Notices

Auto Interior Illumination

 
Old 05-02-2010, 02:06 AM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
t5620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Age: 37
Posts: 86
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Auto Interior Illumination

Auto Interior Illumination
what does it does?... in the keyless setting Meter
I don't get it, I don't see any difference whatsoever between max min, hi, low, or off.

Acura TL 2010 no navi
t5620 is offline  
Old 05-02-2010, 12:07 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
SSGHutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas, Ft. Hood area
Age: 35
Posts: 402
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The auto interior illumination refers to the soft blue led's that are near your map lights. They look like two small holes. When's it's dark out, you'll notice that your cup holders and front foot wells are slightly illuminated. There is a slight difference between low, med, and high.
SSGHutch is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 08:58 AM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
Pete2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston Metro
Age: 38
Posts: 2,761
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by SSGHutch View Post
The auto interior illumination refers to the soft blue led's that are near your map lights. They look like two small holes. When's it's dark out, you'll notice that your cup holders and front foot wells are slightly illuminated. There is a slight difference between low, med, and high.

You can set the amount of the int illumination? I'll have to try that out, totally missed that.
Pete2010 is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 03:21 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
SSGHutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas, Ft. Hood area
Age: 35
Posts: 402
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010 View Post
You can set the amount of the int illumination? I'll have to try that out, totally missed that.
That's the fun with this vehicle, so much tech that it's hard to find it all lol.
SSGHutch is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 03:45 PM
  #5  
Eli
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Age: 33
Posts: 191
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Pretty sure the blue ambient lights, and all the gauge/button lighting are controlled all at once by the dimmer control buttons.

The auto interior illumination setting refers to how sensitive the automatic dash lighting is to outdoor conditions. It's separate from the auto headlights. So when it starts getting darker out, the setting controls how dark it has to be outside to turn on dash lighting.
Eli is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
 
SSGHutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas, Ft. Hood area
Age: 35
Posts: 402
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
See? Now I have learned something new lol!
SSGHutch is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 06:25 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
t5620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Age: 37
Posts: 86
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Pretty sure the blue ambient lights, and all the gauge/button lighting are controlled all at once by the dimmer control buttons.

The auto interior illumination setting refers to how sensitive the automatic dash lighting is to outdoor conditions. It's separate from the auto headlights. So when it starts getting darker out, the setting controls how dark it has to be outside to turn on dash lighting.

Yes, That is correct, Thanks for the information, I could not figure it out.

have a nice day.
t5620 is offline  
Old 07-07-2019, 10:48 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
AliShibaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Canada
Age: 38
Posts: 51
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Now I need to find out what the dimmer control buttons are ?
AliShibaz is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 01:21 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 788
Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
For the front driver & passenger foot wells, you need drill out hole or change the LED module. They used a BLACK opaque module and you can't see the light at all.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...-light-947730/
echodigital is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 01:41 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Age: 47
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From the Manual:


Auto Interior Illumination
While the headlight switch is turned on, the interior lights gradually dim, as the outside light level gets low. You can customize at which outside light level the lights start to dim.

There are MAX, HIGH, MID, LOW and MIN levels and OFF for the auto interior illumination settings.

If you want the illuminations to start dimming as early as possible, select MAX. For illuminations to start dimming as late as possible, select MIN. Choose HIGH, MID, or LOW for levels in between.

To disable the auto interior illumination function, select OFF.


SoFla David is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 06:06 PM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
AliShibaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Canada
Age: 38
Posts: 51
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello David and thank you.

I must say that I read the description you quoted from the manual and I couldn't make any sense out of it. This feature seems like a rather minor one to me and so I'm not complaining. As a matter of fact, I have never before owned a car with even a tiny fraction of the controls this car has. Part of the reason I find things so confusing is that there are two different controls for Interior Illumination.
One control is in the METER SETUP section called AUTO INTERIOR ILLUMINATION. The second control is in the LIGHTING SETUP section and it's called INTERIOR LIGHT DIMMING TIME.

In echodigital's post, he or she talks about some light that are down by your feet. I had always thought that INTERIOR ILLUMINATION referred to the map lights positioned near the rear view mirror and the light at the top of the cabin in the back seat. I have tried to fiddle with both these controls to see if I could understand how they work but I just don't get it.

One problem I have is trying to figure out what the "outside light level" could possibly have to do with the interior lights. The manual says:

AUTO INTERIOR ILLUMINATION: While the headlight switch is turned on, the interior lights gradually dim, as the outside light level gets low. You can customize at which outside light level the lights start to dim.

My first thought was "outside light level" refers to how light or dark it is outside. My understanding was that as it gets darker outside, you can control something about the rate at which the interior lights dim. But why would you want to dim the interior lights as it grows darker outside? I would have thought that as it grows darker outside, you would need more interior lighting - not less. Moreover, what does this have to do with the headlight switch being on or off? I don't understand any relation between the headlights and the way the interior lights dim as it gets lighter or darker outside.

I found it impossible to experiment with this feature to try and figure it out because I cannot control how light or dark it is outside. I must admit this feature completely mystifies me. If anyone can explain what this is about, I would appreciate it.

Echodigital seems to suggest there are some soft blue lights near your feet that might help to see down there if you drop something. But apparently, those lights are somehow covered with something and I would have to drill some holes in order to see them. I would be too afraid to be drilling any holes in the driver's compartment. I would be afraid that I might damage something or drill into a fuel line. I'd love to understand how all the SETUP options work. But I wouldn't want to understand them at the risk of damaging my MDX.
AliShibaz is offline  
Old 07-10-2019, 07:25 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Age: 47
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
During the day, the illumination of instrument cluster is at MAX brightness so that you can read it in the bright daylight. At night, when the headlights come on (either by manually turning on the headlight switch, or when the light sensor doesn't see daylight if the headlight switch is set to auto), the cluster dims down so that the bright lights of the gauges don't blind you in the dark. At the same time, many buttons on the dashboard, doors, steering wheel, center console, and overhead console also turn on when the headlights come on. While the headlights are turned on, you can adjust just how much the instrument cluster dims and how bright all these buttons glow by using the up and down buttons located on the dash just to the left of the steering wheel. You can even raise it up all the way and put it on "MAX brightness" which overrides that night dimming functionality and lights everything up as bright as it will go, including lighting the instrument cluster as bright as it is during the day (way too bright for at night).

The METER SETUP section called AUTO INTERIOR ILLUMINATION controls how that transition of the instrument cluster between bright (day) and dimmed (night) happens. Is it sudden, like flipping a switch, or does it fade between bright and dim either quickly, or slowly (easier for the eyes to adjust). This setting has nothing to do with the dome lights, blue under dash lights, or any other lights.

The LIGHTING SETUP section setting for INTERIOR LIGHT DIMMING TIME is strictly for the dome lights. That is the one that controls the dimming behavior of the dome lights (map lights) after you close the last door. There is no correlation between outside light level and dome light behavior.

The outside light sensor that triggers the automatic switching for headlights, instrument cluster lights, and other functions is the square translucent sensor on the top of the dashboard right behind the hump for the entertainment system screen. You can trigger the sensor at any time by either covering it (during the day) to make it think it got dark outside, or by shining a flashlight at it at night (to make it think it turned into daytime).

The blue lights under the dash have a very dark plastic cover that lets very little light through. Most people don't even realize that they are there due to the tiny bit of light that gets through the dark cover. Many of us modify them by removing the light from under the dash (Just twists off), snapping off the cover, and drilling a hole in the dark lens so that more light can pass through. The drilling is done on a workbench, not in the car.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by SoFla David; 07-10-2019 at 07:32 PM.
SoFla David is offline  
The following users liked this post:
AliShibaz (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 12:38 AM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
AliShibaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Canada
Age: 38
Posts: 51
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SoFla David View Post
During the day, the illumination of instrument cluster is at MAX brightness so that you can read it in the bright daylight. At night, when the headlights come on (either by manually turning on the headlight switch, or when the light sensor doesn't see daylight if the headlight switch is set to auto), the cluster dims down so that the bright lights of the gauges don't blind you in the dark. At the same time, many buttons on the dashboard, doors, steering wheel, center console, and overhead console also turn on when the headlights come on. While the headlights are turned on, you can adjust just how much the instrument cluster dims and how bright all these buttons glow by using the up and down buttons located on the dash just to the left of the steering wheel. You can even raise it up all the way and put it on "MAX brightness" which overrides that night dimming functionality and lights everything up as bright as it will go, including lighting the instrument cluster as bright as it is during the day (way too bright for at night).

The METER SETUP section called AUTO INTERIOR ILLUMINATION controls how that transition of the instrument cluster between bright (day) and dimmed (night) happens. Is it sudden, like flipping a switch, or does it fade between bright and dim either quickly, or slowly (easier for the eyes to adjust). This setting has nothing to do with the dome lights, blue under dash lights, or any other lights.

The LIGHTING SETUP section setting for INTERIOR LIGHT DIMMING TIME is strictly for the dome lights. That is the one that controls the dimming behavior of the dome lights (map lights) after you close the last door. There is no correlation between outside light level and dome light behavior.

The outside light sensor that triggers the automatic switching for headlights, instrument cluster lights, and other functions is the square translucent sensor on the top of the dashboard right behind the hump for the entertainment system screen. You can trigger the sensor at any time by either covering it (during the day) to make it think it got dark outside, or by shining a flashlight at it at night (to make it think it turned into daytime).

The blue lights under the dash have a very dark plastic cover that lets very little light through. Most people don't even realize that they are there due to the tiny bit of light that gets through the dark cover. Many of us modify them by removing the light from under the dash (Just twists off), snapping off the cover, and drilling a hole in the dark lens so that more light can pass through. The drilling is done on a workbench, not in the car.

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps?

Wow! That is just about the best explanation of anything I could not understand. I cannot thank you enough for that detailed explanation. I would never have guessed that "interior illumination" referred to the brightness of the instrument cluster. But of course that makes sense. I thought there was a way for people to rate posts that helped them. But all I could see is a "LIKE" button.
But I just want you to know that I really appreciate your taking the time to provide me with such an excellent explanation. I would have never figured that out on my own.

P.S. I also want you to know that I really love my Acura. I have owned several other cars but never have I owned one that ran as smoothly and the ride was as comfortable and they provided so many options for me to control so many behaviors of the car. It's truly a fabulous vehicle!

Last edited by AliShibaz; 07-11-2019 at 12:40 AM.
AliShibaz is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 12:19 PM
  #14  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 788
Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
This post has some nice pictures of the drilled out holes:

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...ighter-783070/

I used a "counter sink drill bit" to make my hole. It's the best bang for the bug mod ever for 4G TLs.
echodigital is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
rp_guy
Member Cars for Sale
9
07-16-2017 07:33 AM
detailersdomain
Wash & Wax
3
10-09-2015 10:13 PM
Jimmy_D
Fifth Generation TLX (2015+)
31
10-07-2015 11:52 PM
malvothegreat
Car Parts for Sale
0
09-29-2015 12:38 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto Interior Illumination


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.