2015 Acura TLX - Success or Fail?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still have not seen one on the road. Also have never received any announcements or info on the car from my dealer, which I find strange.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:54 PM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottLong
The September sales are:
3884 Units sold.
That's pretty good considering the ATS'S best ever month is 3887 Units sold.
The Audi A3'S do around 2400-2450ish.

Obviously I still don't think it's enough but we have to keep in mind the V6 make up the majority of these units. The I4'S should sell a lot more, so a far more accurate figure will be in the Oct and Nov sales. Still 3884 Units for the first full month? Mostly v6 models? Pretty good.
Did better than the Q50. Q50 sold 2,434 units it's first month.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:55 PM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Newshoundaussie
I still have not seen one on the road. Also have never received any announcements or info on the car from my dealer, which I find strange.
Same here. Haven't seen any on the road. Maybe it just doesn't stand out. Saw a bunch if IS the first month few months it was released. Including on my driveway. lol
Old 10-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I've not seen one on the road either but have received a couple of ads in my mailbox and emails.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
I've seen two on the road. Another GLM V6 today at lunch and a BWP I4 two weeks ago.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I keep looking but none yet, and I drive a good distance to work and back every day around a major metropolitan area. :-(
Old 10-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Car Enthusiast

Received 173 Likes on 88 Posts
Funny thing you guys brought it up. The dealers where I live seem to be busy everyday and they do have good amount of TLX on their lots, but I also notice that I haven't yet seen one on the road. I do see a lot of new MDX with those new LED head lamps.

I am in Boston area, just to give you an idea and just like SpeedTran, I travel 45min to work everyday.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:38 PM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by vhtran
Weird! I have never said that the sales of the TLX will fail because of the Accord. Nor I ever compared the TLX to the Accord. Why did you have to even compare yours to the economical cars?

I mentioned it just to start off with something and even if you or others ask why I Xshopped with those. Well, I have a pact with the wife. If I get something under $30K for her, I can get an extra car of my choice after I pay off the Accord in two years. If I get something decently nice now, I won't be able to get the car of my choice for few more years. I wanted to get something nice for her and wait, but the deal on the Accord just too sweet and wife is happy with it.

Again, I did not compare the two!

May I ask, why you dropped the 335xi and the S4?

What are the kinks between the iDrive and MMI compare to the Acura?

Hahah "mine even had torque vectoring", sounds like the 1%. I can't speak for the BMW, but your "current gen Audi S4" does offer that. I know it would cost a little more which I am not denying that.

Yes, I did mention v8, but I did not say that I will go with a new car. That would somewhat defeat my plan for the next car. However, I would pick either a used A6 or 535 simply because they're in different class. More luxury, better techs, more power, prestige than your 4G TL, TLX, 3ers, S4. May not have more power than the 335 and S4 but you should get an idea.

Now, before you jump on "German's car fanboy". Here's the list of cars that I have owned since the day I can afford to pay on my own, G35 coupe, 3G TL (father drives now), 2 CR-V, 5 Accords, 2 Camry, Subaru Legacy, 330xi and an Audi A6.

Oh why did I leave out the NSX!

One thing I strongly agree with you. The ELS on the Acura does sound very nice. The only car I haven't heard is the ML system on the Lexus.
You said you ended up with an Accord, of the same vintage as my wife's. You also said the reason you didn't go with the TLX was because your dealer wasn't offering any deals. You're going to spend a whole lot more than a TLX costs with some of the other gear you're talking about.

Personally, don't care one way or the other what anyone else buys.

I happen to be fortunate enough to have owned some of the TLX's competition.

S4 was a nightmare, even under warranty. The Quattro system would regularly "bind up" (feel like one of the rear wheels was locked up and being drug around corners). Some of the trade rags reported the same issues with Audi's Quattro. You compare that to the TL SH AWD, and it's easy to see who has the better AWD system. On top of that, there were all sorts of electronic glitches I had to take the car back for (electronic parking brake would stick, MMI would lock up, and sometimes go haywire and just flash constantly, DCT transmission would thump and thug when changing gears, sounding like some of the gear tooth were missing, etc). When the car ran right, it was a delight. That wasn't often, though. Audi bought it back.

I really loved my E92. My dealer took good care of me, too. Wished I would have kept it. Through a series of crazy, ex-girlfriend (prior to marrying my wife) related issues, I got rid of it. To get the same car in an F3x as my E92, you're knocking on the $60K doorstep. Even with a discount of say $5K, you'r well above what a totally loaded TLX would cost. Plus, it was not my first BMW. It's true, dealers take care of everything (except tires) for the first 4 years/50K miles. After that, the price of maintenance is crazy.

Plus, the tech you refer to with MMI or iDrive is in no way superior to Acura's NAV/ELS.

You mentioned V8 German cars. A 550i will set you back in the $70K neighborhood, and I can tell you from experience, a TLX will ride and handle better....much better. The 5 series feels like a boat. Even a 535i will be in that mid $60K range.

If you're really hot on German iron, get yourself a leftover '14 C300 all loaded up. My sister just did. Nice car. Tech is glitchy compared to Acura, and it's not all that quick, but it rides nice and is pretty. CLA? I think they took the suspension from a Mercedes van and used that as it's basis. For that kind of money, your Accord rides and handles better. Plus, it won't cost you $40K once you get it loaded up.

Nothing against German iron. I've owned some. Like BMWs, while in warranty. You'll pay for that "free maintenance" in the purchase price, though. There are no free lunches.

Last edited by graphicguy; 10-01-2014 at 02:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by graphicguy:
4WDrift (10-01-2014), Stew4HD (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Car Enthusiast

Originally Posted by graphicguy
You mentioned V8 German cars. A 550i will set you back in the $70K neighborhood, and I can tell you from experience, a TLX will ride and handle better....much better. The 5 series feels like a boat. Even a 535i will be in that mid $60K range.
C'mon dude, I said boosted 6 or 8 cylinders (used from my last reply). I never said anything about an 8cyl German. But a used M3 V8 is nice though.

For some reason you and the other guy in here got defensive when one has a neg opinion on the Acura brand.

I guess, we will have to wait and see how well the TLX will sell. I still haven't seen one on the road like some of the members up here given that the dealers around here have good amount of TLX on their lots.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Old 10-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
I think current TLX sales is good start. Even if the total number of selling doesnt come close to the combined TL and TSX selling number, Acura has been cut out the cost A LOT by combining those two cars into one.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, as luck would have it and after saying I had not seen one in the wild yet.. I walk out of my office building and there sits a basque red/parchment V6 TLX in a visitor's spot where the new car owners park! I will get a picture of it tomorrow
Old 10-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
People also have to realize that a big part of the German success in today's market is because of leasing. Acura is never going to do the early and mid 2000's TL numbers again. Leasing existed at that time, but it was still a niche thing. Now leasing is a huge part of the luxury market.
If you actually purchased? A BMW will definitely cost a lot more than an Acura. But if you lease? Its just an extra 20-30 bucks a month. Is that really so much money? If the TLX manage to do 55-60k Units a year? It will be considered a huge success in today's leasing climate against the Germans and Lexus.

A Lexus IS 250 with Navi is going to probably cost over 41k MSRP. 45,000ish out the door. BMW 328I with Navi will cost around 43-44k MSRP. 48,000ish out the door. Now if you were to purchase these cars? The Acura saves you a huge amount of cash. But if you lease? We looking at maybe 20 bucks more for the Lexus and maybe 25 bucks more for the BMW vs the Acura V6. In fact, the way Lexus and BMW works? Might be even cheaper than the TLX lease vs lease.
This is something the 3G TL never had to deal with. During the 3G era, it's buy vs buy. In that case, Acura got a huge advantage over the Germans and even Lexus. It's the best money for the value. Best deal by far. But in today's era of leasing? The 'best value' isn't as important since you can get yourself into a brand new Bimmer for around 25 bucks more a month.

So if the TLX manage to somehow do 4-5K Units a month? That will be very very impressive. Of course that number in the 3G Era is actually considered average.......but we are in a new era now with a lot of things working against Acura.

I think this is something car forums don't really think about because for car forum posters? They are the hard core fans of automobiles. They usually purchase. So they know all about the 'best value' for the buck. And 'what's worth it'. To the vast majority of the current auto shoppers? They never even posted on a forum and they are just looking at 'what leasing program can Acura give me' and 'is it worth that 25 bucks less compare to a BMW'

Last edited by ScottLong; 10-01-2014 at 04:38 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ScottLong:
4WDrift (10-01-2014), dysonlu (10-02-2014), KWarp (10-01-2014), MisterZDX (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

^ well said. leasing has allowed "regular" folks to drive a "nicer" car.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
But if you lease? Its just an extra 20-30 bucks a month.
This is a very sensitive topic and I know that I am setting myself up as a target. This is the flaw in the leasing model and another trap like sub prime mortgages with a false sense of fiscal security. Heck, for $50-60 more you could get an E Class, but can you continue to maintain this lifestyle indefinitely? If you are in a guaranteed income growth situation then why not.

Yes leasing will work just fine for many people, and maybe it will cost more in the long term, but do it knowing the pros and cons.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
We had a 2012 TL SH-AWD. We kept it for three years and got $30,000 for it when we traded it in. That is nearly 70% residual as a trade on a three year old car. That does not sound like a car that nobody wanted to me. And I freely admit I would not have bought one if not for the refresh.
That's actually a very good trade in price for a 3 year old Acura consider how much discount new TLs got. Acura resale value must have something to do with it

One thing though, the low sale volume of 4Gs can actually drive used Acuras value up in the future when people look for used Acuras. Reliability is there so folks will look for them.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
People also have to realize that a big part of the German success in today's market is because of leasing. Acura is never going to do the early and mid 2000's TL numbers again. Leasing existed at that time, but it was still a niche thing. Now leasing is a huge part of the luxury market.
If you actually purchased? A BMW will definitely cost a lot more than an Acura. But if you lease? Its just an extra 20-30 bucks a month. Is that really so much money? If the TLX manage to do 55-60k Units a year? It will be considered a huge success in today's leasing climate against the Germans and Lexus.

A Lexus IS 250 with Navi is going to probably cost over 41k MSRP. 45,000ish out the door. BMW 328I with Navi will cost around 43-44k MSRP. 48,000ish out the door. Now if you were to purchase these cars? The Acura saves you a huge amount of cash. But if you lease? We looking at maybe 20 bucks more for the Lexus and maybe 25 bucks more for the BMW vs the Acura V6. In fact, the way Lexus and BMW works? Might be even cheaper than the TLX lease vs lease.
This is something the 3G TL never had to deal with. During the 3G era, it's buy vs buy. In that case, Acura got a huge advantage over the Germans and even Lexus. It's the best money for the value. Best deal by far. But in today's era of leasing? The 'best value' isn't as important since you can get yourself into a brand new Bimmer for around 25 bucks more a month.

So if the TLX manage to somehow do 4-5K Units a month? That will be very very impressive. Of course that number in the 3G Era is actually considered average.......but we are in a new era now with a lot of things working against Acura.

I think this is something car forums don't really think about because for car forum posters? They are the hard core fans of automobiles. They usually purchase. So they know all about the 'best value' for the buck. And 'what's worth it'. To the vast majority of the current auto shoppers? They never even posted on a forum and they are just looking at 'what leasing program can Acura give me' and 'is it worth that 25 bucks less compare to a BMW'
Think you are making general statements that might not be all that accurate. The US auto industry as a whole has a better than 25% take rate on leases in 2013 & it has been going up for years.

BMW Financial lists a 50% take rate on its leases. That would work out to more than 12,000 cars leased & 12,000 cars purchased in September 2014. Based on the models available I would expect the 2,3,4 series trend toward but are still above the industry average & the 5,6,7,8 are significantly more than 50% leased.

I would also expect the other German lux brands to be in the same general range with MB having the highest lease take rates.

FWIW Acura has been pushing leases for years now. You never see a print or TV Acura add that features an outright purchase price, they all feature $ per month lease numbers.

Be interesting to see what Acuras actual numbers are. Would not be surprised if they were quite a bit above the national average due to the MSRP.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-01-2014 at 09:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
4WDrift (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 10:09 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,594 Likes on 958 Posts
I saw the First TLX on the road today...Black!!!

Looked really good. Those jewel lights are awesome...
Old 10-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
3884 TLX were sold in September according to goodcarbadcar. This is a pretty good score.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:37 AM
Pro

C'mon dude, I said boosted 6 or 8 cylinders (used from my last reply). I never said anything about an 8cyl German. But a used M3 V8 is nice though.

For some reason you and the other guy in here got defensive when one has a neg opinion on the Acura brand.

I guess, we will have to wait and see how well the TLX will sell. I still haven't seen one on the road like some of the members up here given that the dealers around here have good amount of TLX on their lots.
Not going to argue with you because there's nothing to argue about. If you want a V8 luxury sedan, blown or not, you're looking at an M/5/7 series, a CLS or AMG, Cadillac V cars, even the Hyundai Genesis or Chrysler Hemi are going to run you more, most times MUCH more than a TLX. You said the reason you didn't buy a GS350 was because it had a V6, yet you bought an Accord with a V6.

Let's compare apples to apples, not apples to walnuts.

You said the real reason you didn't buy a TLX was not because it wasn't a good car, but because they wouldn't discount it for you. OK, fair enough. That's not a reflection of the car, but a decision on your part that a discount was at the top of your list as a buying decision. You bought an Accord because you got a big discount. I got a big discount on my wife's Accord, much bigger than I got on my TL Advance. Both nice cars. I wouldn't trade mine for hers, though. Hers fits her perfectly. Mine, I wouldn't say I flog it, but I certainly look for challenging roads to drive it on (wouldn't do that with the Accord).

Personally, I've seen BMW 335i price themselves out of the market. Audi has done the same. Mercedes is getting ready to do the same (C400).

S4, 335i, C400...all of them are now knocking at the $60K door equipped like an Acura TLX SH AWD Advance is. That's a HUGE price difference. I've owned the BMW and Audi. Those who say you're getting more...well, depends on what you want. As mentioned before, I'll take Acura's SH AWD system over Quattro or xDrive all day, every day. I'll take the quality of the leather sport seats of the Acura over the other two. Build is actually better in my TL than it is in my sister's '14 C300. Tech is better, too. Materials are equal to, or better in the Acura than the Germans. Not to mention the maintenance cost, nor the longevity of the Acura.

A 335i does have a sweet drivetrain. It's a German muscle car, and is fast, probably a half second quicker to 60 than my TL. The S4 is faster still. Unless you have a recent vintage 'vette, don't get into a stop light war with an S4.

People like what they like. I'll never try to dissuade anyone away from the German brands. Just don't try to throw stones at the Acura because you want a $60K car.

As a side note, I was impressed with the Lexus IS350 F sport. I understand why some of the trade rags like it over the 335i. It's a fun car. And, you can get one discounted for under $50K.

The TLX and the IS350 will be at the top of my shopping list, probably in the next 18 months.
The following 2 users liked this post by graphicguy:
4WDrift (10-03-2014), Stew4HD (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 09:55 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by seaeyes
3884 TLX were sold in September according to goodcarbadcar. This is a pretty good score.
That's 46,608 annually - didn't I read somewhere they were shooting for 55,000 per year?

Still a good number given the lack of availability at dealers and lack of general discounts being offered.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Car Enthusiast

Again man! I wasn't the one that try to argue with you. I was simply giving my personal opinion why the TLX may fail. Why you are keeping on ignore my statement of a USED higher class car? In my original post, I stated that it is my personal choice if I have to shell out that much. I would choose a slightly USED car. I have never compared the TLX to the other cars at new, have I?

I also said that, I made a deal with my wife, that's why I ended up with the Accord. Either getting her a nice car but have to wait longer for my next car or getting something under $30K and it will happen in 2 years. Yes, it does sound like a stupid deal on her part, but because she's not a car person.

I also did not compare the TL to the Accord, so stop comparing your TL to the Accord. Everyone knows that the Acura is class better.

One more thing I do agree with you and others is that I bite my own arse for owning a German when it comes to trade in or resale. However, I buy (never/will lease) a car to enjoy not to trade or resale.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Instructor

One of the keys for early sales success has been IF PEOPLE LIKE THE CAR, THEY BUY IT.
People are not taking care about beak, exposed exhaust , cheap interior etc. They know is a great car and are buying it. People dont know how it flared vs 3 series, A4 ,Lexus etc.
Theres a clear embargo form the press about that. An finally BUYER ARE OPENING HIS EYES.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:09 PM

I have yet to see one too. Lot's of 4G TL's and TSX's (no idea what gen but I see a fair amount of them) round these parts so it will be a matter of time methinks before the upgrades start to show up.

Originally Posted by CARLOS10
One of the keys for early sales success has been IF PEOPLE LIKE THE CAR, THEY BUY IT.
People are not taking care about beak, exposed exhaust , cheap interior etc. They know is a great car and are buying it. People dont know how it flared vs 3 series, A4 ,Lexus etc.
Theres a clear embargo form the press about that. An finally BUYER ARE OPENING HIS EYES.
Curious - why do you say it has a cheap interior - that's not the impression I get when I sit in mine.

Also curious about the press embargo - there have been a multitude of reviews posted online and the car mags will certainly have them in the print soon - they have to deal with the obvious lag-time as magazines come out on a monthly basis.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Instructor

The cheap interior is food from haters along with the other stuff.
And regards magazines , it just 5 days to confirm my concerns.
It will be TLX VS BUICK VS LINCOLN VS VOLVO . Who will care if the TLX wins ??
Old 10-02-2014, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by CARLOS10
The cheap interior is food from haters along with the other stuff.
And regards magazines , it just 5 days to confirm my concerns.
I'll care if they win - if the TLX doesn't win then clearly I won't care
Old 10-02-2014, 01:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
That's 46,608 annually - didn't I read somewhere they were shooting for 55,000 per year?

Still a good number given the lack of availability at dealers and lack of general discounts being offered.
September is traditionally a small month for car sales.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by graphicguy
Personally, I've seen BMW 335i price themselves out of the market.
Would disagree on this point. Their overall pricing strategy seems to be doing well in the market.

BMW sold almost 13,000 3/4 series in Sept & is having a pretty steady increase in sales. These brands overlap there model pricing so its not hard to have a 2 series cost more than a 3 series & a 3 series cost more than a 5 series.

MSRP wise the 2014 435M-Sport was about $600 less than the 2011 335is. The 435 has more optional stuff in it plus more horsepower, better suspension & better brakes.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Can't say if leasing is more common today or over the past few years than it was 10 years ago, as far as how it relates to Acura or the TL/TLX's success however the one big thing that is different that makes a very large impact in the difference in financing and leasing is the interest rates. 0-3 percent in leasing and financing is a lot different than 4-7 percent. In terms of leasing, that is actually huge as far as the monthly payment goes and I think that is what we are seeing translated in terms of sales and/or success, a part of it anyway. Not to mention Acura/Honda were never really that or as aggressive with leasing to begin with. There are case by case exceptions, but overall anyone with a little digging will find this to be fairly accurate.

As far as the 335 or 435 and cars like the S4 as well, and the more expensive variants of the group, I agree they do price themselves out of the market and I think that is the point, however they do save themselves by having $10-$15k spreads just among the single variant. So there are $45k 4/335i's and there are $60k 4/335's but to be fair that is part of the strategy because it's no secret that at that point you can get almost as comparable a 535 or as comparable, if you don't mind going a few thousand more which is not a big deal at that point. And they do strive for more of the halo effect and what not than the Acura brand and models do, perhaps are also in a better position to do so.

And then of course the variants that fall into the core of the market are the 320 and 328, A4, etc and just like an I4 TLX to FWD V6 tech, they make up the majority of the model's sales volume. In BMW's case, it seems like the 320 is the new 328 and the 328 is the new 335 but this is not new because when the 335 first came out it basically was the new M3 at that time in terms of price and perhaps position and the M3 then went even further. Where Audi brought the S4 down from where it was maybe. Just strategy, wouldn't say there is anything wrong with either approach or vehicle.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 10-02-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Pro

again man! I wasn't the one that try to argue with you. I was simply giving my personal opinion why the tlx may fail. Why you are keeping on ignore my statement of a used higher class car? In my original post, i stated that it is my personal choice if i have to shell out that much. I would choose a slightly used car. I have never compared the tlx to the other cars at new, have i?

I also said that, i made a deal with my wife, that's why i ended up with the accord. Either getting her a nice car but have to wait longer for my next car or getting something under $30k and it will happen in 2 years. Yes, it does sound like a stupid deal on her part, but because she's not a car person.

I also did not compare the tl to the accord, so stop comparing your tl to the accord. Everyone knows that the acura is class better.

One more thing i do agree with you and others is that i bite my own arse for owning a german when it comes to trade in or resale. However, i buy (never/will lease) a car to enjoy not to trade or resale.
ok....!
Old 10-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
. So there are $45k 4/335i's and there are $60k 4/335's.
Think you are a little short. It would be pretty hard to find either 355 or 435 for under $50k. Even if you ordered, you will not find one on the lot, a pure base 435 you are at $47K to start & a 335 is around $45 to start. Both are generally in the mid $50K (3) upper $50K (4) range out the door & even many of the x28's are now well into the $50's.

I believe the bell shape curve is the 320 at one end the 435 at the other with the 328 making up the bulk of the sales. The lower to mid range of the series has always carried most of the sales which would be expected on an entry level series. What you see with this is most entry level cars being bought off the lot & a larger share of the x35's being ordered custom built.

I don't see any change in the mix over the years & can't agree the top end of the series is pricing itself out of the market. Even at just a 20% of the sales they would about as well as the 4G did. At just 2 to 3% of 3 series sales they would be easily be outselling the RLX

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-02-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:50 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Think you are a little short. It would be pretty hard to find either 355 or 435 for under $50k. Even if you ordered, you will not find one on the lot, a pure base 435 you are at $47K to start & a 335 is around $45 to start. Both are generally in the mid $50K (3) upper $50K (4) range out the door & even many of the x28's are now well into the $50's.

I believe the bell shape curve is the 320 at one end the 435 at the other with the 328 making up the bulk of the sales. The lower to mid range of the series has always carried most of the sales which would be expected on an entry level series. What you see with this is most entry level cars being bought off the lot & a larger share of the x35's being ordered custom built.

I don't see any change in the mix over the years & can't agree the top end of the series is pricing itself out of the market. Even at just a 20% of the sales they would about as well as the 4G did. At just 2 to 3% of 3 series sales they would be easily be outselling the RLX
Well that is kind of what I'm saying, once you commit to the $45k starting version (give or take) you are going to continue to up sell yourself by at least checking a few more boxes or even moving up to next model. What choice do you really have? Better off just going well equipped and lower trimmed or to something else. That's the strategy.

$45k-$60k range mostly based on sticker and everything in between was my point, not actual models on the ground and how they sell. That's exactly what I'm basing that point from and I agree most here are ordered. And that also ties back to what that $5k, $10k, $15k difference or up sell in leasing today at 0-3% is vs 4-7% was about ten years ago. You can get a lot more in terms of a more expensive vehicle at least, mostly in terms of leasing for today's interest than yesterday's, so to speak. Anyone with a few grand to put down and $600 a month budget to spend on a car, or willing to commit, can get one. Not all things are necessarily equal but at say 6% from years past instead and that's closer to $100 more each month. There was previously a larger gap that has been narrowed due to credit and rates.

I'm in agreement with most else, for the most part, just clarifying that one part. I think the 320 is about $40k-$45k mostly, 328 is $45k-$50k, and 35's at $50-$55k, in terms of bulk sales in each trim. Could be higher or lower but average should be in that range regardless.

Pricing themselves out of the market doesn't have to mean pricing themselves out of any market. Remember, as I stated, the 335 came into the picture in the price and position of where the M3 left off, at the time. Other than it and the S4, both cars or version of which can be argued were originally one trim up from what we see of most cars here, most other entry vehicles are not reaching that far above the average entry level market position but as you can see, and can also attest to, that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 10-03-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
^ well said. leasing has allowed "regular" folks to drive a "nicer" car.
Steve Jobs leased his cars.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
If money is no issue then leasing is the way to go. Steady cash flow, and no anguish about trade-in value or finding a buyer to pay top resale price. You can also drive a new car every 3 years with minimal worries about maintenance costs, stone chips on front or windshield, replacement of tires, battery, timing belt, brake pads, etc.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by EE4Life
Per Acura, TLX sales, as of August 12, have been 115 cars. There are about 1000 TLXs in dealer inventory and about 1300 TLXs in transit.
Per Acura, TLX sales, as of August 19, have been 485 cars. There are 2016 TLXs in dealer inventory and 1372 TLXs in transit.
Per Acura, TLX sales, as of August 26, have been 991 cars. There are 2762 TLXs in dealer inventory and 1780 TLXs in transit.
Per Acura, TLX sales, as of September 2, have been 1924 cars.
Per Acura, TLX sales, as of September 9, have been 2754 cars.
Per Acura, TLX sales, as of September 16, have been 3454 cars.
Per Acura, TLX sales, as of September 23, have been 4252 cars.
Per Acura, TLX sales, as of September 30, have been 5564 cars
Old 10-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Per Acura, TLX sales, as of September 30, have been 5564 cars
Nice week to week increase!
Old 10-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Bear-avHistory is right....there are not many F30 stripper around, just check your local BMW dealer inventory.

I used to see semi-stripper E90 335i, not on the F30.

I believe the "oh I can finally afford the monthly payment for a BMW" or the "I cannot really afford it but I want one" crowd has been pushed down to the 328i and especially the 320i where you can find stripper specimen on the lot, especially for the 320i

The 320i has been an enormous success at least judging from how many I see on the road.....I used to see generally ton of new 328i everyday now the vast majority are 320i...I believe the 320i is what is turning the usually good 3 Series selling numbers into a smashing record.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
That is exactly the most natural competitor of the TLX..the Buick Regal....
Old 10-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Old 10-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

Yeah....unless you order a stripper from BMW, you're not going to find any of the 3 or 4 series 6 cyl models anywhere near the high $40s. Even the 328i equipped like for like to any TLX Tech is going to easily crack $50K. The 320i can be seen in pretty basic form at the dealerships, but gotta say, if you're looking for any sort of performance, or advanced features at all, you'll be highly disappointed in it. Even there, you start adding option packages on, you'll be well into mid $40s. For that kind of money, it really isn't a very good car. I suppose if you must have the Roundel, that's one way of getting it.

Same thing with the Audis or Mercedes. The CLA, while nice looking, isn't a very good car. To get a decent Benz, you must at least move up to the C Class. Even there, the 4 cyl is tepid compared to the 4 cyl TLX. You need the C400 to get into the performance of the TLX 3.5. And, you'll be hitting $60K by doing so.

A4 isn't bad. S4 is much better, but much more expensive (at least the way they ship them to the dealers here) than the TLX 3.5). Plus, SH AWD is better than Quattro. If I were going to get another Audi, it would be an S3. Again, staring hi 40s to get one of those....if you can even find one.

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX - Success or Fail?