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggie_B

do you have the I4 or V6? This is typical for an I4
Old 12-29-2016, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tsturbo
do you have the I4 or V6? This is typical for an I4
I have an I4. And yes, it completely goes away if you are in P or N. Oddly enough, on a cold day they become more pronounced once the engine warms up and the RPMS drop down from 1 to .6 (or whatever the normal idle RPM is at idle). You can always feel them through the seat, but at times they are more pronounced than other times. The other day the vibrations were pulsating, but I don't know if that was part of the warming up process, as I only drove it for about 10 minutes. The car is bipolar, you never know what you are going to get until you start driving it. How much will it vibrate at idle? Will it upshift/down shift clunky in the lower gears? Will it decide not to accelerate when you give it gas from a stop (This has only happened twice since applying all the new updates)? I think most of these issues are computer related, and I hope they can be addressed down the line. I still think the car is good overall, but these issues should not exist in a luxury vehicle with Honda's pedigree. /Rant

Last edited by Biggie_B; 12-29-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:25 PM
Racer

No vibrations with mine. Smooth as can be
Old 12-30-2016, 05:22 PM
Instructor

I too have the 2.4 dct, all I can say from my experience is that this car hates cold weather. Since the temperature has dropped the car is more "jerky" than it was compared to a month ago.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:40 AM
Advanced

No joke, but my 2.4 TLX Tech, starting from about a week ago (or maybe two), at around 15,500 miles, has all of a self-corrected its hard shifting issues. My acceleration is a lot smoother and I no longer have hard shifts. Weather is still pretty cold, no dramatic swings there. Perhaps the transmission's so-called "learning" quality wasn't just salesman talk after all? Here's to hoping the transmission continues to behave this way! And hopefully this update provides hope for 2.4 TLX owners that are worried they have to live with the hard shifts forever.
wlkeel (01-17-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 07:03 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
See TSB 17-015 - 8-Speed Transmission (DCT) Has a Bump or Hard Shift When Coming to a Stop in the 2015, 2016, and 2017 TSB threads.
NickDiaz209 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 09:04 AM
Racer

Going in next week for this TSB. There is the possibility that this software update was one that was previously rolled out, except to a wider VIN range now.

We won't know until car is hooked up and we see what version of software I'm running.

Will advise.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Going in next week for this TSB. There is the possibility that this software update was one that was previously rolled out, except to a wider VIN range now.

We won't know until car is hooked up and we see what version of software I'm running.

Will advise.
I'm at the dealer as I speak having the TSB done. I will post my experience with it when the car is finished.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:20 PM
Instructor

I drove the car around 12 miles from the dealer back to my house. I took the streets to get a feel for how the update feels in stop and go situations. The DCT feels snappier. In normal mode the transmission fires off rev matching downshifts when coming to a stop, similar to how it does in sport and sport plus modes.
LAMike240 (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 03:23 PM
Intermediate

I'm scheduled for Monday. They already did the clutch break-in procedure but it only seemed to reduce the jolts, not remove them. Looking forward to it!
Old 05-01-2017, 10:37 PM
Racer

I'm scheduled for Monday. They already did the clutch break-in procedure but it only seemed to reduce the jolts, not remove them. Looking forward to it!
How did it go Aggy
Old 05-02-2017, 04:42 PM
Intermediate

I don't really notice a difference.

The 1-2 shift while cold is still a jerky kind of harsh, but warm it feels snappy. I drive in Normal mode and I don't notice a difference in shifts aside from that, including any change in rev matching when downshifting. Other problems (delay when accelerating from a stop, feeling rear ended at crawl speeds) were intermittent so only time will tell.

The real immediate benefit of going in was the loaner. I got a '17 SH-AWD and driving it made me happy about going with the i4 all over again. The transmission in that thing feels incredibly slow and the car felt heavier overall, but I do like the suspension set up more as it seemed not to bounce around as much. I also wish I had those wheels instead of the undersized i4s.

It makes me bummed that the '18 TLX won't get the A-Spec package for the i4, but there's still hope for '19!
LAMike240 (05-02-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 04:37 PM
Racer

Mine is in the shop today. Fingers crossed. Anyone else do the TSB?
Old 05-05-2017, 12:42 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't really notice a difference.

The 1-2 shift while cold is still a jerky kind of harsh, but warm it feels snappy. I drive in Normal mode and I don't notice a difference in shifts aside from that, including any change in rev matching when downshifting. Other problems (delay when accelerating from a stop, feeling rear ended at crawl speeds) were intermittent so only time will tell.

The real immediate benefit of going in was the loaner. I got a '17 SH-AWD and driving it made me happy about going with the i4 all over again. The transmission in that thing feels incredibly slow and the car felt heavier overall, but I do like the suspension set up more as it seemed not to bounce around as much. I also wish I had those wheels instead of the undersized i4s.

It makes me bummed that the '18 TLX won't get the A-Spec package for the i4, but there's still hope for '19!
Aggybong,
How often does this jerking and rough shift happen to you before the update?
Old 05-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Racer

Picked up my car last night. It will take some miles for the trans to relearn driving styles. Can't say I notice much yet, but we shall see as I drive it. The rear "bump" was intermittent, more often when cold. Time will tell on this update.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wlkeel

I wonder if this is true...I have noticed that my transmission is jerking more often when I used Chevron fuel now. I used Costco gas 95% of the time. Once in awhile I used Shell or Chevron. I have noticed that the past 3 filled up at Chevron, my transmission jerk more often than before. Going back to Costco next fill up and see if this is the issue.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Racer

Quick observations:

When cold, there doesn't appear to be the jerkiness that many of us have experienced. When driving in Normal mode, shifts are smoother and more responsive from a stop. Previously, I had to drive only in Sport to enjoy this car.

I have not experienced the bump since the update.

I would love to know from a technical standpoint, what this update actually does.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:16 AM
Instructor

I've put around 200 miles on the car since the update. The first hand full of shifts in the morning feel more controlled. Although they were never that bad to begin with. Once the transmission warms up it feels smoother overall. Downshifts come on quicker when pushing the throttle and less abruptly. The 2 main issues I had with the tranmisson seemed be corrected. The occasional jarring 2 to 1 downshift hasn't happend. Although it didn't happen that often before the update. The second issue only really happened in Sport mode but occasionally in Normal mode as well. In certain situations such as accelerating up a hill, when I would crest the top of incline and let off the throttle, the RPMs would flare almost like if the transmission was slipping. Then it would catch and you could feel a pretty hard jerk as it caught. It would sometimes happen on a flat surface also. Such as when trying to close the gap between me, and the car in front of me. I would push the throttle down slightly, the RPMs would spike first then a delay, then a harsh downshift to a lower gear. I read through the TSB a few times and from what I got from it was they were updating the fuel injection/transmission software. This allows the two systems to work together better. I'll post any updates as the miles add up.

Quick Reply: 8sp DCT Transmission issues