Spied on the Street! 2018 Acura TLX (MMC)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
Are you serious? LOL
Nah can't be. They both have 4 wheels but that's about it.
The following 3 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
E90 Skye (03-15-2017), holografique (03-15-2017), Kense (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
those were not the sentiments when the car was released, and fans of the EF civic thought the EG was ugly and too bubbly. It wasn't until years later that a cult following happened for that car. Ask me how I know. I used to own a '92 Si. It was a utilitarian car and in completely stock form wasn't much to look at. Of course, after a suspension drop and wheels, the story started to slowly change.
True I had more in mind the sedan and coupe. As for hatchbacks, I prefer that the '88-91 Si ones.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Yep. They are both over-styled and have slightly odd proportions with a too-large wing on the deck.
The one thing Audi is not is over-styled. They purposely keep things simple and clean, their MMC's are always minimal. The Audi TT looks absolutely NOTHING like that monstrosity civic. One is an adult car, the other looks like it's for 16 year olds.
The following 4 users liked this post by Kense:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-15-2017), holografique (03-15-2017), kurtatx (03-21-2017), pyrodan007 (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 06:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
One is an adult car, the other looks like it's for 16 year olds.
This. 100%
Old 03-15-2017, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
The Civic forum is thataway.

Back on topic please.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Was at the local dealer last week. The manager there said he was at the acura meetings about 3 weeks back and they had a 2018 tlx there and he said its basicly what you see in the spy photos. Also said there will be an A-spec package but according to him a type S by 2020 would probably be the earliest and seemed to give a more likely date of 2022. So nothing new really and unless I am mistaken the prior Type-S releases where into the model cycle so I guess what he is saying about 2022 goes along with acura past behavior if they do indead opt for bring back the type S. I have literally been waiting years for them to bring it back to replace mine so I hope he is wrong and there is a surprise.
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (03-17-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 08:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
Was at the local dealer last week. The manager there said he was at the acura meetings about 3 weeks back and they had a 2018 tlx there and he said its basicly what you see in the spy photos. Also said there will be an A-spec package but according to him a type S by 2020 would probably be the earliest and seemed to give a more likely date of 2022. So nothing new really and unless I am mistaken the prior Type-S releases where into the model cycle so I guess what he is saying about 2022 goes along with acura past behavior if they do indead opt for bring back the type S. I have literally been waiting years for them to bring it back to replace mine so I hope he is wrong and there is a surprise.
Did he mention anything that's different about the power train options for the MMC TLX? If it looks meh but has good changes mechanically wise, I wouldn't mind giving it a chance!
Old 03-15-2017, 08:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Did he mention anything that's different about the power train options for the MMC TLX? If it looks meh but has good changes mechanically wise, I wouldn't mind giving it a chance!
From what he was aware there are no performance adds. Then again I have heard that Acura can be very secretive even with their dealers. Let hope the delay in not having it on display at any auto shows is because there is something more in the works. I am also hoping the "spy" photos are being taken at bad angles. If something like this pic comes out then I will have no hesitation on trading up without delay. Doesn't seem like such a stretch from where they are now but they do what they do.Hopefully Jon Ikeda heading things up will put them back in the right direction.

Last edited by jhb31; 03-15-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:51 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
i really like that but the concepts are always so much nicer than the production with acura im trying to stay loyal to the brand but fuck
Old 03-16-2017, 12:12 AM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
So now that the MDX Sport Hybrid has been officially announced with release next month my suspicion about that Sporty looking white TLX I think is going to carry over. This article says MDX Sport gets 3.0L V6 321hp hybrid with 7spd DCT which would knock the 0-60 of the MDX to low 5s. Active dampers are also included. This setup in the TLX should net 0-60 times in low 5s with a long shot in high 4s depending on how much weight difference after 3.5L to 3.0L engine shrink + weight addition of hybrid system.

Regardless the engine shrink will improve handling with less weight in the nose of the car and give better balance.
2017 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid Arrives in April, Starts at $52,935 - Motor Trend
Old 03-16-2017, 09:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by reddogTL
So now that the MDX Sport Hybrid has been officially announced with release next month my suspicion about that Sporty looking white TLX I think is going to carry over. This article says MDX Sport gets 3.0L V6 321hp hybrid with 7spd DCT which would knock the 0-60 of the MDX to low 5s. Active dampers are also included. This setup in the TLX should net 0-60 times in low 5s with a long shot in high 4s depending on how much weight difference after 3.5L to 3.0L engine shrink + weight addition of hybrid system.

Regardless the engine shrink will improve handling with less weight in the nose of the car and give better balance.
2017 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid Arrives in April, Starts at $52,935 - Motor Trend
I think if they want to see a performance model they would be better off going with a non-hybrid. Many performance people don't car for the hybrid technology or worry about the cost of gas. I think the hybrid has its place but I would rather not have it be the performance version of the tlx. Heck, the 2007/8 type S is documented at 5.3 to 5.5 second 0 to 60 times. Surely they can reproduce those numbers or better with 10 years of time for new technology.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:43 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I think we should just be happy there will be a Type S. Hopefully. Maybe.

I'd be interested in driving it if it comes with the sport hybrid system. My only wonder would be availability and how many of these they intend on selling.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
I'd be interested in driving it if it comes with the sport hybrid system. My only wonder would be availability and how many of these they intend on selling.
Make it right and people will buy them. Just look at Tesla, they cost a fortune but people want them, badly even in the Model 3. If Acura only makes hybrid TLX because of CAFE or to attract people and have poor supply, well it's lost sales since MMC will probably be the same just with new outside.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 03-16-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:30 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I think we should just be happy there will be a Type S. Hopefully. Maybe.

I'd take one for a drive too - but given the price point they would likely need to start at I don't see it happening - given the RLX Sport Hybrid already exists. Not that they would need to worry about cutting into the sales for the RLX SH (since they sell 3 of those annually ) but they would then need to worry about competing in a completely different sector outside of the value luxury. Frankly if they would put a Turbo 6 in the TLX with a fair boost in hp, put some performance Summer tires on it and add some red leather stitching or whatever in the cabin they would silence the majority of the unhappy blokes methinks.
The following 3 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
a35tl (03-16-2017), BEAR-AvHistory (03-16-2017), mapleloaf (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:30 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
For the MDX, considering the Sport hybrid model only has a $1500 premium over the SH-AWD model, may be the TLX Sport hybrid tech package can be had for $43.2k.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:35 PM
Team Owner

I think a turbo 6 would be fantastic, but I don't see it happening at the earliest until the 2G TLX. Even then, who knows.

The only reason the sport hybrid makes sense to me is that for whatever the car has for power, I have a feeling it will only be limited to the SH-AWD version. I can't imagine Honda pushing over 300hp to the wheels of a fwd sedan. I know the CTR does, but that's a special car all on its own, with a track focus. It's not for the average buyer and the CTR had its suspension designed right off the bat to handle the power and reduce torque steer. I'm not sure the same was done with the TLX.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Just a thought. The way the premium sport sedan market is going the 5 second bracket will be slow. Seems like the magazine spec racers are showing many more 4 second cars as the new generations are released.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:03 PM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
In light of these comments I wonder about the big exhaust outlets on the white car seen in the spy photos that have circulated. Is this a cosmetic-only touch? (Really hope not). Or does it indicate a higher performance powertrain option? I have seen some who seem to have a little inside knowledge speculate that the CTR turbo 4 may be slotted into a TLX with a 6MT. That might be interesting, coupled with SH-AWD. But who knows at this point.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
I think a turbo 6 would be fantastic, but I don't see it happening at the earliest until the 2G TLX. Even then, who knows.

The only reason the sport hybrid makes sense to me is that for whatever the car has for power, I have a feeling it will only be limited to the SH-AWD version. I can't imagine Honda pushing over 300hp to the wheels of a fwd sedan. I know the CTR does, but that's a special car all on its own, with a track focus. It's not for the average buyer and the CTR had its suspension designed right off the bat to handle the power and reduce torque steer. I'm not sure the same was done with the TLX.
The power issue begins and ends with AWD as a standard for performance models. I get you can eliminate torque steer with clever engineering but you shouldn't have to. Acura should focus their efforts on other engineering tech.
TacoBello (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 05:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
I'd take one for a drive too - but given the price point they would likely need to start at I don't see it happening - given the RLX Sport Hybrid already exists. Not that they would need to worry about cutting into the sales for the RLX SH (since they sell 3 of those annually ) but they would then need to worry about competing in a completely different sector outside of the value luxury. Frankly if they would put a Turbo 6 in the TLX with a fair boost in hp, put some performance Summer tires on it and add some red leather stitching or whatever in the cabin they would silence the majority of the unhappy blokes methinks.
I couldn't agree more!
Old 03-16-2017, 09:24 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I think if they want to see a performance model they would be better off going with a non-hybrid. Many performance people don't car for the hybrid technology or worry about the cost of gas. I think the hybrid has its place but I would rather not have it be the performance version of the tlx. Heck, the 2007/8 type S is documented at 5.3 to 5.5 second 0 to 60 times. Surely they can reproduce those numbers or better with 10 years of time for new technology.
Under normal circumstances for most brands I agree with you. However since the NSX release with its hybrid SH-AWD powertrain as well as the RLX Sport hybrid it's evident this is the direction Acura is heading with the instant torque of the electric motors.
They really need to step up their game when even Lincoln and Buick are beefing up their powertrains.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
A fun discussion....just as long as most of you appreciate that acceleration off the line time differences of 1-2 seconds mean little to a substantial majority of Acura drivers....and most others for that matter. Now combine more power with better fuel economy for a reasonable price, with a Sports Hybrid model, that might satisfy a chink of the Type S fans AND capture some of the mainstream market. Coming back to the looks, and the debate about in-person viewing vs spy shots, I have come to really like the MDX implementation of the Diamond Grill as I see more of them on the road. The proportions look great, especially on the lighter colours, particularly white. I may be biased Lets hope the final version of the MMC of the TLX will also look good in person, where it counts. Has to be an improvement over the "Black Hole" grill of a Lexus, IMHO. Having said that, I think the TLX is already a conservatively classy looking car.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:49 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by reddogTL
Under normal circumstances for most brands I agree with you. However since the NSX release with its hybrid SH-AWD powertrain as well as the RLX Sport hybrid it's evident this is the direction Acura is heading with the instant torque of the electric motors.
They really need to step up their game when even Lincoln and Buick are beefing up their powertrains.
Dont forget many NSX reviews questioned value addition of hybrid vs penalty of extra weight. If Acura still wants to continue sport hybrid, they can as a separate trim level. They need turbo engines in lighters vehicles with rear wheel bias to be successful in performance variants. Selling SHSH as performance variant is not going to work.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
A fun discussion....just as long as most of you appreciate that acceleration off the line time differences of 1-2 seconds mean little to a substantial majority of Acura drivers....and most others for that matter. Now combine more power with better fuel economy for a reasonable price, with a Sports Hybrid model, that might satisfy a chink of the Type S fans AND capture some of the mainstream market. Coming back to the looks, and the debate about in-person viewing vs spy shots, I have come to really like the MDX implementation of the Diamond Grill as I see more of them on the road. The proportions look great, especially on the lighter colours, particularly white. I may be biased Lets hope the final version of the MMC of the TLX will also look good in person, where it counts. Has to be an improvement over the "Black Hole" grill of a Lexus, IMHO. Having said that, I think the TLX is already a conservatively classy looking car.
I was down at the Acura dealer today for a second test drive of the TLX trying to convince myself I will not regret going "up" from my 07 type S that I had since new and have pretty low miles on. Overall the styling of the TLX is nice but not exceptional. I spent
fair amount of time talking to the GM again tonight about the 2018 mid cycle update and showed him the photo above or below and he did say minus the triple led fogs the ones he saw there very much resembled the picture although he did say the pic has the NSX wheels and there were no painted calipers on what they had at the dealers meeting. He did again stress that they were told specifically there will be no performance upgrade to the motor.

After two test drives, to compare against is my Type S, I felt that the TLX 290 HP was the least powerful 290 HP feeling car I have driven. Sport + mode held high revs way to long well after you leveled off in speed to the point I had to ask the salesperson if that mode took out the higher gears completely. While the car certainly is very smooth it really lack the powerful feel of the type S or the infinity Q60 I drove not long back. I had to pretty much floor the pedal to get the same acceleration that comes so easily with little pedal effort in my current car. The car just felt slow and unresponsive and to drive it spirited I felt like it was almost abusing the car versus the effortless power you feel in the old type S (with 4 less HP). Maybe its that damn transmission or the type S just spoils the driver and has a transmission designed more for performace over economy. I realize that not everyone is looking for power/performance over luxury but the difference is really astonishing. While the TLX was comfortable I didn't care for the woodgrain and the doors had so much plastic with very just a small area of material around the door rest.

They are offering a great discount on it and really an outstanding trade in my car and I am trying so hard to get over the performance/transmission shifting to like this car. The manager at the dealer did say that the east coast dealers where screaming at Acura management to bring more performance to the line up but he feels they are years off of a performance model on the TLX with the next generation most likely and even then 1 to 2 years into that model cycle. When I got home I was trying to find Jon Ikeda's email to send a rant to him. I am not saying the TLX is not a nice car but it's definitely lacking on a performance feel that a lot of people have been clamoring for. Then there is the sound system which is another story.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:57 PM
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts
TLX is like wine, not beer. The longer you have it the better it tastes. I recently took my V6 on a trek across western PA... Amazing balance of performance and fuel economy. Super fun on the mountains. When I was in the hinterland somewhere, full moon, I put her in econ and was worry free. This car is a great touring vehicle. ELS is amazing. It is no slouch even though it feels that way. The interior has to get better but the TLX can run with the best of them. If this hybrid set-up hits the TLX..Acura will have a winner.

The following 3 users liked this post by Aurelius:
a35tl (03-18-2017), mapleloaf (03-20-2017), ostrich (03-19-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 10:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Aurelius
TLX is like wine, not beer. The longer you have it the better it tastes. I recently took my V6 on a trek across western PA... Amazing balance of performance and fuel economy. Super fun on the mountains. When I was in the hinterland somewhere, full moon, I put her in econ and was worry free. This car is a great touring vehicle. ELS is amazing. It is no slouch even though it feels that way. The interior has to get better but the TLX can run with the best of them. If this hybrid set-up hits the TLX..Acura will have a winner.
I would agree it is more of a touring vehicle the way its set up. The mpg is impressive but I think that much of it comes as a result of the car rarely getting into any power band changing gears all the time before the power kicks in. Not even sure why they are considering a 10 speed auto. Heck I can get 24 mpg driving around town in my type S if I barely push the pedal down and keep the shift points low. To get nice acceleration in the TLX the pedal really needs to travel a ways and maybe that is the trans not having learned what gear to go into being new. I do think the 2018 update will end up being a plus on the looks. I don't think the spy photos showed well and think/hope that when it hits the auto shows it will be sharp.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:43 AM
Racer

There is not way Acrua will put V6 turbo in TLX at this stage. They will wait for new platform (hopefully longitudinal) and start with RLX FMC.

If they dont want to put hybrid system in TLX, atleast they should program transmission of A-spec model to mimic driving feelings of TL SHAWD (and also preferably put 310 hp engine of RLX). That would make many acura loyal customers happy till FMC TLX. If they screw up FMC, nothing can save Acura from becoming SUV only.

Last edited by alpha0; 03-18-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
[QUOTE=Aurelius;15981989]TLX is like wine, not beer. The current model has is more of a vinegar.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:57 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,618 Likes on 975 Posts
At this point, all I want is a 2018 commercial on this thread to see the MMC model with proper angles and features. MDX Hybrid will be out as of next month. I hope next is TLX
Old 03-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Team Owner

It's definitely coming, though I don't think we will see it at the same time as the MDX... It'll be stealing the thunder from each other. It might even be as late as fall before we see it. I wonder if they're just trying to move as many 2017s right now before having to drop prices on them when the MMC comes out.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:13 PM
AZ Community Team

It's definitely coming, though I don't think we will see it at the same time as the MDX... It'll be stealing the thunder from each other. It might even be as late as fall before we see it. I wonder if they're just trying to move as many 2017s right now before having to drop prices on them when the MMC comes out.
I agree. They will let MDX Hybrid to enjoy the hype this summer. By end of this summer or early fall Acura will push TLX. Current TLX model isn't selling well. They need a boost in this year's sell.
Also, Acura's prices aren't very competitive. Infinite is offering sick incentives - up to $7,500.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I agree. They will let MDX Hybrid to enjoy the hype this summer. By end of this summer or early fall Acura will push TLX. Current TLX model isn't selling well. They need a boost in this year's sell.
Also, Acura's prices aren't very competitive. Infinite is offering sick incentives - up to $7,500.
Dont you think Acura will use NY autoshow to atleast launch TLX MMC? End of summer / Fall launch will be reserved for Accord FMC
Old 03-19-2017, 06:12 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by alpha0
Dont you think Acura will use NY autoshow to atleast launch TLX MMC? End of summer / Fall launch will be reserved for Accord FMC
Not sure. NY auto show is in 25 days. I highly doubt if they are ready to show it. But that would be great if Acura brings the MMC to NY auto show.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I suspect they will unveil at NY Auto Show, then the question is will they release it right away or just roll it out in August. Dealer would know as if they were releasing it in May they would have to be ordering 18s now or soon.
Tony Pac (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts

After two test drives, to compare against is my Type S, I felt that the TLX 290 HP was the least powerful 290 HP feeling car I have driven. Sport + mode held high revs way to long well after you leveled off in speed to the point I had to ask the salesperson if that mode took out the higher gears completely. While the car certainly is very smooth it really lack the powerful feel of the type S or the infinity Q60 I drove not long back. I had to pretty much floor the pedal to get the same acceleration that comes so easily with little pedal effort in my current car. The car just felt slow and unresponsive and to drive it spirited I felt like it was almost abusing the car versus the effortless power you feel in the old type S (with 4 less HP). Maybe its that damn transmission or the type S just spoils the driver and has a transmission designed more for performace over economy. I realize that not everyone is looking for power/performance over luxury but the difference is really astonishing. While the TLX was comfortable I didn't care for the woodgrain and the doors had so much plastic with very just a small area of material around the door.

i find the TLX feels far less powerful than it is, I blame a lot on the tranny, but the car is clearly tuned for MPG than anything else.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:26 PM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
The new one has to be coming soon--they are running heavy TLX commercials right now.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by mk5
The new one has to be coming soon--they are running heavy TLX commercials right now.
I noticed them far more than ever myself. Not sure if that is because they are trying to clear the lot to make space but I think more likely just to see if they can sell them - period. Right now it seems that they'll have to offer some rebate/incentive or some really great free 100k comprehensive repair and oil change for life program if they want to unload them.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:53 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After two test drives, to compare against is my Type S, I felt that the TLX 290 HP was the least powerful 290 HP feeling car I have driven. Sport + mode held high revs way to long well after you leveled off in speed to the point I had to ask the salesperson if that mode took out the higher gears completely. While the car certainly is very smooth it really lack the powerful feel of the type S or the infinity Q60 I drove not long back. I had to pretty much floor the pedal to get the same acceleration that comes so easily with little pedal effort in my current car. The car just felt slow and unresponsive and to drive it spirited I felt like it was almost abusing the car versus the effortless power you feel in the old type S (with 4 less HP). Maybe its that damn transmission or the type S just spoils the driver and has a transmission designed more for performance over economy. I realize that not everyone is looking for power/performance over luxury but the difference is really astonishing..
If you add a sprint booster to this car it changes everything!! I love the way my car drives. It feels like it releases the engine from its cage. Its just a shame you have to add a sprint booster to the car....smh
Old 03-20-2017, 10:08 AM
Team Owner

A friend of mine is a sales manager at one of the local Acura dealers here in town. I ran into him just the other day, while picking up some parts at the dealership. I pulled him aside and asked if the Type S is coming. He said "yeah, it's coming..." and then I got all excited. But he didn't finish. He went on to say "I think it'll come for 2019, for the last two years of production, like they did with the 3G TL".

To me, that means that no one really has any insight whatsoever regarding a Type S. The 3G TL got a Type S in the last two years of production, because that's just how the MMC worked out. Acura is releasing the MMC one year earlier for the TLX, so there's no reason it shouldn't come now. It seems weird to release a new engine/drivetrain after an MMC.

I doubt the Type S would show up for 2020... that would be the last production year of the TLX. Seems a little late. Even 2022 doesn't seem to make much sense either, unless Acura was planning to have a MMC for the 2G TLX into only its second year of production.

Unfortunately, I think we just have to sit this out and see what happens. I'm still optimistic though.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Small engine but big power 2017 Audi RS3 400HP 2.0T