Official RonJon Grille Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
^Agreed, I can't see modding my $40,000 plus sedan with a grill with poor fitment. I don't understand why they haven't straightened it before putting her in the showroom. I love the grill design, but how hard can it be to get her straight?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura GM
In case anyone wants to see the Palladium Metallic grill with the emblem. Car is 2010 SHAWD auto. Also has the RJ Inspyre 19" in liquid graphite.
Thank you for being a part of the enthusiast community instead of avoiding it like the plague. :-) (Like most Acura dealers.)
Old 12-06-2009, 02:41 PM
ieh
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It also depends a lot on the angle you're looking at it or taking the picture from....
Agree! And so...right now I'm looking at this angle....the bar is not balance and the "A" is leaning to the left....
Old 12-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
You know, I wish we could get it to be plug and play, but the problem is the damn TL is so different from car to car, same minor problems arise on half the TL's, 1/3 have different minor problems and the last 3rd fit like a glove. Too difficult to figure out how it will fit. We did 3 different test fits each time on 2 different TL's with different results each time. it could go on forever, but at this point if we make any more adjustments, we might end up going backwards. However, professional installation is required and I'm sure a pro can make the small adjustments needed to make it look perfect. The cost of the grille is due to the low volume, variety of materials and parts and the fact that each grille is hand made.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
Anybody else with installations/pics ? i'd like to see some more colors installed
Must say i saw your car at the gym the other night and it looks amazing!! The grill looks sooo much better in person!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:08 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does look much better in person. And unless you stand on top of it, and pick it apart, you really can't tell. And to be honest, i'm not even sure if there really is anything wrong or if it's just an "optical illusion". We've measured and measured and it seems to be mathmatically straight.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
In case anyone wants to see the Palladium Metallic grill with the emblem. Car is 2010 SHAWD auto. Also has the RJ Inspyre 19" in liquid graphite.

Im in love. I need one now. Who do I write the check out to and for how much?
Old 12-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
From the photo, it looks like the top right corner (driver's side) of the grill is sticking out a little bit compared to the other side.....I have the same problem with mine and I just can't figure out a way to fix it. Also, it looks like the grill doesn't follow the contour of the hood as precisely as the stock one does......and my grill has this problem, too. But despite all this, I still love the look of the RJ grill 10X better than the Beak.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:31 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 6SpdTerror
Must say i saw your car at the gym the other night and it looks amazing!! The grill looks sooo much better in person!
thanks man! when i see your car, i get sad.... and miss my UA7
Old 12-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Connoisseur of Aesthetics

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a chance to really DIY my grille since there was a lot of interesting issues with it that Rondy knows about. First off, like Ron says, the grille is handmade. To be honest, if the fitment is off..it is more so the person who put it on's fault. The bar being crooked, not hard to drill proper holes into it or clip the mesh with wire cutters. As far as fitment goes, fitment was perfect on mine and according to Ron every car is different. I will say, that sometimes getting that OEM grille off, can bend the frame a little bit which causes the new grille to be put on at an awkward angle. The plastic clips holding the grille straight from the bottom, all have to be intact if you want it to be as close as possible. I know I broke a few in the process, proudly went to my local dealership and got some extras.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:48 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
thanks man! when i see your car, i get sad.... and miss my UA7
lol. I got a loaner fwd TL Tech yesterday while i got mine serviced and i must say.....that thing drives nice and handles great too. My Type S felt faster tho but im assuming its because it isnt the bigger engine and my car is stick. Im strongly considering getting the AWD 6MT or i could just wait for a new type-s!!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:12 AM
2nd Gear

RJ Grills look great....

Can somebody post pictures of a RED Acura TL with the RJ Grills with or without an Acura symbol? Are these grills readily available?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:38 PM
LOVES HIS TL!!!

Originally Posted by 6SpdTerror
lol. I got a loaner fwd TL Tech yesterday while i got mine serviced and i must say.....that thing drives nice and handles great too. My Type S felt faster tho but im assuming its because it isnt the bigger engine and my car is stick. Im strongly considering getting the AWD 6MT or i could just wait for a new type-s!!!!
Where you guys located on LI ?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:42 PM
I have car ADD

^ Im in North/West Nassau county
Old 12-30-2009, 07:45 PM
I have car ADD

You know, i just wanted to voice my opinion on the RJ fitment issues

When i first got my Grille a few months ago, and installed it.. I was a little cranky about the fitment not being 100%... I even drove up to Ron and he looked it over with me...At first, the "flush" appeal was not there, because i was used to my OEM grille

Over time, i noticed, that my grille really doesn't fit that bad at all.. I never made a 2nd round of adjustments, and i am quite frankly happy with the fitment as it is now

The installation will definitely take time, patience and a skilled installer to make it fit great.... I think if you're grille doesnt line up 100%, you should remove it and try again.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:49 PM
LOVES HIS TL!!!

^ Im in North/West Nassau county
I guess we're referencing towns in code... lol

I'm in Oceanside... that would be South West Nassau County lol
Old 12-30-2009, 07:55 PM
I have car ADD

lol. well i Live in New Hyde Park, but just purchased a place in Bellerose/Little Neck .. (technically Queens)
Old 12-30-2009, 08:01 PM
LOVES HIS TL!!!

lol. well i Live in New Hyde Park, but just purchased a place in Bellerose/Little Neck .. (technically Queens)
Awesome, Congrats.

BTW, Car looks great, the Grille looks great as well!

This Grille is hot, the price isn't so hot though... lol
Old 12-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Just wanted to give a heads up. We made a very slight adjustment which worked WONDERS on the fitment with confirmation on the last 5 grilles shipped out to dealers and customers who had the first version grille.

And the big change was... 2mm larger holes in the top four main bolt holes. Thats it, that allows installers to adjust the position of the grille 2mm in any direction, front to back, side to side to achieve the desired position in relation with the hood and headlights. Tighten one bolt , close the hood, check fitment, pop the hood open, tighten the second bolt, and repeat step one. So anybody with the grille can apply this change we have made on our new grilles going out. We had to do this because all the grilles fit in different ways on different cars. There are slight differences from car to car in the way the same grille would fit.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Go Ron! Those grilles look hot. Again, the grille really does change my mind about the car. The grille makes a lot of difference.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:29 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
It looks like the 2nd Gen TSX guys are confronting the same problem we TL owners are...

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/really-need-test-fitter-socal-756640/

[/URL]
Old 01-01-2010, 05:31 AM
Colorado Springs

Old 01-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not an 4G TL owner (yet), but having a fix for the hideous nose is making a SH-AWD TL a potential next ride. I think the RJ solution looks great, as it not only isn't the OEM 4G nose (already a huge plus), but it also looks great and fits the overall Acura design language. To get that look, I'm willing to pay and deal with some tweaks regarding fit (so long as an ideal fit is possible).

Anyway, great work!!!!
Old 01-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Im Broke But Im Ok

i need to see a TL--WITH A RJ GRILL in person
Old 01-11-2010, 11:51 AM
My beer fridge is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
alright, i'm finally caving in. People have been bugging me for a pic of the Ron Jon Grill with the JnC Head lights. Well here it is, the car is FILTHY, but it hasn't been over 28 degrees F here in like a month. When it warms up i'll wash it and put up some better pics, but until then, here is a pic.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by venom550pm
alright, i'm finally caving in. People have been bugging me for a pic of the Ron Jon Grill with the JnC Head lights. Well here it is, the car is FILTHY, but it hasn't been over 28 degrees F here in like a month. When it warms up i'll wash it and put up some better pics, but until then, here is a pic.
Damn you... are you trying to get me to empty my bank account and make my wife leave me... That is sick, the headlights really make that front end with the RJ Grille.

It's bad enough I was able to finagle a spring time wheels/tire purchase for the car, but now headlights and grille...
Old 01-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Instructor

im with petec on this, my bank account is getting drained from this website. but i must say a RJ grill may be in the future for me. might have to wait til july as a birthday present for myself. thats looks fantastic venom, I still wish I would have went with the CBP instead of my grigio, I love the grigio but black is just awesome. keep those pics coming!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:34 PM
User-approved

Moral: TLs look good even when filthy!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Instructor

on the RJ website there are 3 options for the finish of the grille. the first is unpainted, the second is painted OEM metallic for $770, and the third is painted OEM pearl for $805 i believe. what is the difference between metallic and pearl? it also says they come painted in alabaster silver? how do i get it painted grigio and what would the total cost be? thanks
Old 01-11-2010, 10:43 PM
My beer fridge is in

Originally Posted by petec2010
Damn you... are you trying to get me to empty my bank account and make my wife leave me... That is sick, the headlights really make that front end with the RJ Grille.

It's bad enough I was able to finagle a spring time wheels/tire purchase for the car, but now headlights and grille...

Pete,

Careful what you wish for, you're one of "the people" asking for pics! I know what you mean about the wife. I told her if i bought this car i was getting the grill or i wasn't buying this car. Also, my wife is a CPA you're lucky you only have to "finagle" i have to down right hide, steal, borrow and embezzle for my mods i told her i was getting wheels and i got "the look" time to roll my change and hope for a lot of road work so i can hide my expense checks
Old 01-11-2010, 10:49 PM
My beer fridge is in

Originally Posted by BigBunks
im with petec on this, my bank account is getting drained from this website. but i must say a RJ grill may be in the future for me. might have to wait til july as a birthday present for myself. thats looks fantastic venom, I still wish I would have went with the CBP instead of my grigio, I love the grigio but black is just awesome. keep those pics coming!
when i got mine they had to trade with another dealer for the CBP it was a hard color combo to find, the salesman is a friend of mine and showed me the sheet of all the new england dealers when i got it, it was the only black/black tech awd in new england except for 2 demos. i got lucky.

Originally Posted by BleuM&M
Moral: TLs look good even when filthy!

agreed

on the RJ website there are 3 options for the finish of the grille. the first is unpainted, the second is painted OEM metallic for $770, and the third is painted OEM pearl for $805 i believe. what is the difference between metallic and pearl? it also says they come painted in alabaster silver? how do i get it painted grigio and what would the total cost be? thanks
i believe the grigio is metallic, the CBP (crystal black pearl) would be $805. The a bar is painted silver, not sure what silver though. i believe for your car it would be $770 plus shipping. But you could double check with rondog on that. he is very helpful on the phone or via acurazine.

i'm kind of liking the new vega wheels he's been advertising on here.....hmmmm maybe i'll give him a call.....
Old 01-12-2010, 03:21 AM
5th Gear

The Ronjon grill with the emblem makes it look sort of like a previous gen Acura grill - I like it!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Drifting

Pete,

Careful what you wish for, you're one of "the people" asking for pics! I know what you mean about the wife. I told her if i bought this car i was getting the grill or i wasn't buying this car. Also, my wife is a CPA you're lucky you only have to "finagle" i have to down right hide, steal, borrow and embezzle for my mods i told her i was getting wheels and i got "the look" time to roll my change and hope for a lot of road work so i can hide my expense checks
HAHA... i shouldn't have asked...I didn't know it would look so good. I was only able to get new wheels because I said I wanted winter tires. The conversation went something like... "Well you can't swap the tires every year, you need different wheels... I'll have to get different wheels and tires, but the good news is that I can swap them myself and save a ton a money!"
Old 01-12-2010, 08:09 PM
I have car ADD

Also, my wife is a CPA you're lucky you only have to "finagle" i have to down right hide, steal, borrow and embezzle for my mods

....I'm telling....

Old 01-17-2010, 09:34 AM
5th Gear

just installed grill from ronjon fit was great with very little tlc.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Colorado Springs

Originally Posted by mikesblackr
just installed grill from ronjon fit was great with very little tlc.
pics or its a lie...
Old 01-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Intermediate

looking for a pic of a Polished Metal Metallic with RJ grille with bar & Acura emblem?
Old 02-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Drifting

Rhinoplasty Complete

Ok, Here are 2 photos until this weekend... Enjoy...

They were taken with my crappy iPhone.

Had it professionally done... fitment looks as good as it's going to get. There are some slight gaps on the lower inside corners of the lights, but nothing crazy, and it's barely noticeable.

And the key thing... it looks 100 times better in person w/ the blacked/cleared headlights!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Instructor

wow thats looks incredible. im must say i am very envious of yoru tl. absolutely amazing job on customization. im so dissappointed my talked talked me into getting grigio over black. keep up the great work
Old 02-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Drifting

wow thats looks incredible. im must say i am very envious of yoru tl. absolutely amazing job on customization. im so dissappointed my talked talked me into getting grigio over black. keep up the great work
Thanks,

It's funny, if they had the Grigio available in 6MT, I probably would have gotten that one :P The grass is always greener....

But I do love my CBP, it's a good thing I love to detail my car, it's a must with this car.

Quick Reply: Official RonJon Grille Thread