Spied on the Street! 2018 Acura TLX (MMC)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Actually, promoting Mr. Ikeda was a good idea. He's the guy in charge of the 3G TL project, which as we all know, was a rousing success. He came on after the TLX was released. He was likely the one who recommended at least bringing back A-Spec, and the visual changes. He has a positive track record at Acura and I wish him the best. He's not the best presenter, though, no flair, but I don't have any either.

As for me, if I weren't enamored of the Sport Hybrid system (again, trust me, it's that good) and needed a bigger back seat, I'd be getting a TLX A-Spec with SH-AWD. In fact, it could be a good "filler car" to lease while I await the next gen RLX Sport Hybrid in 2019. I definitely like it that the A-Spec requires a change in body panels, in order to avoid that "tacked on" body kit look. Nice job!
you are spot on with Ikeda. He is fighting for everything that we have been wanting. He cant make all the changes he wants right away. Give him a few years.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
you are spot on with Ikeda. He is fighting for everything that we have been wanting. He cant make all the changes he wants right away. Give him a few years.
I've been waiting long enough. I was promised more sportiness years ago and all we got was the a-spec with no mechanical changes (suspension is not enough without brakes, etc). They treat customers as fool's saying a new skin treatment = performance. Somebody deserves my hard earned cash, not people who do the least for the most.

I heard some say we complain too much, but he goes on saying he wouldn't get the new one anyways. I can honestly say I gave them all the chance in the world yet they still disappointed me. Fool me once...Was a good run but value only gets you so far.
The following 2 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
boe_d (04-12-2017), silverTL6 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 10:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
unfortunately, car changes happen fairly slowly.

As pointed out by myself, neuronbob and a few others- we got a huge list of what we wanted with the MMC TLX. Honestly, the only thing we didn't get is a different transmission and engine. However, it sounds like Acura even tweaked the zf9 to respond and shift faster- I'd say don't knock it until you try it. While, yes, the 2015 zf9 was a disaster, I think it's a little pre-emptive to say the same about the 2018 zf9. Acura isn't the only brand using that transmission, if I'm not mistaken. It can't be that horrendous.

As for the engine- meh. It'll come. It looks like Acura already invested a ton of cash into the MMC, pretty much updating everything else. I think everyone is forgetting that Acura is a small brand and does not have unlimited resources at it's disposal. Yes, it is the child company of Honda, but that doesn't mean Honda opens up the coffers and says "go at it!"

Yes, some current or prospective owners may turn away from the Acura brand. And they'll likely stay away for a few years. But they'll be back. I do think Ikeda did the best he could. I'd be more upset if we got a 350hp TLX, and everything else stayed the same. Don't get me wrong- I was really hoping for a sport model for the MMC also... but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. 350hp isn't all that whopping anyway. It'll shave, what, 0.2 seconds off your 0-60 times, when compared to the 290hp TLX?
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I LOVE Infiniti lately. I cannot wait to see the next generation Qx50 but more importantly the next generation QX70(fx). The styling direction is amazing, the engines are also amazing. I also read somewhere above that they are introducing dealer applied tunes? I smell an X5M and Cayenne Turbo killer if that is the case. Good job to them!
Below is more information about the Tuning collaboration. Regarding reliability and infiniti, the problems from the year one Q50's are mostly gone and those were 90% about the infotainment not something that will leave you stranded. The DAS issues were for sub zero area's and DAS is an option.

https://www.amsperformance.com/infiniti-q60-red-alpha
Old 04-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Team Owner

As I said... infiniti is got what most here are looking for!

I wonder if the red-alpha well just be a chip add on.. if so... if it's like $1500-2500, it's gonna be a rocket at a bargain price, with full warranty to boot.

The only reason I can't get on board with it is the lack of a 6MT... but... Acura (and pretty much most other manufacturers) don't either.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostTL09
Good luck with that lol
joke, but I just can't do the TLX in its current configuration. Hoping that the RDX refresh or Accord redesign comes through. Trying to hold on to 07 TL until someone wows me....probably not Kia.
In the old days I just went to Acura a bought a new one.....was simple.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought a 2013 Acura TSX last year, but with the changes for the 2018 acura tlx, I just might be in the market for this car in 2020 (2 year used). I love my TSX, but for my next car, I want AWD, a V6, and all the tech goodies like heated steering wheel, ventilated seats, surround view, blind spot monitoring (things the tsx doesn't have now).

I really want an Audi A4, but I don't think I'll ever be able to justify the high maintenance and cost of ownership prices - I prefer cars that I can use well and do just simple maintenance items to keep them going for long term, which basically means I have to shop the parent companies of Honda, Toyota and Nissan. If they can get the IS 350 AWD up in fuel economy to at least low 20's city/low 30's highway, I would consider that too. But I think last I saw, that car was like 19/26, which is horrendous.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:25 PM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
Ikeda is definitely moving things along in the right direction. It appears as though he does have Honda's ear. I just don't understand the lack of the Sport Hybrid model. Drop in the MDX system, boom. Happy people.

That is, unless they have a completely new system planned for the TLX -- in that case tease would have been nice. There is a BIG difference, mentally (and egotistically), between 290 hp and 300 hp.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by mk5
Ikeda is definitely moving things along in the right direction. It appears as though he does have Honda's ear. I just don't understand the lack of the Sport Hybrid model. Drop in the MDX system, boom. Happy people.

That is, unless they have a completely new system planned for the TLX -- in that case tease would have been nice. There is a BIG difference, mentally (and egotistically), between 290 hp and 300 hp.
I would rather have 290hp with a better matched transmission than 300+ with the existing one. The 07/08 type S was 286HP and had much better 0-60 time. They could add 10 more hp and you probably would never know it or could get a better transmission for the existing engine and you would think you had more HP. I am not against more HP but the car doesn't get the most out of what it has now.
pyrodan007 (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 01:59 PM
Burning Brakes

^^ 1000% agree, especially that there is a new 10sp 'faster' transmission but it's very oddly only being used in a minivan. If they're doing it for testing, can't be worse that what happen with the TLX ZF9 launch. The MMC could have easily had a transmission change, my 12 TL MMC got one (from 5 to 6 gears).
Old 04-12-2017, 02:02 PM
Team Owner

You guys are also comparing engine crank HP... The power being put down to the wheels is vastly different between the 3G Type S and the V6 TLX SH-AWD. The TLX has far greater drivetrain losses due to the drive shaft, rear differential and 2 additional wheels being turned. You're not comparing apples to apples here.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
Below is more information about the Tuning collaboration. Regarding reliability and infiniti, the problems from the year one Q50's are mostly gone and those were 90% about the infotainment not something that will leave you stranded. The DAS issues were for sub zero area's and DAS is an option.

https://www.amsperformance.com/infiniti-q60-red-alpha
Old 04-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
^^ 1000% agree, especially that there is a new 10sp 'faster' transmission but it's very oddly only being used in a minivan. If they're doing it for testing, can't be worse that what happen with the TLX ZF9 launch. The MMC could have easily had a transmission change, my 12 TL MMC got one (from 5 to 6 gears).
With all the management shaking up inside honda/acura. I think a lot of people are nervous to make big changes and not to mention the contract between honda and ZF. i am sure you can't just switch unless you have fulfil XXXX amount sold/installed. The 5 to 6 speed seem like the same tranny with more gears. The 10 speeds haven't been tested by any car yet..at least the 9 speed been tested for 3-4 years now...i would be happy if they put the 10 speed it...but that almost guarantee first year issue. i am betting that after 4 years the 9 speed ZF has evolved to acceptable vs unknown like the 10 speeds

The high end minivan are guinea pig for their new tranny

Lexus have dated power-train too but selling like hot cake

Last edited by xedap1998; 04-12-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by xedap1998
Lexus have dated power-train too but selling like hot cake
Are they?

Im pretty sure they aren't
neuronbob (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 04:46 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
I've been waiting long enough. I was promised more sportiness years ago and all we got was the a-spec with no mechanical changes (suspension is not enough without brakes, etc). They treat customers as fool's saying a new skin treatment = performance. Somebody deserves my hard earned cash, not people who do the least for the most.

I heard some say we complain too much, but he goes on saying he wouldn't get the new one anyways. I can honestly say I gave them all the chance in the world yet they still disappointed me. Fool me once...Was a good run but value only gets you so far.
I think you are missing the point from Nexx. He's talking about giving Ikeda a few years. The thing is, before Ikeda, Acura was in a mess. Ikeda came in less than 2 years ago, and under his leadership, there are some positive changes going on already. In the car world, things don't change that quickly. This is why it will take a few years before we see the results from Ikeda.

For the TLX, it came out before Ikeda became the boss.

Originally Posted by TacoBello
unfortunately, car changes happen fairly slowly.

As pointed out by myself, neuronbob and a few others- we got a huge list of what we wanted with the MMC TLX. Honestly, the only thing we didn't get is a different transmission and engine. However, it sounds like Acura even tweaked the zf9 to respond and shift faster- I'd say don't knock it until you try it. While, yes, the 2015 zf9 was a disaster, I think it's a little pre-emptive to say the same about the 2018 zf9. Acura isn't the only brand using that transmission, if I'm not mistaken. It can't be that horrendous.

As for the engine- meh. It'll come. It looks like Acura already invested a ton of cash into the MMC, pretty much updating everything else. I think everyone is forgetting that Acura is a small brand and does not have unlimited resources at it's disposal. Yes, it is the child company of Honda, but that doesn't mean Honda opens up the coffers and says "go at it!"

Yes, some current or prospective owners may turn away from the Acura brand. And they'll likely stay away for a few years. But they'll be back. I do think Ikeda did the best he could. I'd be more upset if we got a 350hp TLX, and everything else stayed the same. Don't get me wrong- I was really hoping for a sport model for the MMC also... but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. 350hp isn't all that whopping anyway. It'll shave, what, 0.2 seconds off your 0-60 times, when compared to the 290hp TLX?
Good post! IMO, Acura could've just used the RLX engine - the one with 310hp, and that's enough for them to claim that the have improved the performance. It's readily available and I would think it's not that difficult to implement, except may be some exhaust certification. Having 300+hp sounds a lot better marketing wise.

Originally Posted by mk5

Yea, I was hoping for the sport hybrid model too. It seems like they don't feel it's worthwhile to make that switch. Unlike the MDX, the volume of the TLX is like 50% of it.

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Are they?

Haha not sure which part you were referring....but in recent months, Lexus has been struggling a bit with sales, especially with its IS sedan and GS sedan. The ES is doing okay but it's specially catered for a unique group of people.

For powertrain, it's somewhat true that Lexus is behind. They just launched a 2.0T engine, but even so, it seems to be lacking behind the competition despite having the same specs as most others.

Lexus has some V8 models, but those aren't competitive anymore performance wise. It's behind in a sense that while others have moved on to turbocharged V8, Lexus doesn't have one. So now, they have a 476hp 5.0L V8 GS F that starts at $84k and it's barely faster than the last gen 550i which started at $70k. With the new G10 550i, the performance has been improved noticeably again. Most likely the new 456hp 550i will smoke the GS F, while being $10k cheaper.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Team Owner

To be honest, Lexus and Toyota engines simply... Suck.

They aren't all that fuel efficient, and they don't put out all that much power. The 467hp 5.0L sounds awesome, but their more "normal" engines are nothing to brag about. Buuuuuuut.... Lexus built themselves an image over the decades of extremely high reliability and luxury... They never really focused on sport that much, until the F division was created, and even then, it seems more luxury focused than anything (nothing wrong with that- it's their niche in the market).

Many people still buy Acuras based on their perceived reliability. And while I've never been stranded by one of their cars, or anyone else I know, but, they have tons of little and big issues all over the place. Lexus has and still is at the top of the reliability charts. Acura has dived to below the mid point. And stuff that never was a problem on early to late 90s Acuras, seems to be a constant problem on modern Acuras. In my mind they are anything but reliable, but, car stigmas die hard and Acura can continue riding on those coat tails for some time before people change their minds.

that being said, more and more people are noticing the reliability thing. Lots still believe it to be true... While more and more are feeling that's not the case. That's not a bridge Acura should be burning.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
You guys are also comparing engine crank HP... The power being put down to the wheels is vastly different between the 3G Type S and the V6 TLX SH-AWD. The TLX has far greater drivetrain losses due to the drive shaft, rear differential and 2 additional wheels being turned. You're not comparing apples to apples here.

TLX FWD/ AWD whatever TLX model the 0-60 time is better on the lower HP 3rd gen type S. My only point being more HP to a crappy trans is not better than less HP to a well matched trans. I really worry that a 10 spd trans will make things worse. 0-60 times aside it just seems to me being fairly new to the TLX that the trans has so many gears it doesnt always hit the right one which leads to some lagging response. Then again with a 9 speed transmission and 4 driving modes maybe I just don't have things set right when I need to tap into the power. I will be interested to see how the upgraded suspension is on the 2018 compared to the current model. I guess some of this shifting issues is for increased mpg which is why a number of people choose the Acura over Infinity.. I was getting 21 sometime 22 in the type S using premium and have gotten 28.4 mpg on regular int the TLX the last 700 miles mixed driving with not that many highway miles using a mix of economy and sport modes and I do put the hammer down here and there. I probably was a bit more aggressive in the type S as the power seemed to come out much easier and never any hesitation.

Overall a step in the right direction and an improvement on the current model. My local dealer told me over a month ago that there would be no engine upgrade on the 2018 and said at that time no Type S till year 2 or 3 of the next Generation. That was after the dealers meeting with Acura management. Anyway, I guess anyone looking for higher performance will have to wait a few more years or go off to another brand.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Old 04-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
As I said... infiniti is got what most here are looking for!

I wonder if the red-alpha well just be a chip add on.. if so... if it's like $1500-2500, it's gonna be a rocket at a bargain price, with full warranty to boot.

The only reason I can't get on board with it is the lack of a 6MT... but... Acura (and pretty much most other manufacturers) don't either.
Yeah nobody is really doing manual's anymore. Even Audi scrapped them with their new S4's . Eventually there will be no more Manual transmissions. I wish Infiniti kept the 6 Speed option for the Q like they used to have for the G35. Make a limited number it can't hurt their bottom line that much.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Team Owner

I'll agree with Saintor on that red TLX. It does look good at that angle. I think the car just looks awkward when you look at it head on
Old 04-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts
Feeling the Blue! I can tell this is going to look good in person.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Like the red paint. Could be just the camera but the front looks fat & bulky to me.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:49 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
Aren't these the same rims that the Russian TLX had when it first came out a few years ago?
Old 04-12-2017, 08:51 PM
Advanced

To each their own my friend! This is an A spec so I think the blacked out fake chrome accents also changes the look of the car. Good news is that I am seeing the precision design study start to make its way into the lines. Good things to come people!

Old 04-12-2017, 08:51 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts

Ouch! The rims of the red 2018 TLX look identical to these on the Russian TLX from 2014.... come on now, Acura, that's just LAZY to slap on the Russian rims from a few years ago and claim this to be part of your "updated" model! Sigh...
Old 04-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Even though I'm disappointed with the MMC, I think I'll try to negotiate something. I don't think I can last one more year with my car (money wasted). If I can get a deal, I would have no problems to extend my lease a little more. The blue actually looks good to me, would be the AWD Aspec Tech/Advance. If they say no deal full price, they can really shove it ...permanently! May break my lease then and there.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:18 PM
Advanced

I hear you man. I am sorry your experience has been that bad. I was in a 3 series yesterday and the interior material was surprisingly, dare I say, cheap looking. and c'mon how old is that kidney grill with the angel eye headlights look now? I get it already, yes it is at the core of their brand identity but it constrains their design and will stop BMW from re-defining an increasingly competitive segment. Audi design and Lexus design is bold and new. Acura is not in that discussion yet because they haven't found themselves, but, I would offer that they are headed in the right direction. Personally I will try to move in a year or two.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:36 PM
Advanced

That's not bad at all imo.
a35tl (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Burning Brakes

^^ This is the only reason why I'm giving the TLX a second chance. Looks good, a real blue. The fathom blue was way too dark on the current TLX. Other colors don't work for me (red is meh, white is a no).
Old 04-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Aurelius
To each their own my friend! This is an A spec so I think the blacked out fake chrome accents also changes the look of the car. Good news is that I am seeing the precision design study start to make its way into the lines. Good things to come people!

I would be fine with a car that looks like the precision concept - is it perfect - no but does it look like it was just a bunch of spare parts glued together - no, it looks like someone actually designed it before it was assembled.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This is why the Germans are so successful. I can't believe if I want the Aspec I can't get power folding mirrors and a heated steering wheel. I don't understand why the Japanese brands bundle like this. If I wanted an M sport BMW, I Guarantee every feature I want would also be available. So basically If I want those features I have to be stuck with that bland driving vehicle from before?

this car was what Acura needed till I saw this fumble.
a35tl (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 09:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Are they?

the 200t is not faster nor efficency compare to the 4 banger tlx. The v6 is about the same as tlx v6 but uses more gas. If the tlx had the final gear from the mdx in their zf 9 speed, i am sure it can run low 5 second 0-60. The v8 in the gx460 put out same power as the rlx but use so much more gas. They stop making the v8 in the ls and start v6 twin turbo for 2018. They have have ES run on 6 speed auto and their awd also run on 6 speed auto. I wouldnt say their powertrain is better except rwd but that is not something acura can fix in mid cycle.

the 2 best selling lexus are es and rx which bith front wheeel drive and nothing impressive as far as powertrain

i meant to compare to german not acura

Last edited by xedap1998; 04-12-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Aurelius
That's not bad at all imo.
This blue A-Spec looks sweet!
pyrodan007 (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 11:12 PM
Racer

Check out youtube video

A lot more video of 2018 tlx. I see potential in this car. I like it
Old 04-12-2017, 11:22 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
If the TLX A-spec drives like my old 3G A-spec that had the suspension and steering upgrades that blue one will be my next car come July. Unlike many here 290 HP with a better shifting tranny is sufficient. Other than to brag to your friends and feel good in comparing to other similar vehicles who really needs 300+ HP for every day driving.
The following 3 users liked this post by Honda430:
a35tl (04-13-2017), mapleloaf (04-12-2017), steve_97060 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 01:28 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
I wonder how much the A-spec suspension pieces will cost and if we can fit them onto our 15-17 models.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:45 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
Ouch! The rims of the red 2018 TLX look identical to these on the Russian TLX from 2014.... come on now, Acura, that's just LAZY to slap on the Russian rims from a few years ago and claim this to be part of your "updated" model! Sigh...
They were also offered on the Chinese TLX. I'm betting the long wheelbase MMC TLX debuting in Shanghai in a couple days is gonna get our 2015+ V6 18's
Old 04-13-2017, 03:51 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts
4 cylinder wheels and rear bumper. they wanted to differentiate the 4 and 6.
Are they serious? 4-cyl buyers will be furious that their cars look exactly the same as the pre-MMC from the back (except for a subtle change in the badge font)
Old 04-13-2017, 08:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Anyone else thinks that the rear bumper will be a direct fit to the 15-17 TLX?
Old 04-13-2017, 08:40 AM
Drifting

Received 708 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
joke, but I just can't do the TLX in its current configuration. Hoping that the RDX refresh or Accord redesign comes through. Trying to hold on to 07 TL until someone wows me....probably not Kia.
In the old days I just went to Acura a bought a new one.....was simple.
If I could get the 4G feel in a 3G body I would never look at another car . lol However, I am really interested to see the Aspec in person. I would love to have a Black on Black if offered, or black on red. I don't like dark wheels so hopefully there is a sparkle silver option. I'm not an engine head but I know the feel of a good car when I'm in one. I know I didn't like the 2016 TLX SHAWD Advance , but when the tuning of the Aspec there may a chance I'd be interested in driving that. I had a new 2013 Kia Optima SXL. Looked good, had cool tech, nice 18in wheels, sporty turbo but just felt light in the butt like the TLX does. I'm hoping to get a bit of the planted 4G SHAWD feel if you know what I mean.

Maybe you should get a Kia Sephia