8sp DCT Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 03:57 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NRS78
I have noticed that there are more than a few comments about transmission issues here. As was recommended by another member, I wanted to start a separate thread dedicated to the 4cy 8sp DCT problems.

One my car, I have had issues from day one. Basically, when the car is cold (as in hasn't been driven for about 3 hours or more) it shifts pretty hard 1-2, 2-3, etc. regardless of the IDS mode. However, it seems that it is less pronounced in "econ" mode, probably because it softens the shifts a bit. Sometimes it is more noticeable than other times. It also seems that it is even slipping a bit when accelerating from a stop, kind of like in a manual transmission when you let the clutch slip too much. When the car warms up to operating temp, I really don't notice it shifting hard at all, and in fact the shifts are almost imperceptible 90-95% of the time.

The other issue I have noticed, is that when coming to a stop, sometimes it really slams into first gear, and I mean hard enough to shake the car. This happens rarely, but when it does its very disconcerting.

I have taken it into the dealership, and they confirmed what I was describing. The other 4cy they had on the lot they claim was doing the same thing. However, they said Acura had no resolution to it at this time. From the last One-Pack video, it seems Acura is aware of it. So for everyone who is having similar issues, please post your symptoms and conditions. Hopefully, Acura can sort this out through software updates. Other than the transmission, I really like this car.
I am experiencing the exact same problems, it looks like that early adopters have to pay !
Old 11-11-2014, 05:31 PM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JTSteelman
My new TLX was also showing many of the signs and symptoms outlined above so I was sure to bring it to the technician's attention this morning while having it in for a remote start install. Of course, little to nothing occurred during my test drive with the service technician and he was unaware of any known problems with the model line. I assured him that it is something that happens on a somewhat regular but sporadic basis and that it has even caused my car to hesitate on several occasions when crossing oncoming traffic. I also brought in my iPad to cite the numerous complaints and threads posted by the rest of you. With some encouragement, he agreed to hook it up and log some data on another test drive. It finally hard shifted several times and stuttered on a rolling stop and start. After calling and uploading the data to Acura, the technician was informed of a ECU/PCM update that could be performed. According to Acura, it is indeed a known issue and another update, in addition to this one, should be released within the next 2-3 weeks. After installing the remote start and new ECU/PCM update, the car shifts and even idles noticeably smoother. As I told the technician, I knew a new Acura shouldn't be shifting and idling rougher and louder than my 12 year old Grand Prix GTP. I'll keep everyone posted as to whether I continue to notice an improvement and when they call me to have the next update performed. It should, as they said, be within the next several weeks.
This sounds like the same thing that was done on my car. I took mine in last week to get the navi and audio system software update done and I mentioned the issues I had been noticing with the transmission. I did not get the chance to talk to the tech that worked on it but the service adviser told me that the tech drove the car and noticed right away that something was not right. The adviser told me that the tech had the car hooked up and was contacting Acura about the issue. They kept the car all day and overnight. My service write up said basically the same thing that an ECU update was done and it has been driving much better since. They did not tell me of another update that was coming out in a few weeks but keep us posted if you get notified of it.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Took it for a drive tonight. Still hard shifting with cold starts but I didn't notice anymore problems once the car came up to normal operating temperature. I think inclines and cold starts are always going to be a problem due to the combination of a sophisticated drivetrain always looking for the best gear and numerous moving parts, i.e. The dual clutch trans and torque converter having to work together. I look forward to hearing what, if anything, is done for others and what their experiences are with it. Perhaps there is a reason why this is the first DCT with a torque converter.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jaynatlanta
This sounds like the same thing that was done on my car. I took mine in last week to get the navi and audio system software update done and I mentioned the issues I had been noticing with the transmission. I did not get the chance to talk to the tech that worked on it but the service adviser told me that the tech drove the car and noticed right away that something was not right. The adviser told me that the tech had the car hooked up and was contacting Acura about the issue. They kept the car all day and overnight. My service write up said basically the same thing that an ECU update was done and it has been driving much better since. They did not tell me of another update that was coming out in a few weeks but keep us posted if you get notified of it.
Did the ECU update fix the problem? I have the exact same symptoms, ie hard shift only in the morning. I'm in Ca, so once the temp warms up in the afternoon, the car drives fine. Morning temp is usually in the low 50s.

One thing I notice when the transmission having a issues, the RPM will go slightly above 2000 before the transmission shift to the next gear. This is with very gentle acceleration. Once the car warms up, RPM will not go above 2000 when shifting.

I have not contacted the dealer. Plan to do that shortly.

By the way, can someone give me more info on the Audio and Navi update?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by newfly

By the way, can someone give me more info on the Audio and Navi update?
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...-acura-920528/
The following users liked this post:
newfly (11-11-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JTSteelman
My new TLX was also showing many of the signs and symptoms outlined above so I was sure to bring it to the technician's attention this morning while having it in for a remote start install. Of course, little to nothing occurred during my test drive with the service technician and he was unaware of any known problems with the model line. I assured him that it is something that happens on a somewhat regular but sporadic basis and that it has even caused my car to hesitate on several occasions when crossing oncoming traffic. I also brought in my iPad to cite the numerous complaints and threads posted by the rest of you. With some encouragement, he agreed to hook it up and log some data on another test drive. It finally hard shifted several times and stuttered on a rolling stop and start. After calling and uploading the data to Acura, the technician was informed of a ECU/PCM update that could be performed. According to Acura, it is indeed a known issue and another update, in addition to this one, should be released within the next 2-3 weeks. After installing the remote start and new ECU/PCM update, the car shifts and even idles noticeably smoother. As I told the technician, I knew a new Acura shouldn't be shifting and idling rougher and louder than my 12 year old Grand Prix GTP. I'll keep everyone posted as to whether I continue to notice an improvement and when they call me to have the next update performed. It should, as they said, be within the next several weeks.
It's interesting that you mention the rough idle. I thought mine seems to be idling rougher than it should. I had the 2.4L in my 2012 TSX, and although it was not direct injection like the TLX, it never seemed to vibrate as much that the my TLX does. When I'm driving, it sometimes feels like it is bogged down, like it is in to low of a gear. When that happens you feel quite a bit of vibration from the engine. Even in sport mode it is not very quick to downshift. I guess I'll mention that to the dealer to, and see if an update might help the lower RPM vibration.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:16 PM
8th Gear

Anyone having issues shifting from P to R and R into D? It seems to take a 3-5 seconds to engage into gear. RPMs start high and when engaged they will drop back down. I don't remember this happening in my 2012 TSX SE.
Same hard issues shifting when cold, but since my car is normally running for 5-10 minutes with remote start I haven't had to deal with those issues as much. Thoughts?
Old 11-13-2014, 12:33 AM
2nd Gear

I experienced similar jerky shift as well.

A few weeks ago, I test drove a 4cyl TLX tech at dealer. There is no freeway nearby and I was on local roads only. I saw a red signal in the front so I start to coast. The signal turned green before I reached the intersection and then I decided to accelerate. Then I felt this jerky downshift from transmission as soon as I step on the gas. I was surprised since Honda is always very smooth. So I tried a few times during my 10 minutes test drive and were able to reproduce such transmission 'shock' every time I step on gas when coasting at 30-40 mph.

I am confused and not sure if it is just TLX or all other cars. So I test drove a RDX and could not reproduce such problem. On my way home, I failed to reproduce it on my 2001 accord neither. In the following weeks, I test drove BMW X4, MB GLK350 and Audi A5. I tried to accelerate when coasting at 30-40 mph and their downshift was more like cushioned and soft, not as jerky and crisp as I felt in TLX.

I am in Southern California and it was the middle of the day. Temperature was hitting 90F at that time. And the car was in sport mode all the time.

Now I am a little worried that 'Do not buy first model year' is probably good advice. Maybe I should get a certified 4G TL instead.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
You will certainly enjoy the TL....an amazing car! I am kicking myself for not keeping it....It was flawless (at least mine was)

Last edited by weather; 11-13-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:38 AM
15 TLX Tech

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bhryckie
Anyone having issues shifting from P to R and R into D? It seems to take a 3-5 seconds to engage into gear. RPMs start high and when engaged they will drop back down. I don't remember this happening in my 2012 TSX SE.
Same hard issues shifting when cold, but since my car is normally running for 5-10 minutes with remote start I haven't had to deal with those issues as much. Thoughts?
I'm glad someone else mentioned this. That was one of the first things I noticed when I drove off the lot. The delay from P-R and R-D. I just assumed it was the "different / new" transmission technology.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:49 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by haharen1982
I experienced similar jerky shift as well.

A few weeks ago, I test drove a 4cyl TLX tech at dealer. There is no freeway nearby and I was on local roads only. I saw a red signal in the front so I start to coast. The signal turned green before I reached the intersection and then I decided to accelerate. Then I felt this jerky downshift from transmission as soon as I step on the gas. I was surprised since Honda is always very smooth. So I tried a few times during my 10 minutes test drive and were able to reproduce such transmission 'shock' every time I step on gas when coasting at 30-40 mph.

I am confused and not sure if it is just TLX or all other cars. So I test drove a RDX and could not reproduce such problem. On my way home, I failed to reproduce it on my 2001 accord neither. In the following weeks, I test drove BMW X4, MB GLK350 and Audi A5. I tried to accelerate when coasting at 30-40 mph and their downshift was more like cushioned and soft, not as jerky and crisp as I felt in TLX.

I am in Southern California and it was the middle of the day. Temperature was hitting 90F at that time. And the car was in sport mode all the time.

Now I am a little worried that 'Do not buy first model year' is probably good advice. Maybe I should get a certified 4G TL instead.
Since I really love Acura/Honda cars, I want to give TLX another try. So I went to test drive TLX again in a different dealer yesterday. Same model, 4cyl tech. This time I tested it under different mode (eco/normal/sport/sport+). The shift is very smooth under normal mode, and became harder and uncomfortable under sport mode. Under sport+ mode, the engine revs all the way to redline so I stopped acceleration before it shifts(do not want to abuse it). Under Eco mode, the shift is early and smooth. So if I would buy this car, I stay at normal mode all the time.

Other side notes:
1: Despite the hard shift, the transmission is decisive. Better than BMW's 8 spd.
2: the ELS sound system is very crisp and clear. And I hardly felt any bass. I guess the subwoofer might need be broken in( saw this in another threads on Acurazine).
3: The car is very low by itself. The front bottom scratched the road just by exiting the slope of dealer lot onto the road. My own cars have no such problem on the same slope( Acura CL, Honda accord 2001, went there for service before).
4: LED headlights are very bright. Really liked it.
5: Steering wheel is very light. I hope it will be stable on the freeway.
6: The buttons in the cabin feel cheap. The window up/down buttons are very tight. However the mirror buttons are loose. The craftsmanship might need some refinement.
7: The cabin is much quieter than my friend's previous generation accord. But not necessarily quieter than other cars I tested(listed in quote). I hope Acura also applied cabin isolation measures in addition to ANC.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Since I really love Acura/Honda cars, I want to give TLX another try. So I went to test drive TLX again in a different dealer yesterday. Same model, 4cyl tech. This time I tested it under different mode (eco/normal/sport/sport+). The shift is very smooth under normal mode, and became harder and uncomfortable under sport mode. Under sport+ mode, the engine revs all the way to redline so I stopped acceleration before it shifts(do not want to abuse it). Under Eco mode, the shift is early and smooth. So if I would buy this car, I stay at normal mode all the time.

Other side notes:
1: Despite the hard shift, the transmission is decisive. Better than BMW's 8 spd.
2: the ELS sound system is very crisp and clear. And I hardly felt any bass. I guess the subwoofer might need be broken in( saw this in another threads on Acurazine).
3: The car is very low by itself. The front bottom scratched the road just by exiting the slope of dealer lot onto the road. My own cars have no such problem on the same slope( Acura CL, Honda accord 2001, went there for service before).
6: The buttons in the cabin feel cheap. The window up/down buttons are very tight. However the mirror buttons are loose. The craftsmanship might need some refinement.
7: The cabin is much quieter than my friend's previous generation accord. But not necessarily quieter than other cars I tested(listed in quote). I hope Acura also applied cabin isolation measures in addition to ANC.
Odd, mine shifts smoothly in Sport, and Sport also tightens up the steering, which I like. As to quietness, I also have a 2013 Lexus ES and I'd say they are equivalent, so I'm pleased, for a car that is $8k less. Buttons? Not something that I've noticed as an issue.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has any heard the ecu update and got it done which is supposed to smooths out the transmission jerk ?
Cmyoung (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 07:39 AM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
ECU Update

My vehicle has been with Acura Dealer since Nov. 6 and I just received my car back yesterday. I took it in for the software update to Navigation and also asked them to look into the jerkiness of my vehicle ( 4 cyl model) along with the hesistation/delay from Reverse to Drive or vice versa. Long story short my service man called me yesterday and advised my that he had been waiting on Acura Tech to call him with an update. Finally, that ECU update came and has been applied to my vehicle. Since I drove the vehicle home last night and this morning to work I can say that it made an improvement on the smoothness of shifting and I haven't noticed any low speed lurch/lunge. Now, this has not quite been a full 24 hours. I'm going to give it some more time and see if the majority of the problem(s) are fixed. THERE IS AN ECU UPDATE AND MY DEALER INSTALLED IT ON MY 4 CYL MODEL :-)

Last edited by Cmyoung; 11-19-2014 at 07:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cmyoung:
NRS78 (11-19-2014), TSXtravis (11-20-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 07:54 AM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cmyoung
My vehicle has been with Acura Dealer since Nov. 6 and I just received my car back yesterday. I took it in for the software update to Navigation and also asked them to look into the jerkiness of my vehicle ( 4 cyl model) along with the hesistation/delay from Reverse to Drive or vice versa. Long story short my service man called me yesterday and advised my that he had been waiting on Acura Tech to call him with an update. Finally, that ECU update came and has been applied to my vehicle. Since I drove the vehicle home last night and this morning to work I can say that it made an improvement on the smoothness of shifting and I haven't noticed any low speed lurch/lunge. Now, this has not quite been a full 24 hours. I'm going to give it some more time and see if the majority of the problem(s) are fixed. THERE IS AN ECU UPDATE AND MY DEALER INSTALLED IT ON MY 4 CYL MODEL :-)
I also had an ECU update done on my 4 cyl tech two weeks ago and it did smooth out the shifts and I have not experienced any low speech lurch since. Mine does still have the delay going from R to D. Did the update you get done seem to make any difference on that? I'm wondering if its the same update I got. I had read in another post here that someone had this update done but was told that Acura is working on another update that may come out near the end of the month.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:17 AM
Advanced

Update

When I had to reverse out the parking space yesterday when I went to pick up my car I did notice a one second delay. However, when I asked my service man about it he said that it may have a second or two delay and chopped it off as a normal characteristic...I was just "thrilled" to get my car back after almost 2 weeks and give them back there brand new 15' MDX I drove ( veryyyy nice ride and space which worked out well when I went to Myrtle Beach this past weekend ) that only had 500 miles.

Originally Posted by jaynatlanta
I also had an ECU update done on my 4 cyl tech two weeks ago and it did smooth out the shifts and I have not experienced any low speech lurch since. Mine does still have the delay going from R to D. Did the update you get done seem to make any difference on that? I'm wondering if its the same update I got. I had read in another post here that someone had this update done but was told that Acura is working on another update that may come out near the end of the month.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:31 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the info and update. I spoke with my service manager on Monday, and he also said they have an ECU update available. I have an appointment to take it in tomorrow, so they can work on it Friday. Here's hoping it resolves the poor cold shifting. I will update my results after I get it back.
The following 2 users liked this post by NRS78:
Cmyoung (11-19-2014), TSXtravis (11-20-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 11:20 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
When I had to reverse out the parking space yesterday when I went to pick up my car I did notice a one second delay. However, when I asked my service man about it he said that it may have a second or two delay and chopped it off as a normal characteristic....
My car has been slow to shift from R to D from day one. I started a thread about it (can't locate the thread) and it seems to be the general consensus that the DCT behaves that way for every car.
Cmyoung (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 12:10 PM
Advanced

Still jerking

Glad to hear. I left work for lunch about an hour ago and low and behold another jerk. Im chalking it up to a cold start. I cant wrap my head around it. It was fine this morning on the way to work. Now during lunch ( city driving) it jerked a time or two. I don't know if Im being too anal or some jerkiness normal for DCT? Im not going to make a big deal about it right now and drive the car for a while longer before I contact my technician again. Granted, I will say its definitely not as bad as it was before in terms of severity in jerk/lunge/hesitation.

Thanks for the info and update. I spoke with my service manager on Monday, and he also said they have an ECU update available. I have an appointment to take it in tomorrow, so they can work on it Friday. Here's hoping it resolves the poor cold shifting. I will update my results after I get it back.
Mine has done this from day one as well. I wonder then if the jerkiness every now and then on this DCT is acceptable.

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
My car has been slow to shift from R to D from day one. I started a thread about it (can't locate the thread) and it seems to be the general consensus that the DCT behaves that way for every car.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Mine has done this from day one as well. I wonder then if the jerkiness every now and then on this DCT is acceptable.
The hard shift from 1 to 2 may be normal when cold - don't know. I know when warmed up mine is actually pretty smooth. I'm satisfied overall although I'll likely ask to have my ECU updated when I go in for my first oil change. I've been running in Normal mode for the past month and even at low speeds it's been fine. Maybe it's doing a good job learning my driving habits??
Cmyoung (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Advanced

Talking

I am by no means a car tech but maybe that's just what it needs to re-learn how daddy operates her since its been two weeks since I had her lol

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
The hard shift from 1 to 2 may be normal when cold - don't know. I know when warmed up mine is actually pretty smooth. I'm satisfied overall although I'll likely ask to have my ECU updated when I go in for my first oil change. I've been running in Normal mode for the past month and even at low speeds it's been fine. Maybe it's doing a good job learning my driving habits??
Old 11-19-2014, 12:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
A good reason not to buy the first model year. Or in Honda's case, at least the first two. I'm curious to see how these issues turn out in the long run.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
I wonder if I need to have the ECU Update applied even if my transmission is working swell?

I have had my TLX since 9/12/14 and have over 3700 miles on it. At the moment, I only have the cross-traffic-monitor no-beep issue.

I see no indications of a transmission issue. I wonder if the ECU update will bring me up to a good standard or if I am already sitting, miraculously at the good standard.

I definitely will go for the navi update on the first oil change. I am thinking of requesting the ECU update as well.

All around this is good news for those with tranny issues.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
For those of you that received the software update, do you know the program ID or program part number?

It may be listed on the service receipt.

Last edited by EE4Life; 11-19-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tlxsteve
I wonder if I need to have the ECU Update applied even if my transmission is working swell?
Usually the dealer applies a fix in response to a specific complaint. Why risk it? I'd leave it well enough alone (so will I) unless there is some other issue they want to fix and new DCT software is a part of the mix. Mine is shifting very smoothly after warm-up, and no more abrupt than other cars when cold.
tlxsteve (11-20-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 07:50 PM
9th Gear

I'm having same problem.

4 cyl TLX in traffic was a nightmare. Car lounges as you try to slow down. When you accelerate, the car hesitates then jumps. I got motion sickness. Going to call dealer in the morning.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

Well I am glad to see I am not the only one having issues with my TLX. I called the dealer today about the tranny issues I am having along with some other problems and was told by the service department they had no idea what I was talking about with the ECU update or the hard shifting. So needless to say I take my car in next Monday for it to be looked at. Hopefully they can get the update quickly and it helps!
Old 11-25-2014, 07:53 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
I have started mine in temps as low as -20. No problems - maybe as a Nov delivery it has already been updated (but I don't have the infotainment updates). -29 expected Friday! Yikes.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
I dropped off my car at the dealer today for the NAV update and also told them about the transmission. They didn't know about any ECU updates. I will post an update once I get my car back
tlxsteve (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sstfnv
I dropped off my car at the dealer today for the NAV update and also told them about the transmission. They didn't know about any ECU updates. I will post an update once I get my car back
Has anyone heard the dealer mention the "learning procedures" on the attached image from one of the One Pack videos? I don't have any issues with my DCT, but the One Pack had a section on the DCT issue and I see in the captured image it mentions "Excessive shock on upshifts or downshifts". The fix in the manual is the re-learn procedure. Could that be the "update" posters have mentioned? It's in the TLX service manual, and one Tech got kudos in the video for fixing a DCT issue by using the manual's steps.
Attached Thumbnails 8sp DCT Transmission issues-dct.jpg  
Old 11-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Next to last ONEPACK video mentions tranny issues

Folks,

The next to last, #12, ONEPACK video (the last was a wrapup and thank you) dated Oct. 31, asks for specific info on shift issues, including auto speed, accelerate/decelerate, specific gear change, etc. With continued complaints across the country, I would expect this gets addressed soon. ONEPACK even mentioned the feared "social media", as one of the places that complaints were being registered. Acura cannot afford to ignore Social Media!

Thanks to all of you for all the useful info.

Spedprof
Old 11-26-2014, 10:43 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jim256
Has anyone heard the dealer mention the "learning procedures" on the attached image from one of the One Pack videos? I don't have any issues with my DCT, but the One Pack had a section on the DCT issue and I see in the captured image it mentions "Excessive shock on upshifts or downshifts". The fix in the manual is the re-learn procedure. Could that be the "update" posters have mentioned? It's in the TLX service manual, and one Tech got kudos in the video for fixing a DCT issue by using the manual's steps.
Last time I checked there was no software update for the DCT. Being a Honda Tech I can diagnose, check for bulletins and update Honda and Acura's ECM/PCM's. Since owning a TLX with the DCT I have experienced the issues others are having. I may try the stroke sensor learning procedure to see if that helps. I will post more when I see what this actually does.
jim256 (11-27-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Intermediate

After six days at the dealership, I finally got my car back last night. I can assure you there is an ECU update for the DCT. However, it is not advertised to the Acura shops (which is probably why they will say they don't know anything about it when you ask). Your tech will have to call into the Acura Techline to get it. Acura appears to be very interested in fixing these shifting issues that many of us are having. They will ask your tech to take a "snapshot" of the issue, which is basically a 30 second system data reading before, and 30 second after reading when the "event" happens. They must send this in before they can get the update. Then after the update is applied, they have to send in another snapshot if it happens again.

After they applied the update to my car, the tech said it did not feel any different. When he called the Techline again they said he would have to go through the learning process, which involves a min. of 30 miles of different driving conditions, and the use of the paddle shifters to "teach" the clutches the appropriate pressures to apply. After he did that, and let it sit for a day to cool down, he said it did feel better. However, he cautioned that this may still not solve my issues, and to please call them next week to update them whether it is fixed or not.

Well on the drive home, for the first little bit when it was warming up, it did still feel that the shifts were... firm. Didn't notice the slipping though that I had experienced before. After it was warm, I did wind it up a bit to feel it out, and the shifts felt a bit different although they were pretty smooth. I'm going to watch it for the next few days to see if this update made much of a difference. Thank you all for your contributions to this thread. Being that Acura just announced that the 2016 ILX will also have the 2.4L and 8sp DCT, it seems that Acura is putting a lot of trust in this power train.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Other side notes:

yeah right, you wished. The ZF 8spd is the best trans that I have ever experienced (have owned lexus, audi, toyota and GM). Whether it is reliable or not I have no idea (owned X3 for 4 months) but the gear shifting is butter smooth [cold, hot or at plasma temperatures], WAAAYYY better than in the RDX (terrible in stop/go traffic)
Old 11-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up ECU Update Exists!

After six days at the dealership, I finally got my car back last night. I can assure you there is an ECU update for the DCT. However, it is not advertised to the Acura shops (which is probably why they will say they don't know anything about it when you ask). Your tech will have to call into the Acura Techline to get it. Acura appears to be very interested in fixing these shifting issues that many of us are having. They will ask your tech to take a "snapshot" of the issue, which is basically a 30 second system data reading before, and 30 second after reading when the "event" happens. They must send this in before they can get the update. Then after the update is applied, they have to send in another snapshot if it happens again.

After they applied the update to my car, the tech said it did not feel any different. When he called the Techline again they said he would have to go through the learning process, which involves a min. of 30 miles of different driving conditions, and the use of the paddle shifters to "teach" the clutches the appropriate pressures to apply. After he did that, and let it sit for a day to cool down, he said it did feel better. However, he cautioned that this may still not solve my issues, and to please call them next week to update them whether it is fixed or not.

Well on the drive home, for the first little bit when it was warming up, it did still feel that the shifts were... firm. Didn't notice the slipping though that I had experienced before. After it was warm, I did wind it up a bit to feel it out, and the shifts felt a bit different although they were pretty smooth. I'm going to watch it for the next few days to see if this update made much of a difference. Thank you all for your contributions to this thread. Being that Acura just announced that the 2016 ILX will also have the 2.4L and 8sp DCT, it seems that Acura is putting a lot of trust in this power train.
Glad to hear that your problems are becoming resolved. Also glad to hear that there truly is an ECU update.

I have been telling my friends about the ECU update but they haven't been as lucky as yourself.

Would you know if there is a part number or something that can better reference the ECU update?

It would be nice to prove the existence of the ECU update once and for all.

Thanks again!
Old 11-29-2014, 10:04 AM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
-24 last night. Still no tranny issues. My only issue is it holding high gears too much at low speed, even in sport. I just don't like the low frequency rumble it generates. Minor issue.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Intermediate

UPDATE: After a week of driving my TLX with the updated transmission software, it has become apparent that the update had little to no effect on the shifting issues. Yesterday on the way into work, it seemed that the shifting was much improved. Very smooth from the first shift out of the garage, and all the way in it seemed like everything was great. Today, I had hard shifts, and the slipping between gears had returned... On the plus side, it seems that the delay between R and D was minimized a bit, and I haven't had the hard slam into first as I was coming to a stop (although it has been "firm" a few times). However, even in Sport, this transmission wants to upshift way to soon, resulting in a bogging down of the motor and a lot of vibration in the steering wheel. I don't understand why even in sport mode it wants to be in 8th gear at 40MPH. It also slams into a lower gear as I come to an intersection, slow down, and then accelerate again at anything other than a feather touch of the accelerator.

So, I guess I'll call my dealer back up and let them know this thing still isn't right. Unfortunately, I'm already looking at replacement vehicles. Sad, this car had so much potential.
tlxsteve (12-03-2014)
Old 12-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

UPDATE: After a week of driving my TLX with the updated transmission software, it has become apparent that the update had little to no effect on the shifting issues. Yesterday on the way into work, it seemed that the shifting was much improved. Very smooth from the first shift out of the garage, and all the way in it seemed like everything was great. Today, I had hard shifts, and the slipping between gears had returned... On the plus side, it seems that the delay between R and D was minimized a bit, and I haven't had the hard slam into first as I was coming to a stop (although it has been "firm" a few times). However, even in Sport, this transmission wants to upshift way to soon, resulting in a bogging down of the motor and a lot of vibration in the steering wheel. I don't understand why even in sport mode it wants to be in 8th gear at 40MPH. It also slams into a lower gear as I come to an intersection, slow down, and then accelerate again at anything other than a feather touch of the accelerator.

So, I guess I'll call my dealer back up and let them know this thing still isn't right. Unfortunately, I'm already looking at replacement vehicles. Sad, this car had so much potential.
Maybe with your findings they can update the ECU update?
Old 12-03-2014, 01:31 PM
9th Gear

I was told to take my Acura TLX home and wait to hear from Acura on this transmission issue.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have under 500 miles on my 4 cyl 8sp TLX and have also noticed the condition described, especially when cold. Given there's an apparent ECU/PCM fix, I assume this is a common problem with a current/future fix. That said, it's not a condition I fine annoying enough to mention to the dealer. Thanks to this thread, I will certainly do so now.

Quick Reply: 8sp DCT Transmission issues