Bad smell from vents

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:19 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad smell from vents

I had this issue for long time, usually in the winter when the heating system kicks in. Acura can't find the problem and I am ready to get rid of my 09.

This is intermittant so here is my problem. On some cold days, I put my heater on Hi and run it until the cabin is warm, than I put the temp at 27c and then there is a bad smell that comes from my vents. I have to put it back to HI for the smell to disappear. I can bring it back to 27 and below and the smell returns. I cannot describe the type of ordour, it is not a burn smell, but some sort of liquid smell. So during the winter, I have no option but to drive the car on HI.

Acura checked everything and can't find the problem. I have only replicated the problem once in front of the dealer so they do not think I am crazy. Last month they cleaned to whole system, but that only camouflaged the problem for 2 weeks. They ran out of options and I asked them to start replacing the system. They wanted to replace the blower, but I have asked them to start with the heater first. Unfortunately, summer is comming so I will not be able to test this until late fall.

Has anyone had this problem and anyone have any recommondations.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:42 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
when is the last time you replaced your cabin filter?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:38 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone had the same issue and others provided good suggestions in this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/really-bad-smell-heater-798327/

Hope it helps.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2012 shawd acura. When I go from heat to cold i get a musty smell from the vents only when the fan is on low or off in the cold temp setting. This is an issue I have had from day one and I bought it new. I'm not sure there is a fix for this as acura replaced my filter and I still have the smell. I currently have 30,000 miles on the car and its the same smell as day one.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
If you park your car outside a lot, you probably have leaves and other plant debris in your outside cabin air intake or in the system itself. Once that stuff decays it can create an odor like that.

Or you could be like me - I had a mouse living in my system for a few weeks. Luckily it didn't cause any damage/smell, other than trashing the cabin filter when it tried to get into the cabin of the car. Yuck.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmm...I have a similar problem. I can duplicate it at will. In my case, if I don't use the A/C for a while (maybe a month) and then first turn it on, I get that awful musty "wet" smell - like a wet basement. After I run the A/C (Auto mode) for a few days, the smell goes away and doesn't come back as long as the A/C keeps running. This happens immediately even right after I change the cabin filter.

There are days in the spring and fall where I take the A/C off and just use the outside air to save some MPG.

I'll go and read the other thread to see if there is a solution.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:18 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
One of the solution is to keep the A/C running all year long, and yes, even in the freezing cold winters.

This way the A/C will dry out any moisture inside the ventilation system, thus preventing molds and mildews from growing and emitting the foul smell.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I change out the cabin and air filter. It make a world of difference, cleaner air and the smell was gone.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:33 PM
10th Gear

My experience with most auto AC units is the same. The system collects condensation when the AC is turned off, and its got nowhere to go, so vents through the system. One solution I've found successful is to "purge," the AC system before turning off the car. Merely turn off the AC and turn the fan on a higher speed some 3 or 4 minutes prior to reaching your destination. To avoid "that smell," I turn the Mode to Floor. Upon start up, voila, no smell.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:44 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by igowest
I had this issue for long time, usually in the winter when the heating system kicks in. Acura can't find the problem and I am ready to get rid of my 09.

This is intermittant so here is my problem. On some cold days, I put my heater on Hi and run it until the cabin is warm, than I put the temp at 27c and then there is a bad smell that comes from my vents. I have to put it back to HI for the smell to disappear. I can bring it back to 27 and below and the smell returns. I cannot describe the type of ordour, it is not a burn smell, but some sort of liquid smell. So during the winter, I have no option but to drive the car on HI.

Acura checked everything and can't find the problem. I have only replicated the problem once in front of the dealer so they do not think I am crazy. Last month they cleaned to whole system, but that only camouflaged the problem for 2 weeks. They ran out of options and I asked them to start replacing the system. They wanted to replace the blower, but I have asked them to start with the heater first. Unfortunately, summer is comming so I will not be able to test this until late fall.

Has anyone had this problem and anyone have any recommondations.
Hi there,

I know this post is from several years ago but wondering how this all worked out for you? I have a smell in my Acura that comes and goes as well and the dealer cannot find the problem. My car smells like gas to me. No one can find any leaks. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Allie
Old 06-05-2019, 08:59 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I've had a similar experience but only after changing fluids like oil or transmission fluid. If I make a mess, it seems I have more of a general "engine" smell for a while. Maybe it's from it burning off the exhaust or something.

Has it been going on for a while? If you're sure it's a gas smell, I'd open the hood when the engine is running and smell certain areas - specifically next to the throttle body where the fuel vapor purge valve is, to see if it's leaking. That's part of the evaporative fuel system which helps prevent fuel vapor from escaping into the atmosphere. If it's defective, there could be a gas smell coming from it. The throttle body is on the right side of the car if facing the engine (drivers side). Red arrow.

If you don't smell a strong fuel odor from there, I'd sniff around the area below the intake manifold (big silver thing) and throttle body. Green arrow.That's where the fuel line from the gas tank connect to the fuel lines for the injectors. If that connection is leaking, that area should have a strong gas smell.

Lastly, try smelling down in the area where the actual fuel injectors are, which is between the intake manifold and the grey plastic panel which protects the ignition coils and wiring. Blue arrows.

You might smell a general "gas" smell everywhere but if any of those areas are leaking, it should be stronger in those specific areas.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:48 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts
It could be this as mentioned by @losiglow ...."specifically next to the throttle body where the fuel vapor purge valve is, to see if it's leaking".

I noticed my car started to smell like gas a bit and later on (6 months later), I would get the "Tighten Gas Cap" message in MMI. I replaced a part and smell went away.

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p...as-cap-974734/
Old 06-05-2019, 02:34 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Good point. The gas cap lets air in, but doesn't let fuel vapors out. If it's defective and letting fumes out, that could certainly be a reason for the smell. If it wasn't letting air in, I suppose the vacuum that would begin forming in the tank could cause problems as well.

Allie - Are you getting any check engine lights or "tighten fuel cap" notifications?