I had to do it. I just had to have both!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 05:52 AM
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 137 Posts
I had to do it. I just had to have both!

In March of 2021, I purchased a 2007 Acura TL Type S. This was my first Honda/Acura vehicle. I have been so mesmerized by what the car could do as an FF platform, and have learned to appreciate it extraordinarily so over the past year. Yesterday, I finally found an opportunity to add the next best thing to the stable: a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech. I've been hunting for 4 months, and the wait has been worth it. I look forward to testing the SH-AWD out, and finding out what it is actually capable of achieving. I haven't pushed the car yet, but from the initial experience, it seems to excel in every facet over the Type S. I particularly like this 2012 car because it has the 09-11 rims, and I've seen so few 12-14 cars with this combination. I didn't have any negative opinions on the 2009-2011 model years, it's just that I happened to find the facelift model instead.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ascension:
02AEMCL (04-21-2024), Dragon27 (05-27-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 07:02 PM
Pro

I can't believe how well planted the SH-AWD is as well, like the Type-S. Also, it has quite some extra power, especially for weighing ~300 lb more than the Type-S. It feels faster than the Type-S without a doubt. The Type-S excelled so well for what it did, and it seems the SH-AWD takes every aspect to the next level.

I can't imagine how I would feel if I were to get into a TLX Type-S right now.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I would love to have a 07 TL type S along with my 2012 TL as well. I agree, I'm not a fan of the stock rims on the 12 TL tech, I got lucky and got the Advance rims on mine. Did you get the 12 TL in manual?
The following users liked this post:
Ascension (05-12-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 07:50 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by Ascension

I can't believe how well planted the SH-AWD is as well, like the Type-S. Also, it has quite some extra power, especially for weighing ~300 lb more than the Type-S. It feels faster than the Type-S without a doubt. The Type-S excelled so well for what it did, and it seems the SH-AWD takes every aspect to the next level.

I can't imagine how I would feel if I were to get into a TLX Type-S right now.
Having owned a 2012 SH-AWD TL with aftermarket lightweight wheels and Pilot Super Sport summer tires, I can tell you that the TLX Type-S (with Y-spoke and OEM summer tires) is light years ahead of the 2012 SH-AWD TL in both acceleration and handling performances.
Ascension (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 07:43 PM
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
That's very awesome combo!!! I wish I could buy 2007-08 types manual as an addition to my 2011 TL 6MT but for that money I better buy another 4G 6MT

Enjoy your toys and keep them in great condition
Ascension (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 10:04 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Nev05
Congrats on the purchase. I would love to have a 07 TL type S along with my 2012 TL as well. I agree, I'm not a fan of the stock rims on the 12 TL tech, I got lucky and got the Advance rims on mine. Did you get the 12 TL in manual?
Thank you. It's a 6AT, as it was so difficult trying to find a manual, not to mention the extra premium people and dealers were asking. I was extremely surprised with the 5AT in the Type-S, that I really didn't mind, nor miss, driving a manual! I do have one single gripe with the 6AT, though, as it seems many others have had as well from searching. That gripe is the automatic shift from first gear into second. I imagine I'll just have to get used to it. I understand why it was implemented this way, and I'll just have to accept it.

Originally Posted by shurik74
That's very awesome combo!!! I wish I could buy 2007-08 types manual as an addition to my 2011 TL 6MT but for that money I better buy another 4G 6MT

Enjoy your toys and keep them in great condition
Thank you. After having experienced both platforms, albeit automatics, the SH-AWD truly excels in every single facet. So, it'd be a downgrade for you, technically. The SH-AWD TL has to be the best OVERALL car I have had yet, and I'm really impressed with the platform.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:42 AM
Pro

So, I had time last night to go on a long, five hour cruise, and push the car. I have a few spots around Cleveland and Akron where I have enough room for error to push my cars. I'm speechless... How is SH-AWD so fucking proficient?!! So, for comparison sake, my quickest and best handling vehicle that I've had up to this point is my 2004 STi (and still have). The SH-AWD, took the turns JUST AS FAST as my STi....

2004 STi = ~3,200 lb, and tires are Dunlop Sportmaxx RT
2012 TL SH-AWD = ~4,000 lb, and tires are Continental ControlContact Sport SRS

The SH-AWD is not as quick, nor as stiff, as the STi, but holy fuck do I feel so connected! It's so euphoric for a comfortable, luxurious vehicle! I'm so sad to report that the Type-S is a piece of shit compared to the the SH-AWD! It's such a ridiculous, and hysterical comment, but it's the fucking truth! The SH-AWD excels in every facet over the Type-S. I'm so impressed at the level of performance. I can't believe how much I fucking love this car!

The only modification that I will do is change the exhaust tips. I really dislike that the 2012-2014 have the single exhaust outlets. The dual look from the 2009-2011 was perfectly subtle enough. I found what other users have done in the past, and it's only going to cost around $200 for the quad tips.

I have to believe that I'm going to own a 2021 TLX Type-S at some point down the line. Not only does it look killer, in my eyes, but it's an improvement over the 4G in every facet, from what I've read.

02AEMCL (04-21-2024)
Old 05-26-2022, 11:26 PM
Pro

After about two and a half weeks in the SH-AWD, I've swapped back into the Type-S for a couple of days. The Type-S excels as an FF platform, truly. However, the SH-AWD is better in literally every single facet over the Type-S. I love the Type-S, but I love the SH-AWD way more! In this moment where I have both cars, the SH-AWD is a more euphoric experience. I fucking love it so much!

Also, now I have another problem... I want a 6MT SH-AWD!!! I want to experience the improved drivetrain!
Old 05-27-2022, 12:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
After about two and a half weeks in the SH-AWD, I've swapped back into the Type-S for a couple of days. The Type-S excels as an FF platform, truly. However, the SH-AWD is better in literally every single facet over the Type-S. I love the Type-S, but I love the SH-AWD way more! In this moment where I have both cars, the SH-AWD is a more euphoric experience. I fucking love it so much!

Also, now I have another problem... I want a 6MT SH-AWD!!! I want to experience the improved drivetrain!
Glad you are enjoying you Acuras, both great platforms!
Ascension (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 01:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
So, I had time last night to go on a long, five hour cruise, and push the car. I have a few spots around Cleveland and Akron where I have enough room for error to push my cars. I'm speechless... How is SH-AWD so fucking proficient?!! So, for comparison sake, my quickest and best handling vehicle that I've had up to this point is my 2004 STi (and still have). The SH-AWD, took the turns JUST AS FAST as my STi....

2004 STi = ~3,200 lb, and tires are Dunlop Sportmaxx RT
2012 TL SH-AWD = ~4,000 lb, and tires are Continental ControlContact Sport SRS

The SH-AWD is not as quick, nor as stiff, as the STi, but holy fuck do I feel so connected! It's so euphoric for a comfortable, luxurious vehicle! I'm so sad to report that the Type-S is a piece of shit compared to the the SH-AWD! It's such a ridiculous, and hysterical comment, but it's the fucking truth! The SH-AWD excels in every facet over the Type-S. I'm so impressed at the level of performance. I can't believe how much I fucking love this car!

The only modification that I will do is change the exhaust tips. I really dislike that the 2012-2014 have the single exhaust outlets. The dual look from the 2009-2011 was perfectly subtle enough. I found what other users have done in the past, and it's only going to cost around $200 for the quad tips.

I have to believe that I'm going to own a 2021 TLX Type-S at some point down the line. Not only does it look killer, in my eyes, but it's an improvement over the 4G in every facet, from what I've read.
I agree with you 100%. The sh-awd is amazing as I loved it when I owned the ZDX. Tein dampers on the TL also helped with cornering. I definitely recommend getting the quad tips as well. I also hope to own a TLX type s one of these days. It looks amazing and aggressive when we noticed it in the showroom when we picked up the MDX type s, which is my wife's DD. The type s engine is amazing on the MDX in sport plus mode so I can't imagine how fun the TLX type s would be...
Ascension (05-27-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 11:08 PM
Pro

I've driven the car for just over 1,600 miles thus far. I'm happy to report that the oil level has not budget one bit, and it's still at the full mark. With my normal driving, spirited driving sessions, and WOT runs, my average MPG is 25.4. That's very adequate in my opinion! This car is phenomenal, and has to be my favorite daily driver that I've had up to this point. I love it so much!!!
Old 06-04-2022, 02:47 PM
Pro

Today, I replaced the hood struts, the intake air filter, and the cabin air filter. The cabin air filter must've not been replaced in a very long time...

Georgiey22 (07-26-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 11:08 PM
Pro

Today, I've crossed the 2,200 mile mark, and still no drop in oil level. I'll be so ecstatic if there's literally no loss by 5,000 miles. Either, I drive extremely calm and civilized, or other owners are just driving like they stole their cars. My average MPG over the previous 2,200 miles is 25.8 now. I've had plenty of fun during my midnight WOT runs, and spirited driving sessions, as well.

I'll admit the 6AT is excellent, after experiencing it in almost every situation. Absolutely no gear hunting! Very precise and smooth shifts. If I had a 6MT, there is no way I'd ever shift under 2,500 RPM... The 6AT shifts as low as 1,500 RPM, and I still find it strange how it can. And this engine is quite interesting as well. How is there so much torque, where the car can climb a hill at 1,200-1,400 RPM?! That does not cease to surprise me! Should I begin to view the 3.7L more of a V8, rather than a V6? Is this the "low end torque" I've seen people mention in other threads?

Can 0.2L of displacement, and an extra gear, make that much of a drastic difference between the 3G Type-S and the 4G SH-AWD? It's just so baffling.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:51 AM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Glad you're having a good experience with your car. The 3.7 is a strong-performing motor - sort of a jekyll and hyde. It's quiet and smooth with always-available power day to day, but if you wind it out it shrieks on the higher cam profile and moves along quite well. Keep watching your oil as you near 5K miles. Your early signs are good, but many of us who had oil usage saw it ramp up quite sharply after the car had 4,000 or so miles on an oil change. Hope yours hold steady all the way to the oil change interval.

Your mpg is similar to what I've experienced. I do about 75% highway driving, and I average around 26 or a little more in warmer weather. It naturally drops off in the winter, but always over 25.
Ascension (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 11:42 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Today, I've crossed the 2,200 mile mark, and still no drop in oil level. I'll be so ecstatic if there's literally no loss by 5,000 miles. Either, I drive extremely calm and civilized, or other owners are just driving like they stole their cars. My average MPG over the previous 2,200 miles is 25.8 now. I've had plenty of fun during my midnight WOT runs, and spirited driving sessions, as well.

I'll admit the 6AT is excellent, after experiencing it in almost every situation. Absolutely no gear hunting! Very precise and smooth shifts. If I had a 6MT, there is no way I'd ever shift under 2,500 RPM... The 6AT shifts as low as 1,500 RPM, and I still find it strange how it can. And this engine is quite interesting as well. How is there so much torque, where the car can climb a hill at 1,200-1,400 RPM?! That does not cease to surprise me! Should I begin to view the 3.7L more of a V8, rather than a V6? Is this the "low end torque" I've seen people mention in other threads?

Can 0.2L of displacement, and an extra gear, make that much of a drastic difference between the 3G Type-S and the 4G SH-AWD? It's just so baffling.
I can't speak to the auto so I am interested in how the steering feel is when it is shifting at those low RPMs. What I notice when I drive the MT is that the electronic steering seems to change based on the RPMs. It is significantly tighter and more responsive as the RPMs increase. There is a lot of slop and dead zone in there at lower RPMs to the point where I am almost always driving around 3k and shifting closer to 4 in regular driving just so that I get the good steering. It hurts the MPG quite a bit obviously. Not as bad as actually entering VTEC though lol.

Its crazy to me that the auto stays in the 1500-2500 range. It feels like I am never there and if I am its on the highway and even then its at 2500. 6th is pretty much a cruise control only gear for me.
Ascension (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 11:53 AM
Advanced

Oh and that cabin air filter almost looks like a Wix XP carbon filter. Its the yellow bits that make me think that. They look pretty black even new lol.
Ascension (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 10:11 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by FlyingDagger
I can't speak to the auto so I am interested in how the steering feel is when it is shifting at those low RPMs. What I notice when I drive the MT is that the electronic steering seems to change based on the RPMs. It is significantly tighter and more responsive as the RPMs increase. There is a lot of slop and dead zone in there at lower RPMs to the point where I am almost always driving around 3k and shifting closer to 4 in regular driving just so that I get the good steering. It hurts the MPG quite a bit obviously. Not as bad as actually entering VTEC though lol.

Its crazy to me that the auto stays in the 1500-2500 range. It feels like I am never there and if I am its on the highway and even then its at 2500. 6th is pretty much a cruise control only gear for me.
Oh and that cabin air filter almost looks like a Wix XP carbon filter. Its the yellow bits that make me think that. They look pretty black even new lol.
What you're describing regarding a tighter/heavier steering feel at higher RPM is exactly what occurs in the Type-S. I've been in the Type-S the last couple of days, so I'll report if the 6AT has the same effect whenever I swap cars again. Neither of my cars have any slop in the steering, regardless of RPM. They're both firm.

What's your average MPG with your shift points being around 3-4k RPM?

the 6AT stays under 2k RPM during normal driving, 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time would be during steeper incline hills and merging on the highway.

The cabin air filter was a generic no name brand.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
Ascension (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 10:21 AM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts
I like your TL with the OEM 18" 5 spoke from 2009-2011. I just did this recently when I was changing from Winter to Summer tires. It makes a huge difference on OEM 5 spoke because of the large openings.

I need to get some tire some tire shine to complete the look.

Last edited by echodigital; 06-14-2022 at 10:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by echodigital:
02AEMCL (04-21-2024), Ascension (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 10:24 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by echodigital
  • Repainted calipers black (DIY)
How difficult was that? Did you use new calipers? Did you just paint them or did you have to get the rust off first? The stock calipers are so ugly at this point.

Last edited by FlyingDagger; 06-14-2022 at 10:29 AM.
Ascension (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 11:19 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
How difficult was that? Did you use new calipers? Did you just paint them or did you have to get the rust off first? The stock calipers are so ugly at this point.
It's pretty easy there are many different kits. I used duplicolor kit with a brush but I'd honesty recommend a spray can kit would be easier. Prep work is the most important to remove rust and get the calipers ready for paint. I also added RDX caliper covers since the paint faded after a few years.

Last edited by dopeboy1; 06-14-2022 at 11:25 AM.
Ascension (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 12:18 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

@dopeboy1 Nice RDX mod and nice tire shine!
@FlyingDagger I got all my items at "Canadian Tire" but I sure there are more vendors in the US.

Rotor hats - Easy, I used caliper/rotor hat spray paint. You can miss a bit on rotor because brake pads will make it round and I masked the center hub/bolts.
Calipers - You need a angle grinder to grind away the rust to make a nice surface to paint. I only painted the front and side as much as I could see it. I used a brush caliper paint and just took my time. The first time I did it, I took off the brake pads (2021) and the follow up this year, I just left them on because the paint was still in good condition (2022).

Ascension (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 09:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
I also added RDX caliper covers since the paint faded after a few years.

45218-TX4-A00? Are there any covers for the rears? Did you have to use the silicon adhesive or was there a screw?
Ascension (06-14-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 08:06 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
45218-TX4-A00? Are there any covers for the rears? Did you have to use the silicon adhesive or was there a screw?
Yes those are what I used. I got 4 and used them for both front and back. They only bolt into the front calipers of a second gen RDX so everything else is a custom fit. Actually they fit our back calipers better than front. With the back all 3 tabs could be bent to hug the caliper then rtv adhesive to keep them in place. With the fronts I had to trim off the middle tab completely. Then the side tabs could be bent to hug the caliper but the middle tab was just in the way.

It was really easy though definitely something anyone can do. The metal is thin so can be bent by hand and I used tin snips to cut the middle tab for the fronts. I paid $20 cad for each cover from the dealership which is still significantly cheaper than any aftermarket caliper cover. I think they are helping reduce dust getting on the face of my wheels too.
Ascension (06-15-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
It was really easy though definitely something anyone can do.
Sounds like a good option. Just how easy, they probably still need to be cleaned and have the rust knocked off to apply them? I feel like the paint could be skipped if you are covering them.
Ascension (06-17-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 10:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Glad you're having a good experience with your car. The 3.7 is a strong-performing motor - sort of a jekyll and hyde. It's quiet and smooth with always-available power day to day, but if you wind it out it shrieks on the higher cam profile and moves along quite well. Keep watching your oil as you near 5K miles. Your early signs are good, but many of us who had oil usage saw it ramp up quite sharply after the car had 4,000 or so miles on an oil change. Hope yours hold steady all the way to the oil change interval.

Your mpg is similar to what I've experienced. I do about 75% highway driving, and I average around 26 or a little more in warmer weather. It naturally drops off in the winter, but always over 25.
2,600 mile update:
There is a slight drop in the oil level...! Tomorrow, I have a ~620 mile roundtrip road trip. We'll find out tomorrow evening when I return if the oil continues to drop.

I plan on changing the oil every ~5,000 miles on the SH-AWD. What is the interval that you use for changing your oil?
Old 06-27-2022, 08:43 AM
Keeping TL until 2029

I use 8000 KM which is about the same as 5000 miles. That is the typical setting via the MMI computer.
Ascension (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 09:51 AM
Drifting

Same here. I had the extended warranty replacement of pistons/rings and I change the oil at 5K miles. So far, all good.
Ascension (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 11:02 PM
Pro

3,300 mile update:
So, after my road trip, the oil level dropped down to the halfway mark... It seems that @JM2010 SH-AWD was fairly accurate based on his experience.

I do have some positive news though. My MPG went from 25.8 to 26.6 after that trip. This car is so perfect for a daily driver!
Old 06-28-2022, 12:45 PM
Drifting

Yep, that is the pattern. As the mileage accumulates on the oil change, consumption begins to increase. You've probably also noticed that the oil begins to get very dirty after about 3K miles.

Good that you're keeping a close eye on it. Many have damaged their motors by letting the oil level get too low.
Ascension (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 09:35 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Yep, that is the pattern. As the mileage accumulates on the oil change, consumption begins to increase. You've probably also noticed that the oil begins to get very dirty after about 3K miles.

Good that you're keeping a close eye on it. Many have damaged their motors by letting the oil level get too low.
With every car that I've had, I always check the oil level, coolant level, and tire pressures every couple of days. I've had one too many disturbing experiences in the past, and I don't wish to deal with nonsense ever again.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:03 AM
Pro

4,000 mile update:
Ever since topping off the oil last time, the level hasn't dropped yet. It's been about 700 miles since that was. I believe I will change out the oil at 5,000 miles, regardless. The oil life displays 60% right now.
altair47 (07-20-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Just washed my 2013 and rolled 101,000 miles. I’ve put all miles on it as a single owner and do not plan to sell it. It’s a car I use for grocery trips and such, doesn’t given much nowadays but can’t bring myself to sell it.

2013 TL Advance Trim
The following 3 users liked this post by Georgiey22:
02AEMCL (04-21-2024), Ascension (07-26-2022), JM2010 SH-AWD (08-24-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 09:18 AM
Pro

I sold the Type-S yesterday, and I genuinely miss it... It was the best FWD car that I've had up to this point. I suppose that the next car on the list will be a 6MT SH-AWD until the price on used TLX Type-S's come down to a sum I value.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:46 PM
Pro

I have a prospect of a 6MT SH-AWD for $5,500. Fingers crossed that the deal actual comes to fruition.
02AEMCL (04-21-2024)
Old 09-16-2022, 03:27 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

I have a prospect of a 6MT SH-AWD for $5,500. Fingers crossed that the deal actual comes to fruition.
Good luck!!!!
Ascension (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 11:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by echodigital
Good luck!!!!
Thanks, however unfortunately, the seller stopped responding... The hunt continues.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:50 AM
Pro

I found another 6MT prospect in MI, and will be going to check out the car, and test drive it, tomorrow. Fingers crossed that this is the one.
Old 11-12-2022, 04:52 PM
Pro

I can't believe that I'm typing this right now.

In my driveway, next to my 2012 TL SH-AWD 6AT, there is now a 2011 TL SH-AWD 6MT. I have to clean it up a bit, and I won't be able to take care of the title transfer until Monday. So, you guys will have to wait for pictures until Monday, when everything is situated.

2011 Acura TL SH-AWD
6 speed manual transmission
Mayan Bronze exterior
Umber Brown interior

I'm in love with the color combination. I finally have myself a 6MT and Umber Brown.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ascension:
dopeboy1 (11-14-2022), vertigo2 (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 06:47 AM
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts
Wow, Mayan Bronze with the Umber Brown interior... I love my CBP over Umber but that's a real nice (and probably pretty rare) combo you've got there.
Ascension (11-15-2022)

Quick Reply: I had to do it. I just had to have both!