8sp DCT Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by dparkerjr
The TCM update is a software update part# 37820-RDF-A51. I don't know what the fix does but it made a big difference on my TLX. It took about 2 and a half hours to apply all three updates.
That part number just comes back to the ECU--maybe a re-flash?
Old 01-15-2015, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe a new ECU may solve the problem
Old 01-15-2015, 05:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dparkerjr
Acura in Brentwood, TN installed the TCM update on my TLX 4cyl this past Monday (also the cross traffic system and the customer satisfaction update). Since then my transmission performs smoothly both cold or warm and in start - stop traffic. It now drives like a luxury car instead of an old clunker. They also started a map update that runs for about 90 min in the background while you drive. I guess i'm driving a computer with wheels.
I'll be interested to know if your transmission continues to operate more smoothly after this update. When they updated the software on my transmission in December, it felt better for a few days, and then started shifting poorly again. Although, I have not had the really rough downshift into first since then, so maybe it did help a bit.

I actually just received an e-mail from my service adviser today and they were informed by Acura that there will be a new transmission software update in about a month. Maybe one of these updates will get it right.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zaqqaz000
Maybe a new ECU may solve the problem

Maybe... When I did a search on that part number I found it at Acura parts world, but it said there was a new model - Part #37820-RDF-A53 "which replaces Part #37820-RDF-A51 and Part #37820-RDF-A52" Are there really 3 different ECUs already for this transmission? If so, I wonder what the differences are.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
What's the TCM update?
TCM is the software update for the transmission.

ECM is the software update for the ELS/HFL/NAV.

I forgot what the actual abbreviations stand for.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
TCM is Transmission Control Module

ECM is normally Engine Control Module, but I have heard the update for the ELS/HFL/Nav called the ODMD (On Demand Multi-use Display).
Old 01-16-2015, 02:51 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by NRS78
This is very good detailed information. I'm also in Oregon, in the Salem area, and I've been really trying to give my service adviser in Salem as much detailed information as I can about what I am experiencing with my transmission. Acura is certainly aware of the situation, but as you mentioned there are no official solutions. The last software update appeared to help for a bit, and in my case, minimized the lunge when it downshifts to first, but it is still there.

One interesting thing I noticed recently though. I've been pretty easy on my car for the first couple of months, trying to let it break in a bit. Well now that I am at 1600 miles, I thought I might take it out and flog it a bit, to see what it can do. This consisted of multiple 0-70(80) full out runs, some paddle shifting through the gears, and some twisty back road driving. Well the past couple of days, I have noticed the shifting seems much better. Coincidence? Maybe this transmission likes to be driven hard...
I just got my car back this morning and the service adviser at my dealership fully agreed on the transmission problems during cold start. His technicians were able to duplicate the problems. I'd rather call it symptoms as they still cannot pinpoint what is the root cause. They have been slowly reporting the symptoms and patterns to the Acura. They have updated my TLX's software that controls transmission shifting to the latest edition. But at the same time, they also acknowledged that this update will not solve the problem completely (it may help). Here is the good news: another software update from Acura is on the way and should arrive at dealerships in a month! My service adviser has told me to go back in a month.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:33 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
I did a software update on my TLX today for the ECM/PCM/DCT (Newest version Jan. 5 2015)
(I work at a Honda dealer and did it myself). So far the transmission shifts way better, smoother no more lurching when coming to a stop. It responds much quicker with faster downshifts. I had another problem with mine I don't think others posted for the DCT when I put my foot to the floor it took too long to downshift or figure out the proper gear. I almost got t-boned because of this. Thank god its all fixed now. Hope it lasts. I did still get a little bit of the cold transmission firm shifts when I left work (-10C here in the GTA) but that is normal for any transmission until its warmed up. PS in case some don't know. This transmission and most Honda/Acura A/T's have a transmission warmer/cooler.

Last edited by Dutchy; 01-16-2015 at 04:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jeremyw (01-16-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 06:01 PM
Advanced

Anyone who has this ECM/PCM update make sure your dealer performs the idle learning procedure afterwards.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:23 PM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I still continue to have jerky shifts, hesitation when accelerating, and lunging forward when breaking. My car is at the dealership for the forth time. It's frustrating and I feel like I made the wrong decision buying the TLX. Not only is it frustrating to drive but there is a safety aspect that I'm reminded of every day I drive my car. Any suggestions?
Warrior 6 (02-01-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 06:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Yes, hang in there. They will get it fixed.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dutchy
Anyone who has this ECM/PCM update make sure your dealer performs the idle learning procedure afterwards.
Since my tranny has been fine from Day 1, I only need the ECM update for the Rear Cross traffic beeps and new nav/els/hfl options.

I think I should pass on the PCM/TCM update, right?

First Oil Change is this weekend. Might as well get this update
Old 01-22-2015, 08:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tlxsteve
I'd be interested in the dealer's reaction, since, like you, no shift problems, just the first morning 2 second delay between R and D. Usually if you don't have a problem, they don't want to make a warranty claim. It's not a recall, and if it's primarily an idle learn procedure--that was mentioned in one of the early One Packs as a fix for tranny complaints.

I asked about TLX tranny issues at my dealer during a new owner meet and greet with the service staff and got a denial of any problems, in fact they only talked about shift issues on the MDX. (??) I'd be interested in your dealer's "second opinion". Thanks.
tlxsteve (01-22-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 05:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tlxsteve
Since my tranny has been fine from Day 1, I only need the ECM update for the Rear Cross traffic beeps and new nav/els/hfl options.

First Oil Change is this weekend. Might as well get this update

It's up to you if it functions properly. It can't hurt to have it done as they do have software updates for a reason.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dutchy
It's up to you if it functions properly. It can't hurt to have it done as they do have software updates for a reason.
I am afraid they might get the learn process wrong. The Tranny has performed excellently since day one.

Thanks for your input.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:53 PM
Instructor

I did not jump to conclusion immediately after the Jan update performed on my TLX and drove it for two weeks to see any real improvements. The update does help. However, it has not completely solved the problem. This was within my expectation as my service manager in Oregon told me this after they performed the update. I am still experiencing jerkiness and lunching forward right before a complete stop during the first 5 minutes of a cold start. But the symptoms are less harsh, I say 40% better.

I am hoping the next update (arriving soon) can solve the problems completely.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
3 days in shop now - update to come

I have had the usual string of issues posted here. Reverse to D in the morning is brutal, tough shifts in lower gears, especially when cold, a miss-shift to neutral once.

Car is in and I was expecting a little back and forth/denial on their end but from the moment they got it they admit something just doesn't seem right. They have kept it 3 days now, tried all kinds of things, tell me they are still looking into things. For them, they say its their first experience with an 8 speed with issues, but now that they've been looking into it they know its an issue on acuras radar based on feedback they get when calling and working with acura directly.

Told them from this forum about a possible TCM update and they investigated but I haven't got a clear word on if there is one or if they have tried to implement it.

Once I get the car and paper work back i'll give an update of all conversations, what they see happening in the future, what they did etc...
Old 01-30-2015, 05:41 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems, I too have some jerkiness. Please keep us posted.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:30 PM
RLTW!!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Now at two weeks after having the car in for the TCM update, and wanted to provide you a update on the effectiveness on the car's transmission woes.

All of the issues cited by "Devonalexei" are there and in most cases exaggerated even more. The abatement of the issues while the car warmed up and achieved operating temperature, have disappeared, and the overall shifting is pitiful for a brand new car of this cost with less than 1800 miles on the odometer.

PAST DISAPPOINTMENT, and so sorry that I sold my pristine 2007 Acura Kinetic Blue Pearl TL-S for this 2015 TLX.

Coordinating with the dealership on next steps and third visit to get this right.

Will keep you appraised.

The following 2 users liked this post by Warrior 6:
bbarber718 (02-02-2015), Davinci547Acura (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ That must be disappointing. Sorry about your experience....in a way, I miss my TL too.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:24 AM
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hey everyone - first time posting to the forums but have been lurking and following everyone's updates for a while. Bought my Acura TLX in Atlanta, GA back in September and have experienced many of the same transmission issues others have described. Have had the vehicle in for service twice now and they applied the TCM update to my car back in December. Along with the TCM update, they said they performed a stroke sensor re-learn procedure on the invoice I got from them.

Overall - the TCM update they did and the re-learn has helped a little, but there are still several things wrong with how the transmission operates. The car still has very distinct shift problems from cold start. I still experience a noticeable delay and hesitation when slowing down and then trying to hit the accelerator again - almost as if the car downshifted too much and is confused how to re-engage for a smooth acceleration.

Overall, I'm quite frustrated with how this has been going. I was told by my dealer that they opened a TechLine issue for me and were notified by Acura that they are aware of the issues but do not have a fix at this time. I'm glad to hear others were notified from their dealers about a new transmission software coming in February? (1mo from mid Jan?) So, I will remain hopeful that they will be able to remedy and completely fix these issues...otherwise, I might consider trading this vehicle back in because this is not acceptable for the price I paid...
Old 02-02-2015, 09:31 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Warrior 6
Now at two weeks after having the car in for the TCM update, and wanted to provide you a update on the effectiveness on the car's transmission woes.

All of the issues cited by "Devonalexei" are there and in most cases exaggerated even more. The abatement of the issues while the car warmed up and achieved operating temperature, have disappeared, and the overall shifting is pitiful for a brand new car of this cost with less than 1800 miles on the odometer.

PAST DISAPPOINTMENT, and so sorry that I sold my pristine 2007 Acura Kinetic Blue Pearl TL-S for this 2015 TLX.

Coordinating with the dealership on next steps and third visit to get this right.

Will keep you appraised.

I'm curious - what dealership are you coordinating with in Atlanta? I bought mine from Ed Voyles Acura and they have been somewhat helpful - but still no concrete answers or resolution yet... I understand that the dealers are most likely just collecting data and awaiting a response from Acura HQ - but this is still beyond frustrating to have these glaring transmission issues on such a new vehicle at the luxury price point..
Old 02-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bbarber718
Hey everyone - first time posting to the forums but have been lurking and following everyone's updates for a while. Bought my Acura TLX in Atlanta, GA back in September and have experienced many of the same transmission issues others have described. Have had the vehicle in for service twice now and they applied the TCM update to my car back in December. Along with the TCM update, they said they performed a stroke sensor re-learn procedure on the invoice I got from them.

Overall - the TCM update they did and the re-learn has helped a little, but there are still several things wrong with how the transmission operates. The car still has very distinct shift problems from cold start. I still experience a noticeable delay and hesitation when slowing down and then trying to hit the accelerator again - almost as if the car downshifted too much and is confused how to re-engage for a smooth acceleration.

Overall, I'm quite frustrated with how this has been going. I was told by my dealer that they opened a TechLine issue for me and were notified by Acura that they are aware of the issues but do not have a fix at this time. I'm glad to hear others were notified from their dealers about a new transmission software coming in February? (1mo from mid Jan?) So, I will remain hopeful that they will be able to remedy and completely fix these issues...otherwise, I might consider trading this vehicle back in because this is not acceptable for the price I paid...

On the one hand, it is nice to know we are not alone in having these problems, but on the other hand it is extremely frustrating to be experiencing these types of problems with a brand new vehicle with no resolution from Acura.

My car has now developed a fantastic new "feature." Sometimes when I put it into drive it clunks so hard it feels like the transmission is going to fall out of it.

I'm going to give them one more chance to fix this with the software update, which is supposed to come out this month sometime. If this update does not fix the transmission, I'll either try to file lemon law, or trade it in for something else.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:54 PM
RLTW!!

Long time customer with Nalley Acura, third vehicle with them. My Service Advisor is top notch and working with me. He advised today to bring the car back in, and they will open a ticket with Acura Tech Line to work the issue. My car also has the "new feature" cited by NRS78, am waiting for something to break......

Getting the Georgia Lemon Law machine cranked up, if Acura cannot fix it, Acura can have this bucket of bolts back, once this adventure of checking the blocks is done.

Will keep you posted.

Last edited by Warrior 6; 02-02-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:58 PM
6th Gear

Long time customer with Nalley Acura, third vehicle with them. My Service Advisor is top notch and working with me. He advised today to bring the car back in, and they will open a ticket with Acura Tech Line to work the issue. My car also has the "new feature" cited by NRS78, am waiting for something to break......

Getting the Georgia Lemon Law machine cranked up, if Acura cannot fix it, Acura can have this bucket of bolts back, once this adventure of checking the blocks is done.

Will keep you posted.

Thought I would follow up with everyone here as I got a call from my dealership today after I put in some complaints with the owner. He reached out to me today and said that Acura is indeed planning to release a new TCM or transmission software update this month. He seemed quite confident that it would address and fix the cold start transmission shifting issues, among others. So, he told me to sit tight and to wait for the new transmission software to come out and then re-assess how everything is working.

At the end of the day, I really do like the car and feel like its a good value for the money. But if Acura cannot get a fix out for a clearly defect/bug ridden transmission, I am not going to sit around forever and wait for them. This will be the third time I have brought it in for service on this transmission issue, so would that qualify me for Lemon Law? This was my first car purchase so I'm just curious how the process works (have read a little about it online). Any help is appreciated!! Thanks
Old 02-03-2015, 10:24 AM
Intermediate

suposed new TCM update released 2/2

Originally Posted by colohusker
I have had the usual string of issues posted here. Reverse to D in the morning is brutal, tough shifts in lower gears, especially when cold, a miss-shift to neutral once.

Car is in and I was expecting a little back and forth/denial on their end but from the moment they got it they admit something just doesn't seem right. They have kept it 3 days now, tried all kinds of things, tell me they are still looking into things. For them, they say its their first experience with an 8 speed with issues, but now that they've been looking into it they know its an issue on acuras radar based on feedback they get when calling and working with acura directly.

Told them from this forum about a possible TCM update and they investigated but I haven't got a clear word on if there is one or if they have tried to implement it.

Once I get the car and paper work back i'll give an update of all conversations, what they see happening in the future, what they did etc...

update 2/3/2015: car is still in the shop. 7 days now. Here is what im told. There was TCM update, only available through contacting acura direct. They applied it, things got a little better but not totally fixed. They managed to fix shift delays at low speeds, idle speed, and a constant miss-shift at 4K rmp in 2nd. They couldn't fix the hard shifts in cold weather, the heavy clunk from R to D.

They held the car three days for an update that acura said was to be released "any day" and called yesterday to say acura has just released it...a second TCM update, issued via acura tech line on 2/2. The first application on 2/2 didn't take, so they are working today on trying it again. Will update with part numbers for both updates and all they have done and a report on if any of this ends up working. If not, im going lemon law and giving up this car.
tlxsteve (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 21 Posts

Will keep you posted.

Good luck at Nalley. I was the first to purchase a TLX 4-cylinder from them in August. I've been in the shop 8+ times for various problems, including the jerky transmission which so many of us have described. They did a software update which resulted in little if any benefit. I have spoken to the manager of the service department and those at client relations as well. The bottom line is no one seems to care. Sadly, this is my third and probably last Acura. I expect a lot better for a $40K vehicle. I'm still trying to hold on to some optimism that it will eventually be worked out but it has now been 6 months without real progress. Please keep me posted if you get anywhere with them.
Warrior 6 (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Have you ever driven a new TLX off their lot to compare? I got mine Nov 1, came off the truck Oct 30, and aside from choosing to pause for a count of 2 on the first cold R-D switch, the transmission shifts no more abruptly than any automatic I have had on the initial half mile or so as it warms. After that, smooth. Always Sport IDS, the first 1.5 miles are 25 mph speed limit, so it does get a good warm-up. Aggressive throttle produces almost imperceptible shifts when warm.. It's very curious and unfortunate how people have had different experiences.
The following 2 users liked this post by jim256:
tlxsteve (02-03-2015), Warrior 6 (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jim256
Have you ever driven a new TLX off their lot to compare? I got mine Nov 1, came off the truck Oct 30, and aside from choosing to pause for a count of 2 on the first cold R-D switch, the transmission shifts no more abruptly than any automatic I have had on the initial half mile or so as it warms. After that, smooth. Always Sport IDS, the first 1.5 miles are 25 mph speed limit, so it does get a good warm-up. Aggressive throttle produces almost imperceptible shifts when warm.. It's very curious and unfortunate how people have had different experiences.
Fair question. I have a tlx loaner for the 7 days and counting mine has been in shop. Loaner has none of the issues my car has. Felt different the first 1/2 mile, very noticeable. They tell me that's why acura can't get this straightened out as on paper they are the same. Same plant, same set up, etc...

Another note that I'm sure some will ask about is did I test drive my car first. Answer: Once, I had to order it so most test driving was in other cars. When mine arrived, took it out once and all seemed to be ok so I took it home. The car has progressively gotten worse over time (some might note that so has the weather and cold seems mildly related). But an example would be there was definitely no jarring clunk from r to drive at first, which is now brutal and seemingly unfixable.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jim256
My service manager wanted me to test another TLX as well to see if I could tell the difference. This car only had 152 miles on it when I took it home. I could tell immediately that it felt different from mine, engine felt smoother, shifted better, etc. Well after about 10 days and a few hundred miles, I experienced the hard slam into first. Then the next day I tried to accelerate from a stop, and it shifted into neutral, then back into gear. From that point on it got progressively worse, until the point when it was actually worse shifting than my car. I ended up keeping the loaner for about 3 weeks, and put about 500 miles on it (it was over the holidays, and he just told me to keep it while my car was in the shop getting the vacuum booster replaced).

So what I have experienced with this transmission is that the problems may not present themselves immediately. It appears that something is wrong with the way the clutches are "learning," and it gets worse over time. I have personally experienced it on two different cars now.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
My service manager wanted me to test another TLX as well to see if I could tell the difference. This car only had 152 miles on it when I took it home. I could tell immediately that it felt different from mine, engine felt smoother, shifted better, etc. Well after about 10 days and a few hundred miles, I experienced the hard slam into first. Then the next day I tried to accelerate from a stop, and it shifted into neutral, then back into gear. From that point on it got progressively worse, until the point when it was actually worse shifting than my car. I ended up keeping the loaner for about 3 weeks, and put about 500 miles on it (it was over the holidays, and he just told me to keep it while my car was in the shop getting the vacuum booster replaced).

So what I have experienced with this transmission is that the problems may not present themselves immediately. It appears that something is wrong with the way the clutches are "learning," and it gets worse over time. I have personally experienced it on two different cars now.
This is an interesting theory and could very well be the case - given the varied experiences we're seeing reported. If this is indeed the case one can understand how difficult it would be for the techs to track down and fix. This also would explain why we didn't notice this behaviour during the test drive.

Glad my symptoms are quite mild and livable - not sure I'm going to press for the TCM update as it may make things worse in the long run.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:37 PM
Instructor

3 months this week--it has been smooth the entire time other than the R-D where I pause for a count of 2. Driving style?
Old 02-04-2015, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I've had mine for about 5 months now. I experience the slowness between R & D. Very occasionally (almost rarely...maybe 2-3 times) do I experience the "lunge"/"clunk" when coming to a stop. Shifts on acceleration have always been smooth as butter.

I have noticed that the times the lunge/clunk occurred when coming to a stop did so after I was driving a little aggressively and accelerating and then had to come to a quick stop -- almost like the transmission didn't have enough time to get to 1st gear in time.

I am almost always either in Eco or Normal mode. I do put it in Sport sometimes. I haven't, however, tried to determine if one drive mode causes it over another. It simply hasn't happened enough for me.

Just bringing forward my experience; not trying to diminish claims made by others. I really hate to see others post that their driving experience is so significantly worse. That's not the experience I'd want in a new car.
jim256 (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I will say this, one thing that will be interesting will be to see how this 8 DCT unit will behave in the ILX. Unlike the TLX, the ILX will not have the 4 drive-select mode and we'll see if that renders the transmission a little more stable...

Time will tell....
Old 02-04-2015, 05:20 PM
RLTW!!

Update - 2/4/15: Working with my service advisor at Nalley Acura in Marietta, GA. Theu have opened a ticket with TECH LINE and they want the car there to start diagnosis. This whole process is like watching paint dry. My gut is telling me they do not have a clue......will keep you posted. Sure hope bdwpac81 and I are not starting a new Nalley Acura TLX fan club......

Last edited by Warrior 6; 02-04-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:10 AM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thought I would follow up with everyone here as I got a call from my dealership today after I put in some complaints with the owner. He reached out to me today and said that Acura is indeed planning to release a new TCM or transmission software update this month. He seemed quite confident that it would address and fix the cold start transmission shifting issues, among others. So, he told me to sit tight and to wait for the new transmission software to come out and then re-assess how everything is working.

At the end of the day, I really do like the car and feel like its a good value for the money. But if Acura cannot get a fix out for a clearly defect/bug ridden transmission, I am not going to sit around forever and wait for them. This will be the third time I have brought it in for service on this transmission issue, so would that qualify me for Lemon Law? This was my first car purchase so I'm just curious how the process works (have read a little about it online). Any help is appreciated!! Thanks
Hi bbarber718,
I'm curious who you have dealt with in the service department at Ed Voyles Acura and who you spoke to about the transmission update that is coming out soon. I also bought my car from them and I do have some minor shifting issues with my car also that I want to soon get checked out.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:42 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jaynatlanta
Hi bbarber718,
I'm curious who you have dealt with in the service department at Ed Voyles Acura and who you spoke to about the transmission update that is coming out soon. I also bought my car from them and I do have some minor shifting issues with my car also that I want to soon get checked out.
Well, the first two times that I brought the car in I was working with Bill Crouch there. However, the software update and relearning procedures they have done did not address the ongoing transmission problems I am experiencing. In fact, over the past few days I have now started to experience the horrible lunge/clunk into first gear that others have described as you slow down to a stop. My girlfriend was with me in the car and thought that someone had hit us from behind approaching the gate to my apartment. It seems this transmission is only getting worse over time and is giving me some serious buyers regret.

But to your original question, I called up the Dealership owner and have been speaking with him directly. He told me he spoke with both his service manager and someone directly from Acura HQ that confirmed a TCM update was on the way sometime this month. Other users on the forum have posted information about an update being released on 2/2, but I have not been contacted yet to bring mine in for service. I will keep everyone posted on future updates, but at this time, I'm starting to consider other options such as trading this in or pursuing lemon law.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, the first two times that I brought the car in I was working with Bill Crouch there. However, the software update and relearning procedures they have done did not address the ongoing transmission problems I am experiencing. In fact, over the past few days I have now started to experience the horrible lunge/clunk into first gear that others have described as you slow down to a stop. My girlfriend was with me in the car and thought that someone had hit us from behind approaching the gate to my apartment. It seems this transmission is only getting worse over time and is giving me some serious buyers regret.

But to your original question, I called up the Dealership owner and have been speaking with him directly. He told me he spoke with both his service manager and someone directly from Acura HQ that confirmed a TCM update was on the way sometime this month. Other users on the forum have posted information about an update being released on 2/2, but I have not been contacted yet to bring mine in for service. I will keep everyone posted on future updates, but at this time, I'm starting to consider other options such as trading this in or pursuing lemon law.
I agree the TLX 8SP transmission is really bad. I have had more rough shifting and clunks in 1 day than I had in 10 years in my TL.

I remain optimistic the problems can be fixed as the other TLX features are outstanding. Thanks to all for posting on this thread.

Don
Old 02-05-2015, 01:49 PM
Instructor

My service adviser said the new software update has arrived. But he needs to test it on his loaner cars first. Fingers crossed that Acura will fix the transmission problems with this update. I suggest that you call your service adviser to inquire about this update.
tlxsteve (02-05-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 01:46 PM
RLTW!!

Update - 2/4/15: Working with my service advisor at Nalley Acura in Marietta, GA. Theu have opened a ticket with TECH LINE and they want the car there to start diagnosis. This whole process is like watching paint dry. My gut is telling me they do not have a clue......will keep you posted. Sure hope bdwpac81 and I are not starting a new Nalley Acura TLX fan club......
Update: 2/8/15: Car at Nalley Service since 2/5/15, Service Manager states they are working with Tech Line to resolve the issue, shooting for pickup on Wednesday of this coming week. Personally, think they are blowing smoke and walking circles, and ACURA has no clue how to remedy this issue. The company should be ashamed of themselves for selling a car that was not through the entire Easy Bake Oven process.....as stated earlier, will endure these required steps of resolution to four trips to fix, and if they cannot have secured a lawyer and we will be exercising the Lemon Law of the State of Georgia and ACURA can have this awful car back. Will let you know what develops, driving a 3.5 with 9spd trans, and it also shifts horribly. Just Damn!!
bdwpac81 (02-09-2015)

Quick Reply: 8sp DCT Transmission issues