Maybe Leaving Acura for Infiniti

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by sebounet2005
I agree with you about interior (i have a g37x premium), and with years it becomes more outdated, it needs a refresh. But when i changed from TL to G37 i overpassed this and take a lot of pleasure to drive it.

I know what you mean about interior space, but go and try a BMW 3 series or an A4 and it's the same or worst
With the accents the g37 interior is much nicer than TL, IMO. I appreciate the cockpit feel as I don't feel like I'm driving a bus. However to each their own. If the g37 needs a refresh, which is does so does the TL. IMO the g is much sleeker and better looking than the TL. Ymmv.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by amer
I stick with TL
3series too small and A4 is same thing they not near the TL size
I was fine with the size of the A4, the 3 series I wish was a little bigger but if I liked it more I would overlook it. It did have a good size truck. The IS felt too small, although legroom for the driver is fine the shoulder room and headroom (if you need a backseat rear legroom too) needs to increase. The TL doesn't feel big when driven though.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G37 guy01
I don't know what u look but u must be blind if u say the g37 interior is nicer then TL,
i opened the doors and it felt like i opened Kia i closed the doors it sound like it got loose bolts in the doors, the control for mirrors got the 360degree turn to the left and right so out dated, the heated seat control has turning knobs, center consul and cup holder cheap as hell, the dashboard is ugly,the gauge cluster ugly i don't want to say too much but i think i go with Kia Optima before that car, cheap as hell and road noise doesn't even feel like luxury car IMO

JPD985
I like the size of 4gTL but i don't like when my shoulders are resting on "B" post and passenger,

My friend had 335 sedan and it was small no one can sit behind me, audi i never like so never looked into it
Old 12-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Instructor

G37 guy01
I don't know what u look but u must be blind if u say the g37 interior is nicer then TL,
i opened the doors and it felt like i opened Kia i closed the doors it sound like it got loose bolts in the doors, the control for mirrors got the 360degree turn to the left and right so out dated, the heated seat control has turning knobs, center consul and cup holder cheap as hell, the dashboard is ugly,the gauge cluster ugly i don't want to say too much but i think i go with Kia Optima before that car, cheap as hell and road noise doesn't even feel like luxury car IMO
The quality of the interior materials for the G37X felt like they were below its price point in my opinion (I liked the layout and the fact the steering wheel adjustment in electric and not manual). It wasn't a deal breaker for me though.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Instructor

i careless about the movement on the whole cluster and steering. steering wheel looks cheap.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Intermediate

G37 guy01

JPD985
I like the size of 4gTL but i don't like when my shoulders are resting on "B" post and passenger,

My friend had 335 sedan and it was small no one can sit behind me, audi i never like so never looked into it
Based on your description, maybe you should also test drive a Lexus. You might fall in love with it.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
EW i do not like infiniti nissan at all. stay away. There are better cars out there like the TSX V6, 2012 Benz C350, 2012 BMW 328i, VW CC and Lexus IS350.

if you want something comfy and lux look at the buick verano:

my Favorites are the TSX V6 and the 328i.

Last edited by pickler; 12-23-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:32 AM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
G and TL, They are both great car. There is no need to conflict which car is better.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:51 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by yooin14
G and TL, They are both great car. There is no need to conflict which car is better.
But the OP can only pick one of the two !
Old 12-23-2011, 03:12 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
only reason why you would pick a infinity/nissan is due to RWD.

otherwise they are shit cars
Old 12-23-2011, 05:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz

Please elaborate. I've owned three Infinitis and four Nissans. I must have missed something. They were all pretty good cars.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:31 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
Please elaborate. I've owned three Infinitis and four Nissans. I must have missed something. They were all pretty good cars.
That goes for me too, I've owned 2 Nissans and they were not only very reliable, they drove well with the same amount of road noise as my Acura which personally every car company can do a better job.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hamma Tyme
That goes for me too, I've owned 2 Nissans and they were not only very reliable, they drove well with the same amount of road noise as my Acura which personally every car company can do a better job.
My M45 was one of my favorite cars. It was not perfect, but then I have not found a car that is. But I liked it enough that I would have got another one except the deals went away on them after I got my first one.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I had an fx35 before my Acura TL... the fx35 gave me soooo many electrical problems it was ridiculous before 50k miles. I was so happy to trade it in. Im not a fan of the nissan 3.5 either, they are known for their reliability but also their engine knocks. go figure
Old 12-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stoianoff31
I had an fx35 before my Acura TL... the fx35 gave me soooo many electrical problems it was ridiculous before 50k miles. I was so happy to trade it in. Im not a fan of the nissan 3.5 either, they are known for their reliability but also their engine knocks. go figure
This was your experience. How many others owned your vehicle and had the same problems? There is going to be some that have problems. Generally I heard the Gs have a good reputation for reliability. For the OP it comes down to which one they like better and could see themselves enjoying it years from now. I personally think you couldn't go wrong with either.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts

Seriously???? That's kind of a bold statement about the G.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Burning Brakes

G37 guy01

JPD985

If I'm blind you must have lousy taste. I do agree the brushed aluminum is not my cup of tea, but the maple accents bring it to a whole new level. Much nicer than TL. To use your logic, I'd rather buy a Camry than buy a TL. The TL ranks behind the 335 and G in almost every comparo I've read, except for one. In that one comparo a 2010 SHAWD was compared against two year older 335 and G.

While I can appreciate you like your TL and opinions are like you know what, real world Acura has to up the ante and have the target market really see they've upped the ante.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Had this 280ZX T–Top from 1981 to 2005. Cut the roof off in 1983 & the car was still running on original engine when we donated it to “make a wish” in 2005. It saw 3 kids through high school, college & first job.

Only non-regular maintenance item was a new clutch package in 2000. No reliability issues with this Datsun/Nissan.
Attached Thumbnails Maybe Leaving Acura for Infiniti-z1.jpg   Maybe Leaving Acura for Infiniti-z2.jpg  

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-23-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The G is a nice car. I would never call it a shit car. If the G is a shit car then that doesn't say much for the TL because the two aren't that far apart from each other to begin with.

That being said, the TL is an overall more luxurious and better built car, I don't think anyone can really argue against that. I'm sure there are things that the G does better than the TL, but I think the TL scores better in areas that affect actual real-world use.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jpd985
This was your experience. How many others owned your vehicle and had the same problems? There is going to be some that have problems. Generally I heard the Gs have a good reputation for reliability. For the OP it comes down to which one they like better and could see themselves enjoying it years from now. I personally think you couldn't go wrong with either.

I totally agree. But wouldnt you base your opinion on your own personal experience? I like the infiniti product or i wouldnt have bought it, but unfortunately it i got a lemon. If its new and you're protected under warranty from all angles I say buy whatever you want!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
The G is a nice car. I would never call it a shit car. If the G is a shit car then that doesn't say much for the TL because the two aren't that far apart from each other to begin with.

That being said, the TL is an overall more luxurious and better built car, I don't think anyone can really argue against that. I'm sure there are things that the G does better than the TL, but I think the TL scores better in areas that affect actual real-world use.
i disagree, the TL does everything better. The 2012 solved the big grille problem too so in terms of looks at least the TL is not dated. 0.92G at skidpad is really good for a TL SH-AWD, that's more grip than Aston martin v8 vantage. Acura's reliability is better than infiniti, so is its roomier interior and comfort. The infinti's only win might be the exhaust note.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
My M45 was one of my favorite cars. It was not perfect, but then I have not found a car that is. But I liked it enough that I would have got another one except the deals went away on them after I got my first one.
I also looked at the M45 after I saw the 09 TL redesign and the Infiniti people were less then negotiable on price and this was late in the production year. So I moved onto BMW and cut a sweet deal. Paid a little more, but got plenty in return.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I picked the TL over the G37x, because of room inside and even though the G37x was 5Gs cheaper, the 0.9% financing made the TL way more attractive and in the end they both cost the same.

And my impression was as well, that the inside of the G was not as up to quality of the TL.

In the end both cars have their pros and cons, and we picked the TL and that's why we're in this forum.

So a guy with g37 in his name of course defends his pick...

I pickled the TL because of roominess, Honda's reliability, price and SH-AWD. And I loved the design, but I am German so what do I know...
Old 12-23-2011, 04:26 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TinyRK
I picked the TL over the G37x, because of room inside and even though the G37x was 5Gs cheaper, the 0.9% financing made the TL way more attractive and in the end they both cost the same.

And my impression was as well, that the inside of the G was not as up to quality of the TL.

In the end both cars have their pros and cons, and we picked the TL and that's why we're in this forum.

I pickled the TL because of roominess, Honda's reliability, price and SH-AWD. And I loved the design, but I am German so what do I know...
I m really surprised with the price difference you get in USA between TL and G, are you sure you are comparing the same level of equipment ? Because here in Canada the G is more expensive than the TL
Old 12-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I m really surprised with the price difference you get in USA between TL and G, are you sure you are comparing the same level of equipment ? Because here in Canada the G is more expensive than the TL
Yes, I'm Canadian too and that is exactly my experience. For the same set of features the G is +1k or so more - on a 2011G .
I test drove a G too before I got my new 2012 TL-SH-AWD. It handles well and is a rocket off the launch pad. The engine did feel a bit coarse compared to the J37 in the TL and the interior is smaller. The ATTESA-ETS system is probably not as unique as the SH-AWD.
I thought the TL was a more well rounded car and its handling is outstanding - where I live we have a lot of roundabouts and its a *real* blast barreling the TL thru them - not as much fun in a G. But on a straight the G is outstanding. I did also like the analog clock - nice classy touch.

Just my 2C
Old 12-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Intermediate

This is a website for Acura owners, of course people tend to like Acura more.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Both are good cars and you couldn't go wrong with either one. It just comes down to what you like best. To me the TL felt smoother and more refined and I like the interior quality better. To others that may not be the case. The important thing is to get the car you like better and not the one others think you should get.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I paid $37500 for my TL, the G37x was a few bucks less and included:

2011 G37x,Liquid Platinum / Graphite Leather. Premium Package, Navigation Package, Interior Accent Package, Performance Wheel & Tire Package; Wheel Locks. List Price: $42730.00 Your Price, including all incentives & trade-in: $34,222.55*

But with the 2% difference in financing the TL was still cheaper (don't nail me on the math, because that was a year ago ), but I think Acura paid me more with my trade-in.

Last edited by TinyRK; 12-23-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:18 PM

I paid $37500 for my TL, the G37x was a few bucks less and included:

2011 G37x,Liquid Platinum / Graphite Leather. Premium Package, Navigation Package, Interior Accent Package, Performance Wheel & Tire Package; Wheel Locks. List Price: $42730.00 Your Price, including all incentives & trade-in: $34,222.55*

But with the 2% difference in financing the TL was still cheaper (don't nail me on the math, because that was a year ago ), but I think Acura paid me more with my trade-in.
wow the difference is huge a full equip g37x as you describe is around
51 115$ here plus taxes. but it includes a 1500$ rebate. We are so rich in Canada we can afford that

Tl 2012 sh awd tech Auto, 48885$ plus taxes here. You 43 770 plus taxes. 5 000$ in difference

Last edited by sebounet2005; 12-23-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pickler
i disagree, the TL does everything better. The 2012 solved the big grille problem too so in terms of looks at least the TL is not dated. 0.92G at skidpad is really good for a TL SH-AWD, that's more grip than Aston martin v8 vantage. Acura's reliability is better than infiniti, so is its roomier interior and comfort. The infinti's only win might be the exhaust note.
Well that's if you drive in circles. Hit the straights and bye bye TL. So TL does not do everything better but you pick what you like. No hard feelings and happy holidays.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jpd985
I have had two Nissans and both had electrical problems, this was in the 90s but I would really never consider another Nissan (Infiniti) after being burned twice!!
Old 12-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Help me out with speed...from what I'm reading both cars are doing 5.2-5.4 0-60, and high 13 quarters. Is that not the case? Doesn't seem like a point of discussion to me.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
Help me out with speed...from what I'm reading both cars are doing 5.2-5.4 0-60, and high 13 quarters. Is that not the case? Doesn't seem like a point of discussion to me.
We already covered that. The only TL that comes close is the manual transmission. With automatics the G37 runs off and hides from a TL. I'm basing that on both road test data and the fact that I have driven both.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:30 PM

We already covered that. The only TL that comes close is the manual transmission. With automatics the G37 runs off and hides from a TL. I'm basing that on both road test data and the fact that I have driven both.
i agree, same experience
Old 12-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Had this 280ZX T–Top from 1981 to 2005. Cut the roof off in 1983 & the car was still running on original engine when we donated it to “make a wish” in 2005. It saw 3 kids through high school, college & first job.
Ah that brings back memories. I had an 810 (same chassis as the 280ZX) back in the very early '80s that was a real lemon. Really the only lemon I have owned. Nothing but problems with the fuel injection that the dealer couldn't fix so they stayed fixed, and this was just before lemon laws so I was stuck with it. The fuel gauge didn't give a reliable reading so I had to track the mileage by hand so I wouldn't run out of gas. Of course the dealer couldn't reproduce it to fix it. The paint was defective so it rusted quickly as soon as the warranty was over. Scarred me to the point where I won't go near Datsun/Nissan/Infiniti ever again. I haven't been inside any type of Nissan dealer in 25+ years and haven't any intention of breaking that streak while I live.

When I replaced the 810 my wife made me promise 1) no fuel injection and 2) no Datsun.

It just goes to show how much anecdotal experience influences people. I am sure many people have much better results with their Nissan products, but the the thought of my owning another one makes me retch.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
While I think the G has a very attractive exterior, I feel that the interior left much to be desired in comparison to the TL. Since you spend the majority of the time inside the car (versus looking at the exterior of course), I think it is something you should weigh heavily in your decision. I found the G's interior rather plain/boring.

I also did not feel that I lost much (if anything) in the performance area, when picking the TL over the G...after testing both vehicles extensively. This is comparing the 6 MT versions. I cannot speak for the performance difference with the AT.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
There were a few times I thought about jumping over to infiniti because I heard nissan was very reliable, and I knew that auto transmissions for honda/acura were not great at all but wasn't sure if nissan had tranny issues as well. But for what it's worth, the specs/numbers on paper don't mean anything, I test drove a g35 late model and it didn't feel like it had power, it felt heavy, sluggish, and interior materials are squeeky and cheap. Then again the tl has cracked dashboards. I would look more into the mechanical aspects more than anything, 7AT I would assume more shifting, therefore more clutch pack wears and etc. Unless you go manual, others sometimes may need to borrow your ride but don't know how to drive stick.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
Well that's if you drive in circles. Hit the straights and bye bye TL. So TL does not do everything better but you pick what you like. No hard feelings and happy holidays.
well most of the fun i have in the car is on the twistys. in the city youve got to be stupid to speed too much. so easy to get a ticket. i find the tl is plenty fast. love driving with the paddle shifters in manua mode.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:35 AM
Advanced

It just mean you are getting older

I just bought yesterday a new 2012 TL AWD TECH A Bellanova White with umber interior

I owned a g37X AT 2009. Before this car i had 2 Tls 2005 and 2007.

I just changed not because i don't like my g37, but i wanted to change and not lease almost the same car for the next 3 years, And i know a new g is coming soon. Also i have a very good deal from Acura, with maintenance included, 0.25% rate, 25 months lease (in Canada).

Interior i haqve always regretted my TLs, I got used with g37 interior but really is not as nice as the TL. Exterior compare to 2012 Tl for me no love or hate for both. Just the TL is too large for my need and taste

bellanova white with umber? if I can get this combination when my infiniti ex 35 lease ends in march of 2013 I am going to be an acura driver again. the acura tech is better than the infiniti tech and the acura is smoother. damn I wish it was already 12 months in the future!
Old 12-24-2011, 02:52 AM
Advanced

the word is infiniti. and they are not shit cars. your comment is absurd. the g series is a good driving car but low on luxury relative to its direct competition. the lexus is 350 is to me the best car having leased one for 4 years. my infiniti ex 35 would be better if it was 25% larger and had the 7 speed transmission. the interior is much much better than any g but too small.

Quick Reply: Maybe Leaving Acura for Infiniti