Order Wait Times?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Order Wait Times?

Can anyone tell me how long you waited from order to delivery for an ordered TLX?

I ordered a SH-AWD, Advance in Silver with Silverstone in October and am being told it will be built in December, but a "build sheet" will not be available for at least two more weeks.

I've bought 26 new cars in my life and find more often than not dealers will tell a customer almost anything to get a sale and I've experienced almost every "gone south" scenario imaginable more than once in those 26 transactions. The dealer began with telling me they could get me any combination I wanted in 10 to 14 days which quickly became we'll order you one while we continue to locate what you want....to now not being able to tell me any time frame for a worse-case latest delivery date.

I've never bought an Acura, but I've bought numerous popular first model year cars and honestly have never delt with a manufacturer not able to get me a build sheet with a delivery window in less than 10 days from order.

Thoughts? Thanks
Old 11-14-2014, 02:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
8 weeks for me, best I can remember.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Weelllll, since you asked.. I ordered a BWP w/espresso SH-AWD Advance back in July, I might have it by the end of November. This edition is is not being mass produced at this time. Acura is being cautious to an extent. Color combo and your location plays into the equation as well
Old 11-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
They don't seem to be making a lot of SH-AWD Advance models so I think December will be the soonest it would be built; probably longer than that. Your dealer will have to be allocated a SH-AWD Advance model AND have the Silver/Greystone color combo accepted by Acura before it will actually get built. If that has already happened you will be good to go, if not it will be next year before your dealer sees that car.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Generally speaking we only order cars once a month.this would be for the following months production with arrival expected 20 to 30 days after it's built. Depending on timing, this could mean it would take up to three months for a car to arrive but it could also be at short as two months.

Also, because this trim is being manufactured and smaller numbers than the four-cylinder and front wheel drive V6 models, getting the exact color combination could take slightly longer. However, there are mechanisms in place if your dealer is able to "trade" an "on order" vehicle with another dealership that has the color you need in the production pipeline.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colin:
ggesq (11-14-2014), Stew4HD (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Here are my observations from reading this forum over the last 3 months:

Unlike European manufacturers, Acura is weak in the custom order process and the ability of dealers to accurately provide progress on a custom order. As Colin indicated above, dealers only place orders once a month, and production of all the TLX combinations does not appear to be large enough to guarantee that a specific combo will be built in the following month.

I know that the waiting process is hard, but if you have the option to wait it will be worth it, and if there is any flexibility on color combinations then something may show up before January.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Quandry
Here are my observations from reading this forum over the last 3 months:

Unlike European manufacturers, Acura is weak in the custom order process and the ability of dealers to accurately provide progress on a custom order. As Colin indicated above, dealers only place orders once a month, and production of all the TLX combinations does not appear to be large enough to guarantee that a specific combo will be built in the following month.

I know that the waiting process is hard, but if you have the option to wait it will be worth it, and if there is any flexibility on color combinations then something may show up before January.
Not just weak, non-existent in the custom order. If I recall, there are still certain combo colors we can't get?
Old 11-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Not just weak, non-existent in the custom order. If I recall, there are still certain combo colors we can't get?
Yes, but it's simply not their business model. It never has been. Other than the posts wishing it were different, I don't see why anyone familiar with the brand should be surprised by this.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colin:
Acura_Dude (11-22-2014), neuronbob (11-16-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I ordered my SH-AWD in late August and it arrived at the dealer a week ago today.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Just picked up my SH-AWD Advance, and I ordered it over 2 months ago. My dealer only got a handful, and the next AWD Advances won't arrive until February. The supply hasn't caught up to the demand for this version of the TLX, and whatever small allotments dealers knew about were quickly reserved.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 11-14-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:26 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,588 Likes on 956 Posts
Acura dealers are having a hard time to keep up with demand. TLX is a huge success and hopefully by first Quarter of 2015, Acura would be able to meet the demand comfortably.

The 2015 Acura TLX - It's That Kind of Thrill!
Old 11-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm still trying to get around the 26 new cars! I'm 57 and have purchased seven new cars in my life to date, including two for wives (one each!) and one with my son. All cash sales though Looking forward to number eight next year.

P.S. I special-ordered the 05 in Feb 2005; waited about two months for delivery.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:02 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Put a deposit on an AWD Advance on 10-06. Salesman has pushed the delivery date back twice already. Still waiting. I have asked for a specific color/interior combo, though. Black Copper Pearl with Parchment.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:00 AM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Gave up my BCP Parchment SH-AWD last Wed., still waiting, ordered Sept 4th.:-)
Old 11-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the actual straight poop from those of you who have actually ordered. Based on your actual wait times, I'll probably move on to something else.

What is principally unacceptable to me is how carefully dishonest four Acura dealers have been by insisting that they can get "anything you want from another dealer in 10-14 days OR once ordered in less than 45 days" fully knowing that customers are still waiting around 90 days.

Any business model that can't confirm an order confirmation, build date or delivery window on what they advertise and tell customers is "reasonably available" is out of touch with how their competition does business, and has a production centered business model rather than a customer
Old 11-15-2014, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

As for not being able to special order a car in what ever combo you want? Acura/Honda (and MOST all manufacturers) do business the very same way. I don't know of any company that can get you a special order in a short time and some won't even make certain color and model combos, period.

The German companies do, but you are paying a premium for it.

The TLX is brand new and they are barely keeping up with demand for the FWD models. I don't blame them for making higher volumes of the cars that are in demand. The SH-AWD is not a high volume/demand model... it just isn't even though I want mine NOW! I have to be realistic

I don't think the sales people were lying to you at all. 45 days is about right if you want to get a low volume car and the SH-AWD is a low volume car.

Many of us ordered our cars months ago, knowing that the car would not arrive until late in the year. Had I ordered a SH-AWD w/Tech or V6 Advance or Tech, I'd have had it a few weeks by now. I know the car is worth the wait.

It's your $$ to do as you wish. I am just telling you what I know having been in this quite a while now.

Good luck in your hunt.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (11-16-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 01:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JonfromCB
fully knowing that customers are still waiting around 90 days...

....has a production centered business model rather than a customer
Not quite a fair assessment of the AWD model since Acura staggered the start of production for this trim. Those waiting extra long, were forced to do so because NO AWDs were being made initially.

Honda/Acura have always been production centered. Maybe you're new to the brand, but they seem to have made efficiency their niche and as long as they can find 1.5 million customers a year (Honda) or 150K-180K (Acura) who appreciate the additional value this business model provides, they appear to be willing to forgo the production, distribution, and finance changes necessary to move to a different model.

That said, saying they're not customer focused is debatable. IMO they take extraordinary steps to make cars and SUVs that offer some of the best values in the auto industry at their relative price points. Providing the best product for the customer is being customer focused IMO. You just can't win every customer but what brand can say that it does?
The following 4 users liked this post by Colin:
a35tl (11-16-2014), Acura_Dude (11-22-2014), neuronbob (11-16-2014), Stew4HD (11-15-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 07:21 PM
Advanced

What's not fair? Two dealerships telling me that they can find the car I want in 10 to 14 days upon initial contact, or four dealers telling me that If "we make the monthly order cut-off" we'll have your car in 45 days, and then 4 weeks later they tell me what they should have up front, which is that time frame only applies IF the exact car ordered does not exceed the "zone" quota specs allocated to that dealership AND the total number of cars allocated to that specific dealer.

Instead of the company representatives at any of the four dealerships telling me upfront that Acura is behind on production and we can't accurately provide a delivery date, I have to find it out for myself on the internet from others who have place orders.....no less than four weeks after order, I'm being told that knowing the build date is 2 to 2.5 weeks away and this has happened twice. Reality is people here who ordered in Sep (way ahead of me) still don't know when they will get delivery. If you think that's a good way to do business and like working for Acura, that's fine with me....that's not the issue.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
The German companies do, but you are paying a premium for it.
You'll pay, and still wait. No way you are getting a car like that in your hands in less than 60-90 days.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Suzuka Master

What's not fair?
I was referring to Acura (corporate) not the dealership.

Instead of the company representatives at any of the four dealerships telling me upfront that Acura is behind on production...
This is a dealership issue, not an Acura one. I don't think that Acura is 'behind' on production either. It was always planned that AWD would be the third variant out of the gate.
Reality is people here who ordered in Sep (way ahead of me) still don't know when they will get delivery.
This is probably because the first batch of AWDs to arrive were not 'ordered' by the individual stores. They were assigned by corporate. The first opportunity to order for customers was with later production. Thus the longer (and variable) wait times for early adopters.

It's unfortunate that your experience was below your expectations, but now that you know the scoop (as best as it can be described) what's next for you?
Old 11-16-2014, 07:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
What's not fair? Two dealerships telling me that they can find the car I want in 10 to 14 days upon initial contact, or four dealers telling me that If "we make the monthly order cut-off" we'll have your car in 45 days, and then 4 weeks later they tell me what they should have up front, which is that time frame only applies IF the exact car ordered does not exceed the "zone" quota specs allocated to that dealership AND the total number of cars allocated to that specific dealer.

Instead of the company representatives at any of the four dealerships telling me upfront that Acura is behind on production and we can't accurately provide a delivery date, I have to find it out for myself on the internet from others who have place orders.....no less than four weeks after order, I'm being told that knowing the build date is 2 to 2.5 weeks away and this has happened twice. Reality is people here who ordered in Sep (way ahead of me) still don't know when they will get delivery. If you think that's a good way to do business and like working for Acura, that's fine with me....that's not the issue.
Whoa, slow down, friend. What you are describing is a dealership issue.

Acura corporate has been clear in communicating via the automotive press that SH-AWD becomes available in the fall. This is, effectively, the first month the SH-AWD is widely available. In addition, it takes time for the manufacturing ramp-up to occur. It is tough to wait, but if you need a car now, you either have to travel to get what you want, compromise your color desire, or move on to something else.

With that said, I think Acura would be well-served by a GM-like production tracking system, tracking order from inception to delivery. It really helped in the six weeks I waited for my CTS-V wagon and as a result I know its official birthday (it's this week, happy 2nd birthday my V wagon! ), among other details.
Acura_Dude (11-22-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I ordered my AWD Tech on September 1 and took possession on November 7. The salesman told me from the get-go that I could have a FWD that day or that I'd have to wait until AWD production ramped up. I was glad to wait a little bit to get the car I wanted.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:18 PM
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
I ordered my TLX, Advance, SHAWD, silver and greystone on August 28th. First the expected delivery date was October, then November. As of last week it is now December (probably towards the end). I just hope it arrives before the Advantage program cutoff date on January 5th.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Gary3N
I ordered my TLX, Advance, SHAWD, silver and greystone on August 28th. First the expected delivery date was October, then November. As of last week it is now December (probably towards the end). I just hope it arrives before the Advantage program cutoff date on January 5th.
Do what I have done, press the GM of your dealership about an extension of the program, You and I ordered during the proper time, it's production that is holding us up.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:59 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gary3N
I placed my order on 09/03/2014, graphite/ greystone SH-AWD Adv, last day to take advantage of the program. Like everyone else, I experienced the date getting later and later and finally told them I'm ready to get out and start looking at other dealerships.

I got in touch with another dealership through Costco who said they could get me the car the next day at a lower price. This lit a fire underneath the first dealership's butt and they started searching the region (midwest) for a SH-AWD with Advance and were able to locate one. It's not the color combo I initially ordered, it's black/ ebony, which i'm fine with because we need the car a bit sooner than later. I got an email from the first dealership last night saying they were able to confirm getting the car and so am hopeful to get it in the next couple days.

I'm really glad I found this forum. Some car reviewers may say that the TLX isn't up to snuff compared to the BMW 3 series or Benz C-class, but honestly, I don't want to an extra $500 for keyless entry, etc. I'm looking for a reliable and practical car without breaking the bank.
Stew4HD (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 03:01 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Weelllll, since you asked.. I ordered a BWP w/espresso SH-AWD Advance back in July, I might have it by the end of November. This edition is is not being mass produced at this time. Acura is being cautious to an extent. Color combo and your location plays into the equation as well
Damm Stew, you only ordered it in July.. It seems like you have been waiting at least two years...LOL

Hang in there, it's getting closer I'm sure it will be worth the wait..
Old 11-20-2014, 03:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JT4
Damm Stew, you only ordered it in July.. It seems like you have been waiting at least two years...LOL

Hang in there, it's getting closer I'm sure it will be worth the wait..
"they" still do not know if the car has even been built. I was contacted back by ACR (Acura Customer Rep) the day before yesterday and was told that colors are made in batches and if mine wasn't made during the last BWP batch, it MIGHT be built during the next one, whenever that is. He said that they are trying to find me one somewhere and will let me know.

It's become comical... yet not too funny
Old 11-22-2014, 07:08 PM
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts
I ordered my Sh-AWD Advance, GLM/Ebony 8/28 and took delivery 11/12. (I was originally told delivery would be the beginning of October, then the end of October!) I was the first person from that dealership to take possession of an AWD model.

Last edited by mogriff1; 11-22-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Slightly off topic yet in the ballpark, I just did a Cars.com search for an White Advance SH-AWD with brown interior and not one shows up in the entire USA. Only one with tech.. so I guess I have asked for a very special combo or, the ones that have been made previously (if there has been any made) were pre-ordered and sold or sold as soon as they hit the lots.

Still, I have no word from Acura, my local dealer can't tell me anything, ACR tells me they will call me back but they don't...

I've been walking the streets at night (yeah)
Just trying to get it right (Need some patience)
It's hard to see with so many around (yeah)
You know, I don't like being stuck in the crowd (Could use some patience)

GnR
Old 11-25-2014, 07:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Acura dealers are having a hard time to keep up with demand. TLX is a huge success and hopefully by first Quarter of 2015, Acura would be able to meet the demand comfortably.

The 2015 Acura TLX - It's That Kind of Thrill!
According to cars.com, there are nearly 7,000 TLXs in inventory around the country. In the four months they have been out I've seen exactly two on the roads of Houston. It's the fourth largest city in the U.S. and I'm in and out of town nearly every day and I always notice new models on the road. I've seen more Ferraris on the road in the past month.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jjsC5
According to cars.com, there are nearly 7,000 TLXs in inventory around the country. In the four months they have been out I've seen exactly two on the roads of Houston. It's the fourth largest city in the U.S. and I'm in and out of town nearly every day and I always notice new models on the road. I've seen more Ferraris on the road in the past month.
I've seen one on the road so far.. though I drive mostly in the Sugar Land/Richmond area
Old 11-25-2014, 09:24 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Slightly off topic yet in the ballpark, I just did a Cars.com search for an White Advance SH-AWD with brown interior and not one shows up in the entire USA. Only one with tech.. so I guess I have asked for a very special combo or, the ones that have been made previously (if there has been any made) were pre-ordered and sold or sold as soon as they hit the lots.

Still, I have no word from Acura, my local dealer can't tell me anything, ACR tells me they will call me back but they don't...
This is crazy, your at 4 months from when you placed the order and you still don't know, when or if it has been built. Or if it is at least in production..

I feel for you... I would be going nuts..
Old 11-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JT4
This is crazy, your at 4 months from when you placed the order and you still don't know, when or if it has been built. Or if it is at least in production..

I feel for you... I would be going nuts..
I told the GM yesterday that I am on the verge of canceling my order. He said he understands and he is also frustrated with how it's gone too. He'd get me the car if one was available to get.

I don't like it when I am told by ACR that I'd get a call the next day and a week later, still no call. I guess it's time to write them again and give them another piece of my mind.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:19 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

I told the GM yesterday that I am on the verge of canceling my order. He said he understands and he is also frustrated with how it's gone too. He'd get me the car if one was available to get.

I don't like it when I am told by ACR that I'd get a call the next day and a week later, still no call. I guess it's time to write them again and give them another piece of my mind.
I feel the same way. If they say they're going to call, the least they can do is give you a call. They should be communicating with you.

They may feel that they don't have any new info for you, but regardless, if they say they're going to do something they should do it.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I agree...A simple phone call showing they give a damn goes a long way!

BTW...HOw reliable has your caddy been?

Stew4HD....Man, you have more patience than I do! I'd go absolutely nuts waiting seeing all these people driving their TLX and having no information about yours.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by weather
^^ I agree...A simple phone call showing they give a damn goes a long way!

BTW...HOw reliable has your caddy been?

Stew4HD....Man, you have more patience than I do! I'd go absolutely nuts waiting seeing all these people driving their TLX and having no information about yours.
Well, I may very well just cancel and do something else. The Chevy SS is looking pretty good to me right now
Old 11-25-2014, 07:06 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Funny you bring a GM product into the discussion...Since last week, I can't stop thinking about the ATS coupe (in white) of course. I can't begin to imagine going back to a GM product but I read and watched so many positive reviews of the ATS plateform.

The offer they made me is almost too good to be true.....But it is a GM product!
Old 11-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by weather
^^ Funny you bring a GM product into the discussion...Since last week, I can't stop thinking about the ATS coupe (in white) of course. I can't begin to imagine going back to a GM product but I read and watched so many positive reviews of the ATS plateform.

The offer they made me is almost too good to be true.....But it is a GM product!
Yeah, I know and that is what is holding me back.. resale value is not so good.

It just pisses me off that I am getting the run-around from Acura. I called ACR this morning, got voice mail, left a message but no call back. I have a "case" worker assigned to my complaint but I guess he's busy.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Well, you have a lot more patience than I do. In case, resale value is not a huge concern as I lease my vehicles and the residual on the Caddy pretty sweet, and so many incentives and low rates that it is quite appealing.

I was planning on putting a custom order on the IS 350 but now I am having second doubts...
Old 11-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ If you are leasing then why not? I just looked a t the ATS coupe online .. nice car!

Quick Reply: Order Wait Times?