What do you actually like about the TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 05:53 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
What do you actually like about the TLX?

Since the production TLX debuted in New York a few days ago, there are quite a few criticisms on this board, and many if not all of them are quite justified, e.g. that interior wood trim, the unappealing rims, the silly rear exhaust "design".... anyway, just thought I should start a thread to celebrate the good things!!!

So, what are the good things in the TLX? I can't tell you much about how the car drives or how quiet the cabin is at this moment, but let me start here with something that we know already:

1. Fold down rear seats - after years of complaining about it, finally we got fold down rear seats! YAY!

2. The integrated navigation screen - I absolutely despise the new trend among the German brands (BMW, MB, Audi) and now even Lexus, for making the navigation screen look like a stand alone unit on the dash board - it looks so much like an "after thought" and it's so cheap and tacky looking!!! What is up with this horrendous trend? Thank goodness, we still have a navigation screen here that is well integrated in the design of the dash board. It looks so much more premium this way.

3. Those jewel eye headlights - I love how they look - whenever you approach a new MDX now, you can tell that it's an Acura from far away due to these beautiful lights. It's an Acura signature now!

Please feel free to add to this list!!!
Old 04-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I like the reduced length, Siri voice and the new safety features. The fold down seat and flat trunk will also be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:30 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
It doesn't look butt ugly like the 4G, especially the pre-2012 models.

The center console is less "busy"-looking.

Smaller than the 4G.

Folding seats.

LED headlights. I'm not a fan of the JewelEye system, but it looks nice on the TLX.

Front end has styling cues from the 3G TL.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:22 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
There is a lot to like about this car. The main two criticisms are that the styling is not 'as bold' and that it does not have enough HP. I think the styling is good enough. Not too offensive to effect sales, but nice enough to to make a nice mature car. As for HP, 0-60 in <6 sec is plenty for me. Even the I4 would be enough for me. For some there will never be enough HP.

As for selling points:

- More appropriate size (for me) and lower weight. Stronger body and likely to get 5-star and Top Safety Pick +
- Sound deadening... haven't driven this car obviously but it sounds like they have taken positive steps in this direction, suitable for a luxury car.
- P-AWS, while 90% of the time I probably won't need it, and I've done without rear wheel steer for 30 year, but heck, it may be helpful and I suspect it doesn't add as much cost to the car as we think.
- Fuel Economy, this helps, even if I'm forced to buy the V6, it will help this car hold its value if it has a reputation for fuel efficiency.
- Ventilated Seats, even if I have to buy the Advanced trim at least they offer it. Not sure how well it will work, but it is what I wanted.
- FOLDING REAR SEATS! Finally... this would have been a deal breaker, thankfully they put them in. If the TL had folding rear seats I might have bought one years ago.
- Interior Styling, I like it. Looks suitably upscale. Probably not as nice as a 5-series, or Audi A6, but I'm not paying that price either, so it looks like it will work for me.
- LED Headlights, I've seen these on the road a few times now and I think they are an improvement over HIDs.
- Comfortable seating for rear passengers, the IS I was looking at is pretty small, the TLX will be lower costs, higher power, and larger than the IS.
- Driver Aids, too early to say how they are going to work for me. I'm not used to them at all. But some of them may be a nice safety net. The Blind Spot Information (BSI), Expanded View Driver’s Side Mirror, and Cross Traffic Monitor are probably going to be good to have since the rear view out of this car is likely to be less than desirable.

In EVERY way this car is a vast improvement on my 1G TSX. Of course it is going to cost me if I buy it. Yes there are some desirements I would have liked, but I can't have everything. This car delivers all I NEED and and most of what I WANT, just hope the price is right.

There has been so many months of wishful thinking about what this car would be, it will take time for people to accept what the car now is. Especially after getting hopes up at the Prototype. But the reality is here now, the production car is defined, it is what it is. We'll have to see it in person and experience it first hand, only then will we get the true feel for what the car delivers or doesn't. Only a month to wait to see and drive it in person.
The following users liked this post:
Gen4MDX (05-03-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
I like that they are finally starting production. The 4G TL was such a lead balloon they should have started production a couple of years ago.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
So there's 4 responses here as opposed to 2 PAGES worth of "What would you change" thread for a car that hasn't even come out yet..........
The following 3 users liked this post by Steven Bell:
Goosew (05-02-2014), rockyfeller (05-01-2014), TeamAcura (05-01-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 08:20 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
So there's 4 responses here as opposed to 2 PAGES worth of "What would you change" thread for a car that hasn't even come out yet..........
This is what a mod should be doing on forums -- to drum interest in a dead thread.

I never owned a TL but here goes:
  1. Exterior looks good. Interior is good enough.
  2. Fuel economy of the V6 at 21/32 is vastly improved over the 4G TL
  3. 2-driver memory is standard
  4. SH-AWD version is hopefully better (not just lighter) than the one in the outgoing 4G TL
  5. Availability of CMBS and ACC
  6. There are many who dislike the production model which means a used TLX will likely not be commanding any premium
  7. There is integration with the iphone, which I don't have btw, wished it was also compatible with Android phones.
  8. Premium gas is recommended, so I can continue using regular gas just like in my Civic and Accord.
  9. The engine idle stop, if smooth, is a nice feature.

I'm getting the longest extended warranty for sure.

Last edited by internalaudit; 04-30-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I think there is a lot to like about the TLX, and am not sure why some seem to be so critical. For starters, and of most importance, the TLX is a return to the design language from the 3G TL which is one of Acura's best sedans ever. The rear and side profile especially remind me of the 3G TL.

I also like that Acura has maximized the efficiency of the dimensions of the car, reducing some length from the overhangs on the 4G TL. I will have to see the interior in person to be the final judge of it, but from the photos, it appears that Acura got this right too.

And if Acura can come out with a high-performance version of the TLX, and two hybrid versions (one a hybrid SH-AWD like the RLX, and one like the 4-cylinder Accord Hybrid), I think Acura will have something to offer for everyone.
The following 4 users liked this post by bnilhome:
Gen4MDX (05-03-2014), Goosew (05-02-2014), KeithL (05-01-2014), mylove4cars (05-01-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 10:15 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
LOL! Unfortunately Steven, what you pointed speaks a lot about the TLX (at least the production model) from an enthusiast point of view.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:06 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I am also a fan of a few things some people aren't crazy about. Most people know I am a lighting fanatic and I have the UFO car. Naturally I'm a fan of the Jewel lights.

Some people like knobs. I don't. I have lamented over and over again about the trend AWAY from touchscreens in the last 5yrs. I just can't understand it. BMW started this whole nonsense 10 yrs ago and BOMBED with it. It was a step backwards. People hated it, it's a known thing. So instead of throwing that idea in the garbage where it belongs other manufacturers tried to copy it in a better way?? No, I get it, it's 4 generations better now. OK. Sorry I still don't like it. I understand, it's about driver distraction etc. If multi-tasking is that much of an issue then you shouldn't be using a knob or anything else anyways. The screen is the way to go. Gets to the point, makes sense, easier for me to use. I think Cadillac has done this the best, everything is "smooth" and people complain but it has haptic feedback, I think it's amazing. I find it sad nobody wants to copycat THAT. Screw iDrive. I know some complaints are there about the 2 screen format by Honda and some redundancy. So what? It's nice to have options and more than one way to do something. So I think this is one of the things I like most of the TLX.

I like the fold down seats. Helps me hear my subs better .

The car looks tighter and taut. Not like a boat. The back end looks great IMO. As mentioned the tech goodies are a big plus. This car has everything, no complaints there. I also am a big fan of ventilated seats, I always wish my 3G had it.

I think why this thread is dead is we agree on most of the positive things about the car. They got quite a bit right. But it's so obvious they got so much wrong and it's beyond most people why Acura still isn't "getting it". But I will give them credit; at least they ARE getting closer and not further away.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 05-01-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Did you guys see the new Lexus GS commercial ripping Merc, Audi, and BMW? Hilarious!

I like the TLX lines, and the stance

Nothing else has impressed me, I hope Acura removes head from ass and released a more powerful model within a year or 2. The RLX is never going to sell AS-IS, so they may as well move the SH SH-AWD tech to the TLX. There you go Acura, you can write me a check
Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
+1

But I like the headlights and the technology being offered.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:51 AM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an 2008 TL with Tech Package now and so far the TLX has been the only car that I am interested in upgrading to.

1. I like the way the TLX exterior looks. I liked the prototype looks better but I still like the exterior of the TLX.

2. I love the interior of the TLX! Some people are not fans of wood grain or wood grain look but I am. The interior has a more upscale look to m.

3. I love the jewel eye headlights

4. I like the safety features. Most people don't look at safety features but wrecks scare me.....so I'm glad that Acura took time to make the car safe.

5. I like the fuel economy. Right now with my TL I'm getting between 22 and 25 mpg so I'm happy the TLX will be about the same.

6.I happy with the amount of horsepower. With my TL I get a little less in horse power but that is still plenty to me so given the TLX will give me a little more horsepower even though I was satisfied with less is a plus for me.

7. I'm happy the car is still forward wheel drive. I don't want all wheel because I don't live somewhere where is snows a lot but we do have the occasional ice storm or small snow storm so I prefer forward wheel over rear but don't think it's worth paying for all wheel.

8. I like the reliability of acura. My TL has about 128,000 miles on it and it has been very reliable.

9. I like the fold down rear back seats
The following 4 users liked this post by Acura_Girl_Forever:
a35tl (05-03-2014), internalaudit (05-03-2014), mr2core (05-04-2014), Rocketsfan (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 09:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Beside obvious Acura things, what I like about the TLX is its upscale and quiet interior. This is something Acura has always been a notch below competitors. I will have to drive it and see how much improvement there is but if they make it as quiet as the MDX, i will be happy for them.

The exterior I dont love or hate. Its pretty neutral except the jewel headlights.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Girl_Forever
I have an 2008 TL with Tech Package now and so far the TLX has been the only car that I am interested in upgrading to.

1. I like the way the TLX exterior looks. I liked the prototype looks better but I still like the exterior of the TLX.

2. I love the interior of the TLX! Some people are not fans of wood grain or wood grain look but I am. The interior has a more upscale look to m.

3. I love the jewel eye headlights

4. I like the safety features. Most people don't look at safety features but wrecks scare me.....so I'm glad that Acura took time to make the car safe.

5. I like the fuel economy. Right now with my TL I'm getting between 22 and 25 mpg so I'm happy the TLX will be about the same.

6.I happy with the amount of horsepower. With my TL I get a little less in horse power but that is still plenty to me so given the TLX will give me a little more horsepower even though I was satisfied with less is a plus for me.

7. I'm happy the car is still forward wheel drive. I don't want all wheel because I don't live somewhere where is snows a lot but we do have the occasional ice storm or small snow storm so I prefer forward wheel over rear but don't think it's worth paying for all wheel.

8. I like the reliability of acura. My TL has about 128,000 miles on it and it has been very reliable.

9. I like the fold down rear back seats
It shows in your username

I like the TLX very much too, especially since it will be the first car I will likely be buying with the SH-AWD (one of the better AWD systems) and V6 engine with VCM (since we do drive a lot of highway miles).

The last time I drove a V6 was my dad's 1995 MB C280 and my brother's 1994 Toyota Camry.

Now that the extra fuel consumption of the V6 is trivial over the I4 (15-20% difference), I'm going to go for the bigger displacement.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
^ The fuel economy of the V6 TLX will certainly be better than a 3rd gen TL but a 3rd gen is no slouch on the highway. I routinely get 32 MPG and that's going 70+ MPH. I would hope for about 35 MPG with a TLX in same conditions. The TLX will be more impressive in the city when the start/stop kicks in at lights- that should be good for 2-3 extra MPG in my drive. I would hope for 21-22MPG with a TLX instead of the 19 MPG I usually get with a 26 MPH average speed per tank.
The following 2 users liked this post by LaCostaRacer:
internalaudit (05-03-2014), Rocketsfan (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
OK, I'll bite.

I like the external design, though it would have been about 40% better with the body kit on the concept car.

Reported mileage.

New transmissions sound pretty cool and for those who bring up the 2G TL/Honda 5-speed tranny failures, that was now over ten years ago and the newer transmissions have been better.

Interior looks pretty good.

Lighter version of mechanical SH-AWD, of which I have been a devotee.

Basically, the SH-AWD version will be the equivalent of the recently departed 2G RL, and I dearly loved my Sleeping Beauty, as I called my RL.

The wheels can be swapped out for RonJons and the car will look even better.

I still prefer the RLX Sport Hybrid (again, a wheel change totally changes the "blahness" of that car, too) but I'd certainly "slum it" in a well-appointed TLX if I had to.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
I was extremely bullish toward the concept, but the production appears to be quite good to me. It would certainly be on my list if I were in the market.

Hopefully, it lives up to Acura's reliability. It certainly looks premium enough of consideration.

1) LED headlights (makes me jealous in my TSX)
2) transmissions (although an MT needs to happen)
3) Fuel economy (assumed, considering the 4 cylinder in my TSX gets 27)
4) infotainment
5) Hopefully the SH-AWD lives up to expectations.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Until i see a body kit that helps resemble the concept or a type-s version that is more than just a body kit and a badge there really isnt much for me to say i like. There is the obvious Acura reliability, and safety. Handling and ride is an unknown, performance is an unknown, trans are an unknown.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I like the Candy Apple Red, which they are not planning to offer.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
The price
Old 05-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 14 Posts
Its a car
Old 05-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
1) styling. It's understated, modest, and will age well. Some say it's boring, but I think it's actually pretty sleek from certain angles. Acuras have never been bold and flashy, so I don't know why people are surprised here.

2) 8DCT + I4. This powertrain appears pretty exciting. There's no replacement for the joy of 6mt, but a DCT has its own merits. Couple that with the classic high revving Honda 4cyl, good stuff.

3) fuel economy. The turbo competition can put impressive EPA numbers, but Honda NA actually delivers in the real world.

4) PAWS. Sounds like it makes handling pretty interesting.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
I'll be blunt, junk.

The car is at least 40HP underpowered.
The car from the rear looks like at least 4 other newer vehicles.
Jewel headlights haven't swayed me yet.
Drive train options are junk, imo.
The interior...I'm not going to say anything else.
And most importantly the price is way too high IMO!
Old 05-12-2014, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by maharajamd
I'll be blunt, junk.

The car is at least 40HP underpowered.
The car from the rear looks like at least 4 other newer vehicles.
Jewel headlights haven't swayed me yet.
Drive train options are junk, imo.
The interior...I'm not going to say anything else.
And most importantly the price is way too high IMO!
Wrong thread
a35tl (05-12-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 10:25 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by qingcong
1) styling. It's understated, modest, and will age well. Some say it's boring, but I think it's actually pretty sleek from certain angles. Acuras have never been bold and flashy, so I don't know why people are surprised here.
Everything about the 4G TL was bold and flashy. The ZDX styling was well ahead of its time as well for Acura. The TLX exterior seems a little dated and just does not have that WOW factor.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
What do I like about the new TLX?? So far pretty much nothing...I'm glad for the slushbox drivers about the new gearboxes and hopefully they will perform better (read faster) than the current Honda auto trans and the folding seats are a welcomed useful feature, maybe the only serious flaw of the otherwise excellent 4G.

The DCT is intriguing but need to see how it performs.

Design wise I would not call it a "turd on wheels" like I described the RLX which is deservely crashing and burning in sales (actually never crashed since it never went anywhere in the first place, amazing how even Hyundai can come up with a much more original design with the new Genesis) but it is pretty close.

Not too offensive, no ambitious at all, old, already seen, so much derivative from pretty much everybody else, a bit of Lexus, a bit of Mazda 6 and so on.... a perfect example of "me too" style, it leaves me as cold as a Camry does, a concoction of blandness, a statement about lack of originality ...I find the Buick Regal much more attractive frankly...if you do not want to be noticed, hey this is the perfect car for you.

The so called prototype was no better.

I will pay a visit once it hits the showrooms just to confirm my initial impression and I do not think I'm interested in even taking it for a spin.....not very hopeful of earth shattering performance numbers either, we just have to wait some mag tests.

I'm not convinced that this slug will sell either....I predict bottom of the pile or near to it sales number, especially if they do not launch spiced up versions (Type S or, God forbid Acura, Type R) to improve the image

As far as I'm concerned, my 4G will be my first and last Acura and as I said before it seems to me that the 4G was a fantastic car not because of Acura but despite of Acura.

The company is completely directionless, no mission, no message to the public.....well actually they have one "I'm a mediocre luxury brand, I cannot really compete with the best but, hey, my cars are reliable!!"

If they keep going this way, they will close shop within 5 years which I think they should.

I apologize for the brutal post but I cannot really come up with anything nicer to say.

Last edited by saturno_v; 05-13-2014 at 01:43 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by saturno_v:
cokorote (05-14-2014), jwong77 (05-14-2014), nttstt444 (05-13-2014), quantum7 (05-13-2014), weather (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 03:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
^^^^^well actually they have one "I'm a mediocre luxury brand, I cannot really compete with the best but, hey, my cars are reliable!!"

I think that is a perfect summary of the Acura plan.
I have always loved the reliability (thus no Audi or BMW in my garage), but just wish Acura could actually do reliable AND performance (at least a little). Just kills me that there is an opportunity to build a really fun car with luxury that actually can last over 100k miles for those of us who put big miles on a car and therefore can't lease. All of my Acura's have or had well over 150,000 miles on them. Not sure if TLX will make the cut. Used to be that boring and reliable was just Lexus.....
Old 05-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
What do I like about the new TLX?? So far pretty much nothing...I'm glad for the slushbox drivers about the new gearboxes and hopefully they will perform better (read faster) than the current Honda auto trans and the folding seats are a welcomed useful feature, maybe the only serious flaw of the otherwise excellent 4G.

The DCT is intriguing but need to see how it performs.

Design wise I would not call it a "turd on wheels" like I described the RLX which is deservely crashing and burning in sales (actually never crashed since it never went anywhere in the first place, amazing how even Hyundai can come up with a much more original design with the new Genesis) but it is pretty close.

Not too offensive, no ambitious at all, old, already seen, so much derivative from pretty much everybody else, a bit of Lexus, a bit of Mazda 6 and so on.... a perfect example of "me too" style, it leaves me as cold as a Camry does, a concoction of blandness, a statement about lack of originality ...I find the Buick Regal much more attractive frankly...if you do not want to be noticed, hey this is the perfect car for you.

The so called prototype was no better.

I will pay a visit once it hits the showrooms just to confirm my initial impression and I do not think I'm interested in even taking it for a spin.....not very hopeful of earth shattering performance numbers either, we just have to wait some mag tests.

I'm not convinced that this slug will sell either....I predict bottom of the pile or near to it sales number, especially if they do not launch spiced up versions (Type S or, God forbid Acura, Type R) to improve the image

As far as I'm concerned, my 4G will be my first and last Acura and as I said before it seems to me that the 4G was a fantastic car not because of Acura but despite of Acura.

The company is completely directionless, no mission, no message to the public.....well actually they have one "I'm a mediocre luxury brand, I cannot really compete with the best but, hey, my cars are reliable!!"

If they keep going this way, they will close shop within 5 years which I think they should.

I apologize for the brutal post but I cannot really come up with anything nicer to say.

Wow, Very well said! You pretty much put my thoughts(about Acura these days and the TLX) into words.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I actually like a lot about the TLX and it they do a Type-S I would be all over it. I do wish they would offer better wheels and would do full LEDs, turn signals, etc. what I like about. My A6 is there is not a single incandescent bulb anywhere in my car. No car is perfect, but if Acura can smooth out some of the minor things they might be on the way to another 3G. I think the main stream will snap up TLXs easily.
a35tl (05-13-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 02:30 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Once I see a TLX with the correct set of wheels on it. I think I will be sold. Look at this RLX.

http://www.carid.com/acura-rlx-accessories/
hadokenuh (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 07:30 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
Used to be that boring and reliable was just Lexus.....
Agreed. Lexus is pretty darn ambitious these days. The V8 IS-F, new IS 350 F sport, new GS, and LFA. And coming soon RF, RFC, and NX SUV. And all of said Lexus models are aggressively styled.

I'm not a fan of Lexus' sedan cramped interior ergonomics (I traded in a perfectly good IS250AWD b/c of cramped legs after only 4,000 miles), and the new IS isn't any better in terms of ergonomics. But at least Lexus is generating excitement with its styling and new driving dynamics.

And Acura, the dark horse, responds with... a TLX that is visually bland, less HP than the 4G TL, no 6MT, an old man Buick Regal like interior, and a less than sporty suspension. But wait, at least it's quieter inside!

Meh, the more I look at the TLX, the less I like it. There's just no wow factor IMHO.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Even the 15 Camry is going the more aggressive route for styling