8sp DCT Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 08:53 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission

I am having jerky shifting whenever i come to a near stop and then accellerate. Very disappointed in the dual clutch 8 speed in the 4 cylinder tlx
Originally Posted by NRS78
I have noticed that there are more than a few comments about transmission issues here. As was recommended by another member, I wanted to start a separate thread dedicated to the 4cy 8sp DCT problems.

One my car, I have had issues from day one. Basically, when the car is cold (as in hasn't been driven for about 3 hours or more) it shifts pretty hard 1-2, 2-3, etc. regardless of the IDS mode. However, it seems that it is less pronounced in "econ" mode, probably because it softens the shifts a bit. Sometimes it is more noticeable than other times. It also seems that it is even slipping a bit when accelerating from a stop, kind of like in a manual transmission when you let the clutch slip too much. When the car warms up to operating temp, I really don't notice it shifting hard at all, and in fact the shifts are almost imperceptible 90-95% of the time.

The other issue I have noticed, is that when coming to a stop, sometimes it really slams into first gear, and I mean hard enough to shake the car. This happens rarely, but when it does its very disconcerting.

I have taken it into the dealership, and they confirmed what I was describing. The other 4cy they had on the lot they claim was doing the same thing. However, they said Acura had no resolution to it at this time. From the last One-Pack video, it seems Acura is aware of it. So for everyone who is having similar issues, please post your symptoms and conditions. Hopefully, Acura can sort this out through software updates. Other than the transmission, I really like this car.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:07 PM
RLTW!!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Just took delivery of my new TLX 2.4 w/8 speed DCT on Wednesday of this week and have not experienced any issues. Spoke to Service Manager, and he stated that there are two s/w updates that were applied to the car, one for the transmission and another for the Navigation system. Running smooth.
The following users liked this post:
tlxsteve (12-06-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 05:34 PM
15 TLX Tech

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dropped off my car at the dealer this morning for the navi update and told them about the transmission. Service advisor had not heard of anyone else with issues so he got the main service tech to let me explain to him. I had taken a video clip showing the RPMs fluctuating when it downshifts from 2-1. When it's cold, the downshift is so hard that it feels like someone has hit you. He said he wanted to keep the car and test it in the morning, but did agree that it shouldn't do that and the RPMs fluctuating helped show there was an issue. I also showed the delay in going from D to R and even though it's only a couple seconds, he said it should be quicker to respond. I'll report back after he calls me tomorrow.
The following 2 users liked this post by TSXtravis:
tlxsteve (12-10-2014), Warrior 6 (12-12-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the exact same problem and its really annoying.Please do let us know as what your tech has to say about the transmission and if there is a solution. Thanks
Old 12-12-2014, 10:14 AM
15 TLX Tech

UPDATE: Dealer kept my car for 2 days. The Serivce Tech was able to duplicate the hard downshift from 2-1 yesterday morning (the one that I described as it feels like someone has hit you from the back) and also the delay in going from D to R. He said he called the Acura tech line and they advised him of a PCM update, which he did, and then he had to "re-train" the transmission. He drove it this morning while it was still cold and said it is shifting more smooth and no "clunk" and it minimized the delay from D to R.
I have to work late this evening so I'll be keeping the RDX loaner until tomorrow. I'll repost an update this weekend after I pick up my car.
tlxsteve (12-12-2014)
Old 12-12-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXtravis
UPDATE: Dealer kept my car for 2 days. The Serivce Tech was able to duplicate the hard downshift from 2-1 yesterday morning (the one that I described as it feels like someone has hit you from the back) and also the delay in going from D to R. He said he called the Acura tech line and they advised him of a PCM update, which he did, and then he had to "re-train" the transmission. He drove it this morning while it was still cold and said it is shifting more smooth and no "clunk" and it minimized the delay from D to R.
I have to work late this evening so I'll be keeping the RDX loaner until tomorrow. I'll repost an update this weekend after I pick up my car.
Thanks Travis - the delay going from R to D is slightly annoying - I'll be interested to hear if it's any better after the update.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:57 PM
9th Gear

I've had the ECU update and transmission retrain. Believe me it did NOT fix this problem. I contacted Acura phone line and they've done nothing to help me but say it's supposed to be like that bec its a sporty shift. This is not good. Keep calling and complaining or we're all stuck with lemons. 800-382-2238
Old 12-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
This is the first I have heard of a PCM update. Hope it works better.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Devonalexei
I've had the ECU update and transmission retrain. Believe me it did NOT fix this problem. I contacted Acura phone line and they've done nothing to help me but say it's supposed to be like that bec its a sporty shift. This is not good. Keep calling and complaining or we're all stuck with lemons. 800-382-2238
I also had the transmission ECU update, and the tech performed the "re-learn process" on my car as well. It did not fix all of the problems. I have not had the hard 2-1 slam into gear anymore, but the R-D delay is still there, and the rough shifting when cold is still there as well. I've been waiting since last Wednesday to hear back from the service manager.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:06 AM
15 TLX Tech

I picked my car up yesterday and so far the hard downshift from 2-1 is much better. The delay in D to R doesn't seem to have improved much. Maybe a fraction of a second quicker. But hopefully this will help with the hard shifts and the "clunk" from 2-1.
quantum7 (12-14-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 06:05 PM
15 TLX Tech

I picked my car up yesterday and so far the hard downshift from 2-1 is much better. The delay in D to R doesn't seem to have improved much. Maybe a fraction of a second quicker. But hopefully this will help with the hard shifts and the "clunk" from 2-1.

UPDATE: Leaving for work this morning, I stop at exit gate to the neighborhood and clunk! I am stopped for about second and then the transmission realizes it should have downshifted from 2nd to 1st. So the issue is not fixed. I'm going to give it another day just to make sure that it's not in the "re-learning" phase.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:34 PM
Burning Brakes

UPDATE: Leaving for work this morning, I stop at exit gate to the neighborhood and clunk! I am stopped for about second and then the transmission realizes it should have downshifted from 2nd to 1st. So the issue is not fixed. I'm going to give it another day just to make sure that it's not in the "re-learning" phase.
Bummer. I had such high hopes for you and your TLX.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 21 Posts
For me, it seemed like the "software update" improved the transmission behavior for a few days but now it is just as jerky as before.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Hope Acura can figure the problem soon. I feel for the owners having this problem with their brand new cars. However, be careful what you wish for.

I bought a new 2009 G37 in 2009. It came with a brand new 7-speed transmission which had similar harsh downshift/jerkiness problem like the DCT. Engine braking was very pronounced going from 4th-3rd gears. Lots of complains. Infiniti released 3 updates over 3 years to fix the issue. The transmission did downshift much smoother but that introduced a new problem: hesitation. There would be 2 second for the damn thing to downshift into lower gears for passing power. If I had a choice, I would pick the original version with some engine break but it was more fun and little hesitation.

If you look at myG37.com forum, there is a huge thread about the 7AT that is still going on today. Lot of owners, including me, fixed the issue all together by trading in
Old 12-16-2014, 02:27 PM
9th Gear

I called again today. I was told it was going to take months. Keep calling bec the ECU update and the relearn process doesn't work.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unfortunately for me, the dealer was unable to reproduce the problem. Said its "normal". I mentioned the PCM and ECU update, but the service advisor knows nothing about it and said there is nothing they can do unless they can reproduce the problem.

Well, the hard shifting and jerkiness during stop is happening less and less. Maybe once every 10 days. I don't drive a lot, put in 2000 in 3months which includes a 1200 miles roadtrip. Since I bought the car, I have only experience hard shifting maybe 4-5 times and only in the morning and jerky stop twice. I can live with that. Otherwise, its a great car and truly enjoyable. I'm moving up from a Corolla to a TLX, so 'everything' on the TLX is amazing to me.

I hope Acura will issue a TSB on this soon.
tlxsteve (12-18-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 04:50 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I had many of the same issues you guys had with the transmission, except I just left it alone. I was waiting for an actual fix to be released but im closing in on a 1,000 miles with no problems.

After about 1200 miles the transmission stopped shifting hard and even works fine cold first thing in the morning. I tinkered alot with the car the first 500 miles with sport, normal, econ and using the clutch pedals.

However, the last almost 2,000 miles have been primarily sport with some econ on the highway.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nab0610
I had many of the same issues you guys had with the transmission, except I just left it alone. I was waiting for an actual fix to be released but im closing in on a 1,000 miles with no problems.

After about 1200 miles the transmission stopped shifting hard and even works fine cold first thing in the morning. I tinkered alot with the car the first 500 miles with sport, normal, econ and using the clutch pedals.

However, the last almost 2,000 miles have been primarily sport with some econ on the highway.
Hmm, that is interesting. I'm just under 1300 miles now on my car, however I'm still having the problems. The strange thing is it doesn't happen all of the time. It is much more pronounced on some days than others. The last few days it was pretty bad again- cold hard shifting, lurching from stop, and generally clunky.

I sent an e-mail to my service manager, and asked if there was anything updated from Acura yet, since after three months and two service visits already it is getting pretty frustrating. He said unfortunately, no. However, he suggested I borrow one of their TLX loaner cars to see if it feels any different (each time before, they gave me an MDX loaner). He gave me a new 2.4 Tech with 156 miles on it. Well on the way home, I could tell immediately that it idles smoother than mine has ever idled. I'm not sure why, but mine has always had a lot more vibration than I remembered in my 12' TSX. I hHaven't driven it cold yet, so that will be the test for the rest of the week.

My understanding is that this is a "learning transmission." So the changes to shifting, could certainly be coming from what it "thinks" it should be doing based on driving behavior. It just seems that, for some of us experiencing these issues, it is not learning correctly.

I'll update with more info later in the week.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by NRS78
Hmm, that is interesting. I'm just under 1300 miles now on my car, however I'm still having the problems. The strange thing is it doesn't happen all of the time. It is much more pronounced on some days than others. The last few days it was pretty bad again- cold hard shifting, lurching from stop, and generally clunky.

I sent an e-mail to my service manager, and asked if there was anything updated from Acura yet, since after three months and two service visits already it is getting pretty frustrating. He said unfortunately, no. However, he suggested I borrow one of their TLX loaner cars to see if it feels any different (each time before, they gave me an MDX loaner). He gave me a new 2.4 Tech with 156 miles on it. Well on the way home, I could tell immediately that it idles smoother than mine has ever idled. I'm not sure why, but mine has always had a lot more vibration than I remembered in my 12' TSX. I hHaven't driven it cold yet, so that will be the test for the rest of the week.

My understanding is that this is a "learning transmission." So the changes to shifting, could certainly be coming from what it "thinks" it should be doing based on driving behavior. It just seems that, for some of us experiencing these issues, it is not learning correctly.

I'll update with more info later in the week.
For the idle concern you can try having the car go through the idle learn process again. It is done by the following:

1) Drive the car to warm it up to full operating temperature

2) Shut the car off for a few seconds and then restart the car with all electronics and climate control systems in the off position

3) Let the car idle for at least 10 to 15 minutes

4) Shut the car off and the idle learn will be complete
Old 12-24-2014, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Angry

Bought my TLX a month ago. This is exactly what I have been experiencing even when I decelerate gently: "I'm decelerating from like 3 mph to 2 mph and the car decides to go from 2nd gear to 1st without using enough clutch, so the car lurches forward."

The feeling is like the transmission "fights" with me when I try to stop. I have tried different IDS modes. The same problem occurs over and over again. It has been very disconcerting. I am going to bring it in to the local acura dealer after Christmas. This is ruining my experience with the new Acura which otherwise I like, especially for how quiet the cabin is.
TSXtravis (12-24-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by jeremyw
Bought my TLX a month ago. This is exactly what I have been experiencing even when I decelerate gently: "I'm decelerating from like 3 mph to 2 mph and the car decides to go from 2nd gear to 1st without using enough clutch, so the car lurches forward."
I had the "lurching stop with a jolt as the car shifts into 1st gear" happen to me for the first time last night. The car was cold (been running for maybe a minute) and as I pulled up to a stop sign to leave the parking lot it went "thunk" and jolted forward - my wife (who is generally oblivious to car stuff) commented with a "What the hell was that????"

Almost 4 months of ownership and that the first time it happened - I hope it was an anomaly!
BandwidthExceeded (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 03:21 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
I had the "lurching stop with a jolt as the car shifts into 1st gear" happen to me for the first time last night. The car was cold (been running for maybe a minute) and as I pulled up to a stop sign to leave the parking lot it went "thunk" and jolted forward - my wife (who is generally oblivious to car stuff) commented with a "What the hell was that????"

Almost 4 months of ownership and that the first time it happened - I hope it was an anomaly!
I just had this happen again to me last night leaving work waiting for the gate to open. The first time I was at a full stop, but this time there was a car there already so I was just slowing down.

I got to about 2MPH applying brake pressure, and just as I lifted off the brake to coast behind the other car, it did the lurch. Scared the shit out of me becuase this time I was moving with no brake and I was concerned it was going to leap into the forward car. It did not.

I love this car. This does not happen a lot, everything is great after a bit, and I have yet to see it happen when warm. But its so jarring and forceful I am concerned its going to break something...
Old 12-28-2014, 03:32 PM
RLTW!!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Not cool all of these transmission issues ------ new TLX almost a month old exhibited clunkiness shifting from R to D after backing out of the driveway. Car was cold at the time. Have not experienced the lurching forward behavior, will keep you all posted.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
First and second time for me in 2500 miles of driving -- has happened twice over the past two days, both times pretty noticeably. Granted it has been MUCH colder the past two days here in Denver than for most of the year, so "maybe" that has something to do with it.

Surely Acura in all their likely thousands and thousands of test miles for this DCT had to experience the occurrence on multiple occasions. At least that's what I keep telling myself, and I wouldn't believe it's "normal".

Come on Acura -- bring back Pam to talk to us about what's going on with this transmission!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by ZAXDude:
Davinci547Acura (01-13-2015), jeremyw (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 04:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZAXDude
First and second time for me in 2500 miles of driving -- has happened twice over the past two days, both times pretty noticeably. Granted it has been MUCH colder the past two days here in Denver than for most of the year, so "maybe" that has something to do with it.

Surely Acura in all their likely thousands and thousands of test miles for this DCT had to experience the occurrence on multiple occasions. At least that's what I keep telling myself, and I wouldn't believe it's "normal".

Come on Acura -- bring back Pam to talk to us about what's going on with this transmission!!!
I am in academia and I have many first-hand experiences about people (including myself) who often miss the typos and errors in the first paragraph of their writings. This can draw an analogy with test drivers who often miss the signs of problems/defects at the very beginning of test drives of the all-new DCT transmission. There are several threads here dedicated to the DCT transmission problems. I read them all. Almost all incidents happened during the first 5 mins of driving from a cold start and when approaching to a complete stop. I figure now that the ACURA test drivers did not catch the problem.

A different note on your cold weather in Denver. I live in Oregon and the winter temperature has stayed in the 40s and 50s. There are several TLX owners living in Atlanta where winter is not cold at all. You will most likely experience the problems when you have a cold start before the engine and transmission reaches its full operating temperature.
Davinci547Acura (01-13-2015)
Old 12-28-2014, 06:47 PM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Good thing no pedestrians were in front. Imagine parking in a parking garage and the car lunges forward into a cement wall. lol
Old 12-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vbx
good thing no pedestrians were in front. Imagine parking in a parking garage and the car lunges forward into a cement wall. Lol
ouch!

Old 01-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Cruisin'

Figured I would add my experience in here just for the off chance an Acura rep is keeping track.

Everyday since I bought the car I back out of my drive way and come to a complete stop and put it in drive and get a loud clunk. I then accelerate out of my drive way to a stop sign and while slowing down it clunks when down shifting.
I have learned to live with it but it still makes me cringe every time it happens.
The Acura dealership kept the car overnight and told me they could not replicate the issue and to bring it back when it gets worse.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:32 PM
9th Gear

I'm having same issue. Its been a nightmare. I'm not getting anywhere with corporate or dealership. I'm sorry I bought this car.
Warrior 6 (01-03-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 09:17 AM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Devonalexei
I'm having same issue. Its been a nightmare. I'm not getting anywhere with corporate or dealership. I'm sorry I bought this car.
I feel your pain. I've given up with Acura Client Relations. I have had so many problems with my TLX, including persistent heater and transmission issues, and they have done absolutely nothing to help. In fact, they seem to act as if I am just making things up. This is my third and likely last Acura vehicle.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Nab0610, the same situation has occurred with my I4 DCT TLX. While I was waiting for a "real" fix the car started to behave much more civilized even as the weather has gotten much, much colder!!
The following 2 users liked this post by jik1001:
jeremyw (01-12-2015), Warrior 6 (01-10-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jik1001
Nab0610, the same situation has occurred with my I4 DCT TLX. While I was waiting for a "real" fix the car started to behave much more civilized even as the weather has gotten much, much colder!!
I have figured out a way to duplicate the transmission symptom on a consistent basis.
1) Leave your TLX overnight without driving so that the transmission fluid is cold.
2) Start driving your TLX slowly and manually Upshift to 3rd gear.
3) Brake to gradually approach a complete stop.

A sudden "lunging forward" will happen. I think the problem is caused by an "uncontrolled" downshift to 1st from 3rd and the torque converter cannot absorb the large shock from it. Sometimes the shock is so bad that a big "bang" can be heard. I used this method to demonstrate this problem to my Acura dealer in Oregon. They have heard plenty of complaints about the 8-speed DCT transmission and they have been reporting to Acura NA. As far as I know, Acura is still monitoring the situation without officially recognizing it as a problem or defect. There are no solutions to date.

I recommend all TLX owners who experience the transmission problems call their service advisers of their local Acura dealers and Acura client relation. This will put more pressure on Acura/Honda.
The following 2 users liked this post by jeremyw:
NRS78 (01-13-2015), TSXtravis (01-12-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 10:05 AM
Intermediate

I have figured out a way to duplicate the transmission symptom on a consistent basis.
1) Leave your TLX overnight without driving so that the transmission fluid is cold.

A sudden "lunging forward" will happen. I think the problem is caused by an "uncontrolled" downshift to 1st from 3rd and the torque converter cannot absorb the large shock from it. Sometimes the shock is so bad that a big "bang" can be heard. I used this method to demonstrate this problem to my Acura dealer in Oregon. They have heard plenty of complaints about the 8-speed DCT transmission and they have been reporting to Acura NA. As far as I know, Acura is still monitoring the situation without officially recognizing it as a problem or defect. There are no solutions to date.

I recommend all TLX owners who experience the transmission problems call their service advisers of their local Acura dealers and Acura client relation. This will put more pressure on Acura/Honda.
This is very good detailed information. I'm also in Oregon, in the Salem area, and I've been really trying to give my service adviser in Salem as much detailed information as I can about what I am experiencing with my transmission. Acura is certainly aware of the situation, but as you mentioned there are no official solutions. The last software update appeared to help for a bit, and in my case, minimized the lunge when it downshifts to first, but it is still there.

One interesting thing I noticed recently though. I've been pretty easy on my car for the first couple of months, trying to let it break in a bit. Well now that I am at 1600 miles, I thought I might take it out and flog it a bit, to see what it can do. This consisted of multiple 0-70(80) full out runs, some paddle shifting through the gears, and some twisty back road driving. Well the past couple of days, I have noticed the shifting seems much better. Coincidence? Maybe this transmission likes to be driven hard...
jeremyw (01-16-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 08:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried this last night at work after the car sat 10 hours at temps under 20 degrees F. The tranny did not falter. She went from 3rd gear to "D" on the IMID without a lunge or a jerk. ?????????
Old 01-14-2015, 11:15 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Living in New York with temps averaging out in the 20's the last few weeks: I warm up my car for about 2 mins or so, then I back out of my driveway, put it in Drive, come to a stop before leaving my driveway and I get a bit of a lunge forward (maybe about a few inches or so, nothing that'd drive me crazy like you guys are experiencing) but I always thought it was due to a cold start. On days when its below freezing, I do turn on my car for a few minutes, seems like the more I warm it up, the less the lunge on the transmission is..
Old 01-14-2015, 02:46 PM

I've tried this the past few days (very cold temps - in the single digits) and am unable to make it lunge. I get little "nudges" but not the big "what the hell what that" lunge.

Looks to be specific to certain cars and not endemic methinks.

Regardless - I'm certain we'll see a TSB for this at some point this year
Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Acura in Brentwood, TN installed the TCM update on my TLX 4cyl this past Monday (also the cross traffic system and the customer satisfaction update). Since then my transmission performs smoothly both cold or warm and in start - stop traffic. It now drives like a luxury car instead of an old clunker. They also started a map update that runs for about 90 min in the background while you drive. I guess i'm driving a computer with wheels.
The following 2 users liked this post by dparkerjr:
crownr0yal (01-16-2015), tlxsteve (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by dparkerjr
Acura in Brentwood, TN installed the TCM update on my TLX 4cyl this past Monday (also the cross traffic system and the customer satisfaction update). Since then my transmission performs smoothly both cold or warm and in start - stop traffic. It now drives like a luxury car instead of an old clunker. They also started a map update that runs for about 90 min in the background while you drive. I guess i'm driving a computer with wheels.
What's the TCM update?
Old 01-15-2015, 12:31 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What's the TCM update?
The TCM update is a software update part# 37820-RDF-A51. I don't know what the fix does but it made a big difference on my TLX. It took about 2 and a half hours to apply all three updates.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by dparkerjr
The TCM update is a software update part# 37820-RDF-A51. I don't know what the fix does but it made a big difference on my TLX. It took about 2 and a half hours to apply all three updates.
Awesome - thanks for that. I'm adding to my list of things to talk to my dealer about when I go in for the first oil change. they may have the car for a few days at this rate

Quick Reply: 8sp DCT Transmission issues