Two types of sounds (one possibly transmission?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 08:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two types of sounds (one possibly transmission?)

Let's start with the first type of sound. Occasionally when I am stuck stop and going around 25 mph I hear a noise which is hard to describe. The first time I heard it, I thought I had veered into some bushes on the side and they were scraping my car. It's not an incredibly harsh noise, and it doesn't come with any severe (or really noticeable) jerks to the car. It sounds kind of like a sharp gust of wind, or sandpaper. It's very hard to reproduce, but today I heard it again briefly for the first time in a while.

I glanced down very quickly to see if the tach was doing anything funny, but it seemed stable. I've done some research to see if the sound might overlap with the TC issues some cars have, but the symptoms don't really seem to match. I would be really, really glad if anybody has feedback on this, or has experience the same thing.

The second noise is probably normal (I hope), it's a fairly quiet, electronic whirring noise that seems to come from the front left of the car. It's most noticeable at very low speeds, and rises and falls with engine speed. I listed to sounds online of propeller shaft and alternator noises, but it didn't seem right. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 02-28-2019, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wayner I have the same issue as you, the second sound that your describing, my 2012 TL tech has about 125,000,
Old 02-28-2019, 05:29 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
perhaps electric power steering unit?
Old 03-07-2019, 12:54 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The first sound, where does it sound like it’s coming from?

The second sound, when you say left, do you mean driver or passenger side?
Old 03-14-2019, 11:25 PM
Cruisin'

The first sound sounds like it's coming from . . . everywhere? It's very hard to locate.
Second sound I mean driver side, should have specified that I'm in the U.S.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:11 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wayver
The first sound sounds like it's coming from . . . everywhere? It's very hard to locate.
Second sound I mean driver side, should have specified that I'm in the U.S.
No problem, left side is driver side but you never know with some people... The correct way to determine left or right is based off of sitting inside the car looking out the windshield, but to this day, some people determine the side based off of standing in front of the car, looking under the hood... It gets really tricky when talking about my wife’s RHD Jeep Wrangler.

Anyways, no clue on the first sound. My car had the TC problem and the only sound I know of from reading reports and my own experience, is the gurgling sound on cold startup, which has now been found to be the ATF in-line filter and not specifically the TC.

I hear a sound every once in a while that might be what you’re hearing, which I would describe it as a rattle/gurgle, maybe even running over bushes/tree limbs, but not so much scraping or wind. The sound Im describing is coming from the AC blend door in the dash. I’ve only noticed this sound when taking off from a stop or low low speed, which makes sense if the blend door in this car is operated by vacuum... I can’t say for sure though, just throwing it out there.

As for for the second sound, I believe your hearing the whining sound from the transmission/propeller shaft. Is this something you noticed recently?
Old 03-15-2019, 07:27 PM
Cruisin'

Sound #1 doesn't sound like gurgling, I suspect it has something to do with the TC, I don't know if my car ever got the software update. I will get that checked sometime soon. It only really shows itself when the car is very warm, and then gets in stop and go traffic, and it's quite rare.

Sound #2 it's possible it could be the shaft. If the windows are down and I accelerate from a stop, I do hear a quiet but very high pitched whine coming from the front left side. What I was initially referencing is really more of a pleasant whir, like a really toned down version of a jet engine starting up, so maybe it's also the shaft.

From what I've read, the propeller shaft problem is more of an annoyance than a concern, and sometimes comes back even if you replace the shaft. It's no great disturbance to me really, except that I'm a hypochondriac about my car.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:26 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wayver, did you get sound 1 fixed? I am pretty certain I am having the exact same problem...it is a weird vibrating, rough (I can definitely see the sandpaper reference) sound...and for me it happens between 20 and 25 and about 40-45 mph...and only when warmed up...and only when going slow through those speeds...or in traffic. If I speed through them it is non-existent.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-2019, 07:55 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by knightryder2
wayver, did you get sound 1 fixed? I am pretty certain I am having the exact same problem...it is a weird vibrating, rough (I can definitely see the sandpaper reference) sound...and for me it happens between 20 and 25 and about 40-45 mph...and only when warmed up...and only when going slow through those speeds...or in traffic. If I speed through them it is non-existent.

Thanks in advance!
So, I don't know.

I haven't done anything major to fix it. I did a 2x drain and refill and it hasn't reared its head again, at least not at a significant level. But, on the other hand I haven't been making long trips and getting stuck in traffic lately.

I am going to the dealer on Saturday though, and one of the things I'm having done is to check if the software update has been done. If it hasn't I'm asking them to. After that my plan is to do another drain-refill soon for good measure and cross my fingers.

My mechanic didn't notice any filings/shavings in the trans fluid when he changed it, so I'm hoping that whatever the problem is it's not a damaging one.