Spied on the Street! 2018 Acura TLX (MMC)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 02:40 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Sigwill24
I hope they bring back the Color Anthracite Metallic! Also when is the car expected to be in dealer showrooms?

Thanks
They should also bring back Graphite Luster Metallic. It's arguably the best color for the car . Modern Steel Metallic isn't as good .
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 03:27 PM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
We should expect modest changes, with maybe the addition of a sport model. That's about it.
Sadly you're right..

Oops! CARB Confirms Aggressive Acura TLX Variant is Coming » AutoGuide.com News
Old 03-30-2017, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Sigwill24
I hope they bring back the Color Anthracite Metallic! Also when is the car expected to be in dealer showrooms?

Thanks
My '06 TL was Anthracite. Great color for a car IMHO.
TacoBello (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 08:39 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
They should also bring back Graphite Luster Metallic. It's arguably the best color for the car . Modern Steel Metallic isn't as good .
I agree! GLM is a dark grey and looks really good, Modern Steel is too light. Of course, I am biased since I have a GLM TLX haha. I'd also like to see a real silver such as Silver Moon on the 4G TL. Tired of seeing these blueish silver Acuras!
Old 03-30-2017, 08:42 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by silverTL6
If you dig in you will see that there are A-Spec variants for the I4, V6 FWD and V6 SHAWD - which is more than I was expecting personally.

If they execute the A-Spec properly it could be pretty good.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
As I felt about the 3G TL A-Spec, we 'needed' a Type S model. Hopefully as with the 3G, Acura will surprise us with a TLX-S.

Honestly, how much more of an ask could it be? Prior versions weren't substantially more powerful than the regular version. I can't imagine a Type S being something insurmountable to achieve at minimal cost.
TacoBello (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 07:48 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by atl7
I agree! GLM is a dark grey and looks really good, Modern Steel is too light. Of course, I am biased since I have a GLM TLX haha. I'd also like to see a real silver such as Silver Moon on the 4G TL. Tired of seeing these blueish silver Acuras!
Lunar Silver is awesome! I love it! Def a true silver with no tones added but it still looks different in different shades of light! I did really like the TL in GLM; thought it was the best color for the car but I absolutely love the TLX in LSM.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
As I felt about the 3G TL A-Spec, we 'needed' a Type S model. Hopefully as with the 3G, Acura will surprise us with a TLX-S.

Honestly, how much more of an ask could it be? Prior versions weren't substantially more powerful than the regular version. I can't imagine a Type S being something insurmountable to achieve at minimal cost.
and judging by how often I saw/see them on the roads, they sold pretty damn well for being the top of the line and most expensive trim.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:17 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
I owned a 3G Aspec for almost 8 years. Thing was a hoot to drive. Loved every minute behind the wheel. The car didn't need anymore power to be fun to drive.

The knock I have against my 5G shawd is that it's a bit boring to drive in comparison to my 3G Aspec. Unlike some of the comments here I don't think the car is slow. Yes, it takes longer than it should to get off the mark, but once it gets going it's gone. The wonder is that it turns an under 6 seconds 0-60 with that lethargic launch. If Acura, along with the appearance and hopefully tech upgrades, tightens up the TLX Aspec suspension a bit and reprograms the ZF 9 to squeeze another .5 seconds off the 0-60 times and allow permanent defeat of the engine cutoff function in sport mode I think that would be a car I could love.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:21 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by atl7
Oh I'm biased cause I have a GLM TLX as well . It's the only car that I wanted and when the dealer 'sold' my GLM TLX I demanded a dealer trade for another one. Fortunately it all worked out . GLM is more than a dark grey. There are hints of dark green and blue in there as well.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:25 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,515 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
I owned a 3G Aspec for almost 8 years. Thing was a hoot to drive. Loved every minute behind the wheel. The car didn't need anymore power to be fun to drive.

The knock I have against my 5G shawd is that it's a bit boring to drive in comparison to my 3G Aspec. Unlike some of the comments here I don't think the car is slow. Yes, it takes longer than it should to get off the mark, but once it gets going it's gone. The wonder is that it turns an under 6 seconds 0-60 with that lethargic launch. If Acura, along with the appearance and hopefully tech upgrades, tightens up the TLX Aspec suspension a bit and reprograms the ZF 9 to squeeze another .5 seconds off the 0-60 times and allow permanent defeat of the engine cutoff function in sport mode I think that would be a car I could love.
Having a 3.0L sh-sh-awd+7DCT could be the sport model (end up being very expensive) OR offer the V-6 TLX sh-awd tech or adv version with a 6MT. They can improve on the suspension and maybe offer a different color scheme and interior design upgrades. Adding a 6MT would be a very inexpensive addition to the lineup. Kicking myself for not getting my 06 TSX as a 6MT almost 11 years ago.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
I wonder why theres no shshawd for the mid cycle tlx
Old 03-31-2017, 03:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Having a 3.0L sh-sh-awd+7DCT could be the sport model (end up being very expensive) OR offer the V-6 TLX sh-awd tech or adv version with a 6MT. They can improve on the suspension and maybe offer a different color scheme and interior design upgrades. Adding a 6MT would be a very inexpensive addition to the lineup. Kicking myself for not getting my 06 TSX as a 6MT almost 11 years ago.
Everybody is moving away from the MT. Don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell you will see one on the TLX. Acura's history with the MT is a low take rate on the 3G & an invisible take rate on the 4G.

Also adding an additional transmission to a production cars sourcing, building & certification process is not chump change. Even BMW the lone holdout for a long time is constantly eliminating MT's from its product line. Read they will release 40 new & upgraded modes in the next few years most without MT's
Old 04-05-2017, 07:37 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
China gets a long wheelbase TLX,.
Long-wheelbase Acura TLX to debut at 2017 Shanghai auto show

The stretched TLX will be sold exclusively in China where there is big demand for executive sedans with extra legroom in the rear. This is because many executives in China get around busy urban areas with the help of a chauffeur.

Most of the TLX’s rivals offer a long-wheelbase option in China. And even some cars you don’t expect to be chauffeur driven, such as the BMW X1, offer a long-wheelbase option in the country.

The Shanghai auto show opens its doors on April 19.
TSX69 (04-06-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 08:13 PM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
Well that sucks. I would love a stretched TLX.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:48 AM
Calgarian

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
I fully optioned out TLX right now is less than the base model of a 340xi and by thousands. Compare the price of a fully optioned TLX to a fully optioned 340xi and there are not even in the same state. An M550 starts out at 72K before even adding in any packages. The TLX gives a very good combination of power/options/price and low cost to own maintenance/reliability wise. Can it be improved upon? Yes, definitely. Do I want so much added that its 50K plus to buy one? Not really. As for the S4 I have owned an Audi and it was not a cheap car to keep over the years. I would lease one but never buy one even if the price was the same as an Acura. Every repair was expensive no matter how minor it was so once the warranty was up the money started flowing out.
Acura has to move up from Honda by offering more performance and higher quality content. This will increase the price and push many current Acura owners away and likely back to Honda. It will also attract new buyers into Acura likely German buyers who are looking for more performance but tired of the maintenance issues.
silverTL6 (04-07-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 06:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian Andrews
Acura has to move up from Honda by offering more performance and higher quality content. This will increase the price and push many current Acura owners away and likely back to Honda. It will also attract new buyers into Acura likely German buyers who are looking for more performance but tired of the maintenance issues.
Let me know when that higher quality kicks in.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:38 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,594 Likes on 958 Posts
2 more days!!!

Very excited to see the new TLX!

Anyone more NY here? To give us their summary of the show.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Honestly after hearing all the good things about the hybrid MDX, I'm really hoping Acura will announce something similar. It'll be enough to exchange my TLX and extend the lease for a few more years instead of breaking and losing money. That's if is has AWD, if they use the Accord's and keep it FWD ... they can keep their cars for many more years before I'll come back. If they just do minor changes, I'll be very disappointed. But deep down I think we'll be surprised, the performance mantra seems to be increasing lately. Only two more days until we're floored or mopped lol
Old 04-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Ian Andrews
Not sure maintenance issues are as big a deal as 5 years ago. That said Acura would do well to step up but still under cut the German pricing. Think there is wiggle room there. Looks very much like Infiniti is taking a shot at them. KIA/Hyundai with the new Geneses standalone division run by X BMW-M group & Audi/Lamborghini guys running the show certainly are.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:59 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Honestly after hearing all the good things about the hybrid MDX, I'm really hoping Acura will announce something similar. It'll be enough to exchange my TLX and extend the lease for a few more years instead of breaking and losing money. That's if is has AWD, if they use the Accord's and keep it FWD ... they can keep their cars for many more years before I'll come back. If they just do minor changes, I'll be very disappointed. But deep down I think we'll be surprised, the performance mantra seems to be increasing lately. Only two more days until we're floored or mopped lol

Acura MDX Hybrid is getting rave reviews...I hope Acura changes their game plan. I am noticing more and more that the issue is not Acura but Honda. Honda isn't offering the resources and support that Acura needs.

Just let's look at Toyota and Nissan, both brands are supporting their luxury brand 100%. Lexus is in another level so I won't even bother but now even Infiniti is selling 18K units in a month thanks to QX30 and the new Q60. Also, Infiniti is revamping their SUV lineup with new model and tech. In order to achieve that, you need $$$$$$ folks. So it's clear that the parent company is injecting $$$$ and resources.

Let's wait and see
Old 04-09-2017, 02:09 PM
AZ Community Team

For Acura as premium brand to succeed, it needs a better lineup as well.
MDX
RDX
CDX (a smaller SUV is needed)
RLX (needs major changes to be competitive)
TLX (we will wait)
TLX Coupe/Sport version with 350HP+
ILX (needs major changes to be competitve)
NSX is great but another smaller and more affordable NSX like S2000

any thoughts?
Old 04-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Team Owner

Sounds good to me. Now send that list to Honda corporate, in Japan, and tell them to fuck right off from over controlling the North American Acura brand.

That in itself isn't new news. But seriously, Acura is trying to run a marathon with a ball and chain attached to one ankle, and a choke collar around its throat. Winning isn't exactly easy. If even at all possible.

the list you spelled there is exactly where Acura needs to be.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by silverTL6
That link referring to CARB says no powertrain changes are coming, just cosmetic. Which is horse because we already have this so called A-Spec variant. Its called the 2017 TLX "GT" Package.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
For Acura as premium brand to succeed, it needs a better lineup as well.
MDX
RDX
CDX (a smaller SUV is needed)
RLX (needs major changes to be competitive)
TLX (we will wait)
TLX Coupe/Sport version with 350HP+
ILX (needs major changes to be competitve)
NSX is great but another smaller and more affordable NSX like S2000

any thoughts?
I agree with additions:
Bring back the ZDX the CORRECT way with latest powertrains & improved front end(ie. no beak)
Baby ZDX based on RDX size.
Mini ZDX based on the new CDX

Infiniti QX30, MB GLA/GLC/GLE, BMW X4/X6, etc. are all showing the coupe-like SUV's are in demand.

Last edited by reddogTL; 04-09-2017 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Typo "exceptions" changed to "additions"
Old 04-09-2017, 11:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by reddogTL
That link referring to CARB says no powertrain changes are coming, just cosmetic. Which is horse because we already have this so called A-Spec variant. Its called the 2017 TLX "GT" Package.
Maybe the is a regulatory difference between the dealer tacking on an aero cladding & one coming from the factory as a distinct model.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:36 PM
Team Owner

Regulatory for who?
Old 04-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Regulatory for who?
The EPA or State Government (CARB) hitting the manufacturer. Acura wants to call it a separate model, Type-S whatever. The dealer is just hanging some accessories on the standard model when they do it.

When the GTO first came out it was a option on the Tempest. It later became its own separate standalone model. Perked up the insurance companies ears. Ding, ding, ding hear the cash register ring.

Just a though on the posting of the info blurb.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-10-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
New tech? I wonder if that means apple car play and android auto. It's definitely not a new engine
Old 04-10-2017, 05:38 PM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraFreeAgent
New tech? I wonder if that means apple car play and android auto. It's definitely not a new engine
Perhaps P-AWD and SH-AWS?
Old 04-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Team Owner

P-AWD-AWS would be pretty cool, actually.

Having all four wheels putting down power AND also steering would be awesome. But shiiiiiet.... That's a lot more components ultimately needing to be maintained, which would not be cheap in terms of ownership.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:04 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
So..we will find out tomorrow. still think no powertrain updates, otherwise they'd have mentioned in in their press release last week.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:17 PM
Team Owner

I'm still optimistically hoping for the best.

But a part of me is telling me to be a realist
Old 04-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 343 Posts
I do remember this happening in 2012..... They leaked images of the 2013 Lexus GS and it looked hideous. Then when you saw the actual pictures some people loved it and other people hated it.

So hopefully that happens here with the leaked images.

I agree there's no engine changes at all. Maybe the 10 speed, but I wouldn't bet on that.

If they don't put Apple Carplay and Android Auto in that's going to hurt them badly. However, they put it in the Accord for it's refresh in 2016, so I can see them doing it.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:09 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Complimentary airport security ejection system sponsored by United Airlines
Old 04-10-2017, 08:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Complimentary airport security ejection system sponsored by United Airlines
Its not Complimentary, you have to pay for the ticket to ride.
kurtatx (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 08:43 PM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
That was the Honda police taking away the Acura board member who voted for more performance
The following 2 users liked this post by mk5:
kurtatx (04-10-2017), TacoBello (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 890 Likes on 680 Posts
Well I am excited to log on to here tomorrow. Either going to be surprised or very disappointed.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 224 Posts

I would guess car play and android auto are a given. The civic has had that for two years and Acura dealers have been raising hell about it.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:24 PM
Team Owner

How about neutral?