Renew XM Radio for $77 or less for 12 months, Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did it

and it worked, but it didn't go exactly like the script. I started off with a woman with a Southern (Virginia?) accent, told her I wanted to cancel and she immediately transferred me to Bangalore. This new woman really kicked her reading skills into overtime. Why was I cancelling, what were my favorite channels, did I know about blah blah blah. It's a standard sales technique to get you used to agreeing with them before they move in for the close, so don't say much and watch what you say because it will be used against you.

I said it was price, plus disappointed that some channels had commercials. She just kept reading and agreeing and reading and jumped right to the $20/5 month offer. No need to mention codes or flyers or nothing. I said that sounded good but how about a price for a year? She jumped right to $77.

Now here's the catch, and they did this to me last year too. In order to make some money back from you, they make your new annual rate effective as of the day you call, NOT the day after your last deal ended. That way, they get to charge you a hyped-up bogus non-discounted daily or weekly rate for the time between your subscriptions. So mark your calendars carefully, because they DO NOT turn off your radio when your subscription is up; they let it run and let the cash register run as well. You can also have them send you an invoice instead of billing a credit card, so they don't have that info from me on file. They charge $2 for that.

They were also pitching lifetime subscriptions, which might have been tempting except I'm in a lease and, frankly, XM/Sirius is still on very shaky ground. Even though the woman talked endlessly, I wasn't sure exactly what she was saying about listening online, they are changing that somehow.

Oh, I forgot to say ... THANKS FOR THE TIP AND THE SCRIPT!
Old 03-11-2009, 03:30 PM
2008 NBP Navi

so, i called 5 times on 2 diff phone numbers (including a supervisor) and all have said not able to offer me the same promotion. i followed the script and even stated that i knew someone else that took advantage recently but, still they didn't budge. did offer 2, 3 and lifetime packages. said could only use that promotion once or no longer offered.

i see many others renewed but are those from the trial period? i see a few have done multiple times but, i'm just SOL?!

any help appreciated.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:52 PM
2017 TLX TECH V6

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This still works. It took a little longer this time. I had to threaten to cancel (was really going to) then they transferred me to somebody who offered the $77 deal
Old 03-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
anyone get a better than the going rate for traffic / weather? or a combination of the traffic / weather and the radio? my traf/weath free trial just ended.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
just cut and pasted this:

XM NavWeather Pricing

Get discounted rates when you combine XM Radio with XM NavWeather service. For further discounts combine XM Radio, XM NavWeather, and XM NavTraffic. See below for details.

XM Radio Only $12.95 monthly
XM Radio + XM NavWeather $16.94 monthly
XM Radio + XM NavWeather + XM NavTraffic $19.95 monthly
XM NavWeather Only $9.95 monthly

if they want 3 times the going rate for the just the radio ($77/yr) for all 3 at $20/mo or $240/yr - forgetaboutit thats too much
Old 03-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Intermediate

I can see them wanting more dinero for traffic and weather. The music programming they figured into their costs long ago.

When my traffic trial ended I let it go and haven't missed it since. Then again, in LA we have 2 AM stations that do traffic on the 1s and the 5s, and there's the Metro Traffic channel on XM.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I called yesterday and wound up going with the $19.95 for 5 months deal. Mainly because I had just paid the $33 for 3 months, so they prorated me a $28 refund, gave me the 5 months for free and left the $8 as a credit on my account.

I marked my calendar for 5 months from now so I can know to call and cancel again and take whatever deal they offer in the future.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

I tried calling today and they wanted my old account number which would have been on the post card. How do I acquire my old account number so I can take advantage of the $77 deal? thanks

Originally Posted by Xpditor
This thread, which has more than 165,000 views and 2400 posts, has been broken up into five (5) separate threads. This one is just the most recent to spare you from days of reading. If you want to refer to the previous posts, the links are here:

Part 4

Part 3

Part 2

Part 1

Based on the posts of successful members, I estimate these threads have saved AZ members $ 154,000 collectively. And now, back to our program which is already in progress:

First... call and make sure they are not going to auto renew you and charge your credit card. Have your radio code and call the customer service number. Tell them you want to let it expire because it's too expensive at full rates.

Then, they might offer you the $77 deal. If so, skip the rest of these steps and take it. If not, hang up after making sure it will not auto renew.

After it cancels, then call in with the script about having gotten a flyer. See the scan of the previous flyer posted HERE .

Then call the 800-682-4114 number and read the script:

SCRIPT FOLLOWS:

"Hello. My subscription to XM Radio has expired but I just got a flyer with a special offer. I would like to take advantage of this offer for $77 for a year."

The old promotion code, "zwinback", according to recent posters who secured the deal, is no longer needed. If they ask for the radio code, give that to them. They WILL ask for it because that's the only way they can turn it on. If you had, in fact, gotten a flyer, it would have your radio code printed on it so have it handy. You can always get your radio code by tuning your XM radio to channel 0.

If at first you don't succeed, try again. Most people get it on the first try but others required 2 or 3 calls to different Customer Service reps.

Yes, you CAN get it over and over again. Many of us are on our forth year at $77. But NOTE: This is not a front door, well known promotion. It is a quiet deal to get old customers back who have canceled. If you jump on the phone and say that you heard about this deal on the Internet/Acurazine, you might just kill the Golden Goose. Be considerate of those coming behind you.

Lastly: as you will read, the SCRIPT works. If you don't follow it, you're on your own. Take the time to read the instructions for best results.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Maybe not for everyone, but I just settled for a lifetime XM/best of Sirius/online subscription for $499.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Instructor

Does $77/year include Best of Sirius

Are you guys getting XM to add "The Best of Sirius" to the $77/year deal? I'm up for renewal this April and after paying $77 for a 1 year subscription last year, they are trying to auto renew my account at $38 quarterly! HA!
Old 03-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Skwalker23
Are you guys getting XM to add "The Best of Sirius" to the $77/year deal? I'm up for renewal this April and after paying $77 for a 1 year subscription last year, they are trying to auto renew my account at $38 quarterly! HA!
You're getting their standard renewal offer, just ignore it. As for Best of Sirius, that's not normally included in the $77. Neither is traffic and weather, and neither is listening online apparently. But if you're good at negotiating, give it a try. As the old beer ad said, grab for all the gusto you can get!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Does this deal work on brand new activations?
Of course I could use the 3 month trial to my advantage though.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by unr1
Does this deal work on brand new activations?
Of course I could use the 3 month trial to my advantage though.
Yes, it does. I bought a pre-owned TL a few years ago. I called XM and got the 3 month free trial. When that expired, I called using the script on this thread and got the $77/year deal.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:25 PM
tLnSx

just called today to cancel and they offered me 5 months for $20. sounds better than $77/year if you do the math.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Yes, it does. I bought a pre-owned TL a few years ago. I called XM and got the 3 month free trial. When that expired, I called using the script on this thread and got the $77/year deal.
Sounds good, thanks.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:35 PM
9th Gear

Thumbs up XM Renewall for $77

Just bought an 06 TL and definitely wanted XM radio, but was quoted the standard yearly rate PLUS an activation fee...No way! Saw the post on using "The Script" and just got off the phone with XM, and it worked like a charm. Told them I just bought the car and that the original owner gave me a promotional flier for a discounted rate. They asked me if I had it in front of me, and I said yes and that it has a code on it, which I told them was "zwinback". They immediately approved it. So I received the free 3 month trial and also signed up for one year at $77. So now I have 15 mths for $77. Note that they made a point out of telling me that it would auto renew at the higher rate if not cancelled prior to expiration. Thanks alot for the tip!
Old 04-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My trial subscription ended a few days ago.

Got it to work on my second call.
800.682.4114. automatically connect with a csr.
Read ""Hello. My subscription to XM Radio has expired but I just got a flyer with a special offer. I would like to take advantage of this offer for $77 for a year." word for word.
Guys says cool! and didn't even ask for the code. Got it all done in less than 5 minutes.

First CSR asked for the code. I told him I don't have the flyer in front of me because I'm at work but that I think the code is "zwinback". He wouldn't take it and said all the codes start with that. At that point, I knew it wasn't going to work, so I kindly hung up and called 2 minutes later.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Instructor

I just resubscribed for the 2nd time last Tuesday and easliy got the $77/year deal again.

However, I went to listen online this morning and found out that my account is no longer eligible for online listening. They want me to pay an extra $2.99/month for that.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Intermediate

They want me to pay an extra $2.99/month for that.
You got emails from them about that, if they had your addy. Go to some XM forums before you pay, it seems to be quite complicated. I thought my friend in Bangalore told me that by renewing when I did, I would get the online but I didn't.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My annual XM subscription almost expires so I called the CSR and told him I want to close my account (I really wanted to) due to the economy and I don't see much value in their service for $77/yr. The rep insisted to give me another year for $77 but I declined, citing the reasons above. Finally, he gave me 3 months for free! Not bad I think. I'll just have to call them before it expires if I still want to cancel my account.

BTW, this works on ANY XM Radio, not just the ones in your Honda/Acura cars.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Intermediate

I just called and got the deal without even being asked the code from the flyer. It was done in about 4 minutes. Thank you all.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
<----- Happy when you're happy!

Old 04-19-2009, 05:11 PM
10th Gear

Just called right before my 3mo trial was up.

1st person was going to let me hang up w/o renewing, so right before i asked if there were any promos b/c current rates were too high. she transferred me to someone in charge of "cancellations" (AKA can make offers to make you not cancel)

he offered be 3mo at $15, i asked if there were any promos more long term and he immediately offered $77 for a year. I took it just because i dont want to be calling them every 3 months. it was pretty easy. i dont think anyone else should have much trouble once you get to a "cancellation" person.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:37 PM
07 Nighthawk Black Pearl

Originally Posted by Dbrez8
Just called right before my 3mo trial was up.

1st person was going to let me hang up w/o renewing, so right before i asked if there were any promos b/c current rates were too high. she transferred me to someone in charge of "cancellations" (AKA can make offers to make you not cancel)

he offered be 3mo at $15, i asked if there were any promos more long term and he immediately offered $77 for a year. I took it just because i dont want to be calling them every 3 months. it was pretty easy. i dont think anyone else should have much trouble once you get to a "cancellation" person.

Agreed! I'm on the phone with XM now. I spoke to the rep and she tried offering me a whole bunch of deals. Then I said, nah, that's too high still. Don't really feel that the service is valuable enough, got transferred to "cancellations" and the lady offered me three offers, 1 at 119.88 for 1 year, another at 156.45 for 1 year and the last one at $77.00 for 1 year. Bit on the 77 for 1 year. Wonder what the point of those other 2 offers were...LOL
Old 04-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Instructor

Do you need to pay the full $77 when you subscribe or is it a monthly thing?
Old 04-24-2009, 04:51 PM
1st Gear

I browsed through the thread here, but any luck getting this for sirius subscribers? I'm a previous XM subscriber, I went to sirius about a year ago and have it installed in my car and everything.. The 800# listed is for XM, calling sirius, they haven't heard anything about this promo, and the best they seem to give me is $116/year. When I called to cancel, I wasn't even offered a free month or anything..was really bad customer retention..the guy didnt even make an attempt
Old 04-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by frankland
I tried calling today and they wanted my old account number which would have been on the post card. How do I acquire my old account number so I can take advantage of the $77 deal? thanks
If they ask for the radio code, give that to them. They WILL ask for it because that's the only way they can turn it on. If you had, in fact, gotten a flyer, it would have your radio code printed on it so have it handy. You can always get your radio code by tuning your XM radio to channel 0.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
I got a renewal notice in the mail back in March, did nothing about it and they charged my credit card for $38.85 per quarter. I called to cancel the service, they send me to that department, and they asked if I enjoyed the service. I said "yes" and they said why are you cancelling? I said because it's too much and $77/yr. works for me. They said they can do $119 a year, and I said "I'm on a tight budget" and only $77 works. They said, ok because you're enjoying the service we'll put you back on $77/year.

4 years in a row baby!
Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Maybe not for everyone, but I just settled for a lifetime XM/best of Sirius/online subscription for $499.
Well.. is that lifetime of the vehicle? What if they file for bankruptcy? They've been below the $1 for 8 months now and back in feb it dropped to $0.05 / share. Not trying to spook anyone but I would be concerned.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
Well.. is that lifetime of the vehicle? What if they file for bankruptcy? They've been below the $1 for 8 months now and back in feb it dropped to $0.05 / share. Not trying to spook anyone but I would be concerned.
No, that's lifetime of the buyer. You can transfer it to another radio (I think there's a charge) as many times as you want/need.

Not really worried about bankruptcy, they just got an infusion of $300,000,000.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I've just went to the xm website...

They have $77 for a year or $30 for 6 months deals.. no begging required

I've just entered my radio code and zip under financed or leased vehicle.. and the rates just came up.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

Back on the deal for the 4th or 5th year

I just ask to cancel, then they went through the script of 'the first offer i can give you is 9.99 a month'.. .said no thanks. then they skipped to the $77/year, and I just acted surprised. Thanks AZine.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:15 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone else getting harassing telephone calls from XM?

I traded my RL, picked up another car with XM. Had 2 months remaining on my XM subscription, so I transferred it over. 2 months is now up.

For the past 2 weeks, I'm getting harassing, automated telephone calls, approximately 3 times a day, from XM, on an unidentified number, saying "YOUR SUBSCRIPTION IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE YOU MUST RENEW IMMEDIATELY." No way to shut it off or opt out, and it holds the line open -- very irritating.

I'm waiting for it to fully expire so I can do the $77 deal, but honestly, I may just tell them to stuff it after the harassing phone calls. The new car doesn't have XM traffic, and I have an iPod, so I can do without them... and since they added DJ's to all the stations, they're not as good to listen to anyway.

But glad to know it still works.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Instructor

It still works. They went through all the scirpts and then offered $77/yr plus cost of traffic for a total of $124/yr.
Thanks!
Old 05-10-2009, 06:51 AM
5th Gear

Offers still available in 5/09?

Any idea if this or any other XM offer is available now? I am in my 3 month trial period, but definitely do not want to spend the $13.99 or so they normally charge.

Thx!
Old 05-10-2009, 05:30 PM
9th Gear

i took the plunge after 5months without it!

worked like a charm but i did it half a$$!

called and just said i just bought the car and the previous owner transfered the service to his new vehicle but he did give me a promotional flyer for $77/year....CSR said, thats no problem i will set you up for that. then i milked it more saying "can you honor the 3months free trial on top of my $77/year also?" she said "since its factory equipped and youre a new customer, ill give that to you too!"

so i got it for $77 for 15months :bowdown:
Old 05-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
I've just went to the xm website...

They have $77 for a year or $30 for 6 months deals.. no begging required

I've just entered my radio code and zip under financed or leased vehicle.. and the rates just came up.
Where exactly did you put in this information. I would much rather just renew online at $77 then deal with all the phone calls...Thanks.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:46 PM
2nd Gear

Talking

HAHAHAHA!!!! I cant believe this works!!!! So easy, just read the exact script saying I received a flier in the mail to renew my XM for $77.

THANKS ACURAZINE!!!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Cruisin'

AND, it worked. Awesome, thanks to all!!
Old 05-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Cruisin'

3 month trial ended last week. I renewed for $77/year without using the script. When she offered me 4 years for like $350 I said, "no thanks, but I do know of a deal for 77/year." She says, "Ok, we can do that for you." I bet you I could have asked for $50/year and they would have gone for it. They really just need every penny they can get right now.

Quick Reply: Renew XM Radio for $77 or less for 12 months, Part 6